Apr

President Obama’s America

Obama-Lift

Bloomberg: Consumer Sentiment In U.S. Rose In April To Nine-Month High

Consumer confidence rose in April to a nine-month high, showing Americans are growing more upbeat about the economy as the labor market gains traction. The Thomson Reuters/University of Michigan final index of sentiment increased to 84.1 from a four-month low of 80 in March. The median projection in a Bloomberg survey of economists called for 83 after a preliminary April reading of 82.6. Consumers were more optimistic about current conditions than at any time since July 2007 as smaller ranks of the unemployed, near-record stock prices and higher property values help bolster household finances. Further strides in the labor market that generate bigger wage gains would provide additional impetus for the consumer spending that makes up almost 70 percent of the economy. “Consumer sentiment continues to chug higher,” said Brett Ryan, an economist at Deutsche Bank Securities Inc. in New York. “It means people are getting jobs or incomes are increasing or they feel a little bit more stable about their situation.”

Gains in sentiment are translating into stronger sales. Cars and light trucks sold in March at a 16.3 million annualized rate, the fastest since May 2007, following a 15.3 million pace the prior month. Purchases at General Motors Co., Ford Motor Co., Toyota Motor Corp., Nissan Motor Co. and Chrysler Group LLC all topped analysts’ estimates. “The economy is entering the second quarter on an improved trend,” Ellen Hughes-Cromwick, chief economist at Ford, said on an April 1 conference call. There are “some signs of improving wage and income gains. Very steady consumer confidence is also helping to be a support.” More job opportunities are helping underpin sentiment. Payrolls climbed by 192,000 workers in March after a 197,000 increase the previous month that was larger than first estimated, the Labor Department said earlier this month. Private payrolls, which exclude those at government agencies, exceeded the pre-recession peak for the first time.

More here

arianna-holmes-3-wraps-her-tiny-arms-aroundnbsppotus-in-the-oval-office-on-feb-1-2012

EIA: Solar-Electric Generating Capacity Increases Drastically In The Last Four Years

U.S. solar capacity increased significantly in the last 4 years. In 2010, the total solar capacity was 2,326 MW which accounted for a comparatively small fraction (0.22%) of the total U.S. electric generating. capacity. By February 2014, this capacity increased 418% to 12,057 MW, a 9,731 MW gain, and now accounts for almost 1.13% of total U.S. capacity. Net metered applications, which are generally intended to displace retail purchased power to lower the overall energy bill for a host site, have increased each year since 2010 at an annual rate of about 1,100 MW and now total 5,251 MW. Although sunny California has the largest net metered solar capacity (38% of the total), abundant sunshine is not the only growth factor for this sector. Net metered applications are typically incentivized through various state level programs. New Jersey and Massachusetts together represent an additional 21% of the total net metered solar capacity. Overall, nationally the growth in net metered photovoltaic capacity is fairly evenly split between residential and commercial applications.

Utility scale PV applications, which are 1 MW or greater, have also expanded significantly and currently account for 5,564 MW. In 2013 utility scale solar exceeded the capacity of net metered applications. Sunny states like California (2,702 MW, 49% of the total utility scale PV) and Arizona (960 MW, 17%) enjoy favorable siting conditions. However, North Carolina accounts for 340 MW or 6% of the total utility level solar capacity, and is the third leading state in this sector largely due to state incentives. In summary, the U.S. solar capacity has moved quickly from a relatively small contributor to the nation’s total electric capacity into a one of comparative significance. Much like the wind sector growth, which grew tremendously from 6,456 MW in January 2005 to 60,661 MW to January 2014, solar capacity is quite clearly up and coming.

More here

Hookemcrowd_20100809155938_640_480

Steve Benen: CFPB, Hard At Work

It doesn’t get enough attention, but I still consider the creation of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) one of the more important breakthroughs for progressive governance in the Obama era. That its work on our behalf tends to happen far from the spotlight somehow makes it more impressive – the agency’s work isn’t showy, it’s just effective. It was the CFPB that recently announced multi-million dollar fines for four mortgage insurers for “doling out illegal kickbacks to mortgage lenders in exchange for business.” It was the CFPB that cracked down on a lender for allegedly “paying illegal bonuses to employees who steered home buyers toward higher-interest loans.” It was the CFPB that ended 2013 with “a string of enforcement cases … on lending discrimination, mortgage servicing, online lending and credit card products.”

And it’s the CFPB that keeps adding to its to-do list. Federal regulators are investigating reports that lenders are pressuring thousands of college graduates to immediately repay their full student loan debt when a relative who co-signed the loans dies or files for bankruptcy. So, the CFPB is intervening on consumers’ behalf. The young people are feeling pushed around by lenders, so now they’ll have a government agency doing what they can’t: push back. Remember, congressional Republicans fought tooth and nail to destroy the CFPB, even using unprecedented, legally dubious schemes to prevent the agency from even getting to work. Fortunately for consumers, Republicans failed.

More here

2-president-barack-obama-greets-children-everett

Obama-UT-visit-cameras

barack_obama_with_children_at_chulalongkorn_university

151 Responses to “President Obama’s America”

1. 1 MightyPamela
    April 26, 2014 at 7:03 pm

Ok

2. April 26, 2014 at 7:07 pm

The L.A. chapter of the NAACP already gave Sterling an award in 2009, now this!

Kobe was fined earlier this year 100k for an anti-gay slur, Matt Barns currently on the L.A. Clippers was fined for using the N-word

• April 26, 2014 at 7:20 pm

Good for Kobe! Glad he didn’t sit this one out.

April 26, 2014 at 7:53 pm

I agree with Kobe, I couldn’t nor would I play for him. And what is wrong with the NAACP, I think they better think about honoring this man, unless they want to honor that rancher in Nevada too.

• 14 TrumpDog
        April 26, 2014 at 9:15 pm

My opinion of NAACP is not very high right now. Not because they were planning to honor someone who turned out to be a racist pig. What’s sick is they were contemplating honoring someone who had a known history of being a racist ;pig – even so far as discriminating against people of color. How obtuse of that organization! Does NO ONE do their homework there? Or were they given generous donations by Sterling therefore chose to look the other way…?
        They’d better not honor him in light of his past and present actions. If they do, I’m so done with them.

• 15 0388jojothecat
        April 26, 2014 at 9:36 pm

I am glad other players are speaking out but it is easier to say that you wouldn’t play for Sterling if you are not signed to that team. Especially when you also play for a fantastic coach and you value the fans who I am sure support the team.

3. April 26, 2014 at 7:09 pm

Hey, sexy people!! :cool:

April 26, 2014 at 7:09 pm

Congrats, MP and vc!! I noticed that we’re getting close to another milestone…. 25 million. O.M.G.

5. 25 Paulita
    April 26, 2014 at 7:11 pm

Thank you Nerdy Wonka for posting these healing pictures.

6. 27 Nerdy Wonka
    April 26, 2014 at 7:14 pm

LeBron James is not amused. Right on, sir!

April 26, 2014 at 7:44 pm

There’s no room for Sterling in any league or any neighborhood. He needs to go buy an island and sit there, and invite a whole lot of like-minded people to join him ~ and leave the rest of us the hell alone.

7. April 26, 2014 at 7:15 pm

What are your thoughts on Donald Sterling’s comments?

“If the reports are true, it’s unacceptable. It’s unacceptable in our league. It doesn’t matter if you’re white, black, Hispanic, whatever, all across the races. It’s unacceptable and as a commissioner in our league, they have to make a stand, and they have to be very aggressive with it. I don’t know what it’s going to be, but you just can’t have that in our league. We’re the model citizens of all sports around the world and because we’re the most recognizable, I mean, it figures. You see us all the time, you see our logos, you see our players, and for an owner to come out and say the things that he said, it’s very disrespectful, it’s very appalling and one of my best friends and dear friends plays on his team in Chris Paul and I haven’t had an opportunity to talk to him but I can only imagine what’s going through his head.”

How difficult would it be to play with that hanging over…

“I don’t know. I kind of waivered back and forth whether I would actually sit out. If our owner would come out and say the things that he said, I would really have to sit down with my teammates, talk to my family because at the end of the day, our family, and our teammates are way more important than that. Basketball is huge, obviously the playoffs have been unbelievable, and I hate the fact that something like this has to come out when the playoffs have been unbelievable and the game of basketball continues to grow, but there is no room for Donald Sterling in our league. There is no room for him.”

Does it make you angry?

“I’m not angry. Just disappointed more than anything. There is only 30 owners and 400-plus of us. For a player, I just think…I put my…I can only imagine if a player came out and said something of that stature what would happen to us as players. So, I believe in Adam [Silver], I believe in the NBA and they have to do something and do something very fast and quickly before this really gets out of hand. Like I said, *there is no room for Donald Sterling in our league*, man. There it is.”

• 30 99ts
      April 26, 2014 at 9:43 pm

I have never understood the logic of someone “owning” a sports team – guess it came about because of $$$ – and it invaded my world also – but it should never have been – because it is their passion, their sport and their livelihood it will be very difficult for the players to refuse to play – or for the coach to desert his team. There are no winners here.

April 26, 2014 at 10:22 pm

Money definitely makes the world go round, for good or bad.

• April 26, 2014 at 10:35 pm

Every professional team in the U.S. in owned by an individual or investment group. The only exception is the NFL’s Green Bay Packers, in which the fans are partial shareholders, and actually volunteer plowing snow covered seats prior to games.

• 33 99ts
          April 26, 2014 at 10:46 pm

I’m sure they are LP – still doesn’t make any sense to me – we try and instill the thought in our children
          “to love the game beyond the prize” – but everything they see about sport reeks of money.

• April 26, 2014 at 10:53 pm

That is not the worst of it, 99. The owners blackmail city councils to build 500 million dollar brand new stadiums, or threaten to leave the city to a more *tax break* friendly atmosphere…..leaving huge budget shortfalls that end up with public sector employees getting the boot, and if a team does leave the entire economy built around downtown food/hospitality/etc… is decimated.

8. April 26, 2014 at 7:20 pm

In response to the allegations about racist remarks attributed to Donald Sterling on a recorded conversation, National Basketball Players Association president and Los Angeles Clippers’ point guard Chris Paul and NBPA adviser and Sacramento mayor Kevin Johnson issued statements about the situation:

Statement from Chris Paul NBPA President https://twitter.com/CP3

“On behalf of the National Basketball Players Association, this is a very serious issue which we will address aggressively. We have asked Mayor Kevin Johnson to expand his responsibilities with the NBPA, to determine our response and our next steps. As players, we owe it to our teams and our fans to keep our focus on our game, the playoffs, and the drive to the Finals.”

Statement from Mayor Kevin Johnson (former player)

“The reported comments made by Clippers owner Donald Sterling are reprehensible and unacceptable. The National Basketball Players Association must and will play a very active role in determining how this issue is addressed. There needs to be an immediate investigation and if the reports are true, there needs to be strong and swift action taken. I have spoken with NBPA President Chris Paul and will be leading the NBPA in addressing the implications of this serious matter. I will be formally reaching out to the NBA today to determine our next steps. While I originally came on to lead the Executive Director search, this issue requires immediate attention from the players association. I will be keeping Chris Paul, the Executive Committee, and all player representatives informed of every step.”

• 37 99ts
      April 26, 2014 at 10:27 pm

“if the reports are true” – funny how what is recorded on tape may not be true – not to mention previous statements.

Be nice if Rachel researched this guy like she researched Bundy. Might also be time for some deep research into a few members of the SCOTUS

9. April 26, 2014 at 7:22 pm

Remember.

• 39 99ts
      April 26, 2014 at 10:05 pm

And I have no doubt the fools of the WHPC are ignoring his Asian impact and screaming for comments on the racist statements by Bundy and Sterling. When he replies – it will start all over – as it did with Trayvon.

10. April 26, 2014 at 7:23 pm

EVERYTHING about this Administration is a SUCCESS.

But you certainly wouldn’t know it since MSM blacklists anything that hints at accomplishment by our President and his team. They must be seething with jealousy.

If you want to know why Americans are so ill-informed, look no further than our pathetic MSM/Koch.

Many Americans who grew up with TV rely on broadcast network news or network radio (e.g., @knx1070, which airs CBS radio network news at the top of every hour – since Angelenos are in their cars a lot, many people here get CBS national news on their daily commute).

I don’t get worked up about cable news viewers (whether Fox or MSNBC) because they are viewed by a fraction of the US population.

But our MSM is truly a disgrace.

1) PBO in Japan:

Judging by TOD, MSM/Koch has declared PBO’s visit to Japan as disappointing or as a failure (I no longer read tweets from most in the MSM, so I’m grateful when TODville links to pertinent tweets).

Gosh, Japan views the outcome a bit differently.

2) PBO in Malaysia:

Today’s NYT home page has only a single mention of Malaysia, and that’s to report on the status of flight MH370.

11. April 26, 2014 at 7:24 pm

Sorry I’m late to this. From Thursday.

Anyone who wants to know what motivates President Obama merely needs to look at ANY of his handwritten messages. PBO is pretty much an open book, but RWNJ and MSM/Koch refuse to listen.

April 26, 2014 at 7:37 pm

Beautiful!

• 46 Paulita
      April 26, 2014 at 7:38 pm

Remember when pres. candidate Obama left this prayer at the Wailing Wall in Israel? I had mixed feelings about it being removed and published, but I have always been struck by his humility.

Lord,

Protect my family and me. Forgive me my sins and help me guard against pride and despair.

Give me the wisdom to do what is right and just.

And make me an instrument of your will.

I would add that I do believe the Lord is listening.

12. 50 Nerdy Wonka
    April 26, 2014 at 7:24 pm

He thinks he’s slick. He’s been known to run his mouth about every topic under the sun and now he’s shy.

April 26, 2014 at 7:28 pm

I’m out of control. These people make me sick.

April 26, 2014 at 8:01 pm

Wrong answer Mark Cuban, there is and should always be time to talk about racism and your answer made me question if you aren’t buddy buddy with Donald Sterling.

April 26, 2014 at 8:21 pm

Your answer should have been Mr. Cuban, this matter need to be look into and if true, something must be done because we can not or will not accept racism from anyone, owners, players, or fans. That should have been your answer Mark Cuban.

• 54 99ts
        April 26, 2014 at 10:32 pm

Well stated anniebella – it is never the time to discuss it according to some folks.

13. April 26, 2014 at 7:27 pm

It’s hard to choose the worst neo-con out there.

They’re all horrible, except for those who have learned from the Bush foreign policy disaster (thinking of David Frum).

But John Bolton is menace to all living creatures.

My one and only response to Bolton (last month):

April 26, 2014 at 7:34 pm

Love your tweet, Arapaho! Mine’s like a teenager on Facebook, but that’s my mood:

• 57 Ladyhawke
      April 26, 2014 at 7:43 pm

GWB RECESS APPOINTED THIS MAN AMBASSADOR TO THE UNITED NATIONS

John Bolton on United Nations

April 26, 2014 at 8:05 pm

Do we give a dam what Jim Bolton think about President Obama? Come on really. He didn’t vote for Obama, Bolton was and still is a dam fruitcake, who wasn’t successful at his job.

April 26, 2014 at 8:16 pm

These idiots like Bolton want POTUS to start another war. They don’t get it, we are tired of war and that is thanks to G.W. Bush and Cheney.

• 60 Dudette
        April 26, 2014 at 8:41 pm

In the words of the great sage, Snoop Dogg…[you know the rest] :-D

• 61 kathleenp444
      April 26, 2014 at 8:41 pm

there are so many levels of outrageousness to this man and his ‘opinion’. i can’t even. he should be rotting in a fifth world prison. (apologies to all fifth worlds).

14. April 26, 2014 at 7:30 pm

And finally, here’s my contribution to “this week in review.”

From Thursday, ICYMI.

Clueless @jimacostacnn RT’d the tweet with the instagram pic. How could he not see the “WTF” expression on President Obama’s face directed to him?

15. 63 GGail
    April 26, 2014 at 7:38 pm

While it’s no secret that Sterling is a slum landlord, I’m looking at the timing of this recorded statement with a side eye. This is the first time that the Clippers is in the Playoffs and the Lakers are not.

Do we know who leaked the recording? I have not listened to it, nor will I click on the story. I feel for the Clipper players who have worked so hard for so long for this Playoff. I wish them strength and courage to remain focused and drown out the drama.

I remember when Kobe did give serious consideration to moving over to the Clippers.

16. 64 MightyPamela
    April 26, 2014 at 7:59 pm

Once again, NW, Chipsticks, you’ve done me in. I spent so long on the previous thread, I forgot to eat lunch. Which is fine, I’m not anywhere close to starvation. Trying to formulate a comment in a matter-of-fact (to me) manner: No one even slightly aware of technology could consider all the faces in the many photos of PBO with crowds of people – military, children, people in foreign countries – no one would imagine ALL those photos could be photoshopped to create an impression. No one. Not boner, not cantorwon’t, not mcconnell. What I find most enormous to grasp is the countless millions by now, who have touched PBO, hugged him, seen him up close, wanted to touch him, and he has reached out to those millions, returned the handshakes, the handclasp, the hugs. Millions by now, over the years. With no sign of abating. He seems to walk through every moment of his life fully aware, fully conscious, fully present. I noticed when he was in Oso earlier this week, as one of the first responders brought his two young sons up to meet the President, PBO had a distinct and remarkable shift in his already fine attention span: he immediately connected with those two young boys, asked their names, shook their hands, gently turned them so the photos could be taken. That is what I call LightWork. He lives in a place of Light and Energy, he carries it within, and he channels it into everyone he meets, everything he does. What a fine example of how far our human race might go, if only we can learn from people like President Obama. I include the First Lady in this view, because she also has an enormous capacity to connect with others on a true heart level. The Asian people will see this quality and character far more quickly and clearly than westerners do. Those of us who see, recognize and embrace the gift we have been given in the Obamas are well on the way to becoming part of the biggest change on Earth witnessed in a very, very long time. I mean all of you, TODObots, and BlogChieftessess! Isn’t this just the most exciting time to be alive?

• 65 Paulita
      April 26, 2014 at 8:32 pm

This why you are Mighty Pamela.

• 66 kathleenp444
      April 26, 2014 at 8:44 pm

‘Lightwork’. I love this concept, and you’re so right, MP. thanks.

• 67 MightyPamela
      April 26, 2014 at 9:09 pm

It is clear to me, and I’m sure to HZ, and many of us here, that as we all focus on this particular energy, and maintain our own heart connection, through sharing our thoughts here, we all contribute to make the Light bigger, broader, more encompassing, more inclusive, and very real. We ALL become Light, and this is where we can take the future. PBO is a living demonstration of how to do this, to live in this state of consciousness. The wonderful thing is, we do not go there alone, but in a group, and as the group engages, we are all better people for it. Very real. Very exciting! Very wonderful. It is a worldwide energy form, and all you have to do to be in it, is to Be In It! It’s not about any one of us, it’s about the positive group effort and dynamic. That is what I’ve been hearing PBO saying for all these years. Blessings. So many blessings! :)

April 26, 2014 at 9:46 pm

You had me wanting to tear up and wanting to cheer! Beautiful, MightyPamela. Thank you so much.

• 73 Betsy
      April 26, 2014 at 10:15 pm

This^^^. Beautifully written, MightyPamela!

• 74 jackiegrumbacher
      April 26, 2014 at 10:15 pm

MP, this is brilliantly and beautifully stated. I agree with every word and especially love the idea of LightWork. In a real sense, our president has evolved to another to another level and shown us all what that could be like for all of us if we could grow beyond ugly hatred, ignorance and prejudice. On his own, he has done wonders. Imagine what more evolved people could do for humanity and the planet.

17. 75 Judith Fardig
    April 26, 2014 at 8:01 pm

Love the sincere and abundant hugs and smiles In President Barack Obama’s America and wherever he goes in the world. We know he’s a treasure. Such a crying shame the lousy media in this country makes it hard for some of our fellow Americans to appreciate how lucky we are to have him.

April 26, 2014 at 8:12 pm

Judith, I tell anyone I talk to about politics, that I am proud of our President and our First Lady. All the B.S. they have had to deal with, but yet they have shown class and dignity, hail their head high and gone about doing their job.

• 77 Judith Fardig
        April 26, 2014 at 8:18 pm

Me, too Anniebella and MP. That’s why TOD is such a pleasure for all of us Obama admirers and defenders!

18. 84 Dudette
    April 26, 2014 at 8:15 pm
    • 85 99ts
      April 26, 2014 at 10:51 pm

Surely they can do nothing less – else they might as well donate to the GOP and start supporting Bundy.

April 26, 2014 at 8:19 pm

Rough day
    To sit and watch
    The goings-on.

Just when you think
    People are
    Coming together
    Might come together
    Someone’s voice
    On audio
    Or written words
    Passed around
    Open up the door
    To an ache to the heart.

But the good will out
    More and more we
    Call them out
    More and more we
    Band together
    Fighting the same fights
    But fighting, nevertheless.

We should carve up
    Each day and each evening
    Into periods where we
    Only sit back in wonderment
    About the positive nature
    Of our collective existence:
    The planet that still holds us up
    The air that still lets us breathe
    The music that still makes us
    Stop and close our eyes.

Our spirits that won’t let go.

Between a rock and a hard place,
    But the good will out.
    The good will out.

20. 94 anniebella
    April 26, 2014 at 8:28 pm

I got a email from some Hillary Clinton supporters asking me if I could host a house party for Hillary? My answer to them, Hell No. All my effort will go toward 2014, I am not concern about 2016.

• 95 Dudette
      April 26, 2014 at 8:38 pm

Tell them MIGHT support her AFTER you see her work her ass off to help Dems win back the house and keep the Senate THIS year!

• 96 Roberta in MN
      April 26, 2014 at 9:27 pm

I heard Ambassador Carolyn Kennedy endorsed Hillary tis week, after meeting with the President? Heard anything about that?

• April 26, 2014 at 9:34 pm

She said IF Hillary is the nominee of course she will support her.

April 26, 2014 at 9:40 pm

No, I believe Caroline merely said that if Hillary would decide to run – and after being asked this next part, specifically, because she had endorsed our guy in ’08 – she could or would vote for her. That’s what any of us would say more or less, just to keep a Democrat in the White House, if I may add that! She handled the reporter (who may have been the asinine Chuck Todd) expertly. Even deftly. :)

April 26, 2014 at 9:48 pm

Dudette, I sure will tell them that, thank you.

April 26, 2014 at 8:32 pm

In a meeting with government loyalists this week, Putin called the Internet a “C.I.A. project” that has “evolved in this manner”—that is, with interests opposed to Russia’s—ever since its creation. (Though the technical foundation of what became the Internet was laid with the help of the U.S. government, it has long since slipped from American, or any other government’s, possession.) Until recently, it seemed as though the very existence of the World Wide Web was a safeguard against a major crackdown on mass communication by governments. Even if traditional media has come under government pressure, the thinking went in Russia, the Internet remained a realm of free public exchange. But free exchange is the very reason Putin sees the Internet as a major threat.

Putin’s ominous statement followed a continuous line of measures—laws, bills, and initiatives—aimed at restricting online communication in Russia. One recently passed law enables the government to block Web sites without a court ruling (a few have already been blocked). Another bill mandates that bloggers with more than three thousand followers bear the same legal responsibility as mass-media companies, meaning, for example, that such bloggers can be fined if they post inaccurate information. In the Russian legal environment, where court rulings in politically sensitive cases are commonly guided by instructions from, or simple loyalty to, the Kremlin, any unwelcome information will be easily categorized as “inaccurate.” A municipal legislator in Moscow expressed concern that “the special services cannot establish full control over bloggers.” She was especially outraged by bloggers who have voiced doubts over the Kremlin’s policy in Crimea following Russia’s annexation of the peninsula. The city legislature has suggested that such doubts be treated as provocative and “extremist,” a criminal offense commonly used against civic activists and protesters.

• 101 Layla
      April 26, 2014 at 8:35 pm

Ok now, Vlad needs a straight jacket!!!

• April 26, 2014 at 8:57 pm

TsarVlad thinks his ego is a terrible thing to waste. I hope he remembers that the higher you rise, the harder you fall.

• 106 jackiegrumbacher
      April 26, 2014 at 10:30 pm

Putin has just gone too far. He’s getting nuttier by the day and is freaking out because everyone isn’t falling in line with his wish to conquer and control. How dare anyone question him, fight back or hamper him with sanctions. He’s lashing out with insane theories about things he doesn’t understand–like modern communication technology. He’s a dangerous man and is turning Russia into a hell hole.

April 26, 2014 at 8:57 pm
  23. 110 Melanie
    April 26, 2014 at 8:57 pm

photo/1

24. 113 carolyn
    April 26, 2014 at 9:06 pm

The world loves him! Our MSM is so purposefully blind………they show up their ugliness and envy all the time.

• 114 99ts
      April 26, 2014 at 9:15 pm

They adore him Carolyn – I’m just catching up – the pictures are spectacular & the looks on the faces of those surrounding PBO say it all – to know him is definitely to love him

The US media people and the hate they support are generating their own fate – they are ignored, distrusted and disliked – as it should be.

25. April 26, 2014 at 9:18 pm

Watching BBC World. It did a story on PBO’s trip to Malaysia. Laid out clearly what PBO was doing in his “pivot to Asia”, and the tricky waters he faces. The media doesn’t have to fawn over PBO; it just needs to report accurately.

26. April 26, 2014 at 9:32 pm
  27. 118 Nerdy Wonka
    April 26, 2014 at 9:44 pm

So much ducking, bobbing, weaving, twisting of words, and twisting himself into a pretzel to pretend the world didn’t hear what it heard in that tape.

• 119 99ts
      April 26, 2014 at 11:04 pm

From the article “….league “plans to get to the bottom” of whether a recording alleged to be Sterling making racist comments is authentic.”

guess they are going to prove – yet again – that a racist isn’t a racist – he just sounds, looks and lives like one.

28. 120 sabreen60
    April 26, 2014 at 9:50 pm

I’m just catching up. The photos are wonderful. I know of no other place than the Obama Diary to get such excellent coverage of President Obama’s travels. Thank you NW. This Asian trip is fantastic.

29. 122 Nerdy Wonka
    April 26, 2014 at 9:51 pm

Ahhh…the David Stern handbook. We see you, Adam Silver.

April 26, 2014 at 9:51 pm
    • 124 jackiegrumbacher
      April 26, 2014 at 10:35 pm

Oh boy, hf. If Putin is freaking out now, he’s going to go hellsapoppin loony when his own money is at stake.

• 125 99ts
      April 26, 2014 at 11:06 pm

I never stop thinking as to how the lives of the “ordinary people” would be so improved if those with the political power did more than use it to accumulate (and hide) wealth. Truly sad.

• 126 Lovepolitics2008
      April 26, 2014 at 11:17 pm

40 Billions ??? Wow, how did he amass that kind of money ???

Sadlly, I don’t think that losing money is that important for Putin. He’s clearly become completely delusional. He has one obsession: rebuild USSR, or at least,

• 127 Lovepolitics2008
        April 26, 2014 at 11:27 pm

(sorry, pushed the wrong button before the end of my comment)

… at least, take back all the republics who are not NATO members.

Putin has become such a megalomaniac, I suspect he’s willing to lose all his money just for the glory of being the “Hero” who will restore the prestige of Russia.

Poor fool. He’s doing exactly the opposite. He’s isolating Russia from the rest of the world. He’s making the whole world lose respect for Russia. And within Russia, he won’t be popular for long; people will wake up pretty quickly when their economy goes down in the toilet, and civil liberties, freedom of the press, freedom of the Internet are destroyed, bit by bit.

April 26, 2014 at 9:52 pm
  32. April 26, 2014 at 9:55 pm
  33. April 26, 2014 at 9:56 pm

Sorry, VC. Should have refreshed before posting.

April 26, 2014 at 9:59 pm

That’ll be two demerits for ya, Bob. :)

How are you this evening, sir? Glad to see you around and about.

• 141 globalcitizenlinda
        April 26, 2014 at 11:53 pm

ha! the talk of demerits reminds me of my catholic education – the ultimate punishment from the nuns

April 27, 2014 at 12:00 am

Bob would never earn them (with all he does!!!), but I had that same catholic education and never got any demerits either (I would now, I’m sure!).

I once was sent to the principal’s office to ask for the resident jar of cold cream (now I’m thinking how germ-filled that was!), to remove my eye makeup during the school day – eye makeup was a definite no-no in the early ’60s, in my school. The principal handed me the jar and gave me the nastiest look I think I’ve ever gotten in my entire life. I think it’s where the expression “If looks could kill” came from – Ha. That’s where we all had to develop our sense of humor, just to get through it, from my POV!

April 26, 2014 at 10:05 pm

Hi-ya, Bobfr. No apo needed. Some people will need to see the reminder twice. ;) ;)

April 26, 2014 at 10:02 pm
  35. April 26, 2014 at 10:03 pm
    • 146 Vicki
      April 26, 2014 at 10:10 pm

Adam Silvers presser was wholly inadequate. I get that he has to appear measured and be the adult in charge.
      Nevertheless this seems to be a moment to step up not stand back.

April 26, 2014 at 10:04 pm
    April 26, 2014 at 10:05 pm
    April 26, 2014 at 10:07 pm
  39. 151 globalcitizenlinda
    April 26, 2014 at 10:19 pm

kids are indeed the future