Apr

The President in Malaysia: An Image or Two

President Obama at the Young South East Asian Leaders Initiative Town Hall, at the University of Malaysia, in Kuala Lumpur

@usembassykl: Pres. @BarackObama meeting with @usembassykl staff & American families in special meet & greet session

President Obama tours the National Mosque in Kuala Lumpur

President Obama talks with Grand Imam Sheikh Ismail Muhammad during his visit to the National Mosque

President Obama & National Security Advisor Susan Rice at a bilateral meeting with Malaysian PM Najib Razake

President Obama and Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak smile as they participate in a joint news conference at the Prime Minister’s Office in Putrajaya

President Obama talks to kids as they work with computers during a visit to the Malaysian Global Innovation and Creativity Centre in Cyberjaya

President Obama arrives at a town hall meeting at Malaya University in Kuala Lumpur

MoooOOOooorning!

157 Responses to “The President in Malaysia: An Image or Two”

April 27, 2014 at 8:00 am

The Malaysian people LOVE their (our) President!!! :) :) G’morning Chips & TOD! Happy Sunday everyone.

April 27, 2014 at 8:02 am

• 6 jackiegrumbacher
      April 27, 2014 at 8:31 am

Wow, the word has really gone far and wide about the Sterling scumbag. He won’t be able to run or hide anywhere in the world.

April 27, 2014 at 8:35 am

PBO was asked the question about Sterling by Chuck Todd, whose motive I suspected was to trap the President into to making some race-related comment that could be then spun negatively by the US media. But PBO apparently did not give Chuckie the “gotcha” he was so desperately seeing.

See more of Nerdy Wonka’s live tweets on the previous thread or directly from her Twitter TL.

• April 27, 2014 at 8:42 am

Loved this Hopefruit:

April 27, 2014 at 8:47 am

Yes, this was an excellent response indeed! Of course we all know that PBO was also speaking to/about Chuckles and his colleagues in the WHPC. :) :)

April 27, 2014 at 8:47 am

Shorter PBO: “Please proceed Chuckie.”

• 11 jackiegrumbacher
            April 27, 2014 at 8:47 am

That, Nerdy, is the wisdom of the ages in two simple sentences. When people are making fools of themselves, don’t interrupt them.

• 12 HZ
              April 27, 2014 at 1:00 pm

Jackiegrumbacher, good morning. You wrote exactly what came to my thoughts. I remember my precious grandmother always telling me that same thought pattern. I thought President Obama gave a perfect answer to little Chuckie. HZ

• 13 99ts
          April 27, 2014 at 9:30 am

The US media is a world laughing stock – they cannot stop asking questions related to domestic matters when the President is busy with foreign issues. When the President has to explain the question to his hosts – the media deserves to be buried – preferably head first. They are scum – they have no care about racism – they simply want a reply that they can use to attack the President.

• 14 SUE DUVALL SMITH
            April 27, 2014 at 12:42 pm

DITTO HERE 99……………..THE MEDIA IS A LAUGHING STOCK AND ILOVE THESE PIX CHIPS…I LOVE SEEING THE PRESIDENT LOVED AND RESPECTED SOOO MUCH…QUITE A CHANGE FROM THE ANTI-AMERICANS WHO LIVE IN THE STATES! YOU GO PBO!…YOU ARE LOVED!

• 17 globalcitizenlinda
          April 27, 2014 at 9:37 am

no doubt about Chuck Todd’s motive – he wanted to put PBO at the center of the racial issue of the day;

kind of surprised he didn’t include that ranch person in the question too ;

note : I am trying not to include the names of these two out-and-about racists

April 27, 2014 at 9:43 am

As amk would say: Egg.Zack.Lee

Chuckles and the media are so transparent, and they’re resorting to the same ridiculous tactics which may have worked back in 2009 or 2010 (recall the Skip Gates/Officer Crowley kerfuffle) but will NOT work in 2014.

• 19 globalcitizenlinda
              April 27, 2014 at 10:03 am

yep, they wanted a repeat of the outrage that led to the “Beer Summit”;

but they are not going to get any – sorry media idiots

• 20 HZ
            April 27, 2014 at 1:11 pm

Globalcitizenlinda, I am not surprised and here is one of my reasons. That ‘ranch business is a business that the administration will have to deal with in its proper timing coming up; the other is one that he can have a remark about to reinforce the issue that has a common note that can hit to the heart of people all over this gold in some form or fashion; and POB was very wise to stay with little Chuckie’s ignorance and move on with his own beautiful grace, brilliance and dignity. And that is why you and I love him so. We will be fine. He is a world class man, and definitely a world class president. We are so blessed.HZ

April 27, 2014 at 8:04 am

4. April 27, 2014 at 8:04 am

Great pictures; such a wonderful ambassador for the United States! I love how connected our President is to the kids he meets…

5. 23 Don
    April 27, 2014 at 8:09 am

All those brown faces in the crowd, the love they show President Obama pours out.

April 27, 2014 at 8:15 am

No matter where he goes – brown faces, black faces, white faces – he receives an outpouring of love, good will, excitement, and that drives a certain segment of the US and a minority of idiots in the corporate media raging green with jealousy.

April 27, 2014 at 8:13 am

Chips I’m hoping there will be some archived video of all of these pressers/town halls/speeches from our President’s Asian tour. I’ve missed quite a few of them due to the time zone difference. I will check on YouTube or WH website as well.

• April 27, 2014 at 8:14 am

They’ve been pretty slow to upload them Hopefruit, but there are a few here:

April 27, 2014 at 8:16 am

Oh great – thanks Chips. That’s a good start. Will keep checking back as time goes on. :)

• April 27, 2014 at 8:22 am

My pleeeeeeasure! When the trip ends we’ll do a recap and include anything we missed!

April 27, 2014 at 8:25 am

Perfect.
            You.Are.The.Best. :)

• 36 Vicki
            April 27, 2014 at 9:41 am

Good morning, all especially Chips and Hopefruit who have expressed precisely what I’m thinking aboout this morning.
            bravo to those who watch PBO at 2:00 in the morning, but I am asleep and will be so grateful for anything posted.
            The clip of POTUS speaking about Sterling on the last thread made my day.

Up with Steve Kornacki spent a good long time with NY reporters covering what I’ve been writing about here at TOD for weeks now: Cuomo’s support amongst Dems is shrinking and Joan Walsh said “Cuomo is usung the Christie strategy.”
            Good start on truth.
            NY Media is still quiet on the REAL BIG Cuomo Sin which is that he connived with 5 Democrats to “breakaway” from their NY State Senate majority and handed the gavel to the Republican party.
            The Working families Party may or may not run a candidate against Awful Andrew Cuomo

• 38 jackiegrumbacher
      April 27, 2014 at 8:38 am

What a perfect response to a difficult question about a racism in the US. He so right that part of the reason these statements stand out is because we believe that we’ve moved beyond them and it shocks us to realize that we haven’t. Of course, a huge part of the population is still dragging their racist knuckles and haven’t outgrown or moved beyond anything.

• 40 Vicki
      April 27, 2014 at 9:42 am

Yes, that’s the one in my comment just above. Great!!!!

April 27, 2014 at 8:31 am

Good morning everyone:) Beautiful pictures this morning..thanks so much for these, Chips! Walking in the National Mosque, he is shoeless…which makes perfect sense…we just don’t see it that often:) The outpouring of admiration is a beautiful sight to see….

8. 42 jackiegrumbacher
    April 27, 2014 at 8:45 am

One of the things that impresses me about images from all the nations the president visits is how beautiful the human race is, especially when people smile and show warmth and compassion. Country after country, we see glorious faces turned to our president and to each other and every one of them shows us, as Americans, what incredible beauty there is in diversity. I hope there is someday a book of international faces reacting to our president–the smiles, the admiration, the tears of joy, the hope. It would gives all of us a sense of pride for being part of a world where such beauty is possible.

April 27, 2014 at 8:53 am

So beautifully said, jackie. I agree many times over:)

• April 27, 2014 at 11:45 am

Very well said Jackie. Can you just imagine how popular our President would be in the U.s. If we had an honest media?

• 45 HZ
        April 27, 2014 at 1:28 pm

The Canvas of our humanity would be so elegantly beautiful and generously delicious, Jackie 4. So beautifully stated, Jackie G., and thank you for bringing it into our hearts and mind to enjoy and be so grateful to think on those thoughts.HZ

9. April 27, 2014 at 8:53 am

President Obama’s townhall at the Univ of Malaysia (forward to 25 minutes)

• 47 Nena20409
      April 27, 2014 at 9:24 am

Good Morning Chips and TODers.

I appreciate this site and the dedication for I have missed most of POTUS’ speeches in South East Asia. Like HF2, I look forward to catching up when all the videos are posted in sequence, here at TODable TODville ;)

Thank you Lady and I wholeheartedly salute you and NW >-I >-I >-I

10. 49 JER
    April 27, 2014 at 8:57 am

Good Morning Chips and TOD.

11. 51 JER
    April 27, 2014 at 9:16 am

April 27, 2014 at 9:20 am

• 53 Layla
      April 27, 2014 at 9:33 am

Yes Chuck and make sure you keep your tinfoil hat on when you ask him!

April 27, 2014 at 9:59 am

That is exactly what I was thinking, why don’t they ask the Republicans how they feel about Bundy and Sterling’s racism?

13. 55 JER
    April 27, 2014 at 9:25 am

14. 56 JER
    April 27, 2014 at 9:28 am

15. 57 Nena20409
    April 27, 2014 at 9:31 am

Twitter must Love the selfie promotion by POTUS.

Since the twitpic in IA of POTUS and FLOTUS hug and then the selfie at the Mandela memorial celebration with POTUS, Cameron and the PM of one EU nation………Twitter can’t get enough free publicity.

16. 61 JER
    April 27, 2014 at 9:37 am

17. 62 JER
    April 27, 2014 at 9:40 am

18. 63 JER
    April 27, 2014 at 9:43 am

Selfie!

April 27, 2014 at 9:48 am

Hear that media? And you can’t take that away from him.

20. 71 globalcitizenlinda
    April 27, 2014 at 9:54 am

morning everyone!

have a great day!

April 27, 2014 at 9:58 am

22. 81 anniebella
    April 27, 2014 at 10:01 am

I did get the chance to see POTUS Town Hall this morning, from start to finish.

April 27, 2014 at 10:08 am

Please retweet – those of you who are on Twitter :)

24. 83 globalcitizenlinda
    April 27, 2014 at 10:11 am

any doubt about the media’s anti-PBO strategy => keep the good news out and only cover “controversy” embarrassing issues, “manufactured scandals”, or when implementation of policy appears to go less than smoothly;

think about it, PBO has bee on the road since Tuesday and the only things you heard where when the media short-sightedly interprets long-term policy;

wouldn’t be surprised today if the media now focuses on PBO’s response to the question about the NBA billionaire and ignores WHY he is in Asia at all

• 84 Layla
      April 27, 2014 at 10:21 am

‘things you heard where when the media short-sightedly interprets long-term policy’ they do not interpret, imho, they just regurgitate the Koch talking points they are assigned each day

April 27, 2014 at 11:14 am

Well globalcitizenlinda, at least they aren’t spending their time telling us why a disappointment the trip is. Cause whenever I hear the media like Major Garret and CNN, CBS they always have to drop that bit of news in.

25. April 27, 2014 at 10:17 am

26. 89 sherijr
    April 27, 2014 at 10:20 am

I just want to say how much I appreciate travels with TOD and POTUS … if not for Chips, Nerdy and TOD I wouldn’t even know that our President was out of the country.. except for a few very small negative headlines on msn.com. I’m as always completely grateful to all of you. Thank you.

I do want to tell all of you about our experiences a few weeks ago at the Ben Carson Scholarship Award Ceremony. A few months back I told you that my 8th grade son won a $1000. college scholarship for an essay- put in by one of his teachers to the Carson Scholarship program. We attended the awards about 3 weeks ago, my ‘winning’ son and my middle adult son. It was fine- but weird too. I was informed by both sons before we left home- that I was to behave, no eye-rolling, no commentary ;( . Let me tell you I did well considering.

First off if anyone has wondered whatever happened to Sam Donaldson- he’s the opening act for Ben Carson.. mind you this is an awards ceremony for kids- mostly middle and high school age. But it got very political. After Donaldson regaled us with his history.. and what an awesome human Carson is- who’d make a swell President.. then Ben Carson and his wife both spoke. They said very little about the ‘scholars’ being awarded and far too much about politics… they gave out awards to 3 adults, one being that actor from ‘Growing Pains’- who’s name fails me at the moment- he stood out for his wacko speech, including informing us that people were mean to him online for believing that a woman should give birth to her rapist’s baby… yes he did say exactly that in front of 300 kids. Another of the awards went to a former football player/ radio dj here in Baltimore… who made it very clear that Ben Carson has Presidential aspirations to which there was a smattering of applause. Lots of “God” talk.. all of which I personally found underwhelming and hypocritical.

At one point all the kids had there photos taken individually wearing their medals… when we went to pick up the photos.. lo and behold there was Mr. and Mrs. Carson in the photo with our kid… looking as if they’d been standing next to our child in the pictures. Weird and lazy. At no point did Carson or his wife actually meet, touch or connect with any of these kids. It was in effect all about Ben Carson running for office… and frankly I almost suspect he’ll run as a teaparty candidate… as he intimated that repubs, dems and independents were all to be distrusted.

Even my 14 yr old son saw through the nonsense… both sons caught the sly comments that were made by the adult speakers directed at POTUS, without ever actually mentioning “Obama”. As in the healthcare law- Ben Carson commented that just because other nations have something for their citizens doesn’t mean America has to have it also. He made a huge speech about how awesome America is, how we literally single handedly won the second World War. He may have been a great surgeon/doctor… but he really has a screw loose in the humanity department in my opinion.

• 90 57andfemale
      April 27, 2014 at 10:54 am

Was the obnoxious actor kid Kirk Cameron? He deranged.

Using these children as political props is disgusting, and shame on Sam Donaldson.

Sorry you had to sit through that although we’re all proud of your son.

• 91 sherijr
        April 27, 2014 at 10:59 am

yes Kirk Cameron… I guess I just purposely tuned his name out.. thank you for the “proud of your son” me too :) Cameron’s voice caught more than once when he was speaking about being attacked online for his “beliefs”.. it was very inappropriate timing for his kind of speech.

• 92 57andfemale
          April 28, 2014 at 9:52 am

‘being attacked for his beliefs’, while he attacks people for their beliefs.

• 93 sherijr
            April 28, 2014 at 10:40 am

seriously. Typical teabagger/repub, imo… they are always the only victims… and yet reality proves they are generally the victimizers.

• 94 Judith Fardig
      April 27, 2014 at 11:13 am

Take the $ and run far away from Dr. Carson. All these conservative doctors who denounce the ACA are breaking their Hippocratic Oath, in my humble opinion. Sorry you and your family had to sit through such propaganda!

• 95 sherijr
        April 27, 2014 at 11:20 am

I agree Judith.. I honestly don’t get Carson at all. I’m glad we went, because it was an eyeopener.

April 27, 2014 at 11:50 am

These days every time I see Ben Carson’s name I feel like I want my money back on his first novel. I almost feel guilty for having recommended it to a couple of friends who had young children.

Congrats to your young’un, Sheri, and I’m very glad you went too, though I suspect it must have been quite painful! At least in this case the scholarship is something your son can make good use of. For what it’s worth, I truly appreciate this inside look on the workings of Carson’s ‘campaign’.

One of the things I reaffirmed about myself while traveling the high school route with my son, is that I really, truly hate award ceremonies. He got a few so of course I had to attend, and invariably you had to sit through these boring, often political (especially if it was an election year) and utterly irrelevant speeches which went on far too long. Finally, you got to see the recipients, who combined did not take a fraction of the time the ramblers took. I even hated the posing with the celebrity portion – of course if it had been FLOTUS or POTUS I would have felt differently. ;)

• 97 sherijr
            April 27, 2014 at 2:04 pm

When my two adult sons were growing up, we attended a few awards also.. but never have I encountered the political as with the Carson thing. I just don’t think it has any business being there when it was supposed to be about the kids achievements. The funny thing is, more than half of the 300 kids there were previous winners- however, they get nothing for a second, third, forth win… other than attendance at the ceremony… but there is a method to Carson’s madness- because I’m betting it cost him nothing to give out these few scholarships- and he gets lots of attention along with folks who come back year after year. I had some real mixed feelings about all of it. His posturing was off putting and the mixing of religion and politics with an award ceremony for kids/about kids.. felt too inappropriate.

• April 27, 2014 at 1:59 pm

Thanks, Sheri, for posting this to share the Ben Carson event. I watched the movie about his career on Netflix before he started his FOX affiliation and before I heard of his political leanings. It still startles me to hear doctors say that everyone is not deserving of medical care. I figure with the book, movie and his scholarship program Ben Carson is trying to build a legacy towards winning over support for his Presidential run.

• 99 sherijr
        April 27, 2014 at 2:15 pm

I’d never read his book, but did see his movie a while back, and really had no opinion of him. Apparently he’s been giving this award thing for 18 years.. and I’ll give the benefit of the doubt that it started altruistically .. perhaps ;) He has a definite attitude of: I got mine all by myself, thus you can do it too. He seems to have little regard for folks who may have never actually had a starting point- as in his case- a mother who pushed him. I don’t like him and he left me feeling just a bit greasy when it was all over.

27. April 27, 2014 at 10:21 am

28. April 27, 2014 at 10:21 am

• 104 Dudette
      April 27, 2014 at 10:25 am

Ha! Love that! Well done!

April 27, 2014 at 11:21 am

I also think Sterling is jealous of Magic Johnson, Magic was a great basketball player, that won many championships, then he became a great businessman, he own part of the L.A Dodgers, his business reputation is clean, unlike Sterling, now Magic is friends with the President of the U.S. Hay magic and his wife Cookie was at the First Lady 50th birthday party. Yes there is racism from Sterling, but there is also jealousy where it concerns Magic Johnson.

• 106 Paulita
        April 27, 2014 at 11:26 am

I think you are right about the jealousy angle: the green eyed monster makes people say and do many destructive things.

29. 107 Nena20409
    April 27, 2014 at 10:38 am

Thanks for the Town Hall Q&A with POTUS in Malaysia. Just awesome.

April 27, 2014 at 10:41 am

SUNDAY RIDDLE: If you had a bag containing 4 donuts, and you offered Mark 2, how many donuts would you have left?

April 27, 2014 at 10:52 am

I’m back!

Excellent work, Ms Sticks… and Ms Wonka!
    The only time I ever make time to visit Asia is on your trips. ;) You constantly outdo yourselves, and we are all the smarter for your efforts. Daily thanks!

April 27, 2014 at 10:55 am

Happy Sunday Morning/Evening/Night TODobots and friends!

The sun is shining beautifully, the air is fresh, and notwithstanding the hatred sticking its head out, life is good!

• April 27, 2014 at 10:58 am

Mooooooooorning VC!!!!

Nerdy? I LOVE CHELSEA!!!!!!!

April 27, 2014 at 11:04 am

Morning to you. You okay? I’ve noticed a strain of …..something… streaming in your comments in the last couple of days. Are you being blackmailed…. whitemailed…. emailed… to cheer for that team I won’t name?

32. April 27, 2014 at 11:05 am

Who is that fine bald-headed secret service guy around the President’s retinue? Swoon….:D

33. 127 anniebella
    April 27, 2014 at 11:05 am

They are talking about Donald Sterling now, even ESPN. But from what I am hearing the question need to be why weren’t they talking about him years ago because some people is saying that he has always been a racists creep. Magic Johnson will be on some NBA show today at 12:30pm on ABC.

34. 129 4morefor44
    April 27, 2014 at 11:12 am

love our president’s comment about being a good dad and husband as his main legacy. doubt he is thinking about this, but in light of the clintons, with the help of the mainstream media, forcing themselves on the public again, president obama’s legacy in that regard sure stands out, doesn’t it?

35. 130 Nena20409
    April 27, 2014 at 11:14 am

You THINK?

What took them so long?

“He is not receiving a lifetime achievement award from the NAACP,” Miller said on NBC’s “Meet the Press,” according to Politico.

Sterling, who has come under fire for allegedly telling his girlfriend not to bring black people to his games, was scheduled to receive an award from the Los Angeles NAACP chapter at an event in May.

36. 133 Nena20409
    April 27, 2014 at 11:17 am

Sports commentator Bryant Gumbel appeared on Meet the Press Sunday morning and argued that the National Basketball Association should be held accountable for Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling’s comments, given that his history of racism was well-documented.

“I guess I’m surprised that anyone is surprised,” Gumbel said. “Donald Sterling’s reputation is such that one could say that if you keep a vicious dog for a while, and you know he’s vicious, you can’t be surprised when it bites someone. Donald Sterling’s racial history is on the record. It has cost him money. It cost him his reputation long before this.”

• 134 Nena20409
      April 27, 2014 at 11:20 am

Bryant Gumbel continued with these words:

“And frankly, I’m kind of surprised that the NBA is being let off the hook on this. David Stern and the NBA owners knew what kind of a man Donald Sterling was long before this. In the same way—although I’m not equating the crimes—in the same that after Aaron Hernandez was charged with felonies, people wondered why the New England Patriots had him on their roster to begin with, one can sit here and say, well why did the NBA allow this man to own a team, when they knew what kind of person he was.”

37. April 27, 2014 at 12:00 pm

38. 145 Layla
    April 27, 2014 at 12:15 pm

I would LOVE to hear what Danny has to say about..well…anything, today

• April 27, 2014 at 12:18 pm

He’s grounded Layla, internet access denied, shredded his cushion in the garden, and I swear he winked at me when I discovered the carnage.

• 147 Layla
        April 27, 2014 at 12:20 pm

I LOVE that charmer!

April 27, 2014 at 12:32 pm

If you want my honest opinion. I think you are picking on the lad, AFTER deliberately placing temptations in his path – very unchristianlike.

• 149 Layla
          April 27, 2014 at 12:36 pm

I agree! Chips giveth Danny a ‘lab puter’ and then Chips taketh away!

April 27, 2014 at 12:43 pm

/whisper/ I think she doesn’t really want to share the posting accolades with him – he does such a great job – so she sets him up (/softer whisper/ like she does you ladies with wet O) and that way he gets grounded too often for us to fall irrevocably in love with his style. Think about it and see if you don’t agree with me. Every time he does a great job, the next day he’s grounded or has lost a privilege. Very fishy!

39. 151 Dakota
    April 27, 2014 at 12:16 pm

Good Morning TOD Family!

A happy Sunday to you all! What a wonderful privilege it is to come here and read about The President’s magnificent trip to Asia. He is so beloved and appreciated everywhere he goes.

I loved his answer to UpChuck about Sterling being ignorant. Change Sterling for Todd…Todd exposes American ignorance with every stupid question he asks. The President knows it’s coming, answers brilliantly and these jerks continue to look like fools on a global scale.

Looking forward to hearing Magic Johnson’s remarks on ABC this morning.

• 153 Layla
      April 27, 2014 at 12:24 pm

Quamvis vomitus!

April 27, 2014 at 12:36 pm

All I need is to read that headline to know that John Boehner is a bold face liar. When have the Republicans kept their promise, except to keep trying to repeal Obamacare and to sabotage this economy. Boehner is trying to cover himself because he made fun of the Republicans not wanting to take some vote.

• 156 HZ
        April 27, 2014 at 2:28 pm

Beautiful day to you, Chips. You are a beautiful spirit of love, a brilliant mind, and a dedicated person of truth, intellect, and respect. All that you do for us and the world here on this beautiful site will not be forgotten, Chips. Thank you so much my special angel. Your wings spread to all the world with our wonderful works of this great man, our President of the United States. {{{{{{{{{TY, my love.}}}}}}}}}}HZ

Oh, give my handsome Danny a nice blanket to rest and take in a little sun. He is so loveable and is only trying to show mom how much he loves being in that wonderful space. {{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{ Loving hugs to my grandson, Danny.}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}HZ

RSS OFA