May

#ObamaCare: A Big Win For Americans

obamacare

Dylan Scott: Obamacare’s March Enrollment Explosion To Hit 8 Million

Obamacare sign-ups almost doubled in the law’s final stretch, and more than doubled in the key young adult group, according to the final enrollment report released Thursday by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Enrollment sat at 4.2 million at the end of February, but exploded to 8 million by April 19, the new report said. Among those ages 18 to 34, the crucial young and invincible demographic, sign-ups doubled from 1.1 million to 2.2 million.

With enrollment closed, that group accounted for 28 percent of enrollees: lower than the administration was hoping for, but at a high enough level to sustain the law, according to health policy experts. The 36 states using HealthCare.gov had a particularly good month: Sign-ups more than doubled in the final stretch, from 2.6 million in the first five months to 5.4 million as of April 19.

More here

Igor Volsky: More Than A Million Young People Enrolled In Obamacare Last Month

Obamacare experienced a surge in enrollment last month, as nearly 3.8 million people selected a plan through the exchanges, including 1.2 million young people, administration officials announced on Thursday. The rush represented “an 89 precent increase in the cumulative number of individuals” who enrolled in a health care plan through the exchange between March 1 and April 19.
Cumulatively, more than 8 million people have enrolled in an Obamacare plan though state or federal marketplaces since the beginning of open enrollment. 2.2 million of those people — or 28 percent — are between the ages of 18 and 34.

The administration also confirmed that 4.8 million people enrolled in Medicaid or the Children’s Health Insurance Program (SCHIP), 5 million enrolled in coverage outside of the marketplaces, and 3 million young people were able to remain on their parents’ health care plans. For the first time, marketplace enrollees also self-reported their race and ethnicity. Of those who did, 62.9 percent are white, 16.7 percent are African American, and 10.7 percent are Latino.

More here

Greg Sargent: Politics Of Obamacare Get Scrambled Once Again

Here’s another unexpected way the politics of Obamacare are going to get scrambled in the days ahead – and not necessarily in the GOP’s favor — as the reality of mounting sign-ups sinks in. It turns out that several of the states with some of the hardest fought races of the cycle are also boasting some of the highest Obamacare sign-up numbers in the country. This is the news contained in new Obamacare marketplace sign-up data that the Department of Health and Human Services just released, which includes a state-by-state breakdown of sign-ups that wasn’t previously available. In Florida, some 983,000 people are now signed up for private insurance through the federal exchange — up from 442,000 at the end of February. This is in a state where the Dem candidate for Governor — Charlie Crist — happens to be running on a very pro-Obamacare message.

In North Carolina, some 357,000 people have now signed up for coverage through the federal exchange — up from 200,000 at the end of February. In Michigan, some 272,000 people have now signed up for coverage through the federal exchange — up from around 144,000 people at the end of February. On top of that, the Medicaid expansion is kicking in, which will add hundreds of thousands more. A couple others: In Georgia, the sign-ups are now at around 316,000, and in Louisiana they’re at around 101,000. these numbers will make it harder and harder for Republicans to continue pretending the law’s beneficiaries don’t exist — even in states that constitute tough political terrain for the law and Democratic candidates.

More here

121 Responses to “#ObamaCare: A Big Win For Americans”

1. May 1, 2014 at 5:32 pm

Obama’s America seems mighty fine.

2. 11 GGail
    May 1, 2014 at 5:34 pm

Oh, and Congrats on First LL :D

3. 12 GGail
    May 1, 2014 at 5:35 pm

Jesse Lee has worked very hard to compile this information!

4. May 1, 2014 at 5:39 pm

Utterly glooooooorious news, thank yooooooooou Nerdy!!

May 1, 2014 at 5:40 pm

6. 16 JER
    May 1, 2014 at 5:42 pm

May 1, 2014 at 6:08 pm

I’ve tried that MarketWatch link 4 times and get ‘Page not Found’ each time.

May 1, 2014 at 6:14 pm

It opened for me. Not sure what the problem is.

May 1, 2014 at 6:25 pm

Probably didn’t like the look of me. ;) Will try again later.

May 1, 2014 at 6:30 pm

Did you click on it directly in the tweet, J, cause it’s still frowning at me? O well, I’ll take it as a sign that *I* am not to read this particular article. No problemo; one less to worry about. ;)

• 22 GGail
        May 1, 2014 at 6:29 pm

It opened for me too vc, but I’m using my super computer here at work….at home, probably would be like you

• May 1, 2014 at 6:55 pm

I have a feeling that’s what will be up in the next contract negotiations between our union and the library system.

• 24 GGail
        May 1, 2014 at 7:20 pm

It’s a little too late for me, but I would have loved having Obamacare as my medical coverage of choice over my employer provided coverage.

7. 25 yardarm756
    May 1, 2014 at 5:43 pm

May 1, 2014 at 5:56 pm

^^^ THIS. And it’s a good reminder for the +50 crowd, some of whom thought they could rest on their laurels.

Piece from the transcript:

David Cobb: Righteous anger can only be provoked by anger at injustice, at our unfairness, and I’m angry about the fact that we’ve got 20-25% of the children in the richest country in the world who go to bed hungry or undernourished every night. I’m angry about the fact that we have transnational corporations that are destroying the planet that we depend upon for life itself. And I’m angry about the fact that the world that’s being created with the rape and plunder of Mother Earth is a racist, sexist, and class-oppressive society. You bet I’m angry. I’m angry because it doesn’t have to be this way.

• 27 GGail
      May 1, 2014 at 6:06 pm

This should be sent to every high school and college age person on FB.

• May 1, 2014 at 6:13 pm

Happy Belated Birthday Yardarm. :)

• May 1, 2014 at 6:38 pm

Thank you for posting it, sailor. Very important message, for sure.

I have not visited that site, but thanks to you I also was able to watch this …

I love America, and most Americans truly get what loving America is supposed to mean.

#FORWARD

8. 44 Vicki
    May 1, 2014 at 5:43 pm

Thanks Nerdy. The Great Good News keeps rolling along.
    15+ Million today.
    How many by Election Day? Remember Medicaid and SCHIP never close.
    Obamacare for Small Business stays open.
    And a “qualifying life change” divoce, job loss, death of spouse–Obamacare is open for you.

9. 45 Nerdy Wonka
    May 1, 2014 at 5:44 pm

May 1, 2014 at 5:47 pm

STOP! NW, I’m getting carpal tunnel syndrome R/Ting all these beauties! THANKS for this wonderful news, from looks like all 50 states!

11. 51 JER
    May 1, 2014 at 5:53 pm

12. 52 Nerdy Wonka
    May 1, 2014 at 5:56 pm

13. May 1, 2014 at 6:03 pm

14. May 1, 2014 at 6:05 pm

15. May 1, 2014 at 6:13 pm

May 1, 2014 at 6:22 pm

At Least 50,000 Gallons of Crude Oil Missing After Train Derailment

17. May 1, 2014 at 6:27 pm

Happy May Day everyone! Happy Belated Birthday to those I’ve missed. I think we’re now in the month that has a lot of Birthdays. My money B’day is Sunday. 😒 Thanks to the BTs for your hard work at posting all the news. I’ve only skimmed it. My wrist is tired too after deleting about a thousand emails. Still have a few hundred to go.

18. May 1, 2014 at 6:35 pm

I’m confused by a couple things I hope someone will explain to me. . .
    What was Jon Karl asking Jay “Clark Kent”?
    What was Dowdypants whiffing about? Neither made any sense to me.

19. May 1, 2014 at 6:38 pm

Bob, don’t hate me. . .

20. 92 Vicki
    May 1, 2014 at 6:48 pm

The Big NYC news today is that Mayor de Blasio and the teacher’s union reached an agreement and a 9 year contract. The teachers did very very well. Raises and retro back pay, workplace reform and more.
    The teachers and most NYC workers have had expired contracts for a long time. Teachers contracts expired in 2009.

Bloomberg bragged about balanced budgets. Balanced on the backs of city workers. He is so not missed.
    Bravo and cheers for our current Mayor!!

May 1, 2014 at 7:40 pm

That’s great news vicki. Good for the hard working people of NYC. They did right by voting for Mayor de Blasio!

21. May 1, 2014 at 6:53 pm

Sigh.

The father of a German exchange student shot dead in Montana after he trespassed in a man’s garage has said the US cannot continue to “play cowboy” with firearms.

Markus Kaarma has been charged with deliberate murder in the Sunday killing of Diren Dede, 17, of Hamburg.

But he says Montana’s self-defence law allowed him to shoot the boy.

Celal Dede said he would not have allowed his son to study in the US had he been aware of the lenient gun laws.

“I didn’t think for one night that everyone here can kill somebody just because that person entered his back yard,” Mr Dede told the German news agency dpa.

22. May 1, 2014 at 6:58 pm

Important development ….

Interregional Council of Territorial Communities of Southeast Ukraine created in Dnipropetrovsk

“The new coordinating council was created for immediate stabilization of the situation on the territory of southeast Ukraine.

“Furthermore, the board will organize the smooth operation of the social security agencies, coordinate timely payment of salaries, pensions, budget transfers of all kinds, social infrastructure, and life support systems work in order to protect the rights and freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution of Ukraine,” the statement said.

The Interregional Council will support all local authorities with all forces and means of national defense and the staff of the territorial defense of southeastern Ukraine in Lugansk, Donetsk, Odesa, Kharkiv, Mykolaiv, Kherson, Zaporizhzhia, and Dnipropetrovsk Oblasts.

All leaders and members of local governments in these oblasts will be involved in the planning and implementation of actions.”

23. 105 donna dem 4 obama
    May 1, 2014 at 7:08 pm

24. May 1, 2014 at 7:19 pm

YUM!!

May 1, 2014 at 7:45 pm

May 1, 2014 at 7:58 pm

That is wonderful news, I hope one day Rush Limbaugh will no longer be on the airwave.

• 115 99ts
      May 1, 2014 at 8:47 pm

The really big news – fewer and fewer people are listening – so his racist, sexist, hateful RW views are no longer wanted by most of the US

May 1, 2014 at 7:50 pm

LOL! Twitter tells me to follow Don Lemon CNN. I love Twitter’s fine sense of humor. LMAO! :)

May 1, 2014 at 7:50 pm

friggin’ million in friggin’ florida? awesome.

28. 120 Jziglar
    May 1, 2014 at 8:23 pm

I know some people were talking about successors to President Obama, but I think it would be foolish to assume that if Hillary becomes president she will have a better time dealing with the GOP. I know that some have forgotten about 90’s era politics, but the GOP were more sane and pragmatic then compared to today’s version, and that was during Newt Gingrich’s conservative take over of the republican party. The GOP hated the Clinton’s and they still do. The only people they hate more than them are the Obama’s because race plays a role. My point is that the far right will hate any democratic nominee, so at the end of the day we need to focus on electing democrats at every level.

• 121 0388jojothecat
      May 1, 2014 at 11:32 pm

The GOP were insanely aggressive against HRC compared to Bill. They hated Hillary with a capital H. Unless you were alive during 1992 you have to be crazy to believe they would treat Hillary differently than PBO because the GOP hates anyone who is not a GOP and white male.

RSS Steve Benen