May

Rise and Shine: The Week at TOD

President Obama is kissed by 94-year-old Carolina Garcia Delfin, a Filipina nurse who fought in the resistance against Japanese forces during World War II. The President mentioned her in his remarks to American and Philippine troops at Fort Bonifacio in Manila, Philippines, April 29 (Photo by Pete Souza)

Sunday

President Obama shakes hands with audience members after a town hall meeting with representatives from the Young Southeast Asian Leaders Initiative at the University of Malaya in Kuala Lumpur (Photo by Pete Souza)

The President in Malaysia: An Image or Two

News of the Day

@ArashMarkazi: The Clippers took off their shooting shirts and dumped them at center court

A Tweet or Two

President Obama participates in a meeting with PM Mohammed Najib Abdul Razak in Kuala Lumpur (Photo by Pete Souza)

Souza The Great

Monday

President Obama upon his arrival in Manila, the Philippines

Early Bird Chat

Rise and Shine

holder-obama630

Team Obama-Holder

Schooling Ed Henry

Ed? Your time is up:

Race And Our Post-Racial Age

Manila to DC

The Philippines, Then Home

Heading home: President Obama leaving the Philippines at the end of his four-nation Asian trip

Homeward Bound

Tuesday

President Barack Obama stretches to shake the hand of a young girl held aloft during a U.S. Embassy meet and greet at the Sofitel Hotel in Manila, Philippines, April 28, 2014 (Photo by Pete Souza)

Early Bird Chat

On This Day: President Obama shakes hands with a young girl after arriving at Miami International Airport in Miami, Fla., April 29, 2011 (Photo by Pete Souza)

Rise and Shine

Raise the Wage

Home

Beautiful

#1Is2Many

Wednesday

On This Day: President Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama arrive at the White House Correspondents’ Association dinner, April 30, 2011

Early Bird Chat

Children help President Obama to his feet after he sat on the floor to have a group photo with them during a U.S. Embassy meet and greet at the Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila (Photo by Pete Souza)

Rise and Shine

President Obama gives a fist bump to a baby during a U.S. Embassy meet and greet at the Ritz-Carlton Hotel in Kuala Lumpur (Photo by Pete Souza)

Pete Souza: The Trip to Asia

President Obama Speaks on the Minimum Wage

Students So Jung Kim and Chi Hyun Lee present President Obama with a bouquet of flowers as he arrives for a tour of Gyeongbok Palace in Seoul (Photo by Pete Souza)

On The Death Penalty

The First Lady And Second Lady Honor Military Families

Michelle+Obama+Michelle+Obama+Jill+Biden+Team+mOpOT9zsh8jl

#1010Means: Raising The Minimum Wage

202d39acea18db10520f6a70670035d5

Thursday

On This Day: President Obama and Vice President Biden, along with members of the national security team, receive an update on the mission against Osama bin Laden in the Situation Room of the White House, May 1, 2011 (Photo by Pete Souza)

Early Bird Chat

Rise and Shine

gop

President Obama Speaks at the Teacher of Year Award Ceremony

#ObamaCare: A Big Win For Americans

Nigeria’s Abducted Girls: A Democracy Under Siege

President Obama Celebrates Teachers

President Obama presents the 2014 National Teacher of the Year award to Sean McComb, a high school English teacher from Maryland

Friday

President Obama eavesdrops as Aidan Lamothe, the 2014 March of Dimes Ambassador, whispers to his mother that he had wished to see both The President and Bo, the Obama family dog, during his visit in the Oval Office, May 1, 2014 (Photo by Pete Souza)

Early Bird Chat

Rise and Shine

Ukraine Crisis in Tweets

25 Million Thanks!

President Obama And Chancellor Merkel Hold A Press Conference

@petesouza: Pres Obama, with WH Chef Cris Comerford, tours the WH Garden w German Chanc Angela Merkel

The First Lady Encourages Students To #ReachHigher

MoooOOOooorning again everyone – don’t forget, tonight is the the White House Correspondents’ Association Annual Dinner. C-Span’s live coverage starts at 6:0 PM EDT.

92 Responses to “Rise and Shine: The Week at TOD”

May 3, 2014 at 9:39 am

Yessss

2. 12 No Child Left Behind
    May 3, 2014 at 9:39 am

Good Saturday Morning TodVille!

3. 13 Vicki
    May 3, 2014 at 9:43 am

Of course. I just typed a long message on the last post.
    Short version: I hope PBO hands his disloyal opposition their heads on a plate tonight.

I am in a snit because the NY Times says the 288,000 new jobs aren’t really so great because POTUS poll numbers are low.

You fix and fudge the polling, you worthless assholes.

May 3, 2014 at 10:00 am

Vicki, they always fine some way to make some attack on POTUS. Just imagine what they would be saying if the job numbers were something like 50,000, To be honest, I am fed up with the sick ass racists right wing haters and some of the so call left.

4. 15 99ts
    May 3, 2014 at 9:53 am

Hi all – hope your Saturday is good. Just watched the Donald Trump clip from the WHCD – I’m hoping that Chris Christie regrets his appearance tonight

May 3, 2014 at 9:55 am

I hope that PBO goes and plays some golf…maybe shoots some hoops…relaxes before the zingers fly :) That little smile and chuckle after he cracks himself up…kills me every time! Love that.

6. 17 Paulita
    May 3, 2014 at 10:00 am

I heard CNN is going to be broadcasting the WHCD – and MSNBC is going to have a big shot from Scandal on at 3pm to talk about it.

May 3, 2014 at 10:04 am

Wow. I’ll skip CNN and MSNBC today.

May 3, 2014 at 10:09 am

They’re turning it into an almost day-long event….milking this thing for all it’s worth while they can. Because lord knows after 2016…as LL tweeted yesterday, WHCD will be relegated back to CSPAN-3…

• 20 africa
        May 3, 2014 at 11:48 am

Hi Hope.

Before President Obama, who even watched the WHCD? The media is useless. When PBO leaves the White House, they will have nothing. He has totally transfixed, transformed that D.C.

May 3, 2014 at 12:02 pm

Yes – but they turn around and claim he is unpopular based on their stupid polls, and some people actually believe that nonsense.

7. May 3, 2014 at 10:04 am

• 23 Paulita
      May 3, 2014 at 10:11 am

I love this picture so much. How can you not love this man? I am so glad that he and Michelle found each other; their romance and story is so much more majestic than the Royals across the pond! My heart is full looking at this.

• May 3, 2014 at 10:48 am

This picture speaks volumes about this amazing man. For me, he ranks up there with God, my mother and my children. I know deep down to my soul that he has our backs.

8. 25 GGAIL
    May 3, 2014 at 10:08 am

Good West Coast morning Chipsticks & TOD family.
    I got my mani-pedi last night, getting hair done this morning & will lay out my evening gown and sparkly shoes for tonight. Gotta look good for POTUS & FLOTUS!

May 3, 2014 at 10:12 am

Hel-lo, everyone! What’s for breakfast – anything you want to share (except chores)?

10. 40 anniebella
    May 3, 2014 at 10:20 am

So did anyone catch 20/20 last night. Barbara Walters interview Donald Sterling’s girlfriend.I didn’t watch it because I’m not a fan of Barbara Walters, and this woman is just seeking her 15 minutes of fame.

May 3, 2014 at 10:25 am

I watch some of the news and they show parts of that interview. Sounds like to me Sterling got to her and ask her to help him out. She told Walters that she doesn’t think he is a racists. I’. sure alot of those people like George Wallace, Jesse Helms, Strong Thurman didn’t think they were racists either.

• 42 Nena20409
      May 3, 2014 at 11:33 am

Didn’t he, Sterling give one interview wishing he had paid her off?

Well, the Barbara Walters so called interview is indeed a payola off.

This way she can keep her 4 cars…..2 Bentley/s, one Ferrari and on Range Rover per Bill Maher last night. Amd last, one $1.8M pad.

May 3, 2014 at 10:26 am

You don’t have to brag about it, bt.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• May 3, 2014 at 10:29 am

:-) You’ve tracked down my business!!!!

May 3, 2014 at 10:51 am

Trust you to find such a sign! :)

Briefly, how were things in your corner of the world this past week?

• 47 amk for obama
        May 3, 2014 at 11:02 am

Other than yours truly, daughter & son units missing a train bomb by seven hours, nothing much.

May 3, 2014 at 11:08 am

I spotted that, which is why I was checking for follow-up. I was wondering about the young people’s response/state of mind afterwards. Decades ago when I narrowly missed being wiped out when my car was rear-ended (I had just left it and was moving in the opposite direction away from it), it took a while – sitting in someone else’s car – before I started to shake.

12. 49 CEB
    May 3, 2014 at 10:29 am

Good morning TOD ohana.
    Dark and misty start to the day here in NE Fla., but promised sunshine in the afternoon. Thanks again for the weekly round- up Chips, especially now because I am only ducking in and out while I am in the midst of of what I thought was to be fairly modest remodel. Have a great day everyone until we meet to go to the WHCD. Chips, make sure that you are awake to share the fun and to help us to avoid an over 600 comment thread. Smooches to Danny.

• May 3, 2014 at 10:35 am

As if I’d sleep through anything major, CEB!!! Mooooooorning!

• May 3, 2014 at 10:51 am

CEB,

Thought of you this week when I heard about the torrential downpour in your state — I thought you are closer to Jacksonville than Tallahassee, but I didn’t reports as to whether the downpour affected your area.

Based on one your posts a few weeks ago, I think you and I are almost exactly the same age. Had a similar experience in casting my first vote in a Presidential election after having turned 18 in 1972, the year the voting age was lowered from 21 to 18.

I confess that I’m a “blue dog” Dem, and I registered as a Republican to vote in the Presidential primary for Pete McCloskey — I hated Nixon so. Political activists in my dorm at UCLA convinced quite a few of us to do, though for naught. McCloskey’s still around, and still an honorable man. Things would have been so different for this country had he been elected in 1972 instead of Nixon (a pro-choice, anti-war Republican).

Here’s what I saw about the northwest Florida flooding this week:

May 3, 2014 at 10:34 am

Finally kicked hp & m$’s collective ass to make my new pc dance to my tunes. FU hp & m$. what windows 8.1?

• May 3, 2014 at 10:36 am

Are you sure it’s fixed?

• 56 amk for obama
        May 3, 2014 at 10:42 am

LOL. It did happen to me y’day when I backed my old laptop (Also. Too. FU samsung) and it said 48 days and odd at the start.

• May 3, 2014 at 10:47 am

:lol: My old desktop used always tell me something like ‘2 minutes’, and I’d go ‘woooooooah, that’s super fast’ …… three days later it would still say 2 minutes.

• 58 MightyPamela
        May 3, 2014 at 11:08 am

This SO reminds me of the crap I went through with that damn Dell. Very glad to have forgotten it! Again, my blessings on Steve Jobs, may he walk the heavenly vales in peace, knowing he has left life on earth a little better for a LOT of people! :)

• May 3, 2014 at 11:09 am

Mine was a Dell too, MightyP! If I ever see one again I will ….. no, won’t say it, I’ll be polite.

• 60 MightyPamela
            May 3, 2014 at 11:21 am

Let us forget together, Chipsticks, and celebrate each new day, as DannyO grows to a handsome and mature force to be reckoned with, and my MaineCoon quietly settles into her geriatric years. We have much to be thankful for! (apple, apple, apple)

14. 62 Nerdy Wonka
    May 3, 2014 at 10:43 am

Great compilation, Chiparoooo!

Wow. What a week.

15. May 3, 2014 at 10:55 am

Retrospectives are right up my alley, because I’m always late to TOD, LOL.

Here’s a couple from South Africa this week:

16. May 3, 2014 at 11:10 am

Last of my “retrospective” posts for now.

Pete Souza is such a treasure. I chose six of my favorites from his Asia trip gallery, duplicating only one or two (I think) that were posted here.

Japan: How is it possible that Pete Souza captured both the horseback archer and the President’s face in focus? How does he triumph over both speed and distance?

Two from Malaysia. Love the American flags the dancers hold, and you can’t beat the student’s t-shirt and expression:

17. 70 MightyPamela
    May 3, 2014 at 11:16 am

Made an excellent comment, which promptly disappeared, so, in short, I’m out. Back later for the celebration of PBO taking strips off the idjits! :) Big hugs all around!

18. 71 pickle48
    May 3, 2014 at 11:17 am

Re: polls

What can we expect when the media continuously trashes PBO?! Negative-negative-negative. That’s what most people are exposed to. It would be fascinating if researchers could figure out how to filter polling for negative media bias.

May 3, 2014 at 11:45 am

The polls themselves are not valid. The polling methodology, interpretation and reporting is flawed. Despite the pollsters claims that they randomly select, they knowingly skew their samples to lean conservative, ask leading questions designed to elicit negative responses, and present flawed interpretations even when the responses don’t conform to their desired narrative. Finally, the polling numbers do not comport with the reactions we see on the ground – and everything else. Period.

A president who single-handedly makes a once routine political media show like the WHCD the event that it is today is not an unpopular President, regardless of what a poll says or doesn’t say. A president who gets a 1970’s single to increase in sales by 450% just by singing one line at an event is NOT an unpopular President – regardless of what a poll says or doesn’t say. A President who gets a country to “evolve” on once controversial issue of same sex marriage just by declaring his support in an interview is NOT an unpopular President – regardless of what a poll says or doesn’t say. A president who gets young people to log on to his health care website and sign up just by appearing on an unconventional program like :”Between Two Ferns” in addition to beating Justin Beiber in the # of views is not an unpopular President – regardless of what a poll says or doesn’t say. I could spend the entire day giving concrete examples of how the reality of PBO’s support is contrasted with that of the media-manufactured polls, but I will stop here because you get the point.

19. 76 Nena20409
    May 3, 2014 at 11:24 am

TOD Diggity, TOD Diggity, Look what’s you’ve done to me……. ;)

Hello Saturday Sunshine TOD village.

This week at TOD is exquisite. Great Job.

Good, Good Morning TODable TODers.

May 3, 2014 at 11:27 am

guess giggs’ gig is up too? 0-1 to sunderland? tsk, tsk, tsk.

21. 78 Judith Fardig
    May 3, 2014 at 11:27 am

Rising and trying to shine after a night of celebration here in #RipCity. Yay Blazers and yay TOD for hitting 25 million page views!

22. 80 dotster3
    May 3, 2014 at 11:39 am

I have a dilemma. We have an overnight “guest” arriving this afternoon—-my 4 yr. old grandson——I think it’s called ‘babysitting’. Which is great and fun and he’s so cute and mostly good—-BUT—–the WHCD! I want to watch this annual political highlight. I NEED to watch. So——-how do I convince mr. dotster that he is the perfect person to be in charge of our little darling for those couple of hours, the perfect playmate for that stretch of time, that he can handle it ALL BY HIMSELF for that little bit, that he is up to the task?? Any brilliant ideas?

23. May 3, 2014 at 11:40 am

Pickle, it’s no “accident” that the media is reporting negative poll numbers for anything having to do with the Obama Administration. Just ask Hopefruit2 — I consider her my mentor in opening my eyes to how the MSM spins the “news.”

Things are only going to get worse the closer we get to the November elections. MSM/GOP/Kochs are clutching at straws, desperate to prevent a Dem controlled Congress, Senate and White House. Last year it was scandalabra, this year, its… wait for it… #BENGHAZI!

The MSM is furious that the WH creates its own news, and purposely ignores what Team Obama is doing on the domestic front. They don’t understand Foreign Policy (except for “Bomb, bomb, bomb Iran”) so they ignore the complexity of multi-lateral actions actually taking place.

Posted earlier this week in response to HF2. If you click on the link to the NY Times article, you’ll see that they changed their archival headline from “Republicans filibuster…” to “Dems assail GOP…:

Although the polling is skewed in favor of Republicans (i.e., people who answer unknown callers on their landlines), the MSM is handpicking polls to report as “news” and changing their archival headlines for posterity.

Dems must do what the Obama Administration is doing, and that is, bypass MSM/Koch “news.” For instance (remember that Valerie Jarrett spoke to Zack Galifinakis six months before “Between Two Ferns” aired, so right now Team Obama is laser-focused on what will be happening domestically when the November elections take place):

24. 86 africa
    May 3, 2014 at 11:49 am

Happy Saturday TODers.

I can’t wait for the WHCD tonight. I don’t recall watching it until PBO.

May 3, 2014 at 1:08 pm

africa, there are alot of things I never kept up with till 2009, when our POTUS and FLOTUS walk into that White House. Clinton, G.W. Bush went out of the country, I could care less. Laura Bush were speaking some where, so what.

25. May 3, 2014 at 11:49 am

Thank you for yet another gold-plated R&S, Chips!!! You and NW are an amazing team!!!!

Important news …

“OSCE Captives Released in Slavyansk
    12:16 (GMT)

Following a visit from Kremlin envoy Vladimir Lukin, the seven OSCE observers who were abducted and held captive by Russian-backed separatists in Slavyansk have been freed, along with the five Ukrainian officers who were escorting them. There were reports yesterday that the self-proclaimed ‘people’s mayor’ of Slavyansk, Vyacheslav Ponomaryov, had wanted to release the hostages due to the encroaching Ukrainian military operation, but wanted to wait until Lukin’s arrival so as to hand them over to a Russian group rather than Ukrainian government or Western representatives.”
    Link: http://pressimus.com/Interpreter_Mag/press/2587

BTW, the bulk of those captured (and killed) in Odessa are citizens of the Russian Federation and had infiltrated from Transnistria.

• May 3, 2014 at 11:58 am

“The terrorists who held the hostages recognized the futility of their actions and released people as a result of the firm and persistent actions of international and Ukrainian entities.

However, the decision itself was taken after obtaining explicit instructions from Russian authorities, which again demonstrates the subordination of the extremists to Moscow.”

Link in the tweet to the official Ukraine Foreign Ministry statement: https://twitter.com/Our4thEstate/status/462621663599681536

May 3, 2014 at 11:54 am

International observers captured by pro-Russian supporters in east Ukraine a week ago are freed, as Kiev resumes military operations there.

27. 91 JER