May

Night owl chat – The Great American Songbook, Part 2

Well, after the, um, loveliness that is the annual Eurovision song contest, let’s see what this side of the ocean has been able to come up with.

***

Ella Fitzgerald – Let’s Do It (Let’s Fall in Love)

***

Henry Mancini – Stardust

***

Norah Jones – My Blue Heaven

***

Charlie Parker – April in Paris

***

Sure, these songs are no Cake to Bake, but they’re pretty good nevertheless.

Chat on, night owls!

77 Responses to “Night owl chat – The Great American Songbook, Part 2”

1. 1 Allison
    May 10, 2014 at 10:37 pm

Hello all!

2. May 10, 2014 at 10:38 pm

Lots of FAVS here, LL. Thank you!!

3. 4 No Child Left Behind
    May 10, 2014 at 10:38 pm

LL, oh thank you for this selection!

Good evening everyone.

4. May 10, 2014 at 10:39 pm

Oi, less of your Ums about the Eurovision!

Thank you LL, gorgeous selection!

5. May 10, 2014 at 10:39 pm

Hey, Chips posted it sneakily so that I couldn’t claim first! Evening all! Hope you enjoy.

6. May 10, 2014 at 10:41 pm

I have to say, “Let’s Face the Music and Dance” is one of my all time favorite songs. It has hints of melancholy about the world’s troubles, but perseverance in the face of them.

• May 10, 2014 at 10:55 pm

Cole’s ‘Let’s Face the Music’ and Dance and Ravel’s ‘Le Valse’ have always elicited similar emotions for me, LL.

• May 10, 2014 at 10:58 pm

For me, “La Valse” has always elicited a certain horror. It was Ravel’s explication of Europe’s horrific unraveling in WWI.

• May 10, 2014 at 11:18 pm

Yes, indeed it is. And, when Irving Berlin wrote “Let’s Face the Music & Dance” in 1936, I’ve often wondered if he was perceiving the ‘horrific unraveling’ that became WWII. In any case, both compositions have always elicited, personally, the foreboding of disaster.

7. 14 yardarm756
    May 10, 2014 at 10:46 pm

Some real Blues……

8. May 10, 2014 at 10:49 pm

It’s a mere couple of hours away from the debacle that Tzar Vlad has engineered in Eastern Ukraine. Lots of Ukrainian mothers will be hoping and praying that their children don’t meet the fate that more than 40,000 children did during Tzar Putin’s orgy of hate and attempted ethnic cleansing in Chechnya.

Reality …

And, Irony …

Let us hope that ‘irony’ prevails and at not too great a cost in human life and suffering. By this time tomorrow, Mother’s Day, we likely will have a clearer indication of the reality Ukrainians (and humanity) will be confronting int the days/weeks, ahead.

#TrustBarack

May 10, 2014 at 10:54 pm

Lithuania is to hold presidential elections, with incumbent Dalia Grybauskaite widely predicted to secure her second term.

Recent opinion polls gave her a big lead over her closest rivals: lawmaker Arturas Paulauskas and European Parliament member Zigmantas Balcytis.

She is hoping to secure more than 50% of the votes to avoid a run-off.

The election comes amid rising security concerns in the region after Russia’s annexation of Crimea from Ukraine.

“Europe must understand that Russia is trying to redraw the post-war map and borders,” Ms Grybauskaite, 58, said recently.

“First, it’s Ukraine, Moldova will be next and, finally, it can reach the Baltic states and Poland. This is serious threat to our region.”

merkel sitting on her ass won’t help.

10. May 10, 2014 at 10:58 pm

SATCHMO AND ELLA…Summertime

11. May 10, 2014 at 11:03 pm

White House statement from President Obama on Michael Sam:

“The President congratulates Michael Sam, the Rams and the NFL for taking an important step forward today in our nation’s journey. From the playing field to the corporate boardroom, LGBT Americans prove everyday that you should be judged by what you do and not who you are.”

May 10, 2014 at 11:18 pm

I certainly appreciate the President’s sentiment and intent, always … but, as an aside, kind of an odd way to phrase it: ” … and not who you are.” Sometimes who you are is a good thing!

Actually, I long for the day when the advancement of individuals in a group … any group … formerly oppressed and held back, due to bigotry within our so-called civil society, is the freakin’ norm, and we don’t have to issue statements about it. I should live so long.

• May 10, 2014 at 11:24 pm

It may have been phrased differently JB, I sourced the statement to ESPN’s lead business reporter…..there is nothing on the official WH.gov press release page as of yet…..

May 10, 2014 at 11:58 pm

Oh, good. Maybe I was being too sensitive, anyway.

Thanks, LP.

• 36 MightyPamela
            May 11, 2014 at 12:23 pm

I noted a reaction in my mind as well, JO’B and LP. Somehow, it didn’t quite ring true with PBO thought and speech patterns IMHO. Curious to see the official release, perhaps it is up a few threads ahead of mp on this beautiful mothers day!

12. May 10, 2014 at 11:06 pm

LENA HORN……Stormy Weather

13. May 10, 2014 at 11:11 pm

DUKE ELLINGTON…..Satin Doll

14. May 10, 2014 at 11:16 pm

JOHN COLTRANE AND JOHNNY HARTMAN….My One and Only Love…

I first heard this song in the movie…The Bridges of Madison County….I have been a fan of Hartman’s ever since….great movie by the way

• May 10, 2014 at 11:20 pm

Thank you, pf58!! We listen to the Coltrane, Hartman recording collaborations all the time. This is one of our favorites.

May 10, 2014 at 11:21 pm

The movie was great. The book was better.

• May 10, 2014 at 11:24 pm

hey JB..i did not read the book…looks like I will have to…I loved that movie

May 10, 2014 at 11:58 pm

Of course I have a little story about the book (by Robert James Waller), which came out in the early ’90s.

I had taken a week off from work to sit at home by myself and chew the carpet to try to give up cigarettes, cold turkey, so was able to see Oprah’s afternoon show one day. She had her review of the book that week – you may recall she had a lot of influence in creating best sellers at the time.

The day after the show, I went to the neighborhood book store to purchase a copy. Think I got the last copy. The sales clerk asked me how I had heard of it – she was curious, since about 10 women had come in that day to buy it. When I told her it was part of Oprah’s book club, then she got it!

LOVED the book. Maybe because I was emotional that week, anyway, it really got to me.

But, even though Meryl Streep is one of my favorite actresses, the movie (which came out a few years later) was almost a let down after reading the book first, as so often happens. Maybe also because I took my mother with me as a treat to see the movie, and she got claustrophobia (first time ever) in the theater and we almost had to leave early. Ha.

The end.

• May 10, 2014 at 11:23 pm

It was a super story. The movie was well done. That’s one of the few times I could really admire Clint Eastwood.

• 56 Dudette
      May 11, 2014 at 12:55 am

Awesome selection pf58! A true classic!

15. May 10, 2014 at 11:17 pm

Awwww. Loving those songs.

May 10, 2014 at 11:33 pm

Princesses Malia and Sasha ;)

17. 61 Bill R.
    May 10, 2014 at 11:37 pm

Great collection of vocalists, and classic jazz songs.

18. 62 yardarm756
    May 10, 2014 at 11:58 pm

Good all. I’m headed for port.

May 11, 2014 at 12:03 am

Heading out the gate….but wanted to be …..

FIIIIRST

to say……

<3 <3 <3 HAPPY MOTHER's DAY! <3 <3 <3

20. 66 yardarm756
    May 11, 2014 at 12:06 am

The ship has docked……G’nite.

May 11, 2014 at 12:09 am

WASHINGTON — House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) said the families of victims of the 2012 Benghazi, Libya, attack have reached out to lawmakers to ask them not to launch another probe into the incident.

“Two of their families have called us and said, ‘Please don’t take us down this path again,’” Pelosi said during her weekly press conference. “It’s really hard for them. It’s very sad.”

Rep. Louise Slaughter’s (D-N.Y.) office confirmed that a family member from the maternal side of Tyrone Woods’ family called on Thursday to express support for the congresswoman’s position on the issue, which is that another probe is not necessary. Woods was one of the CIA contractors killed in the attack. A Democratic aide said another family also has reached out to Democrats.
    ……………………..//

22. 68 Dudette
    May 11, 2014 at 12:54 am
    May 11, 2014 at 12:55 am

Recorded SNL earlier, mostly to see the Black Keys perform, and just caught up with it. One of the skits portrayed a pre-Mother’s Day joint appearance by FLOTUS and Hillary Clinton. At first, I was annoyed thinking it would be some kind of put down of Michelle Obama and a push for Hillary.

To my surprise, it made the First Lady appear as her serious and dedicated and nice self (with just a tiny bit of implied leftover bad feelings from the ’08 campaign, which I imagine she had, so that didn’t bother me!), and it made HRC appear mean-spirited and old-ladyish. I’ll leave it at that.

24. 71 Dudette
    May 11, 2014 at 1:01 am

A two fer

25. 72 susanne
    May 11, 2014 at 1:27 am

happy mother’s day todmamas!

26. 73 Dudette
    May 11, 2014 at 1:29 am

Sorry for the short visit tonight folks. Catch ya later! Goodnight!

27. May 11, 2014 at 2:02 am

Fact …

good night TOD

28. May 11, 2014 at 6:47 am

Thanks LL for this beautiful Night Owl collection!

Happy Mother’s Day to all the wonderful Mothers and Mothers-to-Be on TOD, and everywhere else :) :)