May

Rise and Shine: The Week Ahead

John F. Kennedy International Airport, April 2014

Monday

The President will host President Jose Mujica Cordano of Uruguay at the White House; the Vice President will also attend.

In the afternoon, the President will honor the 2014 National Association of Police Organizations (NAPO) TOP COPS award winners at the White House; the Vice President will also attend.

Tuesday

The President will award Kyle J. White, a former active duty Army Sergeant, the Medal of Honor for conspicuous gallantry. Sergeant White will receive the Medal of Honor for his courageous actions while serving as a Platoon Radio Telephone Operator assigned to C Company, 2nd Battalion (Airborne), 503rd Infantry Regiment, 173rd Airborne Brigade, during combat operations against an armed enemy in Nuristan Province, Afghanistan on November 9, 2007. Sergeant White will be the seventh living recipient to be awarded the Medal of Honor for actions in Iraq or Afghanistan.

More here

Wednesday

The President and the First Lady will travel to New York. While there, the President will host an event on the economy and attend DNC and DSCC events. More details will be forthcoming.

Thursday

The President and the First Lady will tour the National September 11th Memorial and Museum; the President will also deliver remarks at the dedication ceremony. Following his remarks, the President and the First Lady will return to Washington, DC.

Friday

The President will attend meetings at the White House

106 Responses to “Rise and Shine: The Week Ahead”

May 11, 2014 at 10:15 am

yessss.

2. May 11, 2014 at 10:21 am

Happy Mother’s Day to all in the TOD Village……..

THEINTRUDERS…I’ll Always Love my Momma

• 10 jackiegrumbacher
      May 11, 2014 at 10:22 am

Morning, Pf. Hope you enjoy your day.

• May 11, 2014 at 10:48 am

Thank you …Jackie….

I have a story for you….

I so enjoy reading about your fam coming together….it has proven difficult to get all the fams together for one celebration ….so about 3 yrs ago I came up with the idea called “A Gathering of Mothers” the 6 mothers including myself would get together in May for a celebration ….so after 3 tries this year….finally…all six of us will be meeting for a Jazz brunch…next Sunday……I am so looking forward to it….My mom…my sister…my niece….and my two daughters….feeling the warmth already!!!!!!!!!

3. 14 Cindy
    May 11, 2014 at 10:21 am

Good morning Chipsticks, Danny and TOD Family!

Sending Mother’s Day wishes and healing prayers for Mother Chipsticks.

Happy Mother’s Day Mrs. Michelle Obama and Mrs. Robinson!

HAPPY BEAUTIFUL AWESOME MOTHER’S DAY TO TOD MOTHERS, GRANDMOTHERS, STEP-MOTHERS, STAND-IN-MOTHERS, AND THOSE WHO LOVE, AND HAVE LOVED US AS IF THEY WERE OUR OWN MOTHER.

May you be royally blessed indeed; treated and loved like the precious queens that you are. This is “your day.” Celebrate for all that you do and have done to make sure that others have a better life because of your love.

May the good Lord keep you in perfect health as you continue on your motherly journey; paving the way for others, and where your work is never done.

To our beautiful and precious TOD family, who no longer have their beautiful and precious mothers, know that you are blessed and loved
    {{{{{TOD FAMILY}}}}.

I’ll Celebrate Instead of Cry

Another Mother’s Day is here,
    And I still miss having you near.
    You were the best mom you could be,
    And I never once doubted your love for me.
    I could spend each Mother’s Day in sorrow,
    Crying and wishing you were here,
    But instead I choose to celebrate your life,
    A life I still hold so dear.

I know you’d rather see me smile
    Than stand here with tears in my eyes.
    So I’ll do my best to honor your memory,
    And you’ll live on as long as I am alive.

Have a wonderful and blessed day “precious mothers” and “everyone.”
    Warmest Blessings,
    Cindy

• 15 sjterrid
      May 12, 2014 at 12:16 am

Cindy, thank you so much for your beautiful words on Mother’s Day. I hope you had a great Mother’s day.

4. May 11, 2014 at 10:22 am

Another worthy week ahead for PBO. Leading by example. Congratulations on first, AMK. Every photo a winner, Chipstcks. Had not seen September 11 Memorial. Lovely. That last one: PBO.TCB. Yes!

5. 17 Allison
    May 11, 2014 at 10:23 am

May 11, 2014 at 10:41 am

I love this picture of FLOTUS and her Mother. Happy Mother’s Day to Michelle and her Mom. And to all the wonderful Moms out there, have a wonderful Mother’s Day.

6. May 11, 2014 at 10:23 am

Congrats on 1st amk!

Thank you Chips!!!

Happy Mother’s Day to all the TOD moms and moms of all TODers!!!

#TrustBarack

7. 20 Allison
    May 11, 2014 at 10:24 am

Happy Mother’s Day!

8. 21 donna dem 4 obama
    May 11, 2014 at 10:24 am

Happy Mother’s Day TOD

I’m missing my mother today but cherishing the love from my children and grand children.

In memory of my mom…

9. 25 jackiegrumbacher
    May 11, 2014 at 10:28 am

Cindy, a beautiful tribute to your mom. It’s obvious that you reflect her spirit and in that special way, your mother lives on. She would be very proud of you. I always hoped to carry on the best of my mom, who passed away 15 years ago. She always told us to hold our heads high and never let other people’s opinions of us get us down or lead us to act in a way that wasn’t true to ourselves. She called that “acting like a lady” and it held a whole world of meaning that we all understood.

• 26 Cindy
      May 11, 2014 at 10:53 am

Happy Mother’s Day jackiegrumbacher!

Yes, I miss the mom who “loved and raised me” (a relative) until I was 10. She passed away from a very bad cold. She loved me so much and so unconditionally. I had my cry last evening but I know that she watches over me. My biological mother passed away 4 years ago. Although, our parents were in town during Christmas and brought us toys; enough to share with the entire neighborhood, it wasn’t the same. We returned to them but no “real relationship was ever developed.” Family, for me, are those who are there when we are sick, lonely, scared, confused, and when we fall down (running) and all the skin fall off of both knees. They you pick you up; wrapping you in their arms, smothering you with kisses to soothe the pain.

That is who my “mother” was to me-stand in yes, but mother in chief. I will always love and miss her.

May you be blessed and enjoy your sweet memories.

• 27 jackiegrumbacher
        May 11, 2014 at 11:10 am

Cindy, in all the important ways that count, the one who loved and raised you IS your mother. And thank God you were blessed with someone who cared so much. Hugs to you.

• May 11, 2014 at 11:15 am

Cindy,

Thank you for sharing your story about the wonderful person that loved you, that was such a Mother to you.

Happy Mother’s Day to you, your memories of her and to all true and real Mothers.

May 11, 2014 at 11:42 am

That’s the very definition of motherhood, Cindy, and you have expressed it well for all of us! Enjoy your own sweet memories.

10. 32 Layla
    May 11, 2014 at 10:31 am

Happy Mothers Day! Remembering my Mom who died in my arms 5 years ago today

• 33 57andfemale
      May 11, 2014 at 10:50 am

oh, dear Layla – how bittersweet. You treasure and honor her memory, as I’m sure she treasured you.

• 34 Layla
        May 11, 2014 at 11:12 am

TY 57, thank you for responding. This is indeed a very difficult day for me on many levels..cannot stop crying today..

• 35 Cindy
      May 11, 2014 at 11:25 am

{{{{{Layla}}}}

She is with you Layla; temporarily removed from your sight but her spirit lives on.

Warmest Blessings,

May 11, 2014 at 11:34 am

Happy Mother’s Day! We were both lucky to be there with our Moms, as they were always there for us! Also remembering my dear sweet grandmother on this day, whom I still miss so much. #ToughActsToFollow

• May 11, 2014 at 4:40 pm

So sorry for your great loss Layla. Take good care today.

11. 38 donna dem 4 obama
    May 11, 2014 at 10:50 am

S & T sends their love to all the TOD Mother’s today.

• 39 amk for obama
      May 11, 2014 at 10:52 am

Pinch their chubby cheeks for me. Hard.

• 42 99ts
      May 11, 2014 at 10:55 am

Double delight – such a joy Donna

• May 11, 2014 at 11:12 am

Wow, you really are a nightowl. It must be 1 am or so in the Land of Oz.

I’m impressed that you restrain yourself from railing about Tony Abbott.

We in the US should be grateful that he is thousands of miles away, but really, Australia, WHAT WERE YOU THINKING???

Here’s a few choice tidbits on what the Aussies are having to deal with now:

15. First he got rid of the ministries for the status of women, climate change, youth, science, housing and homelessness, disability reform and mental health and ageing.
        s16. Then his government approved a coal port next to the Great Barrier Reef…
        21. Tens of thousands of Australians took to the streets to protest the Abbott government as part of March in March.
        22. It was largely ignored or dismissed by the government and mainstream media.
        24. And now each day brings something new that makes you die a little inside.
        25. Like the Commission of Audit report that was released this week, recommending drastic cuts to public services.

• May 11, 2014 at 11:36 am

Yup. It’s a worldwide phenomenon. Australia was moving in a good direction then they decided that voting against their best interest was a great idea.

• 45 99ts
            May 11, 2014 at 11:50 am

The labor party self destructed – they allowed the liberals (RW party in Oz) and the RW media to con them into continuing their leader fights between Julia Gillard and Kevin Rudd – Rudd should have kept his mouth shut and retired before the election – to the US – where he is now in some sort of a “think tank” at Harvard (Feb 22, 2014 – Former prime minister and noted sinophile Kevin Rudd will lead research on US-China relations at Harvard University) – you are most welcome to him. Nothing other than platitudes ever escaped his lips while he was PM.

The media stirred it – they implied day after day that Ms Gillard could not win the election – Rudd decided to “save the day” and the media instantly turned against him once he defeated Julia. He was played like a fool. (The GWB “fool me once” and all that).

So, as is usual in our elections – the RW did not win – rather the left lost. The latter have much to do to get their act back together.

• 46 99ts
          May 11, 2014 at 11:39 am

I’ve ranted a couple of times – but in reality we are rather small in the international world – if our PM wants to kill off all that is good in our society it has minimal international impact.

What you didn’t mention is how this government is treating refugees and would be immigrants – it is quite inhumane – and despite they rant about “the deficit” and how the country can’t afford its health care or its pensions (SS) – they are spending millions to expand customs and immigration and create that wonderful thing the US call homeland security. It is also hidden as to what is happening with the refugees – the minister in charge now refuses to have press conferences because he didn’t like the questions asked. People are being locked up for years – and given no hope for the future – because they dared to look for a better life & leave the countries that we helped turn into military hell holes.

I wrote much more – but just deleted it – Discussing PM Abbott & the stupidity of the “commission of audit” is not good for my health. Paul Ryan could learn from this lot.

I’m somewhat of a night owl – now I’m retired – I seem to sleep better in the morning than at night! :)

May 11, 2014 at 11:02 am

I feel sure you are having a ‘Wonderful Grandmother’s Day’, GrandmaDD!

• May 11, 2014 at 11:12 am

Such gorgeous babies. You are truly blessed, as am I. Happy Mothers Day Donna.

• 49 jackiegrumbacher
      May 11, 2014 at 11:12 am

Oh Donna, it’s a great feeling isn’t it? Just talked to our little one on the phone and she called us “Pop Pop” and “Mam Mam.” They have now become the two most thrilling words in the English language. Your granddaughters are so adorable, they just beg to be hugged, which I sure will be happening to them all day today.

• 50 57andfemale
      May 11, 2014 at 11:13 am

how do you keep your heart in your chest looking at these gorgeous babies?

Happy Mother’s Day to you, Donna.

May 11, 2014 at 11:40 am

Beautiful, Donna!

• May 11, 2014 at 12:39 pm

they are absolutely adorable, and I’d be kissing those cheeks all day :)

Happy Mother’s Day Donna Dem!

• 53 a4alice
      May 11, 2014 at 12:50 pm

awww nice! cuties. :-)

12. 54 carolyn
    May 11, 2014 at 11:09 am

My mother died thirty years ago this March, 1984. I still miss her. She was strength and love personified. I was fortunate. Now I try to love my children and grandchildren extra hard, because they didn’t know her very long.

However, I know that our influence is not limited to our families. We are having an influence for good when we have no idea that it’s happening. I received an email this morning from a student in my Composition class that blew me away…….all of you are influencing people that you know nothing about and may never hear from, but it is happening.

Bless all of you who have mothers, are mothers, are stand-in mothers, big sisters, who do a lot of mothering, …….may blessings shower on you for the good that you do.

Oh yes…..yesterday my husband gave me two cards. One of them said “Mom” the other said “Carolyn” Out of curiosity I opened the Mom one first. It was from out dog!!! It was adorable…….so all dog and cat moms…….this day is for you too!!!!

13. 57 Bill R.
    May 11, 2014 at 11:16 am

My mother died a year and a half ago from Alzheimer’s at the age of 89. For me her passing was a relief that her ordeal with the effects of that disease were over. I gave the eulogy at her funeral and was able to reflect on the profound goodness and humane values she had transmitted to me as a child growing up. She took me to my first NAACP meeting while I was in high school. She marched for peace in Vietnam. She spoke out about women’s rights for health care decisions and a just wage. In the 50s and 60s she taught me about racial and economic justice, about compassionate respect toward gays, about the dignity and equality of women, and the primacy of the golden rule, to treat everyone as I wish to be treated. She raised three children as a single mother on waitress wages, working hard so we could survive in a country that cared little for single mothers or poor children. Her three children all achieved a college education. God bless her always!

• May 11, 2014 at 11:30 am

Bill R.,

Your mother was amazing, and so big-hearted.

Thank you for introducing her to TODville.

She sounds much like Stephen Colbert’s mother (Colbert told Rep. John Lewis that he attended MLK’s “I Have a Dream” speech in DC in his mother’s womb) and Barack Obama’s mother.

Meta posted this on the previous thread – so very poignant that PBO attributes his good qualities to his mother. It is devastating that Ann Dunham did not live to see her incredible son be elected President. I’m convinced that the birther slander would have gone nowhere if Ann Dunham were alive to fierely fight back and protect her son. She would be 71 now.

May 11, 2014 at 11:36 am

Your mom sounds like a ‘powerhouse’, Bill. You have some terrific memories. Happy Mother’s Day! God has indeed blessed your mother – with you and your siblings.

• 60 Bill R.
        May 11, 2014 at 11:50 am

Thank you for the kind thoughts, friends. I miss the spirit of compassion and justice of my mother. I am glad she was released from the affliction of Alzheimer’s. I give thanks that so much of what is good and humane in myself came from her and her struggle.

May 11, 2014 at 11:49 am

Bill R – Your memories of your mother are glorious. I had a mother who raised three herself, when my dad came home from WWII but was lost to us in all other ways, until she (and I) brought him home 30+ years later to care for him during illness before he passed away. Turns out she carried a torch for him all that time – Ha! She was such a good mom, that I never knew we were what others might call poor until I was practically in high school. She never mentioned it, and never said a bad word about my dad while we were growing up. We may shed tears, but they were truly the greatest generation of mothers, I’m convinced, if we don’t count their mothers!

14. May 11, 2014 at 11:17 am

JackieG,

This is for you, PrettyFoot and others in Pennsylvania.

So glad that your thoughtful son brought his/your family to see you this week!

We’ll be here for you after you say your farewells today. Sniffle.

• May 11, 2014 at 11:22 am

From the article:
      “The potential [Dem] challengers have begun to do the governor’s work for him, aggressively attacking one another, and especially the front-runner, Tom Wolf.”

Note to PA Dem candidates: focus on the positive about your candidacy and how great your ideas are to lift your great state of of the mire that Tom Corbett has entrenched you in. Tearing your Dem opponents down does not motivate PA Dems to vote for you.

Also from the article:
      “But the state ranked 48th in job creation last year, according to the federal Bureau of Labor Statistics. Standard & Poor’s recently scolded state lawmakers for a budget out of whack between revenue and spending. In a year when other states have surpluses, Pennsylvania is facing a $1 billion deficit, for which critics say the governor’s business tax breaks are to blame.”

May 11, 2014 at 11:26 am

Liverpool 2 Newcastle 1
    65 mins

Man City 2 West Ham 0
    67 mins

Southampton 1 Man Utd 1
    67 mins

Cardiff 1 Chelsea 0
    66 mins

’nuff said.

May 11, 2014 at 11:32 am

Lewis Hamilton took the world championship lead from Mercedes team-mate Nico Rosberg with a closely fought victory in the Spanish Grand Prix.

Hamilton leads Rosberg by three points as his fourth win in a row finally made up the ground he lost by retiring from the season-opening Australian GP.

The Briton led from start to finish to win a tense battle with Rosberg, with the rest of the field far behind.

Red Bull’s Daniel Ricciardo was third and team-mate Sebastian Vettel fourth.

17. May 11, 2014 at 11:42 am

NETWORK LOBBY

49 mins ·
    Today, on Mother’s Day, we are honoring and praying for mothers everywhere, including the mothers of the kidnapped schoolgirls in Nigeria. May they be comforted and reunited with their beloved daughters. We are also praying for immigrant mothers in our own nation, who live in fear and whose children live in fear that they will be separated because of our broken immigration system. Sister Simone Campbell shares some of their stories here. May Congress hear them and fix our immigration laws. So many mothers deserve our prayers today, including our own. Sending prayer-filled Mother’s Day blessings to all. Amen.

18. 71 debz
    May 11, 2014 at 11:44 am

Happy Mothers Day to all!

19. 72 sabreen60
    May 11, 2014 at 11:49 am

To all the Mom’s, you deserve to pampered and adored. Have a wonderful Mother’s Day!

May 11, 2014 at 11:51 am

Go City. Untouchable GD. Great finish. Well deserved title.

21. 79 99ts
    May 11, 2014 at 11:58 am

g’nite all – wishing everyone an enjoyable mothers’ day – whether you be mother, grandmother, father, grandfather, daughter son and/or the aunt/uncle who gets all the fun and can then send the children home.

May 11, 2014 at 12:13 pm

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

gunnite.

23. May 11, 2014 at 12:24 pm

Happy Mother’s day to all the Mom’s at Tod’s village…Especially Danny’s Mom…We love you Chips:-)

24. 84 africa
    May 11, 2014 at 12:32 pm

To all the TOD mothers, future mothers, those who looked after children at some point, will do so in the future, HAPPY MOTHER’S DAY!!

Happy Sunday!!

Hiya Chips!!!

25. 85 dotster3
    May 11, 2014 at 12:34 pm

Cute….

May 11, 2014 at 12:54 pm

Destined to be a speechwriter!

• May 11, 2014 at 1:16 pm

At age 4?

I know nothing about @JonFavs personal life, but I would guess that he attended pre-school.

I was born in the 1950s, and nearly all Moms that I knew at that time were stay-at-home Moms raising a passel of kids. Few pre-schools back then. Most 4-years were just learning the alphabet back then.

Amazing what a smart 4-year can do, given the opportunity and the learning tools.

WTG, @jonfavs, such a cute letter.

26. 88 PrayerWarriorforObama
    May 11, 2014 at 12:35 pm

Happy Mother’s Day to the mothers of the TOD family, including those who are childless but have poured their love and assistance into the upbringing of the nation’s and the world’s children. May God bless you all.

27. May 11, 2014 at 12:44 pm

Happy Mother’s Day to all the mothers in the TOD village. May you all have a BLESSED and relaxing day.
    Donna those grandbabes are just a gift-wrapped package of BEAUTIFUL. Kiss those cheeks for me.

Today I too miss my Mom terribly. She left us 7 years ago. She was my rock, inspiration and role model for all that was good.
    Both my children (grown-ups) called so I feel blessed,even though they are not able to visit.

Big shout out to you and your Mom Ms. CHIPS on this special day. Hope your Mom is now fully recovered.

Love you all in our TOD community.

28. 91 MightyPamela
    May 11, 2014 at 12:46 pm

Hola! Am I really caught up, or is a new thread about to open?!! Happy Mother’s Day to everyone, the stories have left me speechless. Just as well, I suppose. Blessed Be, Light All Around!http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/candles.cfm?l=eng&gi=PBO

29. May 11, 2014 at 12:54 pm

30. 97 a4alice
    May 11, 2014 at 12:56 pm

found this passing me by this morning and thought I’d share. It would be kind of a fun thing to do with a child or grandchild (maybe).

31. 98 JER
    May 11, 2014 at 1:02 pm

Happy Mother’s Day to all the mothers. Hope you are having a wonderful day.

32. 102 MightyPamela
    May 11, 2014 at 1:32 pm

Heading out to a Skype fest with my lovely daughter in California!! Back later, have a fabulous day y’all!! Big hugs all around!

33. 103 Dudette
    May 11, 2014 at 1:42 pm

Happy Mother’s Day to all the caring, nurturing, loving women of TOD — whether your “kids” are from traditional, non-traditional or social families!

You teach the world to love and be loved!

34. 104 Dudette
    May 11, 2014 at 1:51 pm

May 11, 2014 at 1:58 pm

Okay TOD mothers, aunts-who-mother et al, I finally got around to my picture message. ;)

RSS OFA