May

Chat On

@PeteSouza: President Obama speaks at Natl 9/11 Memorial and Museum in NYC

114 Responses to “Chat On”

1. 1 sherijr
    May 15, 2014 at 3:28 pm

Because we all love Gov. O’Malley around here too… this is what he did today:

Dear Sheri,

Today, Governor Martin O’Malley signed the Fairness for All Marylanders Act which adds gender identity protections to the state’s non-discrimination laws in employment, housing, public accommodations and credit. Thank Governor O’Malley, Senator Rich Madaleno, and other key Maryland legislators for their leadership and for affirming the rights of all Maryland residents.

HRC is a proud member of the steering committee of the Maryland Coalition for Trans Equality and has been the leading national organization working for passage of this bill. HRC is honored to continue our years-long partnership with Equality Maryland and has invested more than $100,000 in the effort during the current legislative session, including retaining top statehouse lobbyists and granting funds to Equality Maryland for field organizing efforts.

Governor O’Malley signs Fariness for All Marylanders Act

Maryland is the 18th state, along with the District of Columbia, to protect residents and visitors against discrimination on the basis of gender identity and expression. HRC thanks Governor Martin O’Malley, Senator Rich Madaleno, and key House Delegates whose commitment and leadership helped make today’s victory possible – Delegates Luke Clippinger, Bonnie Cullison, and Joseline Pena-Melnyk.

With gratitude from a proud Marylander,

Marty Rouse
    Marty Rouse
    National Field Director

2. 13 Don
    May 15, 2014 at 3:29 pm

O’Malley has my vote!

May 15, 2014 at 3:38 pm

I think of all O’Malley has been doing, then I think of how rarely (never?) MSM mentions him as a potential WH contender while fawning over a woman and her spouse who haven’t done anything practical and noteworthy in YEARS!

May 15, 2014 at 6:21 pm

The MSM doesn’t mention him because he can be a formidable contender on the Dem side if given an opportunity. He does not pander to MSM narratives, and is unabashedly in full support of our current President. He has accomplished a lot as governor of MD and if he decides to run, has a superior record. He is a true progressive in every sense of the word. Meanwhile, he doesn’t have the racial or gender traits that make him an easy target for FOX News – their ratings would plummet almost instaneously if he were elected…

• 16 sherijr
      May 15, 2014 at 3:41 pm

Yep if VP Joe doesn’t run, I’d go for O’Malley.

3. 17 susanne
    May 15, 2014 at 3:30 pm

good morning chips and tods
    here’s some good news from hawaii:

‘ The Abercrombie Administration yesterday launched a multilingual public education campaign about a new law that establishes long-overdue equity for Hawaii’s domestic workers.
    ~
    “This education campaign is about peace and justice in the home,” said Dr. Nancie Caraway, First Lady of the State of Hawaii and chair of the Domestic Workers Have Rights Working Group. “It’s about showing the humanity of a long devalued kind of work.” ‘

4. 18 susanne
    May 15, 2014 at 3:35 pm

also too:

‘ It’s been nearly six months since the passage of Hawaiʻi’s Marriage Equality act and according to the state Department of Health one in every seven marriages since then have been same-sex couples.

Of the 9,640 weddings that have taken place since December 2, 2013, 1,417 of them have been same-sex couples. ‘

May 15, 2014 at 3:46 pm

This reminded me of you west coast residents – wouldn’t you be grateful for a wee bit of snow this week?

• 20 GGail
      May 15, 2014 at 3:50 pm

Yes vc!!! You can have it delivered right outside my bedroom window. I’ll turn the fan on. At 12:49pm, it’s 98 degrees F and our the hottest time of our day is around 3pm so it’s safe to say we will pass 99

May 15, 2014 at 3:58 pm

Sorry, dear G x2, that was a rhetorical question. When I offered you some snow out of my abundance you were not interested, so I got rid of the extras.

May 15, 2014 at 4:32 pm

Geez, you *are* confused! I offered the snow to you, remember? I even invited you to come and frolic in it to your heart’s content! But no, you made disparaging remarks and threw my offer back at me. Not that I don’t feel some compassion for you all in all that heat. The taste I had when I was there was bad enough and I can’t remember if it was that hot.

• 24 57andfemale
        May 15, 2014 at 4:06 pm

Oh my God……

• 25 japa21
      May 15, 2014 at 3:50 pm

I think they would settle for Chicago weather, where it is down into the 30’s at night and dampt and generally miserable.

• 26 GGail
        May 15, 2014 at 3:52 pm

japa, damp frizzes up my hair and that ain’t purty

May 15, 2014 at 4:09 pm

What does purty matter, when it’s hot and sticky? Seriously, you have to realign your priorities.

• 28 GGail
            May 15, 2014 at 4:16 pm

Are you kidding me? My priorities are in order. If my hair is messed up, then my whole disposition is messed up. Did I not get hair & nails done before I picked you and Offspring up?

Girl pleeze! LOL!!!

May 15, 2014 at 3:54 pm

But Japa, these were the very souls scoffing at our nice winter temperatures! Should we even be thinking of sharing now, you think?

• 32 japa21
          May 15, 2014 at 4:02 pm

Tell you what, they can have all of it now and I’ll take 80’s and be happy.

May 15, 2014 at 4:14 pm

Sounds reasonable-ish. At least for you, maybe. Me, I don’t really mind 30’s at night – I can always huddle under the comforters or turn on the heater.

• 34 57andfemale
        May 15, 2014 at 4:07 pm

Miserable indeed. But there’s all kinds of misery, apparently: triple digits in L.A., snow in WY, frigid temps in Chicago…….

6. 35 GGail
    May 15, 2014 at 3:47 pm

Chips!
    You have GOT to stop changing Posts when I’m trying to catch up.

I left a lovely message for Linda, now only the late comers will see it :-( I thought I was still current and in the correct thread. :shock:

May 15, 2014 at 3:51 pm

What language is this ‘Люблю все… Не проектирую мосты’? Is it Russian? Now I have two such speakers following me. I haven’t blocked them, I guess because I’m still trying to figure out why the first one would follow me. :grin:

8. 47 japa21
    May 15, 2014 at 3:52 pm

I know other people have commented on the new style emoticons. And I am a late comer to that world. But really, can they be changed back. Everytime I see one I think of toast.

May 15, 2014 at 4:34 pm

Japa, what I wouldn’t give to have the old ones back!!!!! I don’t think they are taking any feedback, which is a pity.

9. 52 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    May 15, 2014 at 4:35 pm

GA, TOD. Taking a short break from some long overdue chores. I clearing closets. I’ve gained a lot of weight in the last year due to various meds I now take — you know its bad when your undies and sweats get too tight. As I have an abundance of clothing that I can no longer wear, I’m bagging it up and will deliver it to the Goodwill; briefly considered doing a yard sale, but that’s more than I can handle right now. I’ve been Blessed, so I hope my small donation will Bless someone else…

Thanks to HZ, Cindy, and others who have left prayers and words of encouragement.

NCLB, I read your outstanding medical report! I pray for you and all of the TOD family daily.

Well, this break is over, time to fill another bag.

• 53 57andfemale
      May 15, 2014 at 4:40 pm

Sending healing and positive energy your way, Alycee………

• 54 GGail
      May 15, 2014 at 4:56 pm

Alycee, good of you to pass your gifts on to a place that will definitely be a benefit to someone else. Don’t over-tax yourself {{hugs}}

10. 55 kasai
    May 15, 2014 at 4:37 pm

Good Day Tods…

Pray for us in San Diego…I am surrounded by fires…glued to the TV..to see if we are going to be evacuated…
    I am so thankful to our governor and service members for working so hard 24/7.
    God Bless President Obama and his family.

• 56 57andfemale
      May 15, 2014 at 4:39 pm

We’re with you, kasai……..

• 57 jackiegrumbacher
      May 15, 2014 at 4:41 pm

We’re all pulling for you, Kasai. Please let us know when the danger is over.

• 60 GGail
      May 15, 2014 at 4:58 pm

Hey kasai, I have been glued to the SD area morning and night. You know you guys are in our prayers here in LA. Be safe and when they say “LEAVE”!, please do so.

• May 15, 2014 at 5:40 pm

Kasai,

PLEASE do not worry!!!

I grew up in the San Diego area (El Cajon, aka Duncan Hunter Sr & Jr CD) and know this to be true.

1) Fires are most dangerous in canyon areas, even without wind b/c they create their own wind/firestorms.

2) Fires RACE uphill, but go downhill very slowly, unless there is a fierce wind.

3) Freeways act as a fire barrier; only wind-driven fires cross freeways. (It’s not windy today, and tomorrow will be much cooler. My guess is that today is the worst day of the week for the fires, so tomorrow will bring only better news.

4) In 1970 (from memory) El Cajon was completely surrounded by flames, which look worse at night from a huge fire, over 100,000 acres IIRC. No loss of life, few if any structures were burned.

5) Remember: you are in NO danger unless you live in a canyon area or on the very top of a hill. Recall the victims of the 2003 Cedar Fire were trying to escape Harbison Canyon — again, canyons are very dangerous.

6) Firefighters are the most awesome civil servants. They are so dedicated, strong and determined.

You, your family and neighbors will be fine.

Look forward to tomorrow’s cooling sea breezes. And remember, the best air is the lowest to the ground.

Scary that it’s only May but vegetation looks like it’s October. The TOD family is with you in spirit and prayers.

• 64 SUE DUVALL SMITH
      May 15, 2014 at 5:47 pm

PRAYING FOR YOU KASAI…HAVE FAMILY IN CARLSBAD AND MY SON IS A FIREFIGHTER THERE…GOING TO INCLUDE YOU WITH ALL MY PRAYERS!

• 65 kasai
        May 15, 2014 at 5:56 pm

Thanks Sue…God Bless your son…I swear Firefighters are miracle workers… I so appreciate their hard work, I can’t thank them enough.

• 66 purpleshoesla
      May 15, 2014 at 5:57 pm

Stay safe Kasai. My folks live down in Oceanside and my Mom works for Cal State San Marcos. They tell me that they’re okay and not in harm’s way but I’m checking in with them hourly and probably going to go down after work tonight.

• May 15, 2014 at 7:17 pm

Will do Kasai, and am also thankful for your public servants and Pres. Obama.

• 70 kasai
        May 15, 2014 at 7:21 pm

Thanks Carol…with everything that is going on in the world..I feel at ease knowing President Obama is our CIC.
        #Blessed

• May 15, 2014 at 7:24 pm

It makes a huge difference doesn’t it? I was so relieved when he was reelected. Fire scares me, I’d be nervous and watching tv too.

• 72 kasai
            May 15, 2014 at 7:36 pm

I am trying not to stress too much…I uploaded Alert signal on my phone for my area in case of an evacuation…watching TV is depressing. When I read of all the resources and procedures put in place by President Obama, amazing to watch, all servicemen in action, using some high tech equipments I have never seen. Hopefully when all is calm, I plan to drop by our Fire Station maybe drop them a “thank you” card or baked goodies. We have 22 Military Helicopters working 24/7, something we didn’t have in 2007.
            Bless our President, our Servicemen and Firefighters

• May 15, 2014 at 7:40 pm

I’m glad the area is well equipped. That took planning. They were expecting fires like this in CA it sounds like. I’m sure they’ll love baked goodies, especially if they’re homemade. I’m sure they would appreciate any thank you.

• 74 kasai
                May 15, 2014 at 7:46 pm

Yes.. I heard they have been planning for the past 2yrs.
                with communication/coordination of all state and federal resources.
                I am not a good baker…but will do my best:-)

• May 15, 2014 at 7:48 pm

;) I’m sure there are great bakeries in the area. Stay safe. Are you alone?

• 76 kasai
                    May 15, 2014 at 7:53 pm

Yes…My son wants me to pack up and drive to Orange county..I just can’t get on a FWY right now, not knowing what can happen while I am gone…Plus many streets and Freeways are closed. I may wait until everything calms down.

11. 84 kasai
    May 15, 2014 at 4:41 pm

Thank you kindly 57andFemale..

12. May 15, 2014 at 4:43 pm

Afternoon everyone.

In scorching weather news: an El Niño to rival that of 1997-98 is shaping up for 2014-15. Which, if it follows patterns, means that the western US should see much needed drought relief, and the east and midwest should not be subjected to Snowmaggedons.

Haven’t been around much, just been generally cranky. I have a post idea in my head entitled “Weapons’ grade stupid”, but the examples are so plentiful that I don’t know how to whittle them down.

• 88 57andfemale
      May 15, 2014 at 4:46 pm

Been missing you.

• 89 japa21
      May 15, 2014 at 4:55 pm

I think that topic is more approrpiate for a dissertation than a blog post. Stupidity is the default position for much of the country right now: all of GOP, significant portion of the left, and most independents, and also all of WHPC and DC Pundits.

You’re right, too much material. Of course, it would be like shooting fish in a barrel.

13. May 15, 2014 at 4:59 pm

OMG! You guys! So funny!

14. 95 kasai
    May 15, 2014 at 5:07 pm

I am just so grateful for President Obama…
    I’ve seen the damage and lives on in the 2007 San Diego fires. This time around we’ve had more than a dozen fires burning simultaneously…and as of today not a life has been lost…lots of damage. I have never seen such swift response and organization…Service members from Camp Pendelton with high tech equipments worked through the night to keep us safe.
    Our President has made all resources available…and is always ahead of the game…I Love my President!

With wildfire season just around the corner and much of the west and southwest still dangerously dry, the Obama Administration has released its National Cohesive Wildland Fire Management Strategy.

15. 99 COS
    May 15, 2014 at 5:17 pm

OMG, Randi Rhodes just played an her interview of PBO when he was a senator. It was great. He is consistent. It was right after Bush had stole the election.

16. 101 57andfemale
    May 15, 2014 at 5:20 pm
  17. May 15, 2014 at 5:34 pm

Because I love my TOD family, here is something to make you smile. Trust me.

May 15, 2014 at 5:36 pm
    • 105 Zekke Lydonna
      May 15, 2014 at 6:09 pm

Before we anoint Hilary Clinton as the next President, shouldn’t we:

1. Wait until an official announcement of her candidacy
      2. See her policy paper.

May 15, 2014 at 6:13 pm

If I didn’t know differently I would think that the “ready for Hillary” folks and the MSM are afraid that HRC would not be able to withstand a proper Dem primary – and so feel the need to push her coronation well ahead of time to shut potential candidates out prematurely and to manipulate the public.

May 15, 2014 at 6:59 pm

I remember Michael Hargrove, no we did not start seeing ReadyForGore signs when Pres. Bill Clinton still had 3 years in office. And to be honest with you I’m sick of all the Queen Hillary, or shall I say President Hillary.

19. May 15, 2014 at 5:50 pm

Tzar Vlad’s and ‘unintended consequences’ ….

“NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen stressed that NATO will continue to stand up for freedom and security in light of the Ukraine crisis. “We already have more planes in the air, more ships at sea and more exercises on the ground … We are also considering the longer-term implications of Russia’s actions for what we do in NATO,” the Secretary General said at the Bratislava Global Security Forum on Thursday (15 May 2014). In a keynote speech, he outlined an Alliance readiness action plan in preparation for the Wales Summit in September.

The Alliance is taking a close look at how it can develop and deploy the right forces for defence and deterrence, Mr. Fogh Rasmussen said. He said that the Alliance is looking to strengthen the ability of its NATO Response Force and Special Forces to respond quickly to any threat against any member of the Alliance, including where there is little warning. The readiness action plan also includes a review of joint exercises, threat assessments, intelligence-sharing arrangements, early-warning procedures and crisis response planning. “They are all defensive measures. They are in line with our international obligations and in line with a changed security landscape, where more than ever we need to be ready, prepared and flexible,” said the Secretary General.

The Secretary General took part in a working lunch with the four Prime Ministers of the Visegrad Group of nations, focusing on the Ukraine crisis and preparations for the Wales Summit. The Visegrad group includes Slovakia, Poland, Hungary and the Czech Republic. He met separately with Slovak President Ivan Gasparovic, Prime Minister Robert Fico, and the Minister of Foreign Affairs Miroslav Lajcak, as well as President elect Andrej Kiska.

The Secretary General thanked Slovakia for its valuable commitments to the Alliance since joining NATO 10 years ago. He also stressed that the crisis in Ukraine shows that defence matters and that Allies have to invest more in defence to preserve their security. “NATO is based on solidarity: all for one, and one for all. So NATO keeps every Ally safe and every Ally is expected to play its full part in contributing to our shared security,” he said.”

• May 15, 2014 at 6:26 pm

And another ….

“Ukraine’s government is reviving a project to construct a liquefied natural gas terminal on the Black Sea shore in Odessa Oblast that experts say could satisfy at least 10 percent of Ukraine’s gas needs in the short term and 20 percent in the long term.

Sergiy Yevtushenko, the newly appointed head of the State Agency for Investment and Development, which is responsible for the LNG-terminal project, says the price for LNG in Ukraine is $370-380 per thousand cubic meters. Regasification, he says, should add $40 to that figure, making the total cost $65-75 below what Ukraine currently pays, not including tanker rental. Ukraine gets much of its energy from Gazprom, the Russian state-controlled energy giant.

Since former President Viktor Yanukovych’s fall from power on February 22, Prime Minister Arseniy Yatsenyuk’s post-revolutionary government has made energy independence the cornerstone of its energy policy.”

More at the link in the tweet …

20. May 15, 2014 at 6:17 pm

“MARIUPOL, Ukraine — In what could represent a decisive turning point in the Ukrainian conflict and a setback for Russia, thousands of steelworkers fanned out Thursday over the city of Mariupol, establishing control over the streets and routing the pro-Kremlin militants who seized control several weeks ago.

By late Thursday, miners and steelworkers had deployed in at least five cities, including the regional capital, Donetsk, though they had not yet become the dominant force there that they are in Mariupol, the region’s second largest city and the site just last week of bloody confrontations between Ukrainian troops and pro-Russian militants,.

The workers are employees of Rinat Akhmetov, Ukraine’s richest man and a recent convert to the side of Ukrainian unity, who on Wednesday issued a statement rejecting the separatist cause of the self-styled Donetsk People’s Republic but endorsing greater local autonomy. His decision to throw his weight fully behind the interim government in Kiev could inflict a body blow to the separatists, already reeling from Russian President Vladimir V. Putin’s withdrawal of full-throated support last week.

Wearing only their protective clothing and hard-hats, the workers said they were “outside politics” and just trying to establish order. Faced with waves of steelworkers joined by the police, the pro-Russian protesters have melted away, as has any sign of the Donetsk People’s Republic or its representatives. Backhoes and dump trucks from the steelworkers’ factory dismantled all the barricades that had been erected.”

More at the link in the tweet.

And, there’s this ….

May 15, 2014 at 6:21 pm

Sooo, will HRC be contesting the primaries or bill has made advanced reservation for the coronation?