May

President Obama & The First Lady at 9/11 Museum Dedication

President Obama, First Lady Michelle Obama, former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, former Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton, former President Bill Clinton, and Diana Taylor, tour the Memorial Hall at the National September 11 Memorial Museum

Text of the President’s remarks here

President Obama greets Alson Crowther and Ling Young. Alson’s son Welles died saving Ling and others

President Obama delivers remarks as a picture of Welles Crowther, a 24-year-old equities trader who died in the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks after saving at least a dozen people, and his mother Allison are seen displayed on a screen

The President and First Lady return to the White House

108 Responses to “President Obama & The First Lady at 9/11 Museum Dedication”

1. 1 Proud Former White House Intern
    May 15, 2014 at 6:20 pm

Beautiful

May 15, 2014 at 6:22 pm

furst

May 15, 2014 at 6:25 pm

Thanks Chips for these beautiful pics! I didn’t see the ceremony live today but DVR’d it so I’m going to watch it soon.

• May 15, 2014 at 6:25 pm

A pleasure Hopefruit, thank you.

May 15, 2014 at 6:27 pm

Hey you, I made a great (and favourable) discovery today! If I remember correctly, you did say that you loved cats, didn’t you?

May 15, 2014 at 6:36 pm

Hey VC, I did see on my smartphone earlier today that nice little exchange between you and the Count! I almost responded but decided to let the two of you carry on :) :)

Yes I absolutely love cats – I grew up with cats and dogs in our family! I do find it somewhat odd that a conservative male would like kitties so much – but then again, what do I know..

May 15, 2014 at 8:48 pm

Sorry, Hopef, I got sidelined after tapping you on the shoulder, but I see you were already on to my discovery! Does that mean you are keeping a close eye on said prospective..ahem… groom? nudge-nudge. wink-wink :grin: I thought that was a very pertinent (dare I say ‘compatible’) discovery; I actually couldn’t wait to share! He can’t be all bad, after all. :grin::grin:

May 15, 2014 at 9:26 pm

LOL – no I’m not keeping an eye on “groom” but someone (I believe it was JER) had posted a tweet on TOD earlier asking why was Knoller so obsessed with Kitties. Then I happened to see your tweet at some point.

And I’m sure you recall when I had gotten on his case about one of his Kitty tweets earlier this week…they seem to be coming more frequent these days. I guess there’s only so much counting of PBO’s activities one can do…

May 15, 2014 at 9:41 pm

Me, I have another explanation, Hf. I think he is waking up to his budding feelings for a certain kitty lover (who is also becoming more attuned to him) and therefore he is exploring one of her likes. Stranger things have happened. (Hmmmmm a la jodie cantor, I wonder how often he passes through here, and if our wedding plans were what triggered his new sharing of his likes/dislikes? Hmmmmmm.)

May 15, 2014 at 10:16 pm

LOL – vc…you and your explanations!

Knoller had been posting his “kitty” tweets well before there was any talk of the wedding! But I think he lurks here regardless…

May 15, 2014 at 6:31 pm

It appears that our President has built quite a reputation as “Comforter/consoler-in-Chief” across the board. Natural disasters, man-made disasters, natural loss/bereavement, run-of-the-mill moments of demoralization, etc. You name it, people just seek out his calming spirit when they are in distress or doubt. And not just here in the US, but on the international stage. I saw it first hand during his speech at the Mandela Memorial back in December 2013.

Sigh…

• 31 kasai
      May 15, 2014 at 6:41 pm

Yes Hopefruit…I couldn’t agree with you more…as we experience fire disasters here in cali, I feel at ease knowing President Obama is making sure we have all available resources at hand. God Bless him!

• 32 sjterrid
        May 15, 2014 at 9:44 pm

Kasai, you and the people that are in in the path of the fire in California are in my thoughts and prayers for your safety.

• 34 nathkatun7
        May 16, 2014 at 12:14 am

Kasai, I hope you and your loved ones are well and didn’t have to evacuate. I live about 30 miles South of you and we are all praying for you and all our neighbors in the path of these fires!

• 35 kasai
          May 16, 2014 at 12:39 am

Thank you Nathkatun….So far fires seem to have been contained in my area…Glad to hear you are ok.
          I appreciate your kind words.

5. 36 kasai
    May 15, 2014 at 6:32 pm

LOL! don’t ever mess with a cat….

BAKERSFIELD – A cat came to her best friend’s rescue Tuesday when a young boy was attacked by a dog in his driveway in Southwest Bakersfield and it was all caught on video.

6. May 15, 2014 at 6:36 pm

Such a lovely service! đź’ž it was a memorial and a celebration of lives lived, service to others and hope. Tears all round!

7. May 15, 2014 at 6:40 pm

Rev Barber “I don’t know if Republicans will show up. I don’t know if Democrats will show up….But the sons and daughters of slaves…we better the hells show up….IF WE EVER NEEDED TO VOTE, WE SURE DO NEED TO VOTE NOW!!

8. 39 TrumpDog
    May 15, 2014 at 6:40 pm

Where was Cuomo?

9. May 15, 2014 at 6:44 pm

Wait – are they Cheesy Puffs?

May 15, 2014 at 6:52 pm

Sometime I wonder how the hell could POTUS sit down with those two lying disgusting weasels, Boehner and McConnell.

May 15, 2014 at 7:07 pm

Well I don’t blame PBO in this instance. Those sandwiches among other things are making my mouth water. Don’t even notice Boehner and McConnell at the table. The lunch is so compelling!

• 44 Nerdy Wonka
      May 15, 2014 at 7:40 pm

Hahahahaaha. Dream on. Those are chips.

On a more serious note, great post, Chiparoo. Really conveyed the seriousness yet uplifting hope of the day.

10. May 15, 2014 at 6:46 pm

Very fine tribute, Chips. Thank you.

Belated thank you to NW for yet another outstanding R&S. Will enjoy all of it late this evening … busy day.

May 15, 2014 at 6:49 pm

Another 30 minutes before daughter unit reaches arrives at her station.

12. May 15, 2014 at 6:49 pm

h/t to 57andfemale for posting the link and tweet in the previous thread. As you all know, I’m no fan of Rep Grayson, but I do think his tool box is perfectly suited for the suggestion that he alone would be the Dem to participate in Boehner’s #BenghaziClownShow ….

13. May 15, 2014 at 7:00 pm

In the previous thread I posted a tweet about the Ukrainian cup. Well, the fans decided to serenade #Tzar Vlad ….

As a bit of background ….

:D :D :D

May 15, 2014 at 7:01 pm

fun fact.

956,873 comments so far in bt’s blog. Yet 25 million hits. #Friggin’lurkers.

15. 69 anniebella
    May 15, 2014 at 7:11 pm

Obama’s assests estimated at $2 million to $7million. http://www.guampdn.com/usatoday/article/9137423

May 15, 2014 at 7:11 pm

I am bored. Mebbe I should post the pics of some puff adders we caught in south africa.

what say you, bt?

17. May 15, 2014 at 7:16 pm

“Ongoing Violations of OSCE Principles and Commitments by the Russian Federation and the Situation in Ukraine

As delivered by Ambassador Daniel B. Baer to the Permanent Council,

Vienna, May 15, 2014

Thank you, Mr. Chair.

It has now been 76 days since the Russian Federation began its military actions in Crimea, and 59 days since Russia’s lawmakers voted to annex Crimea, all in blatant violation of international law. I know I have reminded the Council of these dates before. They mark only two days out of many when the Russian Federation has broken its OSCE commitments with respect to Ukraine over the past two and a half months. We must not lose sight of Russia’s continued and flagrant disrespect for the sovereignty and territorial integrity of Ukraine.

clip

As my colleague, the distinguished representative of Ukraine, informed us two weeks ago, the Chairman-in-Office’s Special Representative on Combatting Anti-Semitism, Rabbi Andrew Baker, visited Ukraine last month to investigate charges of anti-Semitism there. The United States condemns anti-Semitic rhetoric and activity anywhere it occurs. We also condemn knowingly false allegations of anti-Semitism, especially when made as part of blatant political propaganda campaign. From the beginning of the crisis, Russian propaganda has been rife with allegations of anti-Semitism in Ukraine, dire warnings of a “fascist, neo-Nazi take-over” in Kyiv, and outrageous claims that Ukraine is on the vanguard of a neo-Nazi resurgence in Europe. None of this is true. For instance, Russian media reports claimed that for the first time the Jewish community in Crimea was able to celebrate Passover. This is patently false, because Jews have freely celebrated Passover in Crimea for many, many years. We look forward to Rabbi Baker’s report and hope it will be made available soon.

clip

In closing I’d just like to point out one poll that was released this week. There has been a lot of focus on this poll that polled a thousand people from across Ukraine. One of the questions that was asked and the one that has gotten the most headlines was whether the people felt more loyal to Europe or Russia, and I understand why that’s interesting to headlines. But to me the most interesting part of this poll was that it had asked people in Ukraine whether they were optimistic about the future, and 80% of them said they were optimistic about the future. I think that is a sign of great hope and a reminder to all of us of the importance of the election on May 25 and the opportunity that it presents to the people of Ukraine to start to move forward together and to build that better stronger future as one.”

Definitely worth reading his entire statement at the link in the tweet.

May 15, 2014 at 7:20 pm

Fiiinally. She has arrived.

….

….

….

Dratz. Can’t sleep now.

May 15, 2014 at 7:21 pm

Not exactly the right post for it, but decided to share before I forgot!

20. May 15, 2014 at 7:37 pm

Linda totally earned that picture!!!!

May 15, 2014 at 7:39 pm

congrats, wiw.

22. May 15, 2014 at 7:43 pm
  23. May 15, 2014 at 7:50 pm

Wow:

May 15, 2014 at 7:56 pm

gunnite folks. Thx for all your gremlin fix.