May

Chat on – Spring

A little taste of Spring for your Friday.

***

Nothing is so beautiful as Spring –
When weeds, in wheels, shoot long and lovely and lush;
Thrush’s eggs look little low heavens, and thrush
Through the echoing timber does so rinse and wring
The ear, it strikes like lightnings to hear him sing;
The glassy peartree leaves and blooms, they brush
The descending blue; that blue is all in a rush
With richness; the racing lambs too have fair their fling.

What is all this juice and all this joy?
A strain of the earth’s sweet being in the beginning
In Eden garden. – Have, get, before it cloy,
Before it cloud, Christ, lord, and sour with sinning,
Innocent mind and Mayday in girl and boy,
Most, O maid’s child, thy choice and worthy the winning.

— Gerard Manley Hopkins

***

***

Chat on, springbirds!

97 Responses to “Chat on – Spring”

1. May 16, 2014 at 5:16 pm

GA TOD……hope everyone has a wonderful weekend :cool:

• 2 sabreen60
      May 16, 2014 at 5:18 pm

Congrats lovelyplains and hello to you and all TODers.

• 4 No Child Left Behind
      May 16, 2014 at 5:21 pm

Congrats, LovelyPlains, and thanks for LL for such delights for my eyes. I wish I had a garden just like that below my window. Exquisite poem to debut my Friday evening. Thanks.

• 5 Cindy
        May 16, 2014 at 5:32 pm

Good afternoon No Child Left Behind,

HAPPY FRIDAY TO YOU!

I read the AWESOME news about your recovery, and I was so elated. What a WONDERFUL BLESSING; healing for those who dare to have faith and pray. I left you a prayer on the late night thread after reading the news, not sure if you saw it but I was sooooooo happy reading the news when I got in. I am so grateful that the sun is shining upon you. May you be blessed indeed-always; filled with joy and complete healing and wholeness.

Prayers changes things and situations when we dare to believe, and when we exercise the power of prayer and faith.
        Warmest Blessings {{{{No Child Left Behind}}}}

May 16, 2014 at 5:32 pm

Congrats LP on #1 – I take it that classes/finals are over for now?

• May 16, 2014 at 5:40 pm

Indeed HF….Does waking up at 3 in the afternoon……and posting on 5 p.m. ‘chat on’ constitute sneaking into first place on R&S :?:

• 9 lockewasright
        May 16, 2014 at 5:46 pm

I watched that DVRed episode. Yeesh! The entire Bates family is positioned to become even creepier and more powerful at the same time. Yikes!

May 16, 2014 at 5:52 pm

Indeed locke. Creepiest.ShowOnTV.Evah. Yet something keeps dragging the viewers back for more. :) :)

My only complaint is that we have to wait too long for Season 3….but I will abide!

• 11 lockewasright
            May 16, 2014 at 5:55 pm

Have you seen the 1st two seasons of American Horror Story? Oh everyone else’s god! The 2nd season is flat out diabolical! (Each season is its own stand alone story. None of the characters or story line carries over.) There have been 3 seasons, but the 1st two were creepier than the 3rd which was great in its own right.

• 12 lockewasright
              May 16, 2014 at 6:01 pm

If you haven’t, ya hafta, Hafta, HAVE TO! There is an actor in the 2nd season who has since played a protagonist in a movie. I couldn’t make myself like him. He had creeped me out so badly in his 2nd season role in American Horror Story that I just couldn’t like him as a protagonist.

Btw, I am not a fan of slasher films. A full season of plot and character development with twists and turns and emotional investment in characters is a whole different thing!

May 16, 2014 at 6:03 pm

No I haven’t seen AHS, but I’ve heard about it. Heard it’s quite creepy as well. But my interest in Bates stemmed from my love of the original Psycho movie. Well to be honest I wasn’t at all keen on a series and never watched the first season until this year…then I got hooked and couldn’t stop. LOL!

• 14 lockewasright
                May 16, 2014 at 6:08 pm

I was nervous that it wouldn’t be worthy of what it came from. I have been pleasantly surprised!

Didn’t it just break your heart to watch Norma Emma’s 2 weeks notice?! I wanted Norma to break down and let her in on what was happening so badly.

• 15 lockewasright
                  May 16, 2014 at 6:09 pm

*watch Norma ACCEPT Emma’s 2 weeks notice…

May 16, 2014 at 6:14 pm

Yes – poor Emma. At least Norman told her about Dylan. I think she will change her mind about quitting. Norma is just to caught up with Norman at the moment to worry about anyone else’s needs at this point.

• 17 Cindy
      May 16, 2014 at 5:36 pm

Happy Friday lovelyplains!

Congrats on 1st, wtg

Have a WONDERFUL Friday evening and night.

2. 18 sabreen60
    May 16, 2014 at 5:16 pm

I’m a Spring baby. I love the Spring.

• 19 lockewasright
      May 16, 2014 at 6:05 pm

Give me sun and greenery! I grew up in central Ohio. As I was graduating college, my dad asked me: “So, which warm weather state will you be moving to?” Winter is the WORST!

May 16, 2014 at 5:21 pm

WOW- LL you’re holding down the fort very nicely today! :)

4. May 16, 2014 at 5:23 pm

……U.S. allies in Europe see an added bonus to a comprehensive nuclear agreement being reached with Iran: a potential partner in the energy war against Russian President Vladimir Putin. Iran and world powers will resume negotiations this week in Vienna with the aim of forging a final deal on Iran’s nuclear program by late July. Such a deal could cap parts of Tehran’s nuclear program in return for an easing of international sanctions.

U.S. and European sanctions on Tehran for its nuclear work have resulted in the shutoff of virtually all Iranian energy sales to Europe since 2012. Prior to then, Iran was a major supplier to such countries as Greece, Italy and Spain. Western energy companies are expressing growing interest in returning to Iran as a result of the nuclear talks. And European countries, wary of Russia’s military moves into Ukraine, see renewed Iranian energy supplies as a way to undercut Mr. Putin’s ability to use oil and gas as a weapon against the European Union and many former Soviet states.

“It would be good for Iranian energy to flow back into Europe,” said Georgian Defense Minister Irakli Alasania in an interview last week. Georgia’s Tbilisi government reoriented its energy purchases to Azerbaijan from Russia after the Kremlin threatened to cut off gas supplies during territorial and diplomatic disputes, Mr. Alasania said.

U.S. lawmakers have been pressing the White House to increase energy sales to Europe, particularly liquefied natural gas. The revolution in American energy production in recent years, driven by “fracking” technology, could allow the U.S. to drastically increase these exports, while also supplying the domestic market. European officials said the combination of increased U.S. and Iranian energy supplies to the European Union could emerge as a major challenge to Mr. Putin and the Kremlin’s finances……..”

5. 25 GGAIL
    May 16, 2014 at 5:26 pm

LL, you’re jammin today! Awesome job dude!!

6. 26 Nena20409
    May 16, 2014 at 5:26 pm

LovelyPlains and Sabreena60 earned The GOLD!

Congrats.

7. 27 Nena20409
    May 16, 2014 at 5:27 pm

Love this Twitpic

photo/1

8. 30 Dudette
    May 16, 2014 at 5:28 pm

Beeeeautifil!

9. 31 Dudette
    May 16, 2014 at 5:34 pm

Bagger retort:

May 16, 2014 at 5:37 pm

Exactly – surprise to whom? Certainly not to anyone here on TOD…

• 36 jackiegrumbacher
      May 16, 2014 at 5:41 pm

Exactly, Hf. Only the dingbats who reflexively doubt everything our president does are surprised by his success. Things work when he does them because he things before he acts.

• 37 Vicki
      May 16, 2014 at 5:44 pm

Good tweet, hf. I am glad that Vox can see clearly here, even if it is a rare occurence for them to see clearly.

11. 38 Dudette
    May 16, 2014 at 5:39 pm
  12. 39 Dudette
    May 16, 2014 at 5:40 pm
    • 40 Nena20409
      May 16, 2014 at 5:44 pm

Once again ;) Change has come to America.

• 41 57andfemale
      May 16, 2014 at 5:53 pm

So I tracked this story down: The AR Supreme Court pulled a SCOTUS-type order: it’s not staying the judge’s previous order that allowed same sex marriage. But it’s upholding an earlier decision that the counties have the right to NOT issue marriage licenses to same sex couples until the issue is totally decided.

God.

13. 43 Dudette
    May 16, 2014 at 5:41 pm
  14. 44 Dudette
    May 16, 2014 at 5:43 pm
  15. 45 Nena20409
    May 16, 2014 at 5:46 pm

Okay…..the Fever of ACA is finally becoming a REALTY to those who are unaffected by Facts?

Hmm?

Well, the jig is up: A GOP pollster predicted Friday that Republican rhetoric on Obamacare will change once they have cleared their primaries.

The New York Times reported on the comments made by Bill McInturff, a partner in Public Opinion Strategies, a Republican polling firm, at a conference for the American Association for Public Opinion Research in California.

“After the primaries, expect a shift in Republican candidates’ rhetoric against Obamacare,” McInturff said.

16. 46 Dudette
    May 16, 2014 at 5:47 pm
    • 47 pkayden
      May 16, 2014 at 7:01 pm

Go Sandra. I really like her. Even if she doesn’t win the seat she’s running for, I hope she stays in the political limelight.

17. 48 Nena20409
    May 16, 2014 at 5:48 pm

LL Thank you for the Spring Photos.

Thanks for Stepping in and keeping our TOD Community HAPPY :)

18. 50 Nena20409
    May 16, 2014 at 5:51 pm

5-16-14

Jay “Clark Kent” Carney’s presser at the WH Today.

19. 51 Dudette
    May 16, 2014 at 5:52 pm

Enjoy! :-D

20. 53 Dudette
    May 16, 2014 at 5:55 pm

Stunning!

21. May 16, 2014 at 5:55 pm
  22. May 16, 2014 at 5:55 pm

This tweeter does yeoman’s work.

• 56 0388jojothecat
      May 16, 2014 at 6:10 pm

Tell it to Donald Sterling A-hole……I guess what Donald Sterling said and things he has said in the past are just figments of Black people’s imagination?

23. 57 Dudette
    May 16, 2014 at 5:56 pm
  24. 58 0388jojothecat
    May 16, 2014 at 5:56 pm

Well today was Randi Rhoads last radio telecast. She will be missed but there be someone else to take her place in time. I remember when we had Michael Jackson (English talk show host on KABC) gone……..then we had Tom Leykiss , gone, then we had Stephanie Miller, gone but still around on internet and other state local radio. SoCal has no liberal radio host but at least Rush and Sean are not doing well on Randi and Stephanie’s old radio station. She will be missed but she was burned out. I hope she comes back.

• 59 Dudette
      May 16, 2014 at 6:00 pm

“She will be missed” – most definitely

• 60 Nena20409
      May 16, 2014 at 6:09 pm

Dems and Left leaning minds with money need to believe in a strong Media echo chamber for the Left since the righties have theirs and the MSM cheer them on and have willfully abdicated their Objective Role as the Umpire…..Fact Finders, Truth Seekers and Accountability Maintenance Group…..The 4th Branch of Gov’t.

In order to Convey, Converse, Dialogue Sane and Sound messages in the South and Mid-West and the Rocky Mountains…….A Messaging…… Left driven Medium must be built.

• 61 0388jojothecat
        May 16, 2014 at 6:15 pm

Times have changed that no one gets information from free radio or television anymore. Most young people and people that have computer access or internet access get information through these mediums. It will be interesting what happens with Net Neutriality if the big money will cut that off from the masses.

• 62 Nena20409
          May 16, 2014 at 6:31 pm

Not all quite true. Those who are active Voters on a regular bases are still the 50 yrs and up and they are very much consumers of information……the old fashion way.

It is not for naught. Visual is still the best way to get to those people.

• 63 99ts
            May 16, 2014 at 8:55 pm

Not sure about the US – but I’m getting closer to the three score years and ten – and my friends/generation are much more inclined to use the internet for their news. I agree the generation of my parents still use the TV for their news – but most are 80 and older.

• 64 mtmarilyn
      May 16, 2014 at 6:13 pm

She will be missed! I listen to all my radio shows on my phone on either iHeart or Progressive Voices. Also online. They are really trying hard to limit our information, but we will prevail.

• 66 pkayden
      May 16, 2014 at 7:04 pm

I listen to 3 hours of Stephanie Miller every day via her website or Free Speech TV. Absolutely love her!

I am sorry to hear about Randi. Used to listen to her when she was on Air America. She will be missed.

25. 67 Dudette
    May 16, 2014 at 5:58 pm

Aha! They went to outer space instead of the National Mall

26. 69 Dudette
    May 16, 2014 at 6:03 pm

This!

27. 70 Dudette
    May 16, 2014 at 6:05 pm
    May 16, 2014 at 6:07 pm

Heh…I don’t recall Bush & Cheney visiting a burger/food joint and America being any interested in what they were eating or where they were for that matter….

I

29. 73 Dudette
    May 16, 2014 at 6:12 pm

Maybe the 30 million American Springers just got a late start on their bikes

May 16, 2014 at 6:15 pm
    • 75 99ts
      May 16, 2014 at 9:00 pm

I do like that the first sentence in that link starts with

“Edward Snowden reporter says ”

He’s lost his identity – hahahaha

31. 76 Dudette
    May 16, 2014 at 6:23 pm

I would’ve had to leave home yesterday to get to work on a bike today (Atlanta’s infrastructure sucks for cars, bikes, and pedestrians), that is if I was in shape enough to ride that far. But I love this concept. Wish policy makers would plan our cities
    better and make it easier for people to do this.

A couple of guys I work with commute by bike, rain or shine. Although they don’t live 35 miles from the office, i salute them.

May 16, 2014 at 6:27 pm

So I see on my TL that Greenwald is throwing a hissy fit about the new AA hired to replace Jill Abramson at the NYT. But shouldn’t he direct his anger at the NYT?

33. 84 Dudette