May

Rise and Shine

On This Day: President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama greet the family of Specialist Leslie H. Sabo, Jr., U.S. Army, outside the Oval Office prior to a Medal of Honor ceremony honoring Specialist Sabo, May 16, 2012. Pictured, from left, are: Kathleen Starkey, sister-in-law; Rose Sabo-Brown, widow; Frances Buccelli, mother-in-law (Photo by Pete Souza)

Today

The President has no public events scheduled

1:0 EDT: Jay Carney briefs the press

7:0 EDT: Kansas First News will begin live streaming from the First Lady’s visit to Topeka where she will attend an event honoring the city’s high school graduates (Link)

Completely Random Tweets

Sorry everyone, no time for newsie stuff this morning, will catch up later-ish

On This Day

President Obama cheers for his daughter Sasha’s soccer team at a park Washington, D.C. on May 16, 2009 (Photo by Pete Souza)

Remember this woman. She drove us NUTS!

First Lady Michelle Obama meets with students prior to her commencement speech at the University of California, Merced on May 16, 2009

First Lady Michelle Obama addresses the first four-year graduating class at the University of California Merced, May 16, 200. (Photo by Samantha Appleton)

President Obama attempts to block a shot by personal aide Reggie Love during a basketball game at Fort McNair in Washington, D.C. , Sunday, May 16, 2010. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan, left, watches the play (Photo by Pete Souza)

First Lady Michelle Obama receives an honorary Doctor of Public Service degree from George Washington University’s Marshall Jill Kasle, as student Alison McDougal stands by, May 16, 2010

President Obama hosts the University of Connecticut men’s basketball team for a ceremony honoring their 2011 NCAA national championship in the East Room of the White House, May 16, 2011

President Obama greets members of the University of Connecticut men’s basketball team in the Green Room of the White House following an event celebrating the team’s 2010 NCAA basketball championship, May 16, 2011 (Photo by Pete Souza)

President Obama speaks at a Democratic National Committee (DNC) fundraiser in Washington, DC, May 16, 2011

VP Biden in Salem, May 16, 2012

President Obama meets with small business leaders at Taylor Gourmet, a sandwich restaurant, with Small Business Administrator Karen Mills (L), May 16, 2012 in Washington, DC

President Obama holds up a hoagie he purchased after visiting Taylor Gourmet, a sandwich restaurant, May 16, 2012 in Washington, DC

President Obama has lunch with members of the Congressional Leadership in the Oval Office Private Dining Room, May 16, 2012. The President served hoagies from Taylor Gourmet, which he purchased after a small business roundtable earlier in the day. Seated, clockwise from the President, are: Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, and House Speaker John Boehner (Photo by Pete Souza)

President Obama presents Rose Mary Sabo-Brown with a Medal of Honor for her late husband, U.S. Army Specialist Leslie H. Sabo, Jr., during a ceremony in the East Room of the White House in Washington, DC, on May 16, 2012. Sabo was awarded the metal for his extreme acts of bravery while fighting in Cambodia during the Vietnam War. Sabo picked up a live enemy grenade and threw it back while shielding a wounded comrade with his own body. He then charged an enemy position, throwing another grenade into an enemy bunker killing himself in the blast.

President Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama talk to Rose Mary Sabo-Brown after the President presented her with a Medal of Honor posthumously awarded to her late husband, U.S. Army Specialist Leslie H. Sabo, Jr.

First Lady Michelle Obama meets with Emine Erdoğan, wife of the Prime Minister of Turkey, in the Yellow Oval Room of the White House, May 16, 2013 (Photo by Lawrence Jackson)

President Obama talks with Mark Childress, Deputy Chief of Staff for Planning, in the Oval Office, May 16, 2013 (Photo by Pete Souza)

President Obama talks with Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan of Turkey on the South Portico prior to a working dinner at the White House, May 16, 2013 (Photo by Pete Souza)

MoooOOOooorning!

160 Responses to “Rise and Shine”

May 16, 2014 at 10:15 am

:) Morning, you!

• 4 99ts
      May 16, 2014 at 10:16 am

woohoo – thank you Ms Chips – now I will go and read the good news & stop being bothered by the likes of Chuck Todd spreading lies and rumors. The DC media is gossip mongering on skates.

• 5 MightyPamela
      May 16, 2014 at 10:26 am

Top 4!! Roll on, 99ts!

• May 16, 2014 at 10:40 am

Moooooorning/evening 99ts, mooooorning everyone – sorry for the lack of news, it was one of those mornings :-(

• 7 99ts
        May 16, 2014 at 10:53 am

No worries – that there tweet with McCain sending the troops for his Chinese meal had me ROFL.

I stayed awake to see if the rebels had invaded DC – but not a word anywhere – the rain must have caused a postponement of the revolution.

May 16, 2014 at 10:15 am

GM! Great R/S!!

May 16, 2014 at 10:19 am

G’morning Chips, TOD, lurkers, everyone and congrats 99ts and df on 1st-place tie!

Thanks Chips for another excellent Friday R & S round-up! :)

May 16, 2014 at 10:23 am

Lemme see if this sticks

One big consolation for me is that my educated southern state didn’t fall for the modi magic. Out of 39 seats, bjp was able to eek out just one seat despite having a mixed masaalaa alliance with umpteen local parties.

Also, one of the ruling dynasties from my state, who were the major fountainhead of mega corruption in alliance with the congress party at the fedearlk level, were decimated with zero seats. It was an immense satisfaction for me.

The two most educated states in south and one in east totally shunned modi and bjp..

• 11 Judith Fardig
      May 16, 2014 at 11:31 am

AMK, glad India’s election worked out peacefully, but I’m worried about what the new regime will (not) do to address climate change. What’s you take on it?

• 13 jackiegrumbacher
      May 16, 2014 at 12:31 pm

Amk, who did come out ahead in the educated states? Could you tell us who you voted for?

• 14 amk for obama
        May 16, 2014 at 12:34 pm

The local ruling govt’s parties won. I voted for a new party, called Aam Aadmi Party, that was formed barely six months ago formed on anti-corruption platform. Of course, the guy lost his deposit. :)

4. May 16, 2014 at 10:24 am

Gooood mooorrninnnngggg, Chips, BTs and TODville.

• 16 Nerdy Wonka
      May 16, 2014 at 10:51 am

That’ll be a historic and moving moment that’s for sure.

Thanks to their courage, millions of us gained a chance at a better future.

5. 17 99ts
    May 16, 2014 at 10:25 am

So Todd is misrepresenting Valerie Jarrett and talking about Hillary Clinton having brain damage. They are vile these people – I hope the President refuses to speak with them for the rest of his term. Hillary is about to discover how very hard it was for PBO to stop the birther talk.

6. 18 MightyPamela
    May 16, 2014 at 10:27 am

May I express my appreciation that Rise & Shine is not called Up & At ‘Em!! ;)

• 19 99ts
      May 16, 2014 at 10:30 am

You are being very oz oriented this week MP – I think you know more Australian idioms than I have seen in my many years here. I’ll blame my mother – she was determined I was not going to talk aussie slang – the one she hated the most – “g’day”

• 20 MightyPamela
        May 16, 2014 at 10:34 am

My apologies if it is in order! Having grown up in the DC area, then up to Canada for a decade, I just adored the Strine, and believe me it took some tutoring to get a grip on it, it’s so very silly, well, unusual! Of course you dear Mother did not want you to speak it, I understand that. But as a second language, it’s a hoot! You should hear my daughter go off on her Bogan when she gets fired up, you would bust a side gasket!! She, also, will never say g’day. You two would have fun!

• 21 99ts
          May 16, 2014 at 10:51 am

No apologies needed – I was just congratulating you on your knowledge. Did you ever read “They’re a weird mob” – we all read it in the 60s – the author lived down the road from some friends of mine – not really who he appeared to be in the stories.

7. 22 MightyPamela
    May 16, 2014 at 10:30 am

Heading back in time now, to see what has gone on while I was on the other side… Wondering how those million patriots are causing traffic and commute problems all through the District of Columbia.

8. 23 sherijr
    May 16, 2014 at 10:34 am

LOL, MP .. I concur, I can rise and I can get up.. but I’m rarely shining, or at’em :) :) Happy Friday everyone !

9. 28 yardarm756
    May 16, 2014 at 10:35 am

Bbl off to the eye Doc again.

10. May 16, 2014 at 10:38 am

Good morning TODville,

Just dropping in for a moment to vent.

Catching up on overnight news via @nycjim Twitter timeline, I saw a comment on an update on SoCal fires which basically blamed “Mexicanos” or some such nonsense.

If that bigot would check the facts, he would find that with the exception of campfires that got out of control, arson of chaparral with intent to do as much damage as possible (i.e., the crazies who set fires when it’s hot and windy here) are white dudebros who have no respect for anything, and believe that everything is owed to them.

Recent immigrants are too busy with their own lives and want to make everyone’s life better, including their own. Recent immigrants do not believe that everything is owed to them and that it’s fun to destroy homes and lives.

About 15 years ago, my right rear tire blew out on the freeway near the intersection of the Ventura and Hollywood freeways, a very busy interchange. It wasn’t late, but it was dark. A young man who spoke no English stopped and changed my tire. A CHP officer stopped, said to the young man, “Oh, you’re helping her?” and then took off. I am forever grateful for that young man’s empathy and courage and it makes my blood boil to hear white dudebros spout off on something they know nothing about.

End of rant.

May 16, 2014 at 10:49 am

This!

• 33 99ts
      May 16, 2014 at 11:03 am

Thanks Arapaho – as I said on the early bird thread – in my world some arsonists have been firefighters – looking for the glory – the others that I remember have been teenagers thinking to create some “fun” – they have also been started when rangers are “back burning” & they lose control, plus lightening.

So there can be many reasons for fires – but always someone to find the “racist” reason.

• 35 Judith Fardig
      May 16, 2014 at 11:33 am

Righteous rant, Arapaho!

• 36 GGail
      May 16, 2014 at 11:40 am

arapaho, much appreciated rant! The young man who’s photo was shown this morning on KTLA was definitely of Caucasian race.

11. 37 anniebella
    May 16, 2014 at 10:41 am

Some nice pictures this morning, I have to say this, except for the one with Boehner and McConnell in there. The other three in the picture are just fine. :)

12. 38 Don
    May 16, 2014 at 10:55 am

So now everybody wants to grab their pitchforks and hunt down Karl Rove for saying Hillary Clinton might have brain damage, excuse me, but I could not care less. Bill Clinton undermines President Obama every goddamn chance he gets. During the 2008 Democratic Primary race, Bill Clinton called then Senator Barack Obama every name in the book this side of the N-word, and during one episode he didn’t necessarily disagree with the birthers. I’m not going to lose one millisecond of sleep worrying about Karl Rove attacking Hillary Clinton. The Clintons know what the deal is, this isn’t their first rodeo, they signed up for this.

• 39 Vicki
      May 16, 2014 at 10:58 am

The Clintons are grateful to Karl Rove for the three day domination of the news cycle he handed to them.

• May 16, 2014 at 11:19 am

Rove set the trap and Clinton walked into it. It’s that simple. He should have laughed it off or let one of his sycophants handle it. I give him credit for rapid response. As 2004 showed you can’t let anything linger. It’s just Clinton should have let someone else do it.

13. 41 Linda
    May 16, 2014 at 11:08 am

Knock, Knock….

Who’s there ?

Code Enforcement….

May I help you, Sir ?

Are those your chickens running around the neighborhood ?

Yes Sir.

Get rid of them….you have 10 days. !

hahhaaa

• 42 Dakota
      May 16, 2014 at 11:46 am

This exact thing is happening in a small village right outside of Santa Fe. People fighting about their neighbors having chickens. If any place should NOT be concerned about chickens, it’s this place. It’s fairly rural, coyotes, bobcats, elk and the like reside there and people have to get rid of their chickens. The chickens make too much noise. It’s bizarre.

• 46 99ts
      May 16, 2014 at 11:18 am

• May 16, 2014 at 11:22 am

Gosh, I wonder if the Secret Service can handle such a huge objection to tyranny.

May 16, 2014 at 11:57 am

I hope they march straight to you know where. So these racists idiots think that they should wipe away our votes because they don’t like the black President. When they march straight to you know where, take their racism with them.

• 59 Alycee (@jazziz2)
      May 16, 2014 at 11:35 am

Click the livestream link in the tweet; looks like a busload – maybe…

• 60 Linda
        May 16, 2014 at 11:50 am

old and white…

I saw a guy using a walker.

• 62 Alycee (@jazziz2)
        May 16, 2014 at 12:03 pm

Ok, I had to click off; I was laughing so hard that I couldn’t breathe and the O2 was upstairs. They we mustering on Arlington Cemetery Dr, dude with the bullhorn says “… we’ll cross Memorial Bridge and rally in front of Air&Space…, before we step off, let’s sing the National Anthem” dude the belts out “Oh, Beautiful…” other Teabaggers had to over-sing to get them on the right song… LOL

• 63 sherijr
      May 16, 2014 at 11:50 am

clicked on the link… the guy shouts “everyone sing Star Spangled Banner…” then proceeds to sing America the Beautiful. What a bunch of smarmy hypocrites.. wanting to overthrow legally elected officials while yelling about going back to the Constitution. Such nasty people. Calling themselves “patriots”

• 64 sherijr
        May 16, 2014 at 11:52 am

wow one guy just talked about “hitting Obama”. They’ve confused patriot with racist. That is all this is about, hating the duly elected President of the United States. Racist POS.

• 65 sherijr
          May 16, 2014 at 12:01 pm

one guy just said “Got sent us”. Lotsa “Obama” hate. They seem to have forgotten that Majority rules in America, it’s called Democracy.. they lost and they just can’t handle that.. it really is all about a black man in charge of what these white bigots believe belongs only to them.

One guy just stated this is a Christian country, not a Muslim country.. even though “I’m not Christian, I stand w/Christians”.. some thick bs out there.

• 66 sherijr
            May 16, 2014 at 12:02 pm

whoa, they actually are stating that they are now living as slaves. what world are they in??

• 67 Alycee (@jazziz2)
        May 16, 2014 at 12:04 pm

LOL. I caught that, too. Phone rang as I was typing…

• 68 sherijr
          May 16, 2014 at 12:11 pm

they make me sick.. and they make me laugh. Oh good they’re going on a break.. I can tear myself away.

14. 69 Gazelle
    May 16, 2014 at 11:19 am

[Wow! This might make me enter a fast food joint, well ... this one!]

Chipotle doesn’t just want to advertise to its customers, it wants to entertain them. That’s the thinking behind a new plan called “Cultivated Thought” that the company recently announced, which will feature original short stories by prominent authors on its cups and bags. And the names of the authors who’ve signed up may surprise you: Toni Morrison’s participating, and Malcolm Gladwell is, too.

Author Jonathan Safran Foer came up with the idea and pitched it to company CEO Steve Ellis. “I selected the writers, and insofar as there was any editing, I did it,” Foer told “Vanity Fair” about the editorial process. “I tried to put together a somewhat eclectic group, in terms of styles. I wanted some that were essayistic, some fiction, some things that were funny, and somewhat thought provoking.”

The series also includes work by George Saunders and Michael Lewis.

If you’re not going to be at a Chipotle soon, here’s Morrison’s story:

Click link to read: http://colorlines.com/archives/2014/05/toni_morrison_to_write_short_stories_for_chipotle.html

• 70 Gazelle
      May 16, 2014 at 11:22 am

[Ms. Morrison, damn this is beautiful!]:

[.....] I closed my eyes expecting to dissolve into stars or lava or a brutal sequoia when the famous writer appeared and leaned down over me. Lifting my head he put his lips on mine and breathed into my mouth one word and then another, and another, words upon words then numbers, then notes. I swallowed it all while my mind filled with language, measure, music, knowledge.

These gifts from the famous writer were so seductive, so all encompassing they seemed to make a heart irrelevant.

• May 16, 2014 at 11:32 am

Chipotle recently came into Knoxville market. Haven’t been to either one yet, but definitely will get there!!!!!! Thanks for sharing this.

15. 73 donna dem 4 obama
    May 16, 2014 at 11:20 am

GM TOD!

Okay I don’t normally waste my time with foolishness but because it’s cloudy, rainy and my friggin old a$$ dentist screwed up the tooth that he worked on two weeks ago and now the tooth is badly infected (he was asked to retire earlier this week) and now has to be extracted I decided I needed a pick me up. So I went to the Operation American Spring Facebook page and I haven’t laughed that hard in ages. I was literally in tears laughing out loud at some of the comments that we liberals are leaving for these wackos. If ever there was a bunch of nuts these people are the epitome of crazy. I can’t wait until they show up today all 50 of them in this flooding swampland that is DC right now to take back their country.

16. 80 Gazelle
    May 16, 2014 at 11:25 am

[They need to worry about their pedophiles, not Jessica's Tux.]:

Jessica Urbina is a senior at San Francisco’s Sacred Heart Cathedral Prep, but she won’t get to participate in one of high school’s storied traditions. Urbina wore a tuxedo for senior photos, and that decision has brought down the heavy hand of the San Francisco Archdiocese, which governs the areas Catholic schools and mandates that female students wear dresses in their portraits. The school announced this week that it has pulled Urbina’s photo from the yearbook.

Urbina’s supporters have started the hashtag #JessicasTux in support of the graduating senior, and students at the school have begun wearing bowties to class in protest. Urbina, along with family members, is set to meet with school administrators on Friday.

17. 82 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    May 16, 2014 at 11:32 am

GM, TOD! 15 bags filled and I’m not half way done. I’m going to need a Mack truck to take this stuff to the Goodwill. smh…

18. 83 Ladyhawke
    May 16, 2014 at 11:33 am

Chuck Todd to Sen. Johnny Isakson: Do you know how ridiculous you sound?

NOTE: The most surprising thing about this video is that Chuck Todd asked a very pertinent question of a Republican pol. The pouting from Senator Isakson is pretty much business as usual. You can see he was not expecting to be confronted about his shenanigans by a trusted water carrier.

19. 86 Dakota
    May 16, 2014 at 11:34 am

Good Morning TOD Family!

I want to thank everyone from the bottom of my heart for all the birthday wishes yesterday. Love youse!

20. 88 Gazelle
    May 16, 2014 at 11:34 am

[This I've gotta see! Chiwetel Ejiofor can knock on my door any, any day! Idris, I'm being fickle -- not! You can both knock on my door, we'll figure out the days! LOL! :) ]

Nigeria’s booming film industry has taken a step in the right direction with the forthcoming U.S. release of Half of a Yellow Sun.

The blockbuster movie stars Oscar nominee Chiwetel Ejiofor, alongside Hollywood star Thandie Newton, as well as other reputable actors.

The film is directed by celebrated playwright-turned-filmmaker, Biyi Bandele. It is based on a bestselling novel of the same name by acclaimed author, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie.

“I read the book,” says Nigerian-born British director. “I loved it and fell in love with the characters.”

He says he wanted to direct a film adaptation because “I had never encountered African characters like Kainene [singer and actress Anika Noni Rose] and Olanna [Newton] on the big screen before.”

With a budget in the region of $10 million, Yellow Sun is one of the more expensive films to come out of the Nigeria.

Lots more here: http://thegrio.com/2014/05/15/nigeria-nollywood-hollywood-stars/

21. 95 Ladyhawke
    May 16, 2014 at 11:36 am

Senate GOP filibusters tax-cut bill it supports

By Steve Benen

—————————————

Remember, we’re talking about tax breaks that Republicans support. But when it came time to advance the legislation, 40 GOP senators voted and 39 of them decided to filibuster the bill.

So why did Republicans balk? The answer has to do with process: they said they wanted to vote on a series of amendments to the bill, and when Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) refused, they decided to at least temporarily block the legislation they like.

Do the GOP senators have a legitimate gripe? Not really, and it’s important to understand why.

—————————————-

May 16, 2014 at 11:37 am

• 97 Desertflower
      May 16, 2014 at 11:43 am

Seriously . Global financial community is letting Putin know he royally fucked himself. Idiot

23. 98 Judith Fardig
    May 16, 2014 at 11:41 am

Dear TOD, don’t know how I’m going to stand being away from you all for a month, but I’ll be mostly off the grid traveling. Stopover in DC for a week on our way to Rome to stay in my sister’s extra bedroom while she runs the Temple Law School summer program. We are so blessed to be able to do this. Ciao!

24. 117 GGail
    May 16, 2014 at 11:45 am

Chips!
    I can’t believe none of you pointed out the typo to Chips already…”Sabo was awarded the metal (should be medal) for his extreme acts of bravery while fighting in Cambodia during the Vietnam War.”

Y’all let this late “west coaster” win the prize! Thank you, thank you, thank you :-)

May 16, 2014 at 11:47 am

Riley told Connors that heavy morning rains had dampened turnout, but he said out-of-town visitors camping outside the capital would likely arrive later Friday or through the weekend.

A group of demonstrators shown on another live stream said shortly after 11 a.m. that they started their march into Washington, but one of them moved the goalposts from the capital to anywhere supporters lived.

“Can’t get to Washington, D.C.? Not a problem,” said a man wearing a black cowboy hat and plastic rain poncho. “Go to your state representative. Can’t get to your statehouse? Not a problem. Go to your county courthouse. Can’t get to your county courthouse? Not a problem. Sit in your own front yard, holding a sign.”

Sit in your own front yard, holding a sign. lmao. What a buncha clueless clowns.

26. May 16, 2014 at 11:58 am

Morning all.

Sorry that you now have RWHNJs in power, amk. Hopefully Modi will keep them well away from the nukes.

27. May 16, 2014 at 11:59 am

May 16, 2014 at 12:01 pm

LOL. Some nut in red was yelling ‘we are all here, where the hell are you?”

29. May 16, 2014 at 12:02 pm

• 135 sherijr
      May 16, 2014 at 12:04 pm

Holy crap this guy from Cuba is really confused.. and loony “Bengazhi”!!

• May 16, 2014 at 12:04 pm

Great, another one of my people embarrassing me.

• 137 sherijr
          May 16, 2014 at 12:09 pm

oh the white folk out number him.. and I am no way embarrassed ;) These are grownups completely in charge of their own hateful behavior.. they somehow managed to get to DC on their own.. thus they are capable of learning, and getting proper, correct information about what actually is going on in this country.. deficit, Benghazi, veteran care.. all the stuff they’re shouting about. I neither feel sorry for them, are embarrassed by them.. I’m just super glad that they are a tiny minority.. and I will always vote to keep them in the minority. They’ve been with us from the beginning of our country.. someday hopefully they will dwindle to nothingness. Maybe this is a part of their last breath.

• 140 sherijr
        May 16, 2014 at 12:05 pm

Ignorance is apparently not bliss at Operation Spring… lots of crazy here.

• 141 GGail
      May 16, 2014 at 12:20 pm

LL, some of these tweets are laugh out loud funny!!!

30. 146 donna dem 4 obama
    May 16, 2014 at 12:09 pm

• 147 GGail
      May 16, 2014 at 12:23 pm

This is too easy for causing laughter

“How fitting that #EndangeredSpeciesDay & #OperationAmericanSpring are happening on the same day.”

‘Give us your inbred, your toothless, your NASCAR aficionados’

“We’re mad as hell, and we can’t remember why.”

May 16, 2014 at 12:11 pm

BOOM – I guess we will have pics soon! How’s that working out for ya #OperationAmericanSpring?!?

• 149 donna dem 4 obama
      May 16, 2014 at 12:13 pm

Now let me see how quickly I could take the red line to Dupont Circle :)

May 16, 2014 at 12:17 pm

Unfortunately donna, your boss just sent a txt telling me to let you know that you are needed in the office until 8PM tonight. It’s an emergency meeting…

Also, the red line probably stopped working because of earlier rains…
        :) :)

• 152 Don
      May 16, 2014 at 12:33 pm

You have got to be kidding! Please tell POTUS and VPOTUS aren’t out in Dupont Circle having lunch and laughing the “Spring Uprising” assholes?

May 16, 2014 at 12:15 pm

I hope Mr. Mom is just joking right? ROTFLMAO!!

33. 156 sherijr
    May 16, 2014 at 12:16 pm

So big signs “Bengahzi Liar In Chief” eh, looks like a Fox news ad to me.

34. 157 Gazelle
    May 16, 2014 at 12:20 pm

This is a hoot! It’s Friday, good to laugh! Mom & Son made me LOL!

35. 159 sherijr
    May 16, 2014 at 12:21 pm

a self described ‘preacher” just called President Obama “Barry Sotero”. yep I’m done now.

RSS OFA