May

Night owl chat – TEDTalks: Nature, beauty, gratitude

From YouTube:

Nature’s beauty can be easily missed — but not through Louie Schwartzberg’s lens. His stunning time-lapse photography, accompanied by powerful words from Benedictine monk Brother David Steindl-Rast, serves as a meditation on being grateful for every day.

***

Revel in beauty, and chat on, Night Owls!

88 Responses to “Night owl chat – TEDTalks: Nature, beauty, gratitude”

1. May 22, 2014 at 9:43 pm

From bottom of previous thread ….

President Obama has, and continues to do, an astounding job of restoring the moral authority of the USA. Fact is, he would have been in a vastly stronger position regarding Russia’s criminal actions in Syria and Ukraine, and in his efforts on Iranian nukes and the Israel/Palestinian conflict, and much, much more, if George W Bush, had acted swiftly and responsibly in Afghanistan and if he had not LIED to the entire world in order to illegally invade and occupy Iraq. I can assure you that had McCain or Romney been elected the US would have remained in Iraq irrespective of the consequences.

#TrustBarack

2. May 22, 2014 at 9:45 pm

Thank yooooooooooou LL, I love these!!

3. May 22, 2014 at 9:54 pm
  4. May 22, 2014 at 9:55 pm
    May 22, 2014 at 9:56 pm

“I didn’t have much money, but I had time … and a sense of wonder.”

Lovely.

6. 10 donna dem 4 obama
    May 22, 2014 at 9:57 pm

And this my friends is it for me today. It’s back to work tomorrow. Good Night TOD!!!

7. May 22, 2014 at 9:59 pm
  8. May 22, 2014 at 10:01 pm
    May 22, 2014 at 10:07 pm

LL –

1. Turns out I could calm down my mind for 9:47.

2. I didn’t realize how much I needed this tonight, after the hustle and bustle of yet another “good day.”

So, thanks!

10. 15 donna dem 4 obama
    May 22, 2014 at 10:08 pm

One More:

11. 16 Nena20409
    May 22, 2014 at 10:11 pm

Wow…..this AM TOD had 25, 303, 875 or so hits and now?

25,315,028 and counting.

That is a BFD. Over 11, 000 hits in just a few hours.

Go TOD!

Good Night, TODville.

12. 17 Nena20409
    May 22, 2014 at 10:12 pm

Au for our TODable Doc Bobfr. Congrats.

G’Nite.

13. May 22, 2014 at 10:13 pm

This why I have been vegetarian my entire life……

Watch the video after the Ramos segment as well (automatically continues)…….two girls Googled Boehner hangouts…. found & cornered him.

14. May 22, 2014 at 10:14 pm

You want a big, whopping dose of EVIL …..

15. May 22, 2014 at 10:17 pm

O/T has anybody ever heard of One America News Network? All of a sudden I have this new channel between Fusion, BBC, and Fox…..

16. May 22, 2014 at 10:21 pm
  17. May 22, 2014 at 10:25 pm

POTUS is too funny:

18. May 22, 2014 at 10:26 pm
  19. May 22, 2014 at 10:28 pm
  20. May 22, 2014 at 10:42 pm

Superb!!!!

May 22, 2014 at 10:51 pm
  22. 49 JER
    May 22, 2014 at 10:55 pm

POTUS has arrived at his Kenwood home.

May 22, 2014 at 11:20 pm

So POTUS is staying at home tonight. It has been a long time since FLOTUS and the girls have been back there.

23. May 22, 2014 at 10:55 pm

VERY IMPORTANT

“The events in Volnovakha, despite their inconceivable tragedy, rocked the world of Ukrainian special forces.

The announcement by the General Staff Commander of the Armed Forces of Ukraine that the “Rubicon has been crossed,” and that the army will retaliate for this bloody terrorist massacre–is only a small detail. According to our data, the response that’s being planned is truly large-scale. And this [time it] won’t be a false start.

I sincerely believe that every one of our fallen Heroes will be avenged. To do otherwise is not possible.”

You are cautioned that if you click on the link in the tweet, you will see images of war.

24. May 22, 2014 at 11:05 pm

Has hell frozen over? afraid to read the article past the headlines……

May 22, 2014 at 11:45 pm

Our President sprinkled magic Obama dust around Bibi on this one. Wow. Good to hear this statement from him.

• May 23, 2014 at 12:40 am

I still refuse to read the article, JB. I wan’t to bask for 8 hours until the pundits get a hold of this in the morning, and rip it apart…….or much more likely not cover it all b/c it would make them all look stupid. Goldberg would immediately be booked for MTP if it was an anti-Obama interview….this is their M.O. ……I have a feeling there will be a weekend whitewash, and VA scandal fever will rule the day.

May 23, 2014 at 12:57 am

Unfortunately, I believe you are wise to expect all that. So, tonight we’ll both enjoy the statement and revel in its meaning.

• May 23, 2014 at 1:36 am

Wow, so this guy finally had the wisdom to recognize the brilliance of our President. PBO has gone the distance to be a factor for good in Israel. I only wish the positions were not so hardened as to preclude real peace.

25. May 22, 2014 at 11:06 pm
    • 58 99ts
      May 23, 2014 at 12:42 am

The world is full of RW hate – how we treat so many who have seen their countries ravaged by war is truly disgusting.

• May 23, 2014 at 7:58 am

What is considered “Right Wing” in Britain is actually quite centrist (and perhaps even slightly left of center) in the US .

26. 60 dotster3
    May 22, 2014 at 11:20 pm

And then we have people like Rev. Corey Brooks, who is “highly visible in Chicago’s black community”, who has endorsed Durbin’s opponent, conservative Republican Jim Oberweis, whose policies would be severely damaging to the church community he leads. Talk about voting against your self interest. Brooks has somehow decided that Dems need to be taught a lesson—–or something—-that they can’t take black votes for granted—-no one got a pony——and so he has come up with this brilliant plan. I am out of patience with this kind of dumb stuff.

May 22, 2014 at 11:25 pm

Well hopefully people will vote for who they want too. Rev. Brooks won’t make their decision on who to vote for. Just because you’re a pastor doesn’t mean I have to vote for who you vote for.

• 62 MaewholoveourCIC
      May 23, 2014 at 5:29 am

Don’t worry, most black folk are not led but who a pastor of a church endorsed.

May 22, 2014 at 11:49 pm

@Georgia4Hillary followed me. Sorry, guys, luckily when you block someone, there’s a spot to check for “annoying.”

28. 65 dotster3
    May 22, 2014 at 11:53 pm
    May 22, 2014 at 11:53 pm

ROFL:

30. 67 dotster3
    May 22, 2014 at 11:56 pm

Just saw Ron Reagan Jr. do a promotional spot for the Freedom From Religion foundation, for safekeeping of separation of church and state, as the founders intended, he reminded.

31. 68 LDS
    May 22, 2014 at 11:57 pm

AB, I agree with you totally.
    Rev. Brooks, Billy Graham, Rev. Al have followers because of their faith and beliefs.
    But when you are alone in that booth you have to make your own choice.
    Brillant plans have known to backfire. Ask Mc Angry and Romney…….
    It was so-called liberals and emoprogs who told people not to vote in 2010.
    We are ALL tired of that dumb stuff.
    I just wish they would makeup their minds. If they are not going back to be a republican, just go and stop sitting on the fence already.

• 69 99ts
      May 23, 2014 at 12:46 am

“But when you are alone in that booth you have to make your own choice.” My Mom used to say this – and smile – she never argued politics with my Dad – but she voted her view – and forever refused to say what that was.

32. May 23, 2014 at 1:06 am

I leave you with this gem good people of TOD….. GN

May 23, 2014 at 1:14 am

It’s after midnight in my town, so I’m outta here!

May 23, 2014 at 1:21 am

One more!

35. May 23, 2014 at 1:39 am

PBO is in his old home tonight. I imagine him sitting quietly in a corner, reflecting on the distance between 2008 and 2014.
    Or maybe he’s just playing cards and having a beer with old friends!!

• May 23, 2014 at 2:01 am

Whatever, meta, it’s lovely to imagine all that travels through his mind as he dwells and rests in what must be a home that through much of his early life he likely never imagined sharing with a spectacular wife, two darling daughters and a grateful, global family.

Good night TOD.

36. May 23, 2014 at 2:12 am

Just had to post this before departing ….

37. 78 Bill R.
    May 23, 2014 at 3:02 am

A great video with Brother David Steindl-Rast. He is a practitioner of Zen meditation and was one of the pioneers in the East-West dialogue. He and Zen Buddhist teacher Robert Aitken produced a book called The Ground We Share based on several days of dialogue. He was one of my spiritual mentors along the way. His words here are a great teaching in awakening to heartfulness in the present moment.

38. May 23, 2014 at 3:15 am
    • 81 Ladyhawke
      May 23, 2014 at 7:02 am

Brilliant tweet meta. I have not seen much reporting on this very important fact about executive orders. One of my pet peeves is that too many Americans just don’t know the basics about how our government works. I wish there was some way to give everybody a crash course in GOVERNMENT 101. Knowledge is power.

May 23, 2014 at 8:01 am

Civics/Government 101 should be a requirement for getting a driver’s license. Yes we would have fewer drivers, but probably better drivers and definitely a more knowledgeable electorate.

• May 23, 2014 at 9:52 am

Yeah, I was trying to make the point that although Executive Orders mean that the POTUS does have authority to issue some dictates within certain parameters, Congress can always legislate to undermine him. He can veto but unless we have a strong Dem Congress, this winds up being a tug of war with the possibility of no good resolution.

May 23, 2014 at 8:02 am
  40. 86 Paulita
    May 23, 2014 at 8:22 am

Good Friday Morning TOD! I hope everyone’s weekend is off to a good and memorable start, and the beginnings of many more.. 8-D

True story. My last apartment in Chicago was literally right around the corner from the Obama’s residence. I actually walked through their home before they bought it when my godmother and I would go to to the open houses in the neighborhood. Their home was my favorite, compared to the other mansions and old estates in the area. (I lived in a converted coach house upstairs from a sister- who still lives there) next door to Operation PUSH, and around the corner down the street from Louis Farrakhan. I used to tell my niece, ‘when push comes to shove, sh** happens over here!’

But my first exposure to the Hyde Park neighborhood was as a student in the mid-seventies at the University of Chicago; having moved out of the very same neighborhood Roseland, and graduating from the same community that a certain famous community organizer a few years after, attempted to organize. :D

Sometime I’ll tell you about my encounter(s) with Muhammad Ali. 8-)

41. 88 sjterrid
    May 24, 2014 at 7:39 pm

LL, thank you for posting this. The imagery and beauty on the faces of all these people along with the words of the Monk David Steindl-Rast brought me to tears.