May

The Journey To West Point

bf87e94ed9e47414550f6a706700c874

President Barack Obama walks on the South Lawn of the White House in Washington to board Marine One helicopter, as he travels to deliver the commencement address at the United States Military Academy at West Point.

013307a3d9e57414550f6a706700e47a

e0e4bc1cda0c7514550f6a70670021be

President Barack Obama steps off Marine One, upon arrival at Andrews Air Force Base, Md

cea6ee50da0c7514550f6a70670090f9

President Barack Obama, accompanied by Colonel David L. Almand , Commander of 89th Airlift Wing, walks toward Air Force One

2724bb0fd9e67414550f6a706700fd1e

b9b411f6da0c7514550f6a706700a6a1

cf113566da527614550f6a706700f830

President Barack Obama and Senate Armed Service Committee member Sen. Jack Reed, D-R.I., laugh as they walk down the steps from Air Force One, upon their arrival at the Stewart Air National Guard Base in Newburgh, New York

839031a4da6b7614550f6a706700bc71

President Barack Obama talks with Col. Timothy J. LaBarge, Commander of the 105th Airlift Wing, after arriving on Air Force One at the Stewart Air National Guard Base in Newburgh, New York

2014-05-28T144710Z_1965395513_GM1EA5S1QYK01_RTRMADP_3_USA-OBAMA

President Barack Obama arrives for the commencement ceremony at the United States Military Academy at West Point, New York

110 Responses to “The Journey To West Point”

1. 3 Vicki
    May 28, 2014 at 11:34 am

just checking in after speech to see what TOD thought.

May 28, 2014 at 11:42 am

It was an EXCELLENT speech. Comprehensive yet nuanced as only Pres Obama can. You can read some of the comments on the previous thread to see more immediate reactions.

May 28, 2014 at 11:44 am

Also, there were also a lot of indirect “STFU’s” to the feckless media and their GOPer/Libertarian friends…

• 6 Vicki
        May 28, 2014 at 11:51 am

Agree hopefruit. I loved this speech.
        Just because you have the biggest hammer doesn’t mean every situation requires a nail. LOL

• 7 jackiegrumbacher
        May 28, 2014 at 12:16 pm

Yes, Hf, that did jump out at me. The simplistic media and their GOP cohorts are incapable of grasping the changing world and the need for flexibility and nuance. They are still back in another era.

May 28, 2014 at 11:35 am

May 28, 2014 at 11:38 am

• 11 Ladyhawke
      May 28, 2014 at 1:38 pm

As Joe Sonka joked, “McConnell saying that Kynect can survive the repeal of Obamacare is like saying that the Oklahoma City Thunder can trade Kevin Durant, but keep his jump shot.”

4. 12 Ladyhawke
    May 28, 2014 at 11:43 am

MCCONNELLS GIBBERISH IS BACKFIRING BIG TIME

Say again, Senator, ACA unkynected?

• May 28, 2014 at 12:05 pm

I don’t believe it’s backfiring. It’s a winning strategy for McConnell so long as Grimes keeps running away from The President, a popular Governor The ACA and 400,000 of her fellow citizens. Decouple Obamacare from Kynect and dare Grimes to challenge him on it. So far so good. Say what you want about McConnell the man knows how to play the game.

• 14 amk for obama
        May 28, 2014 at 12:16 pm

Isn’t that a local rag op-ed? If they are saying this, then I am not sure all the gimmickry from the mcturtle will work magic for him.

Of course, grimes having not a clue on how to go with Obamacare is true.

• 15 EricFive
          May 28, 2014 at 12:26 pm

THIS!!!

• May 28, 2014 at 1:16 pm

Mitch doesn’t care. If he can get away with it why not. I seriously doubt enough Kentuckians are going to remember what their local newspaper said no matter how many times they repeat it. McConnell knows his constituents.

• 17 amk for obama
            May 28, 2014 at 1:20 pm

If that is so, then why the awkward slide now to you get to keep your kynect lie? Obviously his polling is saying that even the kyiand are starting to get a clue about this soshalist care. So he is panicking.

• May 28, 2014 at 1:31 pm

Because his opponent is an idiot. And if she won’t take credit for it why not him? I don’t know if it’s a panic move or not. Maybe but that’s beside the point. This is opening salvo to take control of the narrative of a wildly popular program in Kentucky. If you think it looks awkward now wait a few months when he tries to pretend the whole thing was his idea. Politicians don’t care about awkward. They care about votes and ol amitch can count as good as anybody.

• 19 amk for obama
                May 28, 2014 at 8:24 pm

You are overestimating his political skills as well as his inevitability factor in KY. The reason he may win is rather due to the ineptitude of his opponent than his ‘acumen’.

• 20 57andfemale
        May 28, 2014 at 12:29 pm

She’s wasted precious time when McConnell gave her a gift with this Orwellian nonsense. I just googled to see if she’d done anything and apparently she’s still running away from ACA. What the eff is wrong with her? From whom is she getting her advice?

• 21 Vicki
          May 28, 2014 at 1:05 pm

The administration-in-waiting, perhaps?

• May 28, 2014 at 1:19 pm

Possible but I doubt it. This is how too many Blue Dogs below the Mason-Dixon line play the game. Pretend you never heard of the President and hope no one notices. Think back to 2010. They ran from PBO and got wiped out.

• May 28, 2014 at 1:26 pm

What’s wrong with her imo is Mitch has her spooked. Anytime she goes near ACA McConnell screams Obama and she jumps back into the bushes. Instead of standing up and saying she supports Kynect and McConnell is a liar Grimes is too busy questioning her own party affiliation.

Keep it up and she’ll be sitting home after November wondering what happened.

• 24 57andfemale
            May 28, 2014 at 1:48 pm

Well, if she’s that easily spooked she shouldn’t be playing in the big leagues. The only reason 2010 was the disaster it was was because of Dem’s hiding and running. I’m tired of it. It gets them nothing but an even more insane, flat-earth, reactionary country. Stand the hell up. Your chances of winning aren’t all that wonderful anyway that ‘protection’ is going to win you the seat. Be an honest broker for the people of KY.

• May 28, 2014 at 2:06 pm

You are so right. Dems have played this game for too long and even though it doesn’t work they keep playing it. McConnell is using her own fear against her. The problem is not just Grimes. No she shouldn’t be playing in the big leagues but who do you go out and get when they all do it? Jack Conway against Rand Paul did the same thing and got crushed.

• 26 57andfemale
                May 28, 2014 at 2:23 pm

If voters are ‘confused’ about ACA or the lies of McConnell or Pence or Brewer or Scott or Paul or Cruz or Cantor, then isn’t it up to the candidates running against them to ‘un-confuse’ them? What the hell is the point if you’re not going to educate the people of what is true?

The VA ‘scandal': how about Dems stop thinking they’re going to get anywhere by also blaming Shinseki and actually stand up for PBO’s excellent record on cutting backlogs in half and including many veterans who couldn’t get into the system and desperately need care before he became President? How about CHANGING THE NARRATIVE instead of ‘agreeing’ with GOP because they’re screaming outrage? These are the missed opportunities that drive me nuts. I don’t need to hear Michelle Nunn and Grimes pander to the RW about the ‘changes’ necessary for ACA. Stand up with passion for the MILLIONS of Americans who now have health care and the millions of Americans who will have jobs with the health care of Americans the ‘product’. Stand up for PBO’s record with the VA.

Every damned Democrat should be out there today with righteous praise for PBO’s foreign policy speech, which brings this country back to sanity and maturity in foreign policy.

I just checked to see if Debbie Wasserman Schultz had even tweeted about it, much less get her party out there supporting PBO. Not a peep. I’ve sent her a slew of tweets. We let the RWNJ’s write the narrative and then we respond. PBO’s excellent record with the VA, his sane and mature foreign policy speech – the entire damned party should be out there cheering. Believe me, the narrative would change. The coverage would change. Dems would look like they knew how to govern and stand up for Democratic ideals. THAT would move the needle. Maybe in tiny increments, but how the hell did the GOP get where they are? By tiny increments.

Come on DWS – set the narrative and get your candidates and officials on board.

• 27 57andfemale
            May 28, 2014 at 1:51 pm

How about every effing Dem going out there today and praising PBO’s foreign policy speech about returning us to foreign policy sanity and maturity? Every effing one of them, instead of the likes of Grimes and the other tepid Democrats waiting to see what the GOP will say before they respond out of fear?

May 28, 2014 at 11:45 am

Good Day, TODobots!
    (I’m listening for my name at West Point so I’m not really focused on what’s happening in the village…yet.) There are a lot of IIs and IIIs, etc in the list of names.

May 28, 2014 at 11:47 am

// Obama’s West Point address, in two words. Magnificently sane.

In a few more words, Obama’s address, grounded in a mature appreciation of our limits, called for multilateralism–diplomatically whenever possible, militarily if inescapable; it called, given al Qaeda’s fragmentation and dispersal, for global “partners” to suppress it; and, in a direct shot at his Republican critics, it called for a world-involved America that leads by example at home–not through climate-change denialism, or unratified treaties, or the obscenities of a Gitmo that the propagandists and paranoids won’t close.

Because Obama’s speech was so magnificently sane, let the carping and slander begin. //

– See more at: http://pmcarpenter.blogs.com/p_m_carpenters_commentary/2014/05/obamas-west-point-address-in-two-words.html#sthash.QU23nIjA.dpuf

• 30 amk for obama
      May 28, 2014 at 11:57 am

The ground reality is that america, or any other country for that matter, cannot win a war anymore. The last war that was done correctly and won was WWII and every war after that has been complete disaster for the war starters.

• 32 jackiegrumbacher
      May 28, 2014 at 12:19 pm

Good for Carpenter. He nails it. Thx, Hf.

7. 33 Vicki
    May 28, 2014 at 11:49 am

My thoughts on the Afghanistan plan are the Left wants to hear that PBO waved his magic wand and all troops were out of Afghanistan yesterday.
    The RW wants to hear that it will be a forever war.

Richard Engel was noticeably relieved yesterday on Rachel when he said that “2 1/2 years isn’t a very long time but it is better than nothing.” I guess if you don’t count the 10 years we’ve been there already 2 1/2 years isn’t so long. Richard Engel must be getting the big bucks from the MIC.

I found POTUS’ speech today nuanced and intelligent. “We are the Champions” intro and then a discussion of what true champions and winners do.

May 28, 2014 at 11:50 am

I am seeing lotsa latinos tweeting boner literally begging him to pass the immigration bill and making him out to be single most powerful man. How about tweeting to change the current congress and give the gavel to pelosi?

May 28, 2014 at 11:56 am

I suspect these ” Latino Tweeters” are really GOP activists who are afraid that the GOP will lose in Nov 2014 if Boehner is not made out to be a hero somehow….

• 36 Vicki
      May 28, 2014 at 11:56 am

voting the repubs out is the single best way to pass immigration.

Meanwhile POTUS has asked Homeland Security to delay reporting its findings on changing deportation rules. The committee was supposed to report soon and possibly lead to an Executive Action, but PBO has asked for delay according to the NY Times so as not to anger repubs and make any movement on immigration even more difficult.
      I am lost in this tangle.

• 37 EricFive
        May 28, 2014 at 12:22 pm

PBO is giving Boner space and time to pass something, which is the preferred scenario. PBO’s timetable and strategy does not cater to 24 hour news cycle idiocy. Thank God.

9. 42 Ladyhawke
    May 28, 2014 at 11:51 am

Medicaid Deaths, VA Woes, And Fox News Hypocrisy

BY Eric Boehlert

——————————

Twisting itself in partisan knots, Fox News can’t keep track of when denying health benefits to Americans is a good thing and when it’s a bad thing. Here’s a helpful crib sheet: Denying health care by expanding Medicaid is cheered by Fox News. Denying health care through Veterans Affairs backlogs is not.

————————————–

May 28, 2014 at 11:53 am

President Obama’s sister Maya was named after Maya Angelou, no?

11. May 28, 2014 at 12:06 pm

Thank you sooooooooo much Nerdy.

12. 49 anniebella
    May 28, 2014 at 12:13 pm

I heard part of POTUS speech this morning, but I will check it out later when it is posted here.

13. 51 Ladyhawke
    May 28, 2014 at 12:15 pm

Mitch McConnell’s untenable, inescapable Obamacare problem

——————————

McConnell’s been lucky so far in that he made the “unconnected” remark just days after his crushing primary victory over Bevin. The afterglow, plus the fact that he said it on a Friday afternoon before a holiday weekend, has resulted in relatively scant press coverage. And, for whatever reason, the political press seem more interested in asking whether Alison Lundergan Grimes (and other Democratic Senate hopefuls) would have voted for the Affordable Care Act in 2010.

But McConnell’s problems will only mount as he’s stuck arguing that he’ll fully repeal Obamacare, but somehow not the parts that Kentucky likes.

———————————–

• 52 57andfemale
      May 28, 2014 at 12:33 pm

Not unless Grimes makes an issue out of it and uses it against McConnell. So far she has done absolutely nothing.

DSCC – you gonna do anything about this?

• 53 japa21
        May 28, 2014 at 1:08 pm

Actually she is. She is calling out McConnell for living in a fantasy world.

• 54 57andfemale
          May 28, 2014 at 1:45 pm

Took her long enough. I did just read that she finally did it. It feels to me as if she’s looking for excuses to bash ACA if she could get away with it. I understand the problems with the red states – of course I do. But we need to move the needle back from RW Hell and that requires some guts and leadership. ACA is the most important initiative in half a century, making great strides at a centuries-long wrong concerning American health care. At the very least – in a state where ACA has been very successful with a Democratic governor who has her back – Grimes needs to become a quicker and more effective fighter.

Big tent, yada yada. ACA is a market-driven solution and does not fit the hysteria the GOP has created. Dems should damn well make that clear.

May 28, 2014 at 12:16 pm

I sense a Maya Angelou TOD tribute is being prepared right now as we post…My senses are tingling….

May 28, 2014 at 12:40 pm

:grin: :grin: I sensed it too, Hopef, but I figured out our experienced BTs would wait until the West Point grad was over. I was right. Now in all fairness, I’ll let you know that I’m not even going to try to make it to the gate first. I’m in a sit back mode today, so ….

• 57 Nena20409
      May 28, 2014 at 12:50 pm

Yes Indeed.

I hope some of these pictures are included.

• 59 SUE DUVALL SMITH
      May 28, 2014 at 12:59 pm

I AM SAD ABOUT MAYA TODAY…YET I KNOW HEAVEN WILL BE OVERJOYED WITH HER PRESENCE…WE ARE GOING TO GET THUNDER SHOWERS TODAY…APPROPRIATE INDEED.

• 60 HZ
        May 28, 2014 at 2:23 pm

{{{{{{{{{{{{ SUE, you are a gentle and very wise soul.}}}}}}}}}}}}} I am going to make a banana pudding in her memory as I sit and read her book: “Mom & Me & Mom.” Maya Angelou. She was a great cook. I have a niece who lives near Dr. Angelou and her daughter, my oldest great niece had the gracious blessing of meeting Dr. Angelou and getting some very wise gems while my great niece was preparing for the completion of her Masters. It will be a very memorable day for my great niece. Another reason why I am making the banana pudding: Dr. Angelou shared during the visit a delicious serving of her banana pudding with her.

This will give me some goodness in my space as well as celebrate Dr. Angelou’s departing us after touching so many lives. Music was another of Dr. Maya Angelou’s joys, so of course, I will quietly have the classic, Miles Davis, “Kind of Blue.” If I am not mistaken, Chips reminded us of the 88th birthday of Miles Davis this month. Another great legend resting in peace. POB also is a great lover of Miles Davis, and we all have seen his love and respect for Dr. Maya Angelou on display during his presidency.

We too celebrate her going home today. Pray for her son, Guy. And pray for Oprah to be comforted during this time as well. HZ

May 28, 2014 at 12:19 pm

May 28, 2014 at 12:21 pm

I like the way SOS Kerry is so obviously part of PBO’s Foreign Policy team, and how honored he is to be a part of it. :) :)

May 28, 2014 at 12:31 pm

You think about it, it was during Kerry run for the White House that I first heard of Barack Obama and met his lovely family. I think Sec. Kerry is better then the last one, who shall go nameless.

May 28, 2014 at 12:44 pm

IMO, Annieb, the last one, who shall go nameless, was primarily looking for resume creds, while SoS Kerry is actively (and unselfishly I think) striving for (world) peace.

• 65 Vicki
          May 28, 2014 at 1:08 pm

yes to both of you,anniebella and vc. John Kerry is a man to admire. The other one, not so much.

• 66 carolyn
            May 28, 2014 at 2:30 pm

Absolutely yes to what the previous four said! But, then all of you know I am a John Kerry fan.

• 67 Obama Grandmama
        May 28, 2014 at 5:53 pm

I realize that the GOP presidential candidates usually run more than once while the Dems do not. However, that could be only if they did not win the party battle. I keep thinking SOS Kerry should run again for Prez in ’16. I bet he would not be swift boated this time around.

May 28, 2014 at 12:26 pm

FYI…just makes me miss her all the more.

“5 Things About Maya Angelou That Most People Won’t Talk About”

18. 69 Ladyhawke
    May 28, 2014 at 12:27 pm

Grimes hits back: On Obamacare, Mitch McConnell is in “fantasyland”

By Greg Sargent

————————————

As Joe Sonka points out in a good piece, McConnell is betting that press coverage won’t clearly explain to voters just how absurd his position really is. But perhaps now that Grimes is engaging on the issue — to some degree, at least — that could serve as a hook for top shelf reporter and commentator types to take a peek at what’s really going on here.

It should be self evidently newsworthy that the leader of Senate Republicans, who have based their entire 2014 strategy on the idea that Obamacare is a long term political disaster and massive repudiation of liberal governance, refuses to take a clear position of his own on the law’s future in the state he would represent, and on whether hundreds of thousands of his own constituents should continue to enjoy its benefits.

——————————————

May 28, 2014 at 12:27 pm

• 72 EricFive
      May 28, 2014 at 12:49 pm

Thanks for sharing this encouraging news. I agree with your take that local papers calling out McTurtle is a BFD.

• 73 amk for obama
        May 28, 2014 at 12:58 pm

Yes, the local newsies calling out mcturtle’s surely has got to some play locally. This is a golden unexpected opportunity given to grimes after her dropping the ball earlier. Let’s see is she is smart enough to use it.

20. 74 Nena20409
    May 28, 2014 at 12:35 pm
    • 75 Nena20409
      May 28, 2014 at 12:39 pm

Sorry for the duplication HF2 ;)

Now if ONLY :wordpress: would Stop duplicates in General, than ONLY personal temporary duplicates.

21. 76 Nena20409
    May 28, 2014 at 12:36 pm

Gold for Vetivera24. ;)

May 28, 2014 at 12:39 pm

23. 79 anniebella
    May 28, 2014 at 12:43 pm

I learn that the Republican Congressman who is behind the attack on healthy school lunched is from Alabama, and Alabama has the second highest rate of childhood obesity. You would think he would be working with FLOTUS, instead of against.

24. 83 Nena20409
    May 28, 2014 at 12:45 pm

Per @pullbuster, Russia has withdrawn thousands of troops and Putin will be speaking with the French Pres on June 5th on the Ukraine crisis.

Hmm?

Are these tweets accurate Doc Bobfr?

• May 28, 2014 at 1:07 pm

Nena, I’ve seen a few sketchy reports of troops withdrawing but 10s of thousands remain at the Ukrainian border along with significant armor and air power. When NATO & US Intel begin firmly confirming a return of those troops and equipment to their bases – which are quite far from the Ukrainian border – then we can believe its real.

May 28, 2014 at 12:52 pm

LOLGOP @LOLGOP · 11m
    SO: 83 gun deaths a day and a sexual assault every 2 minutes in America don’t require any legislation. But birth control coverage does?

26. 87 Nena20409
    May 28, 2014 at 12:53 pm

At Clinton’s Inaugural

Dr Maya Angelou.

May 28, 2014 at 1:06 pm

gunnite folks.

May 28, 2014 at 1:24 pm

If something bad ever happens to Andrea Mitchell, I won’t be sorry. That hack decided to use Maya Angelou’s passing as an opportunity to take cheap shots at PBO.

29. 93 Nena20409
    May 28, 2014 at 1:26 pm

30. 95 Nena20409
    May 28, 2014 at 1:29 pm

Karma of Pure Idiotic Behavior? I say the latter.

The son of a snake-handling pastor who died from a snake-bite earlier this year was bitten himself while handling a snake on Monday.

Cody Coots took over pastoral and snake-handling duties at the Full Gospel Tabernacle in Jesus Name in Middlesboro, Kentucky after his father, Jaime Coots — one of the stars of the National Geographic Channel’s reality show Snake Salvation — died of a snake bite on February 15, 2014.

Like his father, Cody refused medical treatment after the bite because a snake-bite is a symbol of God’s will. But unlike his father, he is expected to live.

May 28, 2014 at 1:36 pm