May

Rise and Shine

On This Day: President Barack Obama lays a Presidential challenge coin on a grave in Section 60 at Arlington National Cemetery in Arlington, Va., May 30, 2011. Section 60 is reserved for military personnel who have lost their lives while fighting in Afghanistan and Iraq (Photo by Pete Souza)

Today (all times Eastern)

* President Obama appears on Kelly and Michael – check your local listings here

10:15: President Obama meets with Veterans Affairs Secretary Eric Shinseki, Oval Office

11:0: The President meets with the My Brother’s Keeper Task Force

11:15 EDT: President Obama Makes a Statement

1:0: Jay Carney briefs the press

2:15: The President attends a hurricane preparedness meeting, FEMA Headquarters

Fareed Zakaria: Obama’s leadership is right for today

…. Obama is battling a knee-jerk sentiment in Washington in which the only kind of international leadership that means anything is the use of military force. “Just because we have the best hammer does not mean that every problem is a nail,” he said in his speech Wednesday at West Point.

A similar sentiment was expressed in the farewell address of President Dwight D. Eisenhower, a strong leader who refused to intervene in the Suez crisis, the French collapse in Vietnam, two Taiwan Strait confrontations and the Hungarian uprising of 1956.

At the time, many critics blasted the president for his passivity and wished that he would be more interventionist. A Democratic Advisory Council committee headed by Acheson called Eisenhower’s foreign policy “weak, vacillating, and tardy.” But Eisenhower kept his powder dry, confident that force was not the only way to show strength. “I’ll tell you what leadership is,” he told his speechwriter. “It’s persuasion — and conciliation — and education — and patience . It’s long, slow, tough work. That’s the only kind of leadership I know — or believe in — or will practice.”

Maybe that’s the Obama Doctrine.

Full article here

Fred Kaplan: Obama Lays Siege to His Critics

President Obama’s speech at West Point on Wednesday morning could be called a tribute to common sense, except that the sense it made is so uncommon. The ensuing cable pundits’ complaints—that it was insufficiently “muscular” or “robust”—only proved how necessary this speech was.

Obama’s point was not (contrary to some commentators’ claims) to draw a “middle-of-the-road” line between isolationism and unilateralism. That’s a line so broad almost anyone could walk it.

The president’s main point was to emphasize that not every problem has a military solution; that the proper measure of strength and leadership is not merely the eagerness to deploy military power; that, in fact, America’s costliest mistakes have stemmed not from restraint but from rushing to armed adventures “without thinking through the consequences, without building international support and legitimacy for our action, without leveling with the American people about the sacrifice required.”

More here

Graduating cadets listen to President Obama deliver the commencement address at West Point, May 28, 2014 (Photo by Pete Souza)

NPR: Transcript And Audio: President Obama’s Full NPR Interview

NPR’s Steve Inskeep interviewed President Obama on Wednesday about foreign policy, including his approaches to Syria, Ukraine and China, as well as his remaining White House priorities and his effort to close Guantanamo Bay prison. A full transcript of the interview follows:

STEVE INSKEEP: I want to begin this way. You’re here at this historic place, trying to speak with a sense of history. And I was thinking of past presidents that I know you have studied and commented on. And a couple came to mind who were able to express what they were trying to do in the world in about a sentence. Reagan wanted to roll back communism by whatever means. Lincoln has a famous letter in which he says, I would save the union by the shortest means under the Constitution. As you look at the moment of history that you occupy, do you think you can put into a sentence what you are trying to accomplish in the world?

PRESIDENT OBAMA: I’m not sure I can do it in a sentence because we’re fortunate in many ways. We don’t face an existential crisis. We don’t face a civil war. We don’t face a Soviet Union that is trying to rally a bloc of countries and that could threaten our way of life. Instead, what we have is, as I say in the speech, this moment in which we are incredibly fortunate to have a strong economy that is getting stronger, no military peer that threatens us, no nation-state that anytime soon intends to go to war with us. But we have a world order that is changing very rapidly and that can generate diffuse threats, all of which we have to deal with.

More here

My Brother’s Keeper Task Force Report to the President – PDF

Greg Sargent: GOP retreat on Obamacare continues apace

A new report this morning confirms that House Republicans are likely to delay plans to offer an alternative to Obamacare until after the elections; that multiple Republican candidates are retreating from repeal; and that they are increasingly mouthing support for the law’s general goals. Once again: There’s no real policy space for a meaningful alternative, but the base still sees repeal as its lodestar, yet everyone else opposes repeal, forcing Republicans to claim they’d scrap it and replace it with something or other doing all the popular things in it, without saying what.

More here

Justin Wolfers (NYT): Deceptive Dip in G.D.P. Points to Perils of Election Forecasting

An economic report issued [yesterday] provides a good example of the hazards facing election forecasters. The Bureau of Economic Analysis reported that in the first quarter of this year, Gross Domestic Product, a broad indicator of the health of the economy, shrank at an annual rate of 1 percent. Even worse, an alternative and more accurate measure, called Gross Domestic Income, shrank at an annual rate of 2.3 percent. If that persisted, we’d call it a sharp recession.

But no one is using the R-word. Nor should they. Markets have taken the news in their stride, and few economists have changed their view that the economy is growing and will continue to through 2014. Likewise, consumers remain confident about their economic prospects. Their confidence rests partly on other indicators that suggested far better growth throughout the quarter, such as nonfarm payrolls, which grew by 569,000 over the same period.

More here

National Journal: Lies, Damn Lies, and Global-Warming Rules

The president is about to take a major step to fight global warming. Here’s what you need to know.

President Obama promised to take action on global warming with or without Congress’s permission. Next week, he’ll tell the world how he plans to do it.

The administration is preparing to release the central pillar of Obama’s climate-change agenda: a proposal for far-reaching rules that will require power companies to cut carbon emissions.

The rules will mark the most significant federal action on climate change since Democrats’ cap-and-trade bill died in the Senate four years ago, and they’re Obama’s best shot at adding broad action on global warming to his legacy.

The rules will also touch off a political war of the first order, offering battleground for environmentalists, industry groups, and politicians to fight over the nation’s energy future.

Here’s what to watch for when the administration pulls back the curtain.

More here

ThinkProgress: Redskins’ Twitter Campaign To Defend Their Name Goes About As Well As You’d Expect

The Washington Redskins — desperate to defend the name that Native Americans, members of Congress, a majority of the United States Senate, religious leaders, civil rights groups, several current and former NFL players, United Nations Human Rights representatives, and even President Obama have said should be changed because it is a “dictionary-defined” racial slur — started a Twitter campaign to rally support Thursday afternoon.

It started with this tweet asking fans to tell Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, who has made a habit of chiding the team over its name, how they felt:

More here

USA Today: Biden to attend U.S. World Cup soccer match

The United States men’s World Cup soccer team will have a particularly vocal fan when it takes on Ghana next month: Joe Biden.

The vice president will attend the U.S.-Ghana match on June 16 in Natal, Brazil, as part of a trip that will also take him to Colombia and the Dominican Republic as well as Brazil.

More here

I’m not sure whether to love this video, or be freaked out by it:

I shouldn’t laugh, but:

On This Day

Sen Obama attends a rally in Great Falls, Montana, whilst campaining in the race for the White House. May 30, 2008

Sen. Obama addresses a rally at The Four Seasons Arena May 30, 2008 in Great Falls, Montana

On This Day: Sen. Barack Obama and Ranger Wesley Jensen look at the presidential faces on Mount Rushmore May 30, 2008 at the Mount Rushmore National Memorial near Keystone, South Dakota. Citing the size of his ears, Obama joked that he would not want his face added to the memorial

President Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama walk toward Marine One on the South Lawn of the White House on May 30, 2009 in Washington, DC. The Obamas are traveling to New York City for their date night

President Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama walk towards Air Force One at Andrews Air Force Base, Md., en route to New York where they had a private dinner and attended a play, Saturday, May 30, 2009

President Obama takes part in a Jewish-American Heritage Month reception on May 30, 2012 in the East Room of the White House

President Obama walks to Air Force One prior to departing Chicago O’Hare International Airport on May 30, 2013

@lacasablanca: Oval Office meeting: President Obama and @sr_simone of “Nuns on the Bus” discussed #ImmigrationReform

MoooOOOooorning!

113 Responses to “Rise and Shine”

1. 10 Vicki
    May 30, 2014 at 10:05 am

Good morning Chips & Co.

2. 12 Ladyhawke
    May 30, 2014 at 10:12 am

Republicans Block Help for Veterans

3. 13 proudmemberofglobalzero
    May 30, 2014 at 10:16 am

Good Morning all. I just wanted to say that I have become a perpetual lurker, not so much a poster. I did call my one “sane” senator Bill Nelson this morning. I did tell him to stop following the GOP like he did in 2001 and vote for war. We that canvassed, call banked, registered voters, took people to get their ID’s, and work at the polls on election day…need strong Democrats to stand with our President. and Secretary Shinseki.

4. 14 japa21
    May 30, 2014 at 10:16 am

Definitely worth reading

5. 24 Nena20409
    May 30, 2014 at 10:21 am

Pictorial Journey Is deliciously done. Thanks Chips.
    Morning TOD.
    Congrats G <3 B for your GOLD!
    Sunny, Hot and Humid in my parts of the World.
    R&S is excellent.

• May 30, 2014 at 10:26 am

Thanks a million Kay!

• 29 Dudette
      May 30, 2014 at 10:39 am

Asked about his relationship with Secretary Clinton and her potential run in 2016, the President said “… I’ve been blessed to have some people around me like (Hillary Clinton), and Vice President Biden and my Chief of Staff who are just great, hard-working effective people and I love them to death.”

Here’s a fun experiment. Let’s see how long it takes the media to take this leap >>> Did President Obama just inadvertently leak that White House CoS Denis McDonough might be considering a run for President in 2016? :-D

May 30, 2014 at 11:03 am

I’m as dumb as the media, because – I swear – that’s where my head went for a millisecond. Ha!

Seems I’ve risen but so far I’m just glowing a bit, not shining!

Mornin’.

• 32 Nena20409
      May 30, 2014 at 10:46 am

Thanks for the video. That was quick on the Youtube already.

• 33 Dudette
      May 30, 2014 at 10:58 am

Nice interview. I like this cute exchange that starts around 7:15:

Michael: I want to switch gears a little bit, because we know that Sasha’s becoming a teenager…

PBO: Sasha, next week, will be 13

Michael: Do you get more white hair from what you do here as the President or dealing with teenage daughters

PBO: Well the truth is, first of all, on the grey hair tip, my grandfather on my mother’s side was grey by the time he was 30. So even if I hadn’t been President…

Michael: Oh, you beat the odds…

PBO: I’m not sure…

Kelly: You’re doing well though…

[Laughter]

PBO: That’s my point. I think probably this job excelerated it maybe six months, but I was going… now is the time. If I wanted to avoid this, I would’ve had to start dying it a while back.

Michael: Have you ever considered dying it?

PBO: I have not…

Michael: C’mon, it’s just us, nobody’s gonna watch…

PBO: No, I’m being honest with you. I’ve seen Michelle in the hair salon. It’s just too much work.

[Laughter]

———

At 9:20, the President mentions Malia had her first prom, but keeps mum on whether she went with a boy. He’s such a cute, proud Dad. Listen to the whole thing. You’ll enjoy it.

• 34 99ts
      May 30, 2014 at 11:14 am

Amazing interview – GWB should watch it – learn what he should have been doing while in the White House.

6. 35 Nena20409
    May 30, 2014 at 10:25 am

I only One or Two Vet Groups are asking for Gen Shinseki to step down…..the people that actually are the most invested in this……why are the Media scream and the politicians politicking?

Oh yeah, I get it……pretentious Peacocks must showcase their unnatural colors?

7. 36 japa21
    May 30, 2014 at 10:25 am

Twitter is interesting. For some reason a couple tweets I originally sent out on May 21 are getting a lot of retweets today.

8. 37 anniebella
    May 30, 2014 at 10:26 am

As I keep saying Phoenix Arizona, where were John McCain? He represent Arizona and have for along time, what the hell was he doing for the veterans? Now he is out there crowing the loudest about being upset about what has been going on in the VA, but it’s been going on for a long time John McCain.

May 30, 2014 at 10:38 am

POTUS answer about FLOTUS running for office was funny. I think we can rule out the fact that FLOTUS would run for any political office.

9. 39 Nena20409
    May 30, 2014 at 10:26 am

Lovely to read from Jovie and to see his puppy.
    Welcome Back, Sir ;)

10. 40 Dudette
    May 30, 2014 at 10:30 am

Good Morning Family!

11. 43 mtmarilyn
    May 30, 2014 at 10:35 am

Happy Friday all! It is a beautiful Montana morning. My lilacs are in full bloom and the smell is heavenly. What a great R&S. Thanks for the pictures of the Great Falls event. I can’t remember if it was the day before or the day after he was here in Missoula, which I attended. It was wonderful. We were all so impressed by how well organized it all was. The next week Hillary came and I attended it. It was very unorganized. That really sealed the deal for me.

12. 44 Ladyhawke
    May 30, 2014 at 10:46 am

Senate to get a second chance to do right by veterans

13. 45 57andfemale
    May 30, 2014 at 10:46 am

Am I the only one annoyed that the NPR interviewer wants PBO to sum up his foreign policy in one sentence?

• 46 japa21
      May 30, 2014 at 10:52 am

I am not. He gave PBO the perfect opportunity to say that the world is too complex to sum it up that way. People need to realize that.

• 47 57andfemale
        May 30, 2014 at 11:11 am

I loved the answer. I also love watching PBO turn what angers us into an opportunity to tell Truth. I just found it sophomoric, but your point is well taken.

14. 48 Nerdy Wonka
    May 30, 2014 at 10:52 am

Great stuff, Chiparooo!

Especially enjoyed the articles and interview on President Obama’s foreign policy approach.

15. 49 Nerdy Wonka
    May 30, 2014 at 10:52 am
    • 50 99ts
      May 30, 2014 at 10:58 am

It’s not just on foreign policy – the current gop b.s. on the va – demanding the President do this that something else – PBO examines the situation – talks with the people involved and sorts out solutions. If the people in congress worked in this fashion – what a great place it would be!

I am very disappointed in a couple of the dem senators who were demanding someone be fired – they should know better. It won’t win them any votes – which is the only reason they are doing it. Supporting PBO will win them votes – why are they never willing to admit this?

16. 53 Vicki
    May 30, 2014 at 10:58 am

Thank you CollegeKay for the Kelly and Michael with PBO interview.

For me the signature moment was when POTUS explained how the thing he worried most about was that his levelheaded decent daughters would be poisoned by the offspring of the entitled, privileged children they are going to school with. Tells you all you need to know about how our President really feels about the likes of David Gregory.

May 30, 2014 at 10:59 am

Great articles, bt.

18. May 30, 2014 at 11:01 am
  19. May 30, 2014 at 11:04 am

The kid’s reaction (on the right) at 20 seconds is tooooo funny:

20. 69 dotster3
    May 30, 2014 at 11:05 am

Loved the PBO interview with Kelly and Michael. Love that President Obama—-always so appealing.
    I will be really disappointed if Shinseki succumbs to idiotic political pressure and resigns. Not the problem, not the solution.
    And can anyone help dense me——I have stared at that Williams/Snowden tweet for hours (not really but….) and do not get the MLK/Brando reference. Help! I’m tired of feeling dumb.

21. May 30, 2014 at 11:06 am

Sec. Shinseki has just left the White House.

22. 71 dotster3
    May 30, 2014 at 11:06 am

Announced that PBO will be at the briefing at 11:15—–after his mtg. with Shinseki—-hoping it’s not about his resignation.

23. May 30, 2014 at 11:14 am

Free Market’ Republicans Give the Koch Brothers and ALEC a Monopoly Over Ohio’s Energy
    By: Rmuse

Friday, May, 30th, 2014, 10:14 am

Monopolies exist when a specific person or enterprise is the only supplier of a particular commodity, and are thus characterized by a lack of economic competition to produce the commodity coupled with a lack of a viable substitute. The most terrifying thing on Earth to a person or enterprise controlling the only supply of a commodity is when a viable substitute is discovered that forces the enterprise into economic competition that, in part, is the nature of free market capitalism. Republicans and their conservative donors are staunch defenders of free market capitalism; that is until they see a viable competitor. It explains their drive to restrict Democratic voters during elections, and new energy sources that threaten the dirty energy industry’s monopoly on supplying power.

………………………….

The manufacturers’ association was not exaggerating because since Ohio adopted the RES, nearly unanimously in 2008, Ohio’s clean energy sector created over 25,000 jobs, over $1 billion in private sector investment, and cut electricity rates by 1.4% (over $230 million in savings). However, that was before the Kochs bought the Ohio legislature and installed an ALEC alumnus in the governor’s office.

Sadly, Ohio is just the first, but certainly not the last, state the Koch brothers, ALEC, Americans for Prosperity, and the Heartland Institute are working to prohibit access to the wind and Sun’s power source. According to the New York Times, in just the past year more than a dozen states have embraced ALEC proposals to eliminate green and renewable energy mandates and incentives due to intervention from “libertarian policy and advocacy groups.” It is noteworthy that libertarians and their staunch devotion to letting “free market capitalism” drive the economy does not apply if it cuts into the libertarian Koch brothers’ monopoly on energy and profits.

24. May 30, 2014 at 11:15 am

11:15 EDT: President Obama Makes a Statement

25. 76 dotster3
    May 30, 2014 at 11:18 am

Sorry but ugh. A shame.

26. 77 57andfemale
    May 30, 2014 at 11:18 am

Shinseki has resigned. Sigh.

27. 78 99ts
    May 30, 2014 at 11:18 am

GOP gets a scalp – a.holes

• 79 CarolynfromDetroit
      May 30, 2014 at 11:49 am

Don’t they always? This is disgusting!! They do the dirt and blame the dems or POTUS. I’m surprised that the President has a cabinet at all because every single time something happens, the gop asks for a resignation — Rice, Holder, Sebelius, Shinseki. If you notice, the repub never call for any of their own to resign (not publicly anyway) no matter what they do. Not a peep from the dems unless it’s their own. If the repubs did what the dems do, we wouldn’t have all this grdilock. I’m going to vote for the dems in 2014 but I refuse to send them a dime…only OFA. Why did the whistleblower wait until he resigned to say something? He worked under these circumstances and didn’t have the courage to say anything. I think it’s only been one time that the dems stuck together. There seems to be one going along with the repub mess every time. They get on my last nerve!

28. 80 Dudette
    May 30, 2014 at 11:18 am

Awww… damn. Sec Shinseki resigned, the President said he accepted it. :-(

29. May 30, 2014 at 11:19 am

Shit, Sec Shinseki has resigned

30. 82 Dudette
    May 30, 2014 at 11:20 am

PBO says Deputy VA Sec, Sloan Gibson will become Acting VA Secretary

May 30, 2014 at 11:22 am

Whatever…

32. 84 99ts
    May 30, 2014 at 11:24 am

I got to the WH before PBO arrived – I spat coffee on the keyboard looking at the gaggle of horribles – I was so pleased when the President came in & told them to shut up & sit down – worse than schoolchildren – true derps.

33. 85 japa21
    May 30, 2014 at 11:28 am

We will never know if Shinseki resigned or if he was basically given no choice. I know that, just like with Sibelius, the talking heads will say PBO forced him to resign.

I wish he had been given the opportunity to do with this problem what he had done with so many others. He had done an amazing job in so many areas.

• 86 99ts
      May 30, 2014 at 11:32 am

I believe PBO – Shinseki resigned – he just didn’t want the VA to be continually attacked by they media and the GOP because he was there. The GOP will flog a dead horse forever – that is what Shineski knows.

• 87 japa21
        May 30, 2014 at 11:40 am

My belief also is that he resigned. Which just goes to show just how honorable a man he is. I hope PBO finds another slot for him in his adminstration that doesn’t require Congressional approval, if Shinseki would be willing to accept something.

• 88 99ts
          May 30, 2014 at 11:43 am

Some folks put their country and their CIC ahead of themselves japa. He can walk away with his head held high and will be well remembered – unlike those who would attack him.

34. 89 dotster3
    May 30, 2014 at 11:28 am

I am sad about this decision—-I understand it, I guess—–to shut down the racket—- but it was a political media/GOP forced decision and nothing to do with a real solution to the problems in the VA. I think it’s a real shame.

35. 93 Dudette
    May 30, 2014 at 11:30 am
  36. 94 No Child Left Behind
    May 30, 2014 at 11:31 am

Good Morning TODVille,

I am sorry for the VA Chief but know that this news will bring back focus to solving the systematic problems at the VA hospitals and clinics and no longer on POTUS’s inability to either manage huge programs or fire people not performing.

But I did like Shinseki. Now twice he has been pushed out from two administrations, erroneously under Bush and by the wrongdoings of others under his party’s administration.

• 95 Dudette
      May 30, 2014 at 11:36 am

I’m with you NCLB. I like him too. He’s been a terrific public servant.
      He’s gotten a raw deal on this. I understand it, but I don’t like it one bit.

37. 96 99ts
    May 30, 2014 at 11:34 am

Here we go – the media is now going to say he should not have resigned – should not have been fired – after SCREAMING for the resignation. It doesn’t matter what PBO does the WHPC will scream for the opposite.

38. May 30, 2014 at 11:38 am
    May 30, 2014 at 11:40 am

Yet another proof murka doesn’t deserve smart, capable and compassionate leaders.

• 105 Dudette
      May 30, 2014 at 11:42 am

Ain’t that the truth!

• 106 japa21
      May 30, 2014 at 11:42 am

There are times I believe that we are a truly masochistic society, self inflicting pain on ourselves either through electing people who don’t deserve to be anywhere near the reins of government or tearing down the good ones that are there.

40. 109 Dudette
    May 30, 2014 at 11:43 am

Yep

• 110 COS
      May 30, 2014 at 11:46 am

I am so sad about this resignation. Republicans have made a mockery of this situation by fundraising and all of the he other despicable things they do, including running ads against opponents. Pundits have been despicable.

41. 111 japa21
    May 30, 2014 at 11:44 am

Granted I follow people who tend to think the way I do (as most of us do) but a lot of those I follow disagree with me on certain specifics,. All I am seeing are tweets very supportive of Shinseki and upset with his resignation. Not one applauding it yet.

42. May 30, 2014 at 11:50 am

Someone mentioned this the other day.

43. May 30, 2014 at 12:03 pm

Damn MSM and GOP. . . They have no guts, no glory. . .