Jun

Rise and Shine: The Week at TOD

@petesouza: A WW2 veteran greets President Obama with a kiss at Normandy

See all the week’s White House videos here

Sunday

Early Bird Chat * Rise and Shine: The Week Ahead  * A Tweet or Two

Ukraine Crisis in Tweets * Bergdahl in Tweets * Night Owl Chat – The Incredible Bill Evans

Monday

Early Bird Chat * Rise and Shine * Act on Climate

Elections Matter * Chat Away * Pure Magic * Chat On

Tuesday

Poland: Press Conference * Rise and Shine * Hello, Poland! …. Or, Cześć Polska!

Cheers!….Or, Na Zdrowie! * Videos: The President in Poland * Chat Away

Night Owl Chat: Man Works Out in Polish Gym * Wednesday in Poland and Belgium

Wednesday

Early Bird Chat * Rise and Shine * Bowe Bergdahl and the Politics of Shamelessness

Agendas * GOP Bergdahl attack is about Erasing Obama’s National Security Creds

Chat Away * First Lady Announces Mayors Challenge to End Veteran Homelessness

Night Owl Chat – The Four Seasons

Thursday

Early Bird Chat * Rise and Shine * President Obama At The G7 Summit

44: Winning Every Day * “Dispatches: Europe”

“We Do Not Leave Anybody Wearing the American Uniform Behind” * Night Owl Chat – Neil Young

Friday

Normandy * Live Streaming from France * Rise and Shine

The Cheer Heard Around The World * The Day in Normandy: Another Image or Two * A Tweet or Two

* Love. Respect. Admiration. * Night Owl Chat: The Longest Day * Welcome Home Mr President

Saturday

Early Bird Chat * Dr Maya Angelou: Memorial Service * Dr Maya Angelou: Memorial Service, Part 2 * First Lady at Dr Maya Angelou Memorial Service * The Warmest of Tributes * Pete Souza: D-Day Photos * The Week Ahead *

99 Responses to “Rise and Shine: The Week at TOD”

1. 9 Dudette

Congrats.

Good Sunday To All

4. 24 Dudette
    June 8, 2014 at 10:08 am
  5. 27 Nena20409
    June 8, 2014 at 10:09 am

Having this Past Week’s Awesome Posts in one Page is the Ultimate Joy !

Just Superb. Bookmarked already.

6. 29 Bill R.
    June 8, 2014 at 10:10 am

I’m hoping the Dem politicos hammer on the story about the 500K impeachment signs found at the RNC: http://t.co/TCwiZo9hXZ

• 30 Nena20409
      June 8, 2014 at 10:19 am

If ONLY DNC has a feisty active Chair persons……all Five of them could try to be as LOUD and Obnoxious as those on the right Using Raw Facts in their midst to inform the Lazy, Lame and Pretentious MSM while Educating the uninformed…….. A Total Win, Win, Win!

• 31 Paulita
      June 8, 2014 at 10:23 am

Morning Bill. I could be wrong, but I believe that article is meant to be satirical.

June 8, 2014 at 10:15 am

/Heavy sigh/ Left in the dust by Chips, or rather deliberately delayed by her on the previous thread! I can’t believe I fell for that very simple, overused trick. [O my gawd, I just noticed that *she* was *first* – my embarrassment at being thus sidetracked knows no limit! Folks I’m retiring to go find some sackcloth and ashes (whatever sackcloth is, I’ll hunt some down). :oops: :oops:

8. June 8, 2014 at 10:16 am

Good Morning, Everyone :)

TOD did a wonderful job yesterday covering the Homegoing of Dr. Maya Angelou.

Much thanks.

9. 40 africa
    June 8, 2014 at 10:21 am

I vote first picture as picture of the year.

• June 8, 2014 at 10:24 am

Absolutely love it too Africa, and this one:

June 8, 2014 at 10:47 am

That’s a great idea, Africa and Chips Chica! The year is progressing at such a clip, we could easily start a “Picture of the Year” file, gathering, o say, two pictures per month in the file. Then come December we could have a vote or a ‘raffle’ or whatever for the TOD pic of the year. What sayest thou? [This time I'm suggesting it to you, CC, because you manipulate pics so easily and probably already access so many that I'm GUESSING this mightn't add uncomfortably to your TOD load.]

• June 8, 2014 at 10:54 am

I had a think about doing something like this before VC, but the problem is there are SO many gems of photos I wouldn’t know where to start!

June 8, 2014 at 11:08 am

Start with today’s two under a June heading. Then pop in one or two as they occur to you (without consultation in the village) each month. [For sure everyone will have an opinion, but that COULD be part of our end-of-month fun going forward.] Also, too, being as opinionated as most of us are, you already know there won’t necessarily be consensus, but who cares? For example, wouldn’t surprise me in the least if *someone*, not you of course, tries to include wet BHO as a ‘best’ 2014 picture.

• June 8, 2014 at 11:09 am

:-) The wet pic is timeless, VC, so it has to be included every month, every year. Thanks for the suggestion, I’ll see if I can organize myself. Hush.

June 8, 2014 at 11:17 am

‘The wet pic is timeless’ …None of that reasoning, you cheater.

Hushing re u-kno-what! :) :)

Also suggesting that *I*may not have the range of pictures you do, but this might be something I could help with if you were to highlight the ones you favour monthly then wink in my direction. For example, I just placed the two mentioned today under a June banner, as a form of personal experimenting. They’re still there – :grin: :grin: – I feel quite accomplished. ;)

• June 8, 2014 at 11:23 am

Right then, we can have a ‘Photo of the Month’ post at the end of each month … if I’ve been organized enough to compile them (which is probably unlikely). So your assistance would be gratefully received!

June 8, 2014 at 11:29 am

I’ll look forward to this! :)

Don’t worry about organization, just drop a few in and let the ‘natives’ run off their mouths vote and I’ll save the most favoured in my new file. June’s done already with the two chosen today, but we could back up and do the month of May, April, etc. on days when we don’t have a lot to post (Yea, I know; when do we ever have such days in this village with PBO being such a workaholic! Time will show.) ;) ;)

10. 49 CEB
    June 8, 2014 at 10:26 am

Good morning TOD ohana from all parts of the world:
    Thanks to Chips and NW for being our tour guides on PBO’s European trip last week.
    Thanks for bringing Dr. Angelou’s Homecoming service here for all of us to share.
    Looking forward to visiting Indian Country with PBO and FLOTUS.
    Have a beautiful Sunday (glad PBO is playing golf today) and a great week ahead everyone.

11. 51 Paulita
    June 8, 2014 at 10:38 am

Melissa H. Perry has lost her damn mind! I am so done with her – I knew there was a reason I quit watching her show.

• 52 Linda
      June 8, 2014 at 10:41 am

What did the pompous know-it-all say now ?

• 53 Paulita
        June 8, 2014 at 11:10 am

Sorry, I had to click away and calm myself. She was waxing sarcastically about the 2008 campaign, and as if to say look how fresh and naive we were back then, and now the polls show how cynical and jaded we’ve become… her braids are too tight.

• June 8, 2014 at 11:53 am

Well…I have stopped watching a lot of these programs including hers…it is very unfortunate because there is a need for there to be a perspective from a woman of color…but I cannot tolerate the statements that she makes…sigh…and i do not have the inclination to show her the error of her ways…I often wonder who these folks are talking too…MHP has a column in Essence Magazine that is very worthwhile to read…but much of the stuff that comes out of her mouth on her weekend program…is negative and very destructive towards the President..

12. 55 carolyn
    June 8, 2014 at 10:44 am

Good morning everyone. We are having more beautiful rain today. This is about the fourth day in a row we’ve had rain. We’re not out of the drought yet…..it will take about twelve more inches of rain…..but, this rain has been a big help. My flowers, shrubs and trees are very happy.

So glad POTUS is playing golf today. If ever a man deserved a day to relax, he is the man, after last week, and before this coming week! Of course, we know he never just “plays golf”…..something big always happens after these golf days.

We have just been bursting with pride of our president this past week, as we do every week. Hearing that huge applause and roar of approval as he arrived at the ceremony, did my heart a world of good, and I hope gave him some peace and consolation.

13. 56 Nerdy Wonka
    June 8, 2014 at 10:45 am
    • 57 Nena20409
      June 8, 2014 at 11:01 am

This guy uses his talent to speak the Truth. Is it any wonder that today he is one of a handful Comedians that fills arenas? I saw him once when I used to watch Mourning Joke and he used his wit to decimate Mika. From that day, I said to myself, why is it that I have not given him a chance? I did a 180.

14. June 8, 2014 at 10:48 am

What Happened After Fla. Teen Was Charged With 2 Felonies for a Science Experiment

Kiera Wilmot, now 17, is trying to move on as she preps for college after graduating from high school, but one thing still hangs over her: an arrest record

excerpt:
    With tensions still high on her return to Bartow High after a 10-day suspension, it was recommended at that point that she not finish the remainder of her junior year, even though there were only five weeks left. To be sure that she could keep up academically, she was sent to an alternative school with children who had discipline problems for the remainder of the school year. She would be allowed to return to Bartow High, and attend classes with her sister again, for her senior year.

Her sister, Kayla, told The Root how lonely it was at Bartow High without Kiera and how harsh people were after the incident. The girls were often mistaken for each other, so Kayla was called a terrorist (something Kiera also had to deal with). Sometimes, even knowing that Kayla was not Kiera, peers would still taunt the older twin, saying that they “deserved what they got” and “should be in jail.”

“They made me not want to go to school at that time. Everything was going on; it was just way too much stress,” Kiera said about her eventual return to Bartow High. “Some people are still a little mean about it. Some have forgotten about it. I’m hoping everybody forgets about it.”

That’s not the only impact the incident has had on her. During her suspension, the A and B student saw her grades drop to D’s and F’s. Although she managed to bring them back up to par at the alternative school, she was still denied the right to graduate with honors like her sister because of the circumstances: her troubles at the school, the drop in her grades one semester, and the fact that she broke her attendance at the school to attend the alternative school.

June 8, 2014 at 1:51 pm

IMO, the fact that she broke her attendance at the school to attend the alternative school, led directly to the temporary drop in her grades. The official reaction in not granting her the right to graduate with honours is wrong IMO, since the way they consequenced was excessive. On the one hand educators/officials say they want youth to succeed, on the other several seem to deliberately place impediments in their way. As PBO once said, those who have a more forgiving atmosphere fare better (my rewrite of him saying he was successful because his environment was more forgiving.)

15. 60 Vicki
    June 8, 2014 at 10:53 am

Better framing then Income Inequality is Fairness.
    Fainrness is clearly understood and more difficult to distort.
    If you say income inequality, the RW easily distorts it to socialism or communism
    If you say Fairness—-everyone—-age 4 and up—-gets what you are saying and in some decent part of them has to agree.

The 2014 elections are drawing closer every day. I am hoping for a Frank Luntz of The Left to emerge and bring victory home to us in November.

16. June 8, 2014 at 10:54 am

How VA Outsourcing Hurts Veterans

By Phillip Longman

On Thursday, Sen. Bernie Sanders, chairman of the Senate Veterans Affairs Committee, announced that he had reached a compromise with John McCain and other Senate Republicans on how to fix whatever it is that needs fixing at the VA. The legislation contains some good ideas, like providing for the hiring of more doctors and nurses where they are needed. But the bill also contains one provision that is a significant concession to Republican enemies of government. If enacted, it would lower the quality of health care received by veterans while setting back the movement for health care delivery system reform generally.

This is the provision in the draft legislation that would, according to a Senate Veterans Committee press release, “allow veterans living more than 40 miles from a VA hospital or clinic to access more convenient private care.” Given all the headlines about excessive wait times and backlogs at the VA, that might sound smart at first hearing, but in practice it could well lead to a disaster.

To begin with, as most people in this debate don’t seem to know or care to remember, the VA already engages in extensive outsourcing of medical services. For example, under the Bush Administration, the VA began contracting with Humana to provide care to veterans in rural areas, a program that continues under the Access Received Closer to Home project. In 2009, the Senate Veterans Affairs committee determined that the VA was already outsourcing some $3 billion year to private providers.

By 2012, the Obama administration had continued the trend to the point that the public employee unions that represent VA employees were screaming. “Contract physicians and nurses lack the specialized skills and best practices of clinicians who dedicate their lives to serving the veteran population as VA employees,” complained Alma Lee, National VA Council President for the American Federation of Government Employees. “Excessive contracting out has put many medical centers in the red, without benefitting the patient.”

17. 63 JER
    June 8, 2014 at 10:59 am
    • 64 HZ
      June 8, 2014 at 11:49 am

This is so lovely to watch. He seems so relaxed and comfortable around the beauty that he is beholding. Thank you sir. You are helping to make beauty around ‘The Peoples House’ and the home of the Best President Ever!!! A beautiful day that had to be out among the beauty of the earth.HZ

18. June 8, 2014 at 11:01 am

James Clyburn Warns of Those Who Are Turning Back the Clock on Racial Progress

In a Q&A with The Root the congressional leader shares stories from his memoir, Blessed Experiences: Genuinely Southern, Proudly Black.

There is victory in perseverance. It is the fable about the tortoise’s slow pace being just the pace he needs. It is the religious doctrine that heralds, what comes doesn’t always come when you want it but when you need it. James Clyburn knows this well, having been a child in school during the slow churn of the segregated South, during Brown v. Board of Education, right up to the four attempts it took him, at age 52, to land in Congress.

With an extraordinary capacity for vivid recall, this son of South Carolina lays out his path to political leadership in his memoir, Blessed Experiences: Genuinely Southern, Proudly Black, taking readers behind the scenes of some memorable events.

19. 66 GGAIL
    June 8, 2014 at 11:02 am

Good West Coast morning Chipsticks & TOD family.

Wonderful compilation, thank you Chips!

20. June 8, 2014 at 11:04 am
  21. 75 Nena20409
    June 8, 2014 at 11:10 am

US spends many times building our Military might……..2nd to None.

Yet the Media and the GOP pretentiously flame the LIE that 5 Taliban members in their 40s are going to do what exactly? Color me Stupid, but where is the LOGIC in their useless diatribe?

US is in Afghanistan and has been since 2001. Has Any raid by these Taliban ever decimated a base where US soldiers are residing? Nope. US has protected Karzai for years. Many attempts on his life, yet the US has kept him alive.

So either these Blame America First are jokes or they are Lying and I say BOTH.

• 76 99ts
      June 8, 2014 at 11:27 am

There is no logic, nor sanity. Sec Kerry should not waste his time explaining reality – those who want to believe the b.s. will never change. The only thing to say – PBO has said – we leave no service man or woman behind. End of story.

• June 8, 2014 at 11:57 am

Whenever I read or hear these accusations that we should be afraid …I am reminded the of the video of Michelle Obama…talking about politicians using fear to control folks.
      Michelle Obama…Do not Be afraid!

• June 8, 2014 at 12:13 pm

I get the feeling after 12 years in confinement and another year in Qatar the only thing those 5 are going to want is to pick up the pieces and go on with their lives.

22. June 8, 2014 at 11:13 am

Good Sunday morning, TODers!

I’m so sick of people badmouthing PBO’s WH!!

23. 80 Nena20409
    June 8, 2014 at 11:14 am

On Friday it rained so hard that My DirecTV record unwatachable TRMS.

This is a worthy view of Dr Maddow at her near best.

Maddow noted that on Wednesday, Senator John McCain (R-AZ) left a private Senate briefing on Bergdahl early to hold a press conference demanding more information. “I learned nothing in this briefing,” he told reporters.

“The one he left in the middle of,” Maddow mocked on Friday. She noted that this isn’t the first time the former GOP presidential nominee skipped a briefing to make public appearances. In November 2012, he ditched a Benghazi briefing to hold a presser demanding more information on the Benghazi attacks. When challenged by CNN, the senator aggressively defended his right to hold conference.

“It is so much more fun to demand information than to actually receive it,” Maddow said on her show. “Receiving it is boring and it takes forever and it’s totally not like just going on Fox News and complaining.”

24. 81 Nena20409
    June 8, 2014 at 11:26 am

Per GOOGLE Nadal is still holding OK
    3-6, 7-5, 3-1

My legs are crossed and now my left fingers are crossed for the super, super superstitious Rafa.
    Go Rafa, Go Go!

• 83 Nena20409
        June 8, 2014 at 11:41 am

Thanks sweet, sweet Chips……but I can’t listen either…..

My Nerves are so on a shakey ground….I have had 3 large cups of coffee. My well being can only in small doses…. tolerate GOOGLE Live check peeks.

• June 8, 2014 at 11:43 am

Are you a HUGE Rafa fan Nena?

• 85 Nena20409
            June 8, 2014 at 11:51 am

‘Am I A Huge Fan?

Is Chips a Manchester United Fan…..You bet Lady Chips since I saw him play 10 yrs ago. Love the 28 yrs old like a nephew. His Humility got to my heart and has been there ever since….. <3 his shyness and his respect for his mom and little sister. Yes, indeed.

Did I make my case as convincing as any loyal Rafa Fan can? OK I am a tad obsessive……I confess ;)

• June 8, 2014 at 11:53 am

I am convinced, Nena!! :-) And not a bad sporty person to obsess over. Love him too, thrilling to watch, and so beautifully humble. He’s amazing.

25. June 8, 2014 at 11:38 am

Love this: a photo from a Gaelic football game in Ireland today when a fight broke out between the teams ……. before the match started!

• 88 Nena20409
      June 8, 2014 at 11:45 am

One has Got to LOVE the Passion that is FOOTBALL :) No Logic to the pure hysteria…..No Logic in thinking……If injured one can’t help a team win…….Love their passion. ;)

Thursday the World Cup Begins……Yes!

26. June 8, 2014 at 11:58 am
  27. 91 lockewasright
    June 8, 2014 at 12:00 pm

Where did I put that Advil? I almost never drink, but now that moonshine is hitting retail shelves all legal-like, we got curious. Ugh!

28. 93 HZ
    June 8, 2014 at 12:06 pm

Beautiful Sunday to my Chips and TOD family. Out to purchase a lovely Tea Rose in loving memory of Dr. Maya Angelou. I did one for my mother ten years ago, and that rose tree has Never stop giving me roses ever, no matter what the weather is for that day. That is something to behold, believe me. That is truly Phenomenal! Of course, my precious mother was something to behold as well. The Best. Another ‘Phenomenal Woman’.HZ

29. 95 Nena20409
    June 8, 2014 at 12:09 pm

GOOGLE says it’s still OK for Rafa. My fingers are shaking really bad and all the effects of coffee consumption is not helping at all

3-6, 7-5, 6-2, and 1-0

Go Rafa. The Game is DVR’d. Go Nadal, Go Rafa!

• June 8, 2014 at 12:10 pm

He’s flying Nena! Didn’t look too good after that first set, but he’s been AWESOME since!

• 97 Nena20409
        June 8, 2014 at 12:26 pm

Oh Thank you sweet Lady Chips……My nerves are doing things impossible to explain, more like they are in over-drive. I hope he closes on the fourth set. I hope he does with every fiber of my body. Thanks for the heads up…..When I watch, I will fast FWD the 1st set. Thanks Chips.

30. 98 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    June 8, 2014 at 12:38 pm

I HOPE EVERYONE HAS A BEAUTIFUL SUNDAY….SUCH A WONDERFUL TIME AT CHURCH…GOING TO GET IN SOME EXERCISE 2DAY!!!!!….MAY THE GOOD LORD BLESS YOUR SUNDAY.

31. June 8, 2014 at 3:17 pm

Just catching up after my sleep. Have to comment even though everyone has moved on. Lovely rise and shine. Great memories of this past week. Thanks again Chips for your energy and efforts to bring this lovely couple and their immense work to an adoring public.