Jun

America? Do Better

A church, temple, school, mosque, mall, campus, grocery store, home-goods store, theater, etc. People are becoming terrified to walk the streets of America.

Every day, there is a shooting that claims lives and leaves families devastated and destroyed. EVERYDAY. This is an epidemic.

Hopefully, we reach a point very soon, where we – the collective society – say, no more dead children, no more dead parents, no more dead uncles, aunts, nephews, nieces, cousins, classmates, grandparents.

Enough is enough.

50 Responses to “America? Do Better”

1. June 10, 2014 at 2:21 pm

These are incredibly powerful and moving Nerdy, endless thanks for compiling them, you’re a gem.

• 6 Nerdy Wonka
      June 10, 2014 at 2:31 pm

Thanks, Chips.

It was so heartbreaking compiling them. Everyday there is a shooting. Everyday. It’s horrible that when there is one day in the week without a horrible shooting, we breathe a frightened breath of relief. That shouldn’t be normal.

It’s not a red state blue state divide. This occurs everywhere in America.

2. June 10, 2014 at 2:21 pm

‘Tis becoming a burden, I’ll share the gold. . . .

3. 10 Nerdy Wonka
    June 10, 2014 at 2:24 pm
  4. 11 Nena20409
    June 10, 2014 at 2:31 pm

There needs to be a Clock Counter with the numbers killed and wounded just like the deficit counter clock. Perhaps, the former Mayor of New York can have such vivid Billboard mounted up in NYC by the Media Capital of the world. This will force the Media at least to report it instead of just one mention and off to distractions.

5. June 10, 2014 at 2:32 pm
  6. 14 Nena20409
    June 10, 2014 at 2:33 pm

Profound and Excellent Tweets.

Thanks NW.

7. 15 japa21
    June 10, 2014 at 2:37 pm

I must believe America is better than this and will move forward. If I don’t the despair would paralyze me.

I made a comment at BJ that the end result of all these school shootings is that parents will all resort to home schooling in an effort to keep their children safe. This will result in a general dumbing down of American. The GOP has wanted that goal for a while. (Not saying they are behind the shootings.)

I was originally going to say the GOP “has been shooting for that goal” but that phrase, once so innocuous, has taken a new and deadly meaning.

8. June 10, 2014 at 2:43 pm

Great collection, Nerdy. I was going to follow up my piece with a similar tweet collection, but I was pretty sure it would just break my heart.

9. 20 Layla
    June 10, 2014 at 2:51 pm

New organization: CRTL, Citizen Right To Live

June 10, 2014 at 2:59 pm

Thank you for this huge effort, NW. Really appreciated. Off to clear my mind of tragedies for a while, and try to concentrate on some of the beauty in my life – just to save what’s left of my sanity!

11. 22 Nerdy Wonka
    June 10, 2014 at 2:59 pm

The Washington post is truly scraping the bottom of the barrel with their mansplaining of rape. To blame women for getting raped and having their world destroyed but pat the scumbag who raped them on the head, is beyond the pale.

(You can click on the pictures to see the full descriptions.

12. 23 Nena20409
    June 10, 2014 at 3:03 pm

Since 1912? That is the same year that AZ became the 47th state. AK and HI were not even states then. Instead, US has gone totally out of this world with gun violence and over 1.200, 000 dead and double that many wounded.

What exactly is exceptional about that?

We entered WWII when HI was bombed by Japan with over 1,000 killed. We went to Afghanistan with over 2,700 killed. We found ourselves in Iraq for GW Bush wished Saddam Hussein Gone.

Over 1M killed by our very Own internally, We are Paralyzed to act. Who Loves YOU, America?

13. 24 sherijr
    June 10, 2014 at 3:06 pm

Thank you LL & Nerdy for your meaningful, sad essay.. and for all these tweets. 74. It boggles my mind. If it were up to ME- the guns would all be confiscated and melted down.. in every corner of America.. zero/zip/nada guns. I WOULD be the person the kooks accuse POTUS of being. In lieu of that (me in charge).. all we can do, is VOTE and get majority dems into office and then demand they strengthen the laws… and Never stop making noise about this tragedy.

Now for some happy/ fun … I told you all about my son and his impending baby with the two moms of my granddaughter… I just received this wonderful ‘invite':

Tonka Trucks or Easy Bake Ovens?
    Almond Joys or Mounds?
    THAT IS THE QUESTION!

Saturday, July 5, 2014 • 3pm

Hosted by Anesia, Brittany, and Josh •

Message from the Host

Hello Everyone,

We’ve decided to have a GENDER REVEAL party! Because this is such an exciting time for all of us and we’re all dying to know…. Are we having a Boy or a Girl?

Come find out!!!

Let’s have this close family gathering POTLUCK Style!

To make this fun, we ask that you bring/make something you’ve never made before!

That’s right, Chelly NO Mac n’ Cheese and Natalie NO Greens this time around!

Please include what you’ll be making/bringing in this evite to avoid duplicate items.

PLEASE RESPOND ASAP IF YOU’LL BE ATTENDING (we need this info to incorporate you in the big REVEAL)

On behalf of the #UNIT we want to thank each and every one of you for being so loving and supportive of our efforts to build our real life #modernfamily

• 25 japa21
      June 10, 2014 at 3:20 pm

My son and his wife hadf one of those last fall. Even they did not know. Well, almost. They had an unltrasound done and were told it did reveal the gender. They asked not to be told but had the doctor write what it was on a piece of paper and put it in an envelope. The plan was to take the envelope to the bakery and the bakery was to make the cake blue if it was a boy and pink if a girl but not let son and D-I-L know. That way, everybody would find out at the same time when they cut the cake.

Well, the party happened, the cake was cut and that’s how we found out we were havuing a new grandson. I have to say, considering what we found out later, my son and D-I-L should go into acting.

It turned out that the Wednesday before the party, the bakery called the house and spoke with my D-I-L to check on something. He started out by saying, “I see you are going to have a boy…” Needless to say, this bothered my D-I-L (not the thought that she was having a boy) and she told my son what happened, but withholding the gender as she figured at least one of them should be surprised. My son, not being very happy about it, called the baker to give him a piece of his mind and that baker said, “I’m sorry, I didn’t know you didn’t know you were having a boy…”

So, for the two of them it was no longer a surprise, but you wouldn’t have known from the way they acted. Oh, and they did get their cake for free and a larger size than the one they originally ordered.

• 26 sherijr
        June 10, 2014 at 3:59 pm

that is a GREAT story Japa!! Except for baker messing things up.. love it! I’m looking forward to this.. the funny thing is, they will find out on June 13th the gender.. how they’re all going to keep it a secret, I dunno :)

• June 10, 2014 at 3:22 pm

very very nice…..i like this…garnering family support for what they call…#modernfamily….

• 28 sherijr
        June 10, 2014 at 4:00 pm

me too, pf, love it. I cracked up how they refer to themselves as the Unit… reminded me of Amk :) :)

14. June 10, 2014 at 3:08 pm

We Must include and be appalled about all the children that are lost because of gun violence…no matter where the occur…

• June 10, 2014 at 3:10 pm

and if we were to add up the numbers of children killed daily by gun violence…the numbers would be staggering….simply staggering!

• 31 GGail
      June 10, 2014 at 3:32 pm

I agree PF, we can’t put these tragedies into individual pockets of society, but looked at them as a collective whole. If it doesn’t overwhelm one and take ones breath away, then you have no heart.

15. 32 LDS
    June 10, 2014 at 3:14 pm

Pretty Foot, I agree!
    American can do better when everyone is included not just “safe” schools and “safe neighborhoods.
    If we say love is love….then life is life.

Everyone must be counted in the equation concerning gun violence. The inner cities have been held hostage for years.
    Gentrification is only a band aid.
    Fix it, America!

16. June 10, 2014 at 3:18 pm
  17. 34 GGail
    June 10, 2014 at 3:21 pm

This is a comment I read on the story about the Canadian shooting…

“We are attempting to start a campaign that will teach gun owners to shoot themselves before they can harm anyone else.
    Hope to see much progress.”

18. June 10, 2014 at 3:23 pm
  19. June 10, 2014 at 3:25 pm

HRC lied. Color me shocked.

20. June 10, 2014 at 3:28 pm

Thanks all for continuing to bring this effort to reduce gun violence to the forefront and keep it there. Only the will of the people will make a difference. No lobby is more powerful than the majority.

21. 47 Jovie