Jun

Rise and Shine

Randomness, in honor of the birthday girl: First Lady Michelle Obama hugs daughters Sasha, left, and Malia as they visit the Great Wall of China in Mutianyu, China, March 23, 2014 (Photo by Amanda Lucidon)

Today (all times Eastern)

10:45: The President signs H.R. 3080 and H.R. 1726; VP Biden also attends

12:30: Josh Earnest briefs the press

4:0: The President delivers remarks and answers questions in a Tumblr event, State Dining Room

The Week Ahead

Forbes: Since Obamacare Passed 50 Months Ago, Healthcare Has Gained Almost 1 Million Jobs

Obamacare was once called “The Job-Killing Health Care Law.” But the latest jobs report suggests that the broader economy — and the health care sector, specifically — is adding jobs at a healthy rate.

Since the Affordable Care Act was signed into law in March 2010, the health care industry has gained nearly 1 million jobs — 982,300, to be more precise — according to Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates released on Friday.

Meanwhile, the rest of the economy has added 7.7 million jobs since March 2010, and for the first time, more people are working since the recession began five years ago.

Private-sector jobs also grew for the 51st straight month, Justin Wolfers observes at The Upshot, which ties the longest consecutive streak on record and overlaps with the passage of Obamacare 50 months ago. But that streak is piddling compared to health care, which just reported its 131st straight month of job gains.

More here

Charlie Rose’s Interview with Jay Carney

On This Day

President Obama listens as Press Secretary Robert Gibbs informs him about the shooting at the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum, June 10, 2009 (Photo by Pete Souza)

President Obama talks with Assistant to the President for Legislative Affairs Phil Schiliro outside of the Oval Office, June 10, 2009 (Photo by Pete Souza)

President Obama throws a football to Democratic Majority Leader Steny Hoyer of Maryland on the patio of the White House Chief of Staff, June 10, 2009 (Photo by Pete Souza.)

President Obama looks at a map donated to the White House by the National Geographic Society, in the Oval Office, June 10, 2009 (Photo by Pete Souza)

President Obama bids farewell to Personal Secretary Katie Johnson on her last day at the White House, June 10, 2011 (Photo by Pete Souza)

President Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama leave the White House for Camp David, June 10, 2011

President Obama speaks as CEO of Deloitte Joe Echevarria (R), senior adviser to the President Valerie Jarrett (L) and equal pay supporters look on during an East Room event marking the 5oth anniversary of the Equal Pay Act, June 10, 2013

MoooOOOooorning everyone, sorry for the news-less R&S, a whole bunch of worky stuff has come up so I’m clean out of time. Will try to catch up later.

113 Responses to “Rise and Shine”

June 10, 2014 at 10:27 am

GM!!

2. 5 yardarm756
    June 10, 2014 at 10:29 am

Well, well, well. Top ten at last.

3. June 10, 2014 at 10:33 am

Good Morning!

Happy Birthday to my older sister!

Happy Birthday to Sasha!

I had a great weekend. Two of my friends came all the way from Maryland/Virginia to come see me here in Florida. We went to a local winery (tiny one cuz this is a tiny town :) ). Then we went to a beach and later we went out to dinner where we sat next to a guy who looked like Bill Clinton. There was a guy named Johnny Bowles who played the guitar and sang all evening. Sang for every customer that came on the patio to eat. Good times. Good times. :)

4. June 10, 2014 at 10:33 am

Gracious, compassionate President Obama:

• 20 Nerdy Wonka
      June 10, 2014 at 11:02 am

What a generous man and president.

I saw the Normal Heart the night it premiered on HBO and oh my goodness, it haunted me in such a beautiful manner.

Ryan Murphy did the adaption justice. It was raw, heartbreaking, poignant, made you angry at the Reagan administration for ignoring their cries, made you frustrated at some in the LGBT community for not speaking up at first, but then you realized that they were justifiably afraid everything they’d worked so hard for, every progress would regress and burn to ashes. Made you frustrated at the wider public for shaming the LGBT population as though AIDS is only a homosexual disease and not an epidemic that affected all genders and sexes. The movie had moments of joy and pain; but overall, it was a story about love, grit, determination, and humanity.

• June 10, 2014 at 11:45 am

It was wrenching and a very, very explosive period in our history. I remember the day my good friend and study partner in Psych Statistics class died. He was the first person I knew who had contracted AIDS. He was so sick, so very sick, but it was hard letting him go. The funeral was full of incredible sorrow and anxiety. It would be a very long time before this country would really grapple with the whole issue and the needs of the population affected. Thank goodness so much progress has been made, thanks to a dedicated medical community, especially the doctors at UCSF.

Did you ever see Angels in America? That’s also very powerful.

• 22 Dudette
          June 10, 2014 at 1:38 pm

Thanks for posting that tweet! I haven’t seen The Normal Heart, but I sure plan to see it soon.

I’ve watched Angels in America so many times I think I could be understudy for any of the characters. It was soooo beautifully done. Brilliant casting, brilliant acting, brilliantly staged and shot. The soundtrack is amazing too. I listen to it at work all the time.

5. 24 99ts
    June 10, 2014 at 10:34 am

mmm missed this one – too busy reading about Caroline’s grandchildren and the joys of being a grandmother.

June 10, 2014 at 10:34 am

About the man chosen for Israel’s Presidency….not good.

Rivlin’s political views could be a liability.

He opposes the creation of a Palestinian state, putting him at odds with the international community and even his own prime minister.

7. 27 sherijr
    June 10, 2014 at 10:36 am

Good morning Chips, TOD… Happy Tuesday & Happy 13th Birthday Sasha :)

June 10, 2014 at 10:36 am

G’morning Chips, TOD, lurkers, everyone and congrats DF on #1 :)

Excellent R & S mish-mash – thanks Chips. If you don’t mind my asking, what are H.R. 3080 and H.R. 1726? I should know this, but too lazy to look them up now. Thanks!

June 10, 2014 at 10:38 am

• 33 debz
      June 10, 2014 at 10:41 am

Happy Birthday Sasha!! I can’t believe how much she has grown. Hope she has a wonderful bday celebration.

10. 34 HZ
    June 10, 2014 at 10:42 am

Good Morning my Chips, TOD family and my Danny . Thank you for our R&S. Chips. This always is my place to get some more energy to go out and tend to the front and back flowers.

Have a great day everyone. And let us not forget to get some delicious ice cream in celebration for Sasha’s 13th birthday. I have my flavor in mind right now, and I do plan to go out and get a pint to enjoy. Do not tell my cardiologist. Just having some fun. Love you all so much, HZ

11. June 10, 2014 at 10:43 am

Good Morning, Everyone :)

Happy Birthday Sasha!!

June 10, 2014 at 10:44 am

He was a convicted felon who wasn’t supposed to have weapons. Are we tired of this bullshit yet?

13. 38 anniebella
    June 10, 2014 at 10:48 am

Have Jay Carney left already?

14. 40 Nerdy Wonka
    June 10, 2014 at 10:48 am

What a great interview with Press Secretary Jay Carney.

Thanks for providing the link yesterday, Meta.

• June 10, 2014 at 11:34 am

You’re very welcome. I thought it was such a great insight to both men. So much love and respect there, it was really moving for me.

15. 42 Vicki
    June 10, 2014 at 10:52 am

Here is some “not news.”
    The New YorkTtimes has given up even the pretense of journalism today with an article called “For Virginia Democrat, Obama’s Still a Positive.”
    Sounds ok, right?

In the piece the following words are written:

“In other parts of the country, Democrats are running from the president, eager to distance themselves from the Affordable Care Act and its bungled rollout, much as Republicans tried to separate themselves form President George W. Bush during the midterm elections of his second term, when the disaster of Hurricane Katrina and the unpopular Iraq war loomed large.”

UNBELIEVABLE!!!! Read that execrable paragraph again and let it sink in.

Just the same! a poorly working website that slowed the delivery of healthcare to numbers now approaching 20 million and
    Hurricane Katrina which killed 10,000 people and destroyed parts of a great American City and the Iraq war which killed 6 thousand troops at least and wounded 30 thousand plus.

And, not insignificant to me, is the understanding that the only Democrats running from the President are the ones that work for the other side or are too stupid to be saved by facts.

• 43 SUE DUVALL SMITH
      June 10, 2014 at 11:20 am

THERE ARE SO MANY ‘SICK IN THE MIND’ PEOPLE OUT THERE….PRAYING FOR OUR PRESIDENT…ALWAYS!…AND…PRAYING FOR ALL OF THESE BEAUTIFUL CHILDREN WHO HAVE CROSSED THE BORDER…ANYONE WHO DOESN’T UNDERSTAND THEIR EVACUATION HAS ABSOLUTELY,POSITIVELY NO SOUL AND EATS ‘EVIL’ FOR BREAKFAST!

16. 44 57andfemale
    June 10, 2014 at 10:55 am

• 45 Linda
      June 10, 2014 at 11:38 am

GWB paid 20 million Ransom for the Americans held hostage in Columbia by FARC. McCain was the bag man in 2008. Remember when he all of a sudden turned up there during the campaign claiming it was there to let them know he was promising better relations when he became president ?

I think there is video of him there. Everyone here said Huh ??? The hostages were coincidentally released at the same time.

• 46 57andfemale
        June 10, 2014 at 11:45 am

It’s so infuriating. And didn’t Bush pay the Taliban to NOT fight so his surge would be ‘successful?’ Heard it somewhere.

And yet this b.s. gets through to the American people. Is there any reason Hollywood liberals couldn’t start an honest network to counteract FOX?!

17. 47 donna dem 4 obama
    June 10, 2014 at 11:05 am

18. 48 donna dem 4 obama
    June 10, 2014 at 11:05 am

19. 54 donna dem 4 obama
    June 10, 2014 at 11:06 am

20. 55 donna dem 4 obama
    June 10, 2014 at 11:09 am

“I get all this blowback from so-called “responsible” gun owners whenever I suggest that we need to institute some common sense gun laws in this country. Well, this is what I have to say to you: If you think that background checks are infringing on your rights, you are NOT responsible. If you think that any weapon should be available for sale at any time to anyone, you are NOT responsible. You’re just some troll from the NRA trying to make people who actually are responsible gun owners think you’re one of them. But you are not. You are the reason 20 first graders from Sandy Hook never saw second grade. You are the reason why there are two more widows grieving the loss of their husbands who were doing nothing more than having lunch when they were shot down in cold blood. You, with your nonsense about how only a good guy with a gun is the antidote to a bad guy with a gun, are the reason Joseph Wilcox is lying on a slab at the morgue. You are what is wrong with this country.”

21. June 10, 2014 at 11:15 am

Good Morning! Happy Birthday Sasha?

22. 57 donna dem 4 obama
    June 10, 2014 at 11:15 am

• 58 Vicki
      June 10, 2014 at 11:20 am

Fox journalist. NY Times journalist. Exactly the same. See my post up-thread if you don’t think this is true.

23. 59 donna dem 4 obama
    June 10, 2014 at 11:19 am

24. 62 dotster3
    June 10, 2014 at 11:20 am

If you didn’t see this, you have to. Colbert on the media’s Bergdahl idiocy. I love Colbert…….

• 63 MadameSoph
      June 10, 2014 at 4:14 pm

Saw that Dotster and it made my night! Stephen has a good heart and he nailed the whole heartbreaking story of Fox and Cnn’s complicity in the disgraceful treatment of a POW and his family! I’m so glad he called them out as only he can.

25. June 10, 2014 at 11:24 am

Happy Birthday Sasha!

26. 65 dotster3
    June 10, 2014 at 11:27 am

I don’t know if this was clarified here, but just in case. Remember the rumor of a couple days ago that the Obamas had purchased a post-presidency home in Asheville, N.C.? Well——not true. WH denies.

• 66 carolyn
      June 10, 2014 at 11:59 am

At the time this circulated here, I thought: “I will believe that when the President makes an announcement, or has his press secretary make one.”

27. 67 donna dem 4 obama
    June 10, 2014 at 11:28 am

• June 10, 2014 at 11:31 am

I wish I could RT this a MILLION times. AWESOME tweet, Donna. I’m gonna drag that image and use it until we WIN in November.

28. 69 carolyn
    June 10, 2014 at 11:28 am

Three things I’m glad about this morning: 1. Hillary Clinton’s book publication and phony book tour is now, not September. 2. Bowe Bergdahl is home NOW, not in September. 3. Barack Obama is president NOW, and will be for 2 1/2 more years.

I think (for what it’s worth) that Hillary’s high point is now and through part of the summer. I listened to the trailer for Diane Sawyer’s interview, and of course, she asked about when she would make up her mind, and her answer about this decision, whether to or not, was “I’ll do what’s right for me.” If someone else heard it differently please correct me. But, whether that referred to merely timing, or the total decision, that answer says it all to me. Not what’s right for the party and the country, but what’s right for me. As I read in the New York magazine article, the author said, “Hillary wants to be president, but she doesn’t want to run for president.” Running is hard work, which she found out in 2008. If the nomination is given to her, fine and dandy, but if she wants to work for it, that’s no fun. She’s wealthy now, and can have a good life and be in the spotlight just by being. She wants to be the first woman president, I think, if the getting there is not too difficult.

With regard to Sgt. Bergdahl, the hype is now, the press and everyone else will have moved on, and people will see that it was right to bring him home, and eventually will learn that these five Taliban members are basically toothless nothings, at least four of them.

And yes, Barack Obama has his hand on the tiller, and is slowly moving this old ship of state around.

June 10, 2014 at 11:34 am

Despite all the hype that interview got…

• 71 donna dem 4 obama
        June 10, 2014 at 12:17 pm

Which is why IMO we should stop given it voice as well. There is an awful lot of angst about that woman on this blog. She doesn’t move me one way or the other and I’d have to say based on this review that the public is feeling about the same as I am. The media is propagating most of this HRC stuff. Our reacting to everything she says and does is futile at this point. We know how the Clinton’s operate. Right now she’s pimping her book. Let her pimp it!

She’s a Dem so any positive press about her benefits Democrats and yes we already know that the media is going to jump on anything they feel is negative either toward her or the President. That script was written a long time ago. The media is simply building her up so that they can tear her down when she declares her candidacy.

I’m gonna concentrate on 2014 and let Hillary play this game with the media until she throws her hat in the ring for real.

Just my 2cents.

29. 73 CEB
    June 10, 2014 at 11:32 am

Thanks so much for posting the complete interview that Jay had with Charlie Rose, Chips; I would not have been able to see it otherwise.
    I love Jay even more after seeing this side of him. His respect, support and affection for PBO is so apparent, as well as his own skills.
    Good Day, TOD ohana.

• June 10, 2014 at 11:48 am

I just his tremendous loyalty. I remember Jay and his wife from WAY back when they were regulars on the Sunday shows. I’ve always found him to be an excellent journalist. Never knew he was a Democrat. But as we see now, he has been of great service to both POTUS and VP Joe. LOVE him.

• 75 Ladyhawke
        June 10, 2014 at 12:15 pm

meta, I agree with your every word. I absolutely adore Jay Carney. His love, respect, loyalty and admiration for President Obama warms my heart. To hear President Obama say that Jay has become one of his best friends says so much. I think Charlie Rose is a terrible interviewer. I have not watched his show in years. He has a bad habit of interrupting and trying to put words in the guests mouth. It’s as if he is not listening to the responses at all because he already has a narrative that he wants to push. I was really proud of Jay. He handled himself with aplomb.

• June 10, 2014 at 12:20 pm

I, too, stopped watching Charlie Rose years ago. He used to be much better but then fell into the habit of loving the sound of his own voice and the sway of his own opinions. I happened to be channel surfing and WOW, there was Jay! So I watched and was so warmed by his words.

The story of POTUS walking into the classroom and the response of that young girl just really says so much about how profoundly this presidency has affected so many.

30. 78 donna dem 4 obama
    June 10, 2014 at 11:44 am

• June 10, 2014 at 11:51 am

I have to confess I really don’t understand how any of this allowing gun-toting at your establishment makes any business sense, let alone the horrific morality of it all. Maybe I live in a sheltered world of the West, where ironically people do not carry weapons around, but this is so far beyond common sense. These corporations need to WAKE UP before it’s too late.

• 80 donna dem 4 obama
        June 10, 2014 at 12:03 pm

It’s cultural conditioning. I remember once when I went to Kansas to visit my son when he was stationed out there we were in a restaurant and in walks this guy with holster and all and I about jumped out of my seat with fear. Everyone else in that restaurant paid him no attention whatsoever. It was amazing to me. My DIL came over to me and whispered, “mom we’re used to that here”.

There is no way on earth that I could ever get used to people walking around packing heat like that. Too many things (as often is the case) can go wrong. You and I are from different worlds when it comes to this stuff. Where we live (east and west coast) this is not the norm for us but in many parts of the country unfortunately this is commonplace…It’s just what they do! smh…

• June 10, 2014 at 12:08 pm

OMG, I really cannot comprehend the mindset for this. I would NEVER live in a community that allowed this. It’s just plain CRAZY.

31. 82 andogriff
    June 10, 2014 at 11:44 am

Good morning Ms Chips, morning all! Great R & S…..Congrats on first DF, and happy birthday to sweet Sasha!

June 10, 2014 at 11:44 am

HRC running for President will result in hrs and hrs of silliness like this…while the GOP is left to their own nasty devices as they were during the ‘1990s. Meanwhile, very little focus on the issues. What are her policies, ideas about ISSUES that matter?

• June 10, 2014 at 11:55 am

Her remark was stupid and frightfully tone-deaf – shades of Romney for me – so she deserves the hot spotlight for such a insulting attitude from a supposed polished leader. BUT you’re right, there is NO focus on her policies and attitudes, foreign and domestic. I read a piece that one of her closest allies says she’s on the Dianne Feinstein side of the spectrum as far as Democratic policies. Like that’s something to be proud of. SMH.

• 85 carolyn
        June 10, 2014 at 12:09 pm

This walkback just underlines what I said a bit upthread about Hillary. I’m glad the book is out now. She will spend part of the summer walking back things she said, there will be nothing about policies or plans. It will all be about “me, me, me.” At the end of the summer Hillary fatigue will be a fact. She wants to be crowned president, but does not want the hard work of running. Also, her old buddies are back on the scene, some of those who advised her so disastrously in 2008.

• 86 Vicki
          June 10, 2014 at 12:20 pm

I agree with the 3 previous comments. Hillary’s positions are not going to be strengths—Iraq war vote. Don’t do Obamacare. I bet you all can add lots to this

• June 10, 2014 at 12:21 pm

Her and her entire coterie invoke such negative memories for so many Americans. My only hope is that other Democrats feel so emboldened that they step forward to challenge her. We MUST have a REAL primary.

• 88 Obama Grandmama
            June 10, 2014 at 5:01 pm

After Hillary was SOS I told myself she did okay and I would give her another chance. Seeing John Kerry’s tireless work as SOS I now think John Kerry worked tirelessly while Hillary was just plain tired as SOS.

June 10, 2014 at 11:45 am

SIGH…

34. 90 57andfemale
    June 10, 2014 at 11:48 am

And Fox News and the Fox-following msm change the narrative and convince people of lies. When will this madness stop?

• 91 Layla
      June 10, 2014 at 11:59 am

This will end when the American people RISE UP! There are more good people than the gun nuts!

• 92 57andfemale
        June 10, 2014 at 12:19 pm

Not enough of them vote. That has to change. We have ceded our government to a sliver of voters. It’s outrageous.

• 93 donna dem 4 obama
      June 10, 2014 at 12:05 pm

I see that unfortunately I will be able to continue to post this every single damn day!

35. 94 57andfemale
    June 10, 2014 at 11:49 am

36. June 10, 2014 at 12:06 pm

37. 99 anniebella
    June 10, 2014 at 12:06 pm

I would like to know what the purpose of Hillary putting that bit about the Obama campaign wanted her to go after Sarah Palin when Mccain choose her as his VP candidate.

• 100 Layla
      June 10, 2014 at 12:09 pm

Self serving..and “she lied’

• 101 carolyn
        June 10, 2014 at 12:16 pm

That’s something else she’ll have to walk ).or “clarify.” She’ll spend her whole book tour doing this. Great presidential material…….NO

• 102 57andfemale
      June 10, 2014 at 12:23 pm

She thinks racist white women will vote for her. Hillary does not know the difference between a primary and a general election. These racist white women are going to vote for the Republican.

She thinks it’s 25 years ago when the political landscape was much different. I am shocked to see that she is trying to recreate a political reality that no longer exists. Which makes her incompetent, in my book.

• 103 Vicki
        June 10, 2014 at 12:26 pm

I agree and I bet HRC knows also that no matter what pollsters and GOP women say when they get in the booth they will vote for Jeb.

38. 105 lockewasright
    June 10, 2014 at 12:09 pm

Mornin’ all!

June 10, 2014 at 12:10 pm

The shooters (if white) are suffering from Asperger’s. The mental health system has failed them.

40. 107 Nena20409
    June 10, 2014 at 12:11 pm

Great TueTODay :)

13 is the Magic Number for a Cute Teen…….Miss Natasha Obama. Be well. Many more years to you, Sasha.

Thanks for the R&S.

41. 108 Nena20409
    June 10, 2014 at 12:13 pm

5 US soldiers and 1 Afghan soldier were killed by a friendly fire in Afghanistan. This is the largest loss of life in 5 months plus. Investigations are on the way as to how friendly fires came upon them.

42. June 10, 2014 at 12:16 pm

43. 111 dotster3
    June 10, 2014 at 12:17 pm

Gun violence continues daily—-beyond the out of control stage—–see initial reports that at least one student and one teacher shot, shooter dead. We are desperate for some effort to bring some gun control sanity to this country.

44. 112 Nena20409
    June 10, 2014 at 12:23 pm

Ice-T and a handful of Rappers rapped about Cops and Killing Cops. The Police Community, the GOP and the Media…..plus many people demanded that something be done. The best I know, Fox went bat poop for two unarmed members of the New Black Panthers outside a polling place in PA in the 2008 elections.

Since 9-11…..there are about 34 people killed by Militia Groups and included in those 34 were Cops.

Why is it that there is No outrage and there are No planned events or strong condemnation from the Police Organizations about the killing of Cops? In the last 18 months, I have heard at least 5 Cop killings. Where is their March? Where is their demand that Congress at least have a strong background check?

45. 113 Nena20409
    June 10, 2014 at 12:28 pm

6-9-14

WH Presser with Josh Earnest in for Jay “Clark Kent” Carney.

Guest: Sec of Education, Mr. Duncan