Jun

Rise and Shine: The Week Ahead

President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama greet a young dancer after an honoring song inside the Cannon Ball Community pow wow arbor, June 13, 2014

Today (all times PDT)

8:25 AM: The President departs Palm Springs en route Los Alamitos, California

9:0: Arrives Los Alamitos

9:45: Attends a DNC event, Private Residence, Laguna Beach

11:30: Delivers remarks at the University of California, Irvine

1:40: Departs Los Alamitos, California en route Palm Springs

2:15: Arrives Palm Springs

Sunday

The President has no public events scheduled

Monday

The President and First Lady will return to Washington, DC from Palm Springs, California.

Tuesday

President Obama will travel to TechShop Pittsburgh in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania to deliver remarks on the economy. Following this, he will travel to New York City to attend the DNC LGBT Gala and take part in another DNC Event.

Wednesday

The President will host the first ever White House Maker Faire and meet with students, entrepreneurs and everyday citizens who are using new tools and techniques to launch new businesses, learn vital skills in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM), and fuel the renaissance in American manufacturing.

Thursday

The President will award Corporal William “Kyle” Carpenter, U.S. Marine Corps (Ret.), the Medal of Honor for conspicuous gallantry.

Friday

The President will meet with Prime Minister John Key of New Zealand.

On This Day

President Obama poses for a picture with patrons at Tacky Jack’s, a seafood restaurant in Orange Beach, Ala., June 14, 2010. This was the President’s fourth trip to the Gulf Coast to assess the ongoing response to the BP oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico (Photo by Pete Souza)

First Lady Michelle Obama waits to be introduced during an event at the Claremont Hotel Club & Spa in Berkeley, Calif., June 14, 2011 (Photo by Lawrence Jackson)

At the Boys and Girls Clubs of Cleveland on Broadway Avenue in Cleveland, Ohio, June 14, 2012

President Obama talks to kids during a stop at the Boys and Girls Clubs of Cleveland on Broadway Avenue in Cleveland, Ohio, June 14, 2012. (Official White House Photo by Pete Souza)

First Lady Michelle Obama waits to greet President Obama upon his arrival at John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York, June 14, 2012 (Photo by Pete Souza)

On This Day – Pete Souza: “The President had invited departing staff member Adam Neufeld to the Oval Office for a farewell photograph. When the President picked up Neufeld’s six-month-old daughter, she started grabbing his face.” June 14, 2013

Pete Souza: “The President called me over to pose for a photo with a young boy who had fallen asleep during the Father’s Day ice cream social in the State Dining Room of the White House.” June 14, 2013

President Obama greets Father’s Day luncheon guests in the State Dining Room of the White House, June 14, 2013 (Photo by Chuck Kennedy )

MoooOOOooorning!

122 Responses to “Rise and Shine: The Week Ahead”

1. June 14, 2014 at 9:40 am

I have watched about 3/4rds of the event in Cannon Ball – and I have sooo many questions …

June 14, 2014 at 9:43 am

furst.

3. 4 JER
    June 14, 2014 at 9:43 am

Good Morning BFF and TOD.

June 14, 2014 at 9:51 am

kenyan’s hands to be tied.

5. 10 anniebella
    June 14, 2014 at 9:52 am

That kid sitting there sleep with his head laid back will never live that down. I can imagine that picture is in that kid’s home on the wall somewhere. What a picture to show at family reunions.

June 14, 2014 at 9:55 am

The President of the United States is standing by you pointing at you snoring.

• 12 Dudette
      June 14, 2014 at 11:34 am

:-D :-D :-D

• 13 Dudette
      June 14, 2014 at 11:36 am

Hmmm, weirdness going on with WordPress today.
      I posted 3 smileys, but it just looks blank.

Plus the font looks weird in the comment box when I’m typing. Oh well.

• 14 MightyPamela
      June 14, 2014 at 11:40 am

When that pic first appeared, someone here astutely pointed out it was most likely a blood sugar high, and the poor young man succumbed, it was the ice cream that done him in. ;( Bless his heart.

6. June 14, 2014 at 9:52 am

Good Saturday morning, TODville!

I’m still basking in the amazement of yesterday’s trip to Indian Country. The warm ceremonial welcome, the acknowledgement of elders and children alike, the kind words and gifts honoring our PBO, the love and trust shown to one another, the color and the sound – it was off-the-charts magnificent. I can’t imagine that happening with any other POTUS. Ever.

Today will be a big deal at UC Irvine. It’s the 50th anniversary of the campus and PBO will be stellar. The two student speakers have unique stories to tell and I’m sure it will be beautiful weather.

June 14, 2014 at 9:54 am

• June 14, 2014 at 10:15 am

You are on a roll AMK and it seems like very few in the media have figured out what happened. I said on another blog Boehner has to be doing the happy dance. The number one pain in his side is gone about to be replaced with Kevin McCarthy who from what I gather is one of his people. The TeaParty took out their highest ranking advocate.

I wouldn’t be surprised if PBO and Boehner laughed on the phone together for several hours after it happened.

8. 20 JER
    June 14, 2014 at 9:55 am

June 14, 2014 at 10:08 am

10. 23 Vicki
    June 14, 2014 at 10:15 am

Good morning TOD. The photo on top of R & S is my favorite from yesterday. The First Couple are aglow and the childs outfit work together to capture the happiness of the day. PBO also looked especially beautiful in the morning sun when he was informing us about Iraq. This is what 52 looks like???? Not usually.
    ———————————————————————————————-

I won’t be posting here for a bit. I am too distressed about the blocking out and attempted destruction of the Obama Presidency.
    Yes, it is not new.
    Yes, we’ve all noticed biased and ugly media coverage.
    But for me it hit its peak today and I need to take a break.
    Read on only if you want to be depressed with me.

That the N Y Times slams POTUS at every turn is old news. Today the front page had it usual what’s bad for PBO story, written by Obama-hater Peter Baker. Jeff Zeleny, who used to cover PBO for the Times is gone and Baker is fulltime with his bias and contempt.

It was the story on page 15, buried in the middle not top of page that did me in. “Obama Visits Sioux Lands on a Trip Shadowed by Iraq.” The President’s recent trip to Afghanistan, the trip to DDay events, West Point all given short shrift.

On TV the big story is Christie’s Dad Dancing.
    All I have to say about that is in 2008 the big stories were Hillary versus Rudy Giuliani. This will end the same way. Neither one will be President.
    ——————————————————————————————–

So to Chips, Nerdy, zizi, Bob, Hopefruit, Meta, desertflower, 57and female, anniebella, Don, Jovie, carolyn, dotster, Cindy, vcprez, donna, amk, jacquelineoboomer, jackiegrumbacher,COS and every single person who writes and contributes here I will be reading all your remarks regularly and thank all of you for the positive contributions to our universe that you make. See you later….

• June 14, 2014 at 10:25 am

Oh Vicki, so so sorry to hear you’re feeling this down. Just take a break from the madness and come back refreshed, it’s all about November now and getting results that will allow PBO achieve so much more over the next two years. Just take care of yourself and come back to us when you can.

• June 14, 2014 at 10:34 am

Take the time you need Vicki. We all go through it, but in the end, we come back here to be with like-minded people. What keeps me going is that our President keeps going.

• 26 amk for obama
      June 14, 2014 at 10:35 am

Yes, sometimes it gets you down when you see how corrupt and inept the media lowlifes are. And the fact that half the voters are dumb & prejudiced and the other three-quarters are dumb and lazy makes you wanna weep. But we persevere on in the hope that a country who elected this man twice, despite all the calumny, money and knee-capping from the gop and their media minions, can’t be that bad.

• 28 Cindy
      June 14, 2014 at 10:48 am

Good morning Vicki,
      I am so sorry to learn that you are hurting from this hatred against President Obama. Please know that I understand “all” of your pain, and I will lift you up in prayer. I have felt it to the very core of my soul at times, and could not contain the pain that brought tears and hurt from within. I will not tell you to turn off the TV or don’t read the paper, or trust the President. I will only say; I understand because I have walked a mile in your shoes.

Just know that God has His hands on President Obama, and no weapon formed against him shall “ever” prosper. Those who hate him; smear his name, and seek to destroy his legacy, will reap what they have sown. It’s inevitable because God said it and he is not man that he shall lie.

They will reap; the universal law, it’s God’s promise and I have never seen the righteous forsaken, they will answer for their hatred and lies in due season. You deserve your space to feel the hurt within…..I know it all too well. You will return when it’s time, and I will pray for you until it’s time.

Warmest Blessings {{{{{{{{{{Vicki}}}}}}}}}
      Cindy

June 14, 2014 at 10:57 am

Vicki I can totally understand the demoralization that you are experiencing right now. I think everyone of us here has at some point or another felt the same way, and given the toxicity of the current media – it’s easy to see why. {{{{Vicki}}}}

Like the others here have expressed, I say take as long as you need to regroup and recharge, and just remember, PBO has GOT THIS!!!

June 14, 2014 at 11:00 am

{{{{Vicki}}}} So that this hit you so hard, but I understand about taking a break. You do what you have to do to keep your sanity and stay positive. You need to be better for Nov. :) Hugs to you and be well. Come back when you’re back feeling better…we’ll never be able to STOP fighting…. Much love and hugs.

• 31 0388jojothecat
      June 14, 2014 at 11:08 am

I know how you feel Vicki. I have been so angry and depressed because of the treatment the so-called media gives to both PBO & FLOTUS. Sometimes I just HATE this country for their evil regarding the good these two want for all citizens. The wealthy hate them because they are not fawning over them but on the gives praise to folks who are trying so hard to climb out of the poverty the rich wants them to remain in. It is so discouraging to see right wingers helped by ACA but still plan to vote rethugs in, who are so ready to go to war but no UI or create jobs or reduce interest rates for college students or background checks on mentally I’ll or limit gun clips capacity to prevent the slaughter of six year olds. No we can’t do that because the president is a black foreigner. He has to get permission from the whites in congress or we will impeach him although they allowed the white president to get away with ignoring threats of 9/11, lie us into two wars, reveal an active CIA agent, and on and on with not one peep from the media or the people. When the former president tortured and spyed on their own people it was OK…now the young people who are in Facebook , Tweeter, instagram, cell phones that tract your every movement with every updated app is incensed with this president over NSA gathering meta data and these same people plan to vote for Rand Paul or some other teabagger libertarian. Thanks for reading my rant but sometimes I just hate this country but love coming to TOD who gives me the truth and disects the lies. I love all the people here who keep me sane.

• 32 mtmarilyn
      June 14, 2014 at 11:32 am

Vicki, I also understand what you say. I have been so depressed over how this man is treated and how the msm and rwnj’s and some Dems treat this President and this country. But coming to this place and reading and watching some of what went on yesterday I know I am not alone. We must not give up on this wonderful country. There are more of us than them. I do have to take time off every now and then. I do more lurking than commenting but coming back here and getting all the real people’s news is healing.

I will also thank all of you who comment and bring the news here. You are all a life saver for all of us. Keep up the great work.

• 33 MightyPamela
      June 14, 2014 at 11:49 am

Vicki, I will light a candle in your name when I return from work. If it’s acceptable, I will ask for you to find peace and grounding, and when you have rested, that you will begin to find the strength to protect yourself from the main stream media and their relentless attempts to cut, and destroy. They will not waver, they will never desist, there’s too much money to be made and only a limited time left for them to engage in this dark cover. They have sold their own Souls, please do not allow them to affect your own beautiful Soul in the process. Many blessings, hold to the Light. <3

• June 14, 2014 at 12:22 pm

Oh,this makes me very sad. Please do take the time you need but also know we love you. Your voice is important to us and to President Obama. I know how some days can feel like despair but we are here to tell a different story. Stay strong. I’m sending you my very best wishes and my hopes for your return. We’ll miss your contributions.

June 14, 2014 at 12:37 pm

Vicki – We love how you love President Obama as we do, and are sending big hugs to you! Come back to post, whenever you choose, because we’ll all be here waiting for you … even if some of us, too, have to take the occasional break.

• 36 jackiegrumbacher
      June 14, 2014 at 2:26 pm

Vicky, I will be very sorry to miss your wonderful insights and your impressions of what’s happening in NY, but I know how much anger and depression over the constant efforts to destroy our president can exhaust our spirit. I’m glad you’re tuning in, though, because without the support of TODers, we would all dry up for lack of nourishment, not to mention the loss of information which comes from no where else. So please, rest and disengage for a while so you can come back roaring for action and help beat the socks off of Republicans and their media minions.

11. 37 dotster3
    June 14, 2014 at 10:17 am

Every time I see notice of a Medal of Honor ceremony, which is nice and deserved, I always think of how great it would be to honor others from all different walks of life. So many people are doing miraculous, wondrous things in their communities, making differences, many overcoming huge challenges and at great personal risk. I think that attention on all the positive, good people would be a good thing.

• 38 CEB
      June 14, 2014 at 10:23 am

There is a similar award for citizens who have contributed much to society (I forget the name) and there is one related to the Arts and Sciences. There have been ceremonies every year under PBO.

12. 39 CEB
    June 14, 2014 at 10:18 am

Good morning everyone. Looking forward to sharing in UC Irvine’s 50th celebration and commencement program with PBO.
    Even though we have seen so many photos of PBO’s interaction with children, I am still so touched when I see them. I marvel at how childen of all ages run to him for hugs; how they cling to him in perfect trust; how he sees each of them and engages with them as if the only thing that he has to do is to be in that moment with them. When he referred to the Native American children as the sacred ones in yesterday’s activities, and how he said that even though he had spoken with a group of young people there for only an hour that he loved them, it was clear that these were heartfelt words. All of the presidents of the modern era were fathers who I am sure loved their own children very much, but PBO loves all children with a father’s heart and he puts that love into action in all of his policies and inall of his interactions. I love how he loves.

13. June 14, 2014 at 10:24 am

I have to give credit. Overall the Bush family has been extremely gracious to the Obamas.

June 14, 2014 at 11:08 am

Why shouldn’t they be – the Obamas have been very gracious to them. If anything, their “graciousness” to the Obamas is more likely to endear them rather than hurt them with the mainstream public voting bloc. People shouldn’t be given “credit” or praised for doing what they OUGHT to be doing.

• June 14, 2014 at 11:35 am

Not in the beginning. I still haven’t forgotten that they ordered new dishes and booked the VP residence so the Obamas couldn’t stay there.

14. 43 GGAIL
    June 14, 2014 at 10:27 am

Good West Coast morning Chipsticks & TOD family.

I’ve got POTUS & FLOTUS – whooo hooo!

15. 47 Judith Fardig
    June 14, 2014 at 10:27 am

What a great post to come back from Rome to savor! Obviously, I missed so much important news from TOD. Happy you kept the home fires burning. The Italians we met love President Obama as we do. The highlight of the trip was being 10 blocks from the Vatican watching CTV coverage of Pope Francis hosting Peres, Abbas, and others at the unprecedented ecumenical prayer service. The helicopters flew right over our heads after. The Obamas are likewise choosing hope over despair and influencing people everywhere they go. Each of us can do that in our own small worlds. TOD keeps me fueled,. Profound thanks to everyone here for all you do.

• June 14, 2014 at 10:35 am

Welcome home Judith, hope you had a wonderful time!!

• 49 Judith Fardig
        June 14, 2014 at 11:30 am

It was just the R&R we needed, thanks to frequent flyer miles and my sister’s extra bedroom in her summer apartment. I hope Vicki can take a break from the media nonsense and come back refreshed to register voters and GOTV. Every little bit helps.

• 50 GGAIL
      June 14, 2014 at 10:41 am

Welcome back Judith. Glad you had a good vacation.

• 51 Judith Fardig
        June 14, 2014 at 11:31 am

Thanks, GGail. Italy is EATALY in the best possible way. Now back on the rabbit food diet.

16. 52 Cindy
    June 14, 2014 at 10:35 am

Good morning, afternoon and or evening to EVERYONE!

Wishing everyone a BEAUTIFUL and AWESOME SATURDAY.

Sooooooooo HAPPY! President is at UCI!!!

PROUD I AM, child unit (as amk would say) is graduate of the class of 2008 (Doctorial in Psychology).

Trying to encourage her to go by and take pictures of the 1st family and get an autograph for me. Needless to say, she thinks I am crazy : )

17. 53 criquet
    June 14, 2014 at 10:40 am

Morning all. Thanks for the coverage of the trip to the Sioux Reservation Pow Wow Grounds. It was as magnificent as usual.
    Was not featured too much anywhere else.

18. 54 MightyPamela
    June 14, 2014 at 10:41 am

Mornin’ y’all.

19. 55 criquet
    June 14, 2014 at 10:42 am

Anyone know what this is about?

20. June 14, 2014 at 10:43 am

Good Saturday Morning Friends! :-)

21. 70 Layla
    June 14, 2014 at 10:51 am

Good morning all. Where’s The Bear now..

22. 72 99ts
    June 14, 2014 at 10:53 am

I have seen this before – not sure if here or elsewhere – but I love this little verse

“Get out of town,
    You featherheaded carpetbagging Wall St. clown,
    Scott Brown! ”

“This morning’s Concord Monitor ran a piece of “Political Poetry” from former US poet laureate Donald Hall, a resident of Wilmot, N.H., attacking US Senate candidate Scott Brown.”

23. 74 a4alice
    June 14, 2014 at 10:57 am

just saw this go by on my timeline:

24. 75 a4alice
    June 14, 2014 at 11:02 am

Ha Chips. I still thought I was on “early bird chat” and then realized you are waaaaayyy ahead! What a great R&S!

Hope everyone in TOD is going to have a great day :-)

25. 77 JER
    June 14, 2014 at 11:07 am

• 78 Layla
      June 14, 2014 at 11:15 am

TOD is such a wonderful place to be. I have learned sooo much here on historical and current events. Appreciate all of you!

June 14, 2014 at 11:18 am

Wait a minute, I cannot find the ‘week in review’.

Chi-iiii-ips!

• June 14, 2014 at 11:19 am

:-) Will try to do it for the morning, but struggling time-wise!

June 14, 2014 at 11:30 am

Oh, was sure you left it out just because **you knew** >*I*< had missed a lot this past week! ;) ;)

{{{CC}}} Hon, you do so much here – take your time and quit struggling. We already have this huge 'fair'ground that you have cultivated for PBO – we are more than happy! BTW, I rib you a lot but never with the intent to add to the pressure (simply because you are fun to rib). :) :)

27. 82 JER
    June 14, 2014 at 11:24 am

28. 89 sherijr
    June 14, 2014 at 11:25 am

Okay looking forward to POTUS again today :) :) side note, my sister worked at UCI for a short while and I believe took a few classes there, years ago.

• 90 sherijr
      June 14, 2014 at 11:32 am

oops just realized times were west coast… off to clean until our President speaks .. in three more hours :) Happy Saturday and first day of summer for most of our school kids!

29. 91 GGAIL
    June 14, 2014 at 11:30 am

Chips, Donna posted a great tweet on Early Bird post. If you have time, please bring it over.

Excellent motivational read, IMO.

30. 92 JER
    June 14, 2014 at 11:34 am

President Obama just departed Palms Springs. Did not see FLOTUS.

31. 98 dotster3
    June 14, 2014 at 11:47 am

PBO nominates New Haven, Ct. atty. for judge of U.S. Dist. Court in Ct. Has civil liberties and civil rights background, seems to be highly respected and recommended by all who know him.

32. 99 JER
    June 14, 2014 at 11:50 am

33. 100 donna dem 4 obama
    June 14, 2014 at 12:01 pm

To Vicki

To share a story with you:

This week was the beginning of early voting here in MD and our Lt. Governor is running for Governor. He has a 19 year old daughter who was able to vote in her very first (primary) election this year. She is volunteering for her dad this summer and the joy and passion that she brings the campaign office is palatable. The great promise of this country is with our youth. They are not cynical or disillusioned and the great thing about them is that they don’t stay glued to MSNBC/CNN or network news unless there is a special event taking place. They get most all of their information from the internet and spread it via technology or word of mouth. Our youth is our secret weapon. Since the election of President Obama politics became cool again. Her friends are open to listening to her speak on behalf of her dad and I’d say many of them will become lifetime voters due in part because of her encouraging them to vote in this years election.

So I understand your feelings. The goal of the traditional media is to demoralize, discourage and depress PBO’s supporters. All news reported by them is given with a right leaning perspective and bad news gets breathless coverage while positive news gets barely a mention. I’m not sure where you live but may I suggest that you try and find a local Democratic/OFA office that you can get involved with. Even if it’s only for one hour a week. You will see how hard people are working on PBO’s behalf. You will get a sense of the passion and dedication that his supporters have for him. You don’t have to make calls or canvass because there are many other administrative things that your local office might need assistance with. You will be inspired and encouraged to know that so many people who support PBO don’t watch or read that horrible stuff perpetrated by the corporate media masters. They create their own narrative and continue to Press On each day supporting our President’s agenda.

Take a break but consider refocusing your energy when you feel better about things. It’s up to each one of us as PBO’s supporters to prove the media wrong (again). Try as they might to tear him down they don’t understand that there are millions of us who are ready, willing and able to always lift him up.

And don’t you ever forget that there are endless supplies of paint!

34. 103 JER
    June 14, 2014 at 12:02 pm

Could Obamas be house hunting in Thunderbird Heights? … Some speculate first couple might be house hunting in Coachella Valley visit. … http://www.desertsun.com/story/life/home-garden/2014/06/13/michelle-obama-michael-s-smith-rancho-mirage-couple/10410567/

35. 104 dotster3
    June 14, 2014 at 12:10 pm

Large turnout in Brooklyn today for gun sense…..

36. 106 donna dem 4 obama
    June 14, 2014 at 12:12 pm

37. 108 anniebella
    June 14, 2014 at 12:17 pm

I have listen to afew Republicans talk about President Obama and how they are trying to blame him for what is going on in Iraq right now. My opinion is when is Iraq going to stand up and fight for what they want? If America go help this time, then what if their is a next time are we to go then? And a next time and a next time. I’m hearing that some Iraqi soldiers and police took off their uniforms and refuse to fight those terrorists militants. Iraq PM wanted us out of the country, now he is calling for our help. President Obama was right to tell Iraq PM that he has to get his act together.

• 109 Layla
      June 14, 2014 at 12:24 pm

Good morning annieb! The fact is the repubs blame this President for ‘everything’, no news there. Another fact is that the American people(most of them) now understand how the useless and illegal Iraq war happened and who is to blame. So I say ‘let them talk’!

• 110 Layla
        June 14, 2014 at 12:33 pm

…and finally I believe they (repubs) are trying to rehabilitate the “Bush” name in preparation to Jeb’s presidential run IMHO

June 14, 2014 at 12:37 pm

Agree Layla. America had no business invading Iraq. Bush-Cheney lied us into that war, and they bear the responsibility for what is going on now. And all those who voted for the war.

• 112 nospin
      June 14, 2014 at 5:26 pm

“I have listen to afew Republicans talk about President Obama and how they are trying to blame him for what is going on in Iraq right now”

Maybe you can tell them to not just talk about it but to “be about it”. Meaning, I am sure they can volunteer to sign up for the Iraqi army and fight on their behalf. I would be willing to foot the bill for plane fare.

38. 113 donna dem 4 obama
    June 14, 2014 at 12:31 pm

39. June 14, 2014 at 12:32 pm

40. June 14, 2014 at 12:34 pm

June 14, 2014 at 12:35 pm

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

gunnite folks.

42. 118 anniebella
    June 14, 2014 at 12:38 pm

By the way, if Hillary don’t run, I would like to see Gov. Deval Patrick run.

43. 121 Nena20409
    June 14, 2014 at 12:39 pm

Hello TOD ;)

It’s Saturday, Saturday, Saturday, that’s alright ;)

Wishing all well.