Jun

ObamaCare: 14 Million And Counting

Bns8xuiIEAAnR9m.png-large

William Tomasko: The New Grand Total: 14 Million People Signed Up To Get Covered Since October 1

We got a new Medicaid and Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) enrollment report from the feds this week, and it marks a new milestone. Between the health insurance marketplaces, Medicaid, and CHIP, 14 million Americans signed up to get covered between October 1 and the end of April. Compared to the sign-up stats from before October 1, Medicaid/CHIP enrollment has increased by 6 million people since open enrollment began on October 1, including 1.1 million in April alone.

In states that expanded Medicaid, enrollment increased by more than 15 percent, and sign-ups still increased by 3.3 percent in non-expansion states. It’s important to remember that even though open enrollment ended for the health insurance marketplaces on March 31, people can still sign up for Medicaid and CHIP at any time. So that 6 million figure will go up as the year goes on.

More here

Elise Viebeck: Insurers Flocking To ObamaCare

Health insurance companies suddenly want in on the ObamaCare action. With a difficult launch year out of the way, insurers are seeing a moneymaking opportunity in the federal healthcare program and are lining up to offer plans on the ObamaCare exchanges in 2015. In the 10 states where data is available, at least 27 new insurers have indicated they will offer plans on the marketplaces in 2015. Each additional carrier will expand the number of plans sold on the exchanges, since none of the carriers already offering plans have indicated they will drop out.

Healthcare experts, who had long predicted that more insurers would join ObamaCare in the second year, say major players in the industry can’t afford to stay on the sidelines after more than 8 million people signed up for coverage in 2014. “This is a very positive sign for the exchanges,” said Avalere Health President and CEO Dan Mendelson. “Companies that made a heavy initial investment, like Wellpoint, are staying in, and their more cautious competitors, like UnitedHealthcare, are now entering.” More competition on the exchanges could put downward pressure on prices and drive down the benchmark price for premium subsidies. The trend of insurers joining the exchanges is happening in regions across the United States.

More here

Lisa Bernard-Kuhn: Ohio’s Medicaid Enrollment Surges

The number of Ohioans enrolled into Medicaid has surged by more 308,000, following expansion of the program under health reform last fall. That increase includes roughly 184,670 Ohioans who are newly eligible for the program, according to data released. That’s more than half of the 366,000 newly eligible Ohioans that state officials expect will sign up for the program by June 2015.

Under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, states were given the option to expand Medicaid to individuals who make less than 138 percent of the federal poverty limit, or $16,104 a year for an individual. Previously, Medicaid excluded coverage for adults under 65 who did not have dependent children. Ohio and Kentucky are among 29 states that expanded the program beginning Jan. 1.

More here

Boz-4L2IcAAlUt9.png-large

Dave Jamieson: Trader Joe’s Proves That Obamacare Can Free Us From The Wrong Jobs

Late last year, Melissa O’Rourke found out that her employer, Trader Joe’s, would no longer be offering health care coverage to part-time workers like herself. As of 2014, O’Rourke would have to find her own insurance plan under the Affordable Care Act, better known as Obamacare. She had spent about nine years working for the grocer — several years longer than she’d anticipated when she first came on. A change seemed long overdue. By the end of January, O’Rourke had enrolled in Obamacare and left the Trader Joe’s crew. “Honestly, the health insurance was one of the the few things keeping me there,” O’Rourke, 37, said. For decades, health coverage in the U.S. has been closely linked to employment. The vast majority of Americans have received health coverage through their jobs and will continue to do so in the Obamacare era. But they no longer have to. The idea was central to the president’s sweeping health care reform law: By “decoupling” insurance coverage from employment, you give people more control over their careers and their lives.

In O’Rourke’s case, the new coverage has given her the chance to become a full-time labor organizer. She’s wrapping up her undergraduate degree in labor studies and plans to help launch a worker center in Indianapolis. She said she probably would have left Trader Joe’s earlier, but persistent health issues made the idea of forgoing coverage unimaginable. Thanks to a subsidy, the monthly premium for O’Rourke’s new plan under Obamacare comes to less than $27. Under her group plan at Trader Joe’s, she said, she paid around $70 a month for comparable coverage. Bryce Williams, managing director at the human resources consultancy Towers Watson, said many part-time retail employees are seeing coverage for the first time in years. His firm has consulted for companies to help part-timers navigate the exchanges and find “the best bang for the buck” under Obamacare, he said.

Some workers may be paying more for their insurance under Obamacare but enjoying new opportunities at the same time. Edan Lichtenstein, 36, decided to leave his Trader Joe’s store in Washington, D.C., shortly after the company dropped part-timers from its plans. The plan he got on the exchange runs about $260 a month, and he didn’t qualify for much of a subsidy due to his freelance income last year. Even though he’s now paying more for coverage, Lichtenstein said his career is headed in a more appropriate direction. With a bachelor’s degree, he’d never intended to work on the floor at Trader Joe’s for the four years that he did. He “would have taken more risks, but there was the health insurance issue,” he said. After he left Trader Joe’s, he took a three-month course in writing code and building apps. He’s now working part-time at a startup and looking for a full-time job where he can use more of his education. Obamacare provided him with an opening to leave retail, and he’s grateful for it.

More here

BoVgdiFCUAEZ_7I.png-large

120 Responses to “ObamaCare: 14 Million And Counting”

1. June 15, 2014 at 2:51 pm

Yet another fantastic OBAMACARE post, NW!!!! Thank you!!!!

June 15, 2014 at 2:51 pm

Hi Nerdy W!

3. 14 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    June 15, 2014 at 2:51 pm

A good read:

June 15, 2014 at 2:52 pm

Hi Nerdy, was just about to thank you for the :cool: family pics on the previous post when you opened the door. I <3 Obama family pics! :) :) :)

5. June 15, 2014 at 3:07 pm

14 million thanks Nerdy!!!

6. 22 MightyPamela
    June 15, 2014 at 3:10 pm

Huffin’ and puffin’ to catch y’all… It may not happen! Will keep tryin’! Happy Fathers Day tp all who wear the Title!! Back after I get through the previous thread..

7. 23 HS
    June 15, 2014 at 3:13 pm

The numbers of people helped by ObamaCare are far greater. Now those of us with health insurance can’t have our coverage cancelled because of a claim. We also pay more reasonable premiums because insurance companies must spend at least 85 percent of premium revenues on benefits. We also have a host of new benefits and preventative tools, thanks to Obamacare.

My husband and I already were buying our own health insurance before the ACA passed, but like millions of other Americans we now have much better coverage thanks to Obamacare.

8. 26 Jovie
    June 15, 2014 at 3:14 pm

Well, they live in the sewers… So, tell everybody to clean up their shit. :)

June 15, 2014 at 3:36 pm

Remember, that the rats have the appetites of the New Yorkers – Pizza, hot dogs, burgers, and beer…so the people have to cut back on this junk food and the booze in the first place.

But food aside, will this Army of inspectors be an Obama-commanded military force? Will there be drones? Any peace treaties with the rodents at the end of the period? :) :)

• 28 MightyPamela
        June 15, 2014 at 3:45 pm

It’s a well-known fact that rats just love the human lifestyle, and feel very comfortable sharing it with us!

• June 15, 2014 at 3:52 pm

I brought this over from the last thread. Lindsay Graham said “If Baghdad falls and the central government collapses in Iraq, the Iranians are the biggest winner. We’re the biggest loser.”

Could someone explain this part to me. If the Iranians win because Baghdad collapses why are they sending troops in to make sure Baghdad doesn’t collapse?

• June 15, 2014 at 4:03 pm

Speaking of Rats…Michael Steel is promoting the idea of Eric Cantor being the next RNC Chair….Imagine that

June 15, 2014 at 4:14 pm

Indeed pf58. One rat pimping another. I guess that calls for a NY-styled Army inspector to eradicate them both.

June 15, 2014 at 4:38 pm

Indeed! And, as one of the news readers on MSNBC said, calling the possibility of Cantor’s going from House Majority Leader to RNC Chair a “promotion,” is the best joke of all.

Nah, I think he’ll be sucking up the corporate dollars next, as most of them do.

June 15, 2014 at 4:47 pm

Considering the disrespect the RNC show Michael Steele, they threw him out like a stinking baby diaper. Makes you wonder if he has any sense.

9. June 15, 2014 at 3:17 pm

Just sayin…… when counting healthcare enrollments OFF the state exchanges (peope who make too much for a tax credit, and purchsed direct from a carrier….) it’s MORE than 14mil.

10. 40 forus50
    June 15, 2014 at 3:22 pm

Thanks Nerdy! This Obamacare news is off the charts great. Hopefully by November the weak ass Dems will have figured out how to win on it.

11. 42 forus50
    June 15, 2014 at 3:25 pm
    • 43 Alycee (@jazziz2)
      June 15, 2014 at 4:09 pm

Damn, Jim just hits it out of the park again, and again, and again…

• 44 forus50
        June 15, 2014 at 4:11 pm

He said everything I would ever want said about this. And as a veteran it is so much more powerful.

• 45 Dudette
      June 15, 2014 at 5:29 pm

Big bucket o’ TRUTH!

• 46 yardarm756
      June 15, 2014 at 5:47 pm

Oh hell yes!

• 47 Roberta in MN
      June 15, 2014 at 5:50 pm

That was an awesome post. I am friends with him on FB and he posted he would have something up soon, checked out his site and sure enough it was done. LOOOVE the truth telling. The same with the Monthly article.

• 48 HZ
        June 15, 2014 at 6:06 pm

Great!!!! Love the truth put wide open. Thanks ForUS50 for sharing this with us. HZ

• 49 forus50
          June 15, 2014 at 6:16 pm

Really powerful huh HZ? I just now have read a few more of Jim Wright’s posts on his blog; wow, what a gifted, beautiful writer. I’m not familiar with his Stonekettle Station blog but it seems many on TOD here are so I’ve now bookmarked his blog.

p.s. HZ, I always look forward to reading your beautiful thoughtful comments on TOD. Hope you are having a wonderful weekend.

• 50 HZ
            June 15, 2014 at 7:33 pm

HI forus50, oh, he said everything I think everyday, and especially now that we are dealing with the people who seem to have a constant appetite to tell PBO what he should be doing, Not to even mention how many of these foolish people( I have others words for them, but I will leave them out of my space for now), the countless lives, families, and dear sacrifices have been really stolen from these precious lives and families. That really makes me very upset.

I am not familiar with his writings, but they touched my heart and every part of my soul-spirit. Such a beautiful writer. Very powerful.
            Forus50, thanks for asking about my well-being. I am fine. I have strong days and then I fight with every bit of my mother’s spirit within me to lean on my inner strength that she gave to me.

I am not a writer, but I do enjoy reading brilliant writings which is why I know a deeper spirit sent me to this beautiful place. Chips has created such a well of brilliant people to contribute here. I love each of them. It is an honor to be in all of the TOD family members each day of my life. So my comments just come from the motivation of a group of beautiful souls here within this beautiful haven that Chips has created. I love it because Chips does not allow the crap to come into this space and she will not allow a disrespectful person come here with crap. I just type what is given to me from a spirit of compassion for looking into the world where I have a little piece of the precious space to be alive and meet daily here with such beautiful souls as TODers.

I am having a lovely and quiet weekend. Chance to speak privately with my loving brother since his nearness is not far from me this weekend. My patio, the music, the breeze, and the thoughts of my precious mother, father, and grand parents are just peacefully sitting with me here on this lovely west coast afternoon. I feel very blessed, forus50.

I hope your weekend is a restful, peaceful, and loving space for you and your family and friends. Thank you for your gifts within the TOD family. HZ

June 15, 2014 at 3:38 pm

Thanks Nerdy for this excellent ACA- summary update! :)

13. June 15, 2014 at 3:40 pm

Oh France, being played to a standstill by mighty Honduras. Viva Concacaf!

June 15, 2014 at 3:40 pm

Here’s what the centenarian had to say:

//”George W. Bush and the crooks he hired are responsible for this. If they hadn’t lied to the American people about weapons of mass destruction we wouldn’t have lost nearly 5,000 American lives and god knows how many Iraqi lives, and stirred up this hornet’s nest. Obama has spent his entire administration cleaning up Bush’s shit, like someone with a giant pooper scooper.”//

15. 55 MightyPamela
    June 15, 2014 at 3:44 pm

May I also wish a very Happy and Blessed Father’s Day to all the single Moms out there, and here on TOD. As a single mom from mid-pregnancy, I stand as a testament to all us women who carry both parenting roles – raising a child while juggling work, housekeeping, gardening, cooking. Far too often with insufficient resources, or support. It can be a tremendous weight sometimes, but the Joy and Bliss is over-riding! Amen!

June 15, 2014 at 3:45 pm

Ha. My son has five kids, and several honorary kids (half-brothers and -sisters of his kids) whom he helped raise and who call him Dad, too, even though a couple of them live with their “real” dads. One of the honorary kids, 16 years old, called him at 12:01 a.m., to wish him a Happy Father’s Day. Son said, “Why midnight, son?” Teen (who lives with his “real” dad) said, “I wanted to be the first!”

Proud! Son was in the middle (and trying to sleep overnight) of a 20-hour two-day round trip to another state, so I’m sure he thought it could have waited, but, hey … kids!

• 60 Nerdy Wonka
      June 15, 2014 at 3:49 pm

Great anecdote. Families sure do come in all glorious forms.

June 15, 2014 at 4:35 pm

And since I think its origin is attributed to various proverbs from African cultures (and not some book writer who shall remain nameless), I’ll add:

It Takes a Village!

• 62 Cindy
      June 15, 2014 at 3:53 pm

BEAUTIFUL STORY jacquelineoboomer!
      TY for sharing.

Hope you’re having a WONDERFUL SUNDAY!

17. June 15, 2014 at 3:49 pm
  18. 65 yardarm756
    June 15, 2014 at 3:50 pm

Good after noon everyone. My contribution for the day. Now I’m off to get spoiled. ;)

19. 69 Nena20409
    June 15, 2014 at 4:12 pm

This world Cup has been riddled with intrigues, anticipations and FANTASTIC thrills.

Au for Doc Bobfr. Congrats.

Excellent ACA Post NW.
    <3 Obama <3 Cares ;)

June 15, 2014 at 5:21 pm

Hey! I’m suing. I just noticed you never acknowledged the fact that Bob and I entered hand-in-hand though I’m now currently at @11! /huff/ Well!

• 71 Nena20409
        June 15, 2014 at 7:01 pm

VC <3 you for your tutorial. I have failed TOD, my lady ;)

Forgive me and pardon me. You are 1001% correct.

Au :star: for Doc Bobfr. Au :star: for VC. Another GOLD :star: for The Slow and Steady V <3 C.

Congratulations Doc and Ms.

20. 73 Nena20409
    June 15, 2014 at 4:13 pm

It was Goooooooooooooooooooal for France.

21. 74 JER
    June 15, 2014 at 4:17 pm
  22. 75 JER
    June 15, 2014 at 4:19 pm
  23. 76 JER
    June 15, 2014 at 4:22 pm
  24. 77 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    June 15, 2014 at 4:23 pm
  25. June 15, 2014 at 4:26 pm

FOURTEEN MILLION AND COUNTING!!!

26. 79 carolyn
    June 15, 2014 at 4:44 pm

Wow! A girl goes to church, then out to dinner with her family, and comes home, opens TOD…….and is overwhelmed with goodness….It’ll take some time to catch up…..but it will be fun.
    Hope everyone is having a good day!

• 80 HZ
      June 15, 2014 at 7:43 pm

Carolyn, now you get another beautiful and glorious second anthem!!! Enjoy the harmony that you will hear in this beautiful closing selection by a great group of beautiful singers writing the notes to one of God’s glorious melodies. ‘A Blessing to PBO and Glorious Works.’

{{{{{{{{{{{{ Enjoy, my dear Carolyn.}}}}}}}}}}}}}}HZ

27. June 15, 2014 at 4:52 pm

Ahem

28. June 15, 2014 at 4:55 pm
  29. June 15, 2014 at 5:12 pm

OMFG! Watching Tony Blair grinning on BBC News as he advocates for intervention. That fucker has no remorse for what he helped wreak.

30. June 15, 2014 at 5:24 pm
  31. June 15, 2014 at 5:26 pm
  32. June 15, 2014 at 5:38 pm
    • 90 99ts
      June 15, 2014 at 6:31 pm

The Idaho GOP deserves to implode due to what the GOP in congress and their media friends did to one of Idaho’s sons.

• June 15, 2014 at 7:15 pm

I hope Idahoans close ranks and show support for one of their POW native sons, and turn blue in November.

Also hope that Idaho local media inform their audiences that it’s standard protocol to release POWs at the conclusion of a war.

The US is the one who should be made to answer for why prisoners continue to be held without charges at Gitmo.

Another shameful episode in American history that PBO must clean up with an obstructionist Congress.

So looking forward to #LandslideDems2014.

33. June 15, 2014 at 5:47 pm

Pakistan launches attack on insurgents in response to airport seige

The operation may signal an end to PM Sharif’s promise to try to end violence through talks instead of military action
    June 15, 2014

“Pakistan says it has launched a “comprehensive operation” against armed groups in its northwestern tribal region bordering Afghanistan. The announcement came hours after Pakistani jets killed dozens of alleged fighters in air raids in an aggressive response targeting those the goverrnment says are responsible for a five-hour siege on the Karachi airport a week ago.

The military said on Sunday that the operation was targeting “foreign and local terrorists” hiding in North Waziristan.

“Using North Waziristan as a base, these terrorists had waged a war against the state of Pakistan,” the military said. “Our valiant armed forces have been tasked to eliminate these terrorists regardless of hue and color, along with their sanctuaries.”

The Pakistani government has been under pressure to combat the resilient insurgency that has plagued the country for years after the attack June 8 on its busiest airport, which left 36 people, including 10 assailants dead. Government efforts that started months ago to negotiate with the armed fighters appeared to be going nowhere, and the airport violence has made the talks even less likely to succeed.”

More at the link: http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2014/6/15/pakistan-militarystrikes.html

34. June 15, 2014 at 5:49 pm
    June 15, 2014 at 6:07 pm

ROTFL…

June 15, 2014 at 6:23 pm
  37. 101 Bill R.
    June 15, 2014 at 6:39 pm

Every Monday afternoon I am still enrolling mental health patients in the Oregon Health Plan(our version of expanded Medicaid under the Affordable Care Act). Thanks to President Barack Obama it’s working.

38. 102 99ts
    June 15, 2014 at 6:40 pm

I had not realized that one of the last acts of GWB’s Presidency was to sign the documents for the US withdrawal from Iraq. Seems like he didn’t want his legacy to be a pointless war he didn’t end, he wanted to be the person thanked for ending the war – or maybe he wanted to be leaving orders for PBO? Whatever the why – his supporters are rewriting history when the insist on saying “Obama should have stayed in Iraq”

Also seems that GWB is the only person involved in the creation of this mess that is currently keeping his mouth shut. I would hazard a guess that he never listens to the news, nor reads the press and the pundits.

39. June 15, 2014 at 6:53 pm
    • 105 Layla
      June 15, 2014 at 6:58 pm

Breaking News to the Breaking News: the talks have already been going on

• 107 99ts
        June 15, 2014 at 7:04 pm

Pundits too busy talking to the GOP warmongers to discover what is really happening

• 108 Layla
          June 15, 2014 at 7:10 pm

The fact is the operation is already in motion. PBO would never let the media know of his plans. The ‘officials’ are just throwing them a bone after the fact

• 109 Layla
            June 15, 2014 at 7:24 pm

and when he is ready he will inform the American people then take questions from the media.

• 110 HZ
              June 15, 2014 at 7:51 pm

You are so insightful, Layla. They will learn hopefully sooner rather than later that President Barack is not playing in the sand with toys. He is serious and he does his job seriously without playing in the sandbox with the clowns. As Bobfr reminds us : #TRUSTBARACK.

Hope you are having a restful and lovely weekend, my beautiful Layla. HZ

• 111 Layla
                June 15, 2014 at 8:00 pm

Good evening my angel! Hope you are well. I am an avid PBO observer, as you are. The fools will never learn. But I know that you know!
                I love you and think about you and your brother always Layla-Michelle

• 112 HZ
                  June 15, 2014 at 8:15 pm

I am fine, my dear precious angel. Yes, you are a most excellent and an avid keen observer. No, “the fools will never learn.” I just cannot wait until they all are left with their clowns hats turned upside down. It is sad when you allow your time spent on this earth to become music of foolishness that is your”‘Name Tag.” Poor fools.

My brother is doing great and his mind is always in a great place. I love him so much because he knows and even better he keeps me calm even when I want to tear out the little hair that I have left. He is calm, cool, brilliant, and loyal to all of us. I will thank him daily. He knows his calling and he takes both of them with great respect and humbleness. However, he is a force to not play around with. He is like our president. No time for silly crap.HZ

June 15, 2014 at 8:57 pm

Truth!

40. June 15, 2014 at 6:56 pm

Thank you, Chips and NerdyWonka. Thank you, Zizi, LiberalLibrarian, and all BTyrants. Thank you, TOD Family of commenting people who bring news. Ideas, greetings, insights, jokes, encouragement, prayers. And more. I cannot imagine how I would get by without ALL this Help from
    My Friends. Because of TOD I see the beautiful reality and truth of this time and place in history. The voices of sneer, lies, hypocrisy and greed are loud and highly skilled at creating ugliness and fear. But they are weak in comparison to those of truth, compassion, justice, integrity and love. You all help me vent and then let the stink bombs they throw fade into the sweet sunny atmosphere. Because of TOD I remember daily that our great mighty good brave strong President has got this; is on it; is surrounded by smart dedicated crew and warrior protectors, and is seen for who he is and loved, LOVED, by most of the people in the world. Because of TOD I know that this man has been idling, grinning, beaming, and laughing out loud since he was barely old enough to stand up. He knows he is good right and loved and he is surrounded by a dear family, and by the community of the world. As the great Bobfr says, Trust Barack . Right. Yes. Keep reminding me all day everyday TID. Bless all the Fathers here. Bless all those here whose health is a challenge. Comfort joy peace and laughing out loud to one and all

41. 119 Jovie