Jun

Rise and Shine: The Week at TOD

See the week’s videos here

Sunday

Early Bird Chat * Rise and Shine: The Week at TOD * Love is Love * Happy Birthday, Inspirational Woman! * A Walk in President Obama’s Shoes * A Tweet or Two

Monday

Early Bird Chat * Rise and Shine * “Our Phenomenal Mothers” by TOD’s HZ * President on Reducing the Burden of Student Loan Debt * President Welcomes UConn Basketball Teams to the White House * President Obama Reduces The Burden Of Student Loan Debt * UConn in the House! * Chat Away * Night Owl Chat: Cat Stevens

Tuesday

Early Bird Chat * Rise and Shine * Whistling Towards the Graveyard * America? Do Better * The President on Tumblr * Chat Away * Chat On * Cantor Humiliation Edition * Preliminary Thoughts on Cantor’s Loss * Night Owl Chat – Everything Wrong with Wolverine

Wednesday

Early Bird Chat * Rise and Shine * You Built That, Eric Cantor * President Obama’s Parting gifts to Cantor, for Old Times Sake * The President at Worcester Technical High School * The President at Worcester Technical High School, Part 2 * Worcester Technical High School * Night Owl Chat: Hugger-in-Chief

Thursday

Early Bird Chat * Rise and Shine * Next Up * 140 Characters = News UpdatePresident Obama Honors The Minnesota Lynx * Legend Meets LegendJohn McCain, Do You Think We Are Dumb? * A Tweet or Two

Friday

Early Bird Chat * Rise and ShinePresident Obama Delivers A Statement On Iraq * Some Truths about Iraq * President and First Lady visit Native Americans * President and First Lady visit Native Americans, Part 2 * “The Chief of all Chiefs is here” * A Beautiful Day * Chat Away

Saturday

Early Bird Chat * Rise and Shine: The Week Ahead * Chat Away * President Obama at UC Irvine * Chat Away * Laugh The Day Away *

Another wonderful week at TOD – huuuuuuge thanks to the legend that is Nerdy for all her brilliant work, and to Liberal Librarian and Zizi for their exquisite contributions!

Happy Father’s Day

128 Responses to “Rise and Shine: The Week at TOD”

1. 6 Layla
    June 15, 2014 at 9:54 am

Good morning all! Happy Father’s Day to all the dads out there! Somebody needs to wake vc up…

2. June 15, 2014 at 9:55 am

Happy Father’s Day everyone!

June 15, 2014 at 9:59 am

G’morning Chips, TOD, lurkers, everyone, and congrats Cindy on #1 :) Happy Father’s Day to all the TOD dads, grandpas, uncles, father-figures etc!! :) :)

4. 15 Cindy
    June 15, 2014 at 9:59 am

Good morning Chipsticks and Danny!
    Good morning TOD FAMILY!

HAPPY BEAUTIFUL SUNDAY TO EVERYONE!

HAPPY FATHER’S DAY TO THE TOD MEN;
    DADS, GRANDFATHERS, STAND-IN-FATHERS, STEP FATHERS, MENTORING FATHERS and all FATHERS.

Wishing you a day of relaxation and enjoyment with your family.

WISHING EVERYONE AN ENJOYABLE AND BLESSED SUNDAY!!!!

June 15, 2014 at 9:59 am

furst.

6. 19 99ts
    June 15, 2014 at 10:00 am

WOW – that was the week that was, thanks Ms Chips – have a great Sunday TODers – fab weekend in my world – grandbabes and friends and good food and wine! Not Father’s Day – we do that in September?? so I’m slightly confused but lots of love to all the fathers and grandfathers wherever they may be.

7. June 15, 2014 at 10:05 am

8. 23 Judith Fardig
    June 15, 2014 at 10:11 am

Congratulations to Cindy on first and to all the dads, grandpas, and other father figures in TOD land. Will dive into the recap when we get back from walking with our Senator Jeff Merkley in Portland’s Pride Parade. Love will win eventually everywhere.

• 24 Cindy
      June 15, 2014 at 10:19 am

Good morning and HAPPY BEAUTIFUL SUNDAY TO YOU Judith Fardig!
      THANK YOU!

Glad to have you back; hope you had a WONDERFUL and ENJOYABLE vacation.

Enjoy this GORGEOUS SUNDAY!!!!

• 25 Judith Fardig
        June 15, 2014 at 10:26 am

Thanks, Cindy! Our vacation was a lovely break from the US media. Will try to emulate your sunny, positive attitude as “normal” life resumes. Glad I have TOD to start my day with all the best Obama news!

9. June 15, 2014 at 10:14 am

Good morning and Happy Father’s Day to TOD! :)

10. 31 Cindy
    June 15, 2014 at 10:15 am

HAPPY BEAUTIFUL FATHER’S DAY TO OUR FABULOUS 3!

HAPPY FATHER’S DAY;

PRESIDENT BARACK H. OBAMA,
    VICE PRESIDENT JOE BIDEN and ATTORNEY GENERAL ERIC HOLDER.

May you forever be “Blessed Indeed.”

Thank you for the work that you do to make this world a better place for “all.”

11. 34 jackiegrumbacher
    June 15, 2014 at 10:16 am

Chips, I love the way you shut out all the bad this week and focused on the good. Any week with our president in the White House is a good week and it’s important that we always remember that. This is the day to focus on all the Father’s in our lives–those that we’ll never see again on this earth and those that are with us today. I was five years old when my father died and I still remember his loving presence in my life. So I honor him today and the wonderful husband who is a kind and caring father to our children. If it’s a grandfather or an uncle or a special friend or counselor who served the father’s role in our lives, it’s time to thank them for being there for us.

12. 35 sherijr
    June 15, 2014 at 10:19 am

good morning TOD ~ Happy Father’s Day :)

13. June 15, 2014 at 10:20 am

Thoroughly impressed with the layout of this post. Beautiful pics.

Wish I could have hung out here more often this week but I had chemo on Monday and was taking two naps a day. TWO! Jeebus! Before the cancer, a 15 minute nap would have ruined my sleep at night. Not anymore.

June 15, 2014 at 10:23 am

June 15, 2014 at 10:25 am

Greetings, O TOD fathers and father figures! May your day, and years ahead, be blessed!

June 15, 2014 at 10:27 am

Howdy doo, TODobots all! It’s sunny and cheerful looking outside – this day seems set to strut like a runway model – ENJOY!

16. June 15, 2014 at 10:35 am

Happy Father’s Day….to all the dads and to the men who mentor our children….you may not know what an impact you bring to their lives…

growing up my dad was absent in my life…. last year my dad past away without us really reconciling the past…..and now we never will…I urge all who may be estranged from their dad…to try and bridge the gap as best as you can…because once they are gone…all chance of reconciliation is gone as well…

17. 52 donna dem 4 obama
    June 15, 2014 at 10:36 am

18. June 15, 2014 at 10:36 am

Good Morning and Happy Father’s Day TOD! :-)

Love this video from FLOTUS in 2012

19. June 15, 2014 at 10:36 am

Casey Kasem has passed away. :(

20. 60 donna dem 4 obama
    June 15, 2014 at 10:37 am

Happy Father’s Day to all you TOD Dad’s. Have a wonderful day!

21. 63 donna dem 4 obama
    June 15, 2014 at 10:45 am

June 15, 2014 at 10:47 am

Chips-y-doodle, I just love the way you have been whittling down ‘The Week at TOD’ into more compact, easily accessible, excessively informative bits. You and your team are simply inspiring, dedicated, relentless, and lov – e – ly ‘blog professionals’, who are constantly (Don’t think we haven’t noticed) fine-tuning your presentation!

My rating >>>>> :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:
    ……………………. two thumbs up /can’t add visuals/
    …………………… oodles of selflessness vis a vis your personal time
    <3 <3 <3 Happy Father's (& BTs) Day! <3 <3 <3

23. 70 dotster3
    June 15, 2014 at 10:48 am

I cannot imagine a better dad than I had—–he made growing up fun, funny, exciting, interesting—–every day there was something going on. He had a great joie de vivre, which was contagious. And there wasn’t a day my sister and I did not feel the love and pride he felt for us. He lives on in almost daily mentions at our house and in all others in our fam—-fun remembrances are told and retold—his unique, amusing sayings are part of our every day conversations—-including with the grandkids and great grandkids now. He taught us all that there is always something to be happy about and to enjoy every day—-and laugh a lot. I was so fortunate.

24. June 15, 2014 at 10:50 am

25. 72 carolyn
    June 15, 2014 at 10:52 am

Good morning everyone! This has been an exciting week. I’m so thankful for every father of any degree…..they do a most important job.

My husband is a native Angeleno, so the home page on his computer is the L.A. Times. He told me the headline today was President Obama gets a standing ovation at UC Irvine…..good for them. People need to know that the negative stories about him are rigged……people do love him, and the oldsters are going to feel the quake of the “Obama generatio” Hooray!

Love to all of you. .

26. 73 donna dem 4 obama
    June 15, 2014 at 10:54 am

27. 76 Nena20409
    June 15, 2014 at 10:55 am

Happy Father’s Day to all our TOD Fathers. Wishing you all the best Life has to offer today and everyday.

28. 77 Nena20409
    June 15, 2014 at 10:56 am

Au for Cindy. Congrats.

• 78 Cindy
      June 15, 2014 at 11:07 am

HAPPY BEAUTIFUL SUNDAY Nena20409!
      Thank you much!!!

However, you spoiled me, so where is the “GOLD?” Come on, don’t hold back……waiting….waiting : )

29. 81 Nena20409
    June 15, 2014 at 11:02 am

<3 <3 <3 the new format of the Week At TOD. Perfect. Thanks.

The former gov of MT, Brian S. I don't get him these days. This guy was not a Romney supporter in 2012. I have no clue as to why he is doing what he is doing today. Restlessness? Attention? Crazy like a Fox? Mid-life Crisis? Envy? Whatever his beef, is not mentally well thought out.

BrianS is nobody's fool. I hope those who book as guest on MSNBC or elsewhere will ask him to explain himself.

• 82 Layla
      June 15, 2014 at 11:06 am

I think it is the ‘look at me syndrome’..many suffer from that lately

• June 15, 2014 at 11:07 am

I hope he’s doing this on purpose to goad Romeny into running. The Democrats may as well start planning another inauguration if that happens.

• 84 Nena20409
        June 15, 2014 at 11:24 am

As someone who studied Political Science…….and understands Dems’ inability in the last 30 plus years in US to mess up their political messaging Games…….I am suspect of BrianS as the mastermind of political Rovianism. I could be wrong. He won MT 2X and they cooked up the resignation of Sen Bacus(sp) and replaced him with the Lt Gov. …..hence, improving the chances of a Dem to retain the seat in Nov 2014.

I will hold my tongue for now…..and HOPE for the best.

• June 15, 2014 at 11:38 am

?

GM, Nena, good to see you.

Do you think that Schweitzer is a wolf in sheep’s clothing? That he’s a DINO who actually wants GOP victories?

Seems to me that he has national ambitions, but if he’s promoting R-money for President, he has alienated Dems who LOVE President Obama and doesn’t have a chance with Republicans unless he goes the despicable route of Miss Lindsey (who is describing PBO in terms that apply to Bush-Cheney — see my post elsewhere on this thread).

• 86 Nena20409
            June 15, 2014 at 11:47 am

Not at all Arapaho415. Up thread, I said that I was not sure what his political game is currently. Then derbingleguy’s comments prompted my last post before this one.

I am holding my tongue for now was my final comment on that post before this one.

• 87 Nena20409
      June 15, 2014 at 11:16 am

Book HIM….. :oops:

30. 88 dotster3
    June 15, 2014 at 11:07 am

Yes they are!

• 89 Nena20409
      June 15, 2014 at 11:27 am

Boston 2004 or Nov 2004?

10 years later, how their Lives and ours have changed.

Hope <3 Change, indeed

31. 90 Dudette
    June 15, 2014 at 11:08 am

June 15, 2014 at 11:16 am

My apologies for being so late with this weeks @Interior recap, but I couldn’t seem to find it. :oops:

33. 92 Dudette
    June 15, 2014 at 11:17 am

34. 93 JER
    June 15, 2014 at 11:17 am

35. 94 laraofzhivago
    June 15, 2014 at 11:20 am

Good Morning TODVille!

Happy Farther’s Day to all the fathers here! Have a wonderful day with your children and/or loved ones.

36. 95 dotster3
    June 15, 2014 at 11:21 am

I did like a couple of tidbits I heard on today’s Hillary interview—-on CBS Sunday Morning—-because they both involved this guy I admire named Barack Obama. She said at their first mtg. after their contentious—ahem—-primary—-when he was trying to convince her to take the Sec. of St. position, he told her, “Contrary to popular opinion, I think you and I are going to end up being great friends.” Now isn’t that just the most perfect thing to say in that situation? PBO always is able to say the exact right thing. And even when she said he called her off to the side at one mtg. and she thought it was going to be some big secret, serious discussion——-and he told her she had food stuck in her teeth. Haha—–saved her some embarrassment and something only a true friend would do.

• June 15, 2014 at 11:44 am

I like that. Thanks for sharing dotster.

• June 15, 2014 at 11:48 am

Love this story, a reminder of PBO’s empathy — he always puts himself in another person’s shoes.

Good Father’s Day to all of TODville, and thanks for introducing us to your Dad. I recall your description of how your parents met — good inspiration for a movie, told from your (or your childrens/grandchildrens’ perspective).

Thanks too for PrettyFoot’s thoughts about her father — TODville’s fathers represent the full spectrum of what it means to be a father — regret that PrettyFoot’s Father was unable to rejoice in her success, much as I regret the same for both of PBO’s parents.

37. 98 JER
    June 15, 2014 at 11:26 am

Good Morning Chips, TOD, and Happy Father’s Day to all of the Dads.

June 15, 2014 at 11:29 am

39. 103 anniebella
    June 15, 2014 at 11:32 am

Happy Father’s Day

40. June 15, 2014 at 11:33 am

GM, TODville:

I have missed so much here over the past two eventful weeks, and regret not seeing President Obama in North Dakota on Friday and at Irvine yesterday.

Am behind in the news as well, but things that make my blood boil, mid-June edition:

- WTH is going on with the “Romney for President” garbage being aired and promoted by the MSM/GOP?
    - Lindsey Graham said some despicable things about our President, which I heard on the radio this morning before I was fully awake… calling PBO stubborn, DELUSIONAL and some other adjectives that play to GOP base which sound like apt descriptions of Bush-Cheney, not PBO.

This article also mentions PBO’s recent on-foot trip to Starbucks (!!???!)

TODville, when did this happen? I need to TODville’s coverage of this “slice of life” event!

June 15, 2014 at 11:47 am

I’m glad POTUS and the family is able to go to California for the week-end. I can just imagine what it is like to be in that bubble.

• 106 joyfulmeme
      June 15, 2014 at 11:55 am

The comments from the above article are appalling. Was Bush lamented this way? I have to admit I never paid attention to any president until this one.

• June 15, 2014 at 12:04 pm

OMGosh, didn’t look at the comments and don’t intend to now.

The last thing I want to do is bring any PBO-bashing to this wonderful place that I’ve been deprived of due to my personal schedule the last three weeks (all good for me!).

I brought this over because I love the idea of PBO getting some quality alone time with BO — just the guys enjoying DC sultry summer evenings.

41. June 15, 2014 at 11:38 am

• June 15, 2014 at 12:00 pm

GM, Tally!

If you listen to @knx1070 news radio, you would have heard some interviews they did with UC Irvine grads complaining — the very essence of myopic self-absorption that Orange County is famous for (I grew up in the San Diego area and have always shunned Orange County — I don’t even like driving though it — to me it represents the worst of California — I know there are people in TODville from Orange County and truly mean no offense to you — it’s a visceral, ingrained reaction for me — there are wonderfully generous people everywhere, including Orange County, but they are the exception, unfortunately).

One girl whined that she was entitled to balloons at graduation, another male graduate said he disagreed with PBO but conceded it was an honor to have PBO deliver his class’ commencement address — unfortunate that this student is so closed-minded and greed-driven at the age when you should be the most open-minded ever. How can you disagree with PBO’s consistent message of fairness for ALL Americans, unless you’re a self-absorbed greedy jerk?

June 15, 2014 at 11:40 am

Coming down the thread I was reminded of my favourite old Father’s Day ad – gets me chuckling every time. :)

43. 115 isonprize
    June 15, 2014 at 11:40 am

Happy Father’s Day to all TOD Dads, Step-Dads, Pop-pops, Uncles, Brothers, all around good men who care about children. We need you every day!!

44. 116 Dudette
    June 15, 2014 at 11:51 am

45. 117 Nena20409
    June 15, 2014 at 11:54 am

Wow! Seriously? This how MUCH Football means to these Competitors in Brasil.

Drones: is there anything they can’t do legally?

Apparently they can spy on soccer practices. That’s, at least, what France’s soccer team told Fifa, after the team spotted a drone hovering above its practice in Ribeirão Preto, ahead of its game against Honduras. Though the players found the little bugger amusing, France’s coach Didier Deschamps believed the drone to have been spying on the team’s preparations.

46. June 15, 2014 at 11:55 am

Happy Father’s Day!

Congrats on 1st Cindy!!

Outstanding R&S, Chips. Thank you!!!

• 119 Cindy
      June 15, 2014 at 12:00 pm

HAPPY BEAUTIFUL SUNDAY MR. BOBFR!

THANK YOU MUCH!!

IF YOU ARE CELEBRATING FATHER’S DAY…..I HOPE IT’S AWESOME.

47. 120 Dudette
    June 15, 2014 at 11:58 am

48. June 15, 2014 at 12:03 pm

Surprisingly, a number of folk actually know exactly whom to blame. Perhaps this was posted earlier but I wanted to be sure everyone had this as a reference for just how substantial and lasting the lethal consequences of GWB and his gang of war criminals.

“Bush’s toxic legacy in Iraq
    By Peter Bergen

(CNN) — ISIS, the brutal insurgent/terrorist group formerly known as al Qaeda in Iraq, has seized much of western and northern Iraq and even threatens towns not far from Baghdad.

From where did ISIS spring? One of George W. Bush’s most toxic legacies is the introduction of al Qaeda into Iraq, which is the ISIS mother ship.

If this wasn’t so tragic it would be supremely ironic, because before the U.S. invasion of Iraq in 2003, top Bush officials were insisting that there was an al Qaeda-Iraq axis of evil. Their claims that Saddam Hussein’s men were training members of al Qaeda how to make weapons of mass destruction seemed to be one of the most compelling rationales for the impending war.

After the fall of Hussein’s regime, no documents were unearthed in Iraq proving the Hussein-al Qaeda axis despite the fact that, like other totalitarian regimes, Hussein’s government kept massive and meticulous records. The U.S. Defense Intelligence Agency had by 2006 translated 34 million pages of documents from Hussein’s Iraq and found there was nothing to substantiate a “partnership” between Hussein and al Qaeda.”

More at the link: http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/13/opinion/bergen-iraq-isis-bush/

• June 15, 2014 at 12:10 pm

“Misguided US invasion spawned crisis in Iraq: analysts
      AFP
      By Dan De Luce

Washington (AFP) – The rise of Al-Qaeda-linked militants in Iraq can be traced to America’s invasion of the country more than a decade ago, as it left a power vacuum and unleashed sectarian bloodletting, experts said Friday.

With television footage of Sunni extremists sweeping across Iraq this week, critics of former president George W. Bush’s decision to invade in 2003 said the onslaught offered yet more proof of the war’s disastrous fallout.

Neoconservatives who backed Bush’s decision touted the war as a way to build a model for democracy in the Middle East. Instead, it has fueled an explosive Sunni-Shiite divide that is still sending shockwaves through the region, experts said.

For University of Michigan history professor Juan Cole, events in Iraq are “an indictment of the George W. Bush administration, which falsely said it was going into Iraq because of a connection between Al-Qaeda and Baghdad.”

“There was none,” said Cole, an outspoken opponent of the invasion.”

More at the link: http://news.yahoo.com/misguided-us-invasion-spawned-crisis-iraq-analysts-114839461.html

• June 15, 2014 at 12:17 pm

GM Bobfr, have missed most of your recent posts the past couple of weeks (and everyone else’s too), but it’s shameful that the warmongering MSM is chomping at the bit for intervention in Iraq.

As part of the Vietnam generation, I have always been antiwar, but September 11th changed the equation for many patriotic Americans.

It’s beyond infuriating that Bush-Cheney manipulated the heartfelt shock and anger at that attack against our country into a disastrous invasion against a country and its people who had nothing to do with that horrific attack.

And today’s treasonous MSM wants to rinse and repeat.

@knx1070 (CBS news radio) aired interviews with an Iraqi war veteran (Navy corpsman) who lost a leg and two buddies in Iraq during 2006 who said that the current chaos was predictable and not worth the loss to him and this country.

This is the type of reporting that should counterbalance the loathsome soundbites from BFF’s Lindsey Graham and McCain.

49. 125 Dudette
    June 15, 2014 at 12:07 pm

50. 127 Nena20409
    June 15, 2014 at 12:20 pm

A Liar, A Loser and now, a Joke seeking attention spouting fed sound bites for TV/Cablers.

That is who the lying bishop, Willard Mitterrand Romney has become. MTP’s DavidG has too. So two of a kind, my friends.

51. June 15, 2014 at 1:24 pm

Happy Father’s Day to all the men handling their business.

RSS OFA