Jun

Rise and Shine

On This Day: President Barack Obama greets hospital workers while visiting wounded service members at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington, D.C., June 17, 2011 (Photo by Pete Souza)

Today (all times Eastern)

10:50: The President departs the White House

12:0: Arrives Pittsburgh

1:25: Tours TechShop Pittsburgh

1:45: Delivers remarks and answers questions, TechShop

3:25: Departs Pittsburgh

4:35: Arrives New York City

5:25: Attends a fundraiser for Senate Democrats, Intercontinental Hotel, New York

8:05: Delivers remarks at a DNC LGBT fundraiser, Gotham Hall, New York City

9:0: Attends a DNC fundraiser, private residence, New York City

10:40: Departs New York

11:50: Arrives White House

President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama exit Marine One on the White House South Lawn following a trip to California, June 16, 2014 (Photo by Pete Souza)

The Week Ahead

Wednesday: The President will host the first ever White House Maker Faire and meet with students, entrepreneurs and everyday citizens who are using new tools and techniques to launch new businesses, learn vital skills in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM), and fuel the renaissance in American manufacturing.

Thursday: The President will award Corporal William “Kyle” Carpenter, U.S. Marine Corps (Ret.), the Medal of Honor for conspicuous gallantry.

Friday: The President will meet with Prime Minister John Key of New Zealand.

TPM: Dem Rep.: The Media Should Stop Consulting John McCain On Iraq

One Democratic congressman who voted against authorizing the Iraq War in 2002 believes the media should stop turning to Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) for analysis of the current situation in Iraq.

On Monday’s “All In,” MSNBC host Chris Hayes asked Rep. Gregory Meeks (D-NY) if he’d gotten many requests to do TV spots lately considering that he took a “tough vote” against the Iraq War. Meeks hadn’t.

“Which amazes me why each and every time they go right to John McCain,” Meeks told Hayes. “I don’t know when John McCain has had it right. Thank God the American people were smart enough not to elect him president of the United States.”

“Why does the news media go to John McCain to ask him any time there’s anything happening because you know he’s going to be, ‘go to war, send troops,'” he added. “It just doesn’t make sense.”

More here

ThinkProgress: The People Who Broke Iraq Have A Lot of Ideas About Fixing It Now

The crisis in Iraq has reached a critical point, as the Obama administration debates how to stop the Islamic State in Iraq and Greater Syria (ISIS) — also known as the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) — in its conquest of Iraqi cities and villages. All U.S. forces left Iraq in late 2011, the result of the Iraqis not wanting to extend the terms of the status of forces agreement that dictated how American troops could operate. That marked the end of a war that lasted nearly a decade in which a well-documented campaign to push for war against Saddam Hussein drowned out any criticism ahead of the launch of combat operations.

Now, those same architects are invited to write op-eds, speak on television panels, and generally give their opinion on today’s Iraq with little to no pushback on just how wrong they got it a decade ago. The situation as it stands in Iraq is not the same as in 2003 and the administration is now considering air strikes to slow the progress of ISIS. But so as to not allow the ones who broke Iraq in the first place to go entirely unchallenged, here are some of the top advocates for launching the war in 2003 — along with their misleading statements and incorrect predictions — and what they have to say about Iraq now.

More here

BBC: Who are the ISIS militants? James Robbins explains

The Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIS) is a jihadist group active in Iraq and Syria.

ISIS was formed in April 2013 and grew out of al-Qaeda in Iraq (AQI). It has since been disavowed by al-Qaeda, but become one of the main jihadist groups fighting government forces in Syria and is making military gains in Iraq.

The final “S” in the acronym ISIS stems from the Arabic word “al-Sham”. This can mean the Levant, Syria or even Damascus but in the context of the global jihad it refers to the Levant.

Its precise size is unclear but it is thought to include thousands of fighters, including many foreign jihadists. Correspondents say it appears to be surpassing al-Qaeda as the world’s most dangerous jihadist group.

More here

Charles Pierce: Open For Business

The Guardian has a solid rundown of the history of Isis, the current Hitlers against whom Huckleberry Butchmeup is hiding under the bed and on whom John McCain would like to make the big boom-boom. These seem to be authentically bad actors who, alas, were empowered at least in part by the dynamics of the clusterfck we unleashed in Iraq for the purpose of finding nuclear bombs, democracy, candy and/or flowers.

…. yes, it’s perfectly fine to remember back when the clusterfck was first beginning, and we tore down Saddam’s statue for a photo op, and then proceeded to let Baghdad descend into a chaos of violence and looting. One place that got looted was the Iraqi National Museum, and 170,000 pieces got lifted, never to be recovered. (We kept the oil ministry safe, however.) And Donald Rumsfeld, riding high as the prince of fools, said by way of explanation, “Freedom’s untidy.”

By all means, let’s listen to these people again.

Full post here

Steve Benen: The crumbling of the right’s intellectual infrastructure

Even before the event began yesterday, the Heritage Foundation’s latest session about Benghazi was obviously ill-advised.  The gathering was organized in part by a birther conspiracy theorist who believes President Obama supports Sharia law, with a panel of guests who were slightly nuttier than their host.

Nothing good or constructive was likely to follow. But as Dana Milbank discovered, Heritage’s event took an obnoxious turn that included “the ugly taunting of a woman in the room who wore an Islamic head covering.”

More here

Washington Post: Obama will propose vast expansion of Pacific Ocean marine sanctuary

President Obama on Tuesday will announce his intent to make a broad swath of the central Pacific Ocean off-limits to fishing, energy exploration and other activities, according to senior White House officials.

The proposal, slated to go into effect later this year after a comment period, could create the world’s largest marine sanctuary and double the area of ocean globally that is fully protected.

More here

Woot!

On This Day

President Obama signs the Federal Benefits & Non-Discrimination memorandum in the Oval Office, June 17, 2009. The Presidential Memorandum extends benefits to same-sex domestic partners of federal employees (Photo by Pete Souza)

President Obama addresses the audience at a Financial Regulatory Reform announcement in the East Room of the White House, June 17, 2009 (Photo by Pete Souza)

President Obama is briefed on response to the BP oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, during a meeting in the Rose Garden of the White House, June 17, 2010 (Photo by Pete Souza)

President Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama greet audience members following the President’s remarks at the Belfast Waterfront Convention Center in Belfast, Northern Ireland, June 17, 2013 (Photo by Pete Souza)

President Obama and Prime Minister David Cameron of the United Kingdom talk during the G8 Summit at the Lough Erne Resort in Enniskillen, Northern Ireland, June 17, 2013 (Photo by Pete Souza)

President Obama talks with housekeeping staff outside of a lodge at the Lough Erne Resort during the G8 Summit in Enniskillen, Northern Ireland, June 17, 2013 (Photo by Pete Souza)

Russia’s President Vladimir Putin, Britain’s Prime Minister David Cameron and President Obama stand for the ‘family’ group photograph at the G8 venue of Lough Erne on June 18, 2013 in Enniskillen, Northern Ireland

President Obama walks with Caroline Atkinson, Special Assistant to the President for International Economic Affairs, on the grounds of Lough Erne Resort during the G8 Summit in Enniskillen, Northern Ireland, June 17, 2013 (Photo by Pete Souza)

Mooooooorning everyone – I’m a bit short of time these mornings, so my R&Ss are going to be kinda short – would huuuugely appreciate you all (as you always do!) adding links in the comments to news worth sharing. Thank you!

161 Responses to “Rise and Shine”

• June 17, 2014 at 9:39 am

Morning Cindy, morning everyone.

• 3 Cindy
        June 17, 2014 at 9:53 am

Beautiful pictures Chipsticks, thank you for the round up of news. FLOTUS is absolutely gorgeous.

Ahhhhh……..we are so blessed to have our BEAUTIFUL First Family.

We love you President Obama and Mrs. Obama. We got you!!!

• 4 Judith Fardig
      June 17, 2014 at 11:15 am

Nice to see you in first place, Cindy!

• 5 SUE DUVALL SMITH
        June 17, 2014 at 11:48 am

FYI…THE WH NEEDS TO CLIMB ALL OVER THIS…CELEBRITY MAGS. RUNNING PIX OF PBO SMOOSHING OTHER WOMEN WITH HEADLINES…MICHELLE TO DIVORCE PRESIDENT…THIS IS A CONSTANT…AND THEY NEED TO STOP IT…YOU CAN FIND THEM AT THE WAL-MART CHECK-OUTS EVERY WEEK. THESE PEOPLE NEED TO BE STOPPED…YOU DON’T DO THIS TO THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES.

• 6 Cindy
          June 17, 2014 at 11:57 am

Hi SUE DUVAL SMITH!
          HAPPY BEAUTIFUL TUESDAY TO YOU!!!

Several of us here discussed this a few weeks back. It’s really shameful; unflattering pictures of Mrs. Obama, always with her mouth opened wide and face all twisted up. I hate this and it’s weekly. The new Enquirer is out this week with another one; saying that Mrs. Obama is against the President actions with Iraq and that she even wants him to send soldiers in.

They are all over Publix super markets; isle after isle, positioned for you to see as soon as you get in line. I watched yesterday and sure enough, it grabs the attention of shoppers.

Absolutely disgusting how they portray this family, and it’s no secret as to what motivates the hatred.

• 7 Cindy
            June 17, 2014 at 12:02 pm

That was my question several weeks ago; can something be done about this? They had a picture of him (appeared to be doctored) kissing Caroline Kennedy and Mrs. Obama screaming (mouth opened); stating that Mrs. Obama is asking for a divorce because of his infidelity. This should be stopped.

• 8 SUE DUVALL SMITH
              June 17, 2014 at 2:41 pm

THIS NEEDS TO BE STOPPED…IF CELEBRITIES CAN SUE OVER THIS GARBAGE…THE WHITEHOUSE CAN PUT IT OUT ON THE CURB WHERE IT BELONGS! THEJUSTICE DEPT. NEEDS TO LOOK AT THIS.

• 9 HZ
                June 17, 2014 at 5:28 pm

SUE,do not let them upset you. We need you, and I will do anything in my power to make sure I help keep your spirit in a space that this crap will not upset you. I only see it when I have to run in and get limited items that I cannot get at my Trader Joe’s and Sprouts; otherwise I always say out rather calmly but at a decibel where the people in line can hear me:” This is a bunch of lies, and it is sad that we have to see this crap as we check out. And it is sad that we have come to accept these crap papers in our markets when there are real serious issues we can focus on as citizens of this nation.” Sometimes, I get the free-speech lectures, but I get my voice heard as well. Then I say to them,”Well we both just got to exercise our ‘Freedom of Speech.’ You have a wonderful day.”

My items are so few, so I tend to use the self check out where I do not have to see the crap. I know my manager of my local store, and when he is in, I always ask how they come up with their policy to have those papers right at the check out stands rather than just put all of the crap and magazines down the isles as a shopping magazine section just like the food. He never has a good answer.

But crowding the self check out, they get my message. Then some stores will do online shopping and delivery right at your door, and a group of my friends do that since they can’t seem to have the crap papers placed in another part of the store.

One thing I do know is that it does make the blood boil inside. The DOJ has its hands full, and I know that for a fact. In fact, they have so many vacancies for positions in several departments right now it is so unreal. However, it does not reflect on AG Holder. They just have been so busy doing so many things that the previous administration had left in such a crap pile; it will take many, many attorneys to fill the positions in various department. So many departments had been just plain sitting on their asses and not doing the work of the people. True. Plus we have never had such a brilliant, and fair president before to who has put into place many deep concerns in the DOJ that never has been addressed before. I have nothing but love for our AG and the loyal and good hard working people who are daily working on our behalf. Believe me their plates are very full.

But Sue, my beautiful heart, trust me, PBO is not guilty of any of this shit. Trust me on this one. And FLOTUS does not even give it a space within her life because she knows PBO and his commitment to himself, her, their two beautiful daughters and his presidency. And FLOTUS would not put up with the crap at any point. So please for me, my beautiful angel, do not let it get your pressure up, but let your voice be heard to the managers in these stores and tell all of your friends who frequent these stores to do the same while you are in these stores. Believe me, they do not like to hear our voices. But do not let it hit you in ways that will upset you. Ok, promise. {{{{{{{{{ Love you, Sue}}}}}}}}}HZ

• 10 Cindy
        June 17, 2014 at 11:51 am

THANK YOU Judith Fardig!

Hope that you are having a very WONDERFUL Tuesday-ENJOY!!!

1. 11 Cindy
    June 17, 2014 at 9:40 am

HAPPY BEAUTIFUL TUESDAY MORNING CHIPSTICKS, DANNY AND TOD FAMILY!

I hope that everyone is starting off on a good note. Very rainy in the sunshine state.

Don’t forget to count your blessings today and share some with those less fortunate.

Wishing everyone a very BEAUTIFUL and SPENDID DAY!!

P.S. Chipsticks, here’s a solution for the hair. I say; go old school and bring back the Afro, I wore it for years : )

June 17, 2014 at 9:42 am

furst.

p.s – No hairy / hair raising photos, please.

• 13 amk for obama
      June 17, 2014 at 9:47 am

beat you to it. Ha.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• June 17, 2014 at 9:48 am

Egg sackly. Except, as you know, my hair is green.

• 15 Linda
          June 17, 2014 at 10:00 am

That is my hair too….only grey and waist length……

Needless to say, it is up in a bun all the time

• June 17, 2014 at 10:03 am

:-) A bun may be my only option now Linda – well, until I can buy a new one!

June 17, 2014 at 10:30 am

Where *do* you live anyway, ChipsChica? I mean, just walk down to the corner MACs/mom and pop store and get yourself a new brush. Jeez, DannyO would love the outing and the chance to investigate the 1-2 packed-with-goodies aisles usually found in such a place. You both would end up so happy – you’d have a new brush and he’d have seen lots of potential indestructible toys. Go for it!

• 21 Jovie
        June 17, 2014 at 9:56 am

Looks like a twisted sister . Remember that musician group?

• June 17, 2014 at 9:47 am

Funny you should say that Mister – I saw a reflection of my hair on the wall this morning and it looked like I had the McDonald’s M on my head – if I can recreate the moment I’ll post the pic, if you’re good. Hope your travels were smooth!

June 17, 2014 at 10:25 am

Howdy, Amk. Glad to see you’ve landed safely.
      I’m curious about your being ‘furst’ so often and the fact that your ‘furst’ position flexes in the village – is engineering math different from regular math?

3. 36 Jovie
    June 17, 2014 at 9:46 am

4. 37 jackiegrumbacher
    June 17, 2014 at 9:48 am

Terrific R&S, Chips. Isn’t the president supposed to give a statement on Iraq this morning? Or, did I misread that?

5. June 17, 2014 at 9:50 am

Good morning TOD. Love that first photo.

6. 40 Jovie
    June 17, 2014 at 9:54 am

McCain got to talk to COS last night, told him to fire everybody and hire Petreas.
    Why the fuck would McDonough want to talk to him?
    What gives in the beltway with John McCain?

June 17, 2014 at 10:00 am

That’s it! I am voting to have the morning posts uploaded at specific times so we can know when to be alert! ………… Anyone voting with me?…………No? You all are comfortable with wandering through the last post, oblivious to the rest of the gang moving on? You are? O. kay. Fine. Be that way.

O, and Cindy, sharp ears and eyes on your part! Way to go! :grin:

June 17, 2014 at 10:04 am

G’morning Chips, TOD, lurkers, everyone and congrats Cindy on #1 :)

Happy Tuesday everyone. Thanks Chips for this wonderful R & S roundup, as always. Looking forward to hearing/seeing my President later today!

9. 48 africa
    June 17, 2014 at 10:11 am

YIKES. Heritage Foundation.

• 49 japa21
      June 17, 2014 at 10:42 am

Pierce has a lengthy column on it. He starts out:

Once upon a time, the Heritage Foundation was a respectable wingnut welfare idea factory dedicated to catapulting really bad notions into the national dialogue in as dignified a fashion as is possible for such an endeavor. Then Jim DeMint happened to it. Eh, voila!

Then finished it with:

Used to be that the Heritage folks would keep the real attack loons at arm’s length. Turns out, however, that the attack loons are really all they have left.

10. 50 Jovie
    June 17, 2014 at 10:14 am

How do you drink coffee in zero G?

11. June 17, 2014 at 10:17 am

June 17, 2014 at 10:23 am

13. 66 japa21
    June 17, 2014 at 10:30 am

GM all.

Lot’s of discussion on Iraq, as well there should be. But before we all get carried away, there are two rules that must be followed.

1. Ignore anything coming out of the mouths of anyone who was involved in the actual run-up to the 2003 invasion, including, if not specially, John McCain.

2, Try to get actual facts on the situation, which requires, of course, Rule number 1.

There is a good post over at BJ on ISIS. I don’t know just how accurate it is, but I have a feeling it is more accurate than much of the stuff you are reading. Significant quotes:

… ISIS is a sectarian Sunni militia—that’s all. A big one, as militias go, with something like 10,000 fighters. Most of them are Iraqi, a few are Syrian, and a few hundred are those famous “European jihadis” who draw press attention out of all relation to their negligible combat value. The real strength of ISIS comes from its Chechen fighters, up to a thousand of them. A thousand Chechens is a serious force, and a terrifying one if they’re bearing down on your neighborhood. Chechens are the scariest fighters, pound-for-pound, in the world. …

That’s a real but very limited amount of combat power. What this means is that, no matter how many scare headlines you read, ISIS will never take Baghdad, let alone Shia cities to the south like Karbala. It won’t be able to dent the Kurds’ territory to the north, either. All it can do—all it has been doing, by moving into Sunni cities like Mosul and Tikrit—is to complete the partition of Iraq begun by our dear ex-president Bush in 2003. By crushing Saddam’s Sunni-led Iraq, the Americans made partition inevitable. …

ISIS has always been good at generating scary stories about itself, like the notion that it was kicked out of Al Qaeda for being “too extreme.” It’s true that ISIS has a beef with Zawahiri, the nominal head of Al Qaeda, but the issue isn’t extremism. Their quarrel was a turf war about who would get the Al Qaeda franchise in Syria, and it just showed ISIS’s most pronounced characteristic in action: A real knack for moving in on vulnerable turf.

14. 69 Jovie
    June 17, 2014 at 10:33 am

Don’t you remember?

• 70 Linda
      June 17, 2014 at 11:09 am

CNN had a special on it last Friday evening.

• 71 LDS
        June 17, 2014 at 8:15 pm

His own daughter says that he is innocent. She and the family visits him regularly.
        The love/hate relationship some Americans had for this man was unbelievable.

15. June 17, 2014 at 10:35 am

SO gorgeous:

16. 79 Jovie
    June 17, 2014 at 10:40 am

June 17, 2014 at 10:43 am

I’m waiting for Chuck Todd to come out with a poll showing the opposite, in 4…3…2…1…

18. 81 Jovie
    June 17, 2014 at 10:45 am

• 82 japa21
      June 17, 2014 at 10:47 am

This is major. They have made several short term, somewhat desultory attempts in the past. I think the fact that we have taken out a lot of the leaders gives Pakistan the sense they will have more success this time.

Plus, I have read that a lot of the locals are getting fed up with the Taliban.

• 84 amk for obama
      June 17, 2014 at 11:18 am

All they had to do is to ban their terrorist friendly ISI. ISI thought they will unleash the monster against us and now it is eating them alive. Just like the teahadists and gop.

19. 85 Linda
    June 17, 2014 at 10:47 am

Julian Castro hearing for HUD Secretary are on cspan3.

20. 86 Jovie
    June 17, 2014 at 10:59 am

21. 87 Ladyhawke
    June 17, 2014 at 11:00 am

LOLGOP @LOLGOP · 1h

It’s too bad that having been right in opposing the Iraq War completely disqualifies you from appearing on cable TV.

22. 88 kathleenp444
    June 17, 2014 at 11:01 am

Well, I heard at the top of Good Morning America that PBO was preparing a statement on Iraq – they seemed to imply it was coming up. Still no statement, sooo, apologies if the heads-up from last post was wrong.

23. 89 57andfemale
    June 17, 2014 at 11:01 am

I think it was the wonderful Joe Wilson who said in the lead-up to Bush’s Disaster: “There are 100 factions in Iraq that have one thing in common: they all hate each other.”

24. June 17, 2014 at 11:05 am

The Republicans and media really want to get their Iraq war back on. Also, I am really tired of the way they keep trying to simplify every international conflict so that they can pretend to understand.

25. 91 Linda
    June 17, 2014 at 11:07 am

Lawrence B. “Larry” Wilkerson is a retired United States Army Colonel and former chief of staff to United States Secretary of State Colin Powell.

I want to hear what Larry has to say….

26. 92 JER
    June 17, 2014 at 11:17 am

LIVE NOW: President Obama departs for Pittsburgh – http://www.cbsnews.com/liveFeed/widget.shtml

27. June 17, 2014 at 11:18 am

NC GOP Senate candidate: Blacks, Hispanics overtaking ‘traditional population’

By David Edwards
    Tuesday, June 17, 2014 8:32 EDT

Republican U.S. Senate candidate from North Carolina Thom Tillis complained in 2012 that the “traditional” population in his state was not growing, unlike African-American and Hispanic populations.

During a 2012 interview that was uncovered by Talking Points Memo this week, Carolina Business Review host Chris William asked Tillis why Hispanics that voted for President George W. Bush were not supporting then-nominee Mitt Romney.

Tillis argued that the change was less about the GOP message, and more about shifting demographics in the United States.

28. 94 Linda
    June 17, 2014 at 11:23 am

The Iraq War – TOTAL LIES and TOTAL PROOF

29. 95 Nena20409
    June 17, 2014 at 11:23 am

Great Sunny Tuesday Morning from the state with 15K plus lakes ;)

Au for Roberta in MN. :star: is much deserving.

I am still Thrilled for Team USA in Brasil! Congrats.

Newsy R&S from our Proprietor, Lady Chips :) Thank you!

30. 96 Nena20409
    June 17, 2014 at 11:26 am

NC, senator Hagan has a great chance of retaining her senatorial seat.

The current GOP candidate said in 2012/2013 that Only White were the traditional Americans in NC and USA. Blacks and Hispanics were not. I am paraphrasing.
    TPM has a piece on this, their front page. Here’s video…..quite long. I have not watched it yet.

31. 97 Nena20409
    June 17, 2014 at 11:29 am

Col. Morris Davis @ColMorrisDavis · 2h
    .@chucktodd: “Thanks Paul Wolfowitz. Next on @dailyrundown Kim Kardashian discusses the importance of education & hard work in her success.”

This Col Davis has a lot to say……I kind of like some of his tweets.

June 17, 2014 at 11:29 am

Is this accurate…haven’t seen/heard anything besides this tweet.

June 17, 2014 at 11:30 am

Okay… :) :) Good news!

• 100 Nena20409
        June 17, 2014 at 11:40 am

It too almost 10 yrs and OBL is now swimming… :oops: is now, Food for the fishes in some salty sea!

Now one by one, these Benghazi ringleaders will find JUSTICE as only our Special Forces can deliver!

33. 101 No Child Left Behind
    June 17, 2014 at 11:31 am

Good Morning TODVille!

A good piece of news:

U.S. captures Benghazi suspect in secret raid

U.S. Special Operations forces have captured the alleged ringleader of the terrorist attacks in Benghazi in a secret raid in Libya, the first time one of the accused perpetrators of the 2012 assault has been apprehended, according to U.S. officials.

The officials said Ahmed Abu Khattala was captured over the weekend by American troops working alongside the FBI and is now in U.S. custody “in a secure location outside Libya.” Khattala was apprehended near Benghazi.

34. 110 Nena20409
    June 17, 2014 at 11:37 am

The Tweet from Igor, the guy from Think Progress on CNN’s Coumo was Not Correctly done with context. I saw part of the interview and Mr Neo-Con Wolfworwitz(sp) was spinning and when pinned down, would not answer questions. He would accuse and attack in a low tone voice and Chris Coumo was saying that wisdom and whatever…..knowing all the mistakes in the past…….he should acknowledge, accept responsibility and perhaps, have thought things through…….in making better judgement……applicable today in Iraq.

Mr Coumo was not letting the Neo-Con off as many in the media have done in 2002.

June 17, 2014 at 11:40 am

Heh! PBO played golf over the weekend…I had forgotten ALL about that…

36. 116 57andfemale
    June 17, 2014 at 11:42 am

So OT but a cute Kasper story (my bichon/maltese mix):

We store our massive library of work-related books on our sun porch. I went out there to look for a book and yelled at Kasper to get the hell out of there. He loves to ‘explore’, tear up paper, and of course be on The Hunt for our humongous stash of dog toys we store out there. I had to go back and he tried to hide under the bookcase but I caught him – , cute black nose sticking out of one side, and his plume of a white tail sticking out the other side. A half an hour later I had to go back, and he hid under the chair, lying in wait for me to leave. He gave himself away when he poked his nose out to see if the coast was clear.

• 117 amk for obama
      June 17, 2014 at 11:52 am

kasper wants to well read by digesting knowledge, what’s wrong with that?

• 118 57andfemale
        June 17, 2014 at 12:43 pm

I just panicked because I couldn’t find him – anywhere. I thought I’d left him outside in the heat and he has fur that is like a sauna.

Then I saw the pile of toys moving – he had gone and hid in the pile of dog toys and was taunting me by not coming when he was called, despite my obvious panic. Mr. 57 calls him once, and out he comes.

• 121 Layla
      June 17, 2014 at 11:54 am

Awwww 57! Sweetness right there!!!!

• 122 57andfemale
        June 17, 2014 at 12:44 pm

He just buried himself in a pile of toys and taunted me when I couldn’t find him! Don’t appreciate being outsmarted by 17 pounds of white fluff!

June 17, 2014 at 11:48 am

Yes, our President’s golf games are taking on a persona of their own…

June 17, 2014 at 11:50 am

June 17, 2014 at 11:55 am

• 129 Nena20409
      June 17, 2014 at 12:12 pm

You are Killing it Mr Engineer man ;)

I just lost it knowing how fluffy the Von Knoller is…… :)

June 17, 2014 at 11:57 am

That pic is HAWT…paging Mr. Yardarm with my naught mat.

June 17, 2014 at 1:00 pm

I like how we all turn ourselves in WHILE saying how HAWT the pic is. Ha. Gorgeous President!!!!

41. June 17, 2014 at 11:57 am

42. 137 Linda
    June 17, 2014 at 11:57 am

CNN is so exited about this capture……they cannot wait for today’s townhall with Hillary Clinton so she can talk about it.

June 17, 2014 at 12:02 pm

June 17, 2014 at 12:05 pm

45. 146 Nena20409
    June 17, 2014 at 12:06 pm

Hagan lead up to 5 with unpopular legislature in session

PPP’s new North Carolina poll finds Kay Hagan with her largest lead for reelection since September. She leads by 5 points with 39% to 34% for Thom Tillis and 11% for Libertarian Sean Haugh. When Haugh’s supporters say which of the major party candidates they’d choose if they had to pick, Hagan leads 42/38.

Hagan’s expanded lead is likely a function of the General Assembly being in session- over the last year and a half her leads have always been the largest when the legislature and Thom Tillis’ role at the helm of it has been most in the news. Only 18% of voters approve of the job the General Assembly is doing to 54% who disapprove. Perhaps as an extension of that, Tillis has just a 23% favorability rating with 45% of voters rating him unfavorably.

46. 147 japa21
    June 17, 2014 at 12:06 pm

47. 148 Nena20409
    June 17, 2014 at 12:10 pm

:lol: :roll: :lol: You’ve gotta Love these wicked Idiots :lol: :roll: :lol:

Eric Boehlert @EricBoehlert · 17s
    Fox talkers: “timing of #Benghazi capture is “too neat and too cute.” what’s “the political motivation”?? um, justice for dead Americans?

48. 149 japa21
    June 17, 2014 at 12:10 pm

• 150 Nena20409
      June 17, 2014 at 12:16 pm

Using your Tweet…..PBO got OBL in 2 yrs too.
      2009-2011.
      Benghazi Ringleader……2012-2014.

2 Terms in Office ;) 2 Lovely Kids. 2 Dogs. Hmm?

49. 152 Linda
    June 17, 2014 at 12:12 pm

Andrea Mitchell brings on Ryan Crocker who now works at the ” Bush school of Government ” to discuss Iraq ?

June 17, 2014 at 12:22 pm

51. 161 Nena20409
    June 17, 2014 at 12:26 pm

If I am not mistaken, isn’t this Benghazi Ringleader the number two now caught since We lost the 4 men on 9-11-12? I thought there was another one pick up last year too?

WTG Special Forces. Thank You. Thank you PBO.