Jun

ObamaCare: Signed. Sealed. Delivering.

Supreme Court Upholds Obama's Affordable Care Act

Sara Kliff: Survey: 57 Percent Of Obamacare Enrollees Were Previously Uninsured

A slim majority of Obamacare’s private insurance enrollees were uninsured when they signed up for coverage, a new survey from the Kaiser Family Foundation finds. Obamacare opponents have regularly argued that most enrollees already had coverage, meaning that health reform wasn’t driving down the uninsured rate. The new Kaiser survey, which uses a randomly-selected panel of 742 people who bought private coverage through the new exchanges,

finds that 57 percent of those who signed up for private coverage didn’t have an insurance plan when they enrolled. The Kaiser survey suggests that most people who bought on the marketplace weren’t trying to replace a plan they already had. They were people who lacked insurance coverage, and were using the new health care law to gain access to a plan they didn’t have before.

More here

kff

Mother Jones: About Half of Obamacare Exchange Enrollees Were Previously Uninsured

A new Kaiser survey shows that 57 percent of those who bought health insurance on Obamacare exchanges were previously uninsured. That’s about 4.5 million people who gained private insurance via the exchanges, and the vast majority of them say they would have remained uninsured if not for Obamacare. If this number is correct, it suggests that the number of newly insured by the end of the year will be a little higher than I’ve projected before—perhaps around 11-13 million.

More here

ObamaCare Awesome

Tara Culp-Ressler: Young Adults Got Healthier And More Financially Stable After Obamacare Was Implemented

Obamacare’s efforts to expand access to health insurance for young Americans may be helping them maintain better health and financial security, according to a large new study analyzing the impact of health care reform over the past four years. The study, published in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) on Wednesday, found that young Americans are now reporting better physical and mental health and their out-of-pocket medical expenses have declined. “The health insurance that people are gaining seems to be doing what it is supposed to do,” Dr. Kao-Ping Chua, a pediatrician at Boston’s Children’s Hospital and the lead author of the study, told the Los Angeles Times. In 2010, Obamacare began allowing young adults to remain on their parents’ health insurance plans until the age of 26. Since then, several surveys have found that the rate of uninsurance among that population has sharply declined. The JAMA study is one of the first to attempt to more broadly measure the impact of this aspect of the Affordable Care Act in the four years since it took effect.

In order to assess Obamacare’s impact, the researchers analyzed annual survey data collected between 2002 and 2011, before and after the coverage provision’s implementation. They tracked information from more than 60,000 people who fell into one of two different groups: young people between the ages of 19 to 25, who became newly eligible to remain dependents on their parents’ plans, and a control group of older adults between the ages of 26 to 34 who could not take advantage of that provision. Some significant differences emerged between the two populations. Among the younger group, there was a 6.2 percentage point increase in people reporting excellent physical health, as well as a 4 percentage point increase in people reporting excellent mental health. That group was also more likely to be insured, and experienced an 18 percent decline in their annual out-of-pocket medical costs.

More here

SCOTUS ObamaCare

123 Responses to “ObamaCare: Signed. Sealed. Delivering.”

1. 1 Allison
    June 20, 2014 at 2:15 pm

1????

2. 13 Nena20409
    June 20, 2014 at 2:20 pm

POTUS is Coming To Minnesota On Thursday :)

Okay then……WELCOME, <3 + <3 + <3 Mr. President to the land of 15K plus lakes.

• 14 Ycin
      June 20, 2014 at 2:26 pm

HAPPY FRIDAY TO YOU Nena20409!

WISHING YOU AN AWESOME DAY.

Everything went hay wire on my computer yesterday, lost information, security threats and my computer was humming weird tunes.
      I don’t know how to recover and fix stuff.

This is Cindy. Had to change “everything.”
      Love those hearts and smiley faces that you guys do…..I am so technologically challenged, probably blew up my own computer : (

• 15 Nena20409
        June 20, 2014 at 2:40 pm

I am Not Computer savvy Cindy.

Amk, LP, NW, Chips, Doc Bobfr, etc are to go to folks…..to name a few. I know just enough to navigate at TOD, Work and Youtube ;) I am pulling for you and wishing you the very best.

As for the <3 and :) faces……. Chips provided those Via Word Press.

• 16 Ycin
          June 20, 2014 at 2:50 pm

Thanks Nene20409!
          Child unit told me to take some computer classes years ago, of course I didn’t want to be bothered, now I live in the; wish I woulda, coulda, shoulda after life : (

Thanks for the link; always wondered how everyone could post such beauty and I was still doing old school : )

• 18 amk for obama
        June 20, 2014 at 3:09 pm

Hi Cindy. What is your operating system, windows or apple (crap)?

• 19 Ycin
          June 20, 2014 at 3:20 pm

Happy Friday to you amk!
          Thanks,

Don’t know what happened, I have an hp and I was working yesterday, lots of input. Computer started singing (humming) and the screen started jumping all over the place. Norton icon popped up with several alerts for computer threats. Entire screen went blank, humming sound and it was dead.

I waited for a while but then I couldn’t log in until much later and then my passwords and stuff were scrambled like crazy. Just not sure what happened. This morning the Norton icon showed that it stopped some threats, so I am thinking that I was being hacked or something. I’m taking it to the geek squad tomorrow. None of this has ever happened before.

• 20 amk for obama
            June 20, 2014 at 3:25 pm

1st rule – Get rid of norton. Uninstall it, stat. Never mind the 20/.30/40 bucks you shelled out for it.

2nd rule – No more paid free/anti-virus software except windows defender (for win 8.0 and above) and microsoft security essentials (for win 7 and below)

• 21 Ycin
              June 20, 2014 at 3:33 pm

WOW!!! did not know that Norton wasn’t good. Will do it immediately. In addition to Norton I have something on here called, PC MRI; removing both.

Thank you so much amk! windows defender it is.

• 22 amk for obama
                June 20, 2014 at 3:35 pm

Have been living of micorfoft essentials and windows defender for more than 4 years now. Not a single virus attack.

• 23 57andfemale
                  June 20, 2014 at 4:28 pm

Really? I have Norton and McAfee horror stories, as do many of us. I’ve been using Kaspersky and yes, it did come ‘free’ with my computer (ducking for cover and amk throws something at me).

• 24 Ycin
                    June 20, 2014 at 5:08 pm

Hi 57andfemale, you better run : )

Never had any problems, like this before. I thought Norton was good. It was actually scary hearing the humming sounds; thought it was going to blow : (

Hope Mr.57andfemale, Kasper, Mr. Nickelby and Miss Pearl are all doing well. I read about the boys adventures-too funny. You definitely have some show biz characters. I am still waiting for your book; The Adventures of _____________, I’m sure it will be hilarious.

Have a wonderful Friday afternoon!
                    It’s me….Cindy

• 25 57andfemale
                      June 20, 2014 at 6:05 pm

Norton was okay about a dozen years ago – it’s been a nightmare ever since, and gets into everything and makes decisions about everything. I would never use Norton or McAfee. Apparently, I’m not supposed to use anything!

Everyone is good, thanks for asking. Pearl had a gash on her back (she’s fine),. We figured out that when Kasper pulled down the lining underneath the sofa he loosened about a million staples. We were blessed that they all didn’t get severely injured. Mr. 57 pounded back the staples and duct taped the entire bottom of the sofa. Kasper is not too happy – no place to stash his toys and hide from Mommy.

I was looking for him the other day and I got panicked because I couldn’t find him and was calling for him. I looked under the sofa, too. Mr. 57 calls him once, and out he comes: he was hiding under all the torn underlining, letting me worry!

That’s my Kasper. He really should have been named Cagney, he’s such a bad boy.

Hope your computer problems resolve – it’s such a terrible thing to happen. Hope everything was backed up!

Have a great Friday. I’m sure we’ll chat over the weekend.

• 26 jackiegrumbacher
                June 20, 2014 at 4:24 pm

Ycin, I’m the least informed and most technically inept of computer uses, but I agree with AMK on Norton. It was screwing up everything, as were all other anti-viral programs. When my husband took them off, the problems disappeared.

• 27 Ycin
                  June 20, 2014 at 5:11 pm

Hey jackiegrumbacher, thanks for the information.
                  I had no idea that Norton was bad. I’ve had minor problems but I thought the computer was going to blow up yesterday. Yep, everything is coming off.

Have a wonderful Friday afternoon! Cindy

3. 28 Nena20409
    June 20, 2014 at 2:21 pm

Au :star: Ag and Bronze for Allison. Congrats.

4. June 20, 2014 at 2:22 pm

Absolutely brilliant news, thank you Nerdy, you’re the Costa Rica of TOD!

5. 33 Linda
    June 20, 2014 at 2:25 pm

After Paul ” Lyin” Ryan basically accuses the IRS Commissioner of lying…..this happened.

lolll

• June 20, 2014 at 2:38 pm

Urge everyone to RT this ….

Thank you Linda for the excerpt. His full statement is included in the video linked in his tweet.

#LandslideDEMS2014

Yes WE MUST

• 35 Linda
        June 20, 2014 at 2:47 pm

Wow…. that one is much better…..I guess I got the media edited version.

• 36 GGail
        June 20, 2014 at 3:14 pm

Thanks Bob for posting Rep Doggett in all of his AWESOMENESS.

My heart swells when I hear the truth being spoken as it is in this video!!!!

Thank you Rep Lloyd Doggett for your courage, honesty and intelligence.

• 37 MightyPamela
        June 20, 2014 at 3:21 pm

I so truly hope and pray this marks the beginning of the end of the madness and darkness in our Congress. Rep Doggett could not have been more open and direct. Please God, let the Light shine brighter everyday!

• 39 jackiegrumbacher
        June 20, 2014 at 4:33 pm

It would make such a difference if every Dem starting speaking like Congressman Doggett. Harry Reid has been stepping forward to call the R’s out for their conspiracies and sabotage and it’s time everyone followed his example. Dems: if you step up to the mike and start speaking the truth, clearly and courageously, you will start to wake up the millions of somnolent in this country who don’t realize what’s happening while they doze. Don’t let the R’s getting away with it any longer. Call it out and call it loud.

• 41 99ts
        June 20, 2014 at 6:13 pm

Thank you Bob – this is one for the ages – telling the truth about all those enquiries

6. 42 Nena20409
    June 20, 2014 at 2:26 pm

As the ACA News gets Rosier, the Media’s collective Voices………Get Muter :?:

Keep hitting the ObamaCare’s Stories out of the TOD park NW :)

June 20, 2014 at 2:29 pm

We were chuckling at the “bee” activists a couple weeks ago, but I guess the WH has been taking them very seriously…

• June 20, 2014 at 2:34 pm

As well it should. No bees, no agriculture. No agriculture, end of the human race.

• 45 MightyPamela
        June 20, 2014 at 3:24 pm

Hear, here! It is not news that the bee populations all around the world are in serious jeopardy. Look at China, where the Chinese farmers are out hand-pollinating the fruit trees and other crops which have been managed by bees since before humans walked (and devastated) the planet.

8. 46 Linda
    June 20, 2014 at 2:39 pm

JUNEAU, Alaska (AP) — The House Ethics Committee has found U.S. Rep. Don Young of Alaska violated House rules by using campaign funds for personal trips and accepting improper gifts.

The committee called on the Republican to repay the value of the trips and gifts, totaling about $59,000, to his campaign and the donors. It also issued a letter of rebuke.

9. 47 Dudette
    June 20, 2014 at 2:56 pm

Good Afternoon! Hope everyone’s having a Fabulous Friday!

• June 20, 2014 at 2:59 pm

Afternoon Dudette!!

• 49 Dudette
        June 20, 2014 at 3:14 pm

Great Diva of Blogdom, Empress of TODsylvania, Universal Ambassador to the Democratic Republic of Wet POTUSia, Most Gracious Greetings from Planet Geek-Nerdistan! :-D

• 50 amk for obama
          June 20, 2014 at 3:16 pm

ah, there you are. Where were you yday night/today morn?

• 51 Dudette
            June 20, 2014 at 3:21 pm

Working my freakin’ chee-chees off, man.

Only been able sneak out a tweet or two. Just poking my head in for a quick “hey y’all!” What kinda work-nazi books a damn meeting at 4:00 on a gorgeous Friday afternoon? Ugh!

• 57 GGail
      June 20, 2014 at 3:22 pm

Hi you doin’? Dudette!

• 58 Dudette
        June 20, 2014 at 3:28 pm

Heya Sister GGail! Good to see ya!

I’m worn out and cranky from hunger. Called myself “eating light” for lunch. That measly salad might as well as have been an air sandwich. Gotta get me some grub b4 I cuss out everyone in this meeting I’m about to attend. :-)

10. 59 MightyPamela
    June 20, 2014 at 3:06 pm

Anyone who has lived in, or is from a country which has a public health service in place, must think the entire USA is completely bonkers, for having such animosity and divisiveness over keeping people healthy!! I mean, really

• 60 jackiegrumbacher
      June 20, 2014 at 4:38 pm

And they would be right, MP. Half of this country is bonkers because that’s what you have to be to NOT want your family and others to have good health care coverage.

June 20, 2014 at 3:11 pm

way to ‘go’, ruiney, limeys.

• June 20, 2014 at 3:13 pm

I was under no illusions that England would make it out of the group stage. But to flame out so spectacularly? I imagine the search for a new manager is underway.

• 63 amk for obama
        June 20, 2014 at 3:17 pm

yup. when you start to wish that your non-direct opponents start doing good/ bad, you’re phucked.

12. June 20, 2014 at 3:17 pm

Weird history fact of the day: 1631 – The sack of Baltimore: the Irish village of Baltimore is attacked by Algerian pirates.

I mean, Algerian pirates all the way up in Ireland?

June 20, 2014 at 3:30 pm

bottle of nice french red + spicy goan fish curry + spicy veg curry + butter naan for dinner = kenyan client flat ready to sign on the dotted line.

June 20, 2014 at 3:32 pm

Better have TWO bottles of that nice French red then:) I can smell that curry from here.

• 70 amk for obama
        June 20, 2014 at 3:36 pm

I am about to get flat myself any time now. French are making it easy by scoring 2 already. Go giroud.

• 71 GGail
          June 20, 2014 at 4:09 pm

Had lamb and chicken biryani tandoori with garlic naan bread and rice pudding for dinner just the other day

14. 72 Dudette
    June 20, 2014 at 3:33 pm

Thought I’d sharing something pretty before I roll out. Enjoy! :-)

15. 75 Jovie
    June 20, 2014 at 3:35 pm

16. 78 Jovie
    June 20, 2014 at 3:40 pm

June 20, 2014 at 3:41 pm

3-0 for french. I am going to bed.

18. June 20, 2014 at 3:43 pm

“even” AMK: THANK YOU for the Microsoft security tips to ycin (How ya, doin’ hon?) above.

Really dislike Norton, McAfee (just think of how bizarre the founder is — lolling about in Central America (Costa Rica? Chips? DF?) while wanted on murder charges and apparently doing his best to exploit and debase local women there — no thank you, McAfee). IIRC, I really had to jump through hoops to uninstall Norton which came with my 8-year-old laptop, a simple “remove program” via Control Panel wasn’t enough.

And the awesome Rep. Lloyd Doggett (Linda, Bobfr) — is he our awesome NerdyWonka’s rep?

19. 85 Jovie
    June 20, 2014 at 3:51 pm

He’s a t Bagger!

20. June 20, 2014 at 3:55 pm

Great post on Obamacare, as usual, NW.

Did y’all see @Momsense_ME’s post at the end of the previous thread?

The GOP propaganda machine aka MSM has truly done a disservice to the self-employed of our country:

Fantastic posts today!! Crazy busy but wanted to stop by and say hello and share something that happened this morning. A woman come in to my office who was in an auto accident. Her auto insurance med pay is now maxed out and she can’t continue with her physical therapy. I told her that she could submit the appointments to her health insurance and that we would pay the insurance co. from the settlement.

Well it turns out she doesn’t have insurance. She explained to me that she is self employed and can’t afford it. I asked her if she had applied for insurance through healthcare.gov and she told me that she didn’t even bother after hearing how bad it is and how expensive. She didn’t know anything about the subsidies, didn’t know about no exclusions for pre-existing conditions. Yes, she watches Fox. I stay away from political at work but I did tell her how the subsidies work and that it is really affordable. One of the women in the office piped in that she and her husband only pay $54 per month and my client was shocked. As it is now, she is distraught and scared and facing a health crisis without insurance.

We will probably work out something with her providers but wow–this is not the only time this has happened in my little office. Every time it is just heartbreaking that politicians and pundits lie causing terrible consequences.

• 90 japa21
      June 20, 2014 at 4:09 pm

I read that. Glad you brought it over. One wonders just how many people fall into that group and did not get insurance on the exchange and are now out of luck until the next open enrollment period. And they didn’t because of Fox. Not just the GOP but also the media could be responsible for many people being without insurance (not even including the Medicaid issues) with possible tragic results.

• 91 0388jojothecat
        June 20, 2014 at 5:49 pm

Who knows…..maybe she made up mind she would not have anything to do with it regardless if it helped her or not. Many of these self employed “I built it” types don’t need any help from the gubment until they need help from a natural disaster or illness then it’s woe is me, blame the poor for “gaming” the system if they now can’t get government help. I don’t feel sorry for people who shoot themselves in the foot then claim ignorance. Anyone who has enough sense to have their own business or work as an independent they need some smarts to pay quarterly taxes on time. You get to take a tax deduction on health insurance premiums as a self-employed per so why not have insurance.

• 92 jackiegrumbacher
      June 20, 2014 at 4:50 pm

FOX’s deliberate falsifying of information has reached criminal proportions and is causing serious and possibly fatal harm to people who listen to the lies and don’t protect themselves. They are an organization of saboteurs and that’s how they have to be treated. I feel deeply sorry for people whose thinking skills are so poor that they think this poisonous group is a news organization. I don’t know what it will take to wake people up, but we have to try day after day after day.

21. 93 0388jojothecat
    June 20, 2014 at 4:10 pm

I wonder how many small businesses dropped covering their employees. I have a friend who is mad because his son and daughter employer made them go out and get covered through the aca and the employer pays half of the premium. He said they went from a gold type plan to bronze. It just does not sound right. The son’s employer also lowered his salary this year while his fed subsidy was based on his higher salary last year. I told him not to blame the ACA or PBO blame the employers for screwing the employees and the GOP for making sure employers could do this. My friend voted for PBO but lives in a very GOP area.

22. 94 Linda
    June 20, 2014 at 4:11 pm

Scott Walker is whining that he ” Is the most scrutinized elected official in the country “.

And this guy wants to be President ?

• 95 Nerdy Wonka
      June 20, 2014 at 4:24 pm

Please. Let him go through what First Lady Michelle Obama went through during the 08 campaign – and she wasn’t an elected official – before he begins whining.

• 97 japa21
      June 20, 2014 at 4:27 pm

Poor Scotty. But, I tend to believe both PBO and Christy are far more scrutinized. And of course, if he hadn’t been a) screwing over the unions in his stae, b) giving massive tax breaks to his cronies, c) been on his kness before the brothers Koch and d) raising campaign illegalities to a new artisitc level, maybe he wouldn’t be under so much scrutiny. And yes, I know we could add e), f), g)….

I was looking at the Milwaukee paper web-site and the article discussing his latest problems. First of all, they had to shut off comments at 1000. Secondly, in the past, I have seen a fairly even split of pro and anti Walker comments there. This time, I would say it was probably 80-20 against Walker.

• 98 0388jojothecat
        June 20, 2014 at 7:52 pm

He is getting what he deserves….he also lied to get elected. As soon he got elected he turned on the unions except the police unions and when he did not get recalled he went after those that tried to recall him. Now he won’t help the poor with the ACA.

• June 20, 2014 at 4:46 pm

As I sing every week to my Storytime kids: The babies on the bus go wah wah wah

• 100 jackiegrumbacher
      June 20, 2014 at 4:52 pm

Scott Walker is a sniveling immature cry baby and that’s the best thing I could think to say about him.

June 20, 2014 at 4:14 pm

24. 102 Linda
    June 20, 2014 at 4:29 pm

Republican Led House Passes an Unconstitutional Defense Spending Bill

Before the House passed the bill, the White House had already labeled the GITMO provisions unconstitutional, “The Administration strongly objects to sections 8107, 8108, 8139, and 9015 of the bill, each of which would restrict the Executive Branch’s ability to manage the Guantánamo detainee population.

121 Democrats voted for this Unconstitutional Bill

Fix it Harry Reid or let dust pile on it.

25. 103 jackiegrumbacher
    June 20, 2014 at 4:53 pm

Linda, 121 Democrats have lost their mind. That’s all I can say about such an obnoxious vote.

26. June 20, 2014 at 4:53 pm

27. June 20, 2014 at 5:08 pm

28. 120 Nena20409
    June 20, 2014 at 5:30 pm
  29. 122 Nena20409
    June 20, 2014 at 5:55 pm

Point and :lol: :roll: :lol:

McAngry responding to Chuck and Ed……Funny how his attack is ONLY on MSNBC as biased. Todd a known rightie. So funny.

Todd and Henry were talking about how McCain was calling for air strikes in Iraq while former General David Petraeus, a man McCain has long heralded, was cautioning against doing anything in that nation. Todd joked, “I’ve got to think McCain must have had heart palpitations.”

However, Rogers pointed to an interview of Petraeus showing support for targeted strikes and took another shot at Todd.

“It should be embarrassing for MSNBC – but likely isn’t – to see that in another interview just one day later General Petraeus said he would support targeted strikes against the ISIS terrorist army in Iraq, which is what Senator McCain has advocated – so no ‘heart palpitations’ necessary.”

I still get a kick at listening to those two righties mocking McCain…..then going on air lying their arses off.