Jun

ObamaCare: Less Than The Price Of Cable

Bp8nmALCcAAFM_h.png-large

German Lopez: Millions Of Americans Are Paying Less For Obamacare Than Cable

Subsidized shoppers on HealthCare.gov are paying, on average, $82 monthly premiums for health plans, new data from the US Department of Health and Human Services shows. The report, published Wednesday, is the most in-depth look available so far at the prices that federal marketplace shoppers will pay for private health coverage. It shows the vast majority of shoppers will use federal subsidies to pay for insurance, significantly reducing their monthly price tag. Senior HHS officials, in a conference call with reporters Tuesday, emphasized the report’s findings to show that Obamacare is keeping prices low for shoppers and bringing new competition to the insurance markets.

To the Obama administration, the report is more evidence the health-care law is working as intended. About 87 percent of subsidized HealthCare.gov shoppers had at least part of their premium covered with tax credits, which are available to low and middle-income Americans. How much shoppers paid depended largely on how generous of an insurance plan they selected. After accounting for subsidies, enrollees paid an average of $69 per month for the least-generous bronze plan to an average of $220 per month for the most-generous platinum plan. As a result of the subsidies, about two-thirds of HealthCare.gov shoppers who qualified for tax credits are paying $100 or less each month for health insurance.

More here

average_monthly_premium

German Lopez: Gallup: Most Newly Insured Americans Used Obamacare’s Exchanges

One in 20 Americans report being newly insured in 2014, and more than half of the newly insured say they obtained health insurance through Obamacare’s exchanges, according to new data from Gallup. Gallup previously found the nation’s uninsured rate remains at 13.4 percent after a peak of 18 percent last year. That finding, along with the new data, suggests that Obamacare helped millions of Americans gain health insurance after open enrollment began last October.

More here

143 Responses to “ObamaCare: Less Than The Price Of Cable”

June 27, 2014 at 3:06 pm

2nd

2. June 27, 2014 at 3:08 pm

Thank you soooooooooooooooooooo much Nerdy!!

June 27, 2014 at 3:11 pm

O my, I notice that I came in 1st on a NerdyW post! Suh-weeter and sweeter! Hello Ms Wonka! How are you…and the rest of the gang? :grin:

June 27, 2014 at 3:27 pm

MUST READ from Nick Hanauer…. http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/06/the-pitchforks-are-coming-for-us-plutocrats-108014.html#ixzz35qMb4eeA

I see pitchforks.
    At the same time that people like you and me are thriving beyond the dreams of any plutocrats in history, the rest of the country—the 99.99 percent—is lagging far behind. The divide between the haves and have-nots is getting worse really, really fast. In 1980, the top 1 percent controlled about 8 percent of U.S. national income. The bottom 50 percent shared about 18 percent. Today the top 1 percent share about 20 percent; the bottom 50 percent, just 12 percent.
    But the problem isn’t that we have inequality. Some inequality is intrinsic to any high-functioning capitalist economy. The problem is that inequality is at historically high levels and getting worse every day. Our country is rapidly becoming less a capitalist society and more a feudal society. Unless our policies change dramatically, the middle class will disappear, and we will be back to late 18th-century France. Before the revolution.
    And so I have a message for my fellow filthy rich, for all of us who live in our gated bubble worlds: Wake up, people. It won’t last.

• 9 Vicki
      June 27, 2014 at 3:58 pm

Desertflower, I replied to you on last thread, not that you will necessarily agree with what I said.

We cannot beat the 1% with pitchforks and torches. They have the tanks drones fully militarized local police forces.

We will have to fight the battles city by city and state by state in the way we are doing right now.
      Municipal IDs.
      De-criminalization of weed.
      Raising the minimum wage.
      Universal pre-k.
      Free school breakfast and lunch.
      7 Billion dollars to develop Native American lands, building homes schools hospitals.
      Enforcing and spreading voting rights.
      Ending loopholes for corporations and resoring generous unemployment benefits.
      Medicaid expansion in all 50 states.

The entire Democratic platform is the best answer I see. Enactment of it is the Revolution we can work for and a better bet than pitchforks and torches.
      End of preachy rant.

June 27, 2014 at 7:36 pm

Sorry, but did you even READ the piece? He was actually speaking to his fellow 1%ers….and says pretty much the very same things that PBO has been trying to get across to the brainwashed masses. Your list, though noble and good, was confusing in the context of this article.

• 11 Vicki
          June 27, 2014 at 7:50 pm

You’re right, I must have read it too quickly. I thought he was warning the 1% that the rest of us could actually do something to hurt them.

June 27, 2014 at 7:56 pm

:) No..he’s one that really “gets it” and has preached it from the mountaintops. Share this if you will :) About that culture shock you experienced between NYC/ MO…I can’t even imagine:) Enlightened age vs Stone Age…

• 13 Vicki
              June 27, 2014 at 8:05 pm

I cannot grasp this. I am sometimes dense and do not want to argue.

June 27, 2014 at 8:14 pm

There won’t be any arguing here about this. He is trying to explain to those that refuse to accept the false memes of Trickle Down that even the 1%ers are far better off when America has a living wage for all it citizens….that’s really it in a nutshell…and he explains why and even has a better argument for Dems on how to phrase this, because there are many that think “fairness” is a bullshit concept to apply to a society. Dems talk fairness, Republicans talk about growth…but R’s never really grow the economy when the have the chance, do they? You can see him on You Tube saying a similar thing…he’s right, which is why TED refused to put his video out to the masses if I remember correctly.

• June 27, 2014 at 9:32 pm

Hi desertflower. I disagree with him on this..

.”Sadly, no Republicans and few Democrats get this. President Obama doesn’t seem to either, though his heart is in the right place. In his State of the Union speech this year, he mentioned the need for a higher minimum wage but failed to make the case that less inequality and a renewed middle class would promote faster economic growth.”

PBO just this week spoke on inequality. Where the hell was this joker? Otherwise, good piece. Now, will they listen? I don’t hold my breath, but they should realize they damn sure can’t take it with them 6 ft under.

• 16 Vicki
            June 27, 2014 at 8:01 pm

I read it again. I guess I just don’t get this guy or the points he’s making.
            Does he think reason will persuade the rich to behave better?

In my view the Rich are saying, “Apres moi, le deluge.” Meaning that they understand there may not be any future after them—-get it all while you can.
            In the face of that implacable will to dominate, I think POTUS is moving the ball forward in every way he can whenever he can,right?

• 17 SUE DUVALL SMITH
      June 27, 2014 at 4:03 pm

I PREDICT…THE WEALTHY WILL BE IN SOUP LINES! THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH BEING RICH…IT IS HOW YOU UTILIZE YOUR BLESSINGS…IF YOU ARE SELFISH AND HATEFUL…YOU DESERVE TO LIVE WITHOUT! GOD’S JUSTICE WILL PREVAIL IN ALL CIRCUMSTANCES.

5. June 27, 2014 at 3:30 pm

Good afternoon all. Congrats on first VC. Great post NW! I am so glad to hear President Obama after all the crazy news these past few days, especially after the Supreme Court decision on both the recess appt issue and the unanimous “buffer zone” ruling regarding abortion clinics. What were Sotomayer, Kagan and Ginsburg thinking??? I don’t get it.

• 19 sjterrid
      June 27, 2014 at 4:11 pm

I saw on another blog that someone mentioned, she was a lawyer, because of the makeup of the court, If the liberal judges voted no in descent than their votes would be added with the conservative judges and than they might have enough votes to overturn the law completely.

• 20 jackiegrumbacher
        June 27, 2014 at 4:44 pm

Sj, I’m not following this. Could you amplify a little.

• 21 sjterrid
          June 27, 2014 at 7:40 pm

Hi Jackie! I hope I could explain it better. I go to another blog, BPIcampus.com. There was a question the other day and one of the women that runs the site was a lawyer. In most of the Supreme Court Cases usually when there is a descent it’s usually comes down to a 5-4 decision. In this case even though the verdict was unanimous some of the conservative judges wrote a descent. If the liberal judges filed a descent, too, than the conservatives would have been likely to completely overturn the law.

• 22 sjterrid
          June 27, 2014 at 8:59 pm

Hi Jackie. I’ll try to explain it better. Usually when there’s a case before the Supreme Court by this supreme court the ruling it’s usually a 5-4 decision, either way. Even though this decision was unanimous some of the conservative judges wrote a descent. If the liberal judges wrote a descent, than, I believe, the results would be that the law would be overturned completely.

• 23 sjterrid
          June 27, 2014 at 9:04 pm

sorry for the duplicate response, I didn’t realize my reply to you was posted.

6. 24 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    June 27, 2014 at 3:59 pm

I HOPE PBO ENJOYED EVERY MOMENT OF HIS MINNESOTA VISIT…I HATE IT WHEN HE HAS TO GO BACK TO DC……………..THE DEPT. OF CHAOS!…GOD BLESS HIM…YOU ARE LOVED PBO!

7. 25 JER
    June 27, 2014 at 4:20 pm
    • 26 Nena20409
      June 27, 2014 at 4:49 pm

There’s still hope….Thank goodness….in light of that brave lady in 2013/2012 who singlehandedly talked down a shooter with high capacity Gun.

8. June 27, 2014 at 4:45 pm
    • 29 donna dem 4 obama
      June 27, 2014 at 5:01 pm

He’s right….someone I know with two beautiful little baby girls is paying $500.00 per week for child care. :shock:

June 27, 2014 at 8:58 pm

Private 8-hour M-F “day care” at a grandma-type woman’s immaculate home for my son, pre-school, in the early 1970s in NJ at her home (where he got excellent care and love and learning) was $20 a week – he was there for three years and the “rate” never changed. And he invited her to his wedding, she was so lovely. Realize it was a different time and salaries were different, but look at that. Wow.

9. 31 GGail
    June 27, 2014 at 4:45 pm

Adorable care acts – are sooooo cute!

10. 32 Nena20409
    June 27, 2014 at 4:52 pm

My late Dad loved her voice and music. He also loved Dean Martin. Doris Day and Frank Sinatra.

11. 33 jackiegrumbacher
    June 27, 2014 at 4:55 pm

On this Minnesota trip, I think the president showed us that “the bear is on the loose” really means that he feels free to express his true feelings about Republican obstructionism with no fears about being impolitic. It’s not just that he walks around freely, he’s speaking freely, so it’s both a visual and an emotional statement. When he goes ‘on the loose’ out of town, he gets to meet real people who don’t live within the beltway hate miasma AND he gets good local coverage for his message. I think he’s going to take more and more of these trips before the election in addition to continuing his massive fundraising forays. He’s showing us, by his actions, that we need to get out and talk to people more. And it’s okay if we get mad and talk about our feelings. This is how you connect with people and wake them up. He’s reminding us that what’s happening in DC is not OK and we’re the only ones who can fix it.

• 34 Betsy
      June 27, 2014 at 5:23 pm

I agree with you Jackie. I can tell you it lifts me up to hear him express the frustrations I feel too and it makes me feel better and hopeful. After listening to him, I always choose hope. It works. I hope he does this more and more and I also hope the Democrats join him as they meet with their constituents.

12. 35 Nena20409
    June 27, 2014 at 4:56 pm

Call her crazy, but Laura Ingraham doesn’t think it helps Republicans to re-open a debate over a war that the overwhelming majority of Americans now view as a mistake.

Ingraham weighed in Thursday night on the “O’Reilly Factor” about the recent war of words between Bill Clinton and Dick Cheney.

Clinton said this week that the former vice president’s scathing criticism of the Obama administration over the unraveling situation in Iraq — typified by an angry op-ed piece he co-wrote with his daughter, Liz Cheney — has been “unseemly.”

//////

71% plus depending on the pollster said that the Iraq war was not worth it. So let the Media keep showing the liars that got Us in the war……the more they speak and advocate for more war, the more many US citizens stop listening to them.

• 37 jackiegrumbacher
      June 27, 2014 at 5:12 pm

Nena, I don’t remember a time when the US elected the “best.” Crazy people have walked the halls of congress and our state houses since elections first began.

• 38 Nena20409
        June 27, 2014 at 5:25 pm

The “crazies” never had control. They do today in Congress and in many state houses.

A handful, the nation could still function. Today the Media and the rightie mega media chamber are whacked.

• 39 0388jojothecat
          June 27, 2014 at 8:26 pm

Before Newt Gingrich and now the teabaggers we did elect people who came together for this country no matter you party affiliation. Yes there were a few craziest over the years but NOT THIS CRAZY. I remember the Watergate hearings and there were both Republicans and Democrats that had principles and followed the constitution. No more….

13. 41 donna dem 4 obama
    June 27, 2014 at 5:12 pm
  14. 42 Wilson
    June 27, 2014 at 5:13 pm

I just love the GOP freakouts- see nena’s links, and this one from TPM: http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/frank-lucas-body-double-accusation. The wheels are coming off faster!!!!!!

15. 43 HZ
    June 27, 2014 at 5:15 pm

Sue, you are a great inspiration to me. Thank you for all that you do for each of us with your words of truth, inspiration, and faith.

I am nursing my pain gut again(every sweet day of my journey now), but I will not give in or up to the havoc that it brings within my space. I go and look at the lovely flowers on the patio, the trees behind my place, the lovely sky;, and I hear the birds singing to me. I know they know that I am out there, and they decided to bring on a song. Or they heard the music coming from the inside of my home and then they decided to sing along. Whatever, it gives me a golden opportunity to talk and to focus on all of the work that we all are doing and even preparing to do even more, as we move closer to 2014.

However, so many things give my heart so much joy, when I listen to our wonderful POTUS. He is so strong in his core. He is so beautiful in his own space, and he is so kind and thoughtful to others while they are in the shared space when he is with them. But no matter what the evil, yes these people are evil instruments, feel is necessary for them to carry on their miserable lives, PBO keeps thinking how he can help people . That takes a focused mind, heart, and soul to deliver that goodness of spirit.

I cried as I listened to him speak this morning because I could see and feel the frustration in his being. President Obama is a brilliant man, but he uses his brilliant mind to make sure that he does not waste it on foolishness. However, he is human just like us, and he gets tired just like us. But these words gave me another loving stone of strength of encouragement by our President. ” Cynicism is a choice. Every day, I am lucky enough to receive a thousand acts of hope.”President Barack Obama.

{ Chips, Bobfr, Zizi, Tally, Nerdy W., LL, Carolyn, Donna, Amk, meta, and all of the beautiful writers here; there is a great one to ponder on for our TOD family. “A Thousand Acts of Hope.” President Barack Obama, June 27,2014 Speech.

I know for sure that he means every word in that sentence. He sees it every day here, in the work that we do when we are called to action. He sees it in conversations with his staff and his Cabinet Members. And he sees it in the people who writes to him and meet him when he is out of the Washington Bubble. This keeps PBO going. He thrives on the choice of Hope. He does not dwell in the dungeon of bitterness, hopelessness, ugly noise, greed, self interest, hate, dishonesty, bitterness, disrespectfulness, and a distrust of the middles-class who is just trying to make life work for them and their families in a nation that is so plentiful.

So let us ponder on what he said today, and let us be the ones who will continue to add daily to the: ” to receive a thousand acts of hope.”
    I sure want to daily be in his “thousand acts of hope.” Let us make these “acts of hope” as he called them more and more each day as we move alongside of him. And others can see and have the beautiful results of his receivership as their brilliant, caring, and compassionate President deal with very difficult and vile people in our nation’s capital.

I love my president, and I will continue to pray for him and his Cabinet by department and name. We can see what each of them need to move on regardless of the obstructions in Congress; and we of All people know that President Barack Obama will not, has not been “faithfully executing the duties of the office of President.” He has and always will. And he of all people will not be so disrespectful for the Constitution of our land. Plain and simple. My brother always tells me, “Anyone can sue you, but that does not mean that they will win.” Plus, we here at TOD knows that this crap that Speaker Boehner is clowning around on the Crazy Stage is nothing more than trying to mess with the president. These foolish people will never learn. However unlike like Speaker Boehner, President Barack Obama did not take his Oath of Office as our 44th President to act like a fool. Trust me on this. He is a kind and gentle spirit; But he is Not stupid. HZ

• 44 jackiegrumbacher
      June 27, 2014 at 5:28 pm

Beautifully stated, as always, HZ. I pray that your pain eases and the powers of hope and love give you strength. The president inspired us with his talks in Minnesota. He spoke the truth from his heart and it was very powerful.

• 45 HZ
        June 27, 2014 at 11:27 pm

{{{{{{{{{{{TY, jackiegrumbacher}}}}}}}}}}}}}}} My strength comes from a power that is so deep within my being that I go to my prayer space where ever that is, and just cry out for goodness to give me hope to keep on the journey. I have great doctor, but I know this body was not made for them or by them. I carry my cares to a quiet and peaceful place when the pain strikes me.HZ

• 46 GGail
      June 27, 2014 at 5:45 pm

“Trust me on this. He is a kind and gentle spirit; But he is Not stupid”
      Amen to this HZ! Amen!

Dear sweet HZ, I hope and pray that the pain will ease in your body. {{{{{Love ya}}}}

• 47 HZ
        June 27, 2014 at 11:33 pm

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{ I love you and thank you, GGail.}}}}}}}}}}}}}} My TOD family keeps me going also. I love you all so much. HZ

• 48 mtmarilyn
      June 27, 2014 at 6:43 pm

HZ you are always in my daily prayers, I know you are always struggling with pain but you have the right spirit. You are such a treasure for us here at TOD. God bless!

16. 50 MadameSoph
    June 27, 2014 at 5:18 pm

How timely this thread is Nerdy! I feel just like that kitten pictured above “resting easy” and it’s because of our wonderful PBO and his hard work fighting for the ACA.

I just returned from my very first visit to a dermatologist!

I don’t think I ever saw one as a kid and, as an adult, I have been self-employed for the last 14 years or so. Therefore, I have been at the mercy of the private insurance market and its ever-increasing rates and deductibles. As I’ve mentioned previously, in order to maintain a premium I could afford, I had to keep choosing higher and higher deductibles. I couldn’t afford to go to the doctor just to “check something out” that looked suspicious. I basically had “in case I get run over by a bus, at least they will let me in the door” insurance. For a couple of years now, I have had a few “thingys” on my skin that I couldn’t identify. They didn’t seem scary enough to pay out of pocket to check them out, but they were mysterious enough to always weigh on the back of my mind that I “really should see what those are”

Well, thanks to my wonderful, new, ACTUAL insurance plan from CoveredCA that ACTUALLY covers check-ups, I had my first visit with a very fine dermatologist today! I found out the “thingys” were nothing to worry about and she told me that I am the healthiest person she’s seen all day! We also had a very positive discussion about the ACA and she told me that the only coverages that have been eliminated for her specialty were eliminated for Medicare under Bush!

I knew I was happy about the ACA and my new insurance but I had no idea the incredible everyday peace of mind it would provide me. I feel safer under this President, not only because of his Foreign Policy practices, but because of things like the ACA, that truly effect my personal feeling of being “covered”.

• 51 MadameSoph
      June 27, 2014 at 5:40 pm

Nerdy Wonka, the title of this post is also perfect: my insurance bill is now definitely less than my cable bill (and I get much better service and quality from CoveredCA than Charter, by the way! :-) )

• 52 Nerdy Wonka
        June 27, 2014 at 5:58 pm

Thanks so much the feedback, MadameSoph. I’m happy that ObamaCare is working out perfectly well for you and that you now have true peace of mind.

• 53 mtmarilyn
        June 27, 2014 at 6:44 pm

• 54 mtmarilyn
          June 27, 2014 at 6:48 pm

I don’t know how this got under this post. I was trying to reply to HZ. WP is acting crazy.

• 55 mtmarilyn
        June 27, 2014 at 6:45 pm

WOW MadameSoph, what a wonderful report. You are who this President is working for!

• 56 GGail
      June 27, 2014 at 6:17 pm

MadamSoph, I hear the elation in your writing and I’m so happy that you have peace of mind. To have medical coverage without going broke is very important and PBO gets it!

That’s why it would be so wrong of us as citizens to sit out the mid-term elections and not support a President who has done so much for the everyday man, woman and child.

• 57 MadameSoph
        June 27, 2014 at 8:58 pm

GGail, you are so right! I am so glad the President is out there reminding people who is on their side. I remind f&f every day how important EVERY election is.

I was also so happy to see O’Malley fired up and ready to go for 2014. That’s what we need from any Dem that wants our support beyond the midterms.

• June 27, 2014 at 9:19 pm

I loved your post and i am so glad your were given a clean bill of health.

17. 60 Nena20409
    June 27, 2014 at 5:22 pm

Almost 8 months pregnant and she competed. I tip off my hat to her and her baby.

See her Roar,……Run…. Yes!

18. 63 Nena20409
    June 27, 2014 at 5:30 pm
  19. 66 Nena20409
    June 27, 2014 at 5:43 pm

The main reason A Dem has a chance in KS this Nov.

20. 67 Nena20409
    June 27, 2014 at 5:46 pm

TBGOPers in DC are wickedly clueless on Comprehensive Immigration Reform.

21. 68 donna dem 4 obama
    June 27, 2014 at 5:52 pm
  22. 69 Nena20409
    June 27, 2014 at 5:56 pm

Should First Ladies be sexy too? Seriously?

I say, FLOTUS has it, but that is not all she’s got. She is a Human Being with compassion.

Some are born with it. Some try hard to be sexy. And some try and never will be sexy.

photo/1

• 70 GGail
      June 27, 2014 at 6:21 pm

It’s us who put those titles on the First Lady. First and foremost they are people just like you and me – so why shouldn’t they be all of the above?

I know my President is patriotic, and fine, smart and good-looking, intelligent and handsome, compassionate and cute, cool and sexy :D

June 27, 2014 at 6:48 pm

And my First Lady is patriotic, smart and good-looking, intelligent, lovely, compassionate, down to earth, a great Mom, and sexy too. So what do they want the First Lady to look like?

23. 74 Nena20409
    June 27, 2014 at 6:34 pm

Such a lengthy link…. ;)

Have you been following the news about Obamacare? The Affordable Care Act has receded from the front page, but information about how it’s going keeps coming in — and almost all the news is good. Indeed, health reform has been on a roll ever since March, when it became clear that enrollment would surpass expectations despite the teething problems of the federal website.

What’s interesting about this success story is that it has been accompanied at every step by cries of impending disaster. At this point, by my reckoning, the enemies of health reform are 0 for 6. That is, they made at least six distinct predictions about how Obamacare would fail — every one of which turned out to be wrong.

“To err is human,” wrote Seneca. “To persist is diabolical.” Everyone makes incorrect predictions. But to be that consistently, grossly wrong takes special effort. So what’s this all about?

24. 75 dotster3
    June 27, 2014 at 6:34 pm

This is despicable. Montana judge sentences a convicted rapist to only a 30 day jail sentence——a h.s. instructor convicted of raping his 14 yr. old student, judge saying she was partly responsible for her rape. The girl later killed herself. He now faces censure, deserves way worse. And, as a side note, he’s the same judge who just told a fast food worker to get “a real job” in order to faster pay restitution.

25. 79 dotster3
    June 27, 2014 at 6:48 pm
  26. June 27, 2014 at 6:50 pm
  27. June 27, 2014 at 6:59 pm
    • June 27, 2014 at 7:25 pm

But but but, America is done with PBO! Chuckie tells me so!

June 27, 2014 at 7:37 pm

You should listen to those idiots on Hardball. I turn the channel. The Republicans are eager to vote this November, the Democrats aren’t. The Republicans will keep control of the House and likely get the Senate. Obama should have been going after the Republicans last year, like he was today, this week. That bit was from David Corn. The other guy from Time was talking about Obama wasn’t on the ticket so Dems wouldn’t come out to vote. Obama is lame duck, so I had enough of it and turn it. Steve Kornacki, I guess that is how you spell his name, he is hosting hardball.

28. June 27, 2014 at 7:05 pm

Congrats on 2nd (and 1st) VC!! :)

Superb as always NW, and totally relevant to why the GOP is now totally out of control. Thank you!

29. June 27, 2014 at 7:18 pm

SF always does Pride Week in style!

June 27, 2014 at 7:31 pm

TY, Betsey & Bobfr!
    Also, TY, Amk 4 trying to dial it down because of the chilluns in the village – much, much appreciated ;) -tho you forget too! (ps. No matter what CC says, sometimes I do refrain from retweeting really good, pertinent tweets because of too colourful language. :oops:)

June 27, 2014 at 7:39 pm

OH PLEASE! It was a ruse, vc:) Did you read his “Jokes” after he mentioned the sensitive kiddos? Please, oh please!! :) :)

31. June 27, 2014 at 7:37 pm

Holy moly, I’m in moderation. Too many hashtags.

32. 108 MightyPamela
    June 27, 2014 at 7:40 pm

You know, two weeks ago I started thinking to write a letter to President Obama. I talked myself out of it, because I don’t want to add anything to his workload, which is more than 150,000 people together can carry. Then I heard he was going to spend the day wth Rebekah, and now he has sent us an email ASKING us to write him. Sheesh. So, I’m back to wanting to, but for sure it will get lost in the deluge of letters he’s going to receive, and mine is so darned complicated now, I am afraid it will take up several pages. My dilemma, how to condense it so it makes sense, yet still give the big picture. That’s where I’m at today. All suggestions welcome. Plan is to draft it on iPad, then draft again, edit, correct, and then write it out in longhand (my penmanship was excellent, once upon a time!) ;) Thoughts are welcome.

• 109 0388jojothecat
      June 27, 2014 at 7:56 pm

Hi MightyPamela. I suggest everyone (including me) who received an email to write President Obama to do it. Even if it’s to say “I GOT YOUR BACK!”. I don’t have a story like Rebecka’s but I want him to know that I’ve got his back. That the folks on TOD got is back and we are 50 states strong and Worldwide strong who understands and appreciates what he and Mrs. Obama is doing for our country and the world. It is witnessed by the love you receive wherever you go in the United States and around the world. The media might not tell the world but here at TOD we know you and celebrate you everyday. We love you!

• June 27, 2014 at 8:17 pm

Well, as POTUS said today, he views and treasures these letters as manifestations of HOPE. I think what resonates with PBO is simple honest truth and the way people’s lives reflect that. How government and communities inform what we do and feel and what can be done for the good of all. So I would say, just speak your truth from your heart and make your voice heard. Speak to him as if he were sitting in front of you, sharing your company.

Even just the process of writing is worthwhile. Send it to him and who knows what will happen?!

• 111 MightyPamela
      June 27, 2014 at 9:02 pm

I will most certainly write. Thank you m’dears.

33. June 27, 2014 at 7:40 pm

Texas Dem Convention in progress:

34. June 27, 2014 at 7:44 pm

Watching a docu on BBC4, “When Albums Ruled the World”. Big corporations generally ruin everything.

35. 115 a4alice
    June 27, 2014 at 7:46 pm

just got done listening to the President at Lake Harriet. What a great speech – really spoke to what is happening in Washington and not give up and fall prey to cynicism

36. June 27, 2014 at 7:46 pm

Wonderful post, NW and such a great energy here in the comments. Pres. Obama is amazing! I think Pres. Obama is giving the GOP a “Please proceed” experience on immigration reform. I saw the article posted here that he was waiting to take action on deportation, giving the House a chance to act before he used an executive order for reform. The pressure has mounted and the GOP has blatantly obstructed as usual. When he acts it will be mighty. There is so much good news happening and it feels like a powerful river flowing through everything in this country. The GOP and much of the MSM are in their bubble, not seeing what is going on. President Obama doesn’t stop. He follows his vision and acts on it with strength. I have such a good feeling about positive change coming and the GOP will be standing with their mouths open like they did on election night 2012.

37. 119 dotster3
    June 27, 2014 at 7:54 pm

I’ve decided that a big chunk of present day Repubs, especially the tea party wing, are actually mentally ill. They are so deranged or deluded they will believe any preposterous conspiracy theory that comes along, make outrageous accusations and threats against President Obama. Not normal behavior. Hardball just covered the Repub who is challenging the winner of a primary, saying the real candidate is dead, was killed by the World Court in Ukraine, and the candidate who won is a body double. Not normal. And the Ms. tea party guy who committed suicide yesterday was obviously troubled. There are so many examples of just nutty false beliefs and disturbed and unhinged statements by so many Repubs. I think they have an epidemic on their hands.

38. June 27, 2014 at 7:54 pm

Noel Gallagher: “I made ten albums. And they’re not up to [Nevermind the Bollocks]. And I’m an arrogant bastard.”
    :lol:

39. June 27, 2014 at 7:58 pm
  40. 122 dotster3
    June 27, 2014 at 8:00 pm

Interesting….

• 123 Don
      June 27, 2014 at 8:16 pm

Funny how it is a given that the guy has muscles to begin with, but with President Obama his starting point is from a position of weakness.

41. 124 Don
    June 27, 2014 at 8:10 pm

Who could have imagined that the election of a black man as President would drive so many white people insane?

June 27, 2014 at 8:17 pm

Not I.

• 127 Don
        June 27, 2014 at 8:27 pm

Thank you jacquline, for letting me see the idiocy of my statement.

June 27, 2014 at 8:37 pm

Well, I hope you don’t think I thought your statement was idiotic … just the insane white people you were talking about! What’s particularly crazy to me is that it isn’t “just” the backwoods duck dynastic whites who’ve been so openly torqued by it, but lots of people who walk around who’ve previously shut their damn mouths about black Americans because they “knew better.” I’ll leave it there because I do not understand it, and cannot make even one intelligent statement about it!

So, no, your statement was not idiotic to me. And I hope mine doesn’t sound idiotic to you!

• June 27, 2014 at 8:27 pm

To be honest, I thought PBO’s inherent honesty, integrity and earnest ability to improve our future would make a huge difference to people who resisted him in the beginning. That the pragmatic work he did to save this country from the brink of SO many problems and issues would convince people of his greatness.

But as we have seen, racism is very deeply entrenched in such a vast swath, it’s breaking open and aggravating the worst of humanity and the very notion of our sense of United States. My question is, are we witnessing a sort of horrific evil before an enlightenment over time or are we simply amplifying the ugly hearts of those who are fighting tooth and nail to dominate us?

• 130 Don
        June 27, 2014 at 8:37 pm

I had hope that the nobleness of President Obama’s actions would have been enough to soften the hearts of his most ardent detractors. One would think that even a man that was drowning would accept help. The ugliness that is being directed at President Obama is not taking place in a vacuum, it is being helped along by the very people that need all the help that they can get.

42. 132 donna dem 4 obama
    June 27, 2014 at 8:30 pm
    • 133 HZ
      June 27, 2014 at 10:59 pm

You know Donna and my TOD family what hurts still in my heart is the fact that Dr. Sharon Malone Holder, our beloved AG Eric Holder’s wife’s sister Vivian Malone was one of those students. I will remember that day until I leave this earth. The hurt comes because I see how our President and his Attorney General, Eric Holder has been treated and it makes my blood boil.

These GOPers and all of their people know what happen to Vivian Malone, Mrs. Eric Holder’s sister; and I know that they are the same person(s) with the same mindset as George Wallace had on that summer day in June. Do not think for a minute that these people only see pigmentation of PBO and Eric Holder. It burns these vile men and women’s very being when they see President Barack Obama and Attorney General, Eric Holder hold the office that we, the people sent them to hold. I know AG Eric Holder was nominated by PBO. But those of us who are in our golden years went through this crap with the Malone family and my own dear friends that I grew up with; and we are tired, very tired, But we will Not give up. This stuff is deep and real.

So keep your faith in what you believe and hope for this beautiful and brilliant President and his entire Cabinet. We must not give up. Stand Together and Keep his back, please. I love my President and AG Holder and of course Dr. Sharon Malone Holder. This is personal and serious for our TOD family; and we will Not back away. What we do here is too precious for so many generations to come.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{ I love you, Chips. And I also thank you so much. }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}HZ

43. June 27, 2014 at 8:30 pm

New post in a min or three

44. June 27, 2014 at 8:30 pm