Jul

We Owe It To Those Who Endured Then, And Acted Then, To Endure Now And Act Now

by Japa (@deaconmill)

Folks, I am just going to ask that you bear with me while you read the following:

50 years ago, the Civil Rights Act became law. As LBJ said at the time, doing so lost the South for a generation.

(Actually, he underestimated a bit there).

Also, the Civil Rights Act led to the GOP Southern Strategy which brought us Ronald Reagan, the President most responsible for much that is wrong in America today.

Also the Civil Rights Act led, eventually, to the rise of the power of the Christian Right Wing.

The Civil Rights Act led, eventually, to the current Supreme Court and the major attempts by the GOP to undermine voting rights.

And I can point out many things wrong in our society which sprung from the reaction to the Civil Rights Act.

So, was it worth it with all these negatives?

Hell, yes.

For one thing, without it, PBO would not be President today.

But there is so much more that would not exist without this having happened 50 years ago. The Civil Rights Act is the antecedent from which flowed many other things, laws to protect workers, women, children, the disabled, the LGTB community and many more.

But here is another thing. If LBJ had not muscled through the CRA, who knows when anything like it may have been passed. Like the ACA, there is a time to grab for something and if the opportunity isn’t taken, another opportunity might not come around for a long time.

We still have a long way to go, and as I have said several times, as a white male, I can only guess at what all the various minorities face.

But I will say this. A lot of people who really weren’t all that aware of how much racism there was in the country, or who only thought it existed in the South, had their eyes opened simply by the reaction to the CRA. And I think a lot more are getting their eyes opened by the reaction to PBO.

Forward movement is never painless. And if we aren’t willing to endure the pain and the struggles, like jumping through hoops to vote, then we won’t move forward.

It is one thing to complain about how the obstacles shouldn’t be there, it is another to do things despite the obstacles. And it was the willingness to do things despite the obstacles that ultimately resulted in this day 50 years ago.

As has become a theme the last couple days, we owe it to those who endured then, and acted then, to endure now and act now, or, as Pierce put, we will deserve the country and the government that we get.

100 Responses to “We Owe It To Those Who Endured Then, And Acted Then, To Endure Now And Act Now”

• 2 Dudette
      July 2, 2014 at 8:35 pm

Simply outstanding!

• July 2, 2014 at 10:02 pm

Thanks for your twitter BT shout out the other day…….been busy recovering from the USMNT defeat :(

• July 3, 2014 at 11:05 am

No problem at all LP! <3 You!

That was a tough loss for me too! Proud of our guys though. I'm thrilled at how their performance brought the country together for a brief time. Looking forward to more from them.

• 5 Judith Fardig
      July 2, 2014 at 9:40 pm

Congratulations to Japa on a powerful post and to lovelyplains to be the first to check it out. Congress used to do big things.

1. July 2, 2014 at 7:55 pm

Huge thanks to Carolyn and VC for letting me know about Japa’s comment, I missed it earlier after being on Danny business.

Japa, this is just so powerful and beautiful – and inspirational.

“We owe it to those who endured then, and acted then, to endure now and act now” – nothing more to add.

Some really fantastic comments today, still catching up with most of them, will include a few in tomorrow’s R&S.

You’re highly excellent people.

• 7 japa21
      July 2, 2014 at 8:12 pm

Chips, thank you. But in regards to your last statement, whatever excellence we may have is in response to you. Without this place to come and express my feelings and thoughts, most of it would be a mumble jumble in my head. The comment above is really just a compilation of various things I have read right here.

I can accuse myself of having been complacent in the past. Oh, I have always voted in every election in which I could, primaries, mid-terms, general, local contests. And I used to think, when I left the polling booth, well, that’s it, I have done my duty.

But I really hadn’t. I hadn’t looked around to see if there was someone else who struggled to be able to do the same thing I had just done. I hadn’t looked to see if someone couldn’t get to the polls on their own and I could help.

I hadn’t looked around to see if someone who wanted to vote was having trouble registering.

I hadn’t looked around to see if there was someone confused about the issues, issues I understood, and could have explained to them.

I hadn’t looked around to see if there was someone who thought elections didn’t matter and see if I could convince them they did.

During the 60’s as so many were actively involved in the struggle for civil rights, even after the CRA was signed, I stood apart. Oh, I admired those that marched, those that were willing to be beaten and jailed. I even talked about the meaning of Selma in my HS graduation address (I suppose that took a little courage on my part, attending a lily white school in the suburbs of Milwaukee). But I didn’t really do anything. I let others do the hard work and I applauded from the stands.

Oh, I have talked about how 2004, 2008 and 2012 were critical elections, but I let others do the work. And 2010, I just did my normal, as did many others, and we see the result now.

This year is different. I don’t know exactly what I will be doing, but I will be doing something more than just voting and watching the results.

July 2, 2014 at 8:20 pm

At about your second “I hadn’t looked around,” I found myself tearing up. Thanks for prompting us all to look around, get up, do more, and give President Obama the Congress he needs!

And I agree with everything you wrote about Chips and her lovely blog. She and Nerdy and all of you are truly inspirational.

July 2, 2014 at 8:22 pm

{{{{{japa}}}}} This should be everyone’s mantra from now on. Exquisite in its directness and its call to our collective responsibility as citizens…to preserve those rights that others fought for hard for all those years ago. We can never again think that we’ve done enough by just voting alone. To the end of our days, we must pay attention and fight to keep the gains that made America something more special…we still have so much work to do, while reaching back and giving a helping hand up to our neighbors, friends and strangers that we engage in conversations.America can not be a truly exceptional country until we are all truly free and able to reach our own highest potential. Thank you for writing this.

• 10 GGAIL
        July 2, 2014 at 8:57 pm

Bravo japa! You’re plugged in now. You would be a huge asset to your local OFA branch. Doesn’t take a lot of your time and the rewards are unbelievable.

YES. YOU. CAN!

• 11 Judith Fardig
        July 2, 2014 at 9:44 pm

So well put and an inspiration to each of us to get out of the stands, walk beyond our comfort zone, and talk to people about the critical importance of 2014 elections.

July 2, 2014 at 9:17 pm

From me – huge thanks to Hopefruit for bringing it to my attention. :grin:

2. July 2, 2014 at 7:58 pm

I can’t imagine what it would feel like to be able to do many of the things we take for granted after being paralyzed:

The news: A wearable, computer-controlled brace that has enabled dozens of Europeans with paralysis to walk won FDA approval on Friday.
    The suit, produced by Argo Medical Technologies and sold under the name ReWalk, was created by Israeli inventor Amit Goffer, who lost the ability to move his arms and legs after an ATV accident in the 1990s.

Here’s how it works: Someone using ReWalk would wear a fitted, metal brace to support her legs and part of her upper body and a remote control on her wrist. With a touch of a button, she would command the entire device to help her sit down, stand up or walk. Everything that powers the technology, including its computer and power supply, fits into a small backpack.

Since it was first introduced in 2011, dozens of people with paralysis have used the technology to walk, mostly in Europe, where the device won approval almost immediately after its release. In 2012, Claire Lomas, who is paralyzed from the chest-down, used the exoskeleton to complete the London Marathon. In the U.S., Marine Corps Captain Derek Herrera will be one of the first Americans to own ReWalk under the new clearance. “I see this as a milestone for people in my same situation who will now have access to this technology to experience walking again”

• 14 0388jojothecat
      July 2, 2014 at 8:09 pm

This is so amazing and wonderful.

July 2, 2014 at 8:10 pm

Ugh! ‘…video not available in your country’ – I guess they don’t realize we want to rewalk too!

• July 2, 2014 at 8:19 pm

There is a separate video link in the tweet (by the company that manufactures the product) on top of the CBS morning video….. if that doesn’t work try ‘ReWalk by ARGO’ in a Google/Youtube search….hopefully you can see some of the amazing testimonials!

• 18 arapaho415
      July 2, 2014 at 8:46 pm

Kudos to CBS news for airing this story, and to LP for posting it here.

I’ve read that what damages the psyche the most for people in wheelchairs is that they are always shorter than everyone else, since they’re sitting while others are standing.

As a short person, I completely understand. I avoid crowds because I literally cannot breathe (my nose is below most people’s shoulders) and really don’t like people who reach over my head to get an item off a shelf in a store — it’s as if I’m not there, and their action invades my space.

I hope this exoskelton replaces wheelchairs for those who have good mobility in their arms. I’ve also read that orchestra conductors are typically long-lived (of course there are exceptions) because of the upper body workout their jobs require.

3. July 2, 2014 at 8:02 pm

On the morning of Jan. 6, 2007, U.S. Marine Corporal Joshua Hoffman and his platoon were notified of possible insurgent activity near their station in Fallujah, Iraq. When they arrived and began a sweep of an alley, Hoffman, a tall, strapping former wrestler with a passion for muscle cars, stood out. A sniper perched in a building behind him fired a single 7.62-millimeter round that tore through his neck, shattered his upper spine, and knocked him to the ground, paralyzed and unable to breathe. In the scramble to save him, a trachea tube inserted to prevent asphyxiation severed his vocal cords, depriving him, on top of everything else, of the ability to speak….

One evening at a fireworks show, an American Legion member told him about an amazing contraption she’d seen: a modified wheelchair with tanklike treads that could climb stairs and ford a stream. A veterans group, the Independence Fund, was raising money to buy them for wounded soldiers and marines. Was he interested?…

That’s how Hoffman came to know Brad Soden. Soden is the inventor of the Tankchair, which is a wheelchair in the same sense that an aircraft carrier is a boat. His fearsome-looking machine can traverse rugged hillsides, sandy beaches, snowy embankments, and, with a top speed approaching 30 miles per hour, keep up with traffic on a typical city street. Its brain is built by a company that designs Apache helicopter control systems, so the chair can elevate to a standing position or fully recline to aid blood flow. Some versions have gun mounts and fishing reels. Some have roll bars. A few glow in the dark. One chair Soden built for a paralyzed Phoenix police officer has a “vomit light” to neutralize suspects—a pulsing LED so powerfully incapacitating that it induces nausea. If Michael Bay had devoted himself to making medical equipment instead of action movies, this is what he would have built…..continued

• 23 forus50
      July 2, 2014 at 8:27 pm

LP,
      What an amazing story! Oh my gosh I can’t believe it –that video is a must see. This guy should win best inventor of the year and I only hope Pres. Obama can see this video and maybe invite him to the White House.

• July 2, 2014 at 8:31 pm

And he is doing it for all the right reasons, Forus! I have had a hard time getting re-watching the video. The widow who gets to keep her farm and horses, the father who gets to play w/ his young son, the combat vet who is now in flight school…WOW.

• 25 forus50
          July 2, 2014 at 11:52 pm

Yes and yes, for all the right reasons. Oh my gosh, this is such a great story from every aspect; how and why he got into doing it, that he had no previous studies or knowledge of how to do it, that there were so many naysayers and yet it is all just brilliant. Cool, cool.

4. July 2, 2014 at 8:04 pm

PBO TO CONGRESS: PASS A BILL, SOLVE A PROBLEM, DON’T JUST SAY “NO”.

Boehner caught flopping on political pitch

———————————————

Rachel Maddow points out that the White House is making hay of the House GOP complaining that President Obama is overreaching while they set a record for doing the least of any Congress, including important, necessary things like paying for roads.

———————————————–

July 2, 2014 at 8:05 pm

So busy enjoying Chips and the parrot that wasn’t I missed the entrance to this post! I bet that was a conspiracy! /frown/

6. 29 forus50
    July 2, 2014 at 8:15 pm

Japa,
    Even though we all have similar thoughts, thoughts need to be put into words. As a then famous Senator in 2008 once said, “Words matter.”

Thank your for yours.

• 30 japa21
      July 2, 2014 at 8:18 pm

Thank you. AS I mentioned above, these words are basically a compilation of things others have said here.

July 2, 2014 at 8:15 pm

Chips – Thanks for highlighting “japa’s” comments, which are so very thought provoking! Good evening, TOD. We got this.

8. 32 99ts
    July 2, 2014 at 8:17 pm

Thanks japa – another fab post on TOD – everyone seems to have the PBO attitude and strength – no matter what they hit me with – we are still here – and still moving forward.

On a health related issue – can anyone tell me why doctors/hospitals are NEVER on time with anything! Took 3 hours yesterday for some tests for Mr 99 – we were told it would be 30 minutes (the actual tests were 40 minutes, the rest, waiting here and waiting there). The hospital was freezing, I now have a cold – and the carpark at $36!! cost us more than the co-pay for the tests.

• 33 0388jojothecat
      July 2, 2014 at 8:28 pm

This is just a guess I don’t have any facts just observation. I had a doctor back in the 1980’s who was always late. If I had a 2PM appointment he would not see me until close to 3 or 4PM. One day I told him I always have to wait to see him and when I did I got the bums rush of not having him visit with me for more than a half hour. He told me that the majority of his patients were elderly and they took a long time to treat. After that I switched doctors. I think with our aging population and now with the ACA (99ts I know you are in Australia but you do have universal healthcare for the whole country) there are just too many people on our planet, not enough doctors and we are not very healthy.

• 34 99ts
        July 2, 2014 at 8:42 pm

We (Mr 99 & I) are part of that aging population jojo – but it never ceases to amaze me that doctors will book appts every 10 minutes when they know they will take much longer. If any other industry kept folks waiting for hours on end – they wouldn’t be in business! It used to be said that doctors needed managers – but the introduction of same seems to make things worse! I must think about this some more – the never ending waste of resources by folks waiting hours every day is crazy.

You are so right about the age/medical care relationship. Until I was 50 the only time I visited doctors was for birth control script or the opposite – when I had a babe! 50 onwards – never ending!

• 35 0388jojothecat
          July 2, 2014 at 9:01 pm

I only go to the Dr. for annual physical, annual checkups, etc. I rarely get sick and when I do the Dr. takes me pretty quick especially when I try to self medicate and it doesn’t work.

So many countries have an aging population because of the expensive drugs and procedures that prolong our lives. This is good and bad…..good that we are not overpopulating and bad that there are so few young people to take care of the aged.

9. July 2, 2014 at 8:17 pm

Greetings Obots.

I second all of John’s points. Too many good people suffered indignities, violence, and even death fighting to secure a more just nation. We their heirs can’t meekly accept “fate”.

I myself have had a lovely day. Spent all day doing librarian things: reference, reading, and writing reports.

10. 37 Nena20409
    July 2, 2014 at 8:23 pm

Excellent Essay Japa. Thanks.

11. July 2, 2014 at 8:25 pm

So manchin is putting in a rider and holding up the Import export bill for this bullshit?

• 40 Judith Fardig
      July 2, 2014 at 9:48 pm

Manchin is a tool of the coal industry in his state and unwilling to grasp the impact of climate change on all of us.

July 2, 2014 at 8:27 pm

We love our President!

• July 2, 2014 at 8:29 pm

Now the wa post says the WH can’t explain gender equal pay gap in the WH.
      This is recycled from ny times crap in 2011.
      Wtf?

• 43 Nena20409
        July 2, 2014 at 8:38 pm

It has been recycled a number of times this year at the WH press briefings.

The questions raised, my guess, was due to the ruling by the SCOTUS yesterday……Hence the WHPC and the DC/NY pundits need a distraction/s……Then they attack and piggyback to Wage Gap and Quinnipiac Poll……a known flawed poll, but to negatively drive a narrative over this 3/4 days weekend is at play here.

Note: The media is NOT discussing any Transportation issue…..in weeks, the Funds will not be there starting Aug 1. Nothing on the VA crisis by the GOP House. Nothing on Jobs. Only spin on polls and Wage Gap.

13. 44 Nena20409
    July 2, 2014 at 8:31 pm

I Read the comments made on a WH spokeswoman.

I am disgusted with the US media. I have been now for over 22 yrs and more so the last 5.6yrs.

But it is the duty of a WH Spokesperson to be (A) Prepared (B) Crystal Clear (C) Factually based. Failure on those basic communication skills is nothing, but dereliction of duty.

At the WH presser today there were a couple of questions on poll/popularity/ability to persuade the public. Having read the comments on the last thread, this spokesperson obviously didn’t do her home work.

When POTUS is interviewed he does a great job. This spokesperson should do her job when on TV, Cable, etc.

• July 2, 2014 at 8:38 pm

Not for nothing but the bush WH had a better communication network than this WH.
      Don’t flame me for saying that, but any WH that sells us an Iraq war (bush WH) that had nothing to do with 9/11 and then is not held accountable, has some serious connections.

• 46 99ts
        July 2, 2014 at 8:46 pm

Everything about communications with this administration is related to black President. It has everything to do with the GOP using racism to ensure minimal good, and maximum bad is in the political news each and every day. Look at the color of the WHPC – says it all.

• 48 Nena20409
        July 2, 2014 at 8:55 pm

I won’t flame you. The 9-11 attacks helped GW Bush and Dems backed down….they wanted a One Nation mentality. Until that horrific attacks, GW Bush was mercilessly mocked by the Nightly Comics and the MSM. Fox was dutifully driving the GW Bush narrative, but was woefully failing until the Drum-up to War in Afghanistan and then the lies to bombard Iraq. Fox started beating CNN in ratings in Feb 2002.

I do believe that it was the benefit of doubt given to Senators Snowe and Collins that gave sen McConnell the Hell No on everything Life. The Obama Team were genuine in wanting to change the divisiveness in DC. They bent over backwards. Waiting on the senate race in MN to resolve and so Dem senators like Leahy, Lieberman and the retiring senator from MI……then 2 senators terminally ill, Kennedy and Byrd…..then a Nation is economic crisis with two wars…….. USA was burning from every angle.

I take my hat off to the Obama Team…..Auto Industry collapsing and the Banking system decimated……No such calamity all at once since the 1860s.

Today….the Media pretend that US is struggling? Compared to what exactly? They ignore the 2008-early 2010.

• 49 jackiegrumbacher
          July 2, 2014 at 10:13 pm

Excellent overview, Nena. The Obama administration confronted a hot mess that would have defeated a lesser mortal than the president. He fought on and his successes have been astonishing.

14. 50 dotster3
    July 2, 2014 at 8:31 pm

Thank you japa for your well-thought words.

And here is John Oliver on the Hobby Lobby case on the night before the horrific decision…..

• 51 arapaho415
      July 2, 2014 at 9:55 pm

John Oliver has always cracked me up, glad he’s doing well with his HBO show.

Loved his opening, “after tomorrow’s two cases, the only cases the Supreme Court will consider is pool-noodle-versus-pool-noodle and mouth-versus-margarita.” LOL.

The media really needs to report on this decision the way that Oliver does — that it’s an extension of Citizens United, expanding the theme that “corporations are people” — only R-Money and his acolytes believe that, and we all know how well R-money did in 2012.

15. 52 arapaho415
    July 2, 2014 at 8:33 pm

Japa21,

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to post your excellent thoughts as comments here.

I posted a couple of tweets this morning about the 50th anniversary of the 1964 CRA, but a reminder that President Johnson signed this when the search was still on for the three Yankee students enrolling voters in the South — their bodies would be found later, in July 1964.

Also a reminder that the Ashland Oregon Shakespeare festival is not just about Shakespeare:

This tweet provides a link to the same @LATimes Op-Ed that was published over the weekend:

16. 53 Dudette
    July 2, 2014 at 8:33 pm

17. 54 Dudette
    July 2, 2014 at 8:34 pm

July 2, 2014 at 8:40 pm

It doesn’t matter to those racists that they are kids, they are not white kids, that’s all that matter to the KKK Tea partiers Republicans.

• 56 japa21
        July 2, 2014 at 8:52 pm

If they were kids fleeing Poland or Ukraine for some reason, they would be supporting them fully. Or Cuba.

They are total hypocrites.

• 57 arapaho415
      July 2, 2014 at 8:54 pm

The worst part is that the shameful actions by the citizens of Murietta was incited by their (no doubt RWNJ) mayor — articles about him don’t mention his party affiliation, but he looks even more robotic than R-money:

• 58 dotster3
      July 2, 2014 at 9:03 pm

Whatever one’s thoughts on immigration, I can’t imagine any (decent) person thinking this is OK——yelling “No one wants you!” at a bus full of innocent children. Adults screaming and full of hate and out of control. A deeply shameful action.

• July 3, 2014 at 12:06 am

I wish those on the buses could replace those on the ground wanting them gone. I want the haters to leave. Guess my Native American side deserves to be able to express those thoughts.

18. July 2, 2014 at 8:36 pm

wonderful day of coverage TOD – thank you.

My mother grew up in the Police State that was Jim Crow Mississippi.

My father would have been FORTY-TWO YEARS OLD, if he had stayed in the state of his birth, before he would have been able to vote. And this is AFTER he put on the uniform for this country and put his life on the line for a country that had him – in the laws on the books- as a second-class citizen.

My maternal grandmother, a Black woman who had her Masters Degree before she married in 1910, was unable to vote in Mississippi because she couldn’t pass the ‘literacy’ test.

The GOP doesn’t understand – this Voter Suppression shyt they’re doing is PERSONAL. And folks will never forget it.

• 61 arapaho415
      July 2, 2014 at 9:03 pm

Shameful what citizens of this country did its fellow citizens, many of whom had been in this country longer than any of them (consider the Native Americans and descendants of slaves brought here in the 17th and 18th centuries.

The “literacy” tests were appalling, just as yesterday’s SCOTUS decision against contraception for women was.

As an aside, if 57andFemale is still here — she mentioned that some of her gay friends said they would no longer be involved in politics now that marriage equality is becoming a reality.

And who is responsible for this swing toward marriage equality? Could it be “BFD” Biden and PBO?

Are there any other issues of equality that doesn’t involve who your partner is that still need to be addressed (i.e., women’s contraceptives, middle-class parity instead of 1% trickle-down, gun safety, voter rights, etc.)?

The people 57F referred to are what are known as “single-issue voters,” but fairness and equality applies to everyone, regardless of your sexual orientation.

19. 62 Dudette
    July 2, 2014 at 8:36 pm

20. 63 forus50
    July 2, 2014 at 8:37 pm

This is Chipsticks on the Left (of course!) looking for the woman in Kasai’s parrot picture. https://twitter.com/shadoperson650/status/476764173981200384

21. 80 Dudette
    July 2, 2014 at 8:41 pm

22. 81 GGAIL
    July 2, 2014 at 8:45 pm

Japa, thank you for making this a Post. When I read it as a comment, I felt it should be posted.

• 82 japa21
      July 2, 2014 at 8:48 pm

Thank Chips. As she said, there has been a veritable bounty of great comments today which deserve special attention. I am humbled she selected this one.

23. July 2, 2014 at 8:48 pm

One thing that has really bothered me about all the pundits/congressman claiming we should have bombed Syria, is they never point out the point of bombing Syria was to help the rebels…….which were partly comprised w/ ISIL. These folks wanted us to bomb Assad, not the ‘rebels’………so it makes absolutely no sense making the argument that airstrikes would have prevented ISIL to move into Iraq. The point of bombing Assad was to prevent him from using chemical weapons. It is a B.S. attack on President Obama, and the media whitewashes it along w/ his success…..

The final remnants are being destroyed as we speak:

…..and yet it still doesn’t make any form of news on any network broadcast

24. July 2, 2014 at 8:55 pm

Treason.

25. 87 arapaho415
    July 2, 2014 at 9:18 pm

Here’s my response to a RWNJ’s comment on Admiral Michelle Howard’s promotion to four-star Admiral:

Original tweet:

My response:

26. 90 Nena20409
    July 2, 2014 at 9:20 pm

July 2, 2014 at 9:23 pm

All Scalia’s doing now is sitting around eating cake or something, not caring what anyone thinks of him or his version of “law.” There’s the rub.

• 92 Nena20409
        July 2, 2014 at 9:31 pm

Frankly J’OB, Scalia NEVER did care. He was so frustrated in 1996 that it was reported that he wanted to retire from the SCOTUS. Then The Impeachment happened and changed his mind.

For a brilliant Justice, his Opus Dei Orthodoxy is how the man has ruled from get go. Nothing else matters.

27. 93 Dudette