Jul

#ActOnClimate? President Obama Is

Bq_OCF6CQAA1gXF.jpg-large

Ari Phillips: The Energy Department Just Announced $4 Billion For Projects That Fight Global Warming

The U.S. Department of Energy on Thursday announced that it is issuing a loan guarantee program of up to $4 billion to support innovative renewable energy and energy efficiency projects that avoid, reduce, or sequester greenhouse gas emissions. In support of the Obama administration’s Climate Action Plan, the DOE identified five key technology areas for the loan program to support. One is advanced grid integration and storage, which essentially means technologies that better support renewable power on the electric grid. Another is drop-in biofuels, which are biofuels that can be used in existing infrastructure. The DOE also said the program would consider supporting waste-to-energy projects, energy efficiency improvement projects, and projects that would enhance existing hydroelectric facilities.

BrAbmSdCIAAisy5.jpg-large

The Loan Guarantee Program is designed to encourage private investment while minimizing risk to taxpayers. It doesn’t provide direct financing but rather brings down lending rates to help spur private investment. The Renewable Energy and Efficient Energy Projects Loan Guarantee Solicitation is the latest loan guarantee program issued by the Department. The DOE is also offering loan guarantees as part of the $8 billion Advanced Fossil Energy Projects program started last December and the $16 billion Advanced Technology Vehicle Manufacturing (ATVM) loan program. In June, Moniz also announced the awarding of $100 million for the Energy Frontier Research Centers (EFRCs) to facilitate advances in science related to energy production, storage, and use. Also last month the DOE announced $33 million in funding for 13 new projects aimed at developing transformational fuel cell technologies for low-cost distributed power generation.

More here

Bq_cEDwCYAEXk3t.jpg-large

120 Responses to “#ActOnClimate? President Obama Is”

July 7, 2014 at 6:49 pm

Hi, there, Mr. President!

2. 13 GGail
    July 7, 2014 at 6:49 pm

Hey J’OB – congrats!

3. July 7, 2014 at 6:51 pm

Congratulations J’OB! Gold!

4. July 7, 2014 at 6:53 pm

Has anyone seen the #HobbyLobbyLove hashtag? Bristol Palin’s attempt to support Hobby Lobby isn’t going well.

5. July 7, 2014 at 6:56 pm

Thank you, Ms. Wonka, for this news round up. Once again, instead of getting bogged down in the muck, our president just keeps looking ahead and doing what he has to do. I’ve rarely experienced such a relentless positive focus on making people’s lives better every day and facing enormous troubles with such intelligence and energy.

6. July 7, 2014 at 6:58 pm
  7. 30 MightyPamela
    July 7, 2014 at 6:59 pm

I <3 President Obama.

8. 31 laraofzhivago
    July 7, 2014 at 7:09 pm

Good Evening TODVille!

In spite of being ill with another infection, I’ve had a great weekend. I lurked everyday but was too weak to write anything or to opine.

Thanks Nerdy for the post. And a gold medal for Jacqueline.

My POTUS is doing a fine job in spite of the obstruction from the GOTP. And if Dems are too foolish to follow his steps, I don’t know what will happen to this country under the leadership of a right wing nut. And there are many positioning themselves, one being the Lens Crafters Governor from Texas, Mr. Oops.

9. 33 Cindy
    July 7, 2014 at 7:16 pm

Crazy Hardball Chris Matthews is getting it right.

He is asking the question; why are Dems not running on their success?

Dems have something to brag about; job numbers for June, job numbers for the past 5 months, stock market booming, auto industry saved, unemployment rate down. Why are they not telling the story to the American people and why are they running on gloom?

Chris spit mouth hyperventilating drama man is asking the right questions; why are Dems afraid to speak up on their accomplishments? I’ve always tried to understand this with Dems.

Repukes lie like a rug and happy to do so; nothing accomplished and they don’t apologize for it.
    We work our arrssssses off and get things done for the American people and we tend to be afraid to toot our own horns at time.

Just imagine if the repukes and their Republican President had done what President Obama has done…….just imagine. We know what it would sound like. The repukes come in and swoop up the credit and convince people that they did the good things. They had no shame taking credit from President Obama and giving it to Bush for Osama’s death. They were proud and they didn’t apologize.

We have GREAT things to be proud of and so much to talk about. We must tell our story, over and over and over, and we don’t need to apologize. America is better off because we have a Democratic President and his name is President Barack H. Obama; no need to be quiet about his accomplishments for this country.

• July 7, 2014 at 7:43 pm

THIS x 100,000 x 100,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 35 Vicki
      July 7, 2014 at 8:11 pm

I agree with you on the facts of your argument, Cindy. We should all be celebrating the great economic news.

But……..I haven’t watched Chris M. since he left his 5 o’clock hour. Today I was busy and I didn’t turn the TV off at 7.
      So
      I saw the first few minutes of Chris.
      What I saw was an Enemy who was turning the huge success of the economic upturn into a complaint about PBO’s poor communication skills. WTF????
      I turned the TV off when I saw Chris’ guests were Ed Rendell and Howard Ford. RW Corporate dems.
      Maybe they had good things to say but I was gone.

Here is my point: Good news should be reported as good news without negative spin. If you cannot do that re: POTUS, in my view you are getting it wrong.

If this is too harsh i’d appreciate somebody setting me straight.

• 36 0388jojothecat
        July 7, 2014 at 8:33 pm

I don’t watch Tweety because he’s off his meds and when he finally takes them and comes to his senses he has on stupid guest like Rendel and Ford…two Dinos I don’t care to listen too. I continued flipping channels.

• 37 Linda
        July 7, 2014 at 8:40 pm

I also turn to mute when I saw Ed and Harold….two DLCers

• 38 Cindy
        July 7, 2014 at 8:44 pm

Hi Vicki!
        Happy Monday to you!

I only listened to Chris when he asked; why are Dems not running on the good news because people don’t want to hear doom and gloom all of the time. I agree with that assessment and I’ve always asked that question.

What I didn’t agree with, is that he wanted President Obama to speak about his accomplishments.

I have always felt that President Obama should not have to toot his horn because the Dems should be doing it for him and obviously, the repukes would run all over him for doing it as they did with his announcement about Obama. I didn’t view it as negative because President Obama is not one to blow the horn but others can do it for him.

In my personal opinion, Dems have always had a problem in communication; not having a strong voice to go up against the repukes. The sad thing, no matter who is reporting the news, when it’s good and it’s good because of the Dems or President Obama, it is always followed by “but.” Reverend Al has done it, Lawrence and the others they all do it.

I witnessed the young lady from Texas on the Ed show, Sarah Sleman, and she articulated beautifully, her thoughts on the repukes and Perry and she didn’t back down. That is what I want to see the veteran Dems do; health care for millions, jobs, Dow up, unemployment rate down and so many good stories to tell. I’ve seen Dems with conviction and then they go on some of these shows and they sound like they are apologizing. We have a story to tell and President Obama doesn’t have to tell it. The Dems who benefits from his labor should be shouting from the mountain tops.

I can’t tell you about the other two guys. I didn’t see anymore after that. I just personally felt that he was asking the Dems the right question because I asked the same. Why are we not running on the great accomplishments that America is benefiting from?

• 40 jackiegrumbacher
        July 7, 2014 at 10:14 pm

Vicki–I 100 percent agree with you. Anyone who has Ed Rendell and Howard Ford on his show is just jerking your chain–they are professed anti-Obama Dems and have zero credibility. And frankly I would like to know who Chris is talking about other than the faux Dems on his show? Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi have been speaking out for some time now, as have those few (very few) Dems who are invited on talk shows. And all the candidates that I have personally heard are very vocal in their praise of the president.

July 7, 2014 at 7:21 pm
  11. July 7, 2014 at 7:25 pm
  12. 43 Judith Fardig
    July 7, 2014 at 7:31 pm

Hey Jacqueline, gold looks good on you! Ever since the stimulus, President Obama has been doing everything he can to put money and muscle into climate change abatement and alternative energy. Polluter moguls like the Koch Brothers and their ilk are furiously fighting back and trying to buy the Senate so they can throw an even bigger wrench into the gears of our government. Poor people live in the most polluted parts of our country and are most vulnerable to the ill effects of climate change. President Obama is very conscious of this social injustice.

13. 45 dotster3
    July 7, 2014 at 7:35 pm

The holiday weekend gun violence numbers in Chgo keep rising—-as of now, 82 gun victims, 14 fatalities. Shootout at the OK Corral. Heard today there has been 50,000 gun violence deaths since the Sandy Hook tragedy in 2012! Beyond shameful and unbelievable. How could anyone argue that this isn’t the #1 issue desperately in need of remedy in the U.S. right now?

14. July 7, 2014 at 7:44 pm

This may have been posted at TOD and I just missed it, but it’s important enough that want to be sure everyone reads it …

“How Hobby Lobby Undermined The Very Idea of a Corporation

clip

“That’s a question raised by 44 other law professors, who filed a friends-of-the-court brief that implored the Court to reject Hobby Lobby’s argument and hold the veil in place. Here’s what they argued:

Allowing a corporation, through either shareholder vote or board resolution, to take on and assert the religious beliefs of its shareholders in order to avoid having to comply with a generally-applicable law with a secular purpose is fundamentally at odds with the entire concept of incorporation. Creating such an unprecedented and idiosyncratic tear in the corporate veil would also carry with it unintended consequences, many of which are not easily foreseen.

In his opinion for Hobby Lobby, Justice Samuel Alito’s insisted the decision should be narrowly applied to the peculiarities of the case. But as my colleague Pat Caldwell writes, the logic of the argument is likely to invite a tide of new lawsuits, all with their own unintended consequences.

Small wonder, then, that despite congressional Republicans defending the Hobby Lobby decision as a victory for American business against the nanny state, the US Chamber of Commerce—the country’s main big business lobby—was quiet on the issue. Even more telling: Despite a record tide of friends-of-the-court briefs, not one Fortune 500 weighed in on the case. In fact, as David H. Gans at Slate pointed out in March, about the only sizeable business-friendly groups that did file briefs with the court were the US Women’s Chamber of Commerce and the Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce. Both sided against Hobby Lobby.”

You can expect an avalanche of suits and would not be surprised if several haven’t already been filed. #SCOTUS truly screwed corporate law.

• 48 0388jojothecat
      July 7, 2014 at 8:39 pm

Can SCOTUS have it booth ways? Can they claim a closely held corporation is still different from it’s owners except when it comes to discriminating against women for religious purposes? The “Corporate Five” are making a mockery of our constitution and the court.

• July 7, 2014 at 8:54 pm

Nope, jojo, they can’t and the ‘corporate 5′ have truly screwed US Corporate law.

And, let me assure you as someone building a corporation, the implications of their misogynistic, hateful decision are way beyond non-trivial.

What they’ve certainly done is ensure that lots of lawyers are going to get even wealthier, while every size corporation in America has to contend with the Director, Management and Shareholder liability exposure created by their idiotic decision.

• 50 0388jojothecat
          July 7, 2014 at 9:16 pm

Thanks Bob…..

OT did you see my post about Dr. Stephen Cohen? This guy was criticizing PBO for supporting Ukraine and how it would be a disaster for America.

• 51 otter44
          July 7, 2014 at 9:56 pm

The real importance of this is if a claimant is able to pierce the corporate veil, the officers, directors can be held personally liable.In the past if you could show that the corporation was an alter ego of the owners you could pierce the veil. The Supremes have set the stage for more personal liability of the 1%.

15. July 7, 2014 at 7:46 pm
    July 7, 2014 at 7:58 pm
    July 7, 2014 at 8:00 pm
  18. July 7, 2014 at 8:05 pm

And Cape wind just got 150 million from DOE.

19. July 7, 2014 at 8:07 pm

Hey Chips, the U.S. overlords are just beginning…..

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

…new home kits for ManU!

all other BT’s can have S.Korean masters :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

20. July 7, 2014 at 8:09 pm
    July 7, 2014 at 8:15 pm

The golden, JO’B…and we aren’t talking age! :cool:

22. 65 JER
    July 7, 2014 at 8:18 pm
  23. July 7, 2014 at 8:18 pm

Andre 3000 has had a busy summer:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

New trailer of the biopic directed by John Ridley, the Oscar-winning screenwriter of 12 Years a Slave.

24. July 7, 2014 at 8:18 pm
  25. July 7, 2014 at 8:19 pm

Hey Bob, what is that? :)

26. July 7, 2014 at 8:28 pm
  27. 71 lockewasright
    July 7, 2014 at 8:33 pm

I’ve been given the silent treatment by my wife for about 20 minutes now. I told her that I wanted to get my bald older brother a comb for his upcoming birthday. When she asked why I on earth I would do that, I told her that I wanted to get him something that he would never part with.

July 7, 2014 at 8:42 pm
    July 7, 2014 at 8:43 pm
  30. 78 isonprize
    July 7, 2014 at 8:45 pm

Anybody near Austin?

To see POTUS speak in #Austin TX on Thurs: Free tix distributed TUES starting 8:30 AM/Paramount Theatre/713 Congress Ave, says WH

31. July 7, 2014 at 8:46 pm

Rev. Barber’s on Chris Hayes. He’s not playing. Bless him.

32. 81 99ts
    July 7, 2014 at 8:50 pm

Chris Hayes has NOT learned to let his guests speak – he just has to interrupt and put his own point of view – he might as well give a 1 hour soliloquy

• 82 0388jojothecat
      July 7, 2014 at 9:09 pm

That’s why I don’t watch his show. If he has a good guest on he won’t let them talk or he talks over them. He’s learned from Tweety on how to do his show.

• 83 99ts
        July 7, 2014 at 9:24 pm

And Rachel shows him how it should be done – whether one agrees with her or not – she asks the question and listens to the answer. She uses her time before introducing the guest to describe the situation and give her own opinion.

33. July 7, 2014 at 8:51 pm
  34. 85 99ts
    July 7, 2014 at 8:54 pm

I’m reading so much about GOP men telling women not to have sex – I’m wondering where the GOP men think they are going to find a willing partner. Strange times.

35. July 7, 2014 at 9:01 pm

More sanctions, soon ….

36. 96 99ts
    July 7, 2014 at 9:03 pm

Someone should tell Rachel about the show “My Fair Lady”. She said she could not pronounce Hereford – a county in the UK, a breed of cattle and mentioned in one of the songs

“In Hartford, Hereford and Hampshire hurricanes hardly happen” :)

37. 98 donna dem 4 obama
    July 7, 2014 at 9:12 pm
  38. 100 donna dem 4 obama
    July 7, 2014 at 9:15 pm
  39. 101 99ts
    July 7, 2014 at 9:33 pm

Christie – 10 rounds will kill 10 – so lets give them 30 rounds to kill 30

• 102 Cindy
      July 7, 2014 at 9:46 pm

Hi 99ts,
      Christie is disgusting. Did you see this scumbag? He is a 3rd class piece of s_ _ _. How dare this arrogant ___ tell the Sandy Hook parents this. Why not 1round or no guns? Why 10 rounds? This is a coward and he wants to be President. The New Jersey paper has apologized to the parents and told them that most of New Jersey is on their side. This is politics at its worse.

Maybe, when that next bullet hits close to home for some of these repukes; when it is their child, just maybe, change will happen.

• 103 99ts
        July 7, 2014 at 10:29 pm

Hi Cindy – I answered you – very late – on an earlier thread – hope you saw it

As for Christie – his karma is coming

40. July 7, 2014 at 10:03 pm
  41. July 7, 2014 at 10:04 pm
  42. July 7, 2014 at 10:07 pm
    • July 7, 2014 at 10:09 pm

Bibi’s insane lust for an apartheid Israel continues unabated ….

• July 7, 2014 at 10:10 pm
        • July 7, 2014 at 10:14 pm

“As Air Force One prepared to touch down in the Holy Land last year, I looked out my window and was once again struck by the fact that Israel’s security can be measured in a matter of minutes and miles. I’ve seen what security means to those who live near the Blue Line, to children in Sderot who just want to grow up without fear, to families who’ve lost their homes and everything they have to Hezbollah’s and Hamas’s rockets.

And as a father myself, I cannot imagine the pain endured by the parents of Naftali Fraenkel, Gilad Shaar and Eyal Yifrach, who were tragically kidnapped and murdered in June. I am also heartbroken by the senseless abduction and murder of Mohammed Hussein Abu Khdeir, whose life was stolen from him and his family. At this dangerous moment, all parties must protect the innocent and act with reasonableness and restraint, not vengeance and retribution.

From Harry Truman through today, the United States has always been Israel’s greatest friend. As I’ve said time and again, neither I nor the United States will ever waver in our commitment to the security of Israel and the Israeli people, and our support for peace will always remain a bedrock foundation of that commitment.”

clip

For all that Israel has accomplished, for all that Israel will achieve, Israel cannot be complete and it cannot be secure without peace. It is never too late to seed the ground for peace—a true and living peace that exists not just in the plans of leaders, but in the hearts of all Israelis and Palestinians. That is the future the United States remains committed to, as Israel’s first friend, Israel’s oldest friend, and Israel’s strongest friend.”

– Barack Obama is president of the United States of America.

43. July 7, 2014 at 10:08 pm
  44. July 7, 2014 at 10:11 pm
      July 8, 2014 at 6:07 am

I saw this man on Lawrence O’Donnell show, I believe and all I can say is it is good to see some folks acting like they have some dam sense when it comes to those immigrants.

45. July 7, 2014 at 10:24 pm