Jul

President Barack Obama: Doing So Much Good For The Country

Obama New Yorker

Keith Boykin: Why Obama May Be The Best President Since WWII

I woke up this morning to a disturbingly silly headline. President Obama is the worst president since World War II, according to a plurality of voters in a Quinnipiac University poll released Wednesday. When you look beneath the numbers, it’s not what it looks like. Only about 33 percent of those polled called Obama the worst president, but that number roughly mirrors the percentage of Americans who identify themselves as Republicans, a group which has tried to sabotage, block, sue and impeach the president in recent years. So for the moment, forget what the polls say. The facts tell the real story of the Obama presidency, and the facts are damn good, especially compared to his predecessor. Under President Obama, the unemployment rate has fallen from 10 percent in 2009 to 6.3 percent today. Under George W. Bush, on the other hand, the unemployment rate rose from 4.2 percent to 7.8 percent. Under President Obama, the U.S. economy is gaining 200,000 jobs a month.

When Bush left office, however, we were losing 700,000 jobs a month. Under President Obama, at least 24 million people have gotten health insurance. The rate of uninsured has declined from 18 percent to 13.4 percent and the rate for Blacks has dropped dramatically from 20.9 percent to 14.7 percent. And despite all the exaggerated GOP claims that Obamacare would be a “job killer,” we’ve actually added more than 9 million new private sector jobs since the president signed the law. Under President Obama, businesses are also booming again. In the first few weeks of his presidency, the Dow Jones Industrial Average was sitting at 6547. Today it’s close to 17,000, a 10,000 point increase in five years!

Brk46CiCIAEhF34.jpg-large

And corporate profits hit an all-time record high just last year. President Obama ended the war in Iraq, drew down troops in Afghanistan, captured Osama Bin Laden, averted a second depression, helped to rescue the financial sector, stabilized home prices and saved more than a million jobs in the auto industry. At the same time, he enacted the most sweeping health care reform legislation in 50 years, something Richard Nixon, Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton couldn’t do, and which Ronald Reagan and the two Bushes never wanted to do. as a student of history, as an unapologetic liberal, as an African-American, as a gay man, as a supporter of equal rights for women and as someone who knows what it’s like to lose a job and live without health insurance, I’d say President Obama has done more good for this country than any president before him.

More here

Obama-50-first-term-accomplishments

133 Responses to “President Barack Obama: Doing So Much Good For The Country”

July 8, 2014 at 5:28 pm

Hi

July 8, 2014 at 5:29 pm

3. 18 Nena20409
    July 8, 2014 at 5:30 pm

Here’s my message……President Obama is indeed the Very Best POTUS since WWII.

None can touch his accomplishments when measured Ounce for Ounce, Pound for Pound.

4. 19 GGail
    July 8, 2014 at 5:31 pm

OH HUM
    GOOOOAAAALLLLL

5. 20 Nena20409
    July 8, 2014 at 5:31 pm

Au for VC ;)

Scrumptious Post Ms Wonka ;)

Obrigada.

6. July 8, 2014 at 5:32 pm

7. 25 Nena20409
    July 8, 2014 at 5:34 pm

The Brazilians are frustrated like the GOPers in US and they are about to loose it.

8. July 8, 2014 at 5:35 pm

Holy mackerel: seven.

July 8, 2014 at 5:35 pm

Aaaand 7-0

10. 33 Nena20409
    July 8, 2014 at 5:35 pm

7-0

In a world stage?

This is now officially, a World Cup Massacre

11. 35 Nena20409
    July 8, 2014 at 5:38 pm

And they spent $20B for this demolition?

The 201M people will not be happy. They will take it against the current president’s party.

Stone cold torture.

12. July 8, 2014 at 5:38 pm

July 8, 2014 at 5:41 pm

courtesy beebs.

14. July 8, 2014 at 5:41 pm

July 8, 2014 at 5:43 pm

TomGloverComedy: Turns out training and ability are more important than shouting a national anthem whilst crying.

egg.sack.lee

16. 41 JER
    July 8, 2014 at 5:43 pm

PHOTOS: Whistling. President Barack Obama departs the White House July 8, 2014 in Washington, DC. – http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Barack+Obama+President+Obama+Departs+White+-6Lbd4lbCE_x.jpg and

17. 43 Nena20409
    July 8, 2014 at 5:43 pm

And Jesus wept with Brazil’s Christ the Redeemer.

Not the 7 Deadly Sins?

July 8, 2014 at 5:43 pm

Glen Greenwald will surely blame PBO/NSA for Brazil’s loss at the Cup.

19. July 8, 2014 at 5:44 pm

It’s a plane, it’s a bird, it’s…

July 8, 2014 at 5:45 pm

21. July 8, 2014 at 5:45 pm

Heidi; will you marry me?

July 8, 2014 at 6:02 pm

I see you have given up on Perry, Jovie. Or are you simply using Chips’ proposal template – ask all potential contenders ……in case?

22. July 8, 2014 at 5:46 pm

July 8, 2014 at 5:46 pm

consolation goal for brazilians.

24. July 8, 2014 at 5:47 pm

Alice in Wonderland?

25. 59 Nena20409
    July 8, 2014 at 5:47 pm

Finally. it will not be 7-0

Instead

7-1

RESPECT?

July 8, 2014 at 5:49 pm

Chips! Offspring says to tell you you were right – 8 goals were scored in the game. ;)

27. July 8, 2014 at 5:53 pm

I think Pres. Dilma just saw her re-election chances go poof. She was planning to run on the success of the World Cup. Now all that voters will see is $20 billion spent so that their country could be humiliated.

28. 64 Nena20409
    July 8, 2014 at 5:55 pm

Congrats to 80M cheering for their team.

29. July 8, 2014 at 5:57 pm

30. July 8, 2014 at 5:58 pm

31. July 8, 2014 at 5:58 pm

In case anyone wants to let little Annie know ….

July 8, 2014 at 5:59 pm

gunnite folks.

33. 78 99ts
    July 8, 2014 at 6:02 pm

gm TOD – Seems I slept through a rugby score soccer game – and woke up to freezing!! I do not like the winter – we truly have climate getting more extreme every year.

July 8, 2014 at 6:10 pm

GM, 99ts (first time I’ve been able to say that to you at the correct time for you)! :grin: Have yourself a lovely Wednesday!

• 80 99ts
        July 8, 2014 at 6:12 pm

thank you vc – busy day today – I should be doing things but need a TOD hit to get going :)

July 8, 2014 at 6:14 pm

As long as you don’t let the ‘hit’ knock you out completely from ‘doing things’ – which usually happens to me when I sign in when I shouldn’t. ;) ;)

• 82 99ts
            July 8, 2014 at 6:22 pm

Got a 10.30 appt at the doc – can’t miss that one – so I’ll be gone :)

July 8, 2014 at 6:25 pm

That’s funny – I was going to add, except on the occasions I have medical appointments, then changed my mind. :grin: Go! BTW do your doctors have their appointments on time? They drive me ‘crazy’ here – my 9:30am appointment today didn’t occur until 10:50am. I always take a book with me, but still……………

• 84 99ts
                July 8, 2014 at 6:48 pm

GPs are not too bad (which mine is today) – but the docs of Mr 99 – hours and hours – I take my kindle

July 8, 2014 at 7:03 pm

O, it’s our GPs who are the worst – I’ve often felt like asking them if they realize my time is just as valuable as theirs! Of course, I haven’t dared (except for asking the receptionist every now and then if the doctor actually is in.) ;)

• 86 99ts
                    July 8, 2014 at 7:11 pm

We spent 3 hours at the radiologists last week waiting for a test for Mr 99 – I kept wanting to ask if there were any staff on duty! Mr 99 has much more patience than me.

Our specialists seem to get overcome by “emergency” which the GPs rarely get.

I do remember when Mr 99 had major eye problem – he saw specialist same day & was operated on in the evening. There were probably 20 people had to wait an extra hour because of his emergency – so I try not to get too mad.

• 87 Cindy
      July 8, 2014 at 6:29 pm

Good BEAUTIFUL WEDNESDAY MORNING to you 99ts!

Your cold is like our summer; getting extreme every year. I hope that you will have a “WONDERFUL DAY” in spite of the cold.

Your thoughts and caring spirit are truly appreciated.

Funny, it doesn’t cost anything to be nice to someone, and to show that you care but there is so little of it; leaving many to despair.

Warmest Blessings,

34. July 8, 2014 at 6:10 pm

35. July 8, 2014 at 6:13 pm

36. July 8, 2014 at 6:15 pm

37. 96 Cindy
    July 8, 2014 at 6:15 pm

Our local news is talking about how Perry refused to meet with the President, and shake President Obama’s hand, as though he “showed” the President who’s in charge. They even showed the repukes telling everyone that the President needs to lead and get to the boarders because this is his fault.

Now the local news people are saying; if President Obama doesn’t handle this crisis, it is his Katrina. Everyone is using the repukes talking points and saying the President is the blame.

I find it so offensive that every problem is equated to Katrina. I remember those horrible images like it was yesterday; babies crying, adults crying; human life stuck on the roof of their homes and businesses, garbage lining the streets, babies with no diapers, no proper sanitary conditions, people pleading for help and for food, dead bodies pushed to the side of the streets, and the elders and the sick did not have their medication. For 7 plus days these horrific images were in our homes.

How does every man created problem become a Katrina for the President?

George B. was celebrating McCain’s birthday with cake during this horrific time in history, and they want to say that the President is equivalent to this?

Shameful when local news become the voice with crazy talking points for the vociferous repukes.

THIS IS NOT A KATRINA!

July 8, 2014 at 7:34 pm

Cindy, how many American citizens in Louisiana died, you are so right this should not in anyway be compared to Katrina. But this is the media and the I Hate Obama folks chance to attack and bring him down. It’s the Republicans bull shit, just like they are everywhere saying how Benghazi is worse then Watergate.

• July 8, 2014 at 7:45 pm

What problem are they talking about?

• 99 Sandy1110
      July 8, 2014 at 7:55 pm

The GOP and MSM *need* it to be. Their problem is that the Dems have never f*ed up as badly as the GOP (Nixon had to resign, Bush let 9/11 happen on his watch), so they have to try to transfer the stigma of their severe failures to the Dems.

• 100 Lovepolitics2008
        July 8, 2014 at 10:14 pm

EXACTLY. And I think they were so HUMILIATED by the Bush presidency that they’ve tried, consciously or unconsciously, to get their revenge on President Obama.

By the way, isn’t that interesting that the successor of one of the worst presidents ever is one of the BEST America has ever seen ?

• July 8, 2014 at 10:16 pm

And the scandal of the Contras with Reagan.

The conservative mind , the authoritarian personality is more vulnerable to corruption. Plain and simple.

38. 102 Nena20409
    July 8, 2014 at 6:18 pm

You know that You have No Prayer to win statewide in a state pres Obama won handily 2X in 2008 and 2012…….when the bat poop is speaking impeachment and using words like Dictator?

Please proceed, Ernst.

July 8, 2014 at 6:20 pm

Even Downy is getting into the game…I’m all for hugs :)

July 8, 2014 at 6:29 pm

//SMDH

July 8, 2014 at 6:40 pm

Amk, will you be back in India in time to meet Dep. Sec. Burns? ;)

July 8, 2014 at 6:44 pm

Are you a parent of a college student? This might interest you/your student…..

43. July 8, 2014 at 7:00 pm

This is the head of the Council of Foreign Relations……..and former Bush flack…….assuming Brazilian Presidential repercussions:

• July 8, 2014 at 7:02 pm

Actually, I think there will be major political fallout. Dilma was planning to run on the success of the Cup. Now her voters will see billions spent so that the nation could be humiliated on a global scale.

• July 8, 2014 at 7:11 pm

I agree about that…..I just find it kinda lame that the head of CFR doesn’t know difference President/PM of a major country……..gets called on it and says my bad 30 minutes after posting his original tweet.

• July 9, 2014 at 1:44 am

Haass’s tweet is embarrassing! Richard Haass, who is routinely touted by the MSM as a foreign policy expert, doesn’t even know that Brazil has no “Prime Minister.”

44. July 8, 2014 at 7:04 pm

This pretty much sums up my views of Hillary Clinton.( I read a comment on another Democratic blog by a person who actually said, “I can’t wait to have Hillary and Bill as president again.” This is something that really worries me about her candidacy). The whole article is worth reading.

“Hillary seems to be ready to start off as running for the General Election instead of running to win the Dem primary and that is the same slippery slope she slid down in 2008. It wouldn’t be strange if an actually Progressive candidate started gaining ground on her in the primaries. I could imagine her suddenly adopting that candidate’s Progressive values while attacking that candidate as ruthlessly as she attacked Obama (we all remember how vicious she and Bill were towards Obama when he started looking stronger…both throwing around the race card with Reverend Wright and other racial statements, it was Hillary supporters who started the Birther accusations against Obama, Hillary attacked Obama as unAmerican for his “ties” to Bill Ayers and of course Hillary just outright lied about her and Chelsea being shot at on a runway by a Bosnian sniper to seem more heroic than Obama).”

July 8, 2014 at 7:23 pm

I think Hillary better get her supporters under control, because I’m not liking what I’m hearing.

• 119 carolyn
        July 8, 2014 at 7:50 pm

Having observed Hillary since 1992…….I have several observations about her. Your statement anniebella is perceptive about her supporters. She will not get her supporters under control. She is not able to.

She is NOT a good manager; she does not appoint good managers, or seek advice from good managers; she has yet to realize that running for president is a co-operative effort, and people who work for you have to be loyal and SMART, and WISE. Her advisers are weak. I think they only tell her what they believe she wants to hear, and they will lead her down the wrong path, just as in 2008.

She is easily led by polls and loud-mouthed and rich “friends.” I have never seen them serve her well. I do not think she knows what she really believes, nor does she have the courage to stick by any strong beliefs. She wants to be president so she can say she was the first woman president. She does not have any vision or ideas about what she wants to accomplish. She just wants to BE queen.

• July 8, 2014 at 8:22 pm

that’s how I see it too.

• July 8, 2014 at 11:15 pm

I somehow think she enjoys it.

July 8, 2014 at 7:10 pm

July 8, 2014 at 7:12 pm

Question: Why do people automatically go on Oprah when they have a confession/revelation to make? Is she America’s public confidante and therapist?

July 8, 2014 at 7:21 pm

47. 125 Nena20409
    July 8, 2014 at 7:33 pm

July 8, 2014 at 7:36 pm

49. 127 Nena20409
    July 8, 2014 at 7:37 pm

If I recall correctly, she was either married or had a long term boyfriend. 6 children all were killed and Not one person said a word?

• July 8, 2014 at 8:04 pm

Is the woman where authorities found 7 dead baby bodies in a garage earlier this year?

Was she heavyset, which may have masked her condition?

If all her friends were addicts too, not surprising that they wouldn’t want to get involved.

50. 129 JER
    July 8, 2014 at 7:43 pm

| Live Now | President Obama arrives in Colorado: http://www.cbsnews.com/liveFeed/widget.shtml

51. 130 anniebella
    July 8, 2014 at 7:44 pm

Raise your hand if you saw Chris Matthews, Chucky Todd, and that reporter guy from Texas talking about how Obama is handling the immigrants situation. Obama need to go to the border to show that he is handling things, Obama need to do this, he need to do that, I got fed up with them and turn the tv off.

July 8, 2014 at 7:53 pm

I don’t rule out some rich Republicans being behind these kids being brought to the border, and coming in this country. A plot to go after POTUS, try to get the Hispanic community mad with POTUS.

52. 132 Nena20409
    July 8, 2014 at 7:50 pm

7-8-14 Josh “The Voice” Earnest at the WH presser schooling the rudely unruly WHPC