Jul

Rise and Shine

On This Day: Cedar Rapids, July 10, 2012 (Photo by Christopher Dilts for Obama for America)

Today

MDT

10:20: The President delivers remarks, Cheesman Park, Denver, Colorado

White House Live

12:20: Delivers remarks and answers questions at a DSCC event, Westin Denver Downtown

1:30: Departs Denver en route Dallas

CDT

4:15: Arrives Dallas

4:55: Meets with local elected officials and faith leaders, DalFort Fueling, Dallas

7:15: Delivers remarks and answers questions at a DCCC event, Private Residence, Dallas

8:40: Departs Dallas en route Austin

9:30: Arrives Austin

10:45: Delivers remarks and answers questions at a DNC event, Private Resident, Austin

Thursday: In Austin, the President will attend a DNC event, and will deliver remarks on the economy, before returning to the White House.

Friday: The President will attend meetings at the White House.

President Obama visits with people along 15th Street in downtown Denver after arriving in Colorado, July 08

President Obama fist bumps with a statue of a gorilla at Wynkoop Brewery in downtown Denver

USA Today: Obama’s day: Denver, Dallas, Austin

President Obama has a busy travel schedule in the west on Wednesday, starting in Colorado, winding up in Texas, and talking about the economy, the congressional elections, and problems at the nation’s southern border.

The schedule includes three Democratic fundraisers in three cities: Denver, Dallas, and Austin.

Obama, who spent the night in Denver, begins the day with a speech on the economy at a park in the Mile High City.

Around lunchtime, the president headlines a fundraiser benefiting the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee.

More here

Instagram video here

On This Day

Former democratic presidential nominee rivals Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton and Senator Barack Obama make their first joint appearance in New York City at a morning women’s breakfast rally at the Hilton hotel on July 10, 2008

President Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama meet with Pope Benedict XVI at the Vatican on July 10, 2009 (Photo by Pete Souza)

Cedar Rapids, July 10, 2012 (Photo by Christopher Dilts for Obama for America)

Cedar Rapids, July 10, 2012 (Photo by Christopher Dilts for Obama for America)

Cedar Rapids, July 10, 2012 (Photo by Christopher Dilts for Obama for America)

First Lady Michelle Obama speaks at Barbara Goleman Senior High School during a campaign event on July 10, 2012 in Miami Lakes, Florida.

President Obama chats with actress, playwright, and professor Anna Deavere Smith before awarding her the 2012 National Humanities Medal on July 10, 2013

President Obama greets author Ernest Gaines before awarding him the 2012 National Medal of Arts on July 10, 2013

First Lady Michelle Obama poses for a portrait at the White House on July 10, 2013

MoooOOOooornin again everyone. I’m still in news-less R&S mode, hopefully things will get quieter soon and I’ll be able to resume normal-ish service. For now, if you could carry on posting links to any good stuff in the comments, that would be terrrrrrrriffic.

128 Responses to “Rise and Shine”

1. 1 Dudette
    July 9, 2014 at 9:41 am
  2. 11 Dudette
    July 9, 2014 at 9:42 am

Another gorgeous morning feast from our Nerdy Wonka! Thank you so much for all you do!
    {{{{{ Nerdy Wonka }}}}}

• 12 taiping1
      July 9, 2014 at 9:57 am

Oops! It’s Chipsticks this AM. Putting out R&S despite press of work. Many thanks, Chips. And to NW for all her posts too.
      I think it’s soul-restoring to leave the toxic swamp of Beltway pundits and GOP hysteria. All the women I’ve been talking to are horrified by HL, looking for ways to contribute. Hope DNC steps up since OFA can’t do campaigning for candidates.

• July 9, 2014 at 9:59 am

A pleeeeeeasure taiping!!!!

• 14 Cindy
          July 9, 2014 at 10:44 am

Morning Chipsticks and Dannystix,

What a “BEAUTIFUL” compilation of pictures – THANK YOU!

Hope you and Dannystix have a WONDERFUL DAY – ENJOY!

• 15 Dudette
          July 9, 2014 at 1:10 pm

Sorry about that. I meant Nerdy’s proxy in disguise as our Queen Bee. :-D

Time for a new pair of glasses. I blame it all on poor eyesight and rushing off to work!

3. July 9, 2014 at 9:49 am

You’ll enjoy these, Mister Amk:

4. 17 Nerdy Wonka
    July 9, 2014 at 9:56 am

President Obama truly is a ‘Man of the People.’

Thanks for all the pictures, Chips. The first picture is breathtaking with its revealing power of technology.

5. July 9, 2014 at 10:09 am

Ahem :)

6. 22 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    July 9, 2014 at 10:10 am

LOVING ALL PEOPLE IS A GIFT FROM GOD AND SOMETIMES IT IS SO PAINFUL…ESPECIALLY FOR THIS PRESIDENT WHO HAS BEEN THROUGH ONE CRISIS AFTER THE OTHER. THESE DAYS TOO I THINK I SPEND MORE TIME CRYING FOR HURTING PEOPLE…AND FEELING SORRY FOR THOSE WHO THINK GUNS ARE THEIR ONLY ANSWER…THOSE WHO ARE SO INSECURE ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT THEY CLING TO HATE…THOSE WHO WOULD STAND ON THE BORDER AND SCREAM HATE AT CHILDREN WHO DIDN’T ASK TO BE THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE…INDEED MY HOPE IS IN CHRIST BECAUSE THIS BROKEN WORLD WILL BE FIXED NO OTHER WAY. MAY GOD DEEPLY BLESS THE PRESIDENT AS HE FACES SO MANY HEARTWRENCHING ISSUES….AND YES…LOVING PEOPLE AS I DO…I STILL BELIEVE PBO NEEDS TO VISIT THE BORDER.

7. 23 Vicki
    July 9, 2014 at 10:20 am

Are we going to be able to see PBO’s speech at 10:20????
    I cannot find it anyplace.
    Oh, sorry. Where are my manners—Good morning TOD.

8. July 9, 2014 at 10:22 am
  9. 27 donna dem 4 obama
    July 9, 2014 at 10:25 am

Good Morning TOD

• 28 SUE DUVALL SMITH
      July 9, 2014 at 4:32 pm

A CONSERVATIVE ANYWHERE IS A THREAT TO HUMANITY DONNA…AN EMBARRASSMENT TO ALL THAT THIS COUNTRY SHOULD STAND FOR……………..AND CONGRESS IS POISON!

10. 29 Nena20409
    July 9, 2014 at 10:36 am

So much took place last night.

Thanks to TOD, I was able to feeling like I now have a glue as to what happened in CO. Thanks TOD ;)

Wonderful pictures Chips. Thank you.

11. 30 Nena20409
    July 9, 2014 at 10:38 am
  12. 31 Paulita
    July 9, 2014 at 10:39 am

De-lurking to say good morning and thanks to Ms. Chipsy Tweedy for the great pictures. :D Even in the fist bump with gorilla statue, the gorilla looks pleased and maybe even honored. Love you guys! <3

13. July 9, 2014 at 10:40 am

Love the way that PBO grasps the little footsies of the baby girl.

And the fist bump with the gorilla is tooooo funny.

VC… it’s still early in the month, but my vote for “best July pic” goes to the gorilla fist bump.

I predict that it will be featured in prominent at both (Chicago and Hawaii) Presidential libraries.

14. 34 Nena20409
    July 9, 2014 at 10:42 am

Today’s GOP in 4 tweets.

15. 38 Nena20409
    July 9, 2014 at 11:01 am

Simply silly season…. :lol: :roll: :lol:

Just for EH being pissed…..I am for R’OD coming back to the View. Not Palin. But they are rumored to have Abby Huntsman or Ms M Hoover from CNN as the rightie representative. The View is toast anyway.

July 9, 2014 at 11:04 am

vanper is possibly out for semis. Go args. dutch cheated in q’s and don’t deserve to win.

• 41 GGail
      July 9, 2014 at 11:33 am

Uh oh – I think we might be on opposite sides of the field today “cousin amk”

• 42 amk for obama
        July 9, 2014 at 11:35 am

Dutch cheat. I present arjen robben and his despicable coach. Case closed.

• 43 GGail
          July 9, 2014 at 11:47 am

amk, I’m so conflicted!

You know how I feel about Messi (YAY!)

But the Netherlands lost to Arg many years ago and I kinda am, sorta am, at this moment, am rooting for the underdog.

That’s not to say that once the ball drops that I won’t change my mind. I reserve that right :D

17. 45 Nena20409
    July 9, 2014 at 11:06 am

Now Beck Claims that he is getting threats? Hmm? Could not have happened to a sleazier man. He was one of those disparaging undocumented immigrants over the years.

• 46 Cindy
      July 9, 2014 at 11:23 am

Is he having a come to Jesus moment?

If his motives are truly pure, and his heart is clean, God bless him. He only has to answer to his maker and not to man.
      I am sure the children and the families will be happy to receive the gifts and food.

I am no fan of Glenn Beck and will never be, but I will not judge anyone who is doing, what “appears” to be right. President Obama reminds us; we are our brothers and sisters keepers.

July 9, 2014 at 11:08 am
  19. 54 Cindy
    July 9, 2014 at 11:09 am

HAPPY WEDNESDAY TOD FAMILY!
    Wishing “everyone” a very BEAUTIFUL and AWESOME HUMP DAY!

I’ve been hearing that the Dems are pressuring President Obama to go to the border because he is fund raising in Texas, and it doesn’t look good because there is a crisis going on.

Does anyone know who the Dems are?

I only saw the Democrat from Texas, and he has been crisscrossing the networks, unless I missed the others, stating why the President has to go to the border. I was a bit disappointed to see Lawrence O. requesting that President Obama go to the border in his show last night. Apparently, the Hispanic Caucus and “Dems” are saying he needs to go.

My heart goes out to the parents and babies who are taking this dangerous route; seeing that 2 year old cry (Lawrence show) last night while sitting in his mother’s lap, was gut wrenching because when she cried, he looked at her and he cried (2 yr. old). It tore me up to see this. What I truly and honestly don’t understand; what is accomplished by the President going to the border?

I am being cynical but what I see, is that, they get the President to the border and snap pictures. Someone photoshops the pictures; inserting pictures of the people coming across the border. Then they put the two pictures together; George B. in the airplane looking down after Katrina and President Obama looking at the border while the mothers and kids are running to cross.

Tomorrow’s headlines will read; They both looked on and did nothing, this is the President’s Katrina.

I see it being totally political because I don’t understand what he can do by going there. It’s offensive to keep hearing that this is his Katrina. I remember Katrina and this isn’t it. Some are saying that he sat back and did nothing during the BP crisis until it was out of control. My local networks sound like the cable news regarding this border problem. How can the President be blamed for something he did not create?

Unless I am missing something, I just don’t understand what will be accomplished by President Obama going to the border, and I personally hope that he doesn’t go. IMHO, it feels and look political at every angle.

• 55 amk for obama
      July 9, 2014 at 11:13 am

Meh. Another gop + emmessem ginned up nontroversy. PBO will do what is right by these kids.

• July 9, 2014 at 11:43 am

Of course demanding that the President [do whatever, in this case] go to the Mexican border is, of course, GOP in lock-step.

However, it is true that you learn by visiting, and what PBO would learn at a visit to Brooks County, TX (70 miles from the border, and where many Central American refugees travel to avoid Border Patrol stations elsewhere in the vicinity) is the overcrowded conditions and suffering endured by those in the detention facility.

But of course, PBO and his advisors are well aware of this.

Most concerning to me is that the hottest months of the year are ahead of us, and the south Texas wilderness is inhospitable to humans without shelter.

Here’s an article from the end of last year that adds context to recent immigration patterns:

July 9, 2014 at 11:13 am

photo/1

21. July 9, 2014 at 11:17 am
    July 9, 2014 at 11:22 am
    July 9, 2014 at 11:23 am

LOL.

24. 69 Gazelle
    July 9, 2014 at 11:23 am

[Ahem!]

Former New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin was sentenced to 10 years in federal prison Wednesday.

Nagin, 58, the two-term mayor who was the face of the city during Hurricane Katrina, joins a list of Louisiana elected officials convicted of misdeeds committed while in office. But he is New Orleans’ first mayor to be convicted and sent to prison for public corruption. [.....]

More here: http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2014/07/ray_nagin_sentenced_prison.html#incart_big-photo

25. 70 JER
    July 9, 2014 at 11:23 am
    July 9, 2014 at 11:24 am
  27. 73 JER
    July 9, 2014 at 11:26 am
  28. 74 GGail
    July 9, 2014 at 11:27 am

Good West Coast morning Chipsticks & TOD family.

What a lovely photo of First Lady Michelle Obama!

I can’t wait for today’s soccer match – whoo hoooo!!!

29. 84 Nena20409
    July 9, 2014 at 11:30 am
  30. 90 carolyn
    July 9, 2014 at 11:32 am

I’m going to repeat something I said on the previous post, just a little differently for those of us who get upset with the way the MSM and Rethugs talk about and act toward PBO. Their feelings are total jealousy and envy. This is a man whose personal charisma is off the charts. Just watch people’s reaction to him. No president has generated this excitement and reaction since JFK……and with that comes the equal and opposite reaction of envy and jealousy, manifested in hatefulness.

NO Republican candidate or president had the kind of charisma and magnetism this man has, and horror of horrors…….he is dark!!!!! They cannot crank up the kind of excitement for any of their stooges that he generates just by being present. This absolutely horrifies them.

I am loving his obvious newly felt freedom to let the bear loose in more ways than one. He is not beholden to anyone…..he’s done it himself with his volunteers, certainly without the help of highly placed Democrats, so watch him go. Boehner doesn’t threaten him…..he is on the right side. Boehner is rarely really sober and is acting out of horrific jealousy too. Nothing he has done has prospered, and it won’t.

So, remember this, the louder they yell, the more he is accomplishing and thereby getting under their skin. A man is always known by his enemies.

• 91 amk for obama
      July 9, 2014 at 11:43 am

So, remember this, the louder they yell, the more he is accomplishing.

people here need to remember that 24×7.

31. 92 japa21
    July 9, 2014 at 11:32 am
  32. July 9, 2014 at 11:35 am

Ooooh, this is so sweet I’m gonna cry – from one of the German team:

photo/1

Amk? Hush.

33. 105 Nena20409
    July 9, 2014 at 11:38 am

my heart still aches for Brasil

photo/1

July 9, 2014 at 11:42 am

Morning everyone! I found this FB page that I think is worth keeping an eye on….

July 9, 2014 at 11:44 am

Are these posting as the photos they are? ( I can’t see them on my computer) Good stuff!

36. 108 jackiegrumbacher
    July 9, 2014 at 11:44 am

Morning. We were without power for 15 1/2 hours after a severe storm struck our area. No electricity equals no air conditioner, no cooking (on electric stove), no computer, no wifi, no phones, and food going to waste in food and freezer. To top it all off, I have to have a tooth extracted in a couple of hours. So much to catch up on, so little time.

37. 112 Nena20409
    July 9, 2014 at 11:45 am

A reversal in less than 24 hours?

Hmm? Please proceed, Ernst.

• 113 Cindy
      July 9, 2014 at 11:57 am

Really now. Please tell us what changed because we were told that there was plenty of evidence.

• 114 japa21
        July 9, 2014 at 12:13 pm

The polling in Iowa showed the folks strongly against impeachment would be my guess and she realized if she didn’t backtrack she had no chance in November. Hoping she has no chance anyway. I look at that picture and think Michele Bachmann.

July 9, 2014 at 11:57 am

Testing. Really testing.

Morning TODvillage! SomeTHING in my techie world is acting up so I haven’t a clue whether or not you’ll get this greeting. In case you do and I get bumped out before I can say anything else, I’ll wish you all a great Labour Day…… Patriot’s Day………. Thanksgiving …… etc. etc. just in case.

If I do not get frozen out THIS time, I’ll go see what you have all been up to since someone shut me down last night! ;)

Happy Wednesday/Thursday, everyone!

39. 121 JER
    July 9, 2014 at 11:59 am
    July 9, 2014 at 12:04 pm

Chips, is today July 9th or July 10th? I’ve been knocked around so much, I cannot tell. I’m going through the post and looking at your posted pics, that’s why I wondered.

41. 124 Nena20409
    July 9, 2014 at 12:04 pm

So the overbearing Piers Morgan thinks that Americans will not like Soccer until We Win the World Cup?

What a not so clever thing to say from a so called hackery journalist.

US is now 318.5M. 27M are engaged and were and are watching the 2014 WC. 5M plus are engaged in soccer 12 yrs and under, nationwide. US has now over 28M Citizens who are foreign born. They came mostly from nations where Futbol reign supreme. By the year 2030 US will be Browner and more diverse.

In Today’s Journalism 101……The Who, When, Where, What and Why are no longer applicable? Go directly to blazes Piers.

July 9, 2014 at 1:57 pm

Even I was a proud “soccer mom” when my kid was little, part of the 5M 12 years and under!

42. 127 Nena20409
    July 9, 2014 at 12:13 pm

In the Aug of 2005……the Media were collectively calling NOLA residents trapped due to Katrina Refugees. These were US Citizens trapped at the Dome and at a Center.

Now what is happening at the Border…..with influx of undocumented immigrants…..over 50K now…..who deserved to be called REFUGEES and somehow, the Media is not using those terms. Hmm?

They called the Haitians back in the 1980s as refugees. Most were housed at GITMO and later deported. Same was the case with the Cubans who came here in the 10K. There were Zero calls for Reagan or GH Bush to visit GITMO or FL. The Media once again, flaming and driving politics while educating No One.