Jul

Rise and Shine: The Week at TOD

@dougmillsnyt: A young girl greets President Obama as he arrives at the New Castle Air National Guard Base, Delaware

• • •

All the week’s White House videos here

• • •

Sunday

Early Bird Chat • • • Rise and Shine: The Week at TOD

Chat Away • • • A Tweet or Two • • • Chat On: World Cup

140 Characters Of Everything • • • Chat On

• • •

Monday

Early Bird Chat • • • Rise and Shine • • • Chat Away

ObamaCare Is Reducing The Number Of Uninsured. Cue The GOP Tears • • • A Tweet or Two

President Obama Hosts an Iftar Dinner Celebrating Ramadan • • • Laugh Monday Away

• • •

Tuesday

Early Bird Chat • • • Rise and Shine

President Obama at Turner-Fairbank Highway Research Center

700K Jobs At Risk? Do Something, Congress • • • A Tweet or Two

President Obama Is Creating A Part-Time Economy? Yeah, Right

Laugh The Day Away • • • Let The Laughter Continue

• • •

Wednesday

Early Bird Chat • • • Rise and Shine • • • Chat Away

First Lady Michelle Obama Speaks at a Unite for Veterans event

Your VOTE Is Important. Exercise It • • • President Obama Delivers a Statement on Ukraine

A Tweet Or Two • • • 140 Characters Of Chuckles

• • •

Thursday

Early Bird Chat • • • Rise and Shine • • • Chat Away

President Obama delivers remarks on Infrastructure • • • Yes, America. This Is The Media

Gaza Tonight • • • The President’s Day

News Of The Day • • • Smile. It Helps.

• • •

Friday

Early Bird Chat • • • Rise and Shine

President Obama Delivers Statement on Situation in Ukraine

The Kids’ State Dinner • • • President Obama Speaks On Ukraine

First Lady Michelle Obama Celebrates Kid Chefs

A Tweet or Two • • • Laughter Is 140 Characters

• • •

And aaaaaaanother TODtastic week – thank you to the legend that is Nerdy for all her wonderful posts,

and to LL too – even if he yet again displayed unspeakable cruelty by posting his menus in the comments.

And to all the commenters who make TOD what it is – thank yooooooou!!

132 Responses to “Rise and Shine: The Week at TOD”

July 19, 2014 at 10:56 am

TA DA! GM!

• 2 africa
      July 19, 2014 at 10:57 am

Hey DF, congrats. You beat me by a minute. HOW are you?

July 19, 2014 at 11:07 am

I’m just fine, africa:) How’re you?? Waiting for my friends to stop by and help me fix the back gate in my yard…one more opening of that gate and it will be flat on the ground! I called a handyman ( or as I have taken to calling them now, “Hand in your pockets man!” and they wanted nearly $500 JUST FOR THE LABOR, to replace a board! I can buy a shiny NEW GATE for $1000,,,, are they high????!!!! So, I nixed that idea and called a friend that is a perfectionist and I know he’ll do a great job…I’ll pay him for the materials and his time, but he won’t rip me off :) It’s the problem when your address is in an affluent part of town…even though ALL OF US aren’t affluent, but any stretch of the imagination. A fact these friends pointed out yesterday when I told them what happened…..a downside to a certain mailing address, to be sure. Crazy people.

• 4 TrumpDog
          July 19, 2014 at 11:10 am

I called a handyman ( or as I have taken to calling them now, “Hand in your pockets man!” and they wanted nearly $500 JUST FOR THE LABOR, to replace a board! “”

OMG that’s crazy

July 19, 2014 at 11:21 am

Crazy!!! When she called and let me know how much it would be, she said it like it was no big deal….The air came out of my lungs! There is NO MONEY TREE IN MY BACKYARD!

• 6 TrumpDog
              July 19, 2014 at 11:51 am

Good for you in not accepting that. That’s simply ridiculous.
              Glad you were able to find someone else to do the job.

• 7 africa
          July 19, 2014 at 11:11 am

Oh, great. Glad your friend is coming to help you out. Sounds like a win-win.

I am doing fine now, but the last week has been hellish. I missed couple of days of work suffering from vertigo. That thing is a mother and I hate to take the medication for it, because personally I don’t think it helps AT ALL! Whew.

Good luck with getting the gate fixed.

July 19, 2014 at 11:19 am

OMG! A friend I work with suffers from vertigo, too!! We’re had the call the EMT’s for her because she has it so badly. She takes meclazine(sp) I don’t know if it helps or not, but that’s just an awful thing to have…so sorry that you and your mom have to deal with that all the time.Hugs to you and hope you’e feeling better today :)

• July 19, 2014 at 11:00 am

DeeeeeEEEeeEEEeeeEEEeeEEeeeeEEeeeeEEeeeeefffFFfffFFFFFfffffFFfff!!!! :-)

• 16 Cindy
      July 19, 2014 at 11:00 am

Happy Saturday morning desertflower!

CONGRATS on taking the “GOLD” – you’re # 1 !!!

ENJOY today and live!

July 19, 2014 at 11:33 am

{{{{Cindy}}}}} Glad that things are calming down for you. Was a difficult week last week…especially for you. You’ll do right by Anna, I have no doubt… hope that this week goes much better:)

• 18 Cindy
          July 19, 2014 at 12:20 pm

Thank you desertflower and yes, I will be in court as a witness!

Glad to see you have a friend to take care of the repair work within reason ($$$$). I laughed when I read your statement;
          “It’s the problem when your address is in an affluent part of town…even though ALL OF US aren’t affluent”

When I was in sales, we were always told to “cold call” the affluent areas. Well, after years and years of following this rule for looking for new accounts, many of us came to realize, that regular, hard working people were actually in better financial shape than some of those who resided in affluent areas, and could actually invest.

The “affluent” were living check to check; mortgaged homes, leased cars, private tuition bills past due and debt like anyone else. Some were actually “rich” but others just had the address going for them. The working class were taking vacation, bills paid in full, and the kids were doing great in public schools.

Yes, the affluent areas will draw the cons in, and unless you ask around you really don’t know.

Our association has done a lot of work for the residents; we have a list of workers (various professions), and their prices so that you can compare pricing, and if you know someone who is priced better, and they are reputable, they will be added to the list. It’s updated every 3 months, nice because they have done the work and relieved you of headaches of being taken to the cleaners.

Wishing you a FANTASTIC DAY – ENJOY!!!

• July 19, 2014 at 12:27 pm

Congrats on 1st df!!!!

Chips, these R&S weekly summaries are very much appreciated. Thank you.

July 19, 2014 at 10:59 am

furst.

July 19, 2014 at 10:59 am

Is today LL’s birthday??????? We should surprise him somehow…can Chips or Nerdy make him first in every post somehow? Even when he’s not really here? Like a good cut and paste job? That would be funny…. With something clever to say….

4. July 19, 2014 at 11:06 am

Morning TOD. Don’t know if anyone posted yet on the fact that PBO is meeting with leaders of the border countries concerning the flow of children, in danger of being annihilated not only by their own country folk, but certainly by the rabid right in this country. Now this is how you handle a crisis. As we all say, the only adult in the room !! Good day.

5. 39 GGAIL
    July 19, 2014 at 11:07 am

Good West Coast morning Chipsticks & TOD family.

It’s Saturday – YAY!

July 19, 2014 at 11:08 am

7. 41 africa
    July 19, 2014 at 11:14 am

July 19, 2014 at 12:00 pm

Blacks have long been the true “base” of the DEM party – even though they rarely get credit for it.

• July 19, 2014 at 12:12 pm

So true…..
        HF2, I left you a message on the last post.
        I just personally wanted to thank you for your wisdom.
        You often speak what I am feeling. I thought about renaming myself HF3.
        I just love common sense folks. Get right to the point minis the BS.
        Thank you.

8. 45 africa
    July 19, 2014 at 11:15 am

July 19, 2014 at 11:16 am

I need to get out of here. I really do.

Congressional hopeful throws fundraiser with alcohol, cigars and guns

• 47 africa
      July 19, 2014 at 11:26 am

Same here. I am praying and can’t wait for next year this time. My son graduates high school and it is bye, bye, Florida. Hopefully join my siblings in Maryland.

July 19, 2014 at 11:31 am

Good idea! I truly hope that plan happens for you. It may take a little longer for me, but I WILL be gone from this place. Maryland sounds WONDERFUL. You will finally feel like you’re home.

• 49 africa
          July 19, 2014 at 11:38 am

Yeah. I used to live there before we moved to Georgia and then Florida, chasing my hubby’s dreams. Then he got sick and despite being heavily recruited, they discarded of him in a nano second. We stayed because of our son. Finally, thank God he is graduating in May of next year. Then I pray that we are all OK to bolt.

• 50 0388jojothecat
            July 19, 2014 at 11:52 am

I pray you are able to leave FL asap. I am glad you are there to put C.Christ in office but it is still a gun culture. Would be cool if you both wind up in MD.

• 51 TrumpDog
      July 19, 2014 at 11:55 am

desert, I’m so with you.
      What do you think of Ducey and Jones’? They’re really slinging it out in their campaign ads.
      Oh and the one that had the militia members following him at an immigration protest (but claims to have not known who they were eye roll)

These people scare me.

July 19, 2014 at 12:11 pm

:) I laugh when I see their commercials on TV..ESPECIALLY Jones! Did you realize that OBAMA was running here? They know for a fact that their ignorant base is SO STUPID AND SCARED…omg. It’s just laughable to me….the scary part comes if we don’t show up en masse to keep these shysters/crooks/liars out of office. THAT’S SCARY!! We have good and capable candidates running….they need to get elected. Simple as that. Then maybe some form of sanity can prevail in Sandland.

July 19, 2014 at 11:26 am

A very “GooOooddd Sat-ur-DAY”, to everyone in the village! Hope things have been going as they should in your own little piece of the world!

11. 54 dotster3
    July 19, 2014 at 11:38 am

Looks like massive demonstration in London protesting Israeli military action

July 19, 2014 at 11:41 am

This week’s @Interior video features philantropist David Rubenstein, who has made another major donation to help reconstruct another piece of America’s history.

July 19, 2014 at 11:42 am

Yea. Yea, I spotted the spelling error as soon as I pushed ‘Post comment’, and no I don’t have any cigars to offer.

July 19, 2014 at 11:56 am

There’s a short video at the site – check it out.

‘Osama bin Laden’s assault rifle. A singed al-Qaeda training manual. A desiccated rat corpse designed to pass secret messages. A letter from an American operative on a sheet of Adolf Hitler’s personal stationery. A painting of the real story behind “Argo.” And a remote-controlled robotic dragonfly that may be the ancestor of today’s drones.

These are some of the things on display at the Central Intelligence Agency’s astonishing private museum in Langley, Va.

Yahoo News got an exclusive on-camera guided tour of what could be the coolest collection you’ll probably never get to see. It’s burrowed deep inside CIA headquarters just outside Washington, DC, secreted away behind the thick layers of security that stand between the George Bush Center for Intelligence and the public, protecting America’s top secrets from prying eyes.
    CLICK IMAGE for slideshow: Artifacts from the Central Intelligence Agency Museum. (Courtesy of the Central Intelligence Agency)

As part of being allowed a rare look inside, Yahoo News had to rely on a CIA crew to film the building’s exterior. Cell phones and wireless microphones – that is to say, anything with a broadcasting capability – were forbidden. And the agency took precautions to make sure that our visit did not inadvertently reveal the identity of any CIA staff, setting the shoot for a Saturday when there’d be less foot traffic in the cavernous hallways. Just to be doubly sure, vigilant CIA officials blocked off hallways near the Yahoo News crew with signs warning of an “uncleared” media presence, and obscured the names of some rooms and corridors—a reminder that the news media is, in effect, in the business of gathering intelligence
    ………………………….//

15. 65 africa
    July 19, 2014 at 11:59 am

July 19, 2014 at 12:01 pm

17. 67 africa
    July 19, 2014 at 12:02 pm

18. 68 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    July 19, 2014 at 12:03 pm

Good morning, TOD.

Chips, THANKS for the weekend round up! I’ve missed most of it, hope to make some of it my late night reading.

LL, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, book buddy! May you continue t be Blessed with love, peace, and joy!

Now, back to projects…

July 19, 2014 at 12:03 pm

It isn’t one of the largest federal agencies. Its Twitter following pales next to many other Cabinet departments.

But the Department of Interior’s Twitter (@Interior) account — replete with stunning visuals, straightforward hashtags, and snappy captions — is nevertheless steadily building a devoted following.

With 191,000 followers, DOI trails far behind Education, Justice, HHS and the Defense, State and Energy departments. Yet its steady diet of breathtaking photographs of oceanic overlooks and sylvan sunsets on public lands regularly generates hundreds of retweets — and, not infrequently, thousands of them.

The Interior Department’s account recently scored a coveted spot on — the only federal agency to make the list.

And, according to , a research analytics firm that tracks Twitter influence, Interior outpaces all but one other Cabinet agency — the newsier Department of Defense — in its ‘impact’ on followers.

Unlike other federal agencies whose Twitter voices have been or sparked , Interior has managed to keep the focus on the agency’s vast assets – which includes the national park system – and its mission.
    ………………………..//

• July 19, 2014 at 12:19 pm

Good morning VC,
      My favorite flowers. Yes, Wildflowers!
      I admire how they just make me smile whenever I see them.
      The boldness, strength, resilience in places that you are not expecting to see.
      They give me hope.
      Thank you for making me smile this morning.

July 19, 2014 at 12:21 pm

You are very welcome, LDS! The last time *I* saw you in the village you were a bit upset so it feels good to know you are smiling right now. :grin:

• July 19, 2014 at 12:40 pm

Yes, my friend. All Is Well!
          This week depleted me. A lot of rain and I was not able to go out for my long walks. And I do love walking in the rain, but NOT when it is lighting!
          I am restored, revived and still in love with HOPE!
          Is Ms. Dudette/Queen of Sheba all right? I missed her musical interludes at night.
          My personal DJ, I should say. That woman has skills!!

July 19, 2014 at 2:28 pm

Dudette’s been fine, but working hard. Also, her family, who was traveling, has returned so I suspect she’s been doing a whole lot of ‘catching up’. And yes, our D-ette has lots of musical skills. I can imagine her live DJ-ing a really ‘hot’ session! If we ever get a TOD weekend cruise planned, we would have to save the DJ position for D-ette and her hand-picked TOD backup ‘musicians’. :grin: :grin:

• 75 a4alice
      July 19, 2014 at 1:55 pm

ooooh that’s beautiful VC. Hope you are having a good day! :-)

July 19, 2014 at 2:24 pm

I am, thank you a4A! I’ve simply been bouncing in and out and sometimes, like you, I’m more out than in. ;) ;) How are things with you?

• 77 a4alice
          July 19, 2014 at 4:04 pm

Pretty good but hectic at work I just got back in harvesting our garlic: 55 heads! w00t! :-)

July 19, 2014 at 4:14 pm

Not there was something I didn’t think of planting when I was starting my garden this year! Must have suspected you’d have enough for both of us. ;) ;)

Do you check your harvest daily? I confess I haven’t gone back out to *my* garden since discovering that the critters had destroyed virtually all my corn crop.

• 83 Cha
      July 19, 2014 at 5:27 pm

Mahalo for the beautiful pic, vc!

July 19, 2014 at 5:45 pm

YW, Cha.

I really do like the @Interior account, even though I have never been to any of the places they highlight, and am unlikely ever to do so. I particularly like that it’s a more responsive account than most. Twice in the past I missed their weekly summary of Dept of Interior activities and when I asked if they had forgotten to put one out I was quite shocked to receive an answer. Now if I miss it, I know where to go to retrieve it, thanks to the 2nd direct response!

20. 85 africa
    July 19, 2014 at 12:10 pm

Hmmmm

21. July 19, 2014 at 12:11 pm

July 19, 2014 at 12:12 pm

for LL, in case I go zzzzzz

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

July 19, 2014 at 12:18 pm

sis’s plane has crossed into indian airspace. phew.

and no, she does not own it.

24. 107 Vicki
    July 19, 2014 at 12:20 pm

More good Obamacare news. Maybe it has been noted at TOD already, but just in case you missed it as I did here it is:

United Healthcare a staunch opponent of the ACA has announced that they will be participating in at least 2 dozen states starting on November 15, 2014, the day Open Enrollment begins again.
    The more providers the more competition. The more competition, the lower prices for all.

A Win for America! LandslideDems2014

25. 109 PrayerWarriorforObama
    July 19, 2014 at 12:22 pm

A beautiful Saturday to TOD and Happy Birthday LL!

26. July 19, 2014 at 12:28 pm

In a comment that I made yesterday I speculated that the Russian BUK SAM systems were likely hightailing it back to Russia … well ….

27. July 19, 2014 at 12:34 pm

GM, TOD!
    So busy catching up I forgot to say Hi, Ms. Chips!
    Please charge it to my head and not my heart. And then MK’s tweet about “no roses in the Rose Garden” just set me off.
    I know he does this on purpose. I must practice react when he does.

What a week!
    So grateful that our President is Barack Obama.
    Have a great weekend TOD!

28. July 19, 2014 at 12:36 pm

Morning everyone!

Thank you all for your birthday wishes!

I’m fortifying myself with a healthy breakfast and getting ready to hit the road. Traffic to Buellton is light, so we should make blazing speed.

See everyone later!

29. July 19, 2014 at 12:38 pm

#OWNthe114th

30. July 19, 2014 at 12:44 pm

Wishing everyone a safe and happy weekend. I absolutely love the weekend revue. Fills my day with happiness.

31. 131 MightyPamela
    July 19, 2014 at 12:53 pm

Comment vamoosed.. One more try to wish everyone the best day. I hope PBO has a bit of down time at Camp David, at least can wear khakis, jeans or shorts without being criticized, by those who want to be him so bad. God Bless President Obama in these difficult days of transition between the ages. Bye til later! <3

32. 132 Nena20409
    July 19, 2014 at 1:34 pm

Happy DOB LL

And many more years to come.

Happy Birthday to LL, Happy Birthday to you.

RSS OFA