Jul

Welcome To Democracy

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to Tuesday

• • •

Then this happened

• • •

And then this happened

***

• • •

This perfectly sums up Tuesday’s ObamaCare news

• • •

Bill R.

– In North Carolina, 357,584 people are paying an average monthly premium of $81 — and repeal would result in an average monthly loss of subsidies/cost increase of $300.

– In Michigan, 272,539 people are paying an average monthly premium of $97 — and repeal would result in an average monthly loss of subsidies/cost increase of $246.

– In New Hampshire, 40,262 people are paying an average monthly premium of $100 — and repeal would result in an average monthly loss of subsidies/cost increase of $290.

– In Louisiana, 101,778 people are paying an average monthly premium of $83 — and repeal would result in an average monthly loss of subsides/cost increase of $314.

– In Iowa, 29,163 people are paying an average monthly premium of $108 — and repeal would result in an average monthly loss of subsidies/cost increase of $243.

– In Alaska, 12,890 people are paying an average monthly premium of $94 — and repeal would result in an average monthly loss of subsidies/cost increase of $413.

– In Georgia, 316,543 people are paying an average monthly premium of $54 — and repeal would result in an average monthly loss of subsidies/cost increase in premiums of $287.

More reasons why the Halbig decision is not good news for the GOP. It’s an advertisement for the ACA and lets people know about the existence of subsidies. The initial DC decision will not stand, and even the Scotusblog said if it gets to the SCOTUS the ACA will be upheld by the original 5-4 majority. How many GOPers want run on a platform of taking away benefits already received by their own constituents. In Florida alone 750K Floridians get subsidies for their insurance that would be taken away, while states with exchanges continue to get them. This is bad news for GOP candidates, both for the Senate and governorships.

• • •

111 Responses to “Welcome To Democracy”

July 22, 2014 at 4:20 pm

HI

July 22, 2014 at 4:21 pm

IT’S ONLY ME WORKING ON MY TECH CLUNKER and quite pleased with this result

• 11 Anna
      July 22, 2014 at 4:22 pm

Hi back at you

• July 22, 2014 at 4:23 pm

It’s VC – and she’s still computing!!!!

An epic post Nerdy, I missed most of the Halbig news today, so this is a brilliant way of catching up – thank yoooooou Legend!!!!

• July 22, 2014 at 4:38 pm

Congrats VC! ……if it makes you feel better my laptop screen went kaput last week as well……only way I can use it is hooking it up to my T.V. w/ a HDMI cable. It is a pain in the ass, cord is 3ft. long so I get headaches from looking at the T.V. trying to find the mouse pointer :(

July 22, 2014 at 4:46 pm

Hi there LPlains! Good to see you.

Hooking laptop up to my T.V. w/ a HDMI cable was actually one of the suggestions made to me and I considered. Couldn’t get that going, so I’m mulling other options as I really can’t/shouldn’t swing for a new laptop/ipod/whatever in the next couple of months. Gotta pretend to be an adult – at least financially. ;) ;)

• 23 Layla
          July 22, 2014 at 4:53 pm

My laptop screen is hooked up to my TV and it works great for me. Laptop and TV on a table and a wireless keyboard.

July 22, 2014 at 4:58 pm

Good afternoon, Ms Layla. How are you today?

Does your screen work without your TV though? Mine stopped working completely, and one phone ‘tech’ told me that if my screen was absolutely black, ie. dead, then the screen to TV option wouldn’t work.

• 25 Layla
              July 22, 2014 at 5:05 pm

I am ok vc, how are you, beside the computer issues…I have no screen, just the computer part LOL I have a ‘very sophisticated’ set up here, which appears to be much worse than yours LOL

July 22, 2014 at 5:11 pm

Well, your setup’s working, as is mine, so I won’t knock either. At least not today. ;)

• 27 GGail
              July 22, 2014 at 5:42 pm

vc, if your laptop boots up, but the monitor doesn’t show a picture, then you should be able to use the cable hook up that LP and Layla is suggesting.

Ask offspring to help you.

July 22, 2014 at 6:03 pm

Hello there, you west coast devotee! :grin:

I asked offspring to check into this yesterday and it turned out we didn’t have the appropriate cable, and the TV I wanted to use (small and easily moveable) didn’t have the right output or whatever it’s called. Therefore, this morning I went looking for the cable, and maybe a small screen with HDMI outlet capabilities. That’s when I was told by another amateur ‘techie’ that a completely dead monitor would not work with this method. Anyhoo, I’m still researching my options, and because I have this partial backup machine, I don’t feel like the world’s coming to an end. See, most of my nearby repair options suggest almost 2 weeks + $$ so I tell them I couldn’t survive that long. The replace option is currently on the back, back burner.

BTW *you* will be pleasantly surprised to hear that I actually tried to use my new phone to enter TOD land last night!!! I was able to read some of Lib_L’s post though I couldn’t post myself. How. evah. it was very stressful on the eyes – I don’t get how people here regularly follow on their phone – so I gave it up and settled down with some light reading. I think the timing of my experience is meant to build my patience, of which I am not endowed. ;)

• July 22, 2014 at 4:59 pm

Howdy!…Hooking up the HDMI should be pretty easy….just plug one end on the side (usually next to the USB input) and the other into the T.V. input (pretend it is a DVD player you are connecting) just remember which input on your T.V. (1,2,3,PC) you are putting the other end of the HDMI cable in,and use your T.V. remote to switch accordingly.

If that doesn’t work (get your son/friend/someone computer literate) to help or try this:

…this site out http://www.laptopscreen.com/ and see if you can find your models screen:

• 30 No Child Left Behind
      July 22, 2014 at 5:05 pm

VC!!! Congrats on your gold medal! It has become a daily venture for you. :star:

July 22, 2014 at 5:13 pm

Bonjour, NCLB! Good to see you in good spirits, and TY. Not daily re medals, but often enough that I can probably leave my heirs a healthy inheritance. ;) ;)

2. July 22, 2014 at 4:32 pm

This is the best:

Judge Andre M. Davis, confirmed by the Senate in 2009 by a vote of 72-16, sought to take down the challengers’ claims with an amusing pizza analogy. Here’s the excerpt from his concurring opinion in the 3-0 ruling for the law:

“In fact, Appellants’ reading is not literal; it’s cramped. No case stands for the proposition that literal readings should take place in a vacuum, acontextually, and untethered from other parts of the operative text; indeed, the case law indicates the opposite. … So does common sense: If I ask for pizza from Pizza Hut for lunch but clarify that I would be fine with a pizza from Domino’s, and I then specify that I want ham and pepperoni on my pizza from Pizza Hut, my friend who returns from Domino’s with a ham and pepperoni pizza has still complied with a literal construction of my lunch order. That is this case: Congress specified that Exchanges should be established and run by the states, but the contingency provision permits federal officials to act in place of the state when it fails to establish an Exchange.”

• 33 0388jojothecat
      July 22, 2014 at 7:12 pm

That’s how I understood the law to say? “that there is a contingency provision for the federal government to establish an Exchange if states don’t”. All of a sudden you hear in the media the law does not say the federal government can establish and Exchange.

Where are our ACA experts? Calling Lovely Tally!

3. July 22, 2014 at 4:33 pm

• July 22, 2014 at 5:22 pm

I still vividly remember when that Russian spy was poisoned.

So shocking that plutonium was used, and so excruciating for the spy and his family.

How is it the GOP/MSM turned a blind eye to this event after the spy’s death and both led the cheering section for Putin as did the emoPutins/Snowdenwald dudebros?

Who could have imagined this unspeakable turn of events when Putin began usurping power from Ukraine?

Every pundit who led the cheers for Putin and against PBO needs to admit they were wrong… looking at you, Chris Hayes, emoputin extrodinaire and GGreenwald’s BFF.

• 36 Nena20409
        July 22, 2014 at 6:05 pm

Nov 2008 election and then the swearing in of Mr. Obama as the POTUS happened. That is it. Nothing more. Nothing less.

July 22, 2014 at 4:35 pm

5. July 22, 2014 at 4:43 pm

TMI:

Don’t know what raked in more this, or the Boehner lawsuit:

Congress refuses to do its job #obamsfault

July 22, 2014 at 4:59 pm

I don’t think Snoop Dogg will ever be invited back to the White House. I’ve never been a fan of his. When you are invited to someone’s house you don’t come there doing something like that. You respect the person house.

• 45 Nena20409
      July 22, 2014 at 6:11 pm

The Blame pres Obama do NOTHING Town Crier Speaker John Boehner.

The DC press in unison would go to the WH presser nearly every day and cover for the sorry Rusty Orange Crush Boehner.

6. 46 Linda
    July 22, 2014 at 4:49 pm

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Homeland Security Department said Tuesday it arrested 192 people along the Mexican border in South Texas on immigrant-smuggling charges and seized more than $625,000, part of the Obama administration’s efforts to discourage and disrupt the flood of tens of thousands of people crossing the border illegally.

The arrests, which took place under a crackdown called “Operation Coyote,” took place over the last month and were part of a 90-day effort targeting smuggling groups.

The White House has complained that smugglers are exploiting U.S. policies that, in practice, allow Central American kids to stay for years or indefinitely once they arrive, and it has proposed increasing penalties for smugglers.

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement said it also took into custody 501 immigrants in the country illegally. It said it seized the money from 228 bank accounts held by suspected human- and drug-smuggling groups.

The Rio Grande Valley in South Texas is the Border Patrol’s busiest spot along the Mexico border. Border agents have arrested more than 200,000 border crossers in the area some Oct. 1.

The majority of the more than 57,000 child immigrants caught crossing the border without their parents or a guardian have also been taken into custody in the area.

7. July 22, 2014 at 4:50 pm

Nobody has been reporting on the militias fighting to control Tripoli’s airport:

Bibi knows he is in trouble:

• 48 Nena20409
      July 22, 2014 at 6:20 pm

In Benghazi, Libya…..near the same spot where Amb Stevens and 3 other CIA operatives were killed, there were 4 or more Libyan ‘officials’ killed by bombings.

A nation of 6M or so with mostly educated folks and a potential wealthy nation are not looking at Tunisia for guidance and stability…..they are tearing themselves apart and that is so sad.

If the nation is made safe, most will reap the benefit. But with chaos, few will reap the wealth at the expense of the many.

July 22, 2014 at 5:03 pm

Let’s see what that’s about now…

July 22, 2014 at 5:04 pm

Finally finished the #Halbig tweets; TY Nerdy. Shaking my head at the way it seems so many Repub judges are willing to treat their jobs essentially as a game. IMO it’s such a shame (and makes a farce of the entire justice thingy) that who nominated you to a judgeship (?) should play such importance in your subsequent decisions!

10. July 22, 2014 at 5:07 pm

this is a great blog and pictures of the fires on the East side of mountains in Washington. the Methow Valley is so beautiful and full of wild animals of all types -cooler today with some rain and winds are fairly calm Pray for the people of the Valley

• July 22, 2014 at 5:31 pm

I’ve missed some of the posts here, but haven’t seen much on the situation in central Washington.

Thanks for bringing it here, and thanks for your retweets!

A cousin of mine whose mother was close to my Mom lives in Ellensburg WA. Love that area, and of course, the scenery just gets more spectacular as you head west.

Also just heard on the radio that the last (?) victim of the Oso landslide was discovered today.

Mother Nature has not been kind to Washington state these past few months. :(

11. July 22, 2014 at 5:07 pm

Are any print even considering how the US Supreme Court will rule?
    It’s possible they take it up.

12. 58 MadameSoph
    July 22, 2014 at 5:08 pm

Thank you for all of this info Nerdy!

My first thought when I saw that ugly Halbig decision was personal, I must admit. I panicked at the thought that I would lose my subsidy, which affects not only my healthcare choices, but also my tax issues and business decisions as a self-employed person. When I read further and saw that the decision would not affect those of us in states that have set up exchanges (Yay California!) but would impact those in the states that have refused to set them up, the next thing that came to mind was “elections matter!”

Those voters in the states that have refused to set up exchanges need to wake up and vote out their ACA-hating governors and state representatives. This should be a big campaign issue in red states!

13. July 22, 2014 at 5:09 pm

Did someone say “Wang Chung”?

July 22, 2014 at 5:09 pm

15. July 22, 2014 at 5:13 pm

I get followed by the strangest accounts. To wit: LyphOfTheParty.com. I blame Chips.

July 22, 2014 at 5:13 pm

• July 22, 2014 at 5:20 pm

The WH releases it to the AP wire and other news organizations puck it up.

July 22, 2014 at 5:24 pm

The WH doesn’t dictate to the AP what headline to use and how to frame the inform. That’s ALL on @AP and their GOP/Putin/Snowden-loving stenographers

July 22, 2014 at 5:19 pm

18. July 22, 2014 at 5:28 pm

19. July 22, 2014 at 5:33 pm

20. July 22, 2014 at 5:34 pm

21. July 22, 2014 at 5:43 pm

22. July 22, 2014 at 5:47 pm

Good Day Tod’s!

((DF)) thinking and praying for you today….

Here’s something cute:-)

July 22, 2014 at 5:48 pm

24. 88 JER
    July 22, 2014 at 5:55 pm

• July 22, 2014 at 6:26 pm

I was up on the roof for an hour, cloud cover very low and dense. The air was quiet, one plane went over, very low and directly over my building, it looked too small to be AF1. After an interval, smaller, routine commercial air traffic started coming in quickly, so I came in. My neighbor agreed it was probably past time for PBO to have landed. Oh well. It was certainly pleasant up there, in the soft rain, the garden beds are all in full bloom! Peaceful!

25. July 22, 2014 at 5:55 pm

Nerdy Wonka, thanks for including my post. The bottom line on the DC Court is that when the full panel rules, it automatically vacates the first ruling. Three of the five are PBO appointments, so we know how that story will end.

July 22, 2014 at 5:56 pm

Yes, the MSM is clearly on a disinformation campaign – and it’s critical to push back.

27. 92 JER
    July 22, 2014 at 5:58 pm

July 22, 2014 at 5:59 pm

BOOM.

29. July 22, 2014 at 5:59 pm

Deals Worth $900 Million to Be Unveiled at Africa Summit:-)

Companies will unveil at least $900 million in business deals at a U.S. summit on investment in Africa next month, according to the Commerce Department.
    The U.S.-Africa Leaders Summit, to be held Aug. 4-6 in Washington, will be the forum for companies to announce the deals, which include some U.S. government funding, agency spokeswoman Marni Goldberg said today in an e-mail. She didn’t have further details.

30. July 22, 2014 at 5:59 pm

It’s worse:

31. July 22, 2014 at 6:03 pm

Wow! I had no idea…SMH!!!

32. 99 dotster3
    July 22, 2014 at 6:04 pm

33. 100 JER
    July 22, 2014 at 6:04 pm

Watch Live: President Obama arrives Seattle, Washington – http://www.komonews.com/live

34. July 22, 2014 at 6:04 pm

JOE

35. July 22, 2014 at 6:05 pm

Is this true?

• July 22, 2014 at 6:10 pm

The “mysteriously” cracks me up :-)

Read earlier than PBO was due to appear on the Jimmy Kimmel show, have no clue if that was true – but I’d guess if it was, it was canceled because of the current world situation. TMZ do love their mysteries :roll:

• July 22, 2014 at 6:56 pm

He has cancelled and Josh Earnest covered it in today’s DPB so it’s not really a mystery.

36. July 22, 2014 at 6:11 pm

37. 107 JER
    July 22, 2014 at 6:12 pm

38. 108 Nena20409
    July 22, 2014 at 6:40 pm

Just a test. Please pardon me.

7-21-14 WH presser with Josh ‘The Voice’ Earnest.