Jul

A Word from our beautiful Desertflower

by DesertFlower

You folks are amazing and wonderful. We really are a family here that cares about each other in good times and tough times and I love you all for that. To thank each of you individually would take all day, so I’ll just give you all my thanks and hugs here…been a tough week, but, we all have those. I have a home and I don’t have to worry every day and night that a bomb might drop on me and my family. I can leave my home safely. I have water and electricity…24/7. I’m free to do a job that I love to do. I am not persecuted for my religion or lack of one.

I miss my mom and my incredible gentle giant, Simi. I’ll miss them everyday until I’m gone from this earth. The house is eerily quiet today and I have so much more space…she had her stuff all over the place..big beds everywhere…so she could be with the family wherever we were….no the space where they used to be , just makes the house echo. I need a rug there, or something, I thought to myself this morning. The vet that came to put her down yesterday asked me if I would like to have a paw print from her…I burst out crying because moments before, as I sat waiting for them to come for her, I kicked myself for NOT having the foresight to have something like this at the ready. I looked online and all I saw were plasters that I had to cook first, then cool. I had no time nor inclination for all that! So when they asked me if I’d like a paw print of her in remembrance, well…I was so happy and touched.

For my mom…If I still lived in CT at the shore, I would be down at the jetty at our beach, with a bundle of daisies for her. I loved to do that…just go down and talk to her there. But, no shore in AZ! So I pretty much just know that she’s here with me and I talk to her and I hear her voice and see her smile and feel her extraordinary presence around me…all the time. So, its ok…I celebrate her life and don’t dwell so much on the fact that she’s not here. I’d really love it, though, if those that are reading this, would just kiss and hug your parents…tell them how much you love them and how much they mean to you. Life happens quickly and we all need to live a life with no regrets. You will put a smile on their face and that’s what it’s all about.

I have my kiddos to tutor today. I can hardly wait. It’s where I should be…doing good and taking my mind off things…then I may just go get a pedicure. :) Seriously. Love you all. truly I do. I’ll be ok. Time is a wonderful healer. Put this on the last thread..but quick draw had a new thread up already…. This is for my mom, my dear Sims, and all my TOD family. Hugs.

167 Responses to “A Word from our beautiful Desertflower”

1. July 23, 2014 at 11:51 am

DF, I had to front page your comment, it was just so beautiful.

Love ya.

2. 33 JER
    July 23, 2014 at 11:57 am

LIVE STREAM ALERT: 2:00 PM EDT – Vice President Biden Speaks at the NAACP National Convention –

http://www.whitehouse.gov/live (AUDIO ONLY)

3. 35 JER
    July 23, 2014 at 12:01 pm

DF: My thoughts are with you. May the memories of wonderful times past give you comfort.

4. 38 JER
    July 23, 2014 at 12:08 pm

5. July 23, 2014 at 12:12 pm

6. July 23, 2014 at 12:12 pm

{{{{{ <3 :bear: <3 }}}}} With you, dear DF, waterworks to match our beautiful summer rain! They are all with us now, and will be at the gates of Heaven to greet us with open Hearts and gladness! Much love, many blessings, Light all around You.

7. 42 Cindy
    July 23, 2014 at 12:13 pm

Kindness will one day, change the globe.
    Thank you desertfulflower, for bringing words of beauty, to the human soul.

“Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough.” Franklin D. Roosevelt

• 43 Cindy
      July 23, 2014 at 12:17 pm

Correction: desertflower (computer glitch)

Kindness will one day, change the globe.
      Thank you desertflower, for bringing words of beauty, to the human soul.

–Franklin D. Roosevelt

8. July 23, 2014 at 12:13 pm

Mesa love Eric cantor. Lol

9. 48 Linda
    July 23, 2014 at 12:17 pm

Mrs Greenspan just called the plane crash site ” The Killing Fields ”

The Killing Fields in Cambodia held 1.7 million bodies.

• 49 Jeff
      July 23, 2014 at 1:42 pm

What a stupid woman. I still cannot figure out why Andrea Mitchel is so deceptive and manipulative in her reporting and the media is always …

10. 50 Dudette
    July 23, 2014 at 12:20 pm

11. 58 dotster3
    July 23, 2014 at 12:21 pm

Want to add my sympathy to df also for all the sadness she has had to experience. And my respect for her healthy attitude about it, expressing gratitude for the gifts she has, knowing that she’ll be alright and that time heals. And for the good advice to express love early and often to family. Every time I talk to my mom, who will be 97 tomorrow, I always try to add a thank you for something special she did as a mom for which I am forever grateful—–and to tell her I love her—-for the billionth time but you can’t say it too much. I talked to her yesterday after HER pedicure—–we laughed about how great I thought it was that she still wanted her toes to be cute.

12. 59 No Child Left Behind
    July 23, 2014 at 12:26 pm

Geeee! I was left behind on the previous thread. I even have one comment in moderation!

I have to be more careful.

Good Afternoon TODVille!

13. 67 JER
    July 23, 2014 at 12:27 pm

14. 68 donna dem 4 obama
    July 23, 2014 at 12:31 pm

{{{df}}} much <3 and my sympathy to you.

15. July 23, 2014 at 12:31 pm

• 70 Vicki
      July 23, 2014 at 12:38 pm

LEVERAGE!!!!!!
      Israel can no longer bomb Gaza and its poulation into smithereens with impunity.

Israel now has skin in the game.

It is a 24 hour extension. I hope it holds until the Gaza blockade and siege are lifted.

• 71 Dudette
      July 23, 2014 at 12:38 pm

From last night…

• 72 Dudette
        July 23, 2014 at 12:40 pm

Update in the article: KLM joined in on the suspensions too.

• July 23, 2014 at 1:38 pm

Sometimes, it’s the private sector who can save the day. No matter how much Congress is one-sided in this conflict, they can’t control what the private sector does. Aviation companies are not interested in risking losing money and losing their name in regards to security.

Bibi is like many republicans here. Shoot first, think afterwards. This over-the-top attack on Gaza is a strategic blunder of the highest proportions. May the Israëli people wake up and stop supporting fools.

• 74 nospin
        July 23, 2014 at 1:08 pm

hope Bloomberg continues to fly over that area until the suspension is lifted.

• 75 Jeff
        July 23, 2014 at 1:45 pm

I have no kind thoughts to Bloomberg and will keep silent.

• 76 Linda
      July 23, 2014 at 12:39 pm

I guess Michael Bloomberg’s stunt of flying there on a ” Commercial Jet ” instead of his private plane did not sway them.

Mrs Greenspan was praising him for flying commercial…which she said was extraordinary…..

• 77 Cindy
        July 23, 2014 at 12:57 pm

Probably just a matter of time before Congress, Mrs. Greenspan, and the right wing crazies blow a fuse and blame President Obama, and accuse him of siding with Gaza.

• 78 nospin
          July 23, 2014 at 1:10 pm

well they can all get on a plane and fly over…. wait…

• 79 Jeff
          July 23, 2014 at 1:47 pm

If President Obama sided with Gaza I would be jumping up and cheering this very moment. Israel is lying and our media is being complacent.

16. 80 donna dem 4 obama
    July 23, 2014 at 12:32 pm

17. 84 HZ
    July 23, 2014 at 12:41 pm

One of the most precious and lovely souls in this beautiful TOD community, our Desertflower. My loving hugs to you. Each one carries with it a piece of my loving strength and beauty to lift your spirit. You are a beautiful soul. {{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{ My Desertflower}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}HZ

18. July 23, 2014 at 12:42 pm

Desertflower, I’m so sorry to hear your sad news. It’s amazing how much we love our pets. That the loss of your Simi is so close to the anniversary of your Mom–well in the absence of the right words to offer I send some big hugs to you. I hope the memories you cherish will ease the loss you feel so acutely.

19. July 23, 2014 at 12:44 pm

Imagine This…..a cure…in our time

20. July 23, 2014 at 12:48 pm

21. 96 Dudette
    July 23, 2014 at 12:50 pm

How about turning one of those red Senate seats back to BLUE? Georgia can DO THIS!

22. 98 Dudette
    July 23, 2014 at 12:53 pm

Folks, we can put a Democrat back in the governor’s seat in Georgia! Let’s get this DONE!

23. July 23, 2014 at 12:59 pm

We have way more capabilities than this displays, but it does make the point that if you launch anything, we’re watching ….

24. 105 Dudette
    July 23, 2014 at 1:04 pm

Worth a repeat

25. 107 Dudette
    July 23, 2014 at 1:06 pm

26. July 23, 2014 at 1:06 pm

• 112 Jeff
      July 23, 2014 at 1:54 pm

It’s also similar to how the Germans thought about the Jews in WWII. The media was highly regulated during that time and people were only told one side of the story. Gaza is a giant concentration camp and much of the media is misinforming people on what is actually happening over there. When the truth comes out and it will soon as more and more people are becoming outraged on what’s going on.

BTW I am not in anyway demeaning what happened in the Holocaust I found it to be a horrific period. However, so many say NEVER forget, yet that is exactly what is happening. Jon Steward (as much as I loath of some of the things he’s said about the President), is right on when he mentioned the biased coverage of Israel among our media.

27. 113 donna dem 4 obama
    July 23, 2014 at 1:07 pm

• 114 nospin
      July 23, 2014 at 1:24 pm

U.N. Humans Rights Chief says Israel IS committing war crimes in Gaza

There fixed.

The US tax payers should not be funding Bibi’s wars.

• July 23, 2014 at 1:45 pm

It pains me to see President Obama being forced to parse his words when he talks about Israël. He must be disgusted with Bibi. He knows full well that with Netanyahu, he’s dealing with the same kind of delusional and dangerous thinking that the republicans display on the domestic front.

28. 116 Linda
    July 23, 2014 at 1:08 pm

Rep. Jim Himes (D-CT) on Wednesday put a C-SPAN caller in his place after he asked the congressman to defend President Obama from a laundry list of scandals coveted by conservatives.

The caller rattled off a list including Benghazi, the IRS scandal, NSA surveillance, Fast and Furious and the Veterans Affairs scandal. He also asked Himes to address the theory that Obama was responsible for the 2013 federal government shutdown, not Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX).

“Any other president would have been laughed out of office by now if he’d have been a Republican,” the caller said. “This guy gets away with murder!”

“That was quite a list,” Himes said after the caller completed his recitation of 20 or so scandals and conspiracies.

The congressman began to defend Obama, but instead suggested a different news diet to the caller.

“I will try to attend to defend — actually, I’m not going to,” Himes said. “Look, with all due respect, Bob, maybe a little more C-SPAN and a little bit less Fox News. That was the grab bag of everything that Fox News and my friends on the Republican Caucus of the House in particular have tried to hang around the president.”

video at link

July 23, 2014 at 1:29 pm

Tell that right wing nut that G.W. Bush and Dick Cheney should have been thrown out of office for Iraq, they weren’t.

29. 118 Dudette
    July 23, 2014 at 1:08 pm

30. July 23, 2014 at 1:09 pm

If Putin loses Merkel’s tolerance, he’s going to be completely isolated ….

31. 121 Dudette
    July 23, 2014 at 1:11 pm

It’s not even at the worst point yet…

32. 122 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    July 23, 2014 at 1:11 pm

Desertflower, so sorry for your loss. May you find comfort and joy in the loving memories of your Mom and Simi.

33. 123 Dudette
    July 23, 2014 at 1:11 pm

July 23, 2014 at 1:48 pm

Mr. Robinson earned every bit of the adulation he received – and still receives. Some people truly show courage, while simply trying to live out their lives to the fullest and on an equal footing. Some we remember and admire; others we hear little about. Heroes, all.

34. 126 Dudette
    July 23, 2014 at 1:13 pm

• 127 Nena20409
      July 23, 2014 at 1:56 pm

The Truth, time time as told by that NBC reporter and many others plus the Social media………and the many EU, BBC, AJ, etc stations, can’t be brushed off as meaningless any longer…..No matter how Andrea Mitchell, Chuck Todd, etc may feel.

Times like this reminds me of Helen Thomas. She had her bias. She also held people in power accountable.

The Truth always wins. Justice maybe delayed. But in the end, Right wins over wrong.

• 128 Jeff
      July 23, 2014 at 2:01 pm

They did this act wantonly and the lamestream genocidal supporting media lied.

35. July 23, 2014 at 1:15 pm

He knows his history ….

36. 131 Dudette
    July 23, 2014 at 1:17 pm

37. 132 Nena20409
    July 23, 2014 at 1:20 pm

{{{ <3 + Hugs + Prayers}}} to DF and family.

38. 133 Dudette
    July 23, 2014 at 1:21 pm

39. 134 dotster3
    July 23, 2014 at 1:26 pm

The scenes from the Netherlands, as they pay respect to those they lost, are so moving—-tear-jerking. I read the number they lost was proportional to the number we lost on 9/11. Thousands are lining the roads and on the overpasses as the motorcade with the remains pass. Such a senseless tragedy—–once again—-all that loss of so many promising lives.
    I read where the couple who lost all 3 of their beautiful children who were flying home to Australia with their grandfather said the pain is intense and relentless, that they will have to live with this horror every moment for the rest of their lives, said they are living in a hell beyond hell.

40. July 23, 2014 at 1:30 pm

New post in 12 minutes, 14 seconds. Ish.

41. July 23, 2014 at 1:31 pm

By the way, no sign of VC today – do you think her computing machine has finally exploded?

42. 139 Anna
    July 23, 2014 at 1:32 pm

((((Hugs to you DF)))), You are amazing and wonderful to share those thoughts with us, moms, four legged friends, some of the best things in life.

July 23, 2014 at 1:34 pm

DF – So glad you have such sweet memories, along with your sorrow. Hugs and much love to you.

44. 141 Nena20409
    July 23, 2014 at 1:35 pm

There was an article posted her this week from NYT or so suggesting that The South this midterm could lean Democratic with African American votes.

I read parts of that article and I got really frustrated. The author was either clueless or totally willfully and selectively misinforming people.

Dems have owned the Southern Votes until 1964.

After the Southern Strategy, Dems still controlled the Southern State Houses until after Reagan/Bush and that shift became obvious in 1994 as Dems for the 1st time in 40 years lost the Control of the House of Rep. African Americans have always given the Dems the margin of Victory since after 1970s as the Southern Whites flight to the GOP nationally and then locally continued. Clinton won the few Southern states because African Americans voted for him by 85%. White Dems left in the South, be they 10-20%, should they vote to reflect their registration, many Southern States today will have Dems in control.

Pardon me…..just my mini rant this afternoon.

45. 142 Nena20409
    July 23, 2014 at 1:37 pm

Hello TOD. Congrats to all Gold Medalists starting with this post and 3 back.

Lost my manners there for a moment.

Pardon me ;)

July 23, 2014 at 1:40 pm

” … Blood donations are down about 8 percent — locally and across the nation — since early May, and Red Cross officials are trying to step up their blood-collecting efforts before any major shortages arrive later this summer.”

47. 146 Nena20409
    July 23, 2014 at 1:41 pm

Another Blow to DG’s Image? What Image?

July 23, 2014 at 1:48 pm

I’m sure the Koch Brothers have something else for David Gregory when he is fired. He has been a good GOP soldier.

• 148 Linda
        July 23, 2014 at 1:56 pm

Koch Industries has been running ads here in Georgia saying how wonderful they are.

Seems odd to me. I have never seen an ad for that company before.

• July 23, 2014 at 2:01 pm

Their effective anonymity has been exposed so now they have to propagandize openly, Linda. That’s why we need to continue to have their name associated with all the evil they do and the fact that they are not Republicans but Bircher Libertarian dominionist theocrats.

48. July 23, 2014 at 1:41 pm

49. 151 ctgirl7
    July 23, 2014 at 1:43 pm

Sending ((((HUGS)))) your way sweet DF :-)

50. 152 Linda
    July 23, 2014 at 1:51 pm

Here are the 7 that voted against tax credits for businesses that bring jobs back to America.

Coburn (R-OK)
    Graham (R-SC)
    Inhofe (R-OK)
    Johnson (R-WI)
    Lee (R-UT)
    Paul (R-KY)
    Roberts (R-KS)

Why do they hate America ????

51. 154 Linda
    July 23, 2014 at 2:00 pm

Democrat Charlie Crist Surges and Opens Up a 6 Point in Florida Governor’s Race

• 155 Jeff
      July 23, 2014 at 2:05 pm

two polls have Crist in the lead. However I hope that Florida does not get complacent. Polls mean little especially when Kingston was supposed to beat his competition in Georgia.

52. 156 dotster3
    July 23, 2014 at 2:00 pm

Sick

53. 157 Nena20409
    July 23, 2014 at 2:02 pm

I don’t know if this is true. But I don’t see how helpful this is. The daughter if she has class, she should leave on her own.

54. 158 dotster3
    July 23, 2014 at 2:03 pm

UGH

55. July 23, 2014 at 2:09 pm

I say all this because it goes to the heart of the challenge we are facing as a country today…who’s vision of America will prevail? Does our vision include the experiences of everyone – or only those of white people? The truth is – I don’t know what its like to be a person of color in this country because I haven’t experienced it. In order to craft a vision that includes everyone, I need to listen to those who have a different experience. That is the only way we’ll ever “form a more perfect union.”

***************************************

In some ways i am reminded of that movie…”Black Like Me”…adapted from the book…Black like Me…

56. 163 Nena20409
    July 23, 2014 at 2:15 pm

Justice Kennedy didn’t he read the argument on the 2nd Amendment ruling? He voted for it in 2008, changing the 200 years plus understood interpretations? Seriously? He has a different view now? Someone please help me to understand.

This man will be 78 soon and a ruling made just 6 yrs ago and Now he has a different View?

He then proceeded to a brief, historical defense of Scalia’s 2008 ruling that overturned a ban on handguns in Washington, D.C., and declared that the Second Amendment protects an individual’s right to possess at least certain firearms at home.
    The Second Amendment, ratified along with the rest of the Bill of Rights in 1791, had been interpreted by the court as late as 1939 to protect only the right to bear arms in a “well-regulated militia.” But Kennedy observed that constitutional understanding can change over time — for example, the 1896 ruling in Plessy vs. Ferguson, which upheld segregation in public transportation as “separate but equal,” wasn’t overturned by the court until the 1954 Brown vs. Board of Education decision, which outlawed school segregation and mandated equal treatment of the races under the Fourteenth Amendment.
    By the same token, he said, some critics have claimed that the decades, or the centuries, it took the court to declare an individual right to keep and bear arms “means that it doesn’t exist.”
    “I’m not so sure,” said Kennedy, who was part of Scalia’s 5-4 majority in the 2008 ruling.

57. 164 sjterrid
    July 23, 2014 at 2:28 pm

Thank you so much for writing this beautiful statement, Desertflower. I’m so sorry that your Simi had to be put to sleep, yesterday. You and your family are in my thought and prayers.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about your mother. My mom died almost 17 years ago, and there are times I really miss her. She was living in Florida at the time, and we used to talk all the time on the phone.

58. 165 Jeff
    July 23, 2014 at 2:33 pm

Very good article about Israeli’s refusing to serve. I did not know that women in Israel were not allowed to fight in combat but I am glad that they are against the occupation and destruction of a race of people.

59. 166 Betsy
    July 23, 2014 at 4:46 pm

Dear df,
    It’s so hard to lose a parent but a dearly loved pet as well, must seem too much to bear. I lost my dad 2 years ago now and it’s better but it’s impossible to go to funerals without breaking down. A year ago today we lost my brother-in-law to cancer at age 52, so I know a little of what you might be feeling. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

60. July 25, 2014 at 8:01 pm

Hi DF…I am late as usual as I am usually checking on each thread a day or more behind.
    However, I want to join in with all the others to express my sorrow on your lost – both Mother and Sims.
    The hurt will be healed but the joy that you had will always be with you.

RSS Steve Benen