Jul

Being Biden Volume 12-16

***

Vice President Biden calls Phyllis Gould, one of the original “Rosie the Riveters” at Kaiser Shipyard during WWII. The Vice President invites Phyllis to visit him at the White House and recalls a story from 1994 on the 50th anniversary of Normandy. Nov. 11, 2013 Photo Credit: US Senate Photo

***

***

Vice President Joe Biden with Jonathan Stoklosa, in the Vice President’s West Wing Office. Feb. 26, 2014 (Official White House Photo by David Lienemann)

***

***

Vice President Joe Biden meets with SEAL dog “Chopper” and his handler, Trevor Maroshek, a Navy SEAL Veteran, and Trevor’s wife, Rujuta, in the Eisenhower Executive Office Building. April 8, 2014 (Official White House Photo by David Lienemann)

***

***

Vice President Joe Biden meets with Alexandria Police Officer Peter Laboy and his family, in the Vice Presidents Ceremonial Office. Also pictured are Wife Suzanne Laboy, and sons Miles Weaver, Alejandro Laboy, and Marcos Laboy.  May 15, 2014(Official White House Photo by David Lienemann)

***

***

Vice President Joe Biden marches across the Edmund Pettus Bridge with Congresswoman Terri Sewell and Congressman John Lewis, during the 48th annual Bridge Crossing Ceremony in Selma, Alabama. March 3, 2014 (Official White House Photo by David Lienemann)

***

***

White House White Board: Vice President Biden on Rebuild America

145 Responses to “Being Biden Volume 12-16”

July 23, 2014 at 9:21 pm

Cool:

July 23, 2014 at 9:23 pm

Good evening to you, MightyPamela!

• July 23, 2014 at 10:15 pm

Hey, JO’B! If WP will allow me to comment. I’m thinking I’m in some kind of purgatory, being booted off for no reason I can fathom, then the whole page shuts down. Sometimes sad!

July 23, 2014 at 10:34 pm

I don’t understand this either Pamela. I had similar experiences last week, and so did/does my offspring, and then my computer screen died. The way I see it is if it was a problem that several people were having, why did only my screen die. Or alternately, if my screen was the cause of my being knocked out as frequently as I was almost daily last week, why are other people having the on-again, off-again experience? I am thoroughly confused by this, I tells ya!

July 23, 2014 at 10:52 pm

Sorry to hear that – luckily (and I hesitate writing this to jinx anything) WP is pretty “kind” to me. Fingers crossed!

• July 23, 2014 at 10:22 pm

Love how #2 can be #22 an hour later! ;)

2. 31 Dudette
    July 23, 2014 at 9:26 pm

Thank you LP! This is wonderful! <3 My Vice President!

3. July 23, 2014 at 9:26 pm

I do love my Manhattans; but some nights you just need ice cold ice water.

4. July 23, 2014 at 9:27 pm

I was listening to one of the local classic rock stations, and the dj person decided to be funny and say “I bet a lot of you are going grrr at the Obama traffic.” Gave her a hearty “fuck off” and switched to my classical station.

5. July 23, 2014 at 9:28 pm

Thanks LP for your Joey B love poem.

6. 37 Ladyhawke
    July 23, 2014 at 9:37 pm

ALL IN WITH CHRIS HAYES 07/23/14

Deval Patrick: ‘We’ve got a humanitarian crisis on our doorstop’

——————————————

Chris Hayes talks with Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick about his decision to temporally house some migrant children.

——————————————–

• 38 SUE DUVALL SMITH
      July 23, 2014 at 10:46 pm

I LOVE DEVAL PATRICK…AND THANK YOU GOVERNOR FOR OFFERING TO HELP CHILDREN IN NEED!!!!!…YES INDEED…LETS SEND ALL RACISTS TO ANOTHER COUNTRY…HOPEFULLY THE SAME ONE THAT WILL HOUSE BOEHNER.TURTLE,MCFRAID AND CRONIES…DOES GITMO HAVE A SISTER?

7. 40 japa21
    July 23, 2014 at 9:47 pm

Hey VC. You are just fantastical this evening. I hope you didn’t leave too many sprained ankles, broken arms, wrenched knees and dislocated shoulders behind you as you barged through.

• July 23, 2014 at 9:48 pm

“fantastical”?????

July 23, 2014 at 9:56 pm

What’s wrong with ‘fantastical’? Watch it, you!

• 43 japa21
        July 23, 2014 at 9:59 pm

I don’t cheat and vc is working under a technical handicap, so she can’t cheat. Oh, I get it, you are telling us that have you finally figured out cheating is wrong which is why you weren’t first.

July 23, 2014 at 9:52 pm

O no, Japa, no collateral damage this afternoon/evening; thankfully. Everyone had their body parts under wraps. I think people had other things on their minds so they weren’t really rushing to get in. At least that’s the only way I can explain that I made it through first with all the jumping up and down my screen was doing. Where were you?

• July 23, 2014 at 10:24 pm

That would have been me, VC. But I was already kinda busted up anyway, so don’t think the jumpy screen made much difference. Teeth clattering, tho it was! ;)

8. July 23, 2014 at 9:47 pm

Pool reports coming in from the fundraiser at Shonda Rhimes’ place:

9. 53 isonprize
    July 23, 2014 at 9:52 pm

Joey!!! My FAVORITE Vice President EVER!!!!!

10. 55 99ts
    July 23, 2014 at 9:55 pm

I’ve been 2 steps behind all day – too much TOD to take in today!

11. July 23, 2014 at 9:58 pm

Everything VP Joe Biden does comes from his heart. I love this series and the way he honors those with whom he comes in contact.

• 57 COS
      July 23, 2014 at 10:06 pm

This!!!! I love Joe Biden and wish that he could be the next President. He is the entire package, foreign policy and all.

• 61 Cindy
      July 23, 2014 at 10:21 pm

If VP Biden runs and O’Malley doesn’t; Biden/Patrick ticket

If VP Biden doesn’t run, and O’Malley does; O’Malley/Patrick ticket

If VP Biden doesn’t run, and Governor Patrick steps away from politics, as he has stated; O’Malley/Warren ticket

IMHO, any combination of the above could possibly be a “BEAUTIFUL” thing – just saying : )

ENJOY your Wednesday evening TOD………

12. 65 Jeff
    July 23, 2014 at 10:02 pm

Israel is lying about warning Gaza civilians before striking.

13. 72 Dudette
    July 23, 2014 at 10:25 pm

Nerd Alert: George Takei will be on The Daily Show Tonight. :-)

14. 73 Dudette
    July 23, 2014 at 10:27 pm

Tee-hee-hee! :-D

15. 78 Dudette
    July 23, 2014 at 10:34 pm

Poor Rover! :-(

July 23, 2014 at 10:49 pm

RANT ALERT:

So my comment about the media was in reference to the MSNBC’s supposed cancellation of that contributor’s future appearances because she criticized MSNBC’s coverage of the Israel-Palestinian conflict. Then yesterday she was suddenly re-invited to appear on #Inners with Chris Hayes. Well, something about that entire set of events gave me pause, so I was rather tentative in my support. Then there was a red flag with Greenwald’s “attaboy” to Chris Hayes sometime last night after the segment, which prompted me to check out the Twitter TL’s of both Rula Jebreal and Greenwald.

First of all, it appears that Hayes was already covering the conflict quite profusely – AND presenting it in a more balanced way, if not even more from Gaza’s point of view. Prior to last night, Both Greenwald and Jebreal had tweeted approvingly about Hayes’ coverage and views – some of which he articulated on air as early as 2012.

So Hayes had already been covering the situation quite adequately, and obviously, from the GAZA standpoint (otherwise GG wouldn’t be so approving). So it’s unclear why he was playing dumb (and pro-Israel) yesterday while talking to Jebreal, knowing fully well that they were already on the same page 100%. I guess it was all part of the game. RATFUCKERY From MSNBC! It appears that they tried to fool people and garner sympathy with this elaborate media stunt featuring a the poor contributor being “dis-invited” to future guest appearances for criticizing the media’s coverage of the Palestinian/Israel conflict. They did this to attract viewers and get ratings for Hayes show. And (as I suspect) to underhandedly get more people annoyed and upset with the Obama’s administration’s approach to dealing with the conflict. Thus they hope to kill two birds with one stone.

If you look down Jebreal and Greenwald’s respective Twitter TL’s, there is absolutely ZERO criticism or negative tweets about The GOP/Republicans. You would think they simply don’t exist. We already know that Greenwald harbors personal hate for our President and it’s evident just by a sampling of his daily tweeting. But Jebreal also retweets pro-Putin stuff from Katrina Nation, Jeremy Schahill, Dan Froomkin, and others. She even retweeted some crap from Greta Van Susteran (FOX NEWS).

I observed many PBO-supporters were very vocal on Twitter in their support of Jebreal yesterday and last night – but please know that at the end of the day Ms. Jebreal’s so-called criticism of the media is not what you think it is. She is not criticizing the media in general – she’s criticizing the MSNBC’s coverage of the Palestinian-Israel conflict WITH THE VIEW that the government, starting with Barack Obama, has a hand in that one-sided, pro-Israel coverage. And this has been my major concern about this all along. That this is actually another Libertarian movement seizing an opportunity to ratfuck gullible liberals and erode their support for this President under the guise of concern for a particular cause – a seemingly wholesome endeavor that everyone feels ready to latch on to. I’m just advocating for caution. There is a midterm election coming up, and there will be LOTS and LOTS of elablorate ratfucking stunts pulled by these Libertarians to defeat Dems and weaken our President. We need to be more vigilant than ever. We HAVE to be.

On a final note I will say that people who pull these kinds of stunts do NOT help their cause, because they eventually make it about them and their personal beef with particular politicians or governments. They care less about the people who are actually suffering and more about their media coronation and hype. Going forward I will not be retweeting anything from Rula Jebreal, nor will I be watching any show that she’s a guest on. I will assess the Gaza/Israel stuff as I always have – I can think for myself, and I don’t need to latch on to people’s propaganda machines to inform my assessment of a very complex situation.

• July 23, 2014 at 11:02 pm

hf, thanks so much for the background and your opinion on this. I don’t watch these shows but the way you’ve laid out the information, all your points certainly ring true. I’m going to be more cautious about Jebreal, for sure. Thanks again for gathering all this for us.

July 23, 2014 at 11:21 pm

I know little of Jebreal, but one of the few times I saw her on MSNBC, she looked as though she would take “any side” of any issue just to have her face on camera. That was perhaps an unfair first impression, but felt real to me.

• 82 99ts
      July 23, 2014 at 11:10 pm

Thanks for that hf – I am wary of ever being on the same side of an argument as gg – he is moved by 2 things – love of gg and hate of PBO. That he encouraged a US citizen to give up his family, his job and his life as it was & flee to Russia is all one needs to know about gg.

• 85 Layla
      July 23, 2014 at 11:35 pm

Wow HF, what a fabulous job!!!!! Someone should tweet Chris, her and MSNBC that we are on to their game..get people thinking (if that’s at all possible)

• 86 dotster3
      July 24, 2014 at 12:05 am

I may have missed it, hf, but I didn’t note anything she said other than her criticism of msnbc’s unbalanced reporting on the Israel/Gaza mess, specifically citing Andrea Mitchell and all the air time given to Bibi with very little to none given to any Palestinian spokespeople. I didn’t notice any hinted or stated inclusion of PBO or WH policies—–but I might have just missed it. I didn’t know anything about Rula until this recent eruption. Did some research—–she has a very impressive resume’, an accomplished life—–especially given she grew up in an orphanage. Interesting that she is married to a Jewish guy.

July 24, 2014 at 12:15 am

I wasn’t referring to what she said on the show last night. I’m talking about the broader circumstances of her guest appearance last night on MSNBC including events prior to yesterday – and all those involved. And I know exactly what I’m talking about.

I think her resume, as impressive as it may be, is not particularly relevant to the context of the issue I have raised here.

• 88 sjterrid
      July 24, 2014 at 12:14 am

Thank you, Hopefruit. I agree that we need to be cautious about the media’s Gaza/Israel coverage. We have to focus on the midterm elections to keep the Senate, and even try to win the house. It’s the only way we can move forward and make things better for everybody, not just the wealthy few at the top.

• July 24, 2014 at 12:17 am

Thank you HF2, for your in-depth analysis.

As a rule I steer clear of jumping on bandwagons that I know nothing about, and I have never heard of this woman, so was not about to defend her.

Another GG-enabled stunt. You’d think his BFFs in the media would have wised up by now, and put the Snowdenwald pieces together.

All those dudebros who cheered Snowdenwald on last year should be atoning for their support of an atrocious mass murderer.

Thanks again, O-mentor-in-chief!

• July 24, 2014 at 7:14 am

for your research and analysis…

as “We the People” become more sophisticated…so do the tricks and facades….of those trying to mislead and derail us..

#MovingForwardTogether!!

July 24, 2014 at 7:48 am

“I got suspicious by the turnaround…..esp seeing as there was no turn around for Bashir…”

EXACTLY pf58! This was actually one of the inconsistencies I noted as well.

• 93 Vicki
      July 24, 2014 at 8:44 am

At last! I hear what you are saying and will temper enthusiasm for any MSNBC contributor that implies criticism of PBO.
      I did not pick up on Rula doing that, but I sure will be alert if I see her again.

The larger point is that All Discussion must lead back to anti-PBO on TV, not just MSNBC, is certainly true.

I’ve written a lot about Gaza and in case anyone wonders here is how I see PBO’s role: POTUS is doing what he always does, wait for his moment, the right moment, to make his move.

In Afghanistan early on I figured the “Afghan Surge” was a strategic move to get us out of there by giving the RW and Military 30,000 troops to disarm their opposition to winding down the war. That worked beautifully.
      Now, President Obama states his defense of Israel’s right to defend itself, when what he is doing is deflecting a public battle. The FAA ban to protect Americans was one such moment.

July 24, 2014 at 9:05 am

Indeed Vicki.

But let me just say that I wouldn’t have expected Rula to say or imply anything negative towards PBO on that segment with Hayes – because the very people they were trying to fool were PBO supporters who watch MSNBC and who have been critical of the media (incl MSNBC) and the media’s nasty attitude towards PBO in general. Not surprisingly, they would be very careful to hide any overt or implied criticism towards PBO – because it would out their agenda immediately.

What they were trying to do was to put a face that people could/would trust on a seemingly wholesome cause, but with underlying nefarious, rabid anti-Obama intent. An accomplished, attractive darker-skinned female with an impressive resume (on the surface, the stark opposite of the stereotypical, neer-do well, grifting “dudebro”).

Thus instead of focusing on the specifics of what she said on Tuesday night, I looked at the circumstances of the entire set of events – days prior to her being “cancelled” and the 24 hr period after she was back on the Hayes’ show. I also took note of which parties seemed most interested/invested in her movements, and not surprisingly, the ones that turned up were the same culprits who support the Snowdens, the Putins – yes, the emo-Libertarian media contingent. I further checked her Twitter TL, and she seems to follow and interact with these types – retweeting a lot of their pro-Putin, anti-US crap.

• 95 Nena20409
      July 24, 2014 at 1:44 pm

I hear you. I would just add this. This RJ is a Palestinian. Her views here are understandable. She has expressed so for years on many shows especially on MSNBC. She has not changed on this issue. The Jewish guy that she is now married to helped her and he did a Documentary and that was before she earned a Contributorship position with MSNBC…..in 2008/2009/2010 or so.

I respect that she stood up to MSNBC as she knew it would cost her. It did. She may have GG and co as colleagues, I don’t know. I tend to make up my mind on what people say and do. In this particular issue about her criticism of MSNBC, she was 1001% correct. Now going forward, should she say or do something foolish, then, so should she be evaluated, chided or cheered.

July 24, 2014 at 7:28 pm

I was not criticizing her view on the Israel/Palestinian issue. My objection was to the dishonest, underhanded way in which Ms. Jebreal and her colleagues at MSNBC planned her appearance on the Hayes’ show, and the people she chooses to associate with in advancing her cause – people who are KNOWN for exploiting causes’ to advance their own narcissistic political agendas, and who are not about finding real or healthy solutions to complex problems.

July 24, 2014 at 7:37 pm

One more point – I honestly do not believe that there was any “standing up” to MSNBC on her part. As I showed you in my post, Chris Hayes was already 100% on the same page as her on that issue – despite his pretending otherwise during the segment. I will take it a step further to say that I do not believe that she was “uninvited” to future MSNBC appearances as she claimed –
        I believe that was all part of the stunt, because MSNBC doesn’t reverse it’s decisions to fire or disinvite guests based on emotional pleas.

That’s the kind of dishonesty that raises red flags in my mind. If you’re about a cause and you want attention, that kind of fakery is really unnecessary and it turns people away from your cause.

17. July 23, 2014 at 10:54 pm

July 23, 2014 at 10:57 pm

July 23, 2014 at 11:30 pm

Ha. Colonel Davis takes down the ____.

July 23, 2014 at 11:33 pm

July 24, 2014 at 12:02 am

July 24, 2014 at 12:13 am

23. 107 Dudette
    July 24, 2014 at 12:17 am

24. 108 Dudette
    July 24, 2014 at 12:17 am

25. 109 Dudette
    July 24, 2014 at 12:23 am

Squeeeee!

July 24, 2014 at 12:24 am

May have been posted before, but I’m just seeing this baby.

27. July 24, 2014 at 12:30 am

Here’s @latimes’ write-up on tonight’s fundraiser.

I notice that MSM pretty much ignore the fact that PBO is fundraising for OTHER people and doing so for as little as $1,000 person, which is a far cry from GOP relying on $100 million from the likes of the Kochs (who earned their money the old-fashioned way, they inherited it) and Adelson (gambling, such a noble entreprenuer [snark]).

Tomorrow’s event at the Technical College is one of the few events PBO has done here in LA that’s open to the public (outside of his Presidential campaign events). It’s gonna be a scorcher tomorrow, so hopefully they have good A/C.

28. 117 Dudette
    July 24, 2014 at 12:51 am

29. 118 Dudette
    July 24, 2014 at 12:51 am

30. 119 Dudette
    July 24, 2014 at 1:08 am

Some of the most beautiful music from My Thomas Newman (one of my soulmates & pretend husbands)

July 24, 2014 at 1:08 am

“GOTV like it’s 2008″ – Love that!

July 24, 2014 at 4:50 am

We also got those Tea Republicans and John Boehner as speaker running the House into the ground.

July 24, 2014 at 5:11 am

We have to come out to vote in November. I don’t want to hear anyone talk about how they are disappointed in President Obama. Over the four and a half years we have seen what these Tea Republicans stand for, and if in control they will do whatever they want and it will not be good for Americans or America.

32. 123 Dudette
    July 24, 2014 at 1:08 am

July 24, 2014 at 1:12 am

“Just Words?” Gov. Patrick sure has a way with ‘em! So glad he’s taking up this cause, because it’s so necessary for people in high offices to take a stand … the right stand.

• 125 Dudette
        July 24, 2014 at 1:43 am

Absolutely, JOB. He reminds us that we as a nation we should aspire to be our best selves. This is what makes a great nation. Like our PBO, Deval Patrick is the real deal.

33. 128 Dudette
    July 24, 2014 at 1:11 am

34. 131 Dudette
    July 24, 2014 at 1:16 am

35. 132 Dudette
    July 24, 2014 at 1:17 am

… and “The Man In The Iron Mask”

July 24, 2014 at 1:22 am

Go, Charlie!

• 134 99ts
      July 24, 2014 at 4:34 am

“Rick Scott’s inability to build a lead against Crist is a sign of weak incumbent. Governor Scott’s best hope for reelection has been his plan to spend $100 million on his campaign. Scott is following the Mitt Romney model. He has been relying on a pro-Scott committee named Let’s Get To Work to spend millions on his behalf. Let’s Get To Work has spent $18.8 million since March, and $1.4 million on media buys from July 5-July 11.”

Quote from your link

37. 135 Dudette
    July 24, 2014 at 1:44 am

38. 136 Dudette
    July 24, 2014 at 1:54 am

39. 137 Dudette
    July 24, 2014 at 1:57 am

“You are very amiable, no doubt, but you would be charming if you would only depart.”
    ― Alexandre Dumas, The Three Musketeers

—————–

My turn to be charming! Good Night and Good Morning! :-)

• July 24, 2014 at 6:51 am

Good morning!
      Ms. Dudette it is an honor and a pleasure to wake up to all of these prolific tweets and soothing music.
      Yesterday was a tough day for you as well as others here, including myself.
      I am so glad you waited and hoped.
      I am the beneficiary of your long suffering this morning.
      Thank You.
      Good morning Ms. Chips!
      See you later for a glorious Rise&Shine.

40. July 24, 2014 at 2:09 am

Ponder ….

good night TOD

#LandslideDEMS2014

#OWNthe114th

Yes WE MUST

41. 141 99ts
    July 24, 2014 at 5:56 am

Watching Rachel online – how US prisons tried to get drugs when the manufacturers did not want to use them for killing people. This is what now happens

“human medical experimentation on live prisoners”

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show item labeled
    Witnesses describe two hour ‘gasping’ execution

42. July 24, 2014 at 6:57 am

Good morning 99ts,
    I understand how you feel that is why I have to walk early in the morning to stay calm, balanced, peaceful and prayerful.
    Humans, right? Sometimes it makes you wonder.

43. 144 dotster3
    July 24, 2014 at 7:16 am

Can’t believe there’s news of another missing plane—-lost contact with Algerian flight over W. Africa—-110 aboard.

RSS OFA