Jul

Rise and Shine

On This Day: President Obama signs books and photos at a fundraiser in Chicago, Illinois on July 23, 2009 (Photo by Pete Souza)

• • •

Today (all times Pacific)

9:20: Attends a fundraiser for House Democrats; Four Seasons, San Francisco

12:0: Attends a second fundraiser for House Democrats, private residence, Los Altos Hills, California

1:20: Departs San Fransisco

2:30: Arrives Los Angeles

4:55: Attends a DNC fundraiser, private residence, Los Angeles

The Week Ahead here

I thought of Andie’s tweet from yesterday when I read:

Charles Pierce on yesterday’s ACA Rulings:

….. Millions of our fellow citizens have spent the last several months with a great weight lifted from their shoulders. Every ache and sudden twinge no longer felt like it could be the first step toward personal ruin. They have been able to look at their sleeping children without a familiar knot in their guts. They have been able to pursue happiness, like all of us have a right to do so, without feeling like they’re running in leg shackles.

All of these people have been tossed into uncertainty – again – because their government has been rendered dysfunctional by a political philosophy of nihilistic vandalism…

Simply put, there is almost an entire half of our political system that believes that a great number of Americans simply do not matter enough to make it economically feasible to help them stay healthy. They do not count. It does not matter how many of them die preventable deaths….

… This half of the system includes prospective presidents, members of Congress, think-tank geniuses, pundits, and a lot of other people who generally have one thing in common – most of them have wonderful health care coverage either because they have really good jobs, or they’re wealthy enough to afford it, or both. These are the health care chickenhawks. And we held them to a split decision today, and maybe that’s enough for the moment.

Full post here

How excellent is this? Allan is now writing for TPV:

Allan Brauer (The People’s View): Obamacare: Still Not Dead Yet

Editor’s welcome note: Hello TPV community, please welcome our newest contributor, Allan Brauer. Most of you probably already know Allan from his prolific Tweets as well as from his contribution to the Angry Black Lady Chronicles (ABLC). It is an absolute honor for me to have Allan make TPV his new blogging home! – Spandan
Obamacare is dead!

“I’m not dead yet!”

Three court rulings have come down this week in three separate legal challenges to various aspects of the Affordable Care Act, aka Obamacare. One, the case of Halbig v. Burwell, is being trumpeted loudly across the media as a death blow to Obamacare, especially by those sites with a rightward bent and/or those whose business model involves screaming headlines as click-bait.

More here

Steve Benen: The Speaker, the ACA, and the ‘Be Careful What You Wish For’ Adage

The closer one looks at the D.C. Circuit’s ruling yesterday on ACA subsidies, the harder it is to defend. Two conservative jurists not only want to destroy the health care system over an out-of-context drafting error, they also based their reasoning on a farcical foundation. Scott Lemieux explained that the far-right judges effectively said Congress consciously decided to give states veto power over the law’s implementation.

Why would the ACA’s architects do that? They wouldn’t – and they didn’t. The argument is a sham, which is why so many are so confident that yesterday’s truly absurd decision simply cannot stand.

But while the legal process plays out, there’s a political angle worth watching. After the Halbig v. Burwell decision came down, House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) said in a statement that the ruling proves that the Affordable Care Act is “completely unworkable” and “cannot be fixed.”

As it happens, it’s funny that Boehner would use those particular words.

More here

Margaret and Helen: Jesus Loves the Legal Little Children

Margaret, our good Christian Governor down here in Texas, Rick Perry, said he would use his executive authority to activate up to 1,000 National Guard troops to help secure the Texas border region against “criminal aliens.” Criminal Aliens being Spanish for children, I think. My Spanish isn’t so good so you might want to look that up. These are children who were not aborted so Texas just doesn’t have room for them… or compassion. In Spanish I believe the word for compassion is… well I’m not sure what it is but I am sure that good Christian Perry knows.

More here

• • •

BBC: UN’s Navi Pillay warns of Israel Gaza ‘war crimes’

The UN’s top human rights official has condemned Israel’s military actions in the Gaza Strip, saying that war crimes may have been committed.

Navi Pillay told an emergency debate at the UN Human Rights Council in Geneva that Israel’s military offensive had not done enough to protect civilians.

She also condemned Hamas for “indiscriminate attacks” on Israel.

Israel launched its offensive on 8 July with the declared objective of stopping rocket fire from Gaza.

“There seems to be a strong possibility that international law has been violated, in a manner that could amount to war crimes,” Ms Pillay said.

More here

• • •

WH.gov: President Obama to Award 2013 National Medal of Arts and National Humanities Medal

On Monday afternoon, July 28, 2014, President Obama will award the 2013 National Medal of Arts and the National Humanities Medal to distinguished recipients in the East Room. The First Lady will also attend.

…. the President will deliver remarks and present the awards to the following individuals and organizations:

2013 National Medal of Arts

Julia Alvarez, Novelist, Poet, and Essayist, Weybridge, VT
Brooklyn Academy of Music, Presenter, Brooklyn, NY
Joan Harris, Arts Patron, Chicago, IL
Bill T. Jones, Dancer and Choreographer, Valley Cottage, NY
John Kander, Musical Theater Composer, New York, NY
Jeffrey Katzenberg, Director and CEO of DreamWorks, Beverly Hills, CA
Maxine Hong Kingston, Writer, Oakland, CA
Albert Maysles, Documentary Filmmaker, New York, NY
Linda Ronstadt, Musician, San Francisco, CA
Billie Tsien and Tod Williams (receiving individual medals), Architects, New York, NY
James Turrell, Visual Artist, Flagstaff, AZ

2013 National Humanities Medal

M.H. Abrams, Literary Critic, Ithaca, NY
David Brion Davis, Historian, Orange, CT
Darlene Clark Hine, Historian, Chicago, IL
Anne Firor Scott, Historian, Chapel Hill, NC
William Theodore De Bary, East Asian studies scholar, Tappan, NY
Johnpaul Jones, Architect, Bainbridge, WA
Stanley Nelson, Filmmaker, New York, NY
Diane Rehm, Radio Host, Washington, D.C.
Krista Tippett, Radio Host, St. Paul, MN
American Antiquarian Society, Historical Organization, Worcester, MA

More here

On This Day

Senator Obama visits the Western Wall in Jerusalem, Israel, July 23, 2008

• • •

President Obama signs a photo after a fundraiser in Chicago, Illinois on July 23, 2009 (Photo by Pete Souza)

President Obama listens to an overview about the Cleveland Clinic in Cleveland, Ohio on July 23, 2009 (Photo by Pete Souza)

President Obama waits backstage to be introduced at a health care town hall meeting at Shaker Heights High School in Cleveland, Ohio on July 23, 2009 (Photo by Pete Souza)

Audience members listen as President Obama speaks at a town hall meeting at Shaker Heights High School in Cleveland, Ohio, on July 23, 2009 (Photo by Samantha Appleton)

President Obama conducts a town hall meeting at Shaker Heights High School in Cleveland, Ohio on July 23, 2009 (Photo by Samantha Appleton)

A supporter looks on as President Obama speaks at a fundraising reception at the Hyatt Regency in Chicago, Ill. on July 23, 2009 (Photo by Pete Souza)

President Obama answers questions during a health care town hall meeting at Shaker Heights High School in Cleveland, Ohio, July 23, 2009 (Photo by Samantha Appleton)

• • •

First Lady Michelle Obama christens the USCGC Stratton with a bottle of champagne, during a ceremony at the Port of Pascagoula, in Pascagoula, Miss., July 23, 2010 (Photo by Samantha Appleton)

President Obama talks with members of the Girls National American Legion in the East Room of the White House, July 23, 2010 (Photo by Pete Souza)

• • •

President Obama waves a Louisville Slugger baseball bat presented to him by the Louisville Cardinals, the 2013 NCAA Men’s Basketball Champions, during an event in the East Room of the White House July 23, 2013

First Lady Michelle Obama visits Sterling Farms Grocery Store in Marrero, Louisiana, July 23, 2013

… with Wendell Pierce

First Lady Michelle Obama greets audience members after delivering remarks at the National Council of La Raza (NCLR) annual conference in New Orleans, Louisiana, July 23, 2013 (Photo by Chuck Kennedy)

• • •

109 Responses to “Rise and Shine”

1. 15 Dudette
    July 23, 2014 at 10:09 am

Mooooorning! :-)

2. 16 Dudette
    July 23, 2014 at 10:11 am

:-D

3. 17 Dudette
    July 23, 2014 at 10:13 am

4. 18 Dudette
    July 23, 2014 at 10:15 am

5. July 23, 2014 at 10:16 am

Good gaaaaaaawd, I freaked when I saw this!!

• 24 Dudette
      July 23, 2014 at 10:19 am

Yikes!

Hmm, it seems I might have a chance of qualifying to work at the AP afterall, since they don’t care that much about editing skills.

July 23, 2014 at 10:23 am

Scroll down to see the importance of commas! My kids at school LOVE this book:)

July 23, 2014 at 10:25 am

Not gonna let you scroll anything, I guess! Google it and look…hilarious

• July 23, 2014 at 10:26 am

:-) I’ve been meaning to read that book forever, I think I will now!

Left love and good wishes for you Desertflower on the last thread, thinking of you.

July 23, 2014 at 10:56 am

You SHOULD read it! Short and to the point…by the time you’re done reading you’ll understand why that comma is SO important:)

You folks are amazing and wonderful. We really are a family here that cares about each other in good times and tough times and I love you all for that. To thank each of you individually would take all day, so I’ll just give you all my thanks and hugs here…been a tough week, but, we all have those. I have a home and I don’t have to worry every day and night that a bomb might drop on me and my family. I can leave my home safely. I have water and electricity…24/7. I’m free to do a job that I love to do. I am not persecuted for my religion or lack of one.

I miss my mom and my incredible gentle giant, Simi. I’ll miss them everyday until I’m gone from this earth. The house is eerily quiet today and I have so much more space…she had her stuff all over the place..big beds everywhere…so she could be with the family wherever we were….no the space where they used to be , just makes the house echo. I need a rug there, or something, I thought to myself this morning. The vet that came to put her down yesterday asked me if I would like to have a paw print from her…I burst out crying because moments before, as I sat waiting for them to come for her, I kicked myself for NOT having the foresight to have something like this at the ready. I looked online and all I saw were plasters that I had to cook first, then cool. I had no time nor inclination for all that! So when they asked me if I’d like a paw print of her in remembrance, well…I was so happy and touched.

For my mom…If I still lived in CT at the shore, I would be down at the jetty at our beach, with a bundle of daisies for her. I loved to do that…just go down and talk to her there. But, no shore in AZ! So I pretty much just know that she’s here with me and I talk to her and I hear her voice and see her smile and feel her extraordinary presence around me…all the time. So, its ok…I celebrate her life and don’t dwell so much on the fact that she’s not here. I’d really love it, though, if those that are reading this, would just kiss and hug your parents…tell them how much you love them and how much they mean to you. Life happens quickly and we all need to live a life with no regrets. You will put a smile on their face and that’s what it’s all about.

I have my kiddos to tutor today. I can hardly wait. It’s where I should be…doing good and taking my mind off things…then I may just go get a pedicure. :) Seriously. Love you all. truly I do. I’ll be ok. Time is a wonderful healer. Put this on the last thread..but quick draw had a new thread up already…. This is for my mom, my dear Sims, and all my TOD family. Hugs.

• July 23, 2014 at 11:00 am

Desertflower, as I said earlier, I wish I could reach in and hug you, yours words and memories of your Mom and Sims brought tears to my eyes. You are a beautiful soul, so so so beautiful, your words are to be cherished. We all love you, and are thinking of you as you deal with this pain. Look after yourself, our cherished friend.

• July 23, 2014 at 11:01 am

df, you are the best, a really wonderful woman who lives fully and passionately. I send you my appreciation for the insight and depth of compassion you bring here. And a very big hug for this heartbreak you feel now. We love you.

• 32 japa21
            July 23, 2014 at 11:09 am

Know my thoughts are with you.

• 33 Dudette
            July 23, 2014 at 11:16 am

My heart aches for you, sweet desertflower. Know that we love you and we are here for you.

• 34 No Child Left Behind
            July 23, 2014 at 11:26 am

DesertFlower, Thanks for sharing your personal story and feelings. There is an echo in me for most of what you’ve expressed. Indeed, life happens. It comes and goes fast and leaves us only with the memories. Stay well and stay strong. Cherish the memories without shame or guilt.

• 35 kathleenp444
            July 23, 2014 at 11:30 am

oh df, you’re breaking and healing my heart at the same time. take care of yours <3

• July 23, 2014 at 12:14 pm

reading and feeling yours word brought tears to my eyes….i pray for you to be comforted…and i will indeed talk to my mom today….because as you say…life happens quickly

• 38 Dakota
            July 23, 2014 at 12:59 pm

Thoughts are with you today desertflower.

• July 23, 2014 at 10:30 am

I don’t think it’s about a comma. They should have just used “arrives”.

• 41 99ts
      July 23, 2014 at 10:38 am

“abuse by neglect is still abuse”

As per the grandbabe

“let’s eat grandpa” or “let’s eat, grandpa”

6. 43 Linda
    July 23, 2014 at 10:18 am

GM

Katrina vanden Hateful was just on Al Jezeera Amreica blaming the Ukraine Government for the plane being shot down … She and her husband need to move to Russia.

• 44 57andfemale
      July 23, 2014 at 4:24 pm

They are completely deranged on this subject. I used to be proud to subscribe to the Nation, but I had to cancel, when they started the Obama bashing.

They kept sending me emails to get money and subscriptions from me. The final straw was when PBO came out in favor of marriage equality and they WHINED: “not soon enough, not good enough,” blah blah blah.

I sent them a scathing email and they finally stopped begging me for money.

One of the most revered publications in progressive history, and Katrina and Steve go off to their mansion in the Hamptons to lecture the rest of us. They don’t give a damn if we make progress in this country (or undo the damage), they want their whiny way. Awful.

7. 45 Dudette
    July 23, 2014 at 10:20 am

Happy Hump Day! See ya later!

8. 46 Linda
    July 23, 2014 at 10:25 am

CNN’s Blitzer says they have a camera crew and reporter at the airport in Tel Aviv waiting for Michael Bloomberg’s arrival.

Ugh !

9. July 23, 2014 at 10:28 am

Heartbreaking.

10. 50 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    July 23, 2014 at 10:36 am

Good morning, TOD. Wishing you all a day filled with joy!

11. 52 Dudette
    July 23, 2014 at 10:39 am

• 53 99ts
      July 23, 2014 at 10:48 am

Came back to give a quote from that link Dudette

“Poll crosstabs give Deal a nine-point advantage with male voters, but find women support Carter by a nearly 2-to-1 margin. Carter also has the edge among black voters and those under 40. Interestingly, independents – who tend to lean to the right – are split between the two.”

Women support the democrat 2:1 – and if that is spread across the country!! It seems word of the GOP’s war on women may be spreading.

12. 55 Cindy
    July 23, 2014 at 10:43 am

Morning to you desertflower,

Your post on Early Bird Chat is so heartwarming. So glad to see you this morning.

This is so “BEAUTIFUL”, and I am so happy that you felt our love, and prayers sent your way.

Love Bill, classic indeed.

Nothing but love and hugs for you. Please take good care of yourself today {{{{{{desertflower}}}}}}}}
    Warmest Blessings,

13. 57 99ts
    July 23, 2014 at 10:44 am

gnite everyone – may your day be full of summer fruits, loving family and happy memories

14. 61 Nerdy Wonka
    July 23, 2014 at 10:50 am

Great Rise and Shine, Chips.

You guys have got to go to Jamelle Bouie’s Twitter feed, click on tweets and replies, click on the tweets and read his conversation between himself and Josh Kraushaar. Sooooooo good!

Kraushaar is such a GOP shill and Bouie calls him out for his bad predictions of GOP winning and Democrats losing and Kraushaar becomes huffy.

Apparently he doesn’t like being called out on his lies and crappy journalistic skills. Imagine that.

15. 63 Nerdy Wonka
    July 23, 2014 at 10:55 am

16. 64 No Child Left Behind
    July 23, 2014 at 11:06 am

Random.

He is the son of a friend. Music for a very good morning.

• 65 Dudette
      July 23, 2014 at 11:25 am

Beautiful!

• 66 No Child Left Behind
        July 23, 2014 at 11:34 am

Dudette, Thanks. How to post like you and Chips is something my poor brain has yet to understand, let alone master!

• 67 Dudette
          July 23, 2014 at 11:52 am

Aw, it’s a breeze, NCLB.

Here’s what I do. Others might have another method:

1. At the bottom right corner of the video, you see a YouTube logo (when you hover your mouse over it, a label says “Watch on YouTube”).
          2. Click on that logo, it’ll open up the YouTube application to the page for your video.
          3. Below the video you see About section (the description written by whoever uploaded the video) and Comments beneath that.
          4. Right beside the About label, you’ll see a “Share” link.
          5. Click on Share and it’ll open up a little box with the URL for embedding the video.
          6. Copy THAT URL and paste it here.

Voila!

It’s different if you’re pasting from your smartphone though:
          1. When viewing a YouTube video on your phone, you’ve gotta look for a symbol that looks kinda like this “<" (in upper right corner of the video while it's playing; must be playing it from the YouTube app)
          2. Click on that symbol and it'll open up the available share options. One of them should be "Copy link".
          3. Click on that.
          4. Then come here and paste.

Voila again!

• 68 SUE DUVALL SMITH
        July 23, 2014 at 11:35 am

THANK YOU FOR THE RESPIT THIS MORNING…I HAVE BEEN BATTLING TEAPARTY FOOLS ALL MORNING….PEACE OUT…MAY GOD DEEPLY BLESS THE BEAR ON THE LOOSE WITH THE SMOKIN’ SHOES!

• 69 MightyPamela
        July 23, 2014 at 3:27 pm

We witness so much tremendous joy and hope in the Human Spirit. Here is our true purpose, to lift up, to embrace, to share the fullness of Heart we are each capable of Living.

• 70 Dudette
      July 23, 2014 at 11:39 am

Didn’t tweet the other link because the video is “unlisted” on YouTube, but THIS right here…

DELIGHTFUL, DELECTABLE, DELICIOUS! :-)

Thanks for introducing us to him NCLB!

• 71 No Child Left Behind
        July 23, 2014 at 12:23 pm

You’re welcome, Dudette. Both father and son play the viola but the son seems to outdo his father. Glad you’ve enjoyed it as I did. Music is what helps through difficult times.

17. July 23, 2014 at 11:07 am

18. July 23, 2014 at 11:08 am

Joe is out and about!

19. 83 Linda
    July 23, 2014 at 11:19 am

Cloture vote going on to advance Bill for tax credits to business for ” Insourcing ”

So far 3 NO votes. Ron Johnson voted NO

20. 84 Vicki
    July 23, 2014 at 11:20 am

I am awaiting the FAA ruling on flights to/from Israel. Individual carriers still get to decide for themselves.

Israel FINALLY realizes that it cannot bomb Gaza back into the dark ages without incurring some costs itself.
    So it is howling whining begging the world not to harm Israeli travel business at the height of the tourist season.

Plus, in the previous wars very few Israeli citizens were harmed and in the previous month-long conflict 6 Israeli military lost their lives.
    So far, in 2014 war at least 30 israeli soldiers have died.

While I regret every death in Israel and Palestine I think that the pain being borne by both groups of people rather than only one-sided bodes well for an increase in the chances for a cease-fire.

21. 90 Dudette
    July 23, 2014 at 11:20 am

22. 91 Linda
    July 23, 2014 at 11:23 am

Rand Paul just voted NO on bill for ” Insourcing ” tax credits. So did Mike Lee

23. July 23, 2014 at 11:28 am

24. July 23, 2014 at 11:31 am

Rest in Peace.

25. 98 Dudette
    July 23, 2014 at 11:33 am

Need a few chuckles? https://twitter.com/hashtag/OverheardInTheGOPCloakroom?src=hash

I like hers especially: https://twitter.com/TheoloGOP

Some good candidates there for the next “Tweet or Two” post.

26. 99 Linda
    July 23, 2014 at 11:34 am

Voice votes are happening on Nominees. 3 confirmed at 100-0.

27. 100 anniebella
    July 23, 2014 at 11:34 am

I wonder if Malia Obama is still in L.A.? If so, POTUS might stop by to see her when he get to LA..

28. July 23, 2014 at 11:36 am

Oh dear, we don’t need an escalation of the Ukraine-Russia conflict.

29. 105 yardarm756