Jul

Thanks To ObamaCare, Seeing A Doctor Is No Longer A Luxury

Supreme Court Upholds Obama's Affordable Care Act

Claire Bolderson: Obamacare In Kentucky

“I am so happy,” says Sizemore as she waits at the Grace Community Health Centre in Clay County, Kentucky, “I’ve not had insurance since I turned 19.” But Sizemore is also nervous. She is seriously overweight and was warned in her teens that she was likely to develop diabetes. Without health insurance she has not been able to afford tests or check-ups to see if she has indeed got the disease.  Sizemore is one of 421,000 people in Kentucky who’ve signed up since the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, widely known as Obamacare, came into force last October. Like many, she now qualifies for Medicaid, the government programme that pays for health care for the poorest Americans. Under the new law, the federal government offers states money to expand Medicaid so that many more people on very low wages, like Liberty Sizemore, are covered. Benita Adams may be one of the people the Governor has in mind. The 62-year-old grandmother lives on the edge of the rolling Appalachian Mountains in eastern Kentucky. She owns her home but works two jobs as a dental assistant to make ends meet.

BrEmZVjCUAAjzYu.png-large

Adams has had no health insurance since her divorce 30 years ago. A recent heart operation left her with a $67,000 bill. Although the hospital waived around half of that, she still pays $50 a month to clear the rest. “I used to say, if I get hurt just let me be killed because I can’t afford to pay any more hospital bills,” she says. But Adams no longer has to worry. Under Obamacare, she qualifies for a private insurance plan with a hefty government subsidy that covers the monthly payments in full. “Everyone was mad over Obamacare but it’s just wonderful, it’s really helping people,” Adams says as she lists the medical appointments she has been to since getting insured. Liberty Sizemore, waiting for her blood test results at the Grace Community Health Centre, feels the same. “I was so worried,” she says. “But now I can get better because I have a doctor. I have a doctor and that’s a relief off my shoulders, more than you can know.”

More here

BsnQgFyCMAECytB.png-large

122 Responses to “Thanks To ObamaCare, Seeing A Doctor Is No Longer A Luxury”

1. July 23, 2014 at 5:05 pm

Hello ! Just for the fun of being first… maybe ??

2. 5 GGail
    July 23, 2014 at 5:08 pm

Congrats LP2008 on being First!

Everytime I see this pic with the girl in the grey 2012 OFA t-shirt, I want to run and put mine on too!! :-)

3. 11 Linda
    July 23, 2014 at 5:12 pm

A woman was arrested after she allegedly pulled out a gun when asked to slow down in a Rutherford County, Tenn. Wal-Mart parking lot, according to WGNS News.

Angela Scruggs told police that after a man in the parking lot told her to “stop speeding,” she put her .22 caliber handgun on her lap. She said that the man who yelled for her to slow down approached her with his hands in his pocket, prompting her to get her gun.

Scruggs was pulled over by police soon after she left the parking lot.

Jason Hill called the police, and said that when he asked Scruggs to “slow down,” she pointed her gun at him. When he told Scruggs he would call the police, she responded, “I don’t care, I got a carry permit.”

A witness told police that Scruggs told Hill she would shoot him, according to WGNS.

Scruggs was charged with aggravated assault.

4. July 23, 2014 at 5:13 pm

This guy is something else….

Take a moment to read this mom’s heartfelt thoughts:

5. 17 yardarm756
    July 23, 2014 at 5:13 pm

I love the banner but the “other side” is still working hard to shit can it! :-(

6. July 23, 2014 at 5:17 pm

Congrats on first *LP*2008……..does this mean I get to share in your glory :)

Never paid attention to this fool these past years, but it looks like his ego is requiring him to “enter back into the conversation” via DC->NYC media

• July 23, 2014 at 5:34 pm

Sound the alarm……cue congress critters running to microphones unconcerned about U.S. passenger safety:

• 20 EricFive
        July 23, 2014 at 6:03 pm

They may well do so (they are all bought and paid for afterall) but it will be a difficult argument to make and will likely lead to the revelation of how shallow the U.S. people’s support for Israel truly is. The media and AIPAC/Congress work hard to create and maintain the illusion, but this selfish tantrum by Israel fretting over lost tourist revenues and showing disregard for the safety of the American people, is a public relations disaster, regardless of what the media tells you. Add to that the genocide Israel is currently engaging in, and it is difficult to feel the slightest bit of sympathy for Israel.

7. July 23, 2014 at 5:19 pm

So when the NYT hired former National Review & Politico hack Jonathan Martin (wife was Meet the Press producer/ David Gregory’s boss) it was for the purpose of having RWGOP groups leak oppo, and get it published in the Grey Lady. Well done..They just won a senate seat in Montana.

8. July 23, 2014 at 5:24 pm

9. July 23, 2014 at 5:25 pm

…Also critically, Mr. Maliki’s bid to stay in office has, say prominent Shiite politicians, run into opposition from Iraq’s top Shiite spiritual authority, Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani, who has become central to the grinding talks between political blocs to form a government. The process, a complicated task of political jockeying that took months the last time around, was given new urgency by the Sunni militant campaign launched last month that has swallowed parts of Iraq and brought the country to the brink of disintegration. Ayatollah Sistani took the unusual step of sending a letter directly to Mr. Maliki’s office last week that made clear the cleric’s opposition to a third term, a message also made clear to the visiting Iranian officials, said three Iraqi politicians involved in the talks. Mr. Sistani’s letter was a sign that he believes the prime minister has become divisive even within his own Shiite support base and is unable to lead the country out of the latest crisis, several Shiite politicians said….

…Regional and Western powers hope that a more conciliatory government in Baghdad would hold Iraq together and push back the threat from Sunni radical militants. Many former supporters of Mr. Maliki, including the Obama administration, say that is no longer possible under his leadership. ****Influential Sunni factions now supporting the militant group, which calls itself Islamic State, say they would turn against the insurgency if Mr. Maliki steps aside and Sunnis are reintegrated into Iraq’s political order****….

While nobody was looking……… #TurstBarack

10. July 23, 2014 at 5:30 pm

O/T but the NFL season is upon us… GO COLTS!!!

ANDERSON, Ind. — The revving of the engine could be heard well into the distance. Indianapolis Colts coaches and players lined up with their phones ready to snap pictures, as they knew veteran receiver Reggie Wayne was ready to make his customary grand entrance to training camp at Anderson University.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

And in typical fashion, Wayne didn’t disappoint, reporting to training camp Wednesday morning in an Indy car driven by professional driver Ed Carpenter. “I want one of these,” Wayne said after climbing out of the back seat of the car. “I enjoyed every little bit of that. It was fun. I’m a guy that likes speed, which is one way to get that speed in me.” Wayne, whose 2013 season ended with a torn ACL in Week 7, said he’s been cleared to take part in training camp. “I’ve been cleared, yes I have, I’m ready to go. Hopefully if things stay the course, I’ll be out there [Thursday for the first day of training camp practice].” Wayne has a history of making his arrival known at camp. He arrived in a helicopter last year, and he has also shown up in a dump truck, military convoy and even in a bus that was full of kids.

11. July 23, 2014 at 5:35 pm

It appears the Euromaidan report of Putin calling a session of the Duma for tomorrow has been shown to be inaccurate.

12. 27 JER
    July 23, 2014 at 5:37 pm

LIVE NOW: President Obama arrives in Los Angeles – http://www.cbsnews.com/liveFeed/widget.shtml

• 28 SUE DUVALL SMITH
      July 23, 2014 at 6:08 pm

SAW THE SLIDES OF THE HOUSE PBO IS BUYING IN PALM SPRINGS…NICE….I WILL BE HAPPY THE DAY HE LEAVES THE WHITEHOUSE PRISON….HE CERTAINLY DESERVES ALOT BETTER…YOU GO PBO!

• 29 COS
        July 23, 2014 at 6:28 pm

I did not realize that it had been confirmed that the Obamas are actually buying this home.

• 30 nospin
          July 23, 2014 at 6:41 pm

it was not. in fact the administration said it was false.

• 31 SUE DUVALL SMITH
            July 23, 2014 at 10:31 pm

IT’S AN AMAZING PLACE…HOPE THEY CHANGE THEIR MINDS….I LOOK FORWARD TO THE DAY WHEN PBO CAN HAVE A TIE BURNING PARTY…HE CAN REPLACE THEM WITH GOLF CLUBS!…ALTHOUGH IF I WERE THE ‘O’ FAMILY…I WOULD BE LOOKING AT THE ALOHA POSSIBILITIES.

• 33 EricFive
      July 23, 2014 at 6:13 pm

So long as the life of a Black person is viewed as less valuable than that of a White person, there will never be a “post racial” society. This racist mindset has been a fact of life in this country since its founding. It is the foundation upon which the institution of slavery grew and metastasized in this country for centuries. It is the cause of the racist tantrum this country is experiencing today.

• 34 yardarm756
        July 23, 2014 at 6:16 pm

Ya think?

• 35 EricFive
          July 23, 2014 at 6:24 pm

Comment not so much for you Yardarm, but for the multitude of folks who really don’t “get it”. Some equate absence of KKK rallies and police dogs attacking Black marchers with the existence of a “post racial” society.

• 36 yardarm756
            July 23, 2014 at 6:28 pm

Oh. I hear ya. Big time. ^5

• 37 Cindy
            July 23, 2014 at 6:55 pm

Well stated EricFive,

“They” swore that we had entered “post racism” when the first black president was elected.

From where I’m sitting, racism is running wild with our first black president being elected. It (racism) has always been there, disguised and packaged differently over the years, that is, until Senator Obama became President Barack H. Obama.

Now, no one tries to hide it anymore. Listen to what they say on live radio and TV. Racism is alive and well; just as ugly as it was years ago, and it can’t be swept under the rug anymore, because it sits on top now.

• 38 99ts
              July 23, 2014 at 8:29 pm

Hi Cindy – seems that racism just came to the surface with the election of PBO. “They” are not racist as long as “they” are in charge. I was so impressed that he was elected and 6 years later am still reeling as to how he is treated by the media, the GOP and the bigots.

13. 39 donna dem 4 obama
    July 23, 2014 at 5:53 pm

14. July 23, 2014 at 6:00 pm

15. July 23, 2014 at 6:00 pm

Today I learned that one of my friends had been hospitalized last night. She went to the ER complaining of chest pain when she breathed. After examination they sent her home, but called back later that night and told her to come back to the hospital quickly – she had a blood clot on her lung. (I think that’s kind of weird – why did they send her home so fast, and then get a second opinion? But that’s not my point.) It made me think of how lucky she was that we have really good health insurance. We have given up wage increases and other benefits over the years to keep it. I imagined feeling those chest pains and debating whether I should go to the ER because I might not be able to pay. Or staying home and ignoring them because it would mean not being able to pay other bills, or not going back because it might wreck my family economically. And not waking up the next morning because the clot had traveled from my lungs to me heart. Who can imagine that completely plausible scenario and not see the importance of the ACA? Who can want to wreck this law that means basic safety and well-being to fellow citizens. After four years of hatred for this law, this attitude is still beyond my comprehension.

• 42 TrumpDog
      July 23, 2014 at 7:15 pm

Their hatred of Obama overrides the concern for people that don’t have easy access to health insurance.If Bush had pushed and signed the ACA into law they’d have dipped him in gold and placed a platinum halo on top of his head.

Hope your friend is doing well.

16. 44 Linda
    July 23, 2014 at 6:22 pm

A Nashville, Tenn. woman was charged with aggravated assault on Tuesday after waving a gun at a Kroger grocery store employee and threatening to kill her, according to WKRN-TV.

Amy Jaudon got into a verbal disagreement with a the employee, who was working at the store’s Western Union counter.

Jaudon started calling the employee vulgar names when she brought out her manager, according to a police affidavit obtained by WKRN. Jaudon then slapped the employee.

The employee then threw Jaudon on the ground.

Jaudon threatened to kill the employee and said she had a gun. She then left the store and retrieved her gun.

Jaudon waved the gun and again threatened to kill the employee, according to WKRN.

Kroger spokeswoman Melissa Eads told WKRN that the store would be reviewing the incident.

“We are doing an internal review of the incident and cooperating fully with the police investigation. We are thankful that no one was hurt,” she said.

July 23, 2014 at 6:30 pm

Hi brethren and sistren! Greetings from the land of #Icantwaittogetmylaptopback. :grin:

1st commenter at Booman Tribune ‘s post re FAA & no-fly to Israel http://www.boomantribune.com/story/2014/7/23/131458/319

That 24-hour extension is curious with Bloomberg suddenly deciding to grandstand. Wonder what messages from the White House Mikey might be carrying. And how long Bibi has to comply.

Bibi has outright campaigned with Obama’s opponent in a Presidential election. Funny things happen politically to members of Congress who have done that. Or with generals who play the wrong sort of politics.

And as your comment says, the Iron Dome funding supplemental is in Congress attached to an immigration bill. There is a carrot yet to be delivered.

Obama is in a position relative to Bibi of getting some progress. It depends on how much pain Bibi is capable of tolerating and how subtly the Obama administration can put the screws to Bibi for past double-dealing.

The heroic romantic settler mythology about Israel in the era of kibbutzim is dead. We are looking in the Knesset at attitudes reminiscent of George Armstrong Custer. Even US Jews are breaking against this massacre.

50 states, 210 media markets, 435 Congressional Districts, 3080 counties, 192,480 precincts
    by TarheelDem on Wed Jul 23rd, 2014 at 01:53:15 PM EST

18. 72 Nena20409
    July 23, 2014 at 6:31 pm

Well, Who didn’t see this coming. MSNBC is Lying by saying that her Conributorship job ended last Month. C’mon, be Brave MSNBC. You may terminate anyone as you like. Just don’t insult Us or Lie about it. That is Low.

• 73 dotster3
      July 23, 2014 at 6:45 pm

I think I know what she did—–she dared to speak a truth which no one is allowed to expose in this country.

19. 74 Nena20409
    July 23, 2014 at 6:36 pm

US Media is afraid of dealing truly with the Arab/Israeli conflict honestly. They are cowardly in dealing with Voter Suppression, Climate Change, Taxation, Racism, Income Inequality, Media Bias, etc, etc, etc.

But Gossip and Bashing Pres Obama and the Dems, The Media will salute and cheer.

20. 79 Nena20409
    July 23, 2014 at 6:46 pm

I don’t also agree with JS. On this topic, some of his points are spot on.

• July 23, 2014 at 7:36 pm

But he’s an emoprog, working w/ GGreenwald at First Media (maybe Ezra Klein at VOX?).

I don’t pay attention to anybody with any connection at all to GG, because he’s the male version of Maureen Dowd, vicious, nasty personal attackers.

21. July 23, 2014 at 6:48 pm

I get spam.

Dear LL@mylibrary.com

Are you afraid of running out of money in retirement?

Would you like to increase your retirement income by 20-30%
    without risk?

If so, then click on the link below to learn about the
    #1 Wealth Accumulation Vehicle for Women then call
    877-770-3247 (24/7 recording) to get your FREE 20-minute
    consultation.

Really, I should just go ahead and have a sex change so that I can stop having to explain I’m a librarian AND a guy.

22. 87 Vicki
    July 23, 2014 at 6:49 pm

HOPEFRUIT—Where are you??????

23. 95 Nena20409
    July 23, 2014 at 6:50 pm

“Don’t be ridiculous…why would you think that?” Bloomberg said, responding to Blitzer asking if he thought political motivations factored into the flight ban.

“It’s an outrage for you to accuse one of our agencies…” Bloomberg said before Blitzer interrupted, “I’m not accusing anyone, I’m just asking.” Bloomberg then talked over Blitzer. “By asking the question you’re implying that our government does things for political reasons–and maybe every once in awhile they do–but it’s your job to prove it,” Bloomberg continued. “Just the allegation against our government, I personally take as an offense…just the tone of the question of trying to create dissension; it’s insulting to America.”

Then on Cavuto, Bloomberg said Those wanting failure are Sick.

Wow…..I have agreed with Bloomberg, 2X today? Wow.

24. July 23, 2014 at 7:04 pm

THOSE were the days!!

25. July 23, 2014 at 7:07 pm

Oh Christ, now I have “Happy Talk” stuck in my head. I hate the universe.

26. 108 Ladyhawke
    July 23, 2014 at 7:16 pm

27. July 23, 2014 at 7:21 pm

28. July 23, 2014 at 7:22 pm

Gotcha ….

• 112 Vicki
      July 23, 2014 at 7:36 pm

excellent question

• July 23, 2014 at 7:44 pm

Some of the nations did not vote for the UN resolution because it did not condemn Hamas…

three is not equality where the Palestinians stand and where the Israelis stand….Palestine is an occupied country…there is no industry…no infrastructure..etc…all the things necessary for a nation to thrive….

the death toll says it all…over 600 Palestinians have been killed…compared to 70 Israelis…

the Palestinians people are an occupied people….

I keep thinking about that graph that shows how over the last 50 yrs…Israel has annexed Palestinian land…

a few days ago I posted a tweet to a stranger on twitter…that Peace is the Path to security….but there can be no Peace with out Justice…. what does Justice look like for the Palestinian People…

• July 23, 2014 at 7:47 pm

Justice for the Palestinian people will be impossible until a majority of Israelis place it as a priority – which would, of course, be the fastest path to their own peace and security available to them.

• July 23, 2014 at 7:53 pm

I agree, pf.

Instead of yakking and opining all day every day, the media would do us all a service if they would produce an historical overview of Palestine and Israel and how this conflict began to take root over time. Have scholars of the region explain what is going on and WHY is has become so contentious. Americans have plenty of opinions but no information.

• July 23, 2014 at 8:10 pm

where it was in ’47 is not where it is today….the world has changed…

The President has said that the borders must go back to 1967 and that there can be settlements have to stop…

this was rejected by Netanyahu…a cease fire is not enough…there has to be justice….a 2 state Justice,,,

• 117 nospin
      July 23, 2014 at 7:47 pm

damn. good point. This deserves retweeting

• 118 SUE DUVALL SMITH
      July 23, 2014 at 10:37 pm

BIBI AND BLOOMBERG HAVE TO STOP WORRYING ABOUT AIRLINER BANS….PROFIT OVER THE SAFETY OF PEOPLE IS NOT A WINNER IN MY BOOK!…SHALLOW INDEED!

29. July 23, 2014 at 7:30 pm

I have the urge to make jazz hands while blasting “Happy Talk”.

30. 121 Vicki
    July 23, 2014 at 7:35 pm

Sen Ted Cruz announced that he would place a hold on all State Dept. nominees until the FAA decision is lifted/explained to his satisfaction.
    The always wrong senator has accused the administration of economic boycott of our friends, yada yada yada.
    The fact that the Media has gone relatively quiet about the 48 hour (so far) flight stoppage tells me that this rocket has hit its mark very squarely.