Jul

He Is ‘My Brother’s Keeper’

BtFIlCZCQAIPIVZ.jpg-large

• • •

Washington Post: Mr. Obama’s Promising My Brother’s Keeper Initiative

THESE ARE the depressing facts about boys and young men of color: They are more likely to drop out of school, more likely to be in prison, more likely to be unemployed and more likely to die at an earlier age. That minority men are at disproportionate risk throughout their lives has largely been seen as unavoidable. The beauty of President Obama’s public-private initiative to create better futures for them is its refusal to accept these outcomes as inevitable.

My Brother’s Keeper, a five-year, $200 million effort focused on improving opportunities for black and Hispanic youth, was launched in February. It got a boost this week with the announcement of new commitments from the private sector. Equally important is the decision by 60 of the nation’s largest school districts to join the effort by implementing evidence-based strategies to improve outcomes. The country as a whole will gain when males of color are able to realize their potential, rather than ending up on the streets, in jail or in the morgue.

More here

• • •

• • •

• • •

116 Responses to “He Is ‘My Brother’s Keeper’”

July 26, 2014 at 6:48 pm

Good afternoon, Tod:)

July 26, 2014 at 6:48 pm

Hello!

• 11 No Child Left Behind
      July 26, 2014 at 6:51 pm

Missed the opening by 60 seconds! Hello Vicki!

July 26, 2014 at 6:52 pm

So did I, NCLB. Desertf ‘blew’ me away. ;)

July 26, 2014 at 6:54 pm

Blew you away…lol :) All’s good! I see you got your computer fixed..Yahoo!!

July 26, 2014 at 7:00 pm

Yaaaahooo! Df, I’ve been smiling happily ever since I brought it back home around 3:30. :) :) :)

I was also eagerly awaiting the next post to see how it would fare in the race for the open gate – not bad, but not as good as the clunker over the last couple of days. It probably forgot the route to the gate. ;) Anyway, it was good to see *you* sprinting ahead for the prize.

• 15 MightyPamela
      July 26, 2014 at 7:57 pm

VC, dearest, so glad you are back in action! :)

3. 17 No Child Left Behind
    July 26, 2014 at 6:49 pm

??

4. July 26, 2014 at 6:51 pm

You’re a gem Nerdy, we needed something wonderful and uplifting like this today. Thank you, Legend!

July 26, 2014 at 6:55 pm

Thanks NerdyW. I like the fact that whatever PBO touches can be designated as ‘promising’, and that much of it moves to the success column fairly soon after.

6. 27 Judith Fardig
    July 26, 2014 at 7:00 pm

Happy Saturday all you lovely people, and congratulations to our gold medalists. NW, what a great reminder of family values!

7. 29 arapaho415
    July 26, 2014 at 7:31 pm

DF, congrats on #1!

Posted this last night for you, magapie, Dakota, Jackie and others in AZ and NM.

We in SoCal have AZ and NM to thank for our “monsonial” humidity (I think it’s high pressure over your states that’s drawing coastal moisture inland). We’re not used to high clouds and humidity during summer, but there’s a benefit.

Sure beats haboobs any day.

The best sunsets I’ve seen are in AZ, NM, which seem to regularly be 360 degrees of astonishing beauty.

8. July 26, 2014 at 7:42 pm

I thought the filibuster rukes that changed fixed this?
    Or does that not include Ambassadors?

9. 32 Jeff
    July 26, 2014 at 7:43 pm

Contacted Senator Patty Maury and told her how we need to stop funding Israel. I doubt she’ll be able to do much, but I feel better.

• July 26, 2014 at 7:45 pm

Take heed Jeff. Iron Dome has saved many lives.
      Now if we can just build one for Gaza, we would be all set.
      I think LBJ had it right during six day war…
      He gave both sides intel… Helped both sides. This neither had advantage.

• July 26, 2014 at 8:00 pm

Arming both sides will not help….Israel has much more fire power then the Palestinians…however…”Economic Sanctions” on Israel…could be very effective….Israeli officials were crying from the temporary moratorium imposed by the airlines…

• 35 Vicki
          July 26, 2014 at 8:17 pm

Agree pf. Hurting their airlines made a mark.
          If hamas continues to avoid killing israeli civilians and somehow can disrupt israeli commerce that could be a way out of this nightmare.

• 36 nospin
        July 27, 2014 at 9:10 am

I disagree Jovie.

They need to sit down at the table and compromise.

• 37 HZ
      July 26, 2014 at 8:15 pm

Jeff, I am so grateful that you were able to make your contact with your senator’s office. Senator Patty Murray is a very dynamic senator, so keep in contact with her office. I wish you great success in your opportunity to connect with her office. Let us know how things work out, if you so choose to do so. Thanks for your efforts, Jeff. HZ

10. July 26, 2014 at 8:02 pm

This is the man who wanted to become POTUS to restore fairness and equity to ordinary citizens.
    I feel so extraordinarily fortunate to witness his greatness.
    Thank you, NW.

11. 40 Nena20409
    July 26, 2014 at 8:09 pm

He’s My brother by the Hollies is so fitting right about now ;)

Thanks NW.

It looks like there were Two Stars:

DF and VC both clocking in at 6:48 pm :star: :star:

12. 42 Vicki
    July 26, 2014 at 8:09 pm

I know lots of people here don’t care for Bill Maher, but last night when Neil degrasse Tyson and Bill were discussing greatest events in last 50 years, like the moon landing for example.
    Bill said he thought the greatest thing in the last 50 years was Thirty Million People Getting Healthcare.
    I gave Bill a standing ovation and loud cheers for that opinion.

13. 43 Nena20409
    July 26, 2014 at 8:10 pm

Cher has a way of Not BSing

July 26, 2014 at 8:23 pm

I agree with you Cher. I watched alittle of Weekends with Alex Witt and she had some guy from the Urban League, he was talking about Rand Paul and I came away from listening to that guy thinking he is falling for Rand Paul B.S.

• 45 nospin
      July 27, 2014 at 9:11 am

which minority exactly do you think is listening to Rand Paul?

Seriously?

14. 46 Vicki
    July 26, 2014 at 8:15 pm

Thank you to everyone who posted the prootest marches against Israel’s destruction on the previous thread.
    Very heartening.

It feels to me like Israel is losing the Public opinion war. Not that it will influence their behavior.

15. 47 Nena20409
    July 26, 2014 at 8:16 pm

• 48 HZ
      July 26, 2014 at 8:24 pm

Nerdy, thank you for All that you do for all of us in this space. {{{{{{{{{ As Chips call you, ‘ Legend’}}}}}}}}}} Indeed. You are a beautiful angel for us and Chips, and we love you and thank you so much. HZ

16. 50 JER
    July 26, 2014 at 8:18 pm

President Obama is back at White House after golfing.

17. 54 arapaho415
    July 26, 2014 at 8:19 pm

As Rick Perry would say, “Oops.”

18. July 26, 2014 at 8:20 pm

I think the second amendment is the worst amendment ever.

• 56 99ts
      July 26, 2014 at 9:11 pm

This is not the interpretation of the 2nd amendment that sane people would give. It seems the constitution is now read as the right to die – but not the right to live. Horrible – just horrible.

19. 57 Nena20409
    July 26, 2014 at 8:21 pm

This family has just one child, a daughter. She was on HP 17. Her parents refused to believe that she was dead and has been trying to get to the Crash site. They have finally reached there.

20. 58 arapaho415
    July 26, 2014 at 8:25 pm

Reposting from earlier this week.

If LL took the “shortcut” through the San Marcos Pass last weekend (Happy belated Birthday, LL), he would have passed this lake, whose name always makes me want to say, “Bless you!”

Except those who live along the coast in Oregon and Washington, this should concern everyone in the Mountain and Pacific time zones:

Lake Mead is the country’s largest reservoir.

21. July 26, 2014 at 8:26 pm

Again!!!!! Iron Dome is a defensive weapon. It has saved many lives, this president supports it.
    Many of the offensive weapons Israel has are from republican administrations and Russian made weapons.
    This president has only provided Israel with defensive weapons.
    Let’s get this shit straight. Ok ??

• 60 nospin
      July 27, 2014 at 9:15 am

US Taxpayers should not fund this.

Period.

Bibi should be forced to cover costs for Israel himself or put his big boy pants on and come to an agreement towards 2 state solution.

22. 61 arapaho415
    July 26, 2014 at 8:40 pm

For BillR (thanks BT for front-paging his comment re: SCOTUS v Obamacare, 2014 edition):

• 62 Nena20409
      July 26, 2014 at 8:57 pm

But of those states, ONLY OH has some sort of Medicare ACA expansion.

McCuliff(sp) in VA is still fighting the TBGOPers in the state House. FL State house has done everything to deny coverage for Floridians.

• 63 99ts
        July 26, 2014 at 9:16 pm

My first thought – imagine the millions more who would get coverage if the states allowed their poor to get cover.

• 64 Nena20409
          July 26, 2014 at 9:24 pm

Indeed. 5.5M and counting to date.

The Media and the TBGOPers screamed bloody murder for Junk Insurance Cancellations…..All their Screams came to be Empty Vessels…… Yet the very same Media has been Mute on the 5.5M currently being denied access to Medicare ACA Coverage.

• 65 99ts
            July 26, 2014 at 9:26 pm

We’re on the same wavelength the past 24 hours Nena – I could say “yes indeed” to all your posts I am reading!

23. 67 HZ
    July 26, 2014 at 8:47 pm

Nerdy W., I love the photo at the top. It rings notes of joy, vision, care, love, intellect, and Hope for the young people to be with grace whatever they desire to be and do it well. Just taking the time to give each child the opportunity to be a whole and beautiful productive person for their space in this world. Thank God for our gift of this great man, now our 44th President of these United States.

He allowed his space as a young man to be filled with the goodness of humanity and now look at him. Oh, walk with love, a passion for what you want to do and do it with grace, appreciation, and compassion. The road is wide and the path maybe long, but the journey can be joyous for so many that you may never know their names, but you have lifted their spirits to move in a loving and just space.

I love our Community Organizer who gave, did, and move millions to give, do, and move FORWARD. This is real power with grace. PBO will always have a roomful of blessings in his life. He is a man who will be remembered in history as one who made things for his people rather than destroy and leave broken souls without hope.

Thank you again Nerdy W. I have been praying for beautiful blessings to come to his My Brothers’ Keepers Initiative. Blessings to continue to help young men on this journey. Let us pray for more participants in this cause. Pray that other men and women with the momentary resources step forward as well as the great supply of mentors. Great things are happening and will continue to happen with this great initiative. HZ

24. 68 Nena20409
    July 26, 2014 at 8:48 pm

With all the Wars in Syria, Iraq, Libya, etc

Here’s what keeps our Intel and Obama Adm awake 24/7. US citizens fighting in these Countries and eventually coming back restless and bent on doing something as this US Citizen did in Syria.

This is why SoS Kerry and POTUS are trying to use diplomacy to solve these problems.

• July 26, 2014 at 9:22 pm

When it happens the same empog-progressive-liberal that always calls the Thom Hartmann show saying PBO should be impeached for killing Americans with drones and these same so-called Americans are fighting against their own country, the empogs wants the president to capture them ( oh no they won’t sign up and go fight) some how and bring them to gitmo or be tried in this country. As far as I am concerned these people have declared war on America and are fighting the other side.

July 26, 2014 at 8:48 pm

Back, with a little noise for you all! :grin:

26. July 26, 2014 at 8:50 pm

After all the blood, sweat and tears President Obama and Secretary Kerry have put into the peace process, how DARE the Israel government say one negative thing about their contributions!

• 72 Nena20409
      July 26, 2014 at 9:02 pm

They are right wingers, just like the RWNJs here in USA. They see how disrespectful US TBGOPer Congress are towards The POTUS. They saw how Eric Cantor was treating a US president when he was on his many trips on US Tax payers Dime.

Truly, monkey see, monkey do. Since Han 20th, 2009…….The level of disrespect has been unprecedented.

• July 26, 2014 at 9:09 pm

Exactly, Nena. It really disgusts me that the RWNJs in this nation not only tolerate it but promote it.

• 74 HZ
          July 26, 2014 at 9:53 pm

Meta, you are so correct and on point. I confess, these actions of the RWNJs keep me awake at night. I am disgusted and very upset because of this unprecedented disrespect to President Barack Obama. Yes, we all know history of our country, but this level of disrespect has Never happen in my lifetime.

Yes, we are people of a certain tolerance for people to get their acts together, but these RWNJs just refuse to act appropriately about PBO. I get cry and scream out for guidance when I see all of this; and by the grace of God, my brother knows me and PBO, so he and his friends who know PBO personally give me comfort. Otherwise, I would be a complete wreck.

It hurts like a hellish fever that will not stop; but I know that there are more of us who believe in POB and his Cabinet. And thank God there are more great citizens in our nation who know that PBO is a good and decent person and a great president who is trying so darn hard to do his job that we, the people elected him to do. But he also know that people hate him and Never wanted a black man in the peoples WH. But he also realizes that he has to move forward knowing that there are more of the goodness of people who love him and respect him. He knows that. We elected him not once, but twice.

But one thing he knows: he is not the one to change the vile and evil hearts who hate him so much, it is disgraceful. But he knows that a group of million of wonderful people are praying for him everyday every moment. That he knows. And he knows that our personal beliefs and spiritual truths are personal, but they do and can reach out to his well being. Trust me. That is why I love Chips so much from the beginning that she was creating a space that would lift up the support and deep respect for President Barack Obama here.

It is difficult, trust me I know; but I do know that there is beautiful power in the coming together in prayer, meditations and whatever goodness that is within all of us, no matter where our personal belief systems are. We love goodness; we love helping our nation in a positive manner, and we believe in him.

We are One with the right spirits of intellect, compassion, and common sense. And we will use all of our gifts of goodness to get him through this portion of his second term. We will need to keep our hearts in great shape so when the time comes for us to Move FORWARD, we are rested , focused, and ready to move with him now and Nov. We can do this because we have grounded ourselves with Chips beautiful exposure to truths daily, and we want to be a part of being on the right side of history for generations to come. It is worth it. Rest up, enjoy your family, and pray and meditate on those things that are pure, generous, good, peaceful, and loving for those who cannot presently do it all for themselves. And We Will. {{{{{{{{ We Have His Back and Each Other’s Back}}}}}}}}HZ

• July 26, 2014 at 10:08 pm

“We are One with the right spirits of intellect, compassion, and common sense. And we will use all of our gifts of goodness to get him through this portion of his second term. We will need to keep our hearts in great shape so when the time comes for us to Move FORWARD, we are rested , focused, and ready to move with him now and Nov.”

Most defnitely, HZ.

#LandslideDEMS2014

Yes WE MUST

• 76 HZ
              July 26, 2014 at 11:57 pm

So very true, Bobfr: “Our solemn obligation to President Obama, America and humanity must be an absolutely crushing, unprecedented defeat of the GOP on 4 Nov 2014.” Amen Bobfr!!!!HZ

• July 26, 2014 at 10:25 pm

Oh HZ, you stated it all so beautifully. I sometimes despair at the disrespect and lack of appreciation for the hard work PBO does every single day. But then I come here and take in the positive heart and soul that everyone brings in honor of his service.

Americans don’t have the slightest understanding of the weight on President Obama’s shoulders. They have zero patience and don’t realize the sense of proportion of actions and budget that he must weigh with every move he makes, foreign and domestic. That he has such a wonderfully balanced and healthy grounding and perspective on life and work in the face of ongoing bigotry and malfeasance, it just leaves me in absolute awe. If I could have one wish, it would be for his mother to be present with him now. But I know he carries her wisdom within him and Michelle and the girls are there to love him each day.

• 78 HZ
              July 26, 2014 at 11:21 pm

Oh, meta. You made me cry. I wish we were facing each other and expressing and just hugging and crying out thoughts together. I just sit and cry so hard when I hear or read the things that are being done and said about PBO. But like you, I come here or go back and watch his speeches and it all of those things get me through. You are so right, it hurts so much. It really just breaks my heart at times that I have to go to bed and just keep the music going and just am quiet for hours.

I also say all the time, “Oh, I wish to God that his mother could be at this event or just hear him speaking or walking to and from his office, and speaking to all the world leaders…..” would be so wonderful. Remember he said that his mother was one to cry easily. Surely she would be lovingly crying everyday as she watched her beautiful son carry on. Wouldn’t it be so wonderful for her to be here. Of course, he carries her spirit with him daily. I am so grateful for our beautiful FLOTUS and First Grandmother Robinson being with all of them.

Meta, you are so special, and I am hoping and praying that we all will get through it, and I know we will do our best to do that. I love you, and I know many of us feel so deeply about this, but I am grateful that we can just share it some of the times as we come together.

I hope you are doing well in the heat. Today was another hot one down here, but there was a little quiet sweetness about it with all of the heat. Keep safe and cool, meta. You are so special in this family and I love you dearly. Thanks for helping me to share as well. It hurts so much, but we are going to get through it, I know it. Love you so much, meta. Enjoy the rest of the evening. {{{{{{Lots of hugs}}}}}}}}HZ

• July 27, 2014 at 9:04 am

Thank you so much, HZ, and much, much love right back at you. I always hold you in the highest regard and am grateful for your posts.

It was hot yesterday but I went to the Embarcadero where there is a long and beautiful walk along the Bay. Just heavenly. To be near the water is the best restorative balm.

{{{{{{{{Lots of love to you, HZ}}}}}}}}

July 26, 2014 at 9:33 pm

Meta, this same behaviour is part of what angers me about Netanyahu. They display a certain sense of entitlement, no doubt fostered over the years by some American Jewish organizations AND certain politicians.

• July 26, 2014 at 9:50 pm

27. 83 JER
    July 26, 2014 at 8:53 pm

Robin Roberts and Michelle Obama at Working Families Summit

28. 85 Nena20409
    July 26, 2014 at 9:04 pm

29. 86 forus50
    July 26, 2014 at 9:13 pm

The genius operating the twitter machine:

July 26, 2014 at 9:20 pm

Didn’t Grassley fight in WWI?

• 92 99ts
      July 26, 2014 at 9:33 pm

I don’t find any joy in watching a world war nor any reason to do it. Our government is planning a massive event for the 100 year anniversary of a battle we lost in 1915. I hate that we glorify war – and manage to forget that it leaves behind the sad, the damaged and the lost souls – from both sides of a conflict. I grew up with friends whose fathers were a smiling photo on the mantlepiece.

The majority wants peace, we demonstrate for peace, vote for peace and pray for peace – yet that peace never comes. For the past two years there has been much happiness in my life – at times I feel guilty that for so many, happiness is the impossible dream.

• 93 forus50
        July 26, 2014 at 9:49 pm

So true. I am horrified by people who would so easily choose war over working for peace and understanding. It seems in way too many countries the loud and hateful are in control.

• July 30, 2014 at 8:13 am

This is what the right wingers do…watch Fox and War shows.

My friends boyfriend who is a republican watches on war shows. I am always disgusted with him when we have get together. he goes off by him self to watch!

30. July 26, 2014 at 9:13 pm

31. 96 Nena20409
    July 26, 2014 at 9:14 pm

Just a fun video….especially for those cat lovers ;)

32. 100 forus50
    July 26, 2014 at 9:16 pm

33. 102 Nena20409
    July 26, 2014 at 9:19 pm

Now this happened in 2012 and it was exposed by Donna Brazil just yesterday? Why the delay? The Romneys went after her fellow CNN Contributor, Hilary Rosen in April of 2012.

In a Friday article detailing Sen. Rand Paul’s (R-Ky.) continuing courtship with black voters, the Times quotes Democratic strategist and CNN contributor Donna Brazile recollecting her first meeting with the former governor of Massachusetts.
    “Go back to 2012, and Mitt Romney showed up at the N.A.A.C.P. after he secured the nomination because he had to,” said Donna Brazile, the Democratic strategist. She went on to describe her first encounter with Mr. Romney in 2012, an awkward one that, to her, summed up the party’s problems. “He came up to me and said, ‘Hi, Gwen,’” she recalled, meaning Gwen Ifill, the PBS journalist, who is also black. “Poor thing. He didn’t know.”
    The Times reached out to a Romney spokesperson for comment, but did not receive a reply.

34. July 26, 2014 at 9:19 pm

35. 105 Nena20409
    July 26, 2014 at 9:33 pm

36. 106 anniebella
    July 26, 2014 at 9:44 pm

I saw were the Obamas sent Prince George a rocking horse for his first birthday.

37. 108 Nena20409
    July 26, 2014 at 9:48 pm

Peace is the 1st word of this Fine US service to the World.

38. July 26, 2014 at 10:05 pm

GOTG1 opens in the US on 1 Aug 2014 …. don’t ask …. :)

July 26, 2014 at 10:09 pm

fuck tapper, the tool.

40. July 26, 2014 at 10:10 pm

Good Evening Everyone:-)

Thank you so much NW for front paging my tweet….it’s an honor!

thankful for this blog…in spreading..truth, facts and undeniable support for our President!

I am with everyone, extending my prayers and Stand with PBO 1000%

41. July 26, 2014 at 10:11 pm

More relevant history …

“The way in which many in Russia and elsewhere view Stepan Bandera and his anti-Soviet movement during World War II is “an example of the big lie of the Soviet system” and its influence in post-Soviet times, according to Andrey Zubov, the MGIMO historian who was dismissed from his post for opposing Moscow’s annexation of Crimea.

In fact, he told Anastasiya Ringis of “Ukrainska Pravda,” any dispassionate analysis would show that Bandera was the leader of a typical national liberation movement and that Stalin, the head of the system against which he fought “was a greater fascist than [he was] or even than Mussolini.”

Unfortunately, under the Soviets, “the technology of creating myths was developed to the highest degree,” Zubov says. Indeed, even now, history is viewed in Russia “not as a science one must study and only then make use of but as an ideology which must be created” to serve this or that political end.”

#TrustBarack …. he knows history better than most ….

42. July 26, 2014 at 10:20 pm

I could listen to Michelle Obama talk all day long. Thanks for replaying that video with Robin Roberts.

RSS OFA