Jul

Rise and Shine: The Week at TOD

@petesouza: President Obama greets an enthusiastic customer at Canter’s delicatessen in LA today

• • •

All the week’s White House videos here

• • •

Sunday

Early Bird Chat • • • Rise and Shine: The Week Ahead • • • A Few Thoughts on Empathy

A Tweet or Two • • • Sunday, Bloody Sunday

The Weight of the World • • • Night Owl Chat: Music Soothes the Soul

• • •

Monday

Early Bird Chat  • • • Rise and Shine

The President Participates In A My Brother’s Keeper Town Hall • • • Chat Away

The President Awards Ryan M Pitts the Medal of Honor • • • A Tweet Or Two

The President’s Day • • • Night Owl Chat: A Little Poetry

• • •

Tuesday

Early Bird Chat • • • Rise and Shine

President and Vice President Sign the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act

A Few Thoughts on Putin’s “Strategic Genius” • • • Welcome To Democracy

The President and First Lady’s Day • • • A Tweet Or Two • • • Night Owl Chat: Archaeology Heals Wounded Warriors

• • •

Income Inequality Is A Problem And President Obama Is Tackling It

President Obama Speaks on the Economy, Los Angeles • • • A Tweet Or Two

The President’s Day • • • A Laugh Or Two

• • •

Friday

Early Bird Chat • • • Rise and Shine • • • TOD Toon Time

Portrait • • • A Tweet Or Two • • • West Wing Week: Chat On!

Humor Is 140 Characters • • • Friday Needs Laughs

• • •

Saturday

Early Bird Chat • • • Rise and Shine: The Week Ahead

Gaza • • • He Is ‘My Brother’s Keeper’

The Serious And The Not So Serious

• • •

• • •

Thank yooooooooou to the bestest blog tyrants

on planet Earth for all their work this week:

The legendary

The esteemed

The distinguished

And even

• • •

142 Responses to “Rise and Shine: The Week at TOD”

1. 14 nospin
    July 27, 2014 at 10:00 am

great rise and shine.

2. July 27, 2014 at 10:01 am

3. 17 Nerdy Wonka
    July 27, 2014 at 10:03 am

Great compilation. Thanks, Chips.

4. July 27, 2014 at 10:05 am

Defend yourself but let’s not do bush policy of all out war. And for crying out loud, don’t drop a nuke on them, as you said whatever is necessary .
    He’s scary.

5. July 27, 2014 at 10:08 am

6. 27 CEB
    July 27, 2014 at 10:12 am

GM, TOD ohana; coming to you from a beautiful Sunday morning in NE Fla.
    Thanks to all who have kept us informed during this trying, often tragic and sometimes silly season that is this Summer. I lurk much more than I comment, but I am always here celebrating the triumphs and sending love and support during the difficult times.
    Have a great day.
    PS. Chips, did you finish your house cleaning project? My interior remodeling was completed yesterday, now I have to put my home back together and I am tired just thinking about it.

• 28 0388jojothecat
      July 27, 2014 at 10:35 am

Wow CEB! The last interior remodel I did was put laminate floors on first level & bathrooms upstairs, new carpet and painted all room except kitchen. For some reason doing all that was easier than the kitchen remodel.

• 29 CEB
        July 27, 2014 at 10:47 am

I put off the kitchen remodel for a later date when I am prepared for an even bigger hassle and cost.

• 30 CEB
          July 27, 2014 at 10:50 am

That is I did the easier fixes in the kitchen:flooring, painting and lighting. I will get new cabinets and appliances later.

7. 31 GGAIL
    July 27, 2014 at 10:14 am

Good West Coast morning Chipsticks & TOD family.
    Wonderful thank you to the bt`s :-)

8. 32 0388jojothecat
    July 27, 2014 at 10:24 am

Good morning TOD family and good morning Chips. I too did and continue to do massive cleaning this weekend. I washed walls, vaccumed a ton of cat hair, scrubed floors, and still not done.

Have a blessed Sunday everyone and pray for our President and for the Palistenian people.

9. 33 Ladyhawke
    July 27, 2014 at 10:24 am

July 27, 2014 at 10:27 am

Yet another reason for Chips to NOT LIKE Billy Joel…AND John Boehner!!

After the news came out earlier this week that Billy Joel will receive the Library of Congress’ Gershwin Prize for Popular Song, John Boehner celebrated the Piano Man in his own fashion. The House Speaker’s office closed out the week with a press release regarding the nation’s jobs situation wrought entirely of puns on Joel’s song titles.

How sophomoric.

• 35 GGAIL
      July 27, 2014 at 10:33 am

Morning df. We’ve got rain coming from.Arizona. Did any reach where you live in AZ?

• 36 0388jojothecat
        July 27, 2014 at 10:40 am

Really GGail? It’s grey and cloudy in Pasadena. I better get busy. I was gonna wash my car today… figure it would rain.

• 37 GGAIL
          July 27, 2014 at 10:47 am

jojo, I’m not sure if the rain will reach you or I. It’s moving towards the Riverside area. We will probably just stay humid & cloudy.

July 27, 2014 at 10:47 am

OMG! I slept through the entire event:) My umbrellas were all over the place…I have the yardguys here now doing some work and they told me that a huge swath of a neighborhood they passed on the way here is a disaster! Trees down everywhere, power out..trees in road and crashed on homes. Must’ve had a microburst. Still cloudy out now, which is wonderful! I pray for cloudy days but will still be about 106 today….I’ll take it! Better than the 118 we had last week:) Enjoy the much needed rain!! Hope it comes to CA and fills the rain gauges and rivers:) HA! About the ONLY good thing AZ ever did for CA…:) Hope it rains a lot w/o the damage.

• 39 GGAIL
          July 27, 2014 at 10:55 am

SMH!
          Our resident AZ weather reporter slept through the storm :-)

July 27, 2014 at 10:57 am

I sleep like my daddy! Anywhere, anytime…”just resting my eyes” he always says as he snores and falls asleep literally anywhere:) When I’m snuggled in my bed and it’s dark outside, and raining….BEST SLEEP!

• 42 arapaho415
          July 27, 2014 at 11:38 am

DF,

No rain where I am (just south of Reagan Library), 0% probability per weather.com. However, this morning is spectacularly cool and overcast — which happens once in a blue moon in summer.

Will have Monarch caterpillar update later.

Posted this previously, just for you! (photo taken Friday evening, just after I discovered I’m foster mother to Monarch babies)

• July 27, 2014 at 10:46 am

:lol: Billy and Rusty …. what a combination /runs

11. 47 criquet
    July 27, 2014 at 10:30 am

GM all.

Just putting all the silly CNN polling into context:

Sample Size: 516

May 1–4, 2008 Hillary Clinton 51%, Barack Obama 44%, Other/No Opinion 5%

Ipsos Public Affairs
    Sample Size: 514
    Margin of Error: ± 4.3%

April 30 – May 4, 2008 Hillary Clinton 47%, Barack Obama 40%, Other 1%, No Opinion 12%

• 48 criquet
      July 27, 2014 at 10:33 am

USA Today/Gallup
      Sample Size: 516

May 1–4, 2008 Hillary Clinton 51%, Barack Obama 44%, Other/No Opinion 5%
      Ipsos Public Affairs
      Sample Size: 514
      Margin of Error: ± 4.3%

July 27, 2014 at 10:33 am

GooOoooddd MooOoorrrnNnning, TODobots on this side of the world!
    GooOoooddd Nnniiigghttt, TODobots in ‘night-y’ areas!

Beginning or ending, it’s Sunday everyone, and that means another week, a much better week, please God, is on its way!

• 51 GGAIL
      July 27, 2014 at 10:41 am

Morning vc. Happy for you that your laptop is back in tweeting condition :-)

July 27, 2014 at 10:49 am

Morning, GGail, and thanks! It has made a lot of difference to my mental outlook. ;) You really should try twitter too – sure there are many irritations, but there’s also lots of informative, supportive and uplifting ‘stuff’. What I think I love most though is the ‘power’ of being able to add my 1c (sometimes even 3c) contribution to the larger dialogue. ;)

Enjoy your Sunday, girl!

13. 54 Judith Fardig
    July 27, 2014 at 10:39 am

Bless the BTs – all of you! I would be ignorant of the real import of the news and much more depressed by it if not for you!

• 55 Dudette
      July 27, 2014 at 10:56 am

THISSSSSS!

• 57 arapaho415
      July 27, 2014 at 11:53 am

Welcome home from Wisconsin, Judith!

There’s a lot of Scandinavian influence along the CA coast (LL: think Solvang CA).

Many streets here have Scandinavian names (though vastly outnumbered by the Spanish names) and there’s a Scandinavian festival every April at Cal Lutheran, complete with Aebelskivers. :)

This is a small, mom & pop nursery who apparently aren’t on Twitter.

July 27, 2014 at 10:43 am

Thanks to all the bts – legendary, esteemed, distinguished, balanced (my synonym for ‘even’) and (Diva) delicious – for your hard work this past week. Together we made it through, as did our President and his Admin! #FORWARD

(random old anthem) >>>> ••►

July 27, 2014 at 11:09 am

EUREKA! I have just discovered that this random old song ;) makes a terrific exercise video. :) :) I’m proud to report that I’ve done 8mins and 44 secs of exercise this morning! I feel fitter already… AND it worked both physically and mentally – wow! You should try it. Honestly. In fact, if you let me know when you are starting I’ll run through it again WITH you. :grin: :grin:

• July 27, 2014 at 2:36 pm

You are so right. It’s a great 5 minute, sitting at the computer workout! It never gets old.

July 27, 2014 at 2:41 pm

Isn’t it great, Alma-b? I actually did my ‘exercise’ standing though, because it did actually get me moving. Today’s effort really did affect both mind and body, so I think I’ll use it for shaking my booty more often!

15. 63 Dudette
    July 27, 2014 at 10:44 am

16. 65 GGAIL
    July 27, 2014 at 10:48 am

17. July 27, 2014 at 10:50 am

Wow. What a journey it’s been.

• 72 CEB
      July 27, 2014 at 11:04 am

I am forever thankful that I watched his spell-binding speech live on that fateful night. After the speech, I searched for everything that I could find on this unusual young man who was running for the Senate and perked up to listen every time he was mentioned. I was one of those who in the earlier days of his candidacy for president thought that it was a bit too soon. After Iowa, I began to think that maybe this was possible; after SC, I was pissed off and totally through with all things Clinton and was able to persuade all of my siblings to vote with me for Barack during the Florida primary. It has been and continues to be an exciting, historical run that we have all been blessed to witness and to be a part of (“we are the ones that we have been waiting for”).

• July 27, 2014 at 11:12 am

SO so so many incredible memories, CEB. When I was sorting through things to send to Cousin Henry in Moneygall, I was really flooded with our dreams and aspiration of all those early days. I’ve learned so much about my country and myself in this process. I do my best to focus on all the good.

• July 27, 2014 at 11:50 am

I remember saying to myself then “This man is going to be president.”

• 75 arapaho415
      July 27, 2014 at 12:01 pm

Agree with @pfeiffer44 “can’t believe 10 years ago” (!).

Agree with Bill R. that I soooo hoped that this Senator would become President one day — everyone who is not a neo-con was thoroughly disgusted with the Iraq War, Abu Ghraib, etc.

I had actually heard of Barack Obama before the speech, in an article in The Economist magazine (which I read faithfully — at least the “Americas” section every week). They mentioned him a couple of years before in an article that described the POVs of Black leaders, comparing those who had participated in the Civil Rights movement of the 1960s versus the younger politicians (of course, Barack Obama was one of the younger Black voices).

18. 76 Dudette
    July 27, 2014 at 10:52 am

19. 77 Dudette
    July 27, 2014 at 10:52 am

20. July 27, 2014 at 10:52 am

21. July 27, 2014 at 10:59 am

As Bobfr says, we have to CRUSH the GOP and restore integrity to our democracy.

July 27, 2014 at 11:25 am

the three stooges.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

23. 90 Don
    July 27, 2014 at 11:26 am

After Netanyahu has destroyed Gaza and all of its people, does he think Israel can now live in peace? Does he think that the children of Gaza that lived through this destruction will understand what was done to them? I guess Netanyahu was looking for a final solution.

24. July 27, 2014 at 11:29 am

Very sobering:

25. July 27, 2014 at 11:32 am

26. July 27, 2014 at 11:44 am

This might be a cool hangout for us.

27. July 27, 2014 at 11:51 am

The NYT new Senate model:

28. 106 Vicki
    July 27, 2014 at 11:53 am

If you think that Netanyahoo with his dead eyes and blatant lying reminds you of the GOP/MSM, read article BWD’s twitter line references tying Frank Luntz the GOP Propaganda wordtwisting evil monster to the lying and wordspinning that Netanyahoo, Marc Regev and the rest of the israeli Liars Club engage in.

Blameshifting— just as here with the Blame POTUS for everything. Now they are blaming SOS Kerry, a great man if there ever was one.
    Sanctimonious high-minded tone to mask atrocities—- turning a population and its land to rubble—in the name of peace and security.

Luntz and GOP are losing BIG in America and their followers will do the same in Israel. Eventually.

29. 107 yardarm756
    July 27, 2014 at 11:58 am

G’day everyone……PEACE! <3

At birth we boarded the train and met our parents, and we believe they will always travel on our side. However, at some station our parents will step down from the train, leaving us on this journey alone. As time goes by, other people will board the train; and they will be significant i.e. our siblings, friends, children, and even the love of your life. Many will step down and leave a permanent vacuum. Others will go so unnoticed that we don't realize they vacated their seats. This train ride will be full of joy, sorrow, fantasy, expectations, hellos, goodbyes, and farewells. Success consists of having a good relationship with all passengers requiring that we give the best of ourselves.

The mystery to everyone is: We do not know at which station we ourselves will step down. So, we must live in the best way, love, forgive, and offer the best of who we are. It is important to do this because when the time comes for us to step down and leave our seat empty we should leave behind beautiful memories for those who will continue to travel on the train of life.

I wish you a joyful journey on the train of life. Reap success and give lots of love. More importantly, thank God for the journey. Lastly, I thank you for being one of the passengers on my train.

30. 111 Vicki
    July 27, 2014 at 11:59 am

A GOP method to supress voting I’ve noticed lately is an effort to spread the word that many people don’t vote. Not to say, “You should vote.” Or “Everybody must vote.”
    More to say, why bother? Nobody else votes either.
    POISON.

31. 112 Nerdy Wonka
    July 27, 2014 at 11:59 am

32. July 27, 2014 at 12:02 pm

What does it mean to be muted on twitter…is that the same as being unfollowed?..someone muted me….or something like that…

33. 120 lockewasright
    July 27, 2014 at 12:07 pm

My children’s birthdays are 11 months and 3 weeks apart exactly. (Hey, I was just trying to get some sleep. Take it up with my wife!) For all intents and purposes, this is the same as 1 week apart and results in an annual shared birthday celebration. Yesterday was the day. We had the celebration at Chuck E. Cheese since it’s really easy and the kids enjoy the place. As usual, my wife made a fancy schmancy cake for my daughter and another for my son and took them to the party. We were up all night finishing the decorations and I have to say I was pretty impressed. My wife’s cake decorating skills just keep growing. A little later I may see about uploading the pics to show off. She got a cheap package of plastic Disney Princess figurines, made silicon molds from them, and then used them to make a half dozen fondant busts of princesses that she colored with edible paint/markers. The cake was a castle with towers that had those princesses at the windows.

• July 27, 2014 at 12:43 pm

Pictures, please. Pretty please.

• 122 0388jojothecat
      July 27, 2014 at 12:44 pm

Morning lock…..we would love to see pics of the cakes your wife baked. Happy Birthday to the munchkins and enjoy the joyful noises at CeC. I must say I’ve only been there once when my cousins daughter turned 5. It smelt like burnt pizza and every five minutes the mouse sang HBD.

• 123 lockewasright
      July 27, 2014 at 1:01 pm

I uploaded a few to my photo bucket account. Let’s see if the link works:

34. July 27, 2014 at 12:10 pm

35. July 27, 2014 at 12:15 pm

“US Releases Satellite Evidence of Shelling From Russia
    16:10 (GMT)

The US State Department has released satellite photo evidence of the shelling of Ukrainian positions from inside Russian territory.

We have previously verified the location of videos showing Russian BM-21 Grad rocket launchers firing into Ukrainian territory from a location near the Russian town of Gukovo.

On July 16 Ukrainian forces reported being shelled from across the border, a location that matched the trajectory we plotted for the Gukovo launches.

Since then, there have been numerous reports from the Ukrainian military of cross-border shelling.”

Several tweets from our US Ambassador to Ukraine, such as …

36. July 27, 2014 at 12:18 pm

New post in 17 minutes, 24.2 seconds. Ish.

37. July 27, 2014 at 12:25 pm

Some people ask if I think Israel is defending themselves?
    Yes… Iron Dome is basically US technology. It’s Patriot 3 a Missiles with a few upgrades.
    Yes it has stopped over 2k rockets from landing on Israeli towns and it is saving lives .
    Yes, this system is funded by US taxpayers. No offensive weapons from this President has been delivered to Israel , only defensive weapons.
    Yes Netenyahu is a prick and wants to see Hamas eliminated doesn’t care who gets in the way,
    And but…, The hard line Muslim/Arab people really would like nothing better to eliminate Israel.
    This has been going on before the Egyptian Sphynx was built .
    Both sides hate each other. Also, the past 1k years add hard line Christian pro Jewish/Hebrew values and you currently have lopsided battles.
    History has proven, with the exodus in late 1930s etc that Jewish civilization has been shattered.
    Maybe they got some hard feelings about what has happened to them?
    I am not picking any sides, I think they’re both ridiculous.
    Everything I said is non biased and true.

July 27, 2014 at 12:30 pm

The one question you DIDN’T ask…can we consider that Gaza is protecting THEMSELVES from rocket fire?….Being defensive rather than offensive? Just sayin’,

• 137 Layla
      July 27, 2014 at 12:35 pm

Just because it is history(you say) does not mean it needs to be repeated ad vitam aeternam..just saying!

• July 27, 2014 at 12:39 pm

This map clearly tell the story of who is disappearing

• 139 Vicki
        July 27, 2014 at 12:53 pm

“The quiet violence of colonialism.”
        Movie reccomendation about this topic is “Cache.” it’s about modern day France and the bitter harvest their colonial exploits in N. Africa are reaping for the confused french people who practice their class prejudices and racism today without self-awareness.

The movie-maker marketed “Cache” as a middleclass muder mystery but that is not at all what it is.

38. July 27, 2014 at 12:29 pm

YESSSSSSS

39. July 27, 2014 at 12:49 pm

When I clicked on link, it said site I was trying to access was unsafe. ??????

RSS OFA