Jul

The President’s Day

The President and First Lady arrive for the 2013 National Medal of Arts and the National Medal of Humanities Medal ceremony

• • •

Attendees of the Summit of the Washington Fellowship for Young African Leaders cheer as President Obama announces that the program will be renamed in honor of former South African President Nelson Mandela

• • •

Text of the President’s remarks here

• • •

• • •

President Obama arrives at a town hall during the Summit of the Washington Fellowship for Young African Leaders

• • •

• • •

President Obama shakes hands with Linda Ronstadt after presenting her with the 2013 National Medal of Arts

• • •

Text of the President’s remarks here

• • •

Jeffrey Katzenberg, director and CEO of DreamWorks

Stanley Nelson

Joan Harris

Bill T. Jones

Darlene Clark Hine

Maxine Hong Kingston

Information on the all the recipients here

89 Responses to “The President’s Day”

1. 15 Vicki
    July 28, 2014 at 7:28 pm

President Obama,with all the weight of the world on his shoulders always finds time to light up the darkness with kindness and generous love.

• 16 Judith Fardig
      July 28, 2014 at 7:30 pm

His leadership and mentoring of emerging political leaders here and around the world will have great ripple effects for decades. Not sure the haters can even imagine it.

2. 17 Judith Fardig
    July 28, 2014 at 7:28 pm

Hey Vicki – congratulations! This was a beautiful day. Don’t want to spoil it with an ugly tweet, but Boehner and cronies need to be slammed hard.

3. 19 GGail
    July 28, 2014 at 7:30 pm

I enjoyed listening to POTUS townhall. The young folks adore him too!

What is it about that man??? :-)

4. 21 Nena20409
    July 28, 2014 at 7:33 pm

Fantastic Post.

Inspiring. Brava >-I Lady Chips.

Au :star: for Vicki ;)

5. July 28, 2014 at 7:37 pm

Well, I sure feel safer about our borders now.

6. July 28, 2014 at 7:37 pm

Bottom line ….

#TrustBarack

7. July 28, 2014 at 7:38 pm

BEIT HANOUN, Gaza — This narrow strip of land that used to be called “the Gaza Strip,” already one of the more densely populated places on earth, is growing dramatically smaller. The Israeli military, relentlessly and methodically, is driving people out of the three-kilometer (1.8 mile) buffer zone it says it needs to protect against Hamas rockets and tunnels. According to the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs, the buffer zone eats up about 44 percent of Gaza’s territory.

What that means on the ground is scenes of extraordinary devastation in places like the Al Shajaya district approaching Gaza’s eastern frontier, and Beit Hanoun in the north. These were crowded neighborhoods less than three weeks ago. Now they have been literally depopulated, the residents joining more than 160,000 internally displaced people in refuges and makeshift shelters. Apartment blocks are fields of rubble, and as I move through this hostile landscape the phrase that keeps ringing in my head is “scorched earth.”…

…“We lost our homes and so now we live in the streets,” said Haels, holding a toddler in her arms who clings to her pastel-patterned hejab. “This war has destroyed me.” She says at least she knew where her home was. Some of her neighbors could not find their homes as they walked down streets made unrecognizable by the wreckage and horrifying by the presence of death.

Rashid al Delo and his 11 children were, like Haels, blocked by Israeli machine-gun fire when they tried to return to their home near the bombed-out Wafa Hospital in Al Shajaya. But despite the dire reality, al Delo, who used to work in Israel but has been unemployed these last 15 years, is determined to salvage his life. “We will rebuild Gaza again and again, despite the force of the Israelis,” he said with confidence as he stood below the Gaza City apartment that belongs to his in-laws and houses, now, 30 members of their extended family….continued

8. 31 Nena20409
    July 28, 2014 at 7:44 pm

9. July 28, 2014 at 7:46 pm

Really, at this point you can’t help but assume that Israelis want to kill as many Palestinians as they can before forced to agree a ceasefire.

One of my favorite Twitter people, Gus_802, is more or less firmly on Israel’s side. He made a comment that Gazans would have more money if Hamas didn’t siphon it off to live the high life.

When the best you can do to rebut charges of mass killing is “Their leaders are corrupt”, you’ve missed the point. I hold no brief for Hamas. But does electing Hamas mean that you have to die? Hamas leaders don’t even live in the Strip; they’re not the ones suffering. They’re not the ones being punished.

• July 28, 2014 at 8:02 pm

This is Genocide….War Crimes are being committed….if the UN calls for sanctions against Israel…would the US veto the measure…but nothing short of economic sanctions is going to stop the murderous rampage of Netanyahu and the Israeli government

10. 34 Nena20409
    July 28, 2014 at 7:46 pm

11. July 28, 2014 at 7:46 pm

What a day!

Amazing town hall. Extraordinary Americans awarded medals in the arts and humanities. Especially pleased for Bill T Jones and Linda Ronstadt.

July 28, 2014 at 8:19 pm

Indeed meta. I’m hoping there will be video footage of the African leaders summit and townhall. Looked like a fantastic gathering. The Medal of Honor recipients are so honored to be in his presence – and he in theirs.

12. July 28, 2014 at 7:48 pm

13. July 28, 2014 at 7:49 pm

14. July 28, 2014 at 7:51 pm

• 41 Nena20409
      July 29, 2014 at 11:31 am

At 85 yrs old had she been alive, Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis would have still been younger than Rosaline Carter (1927), Barbara Bush (1925) and Nancy Reagan (1921)……the current Living former FLOTUS’. I didn’t include Laura Bush for Rehnquist made that regime possible.

15. 42 Nena20409
    July 28, 2014 at 7:52 pm

Josh “The Voice” Earnest at the WH on 7-18-14
    With a Guest from National Security Team

16. July 28, 2014 at 7:55 pm

It is time for sanctions against Israel

17. July 28, 2014 at 7:59 pm

18. July 28, 2014 at 8:10 pm

19. July 28, 2014 at 8:13 pm
  20. July 28, 2014 at 8:14 pm

Thanks for videos of the president’s day. He just continues to amaze.

21. July 28, 2014 at 8:18 pm

Chips, hope you saw this …

22. 67 yardarm756
    July 28, 2014 at 8:20 pm

Most of our generation was
    HOME SCHOOLED in many ways.
    1. My mother taught me
    TO APPRECIATE A JOB WELL DONE .
    “If you’re going to kill each other, do it outside.
    I just finished cleaning.”

2. My mother taught me RELIGION.
    “You better pray that will come out of the carpet.”

3. My father taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
    “If you don’t straighten up, I’m going to knock
    you into the middle of next week!”

4. My father taught me LOGIC.
    ” Because I said so, that’s why.”

5. My mother taught me MORE LOGIC .
    “If you fall out of that swing and break your neck,
    you’re not going to the store with me.”

6. My mother taught me FORESIGHT.
    “Make sure you wear clean underwear, in case
    you’re in an accident.”

7. My father taught me IRONY.
    “Keep crying,
    and I’ll give you something to cry about.”

8. My mother taught me about the science of OSMOSIS .
    “Shut your mouth and eat your supper.”

9. My mother taught me about CONTORTIONISM.
    “Just you look at that dirt on the back of your neck?”

10. My mother taught me about STAMINA.
    “You’ll sit there until all that spinach is gone.”

11. My mother taught me about WEATHER.
    “This room of yours looks as if a tornado went through it.”

12. My mother taught me about HYPOCRISY.
    “If I told you once, I’ve told you a million times.
    Don’t exaggerate!”

13. My father taught me the CIRCLE OF LIFE.
    “I brought you into this world, and I can take you out…”

14. My mother taught me about
    BEHAVIOR MODIFICATION .
    “Stop acting like your father!”

15. My mother taught me about ENVY.
    “There are millions of less fortunate children in
    this world who don’t have wonderful parents like you do.”

16. My mother taught me about ANTICIPATION.
    “Just wait until we get home.”

17. My mother taught me about RECEIVING.
    “You are going to get it from your father
    when you get home!”

18. My mother taught me MEDICAL SCIENCE.
    “If you don’t stop crossing your eyes,
    they are going to get stuck that way.”

19. My mother taught me ESP.
    “Put your sweater on; don’t you think I know
    when you are cold?”

20. My father taught me HUMOR.
    “When that lawn mower cuts off your toes,
    don’t come running to me.”

21. My mother taught me
    HOW TO BECOME AN ADULT .
    “If you don’t eat your vegetables, you’ll never grow up.”

22. My mother taught me GENETICS.
    “You’re just like your father.”

23. My mother taught me about my ROOTS.
    “Shut that door behind you.
    Do you think you were born in a barn?”

24. My mother taught me WISDOM.
    “When you get to be my age, you’ll understand.

25. My father taught me about JUSTICE .
    “One day you’ll have kids,
    and I hope they turn out just like you !”

This was only for the over 50 crowd because the younger ones would not believe we truly were told these “EXACT” words by our parents.

23. July 28, 2014 at 8:25 pm

24. July 28, 2014 at 8:29 pm

In all seriousness, what do you think would happen if this president imposed sanctions on Israel?

Also, do you think the rich ass People who happen to be—– would allow this?

I wonder if Kochs and Trump and addleson and….

• 73 Vicki
      July 28, 2014 at 8:36 pm

It doesn’t have to be President Obama imposing sanctions.

If more Americans understand the truth about Israel enlightened businessman will make good decisions.

• July 28, 2014 at 8:43 pm

I don’t think it’s about imposing sanctions, but I do think we are about to turn a corner on Israel. This violence is intolerable.

• 75 Jeff
      July 28, 2014 at 8:52 pm

There are ways beyond our bureaucrats to cause change. We must push back against this travesty and push back hard. What is happening goes against all humanity and what is decent in the world. Protests is one step, boycotts and other actions will also be another step.

25. 76 nospin
    July 28, 2014 at 8:32 pm

Yes it is Huffpo

Debunking Israel’s 11 Main Myths About Gaza, Hamas and War Crimes

26. July 28, 2014 at 8:34 pm

27. 78 nospin
    July 28, 2014 at 8:39 pm

John Prescott: Israel’s bombardment of Gaza is a war crime – and it must end

Those who live in Gaza are kept like prisoners behind walls and fences, unable to escape the bombings, and an Israeli economic blockade has forced Palestinians into poverty.

Israel’s Iron Dome defence system easily intercepts missiles launched from Gaza. Three Israeli citizens have died from these ­primitive rockets, with 32 soldiers killed fighting Hamas.

Compare that to the toll in Gaza. Of the 1,000-plus to die, more than 80 per cent were ­civilians, mostly women and children.

But who is to say some of the other 20 per cent weren’t ­innocent too? Israel brands them terrorists but it is acting as judge, jury and ­executioner in the ­concentration camp that is Gaza.

28. 79 Vicki
    July 28, 2014 at 8:42 pm

Great article. This is the word getting out. When huffpo carries the truth………..

Mark Regev loves to brag that israel left gaza and does not occupy Gaza.
    This is true only in the sense that the wardens of Sing Sing San Quentin Florence Angola are not occupying their prisons. They go home at night.

29. 82 yardarm756
    July 28, 2014 at 8:45 pm

Believe it or not. More post-racial b.s. I think.

30. 83 dotster3
    July 28, 2014 at 8:46 pm

On the road again—–trying to get caught up with all the news while on our road trip from Il. to Ct. to spend time with fam—-had the great pleasure of seeing grandson’s great performance in Peter Pan—-got to fly over the audience as Michael Darling in a great production of Peter Pan and win laughs and applause with his winning personality, a star in the making, a very objective review. :) No really. And to spend time with my daughter and son in law and very sweet talented gr. daughter and experience her lovely and moving viola orchestra concert. I love Ct.—-overheard lib conversations all over the place—–a cute grandma lecturing her gr. daughter about the ugliness of individually wrapped cheese while I was watching gr. kids playing a tennis match—-said it was such a waste of energy and horrible for environment——and at pre-play din listening to a nearby table talk about horrible Republicans and what they’ve done to obstruct PBO at every turn. We’re on our way home now—-in Maumee, Oh. for the night (Toledo, home of the great newspaper Toledo Blade), was sad to see the exit today for Newtown/Sandy Hook. Still can’t believe that no sensible gun legislation was possible after that absolute nightmare. Was real happy to get out of the car tonight at motel, long time confined—-and to be at Homewood Suites where beer and wine are “free” on week nights. Back home tomorrow. Carry on everyone. Thanks for caring about all the important stuff.

July 28, 2014 at 8:50 pm

You made me even MORE homesick for my birth state of CT… so much to miss. Glad you had a great visit with your family…careful on the rest of the way home.

31. 85 arapaho415
    July 28, 2014 at 8:47 pm

don’t have a dog or cat update like amk, 57andFemale, Linda, etc, but I do have one for the critters I’m raising.

I mentioned on Friday that I noticed a single Monarch caterpillar on a milkweed plant I had purchased two weeks ago. Then I noticed a second one, so added “milkweed” to my Saturday shopping list because they seemed to be eating a lot, and I wanted to have something remaining to attract Monarch butterflies.

Yesterday I noticed that the milkweed I purchased on Saturday had a caterpillar about ready to pupate, but I missed the process because I ran out to get a collapsible laundry hamper from the 99 Cent store (and got the last one). Hoping to see the butterfly emerge, and then release it.

The original two caterpillars that I noticed on Friday night are now enormous. They’re more than twice the size they were on Saturday, and may be ready to pupate themselves soon.

I know many in TODville don’t appreciate pics of creepy crawlers, but am posting a pic of the chrysalis, which is gorgeous. A light lettuce green with sparkling gold flecks.

If you’re interested in the caterpillars, see my Twitter timeline.

July 28, 2014 at 8:52 pm

It’s so wonderful that you’re doing this:) We’ve done that in the classroom and it’s a special thing to see.

• July 28, 2014 at 9:18 pm

Make sure you have some fennel and dill for the little critters also. I’m so jealous. I have my first swallowtail and first monarch this week. I’ve got plenty of milkweed (if the aphids will leave it alone). So I’m looking forward to seeing nature at its finest.

32. July 28, 2014 at 9:07 pm

Bibi is messing with the wrong fella ….

#TrustBarack