Jul

Kansas City ♥ President Obama

Bt0TVFQCUAE2PC3.jpg-large

Pete Souza: Pres Obama acknowledges the crowd at the Uptown Theater in KC today

• • •

Text of the President’s remarks here

2014-07-30T161927Z_1781271204_GM1EA7V00TL01_RTRMADP_3_USA-OBAMA

16df6e92b9fa611d5b0f6a7067007f29

2014-07-30T163248Z_371552592_GM1EA7V01GC01_RTRMADP_3_USA-OBAMA

2014-07-30T162952Z_951779858_GM1EA7V01AO01_RTRMADP_3_USA-OBAMA

654a3bf1ba03611d5b0f6a706700a26e

9c3540e9ba02611d5b0f6a706700c9a2

9c3f96cbb9ee601d5b0f6a706700a922

84824c2fb9fd611d5b0f6a706700ebfe

1341a622ba11611d5b0f6a70670035b5

President Obama greets Grayling Taylor

2014-07-30T165452Z_1256492681_GM1EA7V02GX01_RTRMADP_3_USA-OBAMA

cdeac3e6ba40621d5b0f6a706700b177

President Obama tries a sample of roasted coffee from Ethiopia at Parkville Coffee during a surprise stop along Main Street in Parkville, Missouri

f8cc40b6ba4f621d5b0f6a706700268f

2014-07-30T181537Z_79016373_GM1EA7V066I01_RTRMADP_3_USA-OBAMA

President Obama orders an iced tea

Bt0TqsdCAAEd_eA.jpg-large

Pete Souza: Pres Obama signs a coffee cup for a patron at Parkville Coffee

2014-07-30T181720Z_219604607_GM1EA7V069401_RTRMADP_3_USA-OBAMA

2a478171ba3a621d5b0f6a706700273a

President Obama greets people during a surprise stop on Main Street in Parkville, Missouri

2014-07-30T180749Z_2002106179_GM1EA7V05UU01_RTRMADP_3_USA-OBAMA

Bt0UYnfCIAAXe45.jpg-large

Pete Souza: Pres Obama scopes out the merchandise at Cool Vintage Watches in Parkville

2014-07-30T181200Z_1139669497_GM1EA7V05ZR01_RTRMADP_3_USA-OBAMA

President Obama sips an iced tea while in a quilt shop

2014-07-30T181842Z_229473243_GM1EA7V06D201_RTRMADP_3_USA-OBAMA

881a1297ba7a631d5b0f6a7067007c98

President Obama greets airport workers and their families at Kansas City International Airport

398e3468ba7a631d5b0f6a70670090a8

ffa4da00ba7c631d5b0f6a7067004f35

President Obama waves as he boards Air Force One, heading back to Washington, D.C.

Back at the White House

151 Responses to “Kansas City ♥ President Obama”

1. July 30, 2014 at 6:35 pm

So good to see the President. A great roundup of pictures, videos, people loving him and him loving back!

This was additional good news buried in the Medicare report:

This is arguably the most unexpected piece of news in the new Medicare Trustees report: the government’s hospital insurance program might be spending less money to cover more beneficiaries than it did a year ago….

…But what’s definitely clear — and what’s driving this trend — is that Medicare is spending significantly less per person than they did two years ago. And this report expects that trend to continue for another two years going forward….

….By 2015, the Medicare Trustees’ Report projects that the program will spend less per person on hospital care than it did in 2008. This doesn’t happen much in health care: not just slower growth, but the actual dollar amount spent on a given type of care dropping…..

• 20 pkayden
      July 30, 2014 at 6:46 pm

Great to hear! Thank you, President Obama. Sue him for that, Rethuglicans!

• 21 0388jojothecat
        July 30, 2014 at 6:55 pm

In deed, Thank You President Obama for making hospitals treat the patient, not just turn them loose to return with the same problem and be able to bill Medicare over and over without treating the patient properly. Since the new rules hospitals will have to bear the burden on repeat visits for the same complaint, hospitals and doctors are being more responsible to the patient.

• July 30, 2014 at 7:02 pm

LOL!! ObamaCare is a wild success. There was an article reporting that the more anti-ObamaCare money spent, the more people signed up. I suspect the suit will have the same effect. Pollsters run the generic ballot polls to find if there is a wave and there is no GOP wave. As a matter of fact, Dems are ahead. This is not 2010 AT ALL. The GOP stuck a stick in a hornets nest and keeps whacking it — Latinos, women, uninsured, veterans, and the President has millions of people who love and respect him. I see so many positive signs and I’m having great fun doing whatever I can to elect Democrats. Fired up and going all out!!!

2. 23 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    July 30, 2014 at 6:35 pm

GE, TOD!

July 30: UN Ambassador Samantha Power will deliver closing remarks with an introduction by Assistant Secretary of State for African Affairs Linda Thomas-Greenfield at 6:30 p.m. (EDT). Watch a live broadcast of this event here: http://www.state.gov/p/af/index.htm

• 24 donna dem 4 obama
      July 30, 2014 at 6:45 pm

Hey Alycee, I hope you are well!

I rode past the Navy Yard earlier today and there was a sign at the gate that said, “gun salute today”. What does that mean?

• 25 Alycee (@jazziz2)
        July 30, 2014 at 6:50 pm

Probably a retirement ceremony where a gun salute will be rendered. Since the NY was the site of a mass shooting, I surmise they are alerting folks that there will be the sound of gunfire…

• 26 donna dem 4 obama
          July 30, 2014 at 6:53 pm

Ahhhh Okay that makes sense.

Thanks!!!

• 27 Alycee (@jazziz2)
          July 30, 2014 at 6:56 pm

BTW, I’m hanging in there. D-i-L#1 and grandson left yesterday. I so enjoyed their visit, however, I am wiped out. I’ve cancelled my trip to the Newport Jazz Festival, there is just no way I can make a 6 hour drive. I’m so disappointed; this year is the 60th Anniversary, and I’ve had my tickets since December…

• 29 pkayden
      July 30, 2014 at 6:50 pm

Nice article. We all have the blood of Africa running through our veins given that all human beings originate from Africa. I love how open FLOTUS is about herself and her husband. I’m savoring the next two years because this First Couple will be greatly missed.

July 30, 2014 at 6:56 pm

It inded was a nice article, I am just sorry I missed FLOTUS speech today. Right now I don’t want to even think about the next two and a half years, because it will be a tough moment to see POTUS and FLOTUS walk out of that White House. Let me change the subject.

3. July 30, 2014 at 6:40 pm

Nerdy, an absolute gem of a post, what joyous photos, and what a wonderful fiiiiiiiiiired-up speech!!!

Thank you Legend for all the work, this is fantastic.

4. 33 Vicki
    July 30, 2014 at 6:40 pm

Nerdy!!! Great selection of photos you gave us. If the WH broadcast showed the balcony full of lucky people I missed it. So fun to see all the happy folks.
    Also the coffee guys describing their experience was lovely–ethiopian coffee+ iced tea to go. This is interesting to me. Perhaps I’m a distant relative of The Count? who knows?

5. July 30, 2014 at 6:40 pm

6. July 30, 2014 at 6:41 pm

7. 39 dotster3
    July 30, 2014 at 6:42 pm

8. July 30, 2014 at 6:44 pm

This is heartbreaking beyond belief:

• 41 arapaho415
      July 30, 2014 at 6:54 pm

This abomination must stop.

Heard someone say on the radio that a Gaza child who is 6 years old has been through 3 wars in his/her lifetime.

Also heard someone else say that Israel has all the GPS coordinates of the UN safe houses, yet this keeps happening.

Agree with (Seattle) Jeff that Bibi is waging a war with war crimes.

• 42 dotster3
      July 30, 2014 at 6:55 pm

I don’t understand why every reporter is not breaking down in tears in reporting this atrocity. The daily toll is noted and then to the vid of the little girl who doesn’t want her baby brother to grow up. Just another news item. The death and destruction is preposterous, hard to fathom, from some other time. It’s insane.

• 43 nospin
      July 30, 2014 at 7:08 pm

this needs to be sent over to Harry Reid, SOS Kerry, POTUS, VPOTUS etc.

The US should not fund Bibi’s wars

9. 44 arapaho415
    July 30, 2014 at 6:44 pm

Wonderful, wonderful pictures.

Thanks for posting, NW.

Love that PBO was able to enjoy himself at the legendary Arthur Bryant’s BBQ yesterday. And today’s events really are like PBO decides to go for a walk around the neighbor, enjoying an Americana summer afternoon. He gets to stretch his legs a bit, and people on the sidewalks and stores get to swoon a bit, LOL.

@petesouza is on a roll. I’m sure this Obot SWOONED to get a reply from this phenomenal photographer. I know I would.

10. July 30, 2014 at 6:45 pm

Only the CDC and WHO should be qualified to handle exposed victims.
    All others need not apply.
    Seriously!

11. July 30, 2014 at 6:46 pm

Kay Dubz on the record!

12. July 30, 2014 at 6:47 pm

An entire city block razed within minutes:

13. July 30, 2014 at 6:47 pm

14. July 30, 2014 at 6:47 pm

15. July 30, 2014 at 6:48 pm

• 64 pkayden
      July 30, 2014 at 7:01 pm

Love it!

Maryland too!! Whoot whoot!

• 65 0388jojothecat
      July 30, 2014 at 7:04 pm

YEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! I hope we NEVER get ruled by Rethugs again. We have a surplus and there is NO Rethug President and Vice President to unleash their henchmen on us like they did back in 2001 when we were Govenatored by Awful Awnold.

16. July 30, 2014 at 6:49 pm

17. 72 arapaho415
    July 30, 2014 at 6:51 pm

18. 73 donna dem 4 obama
    July 30, 2014 at 6:52 pm

I Love That He Is Our President!!

I am going to cry buckets on January 20. 2017

I’m so grateful that I am alive to witness all of this!!!!

• July 30, 2014 at 6:54 pm

We’ll bust our collective asses for him ’til then Donna, we won’t even think about beyond – and with people like you having his back, he’ll be just fine :-)

• 75 donna dem 4 obama
        July 30, 2014 at 7:01 pm

I have no idea why I got so sentimental today but something about seeing that pep in his step made me realize that one day in the not so distant future I won’t have these moments.

But you’re right. I. Must. Focus. On. 2014 :)

• 76 pkayden
      July 30, 2014 at 7:03 pm

Me too! Crying already just thinking about it.

• July 30, 2014 at 7:10 pm

I also had the same response today as he spoke in his light-hearted/direct-hit way…..wondering what in the world we’re going to do when he’s no longer POTUS. I’m beside myself.

• 78 donna dem 4 obama
        July 30, 2014 at 7:15 pm

Isn’t it weird? I’m going to try and not think about it because I get all mushy with the thought. We’ve got to get him a working Congress for his last two years.

19. July 30, 2014 at 6:59 pm

20. July 30, 2014 at 7:00 pm

• 90 pkayden
      July 30, 2014 at 7:29 pm

Thank goodness there were no Blue Dog Democrats voting against our President this time around.

• July 30, 2014 at 8:20 pm

I am sooooooooooooooo Proud…that despite it all…even the Bluedogs voted NO….a testament to the House DEM Leadership!!!!!….Keep On …keepin on!!

21. July 30, 2014 at 7:01 pm

22. July 30, 2014 at 7:09 pm

If you are sitting at home and wondering how you can help…….here is one option:

23. 94 Linda
    July 30, 2014 at 7:10 pm

Congressman Mo Brooks – R Alabama just said he would have preferred to sue the President over issuing work permits to undocumented migrants.

Hello Mr. Brooks. I don’t think you can sue for something that has not happened.

Gawd these Gopers are dumbass idiots.

24. July 30, 2014 at 7:10 pm

25. 97 donna dem 4 obama
    July 30, 2014 at 7:12 pm

Okay how about this Friday we do a “So Sue Me Money Bomb”?

26. July 30, 2014 at 7:13 pm

They have no intention of acceding Crimea to Putin …

27. July 30, 2014 at 7:13 pm

28. 105 Vicki
    July 30, 2014 at 7:14 pm

There are reports that US is replenishing its stocks of weapons to Israel from our caches in Israel.
    Stores in Israel??? We keep stockpiles in israel??
    Maybe the idea of US military in the Negev wasn’t as off-base and sarcastic as I meant it to be when I said it a few days back.

• 108 nospin
      July 30, 2014 at 7:41 pm

I read that as well somewhere Vicki. Which is why I have been targeting Congress and forwarding tweets, sending emails and posting on facebook pages. If they see it, they cannot deny what Israel is doing in Gaza.

I also sent over the video from the UN official crying because of what is going on while the world sits back and does nothing. I always include that US taxpayers should not fund Bibi’s wars.

29. July 30, 2014 at 7:22 pm

CNN’s top National Security analyst pulling a David Frum…pathetic:

30. 112 EricFive
    July 30, 2014 at 7:23 pm

It seems the only folks who believe the propaganda the msm/gop peddles are the peddlers themselves. Insulting and antagonizing each member of the Obama Coalition (African-Americans, women, Latinos) this close to the midterm elections makes absolutely no sense. Boner’s bogus lawsuit will be a gift that keeps on giving (moving Independent voters to the Dems, motivating Dems to donate and vote). As I have said before, this “do nothing” strategy of the GOP is very risky and seems to be backfiring in the real world (very few in the media bubble seem to be getting a clue concerning this reality). I think the MSM/GOP have underestimated both PBO and democrats in general. To base an election year strategy completely on exhibiting racist hate toward the President defies logic. PBO has been Black for his entire Presidency, one would assume that would be enough to motivate White racists voters to vote. So I really question how many new voters this strategy of “punishing PBO” is winning in reality. 2010 was a perfect storm for the GOP. The ACA was indeed a huge change, and scared a lot of folks with the propaganda concerning “death panels” and prophecies of doom. The MSM/GOP preyed on the naivety of young voters who became disillusioned when pragmatic realism clashed with their preferred fantasy scenario (i.e. Public Option and other pet issues ). From Ed Schultz infamously telling Dems to sit out the 2010 midterms, to every media outlet unleashing a level of negativity toward PBO that had never been seen, the MSM/GOP did a masterful job of discouraging Dems. Today, in contrast, the MSM/GOP’s propaganda has become so predictable and over the top that it is more comical than sinister. It is hard to keep a nonstop propaganda offensive “fresh” over a period of six years, people start to wake up and realize they are being lied to. As the effectiveness of the propaganda wanes, so do the GOP hopes of a wave in 2014. If the Dems are able to manifest a wave themselves and sweep these corrupt GOP assholes from office, it will be of monumental importance to this country’s future. It will prove the limitations of the “propaganda based politics” we are suffering through today.

• 113 pkayden
      July 30, 2014 at 7:38 pm

Rethuglicans are relying on their voter suppression laws to steal the election this November. To stir up their bigoted and racist base, they must insult/demean minorities, women, gays, etc. They are a party of hate. I vote every election I can and I hope that my fellow Democrats will do the same in November.

• 114 EricFive
        July 30, 2014 at 7:54 pm

That is their plan, but I don’t think it will work. Lawsuit and continued disrespecting of PBO will inspire more African-Americans to vote in midterms than would ordinarily vote. Agitating the opposition is not a winning election strategy (a demoralized opposition is much preferred). Suing PBO will also motivate the wider PBO coalition, who will rally behind the man they voted for in 2008 and 2012. It just seems like a poorly thought out strategy the GOP/MSM have adopted.

31. July 30, 2014 at 7:24 pm

This lawsuit has just slid right through my defenses. Usually I can “brush the dirt off’, take the long view, like our president and try to put the unbelievable disrespect aside. I look at him and am so inspired by what he accomplishes every day. This is just the last straw, I think. They are trying to demean him and they are only ending up demeaning themselves, their party, and their country. The fact that they have no standing and they KNOW they have no standing and yet they go through with this charade is beyond belief. This is what comes of 30 years of ‘government is bad’, ‘all politicians are bad’. The freshmen elected in 2010 don’t even understand how the government is supposed to work, what the President’s job is. They aren’t even ideologues any more – just anti-Obamalogues. I know many people have written that they have no policy, no platform, except to oppose their president, sometimes something you’ve heard over and over again just smacks you really hard between the eyes and this is that moment for me. And they are elected because people hear the anti-government anti-politician rhetoric as a constant underlying drumbeat and they stop recognizing that most are pretty honest, pretty dedicated people trying to do their best, who entered this form of public service because they are interested in a functioning government and want to SERVE THEIR COUNTRY. This has just brought home to me viscerally how empty, rotten, shell the Republican Party has become – not just the ‘Tea Party’ wing, but ALL of them who put their names behind this. Their world-view has been shaken and they cannot adapt. They came in in 2010 like Lords of the Universe and have been outplayed and outmaneuvered by the man they hate, the man who works to make THEIR world better every single day. They have lost to him Every. Single. Time. Their self-hatred knows no bounds and the only way they can still the pain even momentarily is to attack, slander, degrade, and demean him. But the pain will always return. And he has and is and will always RISE ABOVE because NO weapon formed against him will prosper

• 116 dotster3
      July 30, 2014 at 7:45 pm

I see it as juvenile payback for Obama beating them—–twice. I know they have planned obstruction from the get-go, but I think the re-election really pushed them over the high cliff—-they thought they had that one—-and with Obama’s victory the hate was ratcheted up about 20 knots. They have never been able to get the best of him. They see what we see—–all the love and admiration he gets wherever he goes, all the grace and dignity and determination to carry on. So they react with this tantrum. They want this in the history books, the first president ever sued, to try to damage and demean him, put a blemish on his presidency. It’s just beyond revolting. I expect many books to reveal the ugly truths of this time, to set the record straight.

• July 30, 2014 at 7:49 pm

I know that is true, Dotster. I hope I’m alive to be reading the history textbooks that will define his presidency as a turning point in our history and these foul pests who took this vote will be in the rubbish bin.

• 118 Vicki
      July 30, 2014 at 8:05 pm

I agree with what you say, maryl and dotster, but I think there is another dynamic in play here.

This ridiculous suit achieves two objectives: 1) It fills up the airwaves
      2) It gives the appearance of something is going on.

Who are they kidding? We know they are going home for 5+ weeks having done very little that is worthwhile.

I think the GOP/MSM ran out of phony scandals to blather about and made up a lawsuit to fill the void that lack of doing their job produces.

• July 30, 2014 at 8:11 pm

I know that’s a part of it too. But I don’t think they can even pretend to themselves that this will actually convince anyone they are accomplishing anything. Maybe the small T party wing believes this, but Boehner and the other don’t. They are certainly frustrated that PBO doesn’t do scandalous things. And because they are abusers and manipulators and liars themselves, they cannot comprehend that PBO is not lying, manipulating and abusing. This is the only frame of reference for human behavior that they have.

• 120 Vicki
          July 30, 2014 at 8:17 pm

They are playing to their base who they hope will show up for them in November. They don’t care what the rest of us think.
          Every insult to PBO makes me sad and angry, but did you see PBO today? POTUS was on fire. Just fine. I’m taking my cues from him.

32. July 30, 2014 at 7:27 pm

33. July 30, 2014 at 7:32 pm

Dear Chips & NW, Highly recommend your featuring a “Word From …. both Maryl1 and EricFive” – see their respective comments, above. Thank you

34. July 30, 2014 at 7:35 pm

35. July 30, 2014 at 7:39 pm

Hi ho, hi ho, really gotta go. Those quilts are bee-you-tea-ful!! Back sometime.

36. July 30, 2014 at 7:40 pm

37. July 30, 2014 at 7:45 pm

“Netanyahu was right that when seeking the support of democracies, you need to convince the public in those countries that you have a moral claim. But he never seems to understand that it’s not enough for your cause to be just if the actions you take in the name of that cause are unjust. Faced with public criticism, he offers spin as the solution. Faced with policy disagreements with Washington, he and those around him respond by accusing the administration of treachery.

Last September, when Washington opted for an agreement on dismantling Syrian chemical weapons, Netanyahu’s response suggested that America had abandoned Israel. His public reaction to the interim agreement with Iran in November was greater fury. Those conveniently nameless “very senior” sources blasting the ceasefire proposal are following suit.

So if not treachery, was the proposal a mistake? That’s a separate discussion. I’ll note, though, that in the last year commentators and officials here have accused Kerry of cluelessness for treating the Israeli-Palestinian status quo as unsustainable and insisting on negotiations instead, and for willingness to work with the Palestinian unity government after negotiations broke down. In hindsight, he appears less naïve than his critics.

In the ceasefire proposal, it seems his main errors were overestimating Netanyahu’s desire to stop the fighting and underestimating the government’s willingness to turn a disagreement into public accusations. Given past experience, this may be unforgiveable naiveté. But it’s not a strategic terror attack by Perfidious America.”

38. 133 globalcitizenlinda
    July 30, 2014 at 7:48 pm

Israel, Israel, Israel !!!!!!

39. July 30, 2014 at 7:49 pm

Though John would have a very difficult time admitting it, President Obama is definitely a 21st Century politician who avoids war (and ends those others started).

July 30, 2014 at 7:49 pm

Thanks Nerdy for this wonderful post detailing our President’s Kansas City visit and the warm reception he got from the people there. :)

41. 140 anniebella
    July 30, 2014 at 7:52 pm

Democrats it has been laid right in our laps, don’t get mad, get even VOTE in NOVEMBER.

42. July 30, 2014 at 7:54 pm

Currently, only the iron dome defensive weapon is being pushed in congress.
    It cost an additional 225 million for more missiles and batteries.
    If caches are stocked, it is from the bush administration, and 2000-2006 republican congress.
    This President has not provided any offensive weapons to Israel.
    But you won’t believe me , it goes against what you’re pushing daily.
    That the obama administration is supplying Israel with offensive weapons so they can slaughter Palestinians.
    That’s Absurd.
    So.., stop contacting the WH and of congress. It’s just not true.
    Ok ?

• July 30, 2014 at 7:59 pm

To whom is this addressed, Jovie. I’ve certainly never stated that President Obama is supplying (or even requesting) offensive weapons for Israel.

• 146 Vicki
        July 30, 2014 at 8:14 pm

Me neither, Bob. nospin has been calling for the US to stop funding arms sales to Israel. That sounds sane to me.

Jovie, on the other hand, is starting to sound like a shareholder in Military Sales, Inc. Calling Iron Dome a defensive weapon doesn’t change the fact of our tax money going to fund one side of a siege that is murderous by any measure. My remark about stockpiles in israel didn’t say who put them there either.

• July 30, 2014 at 8:22 pm

Well, iron dome has saved lives and we supply them with this and only this…
          Also, some here are calling the WH and congress to stop supplying Israel with weapons.
          What weapons?
          What the fuck are you talking about?

• July 30, 2014 at 8:25 pm

Also please give me an example of weapons being used against Palestinians coming from this congress and ultimately this WH?
            Otherwise, your phone calls to these places are incorrect and invalid!

43. July 30, 2014 at 7:55 pm

44. July 30, 2014 at 8:10 pm

They’re running out of time, the economy has recovered, the stock market is at all time highs, America is moving forward again. And they simply cannot, can not, allow that to be Obama’s legacy. He must be impeached and Boehner is testing the waters.