Jul

‘My Story Is The Story Of The Impossible Getting Done’

First Lady Michelle Obama addresses the Summit of the Washington Fellowship for Young African Leaders

• • •

Remarks by the First Lady at the Summit of the Mandela Washington Fellowship for Young African Leaders

“…. no matter where you all work, no matter what issue you focus on – whether it’s health or microfinance, human rights or clean energy – women’s equality must be a central part of your work.  It must. Because make no mistake about it, the work of transforming attitudes about women, it now falls on your shoulders. And it’s up to you all to embrace the future, and then drag your parents and grandparents along with you.

And I know this won’t be easy. I know that you will face all kinds of obstacles and resistance – you already have.  But when you get tired or frustrated, when things seem hopeless and you start thinking about giving up, I want you to remember the words of the man whom your fellowship is now named – and I know these words have been spoken many times.

As Madiba once said, “It always seems impossible until it is done.”

And I, oh, I know the truth of those words from my own history and from the history of my country.

My ancestors came here in chains. My parents and grandparents knew the sting of segregation and discrimination. Yet I attended some of the best universities in this country. I had career opportunities beyond my wildest dreams. And today, I live in the White House, a building — (applause) — but we must remember, we live in a home that was constructed by slaves.

Today, I watch my daughters – two beautiful African American girls – walking our dogs in the shadow of the Oval Office. And today, I have the privilege of serving and representing the United States of America across the globe.

So my story and the story of my country is the story of the impossible getting done. And I know that can be your story and that can be Africa’s story too. But it will take new energy, it will take new ideas, new leadership from young people like you.

We’ve done this because we believe in Africa, and we believe in all of you.  And understand we are filled with so much hope and so many expectations for what you will achieve.  You hold the future of your continent in your hands, and I cannot wait to see everything you will continue to accomplish in the years ahead.

Full transcript here

• • •

• • •

@JosephineKulea: Sitting next to you #FLOTUS round circle and listening your inspirational speech was the best moment

• • •

Text of Remarks by the First Lady Before a Roundtable with Young African Leaders here

• • •

63 Responses to “‘My Story Is The Story Of The Impossible Getting Done’”

1. July 30, 2014 at 7:59 pm

Boycott, Divest and Sanction.

As for the lawsuit, I think this is considered a compromise and a way to wash their hands with the Republicans. The last thing they want is a futile and noisy impeachment that goes nowhere. The lawsuit passes this onto the courts where it could be tied up for months if not years.

• July 30, 2014 at 8:07 pm

Congrats on 1st Carol!

Firstly, the House has no standing and it’s likely that whatever court it goes to will reject it, quickly. Secondly, the #teabagger crazies are not going to be the least bit assuaged and will ratchet their demands to impeach. In any event, Bonehead just motivated the Dems and Independents to clean House on 4Nov14.

2. July 30, 2014 at 7:59 pm

Good evening fellow miscreants.

3. July 30, 2014 at 7:59 pm

ALG is using Mitch McConnell’s sneaky attempt to put B-roll footage out for SuperPacs to use against him:

Koch brothers at it again:

No S**T

4. 12 Jeff
    July 30, 2014 at 8:00 pm

I was on facebook talking to once a friend of mine about the situation. She said it was justified because of the population of Palestinian children and such… I was moved beyond rage and will never talk to this evil person again.

5. July 30, 2014 at 8:02 pm

Think of it this way: an impeachment would pass on party lines in the House, but utterly fail in the Senate. And they can’t even agree on what to impeach him for, so it would be a double fail. But people would see who tried to impeach him, and some would be targeted for defeat if possible. A lawsuit means that the court would handle it instead and perhaps take the whole issue off the table until after the midterms.
    After the midterms, even more tactics could probably delay it until 2016, when it wouldn’t matter anymore. And if there’s a ruling against Obama, they could say it was the court’s fault.

6. July 30, 2014 at 8:06 pm

7. July 30, 2014 at 8:09 pm

8. 16 Judith Fardig
    July 30, 2014 at 8:14 pm

GRRR! I friggin’ hate Republicans, at least the ones in the current Congress. I agree with Bobfr that Bonehead really stepped in the shite on this one and will rue the day he gave Democrats such a fundraising tool.

9. July 30, 2014 at 8:20 pm

“…customers surprised at the slaw shortage, but understanding….” “….despite the slaw snafu” :cool:

10. July 30, 2014 at 8:26 pm

A post from one of my facebook friends saying “I just donated” got 50 replies with people saying “Me too and I’m voting!” practically instantaneously.

July 30, 2014 at 8:30 pm

I’m posting this tweet because I think it underscores a very critical issue about the nature of our current media. If you click on the video, you will see that the JazzChick is right in her disgust at the lack of press during an important House Dem conference after the GOP voted to sue PBO. When you have people like EJ Dionne (an MSNBC contributor) embarrassing himself by saying that “Don’t boo-vote” is a *new* PBO slogan, we have a big problem in our media. And as I keep telling folks, the problem is not just with FOX News….

July 30, 2014 at 8:34 pm

And I will make another related point – which is that if a single no-name Democrat from some small district in the midwest had something negative to say about PBO, you know that all the news stations would be on it like white on rice….yet, the media refuses to show this important solidarity among TOP HOUSE Dems in standing behind the President and calling out the GOP’s malfeasance.

Yeah…LIBRUL media my arse!

12. July 30, 2014 at 8:31 pm

James Carville belongs at FOX……his Democracy Corp. poll….President Obama is -110% disapproval!

July 30, 2014 at 8:32 pm

REALLY??? My blood is boiling! Between the stupid RW assholes in congress and this…we need to CRUSH THEM INTO OBLIVION in NOV!! I’m SO OVER THEM!

14. July 30, 2014 at 8:40 pm

15. 33 donna dem 4 obama
    July 30, 2014 at 8:43 pm

16. July 30, 2014 at 8:46 pm

I just got an email from one of the Democratic primary candidates fund-raising off the vote because of course our despicable R Senator voted for it. I can’t afford it, but I donated to him, after donating to the national Dems.

17. 35 JER
    July 30, 2014 at 8:46 pm

18. July 30, 2014 at 8:47 pm

Great use of taxpayer dollars….

***

19. July 30, 2014 at 8:48 pm

• 38 japa21
      July 30, 2014 at 9:08 pm

Have to admit, I have given more this year to various candidates and group than I have in any off year election. We all have to pull out all the stops.

• July 30, 2014 at 9:12 pm

Same for us, John!!

#OWNthe114th

Yes WE MUST

• 40 japa21
          July 30, 2014 at 9:21 pm

It was always easy, in the past, to say that we couldn’t afford the 5,10,20 dollars. And some people truly can’t. But skip a movie, eat macaroni and cheese a couple times instead of steak, whatever it takes. Because if you think you can’t afford it now, trust me, you won’t be able to afford anything if the GOP has its way.

• 43 HZ
          July 31, 2014 at 12:12 am

I am in and have been as well. So true japa: “Because if you think you can’t afford it now, trust me, you won’t be able to afford anything if the GOP has its way.” Japa, I just uttered these exact words to my niece this past week. They get it as well. She is spreading the word and has as usual committed to getting her friends and her community out to vote by coming and driving others to the polls.

She also said that they had a system last time where there told each other to not move out of their lines unless they were passing out. They had a system to check on people in line and to make sure they had snacks and water for hours. I am pretty proud of these young adults as we all are. HZ

20. 44 99ts
    July 30, 2014 at 8:55 pm

Hi TODers – what amazing posts there have been today – even the stupid of the GOP in the house cannot take away the enjoyment of reading everything. I especially loved the post on Linda Ronstadt – every last thing she said about the President is what I have tried to say (& somewhat failed due to lack of literacy skills).

PBO will be always and ever remembered as a passionate, loving, intelligent and worthy President – John Boehner will ever be remembered as the worst speaker in history – led around by people so dumbed down by racial hatred they have no understanding of how they are so badly impacting their own lives.

21. 45 anniebella
    July 30, 2014 at 9:03 pm

Love reading FLOTUS speech, it was fantastic as usual. And it look like her audience loved her.

22. 49 99ts
    July 30, 2014 at 9:16 pm

Rachel says the media is being played at the Bob McDonnell trial – but as usual – the media is supporting the GOP governor. Just imagine how the media would be addressing this trial if it was a democratic Governor – the media is surely obscene in their support of the GOP – just obscene.

23. 52 GGAIL
    July 30, 2014 at 9:26 pm

I see this has been an awesome day for the Dynamic Duo known as POTUS & FLOTUS!

24. July 30, 2014 at 9:30 pm

We’re among friends. You can admit if you’re watching “Sharknado 2: Electric Boogaloo”

July 30, 2014 at 9:33 pm

26. July 30, 2014 at 9:33 pm

This is just pathetic.

July 30, 2014 at 9:37 pm

Taxpayers pay this woman’s salary. $176,000/year plus bennies and perks. Holy hell on a stick!!

Bachmann: Obama Wants To Bring In Migrant Children For Medical Research

I KNOW! Why can’t we bring all these idiots that slander/ cheat and lie up on charges of defrauding the taxpayers and hold THEM accountable! OMG…I tell you, I’m at my wits end.

• 57 Layla
      July 30, 2014 at 9:47 pm

P.K. McBurroughs • 3 hours ago

Although unlikely, I hope Bachman plans to leave her body to science one day, because, frankly, her brain needs to be dissected and studied by a team of neurologists, their findings published in prestigious medical journals and then used to develop some sort of anti-Bachman vaccine that could be administered to everyone on the planet. I say this despite the fact that childhood vaccinations, as Bachman herself claims, frequently lead directly to mental retardation. And communism. And Satan. And gay.

July 30, 2014 at 11:10 pm

You know Michele Bachmann says she is a Christian, and the last time I look a Christian does it’s best not to lie. But it is clear Mrs. Bachmann doesn’t pay attention to that, because all that battie woman do is lie. She is a disgrace.

28. July 30, 2014 at 9:39 pm

BRAVO: Today Deval Patrick signed into law a measure that remedies the Supreme Court McCullen v. Coakley decision and reinstates a buffer zone, allowing police to order anti-abortion protesters away from clinic entrances if their presence impedes access.

RSS OFA