Aug

Night Owl Chat: The Neil Young Conversion

So, I never liked Neil Young. Not that I knew a whole lot about his music, but when I shared a room with my older sister in my lickel days, she placed a large poster of him over my bed, on my sacred side of the room, and I resented his hairy head thereafter.

Then, some time later, a work buddy pronounced his love for Neil.

“Na,” I said.

Some more time later. Ring, ring. The same work buddy.

“You’re coming with me to see Neil in Dublin, I have the tickets.”

“Gosh, thanks,” I said, while gnawing my knuckles.

The concert.

Well, a bit magnificent.

So, I spent 93.24% of my wages on Neil Young albums over the next six-ish months.

My work buddy was insufferable. “Told ya.”

PS I played this version of ‘Like a Hurricane’ for my super polite nephew a few years’ back, when he was seven-ish, on the way in the car to a Coldplay concert.

After a while.

Super polite nephew: “Does it ever end?”

Back in the car after the concert, ‘Like a Hurricane’ resumed on the CD player (ancient times).

Super polite nephew: “Nooooooooo! WANT CLOCKS!1!1!”

Young people. :roll:

115 Responses to “Night Owl Chat: The Neil Young Conversion”

August 2, 2014 at 9:22 pm

furst.

and I am off to home. You can all relax for another 5 hours.

2. 14 MightyPamela
    August 2, 2014 at 9:23 pm

I always felt a bit sorry for those who didn’t get Neil Young, maybe you had to be Canadian?

• August 2, 2014 at 9:35 pm

A week after I first landed to live in Australia, Rust Never Sleeps was the first movie I saw. My feet didn’t touch the ground for at least a week, and it wasn’t jet lag, as I’d only come from NZ! ;)

3. August 2, 2014 at 9:23 pm

I’m pretty sure I’ve done a Neil Young night owl chat. Because I always had good taste. :roll:

4. August 2, 2014 at 9:25 pm

Um, er, what are lickel days? Should I know?

5. August 2, 2014 at 9:25 pm

After the thrashing in the woodshed the teabaggers administered to John Boehner and his abject capitulation, the cheers on the House floor when the “Deport all Latino immigrants” bill was passed, there can be no doubt to the Latino community in this country about how the GOP feels about them, and about who their true friends are.

6. 25 globalcitizenlinda
    August 2, 2014 at 9:31 pm

a tweet with a link to voter registration deadlines per state;

as i mentioned earlier today, these deadlines are very important because if you are not registered by the deadline, you can’t vote – no matter how motivated you are to do so by then;

please spread the world to your family, friends and networks;

August 2, 2014 at 9:31 pm

:?:

8. August 2, 2014 at 9:32 pm

9. August 2, 2014 at 9:35 pm

I have liked Neil Young’s music. But I haven’t liked his politics. Although Canadian he is libertarian in his politics. Not much compassion there.

10. August 2, 2014 at 9:36 pm

I haven’t had any luck with my movie selections today :( …….any suggestions?

Must watch acceptance speech by Bruce Springsteen:

11. August 2, 2014 at 9:43 pm

August 2, 2014 at 9:45 pm

Not a big Neil Young fan myself…though I AM a fan of CSNY :)

• August 2, 2014 at 9:50 pm

Could not have been CSNY without that 4th dimension Neil brought to the stage!

• 38 arapaho415
      August 2, 2014 at 10:16 pm

I was a HUGE Buffalo Springfield fan (before your time, sorry) and my favorite songs were penned by Neil Young and sung by Richie Furay, who alas, is now a RWNJ I believe.

Someone asked me what music was played in the dorms when I was at UCLA (early 1970s) and the winner by far was CSN (Young hadn’t joined the group then). I remember this because I had to climb over 300 stairs to get my dorm at the top of the hill (the furthest from campus, at the top of hill) — I did this 3 times a day, didn’t eat dorm food (my roommate got food poisoning) and when I visited my high school that summer, they were concerned about my well-being. The most I’ve weighed is 110, and I lost so much weight — had no idea what the “freshman 15″ was — I think it’s an east coast expression because in the west we’ve got mountains to climb… literally.

13. 47 Nerdy Wonka
    August 2, 2014 at 10:03 pm

Is Neil Young the guy who sang Sweet Caroline or something like that?

I’m with your nephew. Coldplay any day, anytime.

Coldplay is good music. Coldplay is cool people music. Coldplay is music for the soul.

Coldplay freaking ROCKS.

14. 56 Nena20409
    August 2, 2014 at 10:11 pm

Great Toons. Was about to call it a night and I read this.

This fits with the Toons on the debacle in AZ.

August 2, 2014 at 10:22 pm

Injected 15 times. WoW.

August 2, 2014 at 10:54 pm

Yes…we have condoned torture in this state! Can you even fucking imagine???!! Gasping for air and writhing for 2 DAMN HOURS!! Yet there are those in this state (Brewer and her cohorts) that think that this was absolutely fine. Not a problem at all. Completely within reason but she’ll check things out… Really? She’s a freaking radiology tech, not a damn DOCTOR! When did she get to proclaim that all was fine? I hate this. I HATE THIS.

15. 61 globalcitizenlinda
    August 2, 2014 at 10:20 pm

not surprised that some right-wingers are already blaming PBO (and Soros) for Ebola – can’t make this crap up;

even those “small government people” who previously didn’t know or support CDC are suddenly concerned about PBO “giving permission to return” the infected doctor;

they are sending demonstrating their ill-informed knowledge of threats of potential exposure;

expecting this nonsense to grow;

August 2, 2014 at 10:26 pm

Does it shock me about those right wingers? No, sad to say these people have allow their racists hate to block any sense they might have had, that is providing they ever had any sense.

16. 63 arapaho415
    August 2, 2014 at 10:23 pm

One last comment about Neil Young.

His “After the Goldrush” was the one of the most anticipated album releases in 1970, which occurred shortly after James Taylor’s “Sweet Baby James.”

I don’t know about his politics, but he’s always been an environmental activist — recently spoke on behalf of the First Canadians against Tar Sands removal and consider the lyrics of “After the Gold Rush:”

… look at Mother Nature on the run in the ninety seventies…

I’ve seen a video on YouTube where Tom Petty performs this and changes it to “the 21st century”

17. 64 globalcitizenlinda
    August 2, 2014 at 10:25 pm

18. August 2, 2014 at 10:31 pm

While I will never be in a position of authority on the matter, my humble conclusion after observing events since 1967, is that the only hope for peace in the ME and particularly peace for Jews and Palestinians is a jointly governed, single state based on the geographic boundaries of Palestine as it existed prior to UN action in 1947. Recognizing the demographics, my formula for a democratic state is compacted to 140 characters in this tweet …

A ‘two state solution’ has been impractical since the 1967 war and now simply seems absurd to me.

#TrustBarack

• 66 Vicki
      August 2, 2014 at 10:51 pm

I totally agree with this, Bob. One state, a democratic state, shared governance with 50/50 parliament can work. The Two-state solution was a sham and a slogan right along with the Israel only wants Peace and Security gibberish.

The stumbling block is that the colonial occupation model has been working pretty well for the Israelis. Privilege will not yield easily.

The siege and massacre occuring now is different from the previous conflicts in that Israel has been forced to pay a price. 60+ soldiers killed and airline industry shaken. How long can even the smothering omnipresent propaganda work when loss is touching more and more Israeli families?

I am not an authority either,Bob, but the lies have become so transparent we are all able to see a lot more clearly. Surely the unraveling of the status quo is closer now than it was before.

• August 2, 2014 at 11:02 pm

“…. but the lies have become so transparent we are all able to see a lot more clearly. Surely the unraveling of the status quo is closer now than it was before.”

Quite true, Vicki.

Yes, ‘privilege will not yield easily,’ but reality is that if Israelis (more and more of whom are Arabs) want a sustainable peace, then I truly see no other geopolitical, democratic solution.

#TrustBarack

• August 3, 2014 at 7:04 am

You know what , Bob, your proposal makes a whole lot of sense.Rational people, who are genuinely interested on bringing peace to the Israelis and Palestinians should embrace it. Sadly,however, there is absolutely no way Israelis — and especially the rabid Zionists–would be willing to accept the one state solution that treats Israelis and Palestinian as equals. At the same time, the same rabid Zionists, who passionately believe that all of the land of Palestine belongs to the Jewish people, vehemently oppose the creation of any Independent Sovereign Palestine country, ruled Palestinian Arabs. I also don’t see how the United States can dictate a solution to the Israeli-Plalestinian conflict, given the strong influence on the U.S. government wielded by the supporters of Israel.

Generally, I am a very optimistic person. But I just can’t envision a solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict so long as Israelis are committed to the Preservation of a Jewish State, with a sizable number of them committed to the Idea that the Jewish state should comprise all of Palestine. I wish Palestinians, and Hamas in particular, would give up the silly idea that they can, through the use of ineffective rockets, wage a war of Independence against the Powerful Israeli military. I think the only way Palestinians can pressure Israel, to either grant them their own country or accept them as equals in the same country, is by waging a courageous non-violent struggle against Israel. Right now, instead of focusing on the deplorable oppression of Palestinians by Israelis, many people in the world are focused on condemning Hamas’s crude ineffective and stupid rocket attacks against innocent Israelis. A non-violence struggle would compel the world to focus on the oppression, and indignities, being inflicted on Palestinians by Israel.

19. August 2, 2014 at 10:36 pm

Very true …

20. August 2, 2014 at 10:37 pm

Good ….

• 71 Jeff
      August 2, 2014 at 10:45 pm

So enforce a government on many who may not want that government… I cannot agree with that, but I want to see these people let go. The Egyptian government is never to be trusted upon their word alone. I’ve talked to a couple of Egyptians and they heavily dislike/distrust the new government.

• 72 Vicki
        August 2, 2014 at 10:55 pm

Jeff, I don’t understand your objection. Egypt is opposed to Hamas. They will open the Rafah Gate if Fatah is the monitoring force. Sounds good to me. What am I missing?

• 73 Jeff
          August 2, 2014 at 10:57 pm

Sigh, because it’s the same lies they’ve spewed before. It looks good on the surface by everyone else’s reckoning, but its horrible to force the people to have a government that they may not want. It doesn’t matter I just want the fighting and death to stop on Gaza.

• 74 Vicki
            August 2, 2014 at 11:03 pm

Me, too. Fatah and hamas together is not a bad thing. Any agreement that eases the blockade or siege is to be welcomed.

• August 2, 2014 at 11:05 pm

Jeff, Vicki is correct. Moreover, the Palestinian Authority and Hamas agreed to form a unity government. What Egypt is reinforcing is that the Palestinian Authority is now a trusted partner for peace – that is good for all Palestinians, except those who want to continue on a path of literally, in their own words, being committed to killing EVERY JEW on the planet. That is Hamas’ perpetually stated objective and it is intolerable, just as ISIS/ISIL and Hezbollah are intolerable.

August 3, 2014 at 12:26 am

Thank you for that informed comment, Bob. And to all the others who are giving us food for thought.

21. 77 sabreen60
    August 2, 2014 at 10:38 pm

Barney Frank publicly called President Obama a liar. He said the President “lied” when he told people they could keep their insurance if they liked it. My twitter response was obviously President Obama didn’t know that stupid ass people would want to keep their crappy insurance and that Frank is throwing “liar” around like his obvious BFF Joe Wilson. Yuk :)

• 78 sabreen60
      August 2, 2014 at 10:39 pm

I meant :( :(

• August 2, 2014 at 10:57 pm

Can I finally reveal how much I don’t like/didn’t like Barney Frank. I know he was some’s idea of a real liberal who could affect change, but I always found him to be a bit dramatic. Truth is, I don’t trust anybody until they’ve shown their true colors after quite a while. I give em all a very long rope, don’t jump on anyone’s bandwagon till it turns the bend, so to speak. The one and only politico I’ve ever endorsed immediately was Barack Obama. I can’t say I am disappointed. And no need for me to condition my support by saying he’s not perfect, because none of us are. Only the God I believe in is perfect. Good for you for hitting back.

August 3, 2014 at 12:18 am

I feel pretty much this same way about some of the Democratic “headliners.” I can honestly say that President Obama has never disappointed me, plus I have a deal with him. I don’t expect him to be perfect, and he has the same expectations for me.

All kidding aside, not that I was kidding, I believe God has blessed President Obama with enough positive attributes that he can just go out and “be himself” and still make the rest of us look like … well, I won’t finish that. :)

• August 2, 2014 at 11:03 pm

I saw that too and I couldn’t believe it. What does he have to gain by this??

• August 3, 2014 at 7:13 am

Barney Frank is still mad because he was not appointed by Gov. Patrick to the U.S. Senate to replace John Kerry. Like many privileged white people he just couldn’t imagine that not every one was dazzled with his brilliance!

22. August 2, 2014 at 10:41 pm

So TODAY I found out that MANCHESTER UNITED was playing Real Madrid in University of Michigan stadium, about 40 MINUTES FROM MY HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!!!!1!1! I COULD HAVE GONE!! IF I’D HAD $175 FOR A TICKET….oh wait. Anyway, my daughter lives there and I was briefly visiting her today, so that was my brush with greatness. :( Good news: Man U 3 – RM 1 :) :)

23. August 2, 2014 at 10:42 pm

Supposedly because weapons grade explosives were being produced in the chemistry department ….

Would seem unlikely since one would have expected the building to be leveled by secondary explosions.

• August 2, 2014 at 11:00 pm

With the massive destruction of the incredibly old, historically classic cities, the legends, the beauty, how can any of it ever be replaced or restored? As the civilization is destroyed, so little of the enduring memory can be salvaged.

24. 87 Jeff
    August 2, 2014 at 10:43 pm

Protests about Gaza at white house… I am troubled now :(

• 88 Vicki
      August 2, 2014 at 10:56 pm

Again, Jeff. I don’t get this comment.

• 89 Jeff
        August 2, 2014 at 10:58 pm

I just hope they see that the president is on their side is all.

• 90 Vicki
          August 2, 2014 at 11:00 pm

OK. I get that. i don’t think PBO would be dismayed by this protest, but what do I know….

• 91 Jeff
            August 2, 2014 at 11:04 pm

you’re totally right… I think his heart is with the people of Gaza right now. Diplomacy is one of the hardest thing to achieve and the president is considering his options on how to deal with Israel.

• August 2, 2014 at 11:03 pm

As usual, they are at the wrong end of town. They should be standing around the Capitol, except the lights are off and all the sausages have gone home to relax. I agree with Vicki below.

• 93 nospin
      August 3, 2014 at 9:44 pm

Jeff – that is the right thing to do. This means American citizens want the violence to stop and we do not want US tax paper dollars funding Bibi’s wars.

• 94 nospin
      August 3, 2014 at 9:46 pm

personally, I think this gives POTUS and his administration cover to say…THIS is what the people want. We need to do more of this in order to break the status quo. Protest loud and clear to highlight the disconnect with Congress funding this crap.

25. 95 globalcitizenlinda
    August 2, 2014 at 11:02 pm

so Senator Turtle (McConnell) and his challenger Democrat & KY’s AG Ms Alison Lundergan Grimes spoke today at 134th Annual Fancy Farm Picnic;

the event was billed as the official kick-off of the 2014 Senate race;

if you are curious to hear what Ms Alison Lundergan Grimes had to say with turtle sitting next to her, then you can watch the C-SPAN video at this link. She starts speaking at about 1.32 time stamp;

26. 102 MadameSoph
    August 2, 2014 at 11:04 pm

Chips,

I work weekends and I come home and catch up on posts, often just commenting to myself :-) So, I wanted to post on a current thread where you would see this. Thank you so much for your comments in “Do Palestinians Really Exist/Jewish People Disinherited of Pity”

The news and images out of Gaza have been heartbreaking and horrible. Netanyahu’s government is a disgrace. But what has also saddened me greatly is all of the talk about “The Jews”, much/most of it just thinly-veiled talking points from the same-old prejudices. I keep screaming at my computer screen when I see comments on Bibi’s disgusting war that recycle the same old “Jews control the media” or “Jews have all the money” hatefulness and conflating Israel with all Jews and all Jews with each other. It’s like when folks talk as if all Arabs are terrorists, or all Muslims are secret Jihadists, or fundamentalists. Or all (insert name of group) are (insert stereotype).

I have friends in Italy and one thing I have noticed is that the far right in Italy (and much of Europe) and the far left both come together in their hatred of and stereotypes of Jewish people. The left often masks it in the very just cause of the Palestinian people and Israel’s occupation.

I have a friend who was born in Israel and believe, me not all Israelis support Bibi. I remember how shameful it was to be an American when those pictures from Abu Gareb came out. I didn’t vote for Bush, but much of the world’s hate was directed my way, just because I am American. I have American friends who are of Jewish descent, some have never been or may never go to Israel. Most of them are liberal, not of them are rich, none control the media and many are not even religious. My best friend’s kids are half black and half Jewish. Their grandma prays to Jesus before every meal and their liberal surfer non-religious dad taught them how to light a menorah. He hates Netanyahu.

Thank you for your lovely reminder that sometimes people from a particular group do hateful or stupid or unjust things, but we should never let the actions of some make us hateful toward everyone who shares their ancestry.

And thank you for the reminder that one does not have to negate one atrocity in the name of calling out another.

And thanks, as always, for this place. I’ll leave with my nightly prayer:
    May the citizens of the world and the leaders of the world, no matter what their intent, work together with our President to bring about a future, beginning in this present moment, filled with love, compassion, tolerance, prosperity, progress and peace for all people.

August 2, 2014 at 11:08 pm

MadameSoph – Your comment was incredibly meaningful to me, and – I’m sure – to many, many others. Well said. Thank you.

August 2, 2014 at 11:09 pm

Such a great comment:) thanks for this.

• August 2, 2014 at 11:10 pm

“That is why I am so angry with Netanyahu and the right-wing of Israel. They are giving those who would hate Jews for their ancestry or religion cover and seeming legitimacy. I have friends who are Americans of Palestinian, Lebanese and Iranian descent and none of them are terrorists/jihadists/religious extremists; they are regular people just trying to get by and live life.”

So very true, MadameSoph!!

• 106 99ts
      August 2, 2014 at 11:33 pm

Such a lovely post – thank you MadameSoph

• August 3, 2014 at 8:10 am

Thanks, MadameSoph for your excellent comment. You articulated so well everything I feel. I get so distressed when people view what is going on in Gaza as a continuation of the enmity between Jews and Muslims that has gone on for centuries. Such claims are absolutely untrue. Jews and Arab Muslims have lived peacefully together for centuries, both in Southern Europe and the Middle East. incidentally, both Jews and Arabs are classified as semitic people; and both Judaism and Islam trace their religious origins to Abraham.

August 2, 2014 at 11:05 pm

Ah, Neil. Son, an avid bass player (he informs me it’s inappropriate to add “guitar” after “bass), sat me down in a chair next to him at his computer one night (he was in his late 30s) to force feed Neil’s music to me. I was told to watch his hands while he played. Ha. Seemed to go on for hours. Always amazed me that my son liked the same music my generation liked, including Neil, but then it dawned on me that I was the one who had previously force fed it all to him!

28. August 2, 2014 at 11:08 pm

This is a fascinating interview with President Obama, audio and transcript. He is so intelligent and has so much understanding of all the issues involved from the mundane like roads to Asia as a model, China and France in Africa. What America can do better than anyone. So many issues that come up in relation to this. This interview is a gold mine of information. It’s SO good!!!

There is audio in this article, this is the YouTube of the audio alone https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vk50tzc6QS8

….Barack Obama: I think America is not going to do it alone, but I think America can be central in moving Africa into the next stage of growth and integrating it into the world economy in a way in which it’s benefitting the people of Africa and it’s not just a source of natural resources.

And there are a couple of reasons why I think America can be central in this process….

….And finally, what’s fascinating about African development is the opportunities that they have to leapfrog certain technologies and skip certain phases of development, and we are very good at the technologies that allow countries to potentially leapfrog development. So a classic example being in the telecommunications sector. We invented smartphones and there are smartphones everywhere in Africa…

RSS OFA