Aug

US – Africa Leaders Summit

@dougmillsnyt: Running late… [President] Obama jogs on stage for his press conference at the US-Africa Summit.

• • •

Read more on the Summit here

• • •

President Barack Obama speaks during a news conference following the Africa Leaders Summit

“Sit down, Benghazi Boy.”

2014-08-06T174129Z_569106000_GM1EA8704MD01_RTRMADP_3_AFRICA-SUMMIT

President Barack Obama and more than 50 African officials wave as they gather for a family photo for the U.S.-Africa Leaders Summit at the U.S. State Department

• • •

Text of the President’s remarks here

• • •

@dougmillsnyt: President Obama jokes with President Boni Yayi of Benin during the U.S.-Africa Leaders Summit

0dd023ccb668091e5c0f6a7067005ece

President Barack Obama, with President Mohamed Ould Abdel Aziz of Mauritania, left, and Mozambique’s President Armando Emilio Guebuza, participates in the US African Leaders Summit

• • •

Laura Bush and First Lady Michelle Obama participate in a Spousal Symposium at the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts

Text of the First Lady’s remarks here

2f5d9ba0b603071e5c0f6a706700172f

14658357580_db0175abab_k

President Barack Obama delivers remarks at the U.S.-Africa Leaders Summit Session One on “Investing in Africa’s Future,” at the U.S. Department of State (More here)

14841966971_ee6d9074e5_k

Part-WAS-Was8856233-1-1-0

14845046965_b6e665576c_k

President Barack Obama greets Mozambique’s President Armando Guebuza

• • •

President Barack Obama shares a laugh with Ambassador Susan Rice, the President’s National Security Advisor, during a lunch he hosted for over 50 African leaders and their delegations at the U.S.-Africa Leaders Summit

• • •

144 Responses to “US – Africa Leaders Summit”

1. 16 Dudette
    August 6, 2014 at 10:39 pm

No Way! :-D

2. 19 Vicki
    August 6, 2014 at 10:40 pm

Congrats, Dudette. I am content with a top ten spot.

August 6, 2014 at 10:41 pm

furst.

August 6, 2014 at 10:41 pm

I think I’ll have to sign out soon – this think keeps freezing up, and I really don’t blame it. It has worked hard today.

August 6, 2014 at 10:41 pm

6. 37 japa21
    August 6, 2014 at 10:42 pm

Where’s the foot stomper, sigher, impatient one? And I’m not talking about vc.

7. August 6, 2014 at 10:42 pm

I am imbibing the most EXCELLENT Oregon pinot noir. I may go back to Trader Joe’s tomorrow and get a couple more bottles.

8. August 6, 2014 at 10:43 pm

9. August 6, 2014 at 10:45 pm

This is totally OT, but I just noticed that Twitter no longer displays the number of followers a person has.

I’ve said before that I don’t criticize a free service, but Twitter, WTH???

What could they have possibly been thinking to make such a change?

Or is it just me, an operator error?

August 6, 2014 at 10:48 pm

Oh, NW, these are all great – but, of course, my two favorites are “Sit down, Benghazi Boy,” and the one where the President’s laughing with Amb. Susan Rice! Love her.

August 6, 2014 at 10:51 pm

That’s a huuuge table.

12. August 6, 2014 at 10:52 pm

August 6, 2014 at 10:53 pm

14. 73 Dudette
    August 6, 2014 at 10:54 pm

A brief moment of silent… uh, moment’s over! :-)

15. August 6, 2014 at 10:55 pm

Aloha, Susanne, if you’re here.

Others in TODville have reported this, but the Big Island is being targeted by two tropical storms, one from the west, and another from the east.

@LATimes had a story about this on their home page but it’s not there now.

Hope both storms miss the islands. According to the radio the biggest concern is food deliveries to the Big Island (which relies mostly on food shipped in from elsewhere).

16. August 6, 2014 at 10:56 pm

August 6, 2014 at 11:01 pm

In the picture with the leaders, are they all wearing a lapel pin representing their own country, or what? Seems unusual they would all have come wearing their own flag pin.

August 6, 2014 at 11:04 pm

vc…make sure that your computer has good airflow…cold that be why it wants to be done working??? I prop my laptop on a paperback so the air can circulate around it.

August 6, 2014 at 11:14 pm

TY, Df. I do have a ‘new’ stand but it’s downstairs and I’m too lazy to go get it; and anyway I never got its fan to work since I bought it a week/two ago. Problem is I threw out the box and the instruction sheet as soon as I opened it, assuming that all I’d need to do is plug it into the laptop. By the time I did try to plug it in 2 days later I got no fan response. It can raise the laptop though for natural air to circulate around.

August 6, 2014 at 11:18 pm

Yes…raise it up with a book that’s the right height for you to be comfortable when you use it…if I don’t have the book under mine, it feels weird now :) You can always get the instructions for your particular computer online to see what you need to know. Just sayin’ sweetness!

August 6, 2014 at 11:27 pm

:roll: Never thought of checking online for the instructions for the laptop stand/fan. Duh? I’m definitely not a child of the 21st C. Will do so tomorrow when the name, model# etc will be readily accessible.

• 84 amk for obama
          August 6, 2014 at 11:20 pm

Only you can make even a fan lose its cool.

August 6, 2014 at 11:03 pm

pee, poo, pow.

darnit. #missedit.

19. August 6, 2014 at 11:04 pm

20. August 6, 2014 at 11:05 pm

21. 99 GGAIL
    August 6, 2014 at 11:07 pm

Chips, thanks for being our connection to this historic Summit.

We <3 TOD!

August 6, 2014 at 11:07 pm

You know what I would really like to see? Whenever these msm idjits ask silly, irrelevant questions, PBO should tell them it’s a silly irrelevant question and move on to the next nut.

August 6, 2014 at 11:37 pm

He can do that nicely without actually saying the words, as we’ve seen. Sad part is that one time in a million those pukes in the MSM might get the story out to the American people, so the President remains gracious. In my head, I hear the old gong from The Gong Show being hit every time one of ‘em asks a question.

• 102 amk for obama
        August 6, 2014 at 11:40 pm

I know. But at least once in a while, it might be better just to call out these hating morons.

August 6, 2014 at 11:55 pm

Wish it could be so. I’m afraid they still wouldn’t realize they’re all hacks, and change their ways. They’d be too busy saying he yelled at ‘em.

August 6, 2014 at 11:44 pm

x2
      I was envisioning something similar today, Amk. However, instead of using your words, and being called uppity /arrogant etc, I was thinking of him asking, ‘Do you have a question related to the topic of the presser?’ Or saying something like, ‘As a courtesy to our invited guests, would you stick with questions that do not ignore their presence?’
      :grin: Of course he’d still be labeled ‘uppity’, but it was great imagining.

• 105 99ts
      August 7, 2014 at 1:34 am

Gov Christie does exactly that and the media says what a great guy he is – imagine the response if PBO did the same

• 106 Nena20409
        August 7, 2014 at 1:52 pm

POTUS is President and presidential.

Christie is a bully that the Media loves to cuddle. The fluffy has a lot of fluff that the Media needs to cuddle ;)

23. August 6, 2014 at 11:11 pm

Ooo, just blocked a supposed “liberal” who think PBO has his share of blame for the current toxic politics. @Dogacracy

August 6, 2014 at 11:11 pm

I think if we could take country names, mine would be Mozambique. Damn, this wine is tasty.

August 6, 2014 at 11:23 pm

Maybe THAT was part of the WHPC problem with the African countries summit…they couldn’t pronounce their names! We better just ignore this historic meeting because…tongue won’t work and brain doesn’t function!

August 6, 2014 at 11:31 pm

Love these late-night revelations on TOD! Ha. :)

But I sure don’t love the WHPC, the crowd which doesn’t need ice cream to get hit with a bad case of brain freeze ~ right in the middle of a global press conference. Yuck.

25. 116 Dudette
    August 6, 2014 at 11:12 pm

26. August 6, 2014 at 11:21 pm

Laptop battery at 4%, but power wire thingie three feet away #FirstWorldProblems

27. 120 Dudette
    August 6, 2014 at 11:26 pm

… but wait: http://bit.ly/1uoZg5x :-)

28. 121 JER
    August 6, 2014 at 11:26 pm

August 6, 2014 at 11:32 pm

Yes, priorities indeed. Let’s get er done…

29. August 6, 2014 at 11:31 pm

Some folk definitely get it …

30. 129 Dudette
    August 6, 2014 at 11:31 pm

Just watched Wu-Tang Clan reunion on The Daily Show! AWESOME!

August 6, 2014 at 11:34 pm

Holy Cow!! http://www.courant.com/health/hc-uninsured-rates-drop-20140806,0,7363126.story

HARTFORD — The number of people in Connecticut without health insurance has dropped by 50 percent since 2012, according to research findings released Wednesday by the state’s health insurance exchange.

Access Health CT, the state-run onlinehealth insurance marketplace created under the federal Affordable Care Act, has enrolled more than 256,000 state residents in private health plans or Medicaid since the website launched last fall.

CEO Kevin Counihan said at a press conference with the governor Wednesday that the percentage of state residents who lack health coverage dropped from 7.9 percent at the start of the open enrollment period to 4 percent now. About 286,000 residents did not have insurance before the launch of the marketplace, and 147,000 in the state are still without coverage.

“Nobody expected us to be down to 4 percent,” said Counihan, who compared the figure to those of European countries with national health insurance, where uninsured rates hover around 2 percent to 3 percent. He said effective operations and outreach “resulted in one of the lowest uninsured rates of any other state in the country.”

Awesome news! Guess who’s fault!!

32. 131 Dudette
    August 6, 2014 at 11:35 pm

Never watched The Larry Sanders Show, so I didn’t realize this was life imitating art!

33. 132 Dudette
    August 6, 2014 at 11:43 pm

August 6, 2014 at 11:45 pm

35. 134 Dudette
    August 6, 2014 at 11:45 pm

36. 135 Dudette
    August 6, 2014 at 11:48 pm

37. 140 Dudette
    August 6, 2014 at 11:50 pm

38. 142 HZ
    August 6, 2014 at 11:55 pm

First, thank you Nerdy W., for again giving us such a lovely array of beautiful photos of these events taking place throughout this great administration. You are so appreciated by me, Nerdy W.
    Another miss for me: A lovely belated Happy Birthday to our CollegeKay and to our lovely GoBrooklyn. I hope your celebrations were wonderful.

Amk. I want one of the cute ones in the family unit. Have you named them?

CarolMae, you were on my mind so heavily last evening. I am so elated to see that you were here today. I hope all is going well with your recovery. CarolMae, I am so grateful that Chips presented this place for this beautiful TOD family. I have always felt that our TOD family was meant to be together. We have this sweet connection to each other that there are unique times when we think of each other, and then the next day, the person shows up in the most wonderful moment. {{{{{{{{{{Lots of loving hugs from my space to yours.}}}}}}}}}}}}.

Goodnight to my Chips and my handsome grandson, Danny. And a lots of loving appreciation to you Chips for being such a strength of true respect and support to PBO. You give me continued hope, Chips by keeping this space with such grace that is so important for PBO. Our TOD family will keep his back and we surely will continue to take very good care of our health so that we will be able to do the hard work that will be expected of each of us in Nov. As Bobfr reminds us: #Together We Will and #TrustBarack.

39. 143 Nena20409
    August 7, 2014 at 1:57 pm

Excellent post NW. Thank you.