Aug

A Heckuva Train Wreck

Reuters: New Medicaid enrollments top 7 million under Obamacare

More than seven million Americans have gained health coverage through government programs including Medicaid since enrollment in Obamacare health insurance was launched October 1, the U.S. administration said on Friday.

The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) said 7.2 million new participants in Medicaid and the Children’s Health Insurance Program by June brought overall Medicaid enrollment to 66 million people.

The enrollees include uninsured Americans who gained coverage through traditional Medicaid, as well as a special Medicaid expansion in 26 of the 50 U.S. states under President Barack Obama’s Affordable Care Act.

…. A recent study in the New England Journal of Medicine estimated that 10.3 million uninsured Americans have gained coverage through the marketplaces and Medicaid, resulting in a 5.2 percentage point drop in the U.S. uninsured rate since last September.

More here

106 Responses to “A Heckuva Train Wreck”

1. 1 Vicki
    August 8, 2014 at 11:52 am

Obamacare!!!!!!

2. 7 GGail
    August 8, 2014 at 11:53 am

Good West Coast morning Chipsticks & TOD family.

I’m losing the playing catch-up battle :-)

I like my consolation prize tho’ :wink:

August 8, 2014 at 11:54 am

Chips, can I ask a gentle favor for the next thread? Bob has posted a series of tweets featuring positive responses to our President’s recent authorizations in Iraq, and the ongoing processes in Afghanistan and elsewhere…could you (or Nerdy) front-page those tweets? Merci beaucoup!

4. August 8, 2014 at 11:55 am

5. August 8, 2014 at 11:56 am

6. August 8, 2014 at 11:57 am

7. 18 japa21
    August 8, 2014 at 11:58 am

Train wrecks like these we can use more often.

8. August 8, 2014 at 11:59 am

Thanks again, Bobfr!! News we can use, for a change.

9. August 8, 2014 at 12:00 pm

• 22 SUE DUVALL SMITH
      August 8, 2014 at 1:23 pm

RE:G.W…………….I HAVE NO WORDS…OTHER THAN TO TELL YOU THAT THE WORLD SUFFERED WHEN THIS ‘—————-‘FILL IN THE BLANK WAS IN THE WHITEHOUSE SCRAPING HIS OWN———————–OFF HIS WRINKLED COWBOY BOOTS OR WERE THOSE HIS SOX! HE COULDN’T WAIT FOR PBO TO ENTER THE OVAL OFFICE AND FIND ALL THE —————–HE LEFT BEHIND! THE MAN PRACTICALLY FLEW THE CHOPPER HIMSELF …HE WAS SO ANXIOUS O GET OUT OF THERE AND MOVE TO HIS PRIVATE ABODE IN DALLAS…I WONDER IF HE FALLS OFF THAT COUCH. ONE OF THESE DAYS HIS NEIGHBORHOOD GARBAGE MEN WILL PICK HIM UP BY MISTAKE AND THE ONLY WAY THEY WILL ADMIT TO IT IS IF WE WATERBOARD THEM….NEXT….

10. August 8, 2014 at 12:08 pm

Chicago folks..

Remember..

Saturday, August 9, 2014

Bud Billiken Parade

Get out there and party!!

August 8, 2014 at 12:09 pm

• 25 japa21
      August 8, 2014 at 12:14 pm

Perfect example of who I was referring to in my earlier tweet. These same people complained we were going to get bogged down in Libya and Syria, not believing what PBO said about the exact opposite happening. They still don’t understand he means what he says.

• August 8, 2014 at 12:28 pm

They also can’t be bothered to actually listen to what he has to say. It is just constant disrespect and lack of basic courtesy.

August 8, 2014 at 12:38 pm

You’re right MomSense. They got their “think”pieces written up well before he speaks; they don’t listen to his speeches and instead engage in childish mockery on Twitter while he’s speaking.

• 28 Nena20409
      August 8, 2014 at 12:27 pm

And had the POTUS not help, there position will be…..Obama aloof while Minority Iraqis are left to die.

Their cover is so blown. I stopped subscribing to their magazine years ago.

• August 8, 2014 at 12:32 pm

12. August 8, 2014 at 12:11 pm

If not for GOP sociopathic Governors, that Medicaid Number would be TWELVE MILLION!

13. August 8, 2014 at 12:25 pm

14. 32 Nena20409
    August 8, 2014 at 12:29 pm

TGIF

Hello TOD.

Great posts, tweets, comments and Congrats to all the Gold Medalists……starting with this thread and 4/5 back.

15. 33 Nena20409
    August 8, 2014 at 12:31 pm

16. 37 Nena20409
    August 8, 2014 at 12:34 pm

8-8-14 WH Presser by Josh “The Voice” Earnest scheduled for 12:45pm EDT

• 39 SUE DUVALL SMITH
        August 8, 2014 at 1:11 pm

WHPC AS USUAL WITH ABC QUESTIONS ON WAR STRATEGY…WANTING TO KNOW ALL DETAILS EVEN DOWN TO THE COLOR OF THE PILOT’S UNDERWAER…STUPIDITY WITH A PENCIL!…CNN DOING THAT ALL MORNING WITH MILITARY SPOKESMEN…DAH! MY TV IN MY BEDROOM IS ACTING UP…SO ALL OF YOU ARE A LOVELY RED THIS WEEK!!!!! I THINK I AM GOING TO HAVE TO GET A NEW ONE…:(…THE OTHER ONE IS IN THE MAN CAVE AND I DON’T GO THERE!

• 40 Nena20409
        August 8, 2014 at 1:12 pm

Josh is LIVE now, I have noticed.

17. August 8, 2014 at 12:34 pm

Good Best Coast morning, everyone!

18. August 8, 2014 at 12:36 pm

19. 45 Nena20409
    August 8, 2014 at 12:36 pm

I remember this day, as a child watching TV 40 yrs ago in MD

20. August 8, 2014 at 12:40 pm

In the United States, new parents aren’t guaranteed any paid time off. Instead, if they have worked for a certain amount of time at a company with 50 or more employees, they are guaranteed the ability to take 12 unpaid weeks off for the arrival of a new child.
    That leaves us in lonely company. Out of 185 countries, the United States is one of just three that doesn’t guarantee paid maternity leave, the others being Oman and Papua New Guinea. Over half of the countries that provide leave give at least 14 weeks off. Here’s how that stacks up to other countries around the globe:

Fathers are similarly not guaranteed paid time off for a new child in the United States, but 70 countries also offer paid paternity leave. In the U.S., just 12 percent of workers have access to paid family leave through their employers. Worse, less than half of all workers are covered by unpaid leave, giving them few options when they have a new child. A quarter of women either quit their jobs or are let go when a new child arrives, and of those who get only partial pay or nothing at all, a third borrow money and/or dip into savings while 15 percent go on public assistance…continued

21. 47 Nena20409
    August 8, 2014 at 12:40 pm

Pardon me TOD. I have heard so much of Sharknado from friends and family members. Then I saw this photo. Wow…..I chuckled, knowing that the chuckling was not about this picture, but about the silliness of that Fade, Sharknado.

22. August 8, 2014 at 12:42 pm

#TrustBarack

23. 51 JER
    August 8, 2014 at 12:46 pm

24. 53 Nena20409
    August 8, 2014 at 12:46 pm

Someone was asking what the world is doing…..well, here’s one.
    France will soon join in the efforts. Trouble in the world, US leads and steps up, and the world follows, eventually.

25. August 8, 2014 at 12:48 pm

True story about The Nation.

I allowed my subscription to lapse YEARS ago. Afterwards, I started getting threatening missives from them, telling me I had to pay my renewal or I’d go to collection. I called the 800 number and read them the riot act. Fucking asswipes.

26. August 8, 2014 at 12:54 pm

27. August 8, 2014 at 12:57 pm

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

28. 64 GGail
    August 8, 2014 at 1:00 pm

Michigan Republican Gov has the gall to lump all of “Washington” together in his complaint about the lack of money for the repairs on the bridge. Grrrr!

U.S. needs to step up on Detroit-Windsor bridge project: Gov.
    Posted on July 31, 2014 by Admin
    OTTAWA – Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder said Wednesday the U.S. “needs to do a better job” on the Detroit-Windsor bridge, a project that’s been in the works for more than a decade.

Proposed back in 2002, the bridge is needed to facilitate trade between the U.S. and Canada – the largest trading partners in the world – but that’s been mired in controversy and setbacks since the beginning.

Snyder was joined by Transport Minister Lisa Raitt Wednesday for the joint announcement of a review panel, appointed to oversee all phases of the bridge construction.

Canada is funding most of the $1 billion project, with Washington only on the hook for the construction of a customs plaza on the U.S. side of the bridge.

That funding – $250 million – was thrown in doubt several months ago when Washington indicated it may not have the money.

Snyder thanked Canada for its generosity in the deal and described the U.S. position on the bridge – that it needs the bridge but doesn’t want to pay for it – as irrational.

“To be blunt, I think the U.S. federal government needs to do a better job,” Snyder told reporters.

Trade between the state of Michigan and Canada stands at roughly $75 billion a year, “far more than any other country,” Snyder said.

Raitt told reporters “our government won’t let financing disagreements get in the way of constructions timelines.”

29. August 8, 2014 at 1:00 pm

For a change of pace: LL’s breakfast menu

Good, hot, rich Gevalia coffee
    Homemade ham, egg, and cheese scramble
    Toast

30. August 8, 2014 at 1:12 pm

:-)

31. 91 Nena20409
    August 8, 2014 at 1:16 pm

Another Milestone to celebrate ;)

32. August 8, 2014 at 1:16 pm

33. August 8, 2014 at 1:19 pm

• 98 SUE DUVALL SMITH
      August 8, 2014 at 1:32 pm

LL……………..LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL…RUSTY ROCKIN’ THE BARSTOOL!!!!!!

34. 99 Nena20409
    August 8, 2014 at 1:26 pm

Question to Josh 44th was the 4th POTUS in a roll to bomb Iraq.

Hmm?

Was the Iraq war over on Jan 20th, 2009? Nope. It continues until Oct 2011. These wicked idiots should Use Their Medulla Oblongato sometimes and stop being Stupid Arses.

• 100 Layla
      August 8, 2014 at 1:31 pm

I often wonder how many people watch these briefings

• 101 Nena20409
        August 8, 2014 at 1:37 pm

I have no idea. I do like to listen to it. I have been since the 1990s when C-SPAN started airing them. Since the Media is bent on Not reporting about what this POTUS does truthfully, this is the only way to get what the Obama administration is saying……directly.

I was shocked to see a tweet from ABC News tweeting about the WH presser. Hence the tweet post.

• 102 Ladyhawke
      August 8, 2014 at 1:38 pm

Have I said lately how much I love Josh Earnest. He is just fabulous. I love the way he handles the jackals. He is dispensing a bit of truth with every response to their stupid questions. The jackals channel the armchair critiques and Josh sets them straight with the facts. Love it.

35. 103 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    August 8, 2014 at 1:35 pm

PETER KING AND WOLF THE TUNNEL JOCKEY…NOW TELLING PBO HOW TO CARRY ON!

36. 104 carolyn
    August 8, 2014 at 1:38 pm

Read Charles Pierce’s article on Iraq….as someone else had said very good. My favorite part was when he called the Bush clan “The Habsburgs of Kennebunkport.” How perfect! Having just returned from the capital of the Habsburg empire and some of its tribute paying satellites, I believe this was an apt metaphor. The Bushes, I’m sure, WISH for the power the Habsburgs had!!!

37. 106 jziglar
    August 8, 2014 at 1:47 pm

There was an article on the Daily Beast that said that Even Hawaii hates Obama. I never want to hear the term liberal media ever again. It’s ridiculous ! The lies, conservative bias, and racism.