Aug

A Tweet Or Two

On Tuesday, August 6, the country celebrated the forty-ninth anniversary of the Voting Rights Act, the most impactful civil rights law ever passed by Congress. Three days later, a federal judge in North Carolina denied a preliminary injunction to block key provisions of the state’s new voting law, widely described as the most onerous in the country. North Carolina’s new voting restrictions will now be in effect for the 2014 midterms and beyond, pending a full trial in July 2015, a month before the fiftieth anniversary of the VRA.

The federal government and plaintiffs including the North Carolina NAACP and the League of Women Voters argued during a hearing last month that three important parts of the law—a reduction in early voting from seventeen to ten days, the elimination of same-day registration during the early voting period, and a prohibition on counting provisional ballots cast in the wrong precinct—disproportionally burdened African-American voters in violation of Section 2 of the VRA and should be enjoined before the 2014
election.

43 Responses to “A Tweet Or Two”

1. August 9, 2014 at 7:52 pm

Fantastic tweets Nerdy, love them, thank yooooooou!!!

2. 9 Judith Fardig
    August 9, 2014 at 7:56 pm

Thanks, NW. You always do a great job!

August 9, 2014 at 7:59 pm

Oh I LOVE these charts for dipshits!

August 9, 2014 at 8:07 pm

NerdyW: This is serious – what do I have to give you to get on your preferred list for advance /muffled voice/ = (personal) notice when you are about to post?

August 9, 2014 at 8:11 pm

So…I told you that I had the men in my house all coming back home today. Before my daughter came with me to pick up hubby at the airport today, we decided to drop by In and Out for a bite…I was shaking I was so hungry! We ate and as we were leaving, I see a guy sitting at the outdoor tables smoking a cigarette. For starters, that’s not allowed…then he got up and started walking to his car and I noticed that he had a gun on his hip. WTF! I couldn’t contain myself and said, OUT LOUD…”What the hell does anyone need a gun to eat a burger for?” He had to have heard me…I was NOT quiet …he got in his car (CA license!) and shut the door. Honest to god.Why? Where is MY right to feel safe from this????

• August 9, 2014 at 8:42 pm

The dude had a CA license?

He must have moved to AZ for the right to open carry, because that’s not allowed in CA.

Is AZ an open carry state, or do they just not have any regulations whatsoever about handguns?

Fifteen years ago or so I drove from Houston to San Antonio and was shocked to see signs at the gas stations along the highway saying to leave guns in vehicle — naively I had no idea that toting weapons was legal.

August 9, 2014 at 8:15 pm

That Telegraph unfortunate juxtaposition was corrected same day in the later issue – I saw that somewhere yesterday.

7. August 9, 2014 at 8:20 pm

Evening, y’all. WP eating comments for dinner tonight, eh? ;(

August 9, 2014 at 8:21 pm

So a 17 yr-old boy allegedly shot 10 times by cops for stealing candy in a store…he was on the ground screaming and they continued to pump bullets into him.

Paging civil liberties Guru Glen Greenwald….

• August 9, 2014 at 8:27 pm

• August 9, 2014 at 8:38 pm

Wrong color Hopefruit, Glenn won’t be interested.

• 23 MadameSoph
        August 9, 2014 at 9:14 pm

Another young man with candy shot dead? If anyone wonders about whether someone of color can walk around with a gun like those open-carry idiots, here is yet another example of, “no, they can’t”

Yes, protests by people of color are “mobs”; flood victims searching for food are “looters”; some guy shopping for a toy gun for his son is “threatening”.

This fear and prejudice is reflected on the grand scale with how the press speaks about the President; it is both conscious and subconscious. I remember my friend in Italy emailing me in 2008, after the President was elected and exclaiming, “Hopefully this means that racism is over.” At the time I smiled and shook my head at the naiveté of that statement. Still, I had no idea of the ugliness that would show itself in the coming years.

This has to stop. I know the world is changing ever so slowly as the old racists die off and less new ones get created. That doesn’t help this poor boy’s family tonight. My prayers go out to them.

9. 24 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    August 9, 2014 at 8:28 pm

TWEET RE: TED CRUZ…IF HE WERE PRESIDENT…GUARANTEED AMERICA WOULD BE GONE!

10. 25 JER
    August 9, 2014 at 8:32 pm

11. August 9, 2014 at 8:39 pm

Good article about Pope Francis. One line: “The famous Catholic writer G.K. Chesterton once noted that “every age gets the saint it needs. Not the saint people want, but the saint they need–the saint who’s the medicine for their illness…….”

12. August 9, 2014 at 9:03 pm

13. 29 JER
    August 9, 2014 at 9:04 pm

14. August 9, 2014 at 9:23 pm

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

The man in charge….

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

‘Jesus Shuttlesworth’ AKA Ray Allen, Ahmad Rashad, and President Obama hitting the lynx….

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

#SoSueMe

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

15. 34 Nerdy Wonka
    August 9, 2014 at 9:40 pm

Another day, another Black life lost.

16. 35 Nerdy Wonka