Aug

Rise and Shine

10:25 EDT: President Obama makes a statement on Iraq

Also at White House Live

• • •

US Military Air-Drop of Food and Water over Sinjar in Iraq

(What A Difference From Dropping Bombs)

BBC

• • •

• • •

The President’s NYT Interview

NYT: Obama on the World

President Obama Talks to Thomas L. Friedman About Iraq, Putin and Israel

President Obama’s hair is definitely grayer these days, and no doubt trying to manage foreign policy in a world of increasing disorder accounts for at least half of those gray hairs. (The Tea Party can claim the other half.) But having had a chance to spend an hour touring the horizon with him in the White House Map Room late Friday afternoon, it’s clear that the president has a take on the world, born of many lessons over the last six years, and he has feisty answers for all his foreign policy critics.

Obama made clear that he is only going to involve America more deeply in places like the Middle East to the extent that the different communities there agree to an inclusive politics of no victor/no vanquished. The United States is not going to be the air force of Iraqi Shiites or any other faction. Despite Western sanctions, he cautioned, President Vladimir Putin of Russia “could invade” Ukraine at any time, and, if he does, “trying to find our way back to a cooperative functioning relationship with Russia during the remainder of my term will be much more difficult.” Intervening in Libya to prevent a massacre was the right thing to do, Obama argued, but doing it without sufficient follow-up on the ground to manage Libya’s transition to more democratic politics is probably his biggest foreign policy regret.

More here

On Israel

On Libya

On Iraq

On China

Thanks a gazillion to LP for the links and to Nerdy for putting them together in a draft

• • •

• • •

This made me smile – Knoller has been getting epic push-back on Twitter in recent days for his shilling, and his obsession with the President’s vacation. So much so, he now has an army of Teabaggers following him (just check any of the comments under his tweets). So, maybe the pressure actually left him feeling obliged to tweet at least one bit of honesty:

• • •

In Case You Missed It

• • •

A President Who Doesn’t Hide The Cost Of War

Pete Souza: “The President, in the process of saluting, participates in a ceremony at Dover Air Force Base for the dignified transfer of U.S. and Afghan personnel who died in Afghanistan a few days earlier. Many family members and friends of the special forces who died in this incident requested a copy of the photograph and later wrote me how much it meant to them.” Aug. 9, 2011

• • •

Rascal

On This Day – Pete Souza: “We were walking through a locker room at the University of Texas when White House Trip Director Marvin Nicholson stopped to weigh himself on a scale. Unbeknownst to him, the President was stepping on the back of the scale, as Marvin continued to slide the scale lever. Everyone but Marvin was in on the joke.” Aug. 9, 2010

• • •

MoooOOOooorning everyone! Another rushed R&S, will try to catch up through the day.

Happy Saturday!

138 Responses to “Rise and Shine”

August 9, 2014 at 10:13 am

Thurd!

2. 9 yardarm756
    August 9, 2014 at 10:13 am

Yardarm reporting for duty. Congrats Don……..Now on to day number 3 of “What the President SHOULD be doing”! :(

3. 12 anniebella
    August 9, 2014 at 10:17 am

I think by now we have learn that John Boehner, Speaker of the House isn’t worth dog doo.

• 13 SUE DUVALL SMITH
      August 9, 2014 at 10:29 am

THERE ARE BETTER WORDS FOR DOG DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO THAT HE DOOOOOOOOOOO DESERVE….HE HAS HATED THIS PRESIDENT SINCE HE CAME INTO OFFICE…WRONG COLOR…WRONG PARTY…MIX THAT WITH ENVY,JEALOUSY AND COMPLETE INEPTNESS OTHER THAN CLIMBING ON A BARSTOOL…WHAT HAVE YOU GOT…????? RUSTY ON THE ROCKS!

August 9, 2014 at 10:17 am

got a juicy one. wondering if I should post it….. nah.

5. 17 Don
    August 9, 2014 at 10:20 am

I’m not a Thomas Friedman guy having heard and read his pitch before, but I must say he did a good job of interviewing President Obama. I think to call President Obama the smartest person in the room is an understatement, the way he talks about the Middle East is beyond impressive. You have to know the history and the peoples of the Middle East to really understand their reasoning, and President Obama more than proves he knows the Middle East; his intellect is unmatched.

• 18 forus50
      August 9, 2014 at 10:24 am

Agree –Friedman should be an interviewer instead of a columnist. He’s just embarrassingly awful in his NYT columns; in both his bizarre analysis and his style of writing.

• 19 Vicki
      August 9, 2014 at 10:28 am

To agree with forus—This is the first Tom Friedman column I’ve read in years. And the New York Times is delivered to my doorstep every day.
      I read todays column thoroughly because it is 90% PBO in his own words.
      Now I intend to watch the tape kindly provided at TOD. Never get enough POTUS.

August 9, 2014 at 10:29 am

As I was told so aptly by my friend yesterday morning, PBO is the most educated and the smartest President that we have ever had. Ever.

• August 9, 2014 at 10:39 am

Is that true?

Jimmy Carter was a nuclear engineer.

Agree that he’s the *deepest,* most thoughtful and most broadly intelligent President ever, but I’m not sure I would agree as “most educated” in the ivory tower university sense.

I’m a big believer in learning from experience, so PBO’s education while he was “walking the walk” contributes hugely to his educational experience..

6. 22 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    August 9, 2014 at 10:20 am

WATCHING……………HAPPY SATURDAY MORNING EVERYONE……

7. 23 anniebella
    August 9, 2014 at 10:25 am

Bush…381 days of vacation Obama….125 days of vacation. The conclusion I come up with is the right wing don’t think this black President and his family is worthy of any vacation, but the white President is worthy of all the vacation time he wants. But hay it ain’t got nothing to do with race. Now if I’m not mistaken it cost the taxpayers when Bush and his family went on their vacations or was it free?

August 9, 2014 at 10:26 am

I wish those interviews went on longer. I could listen to his thoughts on these issues all day long. ” Do we have an answer the day after?” A question that was never asked/ answered by any neocon.

9. 26 Vicki
    August 9, 2014 at 10:29 am

C-SPAN 1 is going to carry PBO

10. 27 GGAIL
    August 9, 2014 at 10:31 am

Good West Coast morning Chipsticks & TOD family.

Thanks Chips, LP & NW. I’m looking forward to the videos.

Hahaha, Knoller got smacked down :D

August 9, 2014 at 10:37 am

You are late!
      . ;) Good Morning, GGail.

• 29 GGAIL
        August 9, 2014 at 11:05 am

Good Saturday morning vc. Notice what day it is? :D

What is it with East coast time zone folks? I received a call at 7am pst and the caller asked me “did I wake you?” :shock:

Fortunately I was already awake, but not looking to talk…yet :-)

Now here you are… :D

Glad I got to see & hear PBO this morning.

August 9, 2014 at 11:16 am

I know what day it is, was checking to see if you did!

Don’t you just hate those ‘did I wake you’ calls? If you think you might wake me DO NOT CALL ME! Seems simple enough to me. I usually say ‘yes'; of course they never believe me. :grin: :grin:

Because I sometimes have cheeky moments, if the call is late at night I’ve been known to actually answer the call with a ‘Do you know what time it is?’ instead of the traditional ‘hello’. I got a startled ‘sorry’ response for that once from some stranger selling something. Friends tend to want to discuss if that’s any way to answer my phone. ;) ;)

Enjoy your west coast Saturday!

• 31 GGAIL
            August 9, 2014 at 11:30 am

Hahaha!
            The sun is burning thru the overcast and it’s gonna be a nice Saturday. The caller was due to arrive today, but can’t make it till Monday. I get a reprieve – YAY!

You enjoy your day too vc :-)

11. August 9, 2014 at 10:33 am

Forgot to hit “post comment” on earlier thread :oops: :

I know japa21 (Chips’ intendee) usually has other fish to fry (take note, HF2, LOL) on the weekends, but this is for japa “I hate this winter” 21:

12. 33 yardarm756
    August 9, 2014 at 10:37 am

First question out of the box. “How long….” Dumb ass WHPC.

August 9, 2014 at 10:38 am

Humanitarian daily rations

2,200 Calories in each daily pack for one person

2 main courses such as lentil stew or beans with rice

2 or more carbohydrate snacks such as crackers or flat bread

2 sachets of high calorie spreads: usually peanut butter and jam

Also raisins and/or fruit bar/pastry, condiments, alcohol-free wipe, spoon

US Department of Defense

14. 35 forus50
    August 9, 2014 at 10:39 am

August 9, 2014 at 10:42 am

August 9, 2014 at 10:44 am

17. 40 99ts
    August 9, 2014 at 10:44 am

gm Ms Chips and everyone – way past my bedtime but dropped in to thank you for a fabulous summary of events on R&S. May you all have a wonderful Saturday.

African Leaders summit photos – should be front page around the world.

18. August 9, 2014 at 10:45 am

• August 9, 2014 at 10:58 am

And now, dear Sir, finest President in the history of History ~ please gather your wonderful family get aboard that chopper, and have a splendid and long overdue, well-deserved holiday! TOD will hold the Fort, right y’all?! ;) <3 :bear: <3

August 9, 2014 at 10:45 am

I must say that the questions (and tone) so far today are more in line of what I would expect from media. A very sane, responsible approach. Wonder who will spoil things?

August 9, 2014 at 10:50 am

That final question >>>>> Thank you God that Professor Obama is a patient teacher.

• 46 Nena20409
      August 9, 2014 at 12:41 pm

Perhaps, the mocking by Those Bent on Demanding Accuracy in the News Media Reporting on Thursday and Count Von Knoller’s sudden accomodations in Content ih his number counting on GW Bush’s Vacy days……perhaps, all those push back are finally having an audience since…..the DC/NY pollsters are NOT seeing a TBGOPer wave coming on Nov 4th, 2014.

August 9, 2014 at 12:45 pm

Hi, Nena.

Perhaps. One can hope, anyways. (As soon as I typed ‘hope’ I remembered…

“Cynicism is Popular, but Hope is Better” ~PBO (town hall in MN June 26/’14) ;)

August 9, 2014 at 10:49 am

He looks like he has lost some weight.

• 49 Nena20409
      August 9, 2014 at 12:44 pm

Nope. Same size. Same skinny POTUS.

The reason he prefers standing behind a podium Vs sitting down behind a desk in the Oval Office when addressing the nation. To date, Pres Obama has done just 2…….since Jan 20th, 2009.

August 9, 2014 at 10:51 am

2nd thoughts about pulling out from Iraq? stupidity strikes.

SOFA was signed by dumbya and the corrupt maliki wanted US out.

22. August 9, 2014 at 10:52 am

23. 52 yardarm756
    August 9, 2014 at 10:53 am

PBO just dropped the mic on their dumb asses.

August 9, 2014 at 10:54 am

SMACK! HE IS NOT PLAYING WITH THESE MORONS ANYMORE! Thing of beauty

August 9, 2014 at 10:55 am

The dood is very clear about his goals and the means of doing it. neocons wet dream not gonna happen.

26. 58 Jeff
    August 9, 2014 at 10:56 am
    August 9, 2014 at 10:57 am

dinner time !!!

28. 72 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    August 9, 2014 at 10:59 am

ONLY ONE COMMENT NEEDED…………….THE PRESIDENT THAT IS TOO GOOD FOR A COUNTRY! BON VOYAGE PBO…HAVE A WONDERFUL TIME WHEREVER YOU GO…KNOW YOU ARE LOVED AND WISHED THE VERY BEST…HOP ON THAT CHOPPER AND LEAVE BEHIND THE PEST!

29. 74 Nerdy Wonka
    August 9, 2014 at 11:02 am

30. 75 Don
    August 9, 2014 at 11:02 am

Don’t you just love it when President Obama all but laughs in the face of reporters when then ask stupid questions?

August 9, 2014 at 11:08 am

Honestly…they’re such idiots. They bring this on themselves with their selective memories, vailed digs, and repetitive questions….”history” that was a few years ago, and they fucking pretend not to remember. They deserve every tongue lashing they get from this President. They’re either stupid or lying, so either one makes them unqualified to inform the American public about anything.

31. 77 Nerdy Wonka
    August 9, 2014 at 11:03 am

32. 79 forus50
    August 9, 2014 at 11:04 am

33. 80 Nerdy Wonka
    August 9, 2014 at 11:05 am

34. 81 Nerdy Wonka
    August 9, 2014 at 11:06 am

August 9, 2014 at 11:07 am

Watching the helicopter take off I suddenly thought – wonder if the Obama girls actually like flying? And don’t you all roll your eyes!

August 9, 2014 at 11:11 am

No eye rolling here! Been wondering if you “fixed” your computer problems…

August 9, 2014 at 11:28 am

/whisper/ I think so, Desertf. Whispering because I don’t want to give it any encouragement to act up. ;)

You finished your outdoor Saturday work already, or do you have tutoring lined up?

August 9, 2014 at 11:33 am

Good:) (whispering so as not to jinx) Nah…today the guys all come home and converge on my clean. quiet house…the one with everything in its place and no laundry that needs doing….to bring me loads of laundry, and raucousness…{{{sigh}}} No tutoring today..airport pickup day! I’d rather be tutoring….. :)

August 9, 2014 at 11:44 am

I suspect you’re only saying that, Df. You are probably tickled to have the guys coming back, to give you more work to do later in the week. ;)

Drive carefully, enjoying the air conditioned quiet as you head to the airport! :grin:

• August 9, 2014 at 11:19 am

Frankly, never thought about it. If they do, they have had to learn to deal with it. No doubt, whatever the case, they do fine. This family is simply THE BEST!

August 9, 2014 at 11:33 am

They are indeed the best, TnMG; we deserve the best!
        Happy Saturday wishes to you, nice to see that your back has been doing better.

TnMG, it amazes me the weird thoughts that often pop into my head. Unfortunately for me, and you all, ;) if I don’t air them out they continue to circle around and back over and over. Once aired tho, off they go ….. leaving space for another at another time. :roll:

36. August 9, 2014 at 11:08 am

37. 93 JER
    August 9, 2014 at 11:09 am

LIVE NOW: President Obama Departs for Martha’s Vineyard – http://www.cbsnews.com/liveFeed/widget.shtml

38. 94 Nerdy Wonka
    August 9, 2014 at 11:09 am

39. August 9, 2014 at 11:12 am

AMAZING round-up, Chips.

40. 96 Jeff
    August 9, 2014 at 11:13 am
  41. 97 forus50
    August 9, 2014 at 11:13 am

Anyone know this one?

42. 98 Nerdy Wonka
    August 9, 2014 at 11:14 am

43. August 9, 2014 at 11:15 am

POTUS slam dunked. What a man!!

44. 104 Don
    August 9, 2014 at 11:21 am

This week reminds me of a couple of weeks ago whenPresident Obama went to Texas and everybody was clamoring for him to go to the border and Governor Perry was talking big shit about who knows what. President Obama slides into town has a sit down with the Governor and punks him at some meeting. And on the way out of town President Obama stops by some bbq joint and grab a couple of slabs and heads back to Washington on Air Force One eating ribs and laughing with Valarie Jarrett.

• August 9, 2014 at 11:39 am

This is a snapshot of how he lives his life. He has focus and drive to always do the right thing and lets all the white noise & hateful distractions roll off. And every now and then he pulls over a royal pwn. He’s just exquisite.

45. 106 Nerdy Wonka
    August 9, 2014 at 11:21 am

• 107 Don
      August 9, 2014 at 11:23 am

Tell it, he does it so effectively.

• 108 Nena20409
      August 9, 2014 at 12:58 pm

He taught at a Law School for nearly 11 yrs.

Remember the Education of the GOPers in 2010 in VA before ACA was passed? The 7-8hrs tutorial of the selected few at the WH where POTUS said to McCain that the election was over?

And the many pressers where POTUS has schooled the unruly WHPC…..unfortunately, instead of learning to pass the 101 Journalism Class, they cram TBGOPers talking points and have failed miserably from the basic understanding of the Era of Pres Obama ;)

46. 109 dotster3
    August 9, 2014 at 11:25 am

August 9, 2014 at 11:26 am

48. 111 anniebella
    August 9, 2014 at 11:32 am

Let me tell you, I was so glad to hear our President put that reporter in his place when he asked that stupid question, Mr. President do you regret not leaving American forces in Iraq. I stood up and gave our President a standing ovation.

49. 112 africa
    August 9, 2014 at 11:35 am

50. August 9, 2014 at 11:35 am

• 114 africa
      August 9, 2014 at 11:45 am

That fabric FLOTUS wearing looks like African fabric. I have to see it close up. Yes, a well deserved vacay.

51. August 9, 2014 at 11:36 am

52. August 9, 2014 at 11:37 am

So I take it I missed some awesomeness this morning.

53. August 9, 2014 at 11:38 am

August 9, 2014 at 11:41 am

Ukraine closes in on Donetsk rebels

55. 124 africa
    August 9, 2014 at 11:43 am

• 125 Nena20409
      August 9, 2014 at 1:02 pm

They don’t want to remember. GW Bush went to Iraq and shoes were thrown at him then……this was in Dec of 2008. This was when Bush and Maliki sealed there agreement.

56. August 9, 2014 at 11:45 am

Just finished watching the take- off of AF1. Can never see it enough. Thank you JER for the heads-up you so diligently give us.
    I must say that watching the take-off and landings of our PBO is so much more interesting than hearing the talking heads
    in the MSM regurgitate their stale talking points. I switched the minute my president stopped talking..and found watching
    his departure infinitely more interesting.

The President’s press conference was a thing of beauty. Love this man.

August 9, 2014 at 11:45 am

Chinese users of instant messaging apps will have to register their real names, and seek approval before publishing political news, under new regulations.

Public users of popular services such as WeChat will also have to sign agreements promising to uphold “the socialist system”, state media say.

It comes as South Korean officials said access to foreign messaging apps such as KakaoTalk and Line had been blocked.

China has imposed similar restrictions on microblogs over the past two years.

China’s internet is tightly restricted, with social media sites such as Facebook and Twitter blocked.

58. 128 JER
    August 9, 2014 at 11:48 am

59. August 9, 2014 at 11:50 am

60. 134 africa
    August 9, 2014 at 12:02 pm

Where is Sasha?

August 9, 2014 at 12:05 pm

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

gunnite folks.

August 9, 2014 at 12:06 pm

63. 138 Nena20409
    August 9, 2014 at 1:04 pm

Scrumptious R&S. Just Fantastic.