Aug

A Tweet or Two • • • Night Owl Chat: Eric Burdon & War

Hour of The Wolf Chat: A Few Of My Favorite Things

Monday

Early Bird Chat • • • Rise and Shine

Chat Away  • • • ObamaCare: Helping Medicare Function Efficiently

• • •

From The World To A Very Special Person: Happy Birthday Mr. President! • • • Chat On

53 Years: The Journey In Images

Night Owl Chat: President Obama Sings

Tuesday

Early Bird Chat • • • Rise and Shine

A Tweet or Two • • • President & VP at the U.S.-Africa Business Forum

• • •

‘Obamacare Causes Steep Drop In Uninsured’

African Leaders’ Arrivals At The White House

President & First Lady Host Dinner for African Heads of State

Night Owl Chat: New York City Electro, Circa 1982 • • • Chat On

Wednesday

Early Bird Chat • • • Rise and Shine

• • •

Annals in “Missing the Point” • • • The President at the U.S.-Africa Leaders Summit

The President Holds a Press Conference

• • •

The President Holds a Press Conference (Soon-ish)

A Tweet or Two: Your White House Press Corps • • • US – Africa Leaders Summit

A Tweet Or Two

Thursday

Early Bird Chat • • • Rise and Shine

• • •

Chat On • • • “America Has To Do Right By All Who Serve Under Our Proud Flag”

Chat On – And Heads Up (Just In Case) • • • A Tweet Or Two

Saturday

Early Bird Chat • • • Rise and Shine

Have A Wonderful, Richly Deserved Vacation

In Which the White House Press Corps Makes Me Guzzle Antifreeze

A Tweet or Two

Again and Again and Again

Morning everyone, we’ll have a post up next on TODers’ thoughts on last night’s killing of Michael Brown.

109 Responses to “Rise and Shine: The Week at TOD”

1. August 10, 2014 at 10:21 am

Loving Sundays roundup

August 10, 2014 at 10:21 am

G’morning Chips, TOD, lurkers, everyone. Thanks Chips for this wonderful recap R & S :)

• August 10, 2014 at 10:23 am

A pleasure Hopefruit, good morning to you and everyone.

• 4 Betsy
        August 10, 2014 at 11:25 am

Good Morning Chips, great R&S, but I confess my heart is so heavy for the family of Michael Brown. Today he would be leaving for college :(

• August 10, 2014 at 11:27 am

I love the Sunday Round-Up as well…

nothing speaks to the POWER of TheObamaDiary…as these round-ups…I thank MsChipsss…NW…LL…and all the BTs…as well as the Village Commentators….for their very IMPORTANT contributions to the challenge of our time…destroying the BEAST that threatens our Humanity…

August 10, 2014 at 10:22 am

Hi.

August 10, 2014 at 10:29 am

{{Chips Chica}} I love you. Thank you for being who you are.

• August 10, 2014 at 10:31 am

Danny tried to rush in with a rude response VC, along the lines of ‘rolf loll shees evul!1!1!’ (I found him with another sock and took it off him just as the chewing began).

Thank you, you lovely lovely lovely lovely lovely sweetheart!! The feeling is mutual :-)

August 10, 2014 at 10:44 am

Exactly the medicine I needed – trying to decipher DannyO’s dyslexic writing gave me my first chuckle today! CC, I have the heaviest heart I’ve had in a long, long, long time; a surprising, uncontrollable reaction, really, and sleep hasn’t helped it much.

BTW, you ever considered buying **DannyO** a bunch of socks of his own (as toys). It could likely be cheaper than some of those Danny-toys you currently buy. What I mean is buy your size socks (meant for him in the end – maybe even in his favourite colours ;) ), wear them to ‘break them in’, then leave them accessible for him to chew on. Then you’d only need to half-heartedly take them away when he grabs one, then leave him to enjoy it for a while. Of course, at the same time, I’d expect you to PUT YOUR “REAL” SOCKS IN YOUR DRAWERS out of his sight!!!

• August 10, 2014 at 10:47 am

:-) Okay, okay, you have a point with “PUT YOUR “REAL” SOCKS IN YOUR DRAWERS”!

I actually tried this strategy with shoes – I gave him an old pair in the hope he’d leave my new ones alone, but as soon as he realized he was allowed have them, he didn’t want them.

I really should have called him Amk.

August 10, 2014 at 10:53 am

‘as soon as he realized he was allowed have them, he didn’t want them’
                :roll: :roll: Well, duh, don’t make it obvious he’s allowed!!! Who do you know who doesn’t want what s/he isn’t supposed to have?That’s why I suggested you tug on the socks, pretend to take them away. Geez, do I have to write the entire script for you?

And it’s too late to change his name; much simpler to brush up on your acting skills.

• August 10, 2014 at 10:57 am

:-) I definitely need to hire your dog-psychology services, come stay with me for a month – please!!

August 10, 2014 at 11:09 am

Now you just want Danny-O to shift his hating tendencies to me! I can just imagine the snarl of suspicion when you give me that welcome hug at the ariport, the irritated growling when we move to enter the car, or the ‘wat’s shii doin ere?’ look in his eyes when I attempt to enter the house with both of you.

Sorry, I would love to help but my calendar is filled for the foreseeable future.

August 10, 2014 at 10:23 am

So apparently, it is not even clear that the boy stole candy from the store…that was what the police claimed, but..

• 16 Don
      August 10, 2014 at 10:31 am

Apparently candy has replaced gold on the precious metals market.

• 17 99ts
      August 10, 2014 at 10:33 am

I’ve been looking hf – can’t find the press Conference anywhere – nothing good can be said about what has happened.

This seems to cover it
      Michael Skolnik @MichaelSkolnik · 11m
      #MikeBrown’s mother: “Police not telling us nothing, cause they have nothing to say.” #Ferguson

August 10, 2014 at 10:34 am

They’re still coordinating their lies and talking points. The more lies they have to cover up, the longer it will take to put together a conference.

August 10, 2014 at 10:27 am

6. 21 Layla
    August 10, 2014 at 10:30 am

I am also thinking about our dear friend yardarm this morning…

August 10, 2014 at 10:34 am

So Hillary is busy trying to court the Republican vote…nice.

• 23 Don
      August 10, 2014 at 10:41 am

One must admire Bush on a certain level, he’s trying his best to stay out of the way and let President Obama be the President. Bush took up painting and he now sits on his ranch minding his own business. But the Clintons, they can’t seem to go away nor can they show any humility.

August 10, 2014 at 10:39 am

This is 11AM EST. I’m not sure if there’s a livestream anywhere.

August 10, 2014 at 10:42 am

10. 33 Don
    August 10, 2014 at 10:48 am

I know one thing, whatever press conference the police hold in Ferguson, it had better be a strong one.

August 10, 2014 at 10:50 am

I have very low expectations. It’s going to be a lot of “we don’t know at this time” and “We cannot say yet” “Investigation is still ongoing” sort of thing.

As Brown’s mother indicated, the police will have nothing to say. They were wrong and they need to cover it up.

• August 10, 2014 at 11:37 am

Agree with HF2 (as usual).

Police came up with the lamest excuse possible (stealing candy?) when this was outright “walking while Black” murder.

What can they say except to hem and haw?

Something that MP said last night has me really concerned, and that is “will PBO have to interrupt his vacation… ” JHC. Not only is every crisis in the world “Obama’s fault” and natural disasters too (@MaeveReston’s tweet, which I think she has deleted), but now bigoted, out-of-control municipalities police forces are PBO’s responsibility too?

The MSM/Kochs hate big government, except when it comes to assigning blame. What other President was expected to comment on every news event which involved people descended from the President’s ancestors’ continent (i.e., Europe) — rhetorical question.

August 10, 2014 at 10:49 am

August 10, 2014 at 10:57 am

Check this one, too..

13. August 10, 2014 at 11:01 am

14. August 10, 2014 at 11:04 am

President Barack Obama has helped kick off the international Gay Games in Cleveland with a surprise video message shown at the opening ceremonies.

Obama welcomed athletes, coaches, families and spectators from around the world to Ohio and the United States as the event began Saturday night.

15. August 10, 2014 at 11:05 am

16. 47 99ts
    August 10, 2014 at 11:05 am

b.s. here we go

• August 10, 2014 at 11:06 am

Here we go where ? To Disney world ?

• 49 99ts
        August 10, 2014 at 11:08 am

Police comments on yesterday’s shooting. The young man supposedly attacked the policeman in his car! – according to the police

• August 10, 2014 at 11:16 am

Most police officers are trying to do a very difficult job.
          That said, the vast majority of police as White Males, and yes Republicans.
          It should be no surprise to anybody, after the way this president was treated -after he said that police were stupid for arresting professor gates in his own home.
          It’s even deeper than that, bc police should be democrats with the fat union benefits they have.
          So , why are most police republicans, far right, T Baggers. And some are very angry and on steroids?
          Combine steroid rage with Racism? Viola! You get police brutality, in this case, somebody was apparently killed.

August 10, 2014 at 11:22 am

A black, unarmed, (not previously diagnosed as insane), young American male ‘attacked the policeman in his car’? Really? In 2014 America? Really?

I didn’t watch the ‘news’ conference, so I missed this – did they say that with a straight face?

• 52 99ts
            August 10, 2014 at 11:29 am

I think even the press were lost for words after that one. It was way outside what anyone was expecting. Learned from the GOP – when you lie – make it an absolute woppa.

And I really am heading to bed now – early day tomorrow. Stay safe.

17. August 10, 2014 at 11:07 am

Just an FYI – A note to people who are AT&T customers and are having lots of problems watching video:

My line was getting annoyingly slow so that I could barely watch a video without endless buffering and dithering. Some wouldn’t play at all and the wifi would stop out throughout the day. I called AT&T and a guy came out and said they’ve done something new to their connection and I needed a new modem (only a year old). He brought one free of charge. He also switched out my port, which was old due to the fact that I live in an older apartment building. Now it works great and I can watch anything. He even demo’d Netflix streaming on his phone for me so now I can join the 21st C!!

18. 55 99ts
    August 10, 2014 at 11:09 am

I got to go to bed folks – I can’t believe this – thinking of you all

19. August 10, 2014 at 11:09 am

20. 58 0388jojothecat
    August 10, 2014 at 11:13 am

My dearest Chips

Let me tell you a story of a friend who lived in an area that had deer. He would get so upset that the deer would eat his roses and other collage he’d plant. One day he showed us pictures of himself hand feeding these same deer lettuce. I asked, why are you feeding these deer? Don’t you think you are sending the message “come feast at my house”. In other words giving Dannystix an old shoe says it’s OK to chew on shoes? ” I should have named him Amk”. Yes you should have……Amkstick stop that! :) :)

• 59 0388jojothecat
      August 10, 2014 at 11:15 am

Damn spell check. It’s follage not college. Ugh.

• August 10, 2014 at 11:17 am

That exactly explains how I got it so wrong, JoJo! I was thinking: ‘Once he has his own shoe, he won’t want mine.’ D’oh!!!

Truth is, he’s waaaaaay smarter than me, I’m losing the psychology battle spectacularly!

• 61 0388jojothecat
        August 10, 2014 at 12:30 pm

Chopsticks my mom used to tell me my cat, Jojo, knew me better than I knew myself. She said he would study me like a text book. We interact with pets like they are three dimensional… Eat play sleep…they are multifaceted. Pets are smarter than humans and they know it. :) :) .

21. 62 Nerdy Wonka
    August 10, 2014 at 11:14 am

Thanks for an aesthetically wonderful round-up of the week, Chiparooo.

August 10, 2014 at 11:15 am

23. August 10, 2014 at 11:17 am

In case you missed it, my analysis of the shooting of Mike Brown within the confines of 140 characters:

24. 67 Nerdy Wonka
    August 10, 2014 at 11:20 am

Here comes the police with their BS.

Michael Brown was running on the street with his hands in the air when he was shot 10 times and gunned to death but now this? Wow.

• August 10, 2014 at 11:24 am

See my summary above.

It took some questioning, but the presiding police officer quite clearly said that after the altercation, both got out of the police car and the victim *was shot at 35 ft*.

August 10, 2014 at 11:27 am

Raised more questions than answers….

• August 10, 2014 at 11:30 am

Not to me. Clearly, if the altercation happened as recounted by the police, it is obvious – by the way they worded it – that the “suspect” (his words, not mine) got away without the officer’s weapon. He then got shot from a 35 ft distance. How does the Jury find ?

• August 10, 2014 at 11:38 am

Oh, BTW, for the rest, I go with Don’s analysis below: “the old struggle over the officer’s weapon” angle … I didn’t write “if the altercation happened as recounted by the police” for nothing.

It’s just that the rest doesn’t fit either.

• 72 Don
      August 10, 2014 at 11:29 am

Oh ok, the old “struggle over the officer’s weapon” tripe.

August 10, 2014 at 11:23 am

Just to summarize the Ferguson police news conference you just heard: A whole bunch of B.S. Nothing adds up, and people are even more suspicious than they were before the presser.

• August 10, 2014 at 11:26 am

It’s the 1960s all over again. Soon, the police will have fire hoses and governors won’t allow little black girls in school etc.

August 10, 2014 at 11:26 am

Is DOJ involved in this?

27. 76 Nerdy Wonka
    August 10, 2014 at 11:27 am

28. August 10, 2014 at 11:28 am

Not defending the MSM, but we may want to cut them (a little) slack for not reporting on Michael Brown (RIP, Chips said it best, 17-forever).

CBS radio network news has mentioned it every hour, but they say “it’s unclear why the shooting occurred.”

I think news organization editors understand how inflammatory this story is and they understand they do not have the facts to report, i.e., why the f*** the police shot Michael Brown in the first place.

Perhaps they’ve learned from the many times they’ve be too quick on the draw to be “first” — thinking of those outlets that reported Gabby Giffords “death,” SCOTUS ACA decision, Boston bombing “suspects” (who were just marathon viewers), etc.

August 10, 2014 at 11:31 am

Don’t take my word for it! Here are just a few people’s reactions to the presser you just heard:

30. 82 Nerdy Wonka
    August 10, 2014 at 11:31 am

August 10, 2014 at 11:33 am

32. 84 Don
    August 10, 2014 at 11:37 am

Keep in mind ladies and gentlemen that this press conference was conducted AFTER the police had at least twelve hours to comb through this shooting.

• August 10, 2014 at 11:59 am

And fabricate their best offence in what they know will come back to bite them. These events may still occur but the cover up isn’t as easy as it used to be. Can only hope for a different outcome if this becomes a wider issue. The people have the power to make it happen on behalf of Michael and his grieving family.

33. 86 globalcitizenlinda
    August 10, 2014 at 11:38 am

no clarification from Ferguson PD

• 87 Don
      August 10, 2014 at 11:42 am

I’ve turned in book reports that I waited to start and complete the night before they were do, that were more detailed and organized than this press conference, and this was before home computers were available.

34. August 10, 2014 at 11:40 am

NW & Don…have summed up so poignantly…what it means to be BLACK in America..
    and now after the press conference….we see the beginnings of a cover-up…

.I have 4 nephews and 2 grandsons…I worry about them…and their chance to grow up..be happy…and be productive members of our society…

yesterday I attended a trunk party for my oldest nephew (18) he will be attending Howard University in the fall…he is an exceptional young man….polite…caring…generous…always ready to help…always giving….he is truly special…

Giving our children the talk…teaching them how to maneuver thru the racist scenarios arms them with tools to face the challenge…but as we know…it I not always successful…and you have to wonder what impact on psyche the “TALK” must have…
    .but we must do more…….I saw a tweet from Bob…that shows side by side pics of dogs being used to intimidate and threatened blk protestors..

.how do we defeat this beast that time and time again rears its ugly head…how do we cut it off at the root…This attack on blk folks attacks the rights of ALL people…it breaks down the Humanity of the police along with the Humanity of society in general…

Bob says that …Humanity is in Balance…and so it is…

This is not a crisis that just threatens the Blk community it is a crisis that threatens all of America….

We must All see a stake in pulling this beast out by the roots…because unless we do…it will return…and return…threatening the Humanity of all…

#MovingForwardTogether….

because We Must…

if we All are to survive..

35. 89 africa
    August 10, 2014 at 11:41 am

36. 90 Don
    August 10, 2014 at 11:46 am

And to all those black police officers that work for that police department; if you have sons, how do you sleep at night?

37. 91 Nerdy Wonka
    August 10, 2014 at 11:48 am

38. August 10, 2014 at 11:50 am

BTW, w.r.t. to the execution of Mike Brown, I think it is important that everyone agrees to this one:

39. 93 Don
    August 10, 2014 at 11:52 am

I’m almost certain Eric Holder’s Justice Department will investigate this shooting, just like I’m almost certain Al Sharpton will have something to say about this shooting. I say this because that is all I have to hold on to when things like this happen.

August 10, 2014 at 11:52 am

41. 97 criquet
    August 10, 2014 at 11:53 am

GM everyone.

This is just sad and true :

42. 101 Nerdy Wonka
    August 10, 2014 at 11:54 am

THIS. We’re being murdered in our own country yet Emoprogs and Greenwaldians want us to be screaming NSA and DRONES!!!!

• 102 Don
      August 10, 2014 at 11:55 am

Because the NSA aren’t gunning black boys down in the streets of America.

August 10, 2014 at 12:00 pm

EXACTLY. The bottom line is that after 15 months of nonstop and intense media coverage of the NSA, none of the Snowdenistas/Greenwaldians/Emoprogs have yet to produce a single dead body or person in America who’s life was significantly changed for the worse as a result of NSA’s doing what it was intended to do.

So they can miss me with this shyte about NSA and “civil liberties.”

• August 10, 2014 at 12:18 pm

this is so absolutely utterly true

43. August 10, 2014 at 11:57 am

44. 108 globalcitizenlinda
    August 10, 2014 at 12:06 pm

some days the heart feels so heavy that one just wants to lie down & wait for a new start

45. 109 Judith Fardig
    August 10, 2014 at 12:18 pm

As an old white woman, I should mostly shut up and listen. This breaks my heart, too. It’s my responsibility to confront racism in the mostly white community where I Iive and do my political organizing. The Obama campaign in 2008 brought people of all races, ages, creeds, and economic circumstances together for a common purpose. TOD does the same. I hold fast to that ideal.