Aug

Truth In All Its Forms

Highway Patrol Captain Johnson speaks, as Missouri Governor Nixon watches, during a news conference at University of Missouri-St. Louis in St. Louis

Frank Ocean: You See That Black Woman Standing Up There?

You see that black woman standing up there? I wonder if she was called to stand behind the governor because she’s black. I wonder if i’m supposed to think Missouri’s gov’t is pro-black because of her being stood up there with those other black men being all black and everything. I wonder if she was off the clock while she stood up there. If she was off the clock..then i wonder if she was getting paid for her time off like the guy who shot Michael 8 times.

More here

96 Responses to “Truth In All Its Forms”

1. August 17, 2014 at 11:46 am

@iJesseWilliams: .@imomi12598 Please disabuse yourself of the notion that my purpose on earth is to tuck ignorance in at night. #ViolenceIncites #Ferguson

Greatest tweet EVER.

Thanks a million Nerdy, a fantastic post.

• 16 Nerdy Wonka
      August 17, 2014 at 11:51 am

It. Was. PERFECT.

The arrogance, prejudice, and privilege in the “you need to check yourself” tweet was jaw dropping. Jesse’s response was brilliant. Thank goodness he didn’t stay silent. He’s a grown African-American man with a wife and a child, and someone dares to say “you need to check yourself” when he’s speaking truths he’s experienced as a child and continues to experience as a Black man walking in this world.

• 19 99ts
      August 17, 2014 at 11:58 am

John legend be running a close second

“This is about racism. I hate to break it to you, my friend.”

2. 22 GGail
    August 17, 2014 at 11:47 am

Excellent post NW. I especially agree with Frank Ocean for I thought the same thing…where did the black woman come from and why is she there?

3. 23 GGail
    August 17, 2014 at 11:54 am

The MO Governor was with Martha Raddic (sp?) this morning. While she asked him good questions (why did you wait so long before coming here?), she let him get away with dancing around her questions, He is a poor speaker/leader, I don’t care if he does have a ‘D’ behind his name.

4. 24 smoothscotch.
    August 17, 2014 at 11:55 am

Good Morning TOD. Thank God for this site for proper information. Trying to read how it went last night in Ferguson. I hope that one day I won’t have to tell my grandchildren like I told my son who to conduct himself “out there.” I have a sister who use to bury head in the sand, but she is waking up, (probably due to my rants and speaking loudly to her kids as well).

5. 25 GGail
    August 17, 2014 at 11:55 am

Just heard that Atty Gen, Holder is ordering a Federal autopsy on Mike Brown.

6. 30 smoothscotch.
    August 17, 2014 at 11:55 am

Hey Madam Chips, I am in moderation….please free me.

7. 33 Judith Fardig
    August 17, 2014 at 11:56 am

Once again, NW, thanks for staying on this miscarriage of justice in Ferguson. And hearty congratulations to GGail!

8. 35 99ts
    August 17, 2014 at 11:59 am

Thank you so much for collecting all the news into one small space NW

August 17, 2014 at 12:05 pm

Since I no longer watch MSNBC, I’m unable to verify if this is true or what the context was – because she may have actually been apologizing to the Darren Wilson who was NOT the killer cop. Did any one watch Nerdland today?

• 37 Nerdy Wonka
      August 17, 2014 at 12:11 pm

The tweet is wrong. She didn’t apologize to Darren Wilson. She said he murdered Mike Brown but since he hasn’t been charged, she can’t say that, because murder in such scenarios is to be used in a legal context. She can say he shot Mike Brown because the Ferguson PD have confirmed that he was the officer who drew his gun and fired.

As a journalist / TV person / pundit (whatever term one may want to use) she can’t use murder so she corrected herself. She didn’t apologize. She corrected herself during another segment because she said that since he hadn’t been formally charged she couldn’t use the word “murder” in that context. I believe that’s grounds for her being sued or something. Looked like her producers got word from their MSNBC / NBC counsel that they couldn’t do that.

• 38 Dudette
        August 17, 2014 at 12:12 pm

Thanks for the clarification NW.

August 17, 2014 at 12:15 pm

Okay. Makes sense.

However, I will add that going by the same logic, MSNBC should have refrained from repeatedly airing that video released by the Ferguson Police Chief as a factor related to the shooting incident when it wasn’t.

• August 17, 2014 at 12:32 pm

Thanks, Nerdy. I’m not a MHP fan but it sounded like someone was shit stirring on my TL. Not GRYKING, someone else started this, I think.

Did you see that petition blasting POTUS for saying Mike Brown “passed away” instead of saying he was murdered? Pissed me off because people automatically assumed it was because POTUS didn’t believe Brown was murdered. That he was siding with the police. Didn’t occur to them that he couldn’t legally say that.

• 41 Dudette
      August 17, 2014 at 12:11 pm

Wow, what did I miss?

• 42 Nena20409
      August 17, 2014 at 12:11 pm

I did listen and No…..MPH Did Not once apologetic to/for Darren Wilson. Her anger was directed to the cop killer was and has not been arrested. Her anger was noticeable and she alluded to that anger, herself.

• 44 99ts
      August 17, 2014 at 12:39 pm

I’m not sure the police chief is dumb – I think his actions have been very deliberate – he knows what he is doing – inciting violence – and for that he should instantly be fired. Where is the town council in the midst of this – too scared to stand up to their employee? or aiding and abetting?

10. August 17, 2014 at 12:10 pm

Jesse Williams was on point.

11. August 17, 2014 at 12:16 pm

I don’t believe sons/daughters should be held responsible for the sins/crimes of their parents, but can you imagine if Michael Brown’s mother had this record? The media would have a feeding frenzy. But all we’re hearing is that Wilson comes from a ‘good background':

• 49 Nerdy Wonka
      August 17, 2014 at 12:20 pm

You make excellent points, Chiparoo. What Wilson’s parents did or didn’t do is their business; but you’re right that if it were Michael Brown’s parents, it would be 24/7 media fodder.

Every minute of Michael Brown’s life is dissected but according to the Ferguson police chief, Wilson is a “gentleman” and that’s where it should begin and end.

• August 17, 2014 at 12:22 pm

Again and again and again, black victims are put on trial – as everyone has said, it’s Trayvon all over again.

• 51 GGail
          August 17, 2014 at 12:26 pm

And you can be sure, come trial time, some dirt will be “uncovered” about the character of Mike’s parents

• August 17, 2014 at 12:28 pm

Definitely GGail, although I’m beginning to wonder if there even will be a trial. The efforts to protect this cop and smear Michael Brown are spectacular

• 53 99ts
              August 17, 2014 at 12:34 pm

There was a trial for Trayvon – and from what I saw the prosecution offered a better defense of Zimmerman than the defense. This will be the same if the County is running a prosecution.

• 54 GGail
              August 17, 2014 at 12:35 pm

Then it will be a long HOT fall/winter. Too many recent incidents without justice is lighting a fuse – all over America.

August 17, 2014 at 1:34 pm

Speaking of Wilson and parents, etc. I just read the WashPo article, and the irony of the second paragraph I’m quoting here hurt, and it made me shake my head sadly. Quite a contrast in what she got and what her son doled out!

‘Little is known about him — not even the details of his commendation for extraordinary effort. But public records and interviews with people who knew his family indicate that he came from a troubled home that faced serious financial strain.

His mother, Tonya Harris, died when he was 16. Records show that she had a long history with law enforcement, pleading guilty to numerous counts of forgery and stealing. In 2001, she was sentenced to five years in prison, although she appears to have served most, if not all, of it on probation.’

• August 17, 2014 at 12:52 pm

America has a long history of “gentlemen” shooting and lynching black men.

• 57 nospin
      August 17, 2014 at 5:18 pm

Children should never be held responsible for their parents action and you are right Chips – if it were Micheal’s Brown’s parents you wouldn’t hear the end of it.

12. August 17, 2014 at 12:18 pm

Congrats on 1st Gail.

Very well done, as always, NW.

I hope in the days, weeks ahead folk may come to realize that one of the most substantive, consequential ways to honor #MikeBrown is to break every record for election turnout and deliver #LandslideDEMS2014 at every level of government.

The 3rd Reconstruction must become a ‘state of mind and behavior’ not an historical event bracketed by a start and end date; it must infuse each and every future generation of Americans.

Until equality extends to every American citizen, and until we stop unjustly incarcerating thousands and allowing police (aka militia) to abuse the press, we are rightly perceived as hypocrites by the rest of humanity – because we preach, but do not live the words.

Yes We Must

• 59 GGail
      August 17, 2014 at 12:30 pm

Thanks Bob
      and you are so right…”we are rightly perceived as hypocrites by the rest of humanity – because we preach, but do not live the words”.

13. 60 Nena20409
    August 17, 2014 at 12:18 pm

Excellent tweets and Videos. Thanks. At TOD, I am learning something everyday. Today, Jesse Williams.

This Jesse Williams is a FORCE. I flipped to SOTU and saw him. I had zero clue of who he was. I am glad I tuned in for I have stopped watching any of the 5 Sunday Talk-A-Ton Shows…..for a long time now.

TV shows are Not my thing. I watch old movies when I need to relax.

14. 61 Dudette
    August 17, 2014 at 12:18 pm

15. 62 Nena20409
    August 17, 2014 at 12:21 pm

I will bet that events like this is mushrooming across the globe. Ferguson is in Headlines of many News Papers.

16. 63 Dudette
    August 17, 2014 at 12:22 pm

17. 65 Nena20409
    August 17, 2014 at 12:27 pm

18. August 17, 2014 at 12:28 pm

19. 70 Nena20409
    August 17, 2014 at 12:31 pm

Those bitching and moaning about pres Obama……should FIRST………THINK!
    This is Not about the president. It about Ferguson and FPD and their conduct.
    This tweet is 1001% correct.

20. 71 Nena20409
    August 17, 2014 at 12:37 pm

21. August 17, 2014 at 12:42 pm

Good afternoon friends/family. I’m finally caught up on all the threads since leaving for church. My heart is so, so heavy.

Wanted to share something. For, oh probably couple of years, a regular prayer (2-3 times every week) goes like this: God, move across this country in a mighty and profound way. Open people’s minds and open and soften hearts, enabling them then to fully understand something they may see, hear or read.” My belief in stating it that way is that if the mind and the heart is not prepared and ready to “take in” and fully understand, nothing will change.

I do believe that something is different this time. I think this is going to be the Third Reconstruction. We have to keep hope alive and do any small thing we can to make that happen.

22. 74 africa
    August 17, 2014 at 12:42 pm

23. August 17, 2014 at 12:51 pm

Morning everyone.

Well, the missus’ new job isn’t working out. The little girl is wonderful, but she’s more or less a glorified baby sitter, her siblings are running around yelling and screaming, and when she goes into the hospital as she will this Thursday, possibly for weeks, the missus won’t be working. So we’re going to take a day this week and hit nursing homes and put in applications. It was a good idea, but not everything works out.

24. 83 africa
    August 17, 2014 at 12:55 pm

• August 17, 2014 at 1:05 pm

Candy Crowley: “I absolutely understand.” BULLSHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 85 Linda
        August 17, 2014 at 1:20 pm

They should have included the statement and question she asked him prior to his answer, along with the look on his face when she asked it.

She was asking him to explain it to her because she DIDN’t understand it.

August 17, 2014 at 1:09 pm

WOW…TRUER words never spoken. Yes, this video needs to be front-paged. :)

• 87 Nena20409
      August 17, 2014 at 1:17 pm

Notice how Candy rushed to minimize Jesse Williams’ Truth as the Press was mentioned?

She is still trying to sweeten her image with the right……since POTUS said: Please proceed, Governor.

The beauty of it all……Look at Jesse Williams…..his facial expression is Golden. He noticed the game by Candy and her dismissive pasture.

• August 17, 2014 at 2:35 pm

I hope Mr. Williams inspires other celebrities to speak up. The “news-as-entertainment” media loves giving the mic to celebrities. Sad though that it takes a tv star for “journalists” to listen.

25. August 17, 2014 at 12:56 pm