Aug

Rise and Shine

The Streets of……. America

Today

President Obama has meetings at the White House – he meets with members of his economic team in the afternoon – before heading back to Martha’s Vineyard where he and his family will remain for the rest of the week.

Sybrina D. Fulton: ‘If They Refuse to Hear Us, We Will Make Them Feel Us’

To The Brown Family,

I wish I had a word of automatic comfort but I don’t. I wish I could say that it will be alright on a certain or specific day but I can’t. I wish that all of the pain that I have endured could possibly ease some of yours but it won’t. What I can do for you is what has been done for me: pray for you then share my continuing journey as you begin yours. I hate that you and your family must join this exclusive yet growing group of parents and relatives who have lost loved ones to senseless gun violence. Of particular concern is that so many of these gun violence cases involve children far too young. But Michael is much more than a police/gun violence case; Michael is your son. A son that barely had a chance to live

Further complicating the pain and loss in this tragedy is the fact that the killer of your son is alive, known, and currently free. In fact, he is on paid administrative leave. Your own feelings will bounce between sorrow and anger. Even when you don’t want to think about it because it is so much to bear, you will be forced to by merely turning on your television or answering your cell phone. Facts, myths, and flat out lies are already out there in Michael’s case. Theories, regardless of how ridiculous, are being pondered by the pundits. My advice is to surround yourselves with proven and trusted support. I have always said that Trayvon was not perfect. But no one will ever convince me that my son deserved to be stalked and murdered. No one can convince you that Michael deserved to be executed.

But know this: neither of their lives shall be in vain.

More here

by Getty’s Scott Olson, who was arrested in Ferguson yesterday

Morning again everyone. Updates later in the day, chat on.

128 Responses to “Rise and Shine”

1. August 19, 2014 at 9:18 am

Good morning TOD folks

2. 4 MightyPamela
    August 19, 2014 at 9:18 am

3. 17 jackiegrumbacher
    August 19, 2014 at 9:22 am

Good morning. Here’s a quick take on what the federal government can do to reform a police department under a law passed after the Rodney King case. The big takeaway is that it will take time. It would involve a federal lawsuit, a consent decree and then a long process of reform from within supervised by DOJ. I fully expect this to happen.

m/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2014/08/ferguson_police_reform_how_the_justice_department_could_revamp_the_ferguson.html

August 19, 2014 at 9:24 am

Must Read

The region’s fragmentation isn’t limited to the odd case of a city shedding its county. St. Louis County contains 90 municipalities, most with their own city hall and police force. Many rely on revenue generated from traffic tickets and related fines. According to a study by the St. Louis nonprofit Better Together, Ferguson receives nearly one-quarter of its revenue from court fees; for some surrounding towns it approaches 50 percent.

Municipal reliance on revenue generated from traffic stops adds pressure to make more of them. One town, Sycamore Hills, has stationed a radar-gun-wielding police officer on its 250-foot northbound stretch of Interstate.

With primarily white police forces that rely disproportionately on traffic citation revenue, blacks are pulled over, cited and arrested in numbers far exceeding their population share, according to a recent report from Missouri’s attorney general. In Ferguson last year, 86 percent of stops, 92 percent of searches and 93 percent of arrests were of black people — despite the fact that police officers were far less likely to find contraband on black drivers (22 percent versus 34 percent of whites). This worsens inequality, as struggling blacks do more to fund local government than relatively affluent whites.

SO…making arrests and fining its residents are HOW FERGUSON POLICE MAKE THEIR MONEY! This is unjust and needs to stop…they have every incentive to arrest and fine people, and no incentive to work with the community…take it a step further, and notice (as we all have now!) that this dept force is mostly white and doesn’t live in or have roots in the community they police…TOXIC!

• 20 jackiegrumbacher
      August 19, 2014 at 9:28 am

Df, I now have no doubt that this will be part of the suit brought against the FPD by the Justice Department. They will build their case with meticulous care and they will nail these SOBs.

August 19, 2014 at 9:39 am

I hope so, jackie. These people are put in an untenable position…they can’t escape their condition and their condition goes into the coffers of a police dept that abuses them. And “round and ’round it goes…a vicious cycle. I feel sick.

• 22 99ts
          August 19, 2014 at 10:01 am

And other than abuse against those who they are meant to protect – what else do they do? It is time for some real journalism again in many places – but especially in Ferguson.

Everyone of these towns is overpoliced. Where I live a town of 20,000 would be lucky to have 5 police officers – and they are all employed by the state. No town police, no city police, no local government police.

• 23 amk for obama
      August 19, 2014 at 9:32 am

In short, blacks pay taxes to get harassed by their own PD.

• 24 MightyPamela
        August 19, 2014 at 9:56 am

Another form of enforced slave-wage entrapment – I imagine there is an overall low-income standard for many of the residents. Constant ticketing, fines and legal fees keeps them underwater for any kind of decent life, drowning any hope of getting ahead.

• 26 99ts
        August 19, 2014 at 10:02 am

I just said that above – in many more words – so at $10 per word – you owe me

August 19, 2014 at 10:30 am

‘One town, Sycamore Hills, has stationed a radar-gun-wielding police officer on its 250-foot northbound stretch of Interstate.’

Talk about paying your way! Travelers literally are forced to pay for a guy or two sitting on the side of the road holding their hands out! All the little pieces coming out are so very unbelievable, particularly in this 21stC…..in America.

• 28 arapaho415
        August 19, 2014 at 10:42 am

This is so odd to me.

In CA, the Highway Patrol and local police/sheriffs have clearly designated areas of responsibilities and they don’t overlap.

Only the CHP (state) has authority for traffic infractions on highways and interstate freeways. If there’s a crime other than a traffic violation, the local authorities are summoned, but they can’t issue speeding tickets on freeways.

August 19, 2014 at 9:29 am

Alma-b, MightyP, Japa3 – way to go, you all! :grin: Wishing you a productive and happy Tuesday!

August 19, 2014 at 9:31 am

Ferguson is not just about systemic racism — it’s about class warfare and how America’s poor are held back, says Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Will the recent rioting in Ferguson, Missouri, be a tipping point in the struggle against racial injustice, or will it be a minor footnote in some future grad student’s thesis on Civil Unrest in the Early Twenty-First Century?
    The answer can be found in May of 1970.

August 19, 2014 at 9:36 am

This fist-shaking of everyone’s racial agenda distracts America from the larger issue that the targets of police overreaction are based less on skin color and more on an even worse Ebola-level affliction: being poor. Of course, to many in America, being a person of color is synonymous with being poor, and being poor is synonymous with being a criminal. Ironically, this misperception is true even among the poor.

And that’s how the status quo wants it.

The U.S. Census Report finds that 50 million Americans are poor. Fifty million voters is a powerful block if they ever organized in an effort to pursue their common economic goals. So, it’s crucial that those in the wealthiest One Percent keep the poor fractured by distracting them with emotional issues like immigration, abortion and gun control so they never stop to wonder how they got so screwed over for so long.

• 41 amk for obama
      August 19, 2014 at 9:56 am

August 19, 2014 at 10:00 am

Thanks, Mister:)

• August 19, 2014 at 10:31 am

He is so spot on in that article for time. My parents helped to start the anti war movement at Kent State in ’66. Before that my dad was organizing on civil rights as part of a group of clergy and seminary students. After Kent State they moved us to Texas where they organized on school segregation and on local water quality. The poor neighborhoods which also were the latino neighborhoods had “drinking water” that wasn’t really potable and turned the residents’ teeth brown. Goodness knows what it did that wasn’t visible. We really have to make the connection between race and class because if we don’t all learn to see ourselves in each other we are really screwed. From my perspective, and my parents talk about this all the time, the “Obama coalition” is one of the most effective truly diverse movements we have had in this country. If we can see it this way, I hope we can build on it.

August 19, 2014 at 10:53 am

{{{{MomSense}}}} Excellent comment!

Well, the entire thing was excellent, but this stuck out for me.

7. 45 Vicki
    August 19, 2014 at 9:34 am

Cease fire in gaza totally collapses.

8. August 19, 2014 at 9:37 am

VERY useful info on what to expect from the DOJ’s investigation into Ferguson

9. 49 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    August 19, 2014 at 9:45 am

GOD HAS LIFTED HIS HEDGE OF PROTECTION FROM AMERICA AND IT SHOWS….THE BROWN FAMILY DOES NOT WANT THIS GOING ON…THE OUTSIDERS WANT TO TURN AMERICA INTO A BATTLEGROUND…THOSE WHO DON’T BELIEVE THAT ARE FOOLS…THERE IS A MOVEMENT GOING ON HERE AND IT IS DANGEROUS…ALL PROTESTERS JUST MAY HAVE TO RETURN HOME IN ORDER TO SQUELCH THIS…IT REMINDS ME OF EGYPT..THERE IS MORE GOING ON THAN YOU THINK…

10. 50 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    August 19, 2014 at 9:46 am

Good morning, TOD!

11. August 19, 2014 at 9:48 am

I just listened to the live broadcast Elon James White did in Ferguson about 2am Central. I don’t have words. Just indiscriminate gassing of neighborhoods and firing rubber bullets directly at people’s faces. This is just mass scale police brutality. Good God but racism and militarization and power and authoritarianism have come together in a most horrific way in Missouri.

• 52 SUE DUVALL SMITH
      August 19, 2014 at 10:31 am

PROTESTERS CAME FROM AS FAR AS NEW YORK TO CAUSE TROUBLE…THE PEACEFUL ONES WERE FIGHTING THE OUT OF STATERS LAST NIGHT WHO HAVE THEIR OWN AGENDA…THEY WERE THE ONES SHOOTING AT POLICE OFFICERS!

• 53 SUE DUVALL SMITH
        August 19, 2014 at 10:32 am

THE PEACEFUL PROTESTERS WANT THIS TO END…THIS IS A FRONT FOR ANOTHER AGENDA!

• August 19, 2014 at 10:37 am

I get what you are shouting but what Elon and his crew experienced was cops in armored vehicles launching tear gas into neighborhoods where there were no protests or violence occurring.

• 55 Alycee (@jazziz2)
        August 19, 2014 at 10:58 am

Sue, I was up until 4 or 5 this am; watching livestream, then following tweets from the neighborhood. They cleared the media; cleared the main drag;, then went into the residential area and indiscriminately fired CS. There was no one rioting in the neighborhood; just the police getting their rocks off with their gas launchers.

• 56 SUE DUVALL SMITH
          August 19, 2014 at 11:40 am

THEY ARRESTED 78 PEOPLE LAST NIGHT AND THE OUT OF TOWNERS WERE THE MAIN PROBLEM…THEY ARE INTERVIEWING ALL SORTS OF STREET PEOPLE TODAY WHO SAY IT IS BEING CAUSED BY OUT OF STATE PEOPLE…AND I BELIEVE THERE ARE OTHER THINGS GOING ON HERE.

12. August 19, 2014 at 9:52 am

Be warned, I’m going to rant about Jake Tapper in a post later, it will include some rude words. :???:

13. August 19, 2014 at 9:53 am

14. 73 jackiegrumbacher
    August 19, 2014 at 9:55 am

Charles Pierce is back from vacation and naming Republican names on the Ferguson situation. He doesn’t spare Hillary, but makes a point about Republicans using the unrest to boost a ‘law and order’ tough guy Republican presidential candidate ala Christie. This cannot be allowed to happen.

15. August 19, 2014 at 9:56 am

I’m even slower than usual this morning, what’s “TP”?

August 19, 2014 at 10:00 am

I won’t bite any more, promises Suarez.

Do you bite it?

17. 87 Don
    August 19, 2014 at 10:01 am

I was at work yesterday sitting in the employees lounge waiting for President Obama’s presser to begin. To a man every white employee that came into the lounge had something negative to say about President Obama or Mike Brown. I wonder if I got shot down like Mike Brown got shot down would they mourn for me, or would they say that I was just another no good N****r that deserved what I got?

• 88 amk for obama
      August 19, 2014 at 10:08 am

Today, I had a few white democrats who were following me and I them, defending the killer cop (due process, fairness etc.) and the police overkill (“rioting” deserves that kinda response etc.). Gave them a piece of my mind but could see they are biased and won’t change. Blocked’em all. White man’s persecution never ends, dontchaknow.

• August 19, 2014 at 10:22 am

I’m having exactly the same experience Amk, I don’t even bother replying to most of them, just unfollow. The mask truly slips in days like these. Especially with self-described progressives.

• 90 amk for obama
          August 19, 2014 at 10:29 am

their mentality is stunning.

• August 19, 2014 at 10:31 am

And the thing with most of them, they look at their screens and they can’t help but relate more to the cops because of the color of their skin. It’s ‘them and us’ at a time like this, it really is.

• 92 99ts
              August 19, 2014 at 10:46 am

Well we must have learned something on TOD because when I look at the screen all I see is overweight dumbed down cops in army gear acting in a way I never thought possible in 2014 USA. I do not relate to them at all.

I did relate to Capt Johnson initially – but the governor pulled the rug from under his feet – or set him up to fail

• August 19, 2014 at 10:50 am

I just look at their faces and see the meanness and hate, 99ts, especially last night. Pure venom. And all the time they kept looking over at the TV cameras and as so many said, you wonder just how they would have reacted if the world wasn’t watching. Even under the spotlight, they behave like thugs, it’s unimaginable what they do when no one is looking. Actually, it’s not, look what happened Michael Brown.

• 94 99ts
                  August 19, 2014 at 10:55 am

So sad & so true. Stay safe & work off the anger on the Jake Tapper spread. I’ll be back to read it in my morning time.

• August 19, 2014 at 10:56 am

I feel ashamed to have light skin, when these are said to represent me. :(

• 96 57andfemale
        August 19, 2014 at 12:09 pm

‘Due process’ would have involved interviewing the witnesses, filing an incident report, releasing information.

Even with some looting, showing up in weapons from Fallujah, wearing camoflage (!) (Hint: we can see you on a city street, you morons) is a military response to reasonable protests.

There is no due process because the FPD and St. Louis County have not followed procedure to find the facts.

• 97 sabreen60
      August 19, 2014 at 10:15 am

According to all these polls (believable or not?) your experience jives with the polls. Seems many whites don’t believe there are racial disparities in anything. Police are the good guys and blacks who are shot down in the streets deserved what they got. Now I don’t know if they really believe these things or just believe they MUST tell pollsters these things. Either way we appear to be two separate countries as Nerdy has shown with the tweets.

18. 99 sabreen60
    August 19, 2014 at 10:10 am

Good morning, Ms. Chips and TODers.

Last night accounts on Twitter claimed that much of the violence and/or attempted violence came from white anarchist. I wonder if this is true and if so has the media covered or investigated this.

19. 100 anniebella
    August 19, 2014 at 10:14 am

Two teenagers arrested in California for plotting school killings. One teenager turn himself in peacefully, the other ran away but was caught. Now I don’t know the color of the teenagers, but not one of those teenagers were gun down, even the one who tried to run away. I may be wrong but I bet they were white.

August 19, 2014 at 10:17 am

Perfect example of old, white, FOX reporter trying to tell protester what’s what…didn’t go so well. Idiot.

• 102 sabreen60
      August 19, 2014 at 10:21 am

And didn’t anyone see the host-pundit (white woman) on CNN ask if they [police] were going to use “water cannons”? (As if this is what should be used). The look on the face of here colleague (a young black guy) was like ‘have you lost your “f***king mind”. His look was priceless.

August 19, 2014 at 10:27 am

August 19, 2014 at 11:27 am

Did Taylor want the Feds to just start shooting? I don’t understand comments stated the way hers is here. In a way I’m tempted to think the contrast between the two situation is actually a positive one – the Feds showed #Ferguson what their response should have been like in the face of their protesters.

• 106 nospin
        August 19, 2014 at 4:46 pm

what she is saying is that they did not react to people that were armed but reacted to black people standing still on a street

August 19, 2014 at 4:56 pm

Hi NoSpin, I get that part. My understanding though is that in Ferguson, it’s not ‘the Feds’ who are reacting which such disrespect for citizens. So in a sense, I’m thinking that ‘the Feds’ modeled the reaction that Ferguson ought to be using – a wait and see, thus defusing a potential explosive situation.

22. 108 Betsy
    August 19, 2014 at 10:40 am

For those of us who are white and feel terrible for our fellow Americans who are being treated this way in Ferguson:

August 19, 2014 at 10:47 am

A lot of white people aren’t speaking out publicly against the killing of Michael Brown because they don’t see a space for themselves to engage meaningfully in the conversation so that they can move to action against racism. It’s not so much that they have nothing to say but rather they don’t see an opportunity being opened up for them to say something or to do something that matters. Or they might not be sure what to say or how to do it. They might have a hard time seeing a role for themselves in the fight against racism because they aren’t racist, they don’t feel that racism affects them or their loved ones personally, they worry that talking about race and differences between cultures might make things worse, or they think they rarely see overt racism at play in their everyday lives. And, sometimes, they are afraid. There’s a real fear of saying the wrong thing even if the intention is pure, of being alienated socially and economically from other white people for standing in solidarity with black people, or of putting one’s self in harm’s way, whether the harm be physical or psychological. I’m not saying those aren’t valid fears but I am challenging white people to consider carefully whether failing to speak out or act because of those fears is justified when white silence and inaction mean the oppression and death of black people.

Thanks, Betsy:)

• 110 japa21
        August 19, 2014 at 11:06 am

It even goes beyond that. There was a time when some white people who felt they were doing the right thing were viewed as being condescending or patronizing towards blacks. this caused some white people to step back.

The truth is most of us white folks cannot truly relate to the plight of the black citizens and no matter how hard we try we just cannot fully put ourselves into their shoes. We can say things like “it must be horrible to be in that situation” or “I understand how they must feel”, etc. But we can’t really understand the total degree of frustration, anger, resentment, etc. that is built into this situation.

Nor can we, because we are usually able to find ways to resolve problems within white society, get a real understanding of the degree of helplessness and hopelessness that the black community feels.

And it isn’t just a class war, because successful white folks do get treated differently than successful black folks. The fact that a black man dresses in a suit and drives a nice car does not mean he is somehow seen differently than a black teenager walking down the middle of the street.

It would be easy to say the best thing for the citizens of Ferguson to do would be to step back, calm down, stay at home for a couple nights and let the authorities deal with the troublemakers that are taking advantage of this situation. And maybe it would be the best thing. But how am I supposed to say that when blacks in this country have been told for decades to just calm down, back off, it will all get better and they have done that and nothing has changed.

There is a difference between an intellectual understanding of an issue and an emotional understanding of it, and whites may have the first but they don’t have the second.

I am not trying to say that whites can’t do something, obviously they can. But exactly what they can do is not as easy to define because what the most important thing they can do is change the mentality of other whites, whites who have been raised to fear the blak man, who have been raised to believe that blacks are just barely above animal level. These are people who see every act of a black person who doesn’t conform to their idea of what a person should do or say as validation for their fears. And they believe it is up to the blacks to prove them wrong.

And as long as a major political party pushes this meme, that blacks must prove themselves (with the unspoken statement that they never will) this will continue. And that party will continue to do so as long as it believes it is the only way to keep any power.

• 112 nospin
      August 19, 2014 at 4:49 pm

“A lot of white people aren’t speaking out publicly against the killing of Michael Brown because they don’t see a space for themselves to engage meaningfully in the conversation so that they can move to action against racism.”

start with — it is wrong. We are all human and everyone deserves to be respected. Call out ignorance and intolerance and demand better (basic respect, less hate) if they expect to engage with you going forward.

• August 19, 2014 at 9:10 pm

This, right here. “It is wrong.” “I cannot believe that it has been (fill in the blank w number) # of days since that young man was shot and his family still has no answers on the basic events of the day he died!” “How could anyone leave that young man lying in the road for hours?” “I know of lots of 18 year olds who have used marijuana, and if they were shot dead, our community would be heartbroken and angry too.” “I believe the witnesses who told their stories the first day, and I don’t believe anonymous callers giving hearsay on talk radio:”. Speaking up to other white people is one thing we can begin to do. Offering another opinion when someone states a wrong one isn’t easy, and they may not like it, but it’s how bullies get stopped. Anybody who unfriends us because we speak the truth —- good bye, now! Silence means consent. It may not always, does not always, work for me to speak up; but at least walk away; do not sit in the presence of anyone who is spreading lies and encouraging racist views. It is wrong to do that. We have to find the courage to start speaking out…

23. 114 99ts
    August 19, 2014 at 10:50 am

g’nite everyone – I do hope that things go well today for the people of Ferguson – and for all people who are oppressed in this manner. Keep safe

24. 118 CEB
    August 19, 2014 at 10:57 am

The great irony of the USA; we will go far abroad to protect the rights of selected persecuted minorities, we will speak about fair elections, we will condemn others for their failures in human rights, while in our own country we have long been guilty of these sins ourselves. The leaders and citizens of other countries are well aware of this hypocrisy. When they sit across negotiating tables they will have as ammunition the long voting lines and all of the moves to hinder and deny the right to vote, the many tales of members of an oppressed minority gunned down in the streets, unarmed, peacefully protesting citizens being persecuted by heavily armed police (so much for our much-vaunted constitutional rights), a national media, financed and controlled by a small group of wealthy white men, and a white majority that hates and does all that it can to marginalize and destroy a small minority (that is still less than 13% of the overall population). What can we dare to say to others when we have not cleaned up our own house, when we are guilty of the same crimes that we dare to take other countries to task? It is more than time that we truly take up all of our country’s ills and make a final push to cure them. For far too long, the sores have been covered with band aids, but it is so easy to pull them off and to see the infection underneath.
    When Buddhist monks, Amnesty International, and the war-torn and savaged Palestinans are compelled to reach out to help American citizens who are being persecuted from all sides, shows just how bad our unresolved racial issues are. I am sick and tired of being sick and tired. I love this country; I wish that my country loved me.

25. 120 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    August 19, 2014 at 11:00 am