Aug

Spare Me Your Praise of Jake Tapper

So, Jake Tapper got a bunch of praise for his reporting from Ferguson last night.

Twitter was waxing lyrical about him.

Why? Mainly because he described what he was witnessing.

It struck me that when we start commending any member of today’s MSM for simply reporting what their eyes are seeing, it’s a hell of a sign of how little we expect from them.

In fairness, he editorialized too, which was the main reason for the praise:

“Nobody is threatening anything. Nobody is doing anything. None of the stores here that I can see are being looted. There is no violence.”

“These are armed police. With machine – not machine guns- semiautomatic rifles, with batons, with shields, many of them dressed for combat. Now why they’re doing this, I don’t know. Because there is no threat going on here. None that merits this.”

“There is nothing going on on this street right now that merits this scene out of Bagram. Nothing. So if people wonder why the people of Ferguson, Missouri are so upset, this is part of the reason. What is this? This doesn’t make any sense.”

Good.

Very good.

Yes, we’ve been hearing and reading reporting similar to – and often way more powerful than this – mainly of the citizen kind, since the day Michael Brown was murdered, but better late than never from someone in the MSM.

Are you sensing a but?

It’s a big one, too.

CNN’s coverage from Ferguson all last night was intermingled with repeated references to Tapper’s Woodward and Bernstein-esque scoop: that a NEW version of events, that differed from that of the witnesses, had emerged!1!1!

(ie Darren Wilson’s version of events – Well, blow me down! - although they chose not to highlight that inconvenient snippet of info)

CNN kept reminding us, all through the night, of this ‘bombshell':

It wasn’t a scoop, of course. Tapper had simply picked up on a call by a ‘Josie’ to Dana Loesch’s show (that ‘Josie’ chose to call Loesch says it all, really) when she said she was a friend of Wilson and had his version of events.

So, that’s all it was – repeat: a friend of the cop who shot an unarmed Michael Brown six times, twice in the head, was passing on what he himself said had happened.

But this is how Tapper hyped it on Twitter:

No mention of the caller being a friend of Wilson who was simply passing on his version of events.

(If he was short of characters, he could have followed it up with another tweet – he chose not to).

Just a tease, that had his ‘That boy deserved to die!’ followers all a-tingle.

‘Josie’, whoever she is (and we know the speculation), was not a witness – she was simply repeating Wilson’s own story.

But this was the front page on CNN:

“…. with an account of Michael Brown’s death that a source said was accurate”?

This truly is Trayvon Martin all over again – just as so many in the media colluded with ‘Team Zimmerman’ and acted as his PR team, while smearing Trayvon, they’re doing the same for ‘Team Wilson’, while smearing Michael.

The source ‘with a detailed knowledge of the investigation’ did NOT, as the CNN lede suggested, say Josie’s account was “accurate” – simply, as Tapper had to clarify on his blog:

“A source with detailed knowledge of the case says Josie’s version

accurately matches what Wilson has told investigators.”

Well, yes – possibly because, you know, she got the version from Wilson.

But CNN trusted Josie to make her the story of the day. She was, they reassured us, ‘verified’.

Despite the fact her parroting of Wilson’s version of events contradicted that of Ferguson Police Chief Tom Jackson who confirmed that Wilson did not know Michael Brown was a suspect in an alleged robbery when he confronted Michael and his friend.

‘Josie':

“He pulled up ahead of them. And then he got a call-in that there was a strong-arm robbery. And, they gave a description. And, he’s looking at them and they got something in their hands and it looks like it could be what, you know those cigars or whatever….”

CNN even showed Jackson’s comments live. They must have forgotten them.

Looks like ‘Team Wilson’ is struggling to get its story straight – and CNN sure isn’t going to highlight the discrepancies.

Tapper made no mention of them in his initial blog post, but did say:

“CNN has methodically and deliberately vetted this woman’s account.”

Journalism.

There was, of course, plenty more in ‘Josie’s’ account that was risible, not least the suggestion that an unarmed black Ferguson teenager would start “taunting” and “bumrushing” an armed white Ferguson cop.

I’ve read lots about Michael Brown, nowhere did it mention he had a death wish.

But this was my favorite line from her:

“I had no idea it would turn in to this…”

She had no idea there would be a fuss about her cop friend shooting dead an unarmed black teenager.

Benjamin Crump’s response to Tapper when he brings up ‘Josie':

And here’s Tapper trying to swiftly change the subject when a freelance photographer, who was tear-gassed in Ferguson last night, mentions Trayvon Martin:

Well, after all, Zimmerman attorney Mark O’Mara is a CNN pundit, and was sharing his expertise with their viewers again last night, so they wouldn’t want to offend him.

(Let that sink in: CNN think it appropriate to use the attorney for the killer of Trayvon Martin as a commentator on the killing of Michael Brown)

Oh, it gets worse – read Allan Brauer here:

‘Christine Byers Tweeted What? How Authorities Use the Press to Disseminate Their Narrative’

And look who retweeted her ‘Team Wilson’ propaganda

At the last count, he helped this get RTed over 3000 times.

Again, read Allan for the details.

I think of LL’s tweet the other night:

We are hearing, reading, seeing what’s been happening in Ferguson from reporters and photographers who cared to get there as soon as Michael Brown was murdered, and people on the ground sharing what they were witnessing.

So, the MSM can’t hide this – we see you now, Ferguson.

But none of us witnessed Michael Brown’s murder, so that’s where we need the media to do its job.

So, Twitter friends, spare me your praise of Jake Tapper – his obscene hyping of the ‘Team Wilson’ ‘Josie’ story will overshadow forever any truth-telling he did from Ferguson last night, when, I suspect, his anger was more related to the treatment of his media colleagues than of the people of Ferguson.

Despite the lengthy rant, this isn’t just about Jake Tapper and CNN, it’s about every corner of the MSM and their handling of this story.

The #IfIWereGunnedDown hashtag told it more powerfully than anyone could.

Tapper deserves credit for his reporting from Ferguson last night – if it was Chuck Todd it would have been “this, like, never happened before Obama!1!1!” – but we didn’t actually need him, we already knew.

But that he used his privileged position in the MSM to so dishonestly promote that ‘Josie’ story – he deserves nothing but contempt.

And it matters. Relentless public pressure – ‘we see you Ferguson’ – along with the determination of the President and AG Holder, is the only hope of justice here. But we know what forces stand in the way.

Tapper’s ‘both sides’ bullshit helps erode that. And helps taint the mindset of possible future jurors.

By all means scrutinize Dorian Johnson’s testimony, but do the fucking same to the mysterious woman called Josie.

No more:

175 Responses to “Spare Me Your Praise of Jake Tapper”

1. August 19, 2014 at 7:53 pm

Seems wrong when the story teller becomes the star instead of the story

2. 8 andogriff
    August 19, 2014 at 7:59 pm

Amen, Ms Chips. It stinks. It reeks of cover-up, lies and just plain old racism. Again.

3. August 19, 2014 at 8:02 pm

Who the hell are those witnesses who supposedly corroborate Wilson’s version ? The witnesses we’ve seen so far are very credible.

I’ve grown so cynical of the Ferguson police I’m becoming a conspiracy theorist in this case, and thinking bribes, blackmail, threats.

August 19, 2014 at 8:10 pm

The Ferguson police are known for their lies and attempts to coverup their wrong-doing. So it’s no surprise that they would “invent” these so-called witnesses and try to pretend that they are reliable. But it’s WAY more disturbing when you have a supposedly “unbiased” media who so blatantly practices unethical reporting just to protect a killer cop. This SHOULD alarm anyone who is more than half awake.

• August 19, 2014 at 8:10 pm

I don’t know if anyone has really zeroed in on this fact, but the ‘Josie’ is not even really a friend of officer Wilson….she is recounting what Wilson’s wife(who she is friends with) told her last Sunday, the day after the shooting….which makes Tapper & CNN even more pathetic for broadcasting this total B.S.

4. August 19, 2014 at 8:05 pm

Tour de force, Chips!!!!! I’m so glad you posted the video of Ben Crump’s reaction as well…..BRAVO >-I >-I >-I

5. 16 99ts
    August 19, 2014 at 8:06 pm

Hey Ms Chips – so glad your rant mentioned Chuck Todd – before I left last night – I wrote then deleted an answer to your “rant coming” suggesting you include “ole chuck” – thought I should not give the bt advice on a post – but we sure think alike – next Sunday should be a dozy hearing Chuckie explain that he is not paid to tell the truth.

• 17 yardarm756
      August 19, 2014 at 9:34 pm

G’day Trish. Saw this earlier today. I thought you lot were ahead of us.

• 18 99ts
        August 19, 2014 at 10:02 pm

Main difference between my world & yours – we killed most of our native population before 1900.

Governments still attack those who survived because they are not enamored of the European lifestyle.

It always gets better when the adults are in charge but reverses quickly when the RW takes power.

• 20 99ts
        August 19, 2014 at 10:09 pm

Every country has issues – & although we all attack our own, we usually do not like to see “outsiders” pointing out our problems. As the world focuses on #Ferguson, I’m sure there will be many reporters calling out racism in other parts of the world – in an attempt to say “everyone does it”.

August 19, 2014 at 8:07 pm

Chips BRAVA for this post! I agree 100% with every word of your rant about Jake tapper and the MSM. The idea that the media is doing its level best to obstruct justice is not a figment of our imagination.

From the time this damn media started playing that “robbery” video on 24-hr loop – even after it was clear to everyone that it was unrelated to Brown’s encounter with the cop who killed him, I knew they announced to the Ferguson PD and all the white supremacists out there that they were a willing partner in the obstruction of justice and perpetuation of injustice and oppression.

On the same note, I will add I have been rather unimpressed with most of these “journalists” who have gone to Ferguson and somehow made themselves the story. It’s almost as if they were there to be entertained, to generate ratings/revenue for their respective networks, and to incite and foment more tensions between the rabid cops and rightfully angry residents.

7. August 19, 2014 at 8:08 pm

8. 28 dotster3
    August 19, 2014 at 8:13 pm

The editor of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch more or less condemned that tweet by Christine Byers, the one Tapper felt worthy of a retweet. She apparently is a police reporter for the paper who is currently on leave. She was forced to issue a correction saying the tweet in question did not meet standards for publication. Met Tapper’s standards though.

• 29 99ts
      August 19, 2014 at 8:27 pm

The original tweet is EVERYWHERE – the excuse for a retraction (like the bosses are left wing so I shouldn’t have said that) is nowhere. NO-ONE has seen or heard from those dozen witnesses – including the police – but the white folks need some love.

9. August 19, 2014 at 8:16 pm

For god’s sake, whoTF is “Josie,” and why is anyone listening to her? I, myself, from up here in Connecticut, might as well be saying what I thought happened… Would that be “justification”?

Mr. Police Officer Wilson is such a weiner that he can’t make a statement himself? He’s got some mystery woman speaking for him? This is so bizarre I can’t even begin to comprehend it.

Michael Brown was shot SIX TIMES. “Officer” Wilson left the scene. His car left the scene. Both he and his vehicle are material evidence. AREN’T THESE CRIMINAL ACTS?? No ambulance was called. No medical attention to the victim was permitted. No reports were filed. No hospital reports have been released concerning the alleged injuries “suffered” by Officer Wilson.

The GD shooter hasn’t even opened his mouth, and no one is asking him to do so. Can police officers operate outside the law…? If so, we all ought to be scared shitless. It’s a nightmare… A “police force” that answers only to itself, and not to the people who pay their salaries, and who count on them to “protect and serve.”

Gato

10. 32 Dudette
    August 19, 2014 at 8:24 pm

A break for some Geeky Nerdy History:

11. August 19, 2014 at 8:24 pm

AMENNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!

MS Chips!!

12. August 19, 2014 at 8:27 pm

Our very own Allan Brauer at TPV may have broken a major part of the Ferguson story. Not that the MSM cares, because blogger from his mom’s basement.

But how long did it take for the Jake Tappers to make it to Ferguson? Even my praise of him was, well, let’s be frank, snarky. I don’t generally opine that a journalist has “found his testicles” out of admiration. If not for Antonio French, if not for the live streamers, if not for the Tweeters, we would have known next to nothing.

WE ARE THE MEDIA. Folks on the ground with Twitter and smart phones are reporting. And I know, the MSM will say “But can you believe them?” Well, one person, no. But the crowd, all reporting, all their accounts in sync, yes. All the folks on the ground corroborate each other. That’s the media. I’ve been saying this for a few days now: we are in the middle of the second Internet revolution. It began with the Arab Spring, and has just been gaining momentum. The CNNs, the MSNBCs, the networks, they have their place; but they’re no longer the gate keepers.

And now, I have to go and put this into an essay.

13. August 19, 2014 at 8:31 pm

Good Evening TODVille!

Can anyone enlighten me? Why are the two RR in Darren’s name in a different color? What is the woman holding the sign trying to infer? What is the subtle message?

August 19, 2014 at 9:52 pm

I swear I was just scrolling around to look for you and your link! Thanks so much, once again.

14. 39 Dudette
    August 19, 2014 at 8:33 pm

Teensy bit more. :-D

• 40 Dudette
      August 19, 2014 at 8:34 pm

• 41 CEB
      August 19, 2014 at 8:57 pm

Literature was very prominent as well and I love that all of the captains were readers, who enjoyed physical books as well as the digital ones that they read on their personal tablets. I have been a Star Trek Geek since its inception.

• 42 Dudette
        August 19, 2014 at 9:19 pm

I loved those aspects to. Had a major impact on me growing up.

• 43 MadameSoph
          August 19, 2014 at 9:46 pm

Dudette, I’m a fellow geek too! (comics, cosmology, Star Trek, etc. etc.) Gene Roddenberry was so influential in so many ways.

I’ll never forget Whoopi Goldberg’s comments about how she was a Star Trek fan because it was the only science fiction show that depicted black people in the future :-)

• 44 Dudette
            August 19, 2014 at 10:45 pm

Yep, I remember Whoopie’s comments and laughed so hard, because it was true for me. Like her, I was also attracted to Roddenberry’s vision of a future with the kind of diversity in that show.

As a kid I was just entranced by Lt. Uhura/Nichelle Nichols (and had a HUGE crush on Mr. Spock). I’m one of those kids MLKJr. was talking about when he encouraged Ms. Nichols to stay on the show longer than she originally wanted to, because little black boys & girls needed to see someone like them on TV in the kind of role she was portraying.

It was more than just a Western in Space as Gene liked to described it. The Star Trek universe resonated strongly with me especially as a military kid fortunate enough to have lived abroad & experienced other cultures in my formative years. Star Trek gave me an interest in both science and science fiction. I’m the geeky-nerd that I am because of Gene Roddenberry. :-)

15. 46 sherijr
    August 19, 2014 at 8:35 pm

I wish I could tweet this a thousand times, Chips. Thank YOU!

16. August 19, 2014 at 8:37 pm

Tapper’s only interview outside of Ferguson today:

17. 49 japa21
    August 19, 2014 at 8:42 pm

As 99ts mentioned above, the only reason Tapper and others are giving a pretty accurate report is because the police have targeted some of their fellow journalists. Journalists, like the police, tend to circle the wagons when some of their circle are attacked, Remember how quickly everybody defended Fox when PBO and the administration said Fox wasn’t really a legitimate news station?

But going further, particularly when you look at how the media (and I really should say particularly the top media “stars” such as Tapper and Chuckie Toad treat PBO, I have come to realize that money lays a big role. And no, I am not talking Koch brothers money.

These are folks that make 2, 3, 4 times what the President makes and I think they actually believe that they must be brilliant to deserve that kind of money. They look down on people that make less as being their inferiors, and that includes the President.

Their egos, supported by that much money cannot perceive of any other way of looking at the world. Which is also why they tend to defend GOP positions which protects their income. They don’t realize that they are some of the most overpaid professionals, and I use that word loosely, in the world. Even super highly paid athletes and actors at least earn the money back for those paying them, and they don’t pretend to be anything but what they are.

So when, every once in a blue moon, they do something right, not well but at least right, they don’t deserve praise, they deserve a sigh f relief or an easing back on the condemnation until they mess up again.

You praise a child when he or she actually uses the toilet, even if most of the time they don’t make it in time. You praise a pet when it does something right while being trained. You don’t praise a journalist for barely getting it right and then only due to suspicious motivations.

August 19, 2014 at 9:29 pm

Japa this is an excellent commentary. The part you alluded to about these journalists being paid excessive amounts is something I’ve often considered to be one of the biggest problems with our current National media. The national media is not representative of the population, economically and demographically, and in my opinion, this is a serious issue that has not been given enough attention.

As long as the media continues to pay excessive amounts to push the narratives of the 1%, we will continue to see the media spew the GOP line. It’s not going to change. The only way it can change is when people stop buying the news papers, turn off the TV’s and stop following these GOP mouthpieces on Twitter, blogs, etc.

• August 19, 2014 at 10:04 pm

“These are people that don’t even practice the art of journalism, under its technical definitions but have fooled themselves into believing they do.”

THIS !!!!

August 19, 2014 at 8:44 pm

Good reminder from ya for all of us, Chips: Don’t go thinking we’re not thirsty any more, just because we guzzled one drop of water.

19. 54 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    August 19, 2014 at 8:44 pm

Oh, so he had his wine, shower, and good night’s sleep? Last night’s tweet:

August 19, 2014 at 8:48 pm

Would someone tweet this to Jake Tapper? He’s blocked me and others.

21. 57 Dudette
    August 19, 2014 at 8:50 pm

Oh yeh, today is also the birthday of:

Orville Wright
    Tennis Pro and Commentator, Mary Jo Fernandez
    Actor Jonathan Frakes (Star Trek Next Generation’s Jonathan Frakes, Commander Riker)
    Actor Jim Carter (Downton Abbey, Carson)
    Actress Kyra Sedgewick
    Actor Alan Arkin
    Rappers Nate Dogg and Fat Joe
    Publisher Malcolm Forbes
    Actor and former President Wannabe, Fred Thompson
    Actor and former President Bill Clinton

22. 72 99ts
    August 19, 2014 at 8:52 pm

Karl Rove has alot to answer for – first time I knew he delivered Rick Perry to Texas

” And it will be no minor irony that Perry, who came into statewide office as the result of a grand jury investigation, might just end his carer as an outcome of the same process. “

23. August 19, 2014 at 8:52 pm

Thank you for a brilliant, comprehensive post which connects all dots and lights up the land with truth and insight. This what, third hand hearsay detailed baloney sandwich is treated as truth, testimony, and worthy of going mano a mano with numerous eyewitness accounts from day one? And that it matches DW The Killer’s Account? What Account? Have we been given any report or account by the murdering disappearing coward who disdained to follow basic police procedure and rules after firing his weapon, taking a life, and creating a crime scene? Nothing to compare it to cause we are still waiting. FOIA request : what happened? Filed, and then all we got was an unrelated damaging smear tactic to convict Mike Brown. Thank you for thoughtful careful truth. Thank you for TOD, morning noon and night.

August 19, 2014 at 9:03 pm

^^^ THIS.

• 75 jackiegrumbacher
      August 19, 2014 at 10:03 pm

This is the nub of it Nancie. The hearsay evidence of a woman nobody knows backs up an account no one has ever heard from the silent murderer of Mike Brown. It’s beyond lunacy to treat her “story” as evidence and it is complete BS to suggest there are witnesses on her ‘side.’ The media believes we are incapable of logic and devoid of reason. It’s a massive insult to all Americans and a deliberate and ugly shot at the actual witnesses at the scene.

24. 77 JER
    August 19, 2014 at 8:56 pm

25. 78 dotster3
    August 19, 2014 at 8:58 pm

Way OT, but look at this double play by Chgo’s Little League team playing in the LL World Series. Big Time! They have 2 wins and one loss, up 3-1 currently, have to win to advance. But wow.

26. 82 Nena20409
    August 19, 2014 at 8:59 pm

Excellent Piece Lady Chips.

I am very Glad that You, my dear Lady is on Our Side.
    Brilliantly done.

Pure Journalism that the wicked Tapper, Chuck Todd and of their kind will Never attempt to master.

27. 83 Nena20409
    August 19, 2014 at 9:03 pm

ww.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2014/08/19/earthquakes-iceland-volcano-glacier/14288877/

LONDON (AP) — Thousands of small intense earthquakes are rocking Iceland amid concerns that one of the country’s volcanoes may be close to erupting.

Iceland has raised its aviation alert level for the risk of a possible volcanic eruption to orange — the second-most severe level. The alert is worrisome because of the chaos that followed the April 2010 eruption of Eyjafjallajokul, when more than 100,000 flights were cancelled because volcanic ash floating in the atmosphere is considered an aviation safety hazard.

Some 3,000 earthquakes have taken place since Saturday in Bardarbunga — a subglacial stratovolcano located under Iceland’s largest glacier. Iceland’s Meteorological Office said that no earthquakes above magnitude 3 have been recorded in the last 24 hours.

28. August 19, 2014 at 9:04 pm

This one might be a game changer in the GA Senate race…….. Perdue is gonna have Romney flashbacks from now til November:

ALG also has some hard hitters:

29. August 19, 2014 at 9:06 pm

A little note to Ms Byers ….

August 19, 2014 at 9:12 pm

Pelosi debunks each and every one of Republican “jobs” bills….no such animal. She takes them down, one by one

August 19, 2014 at 9:15 pm

Found this comment from this post interesting…had no idea we could do this!

And the key here is to go to http://www.popvox.com and search for each bill. Once there vote on the bill and make sure you state it isn’t a job’s bill. Your message will go to your congressman and also be placed on the Congressional record.

31. August 19, 2014 at 9:13 pm

• August 19, 2014 at 9:34 pm

A message from Jim’s mom, Diane Foley:

We have never been prouder of our son Jim. He gave his life trying to expose the world to the suffering of the Syrian people. We implore the kidnappers to spare the lives of the remaining hostages. Like Jim, they are innocents. They have no control over American government policy in Iraq, Syria or anywhere in the world. We thank Jim for all the joy he gave us. He was an extraordinary son, brother, journalist and person. Please respect our privacy in the days ahead as we mourn and cherish Jim.

• 92 jackiegrumbacher
        August 19, 2014 at 10:09 pm

Imagine how difficult it must have been for Diane Foley to write this. It shows so much compassion for others, while honoring her son’s life. Whether your child is murdered in the street or dies on the job in Syria, the loss and the heartache are unimaginable.

32. 93 Vicki
    August 19, 2014 at 9:18 pm

Chips! A magnificent and monumental essay. Every word of which is important and truthful. What LL has been saying is true, isn’t it. Real journalism is happening not on our TV screens, at least not regularly, and not in our newspapers.
    It is happening here

33. August 19, 2014 at 9:20 pm

The circumstances surround the murder of Mike Brown have gone so out of the realm of reason, I can hardly stomach any of it. From the horrific act of murder itself to the way the entire event was handled by the police to way the media and the police have so brazenly distorted and manipulated the public from the very beginning, it’s just beyond comprehension. If I weren’t here witnessing it, I wouldn’t believe it. It’s just too sick and twisted.

August 19, 2014 at 9:37 pm

A large part of the distortion is being carried out by the media at the behest of their GOP owners and sponsors. The media WANTS people to be tired, confused and throw their hands up in frustration. The media is obscuring details, reporting misinformation, wrong info, and is actively involved in the obstruction of justice. The media is also exploiting a certain segment of Black journalists – distracting them, and making them attack PBO instead of focusing their attention rightfully where it should be – on that killer cop and the need to see that his actions are met with justice.

I have not watched a single cable TV news station since this story broke out – and I don’t feel like I’ve missed anything. In fact, the opposite – I’m better informed and less distracted by the MSM’s shenanigans. I urge my fellow TODers (who have access to the internet) to turn off the cable news stations – they are ALL pushing the same agenda. For them this is all entertainment, with the underlying hope that the police officer walks free. The US media has NO sympathy or concern for poor Black communities regardless of what they may claim.

August 19, 2014 at 10:09 pm

‘ I’m better informed and less distracted by the MSM’s shenanigans. I urge my fellow TODers (who have access to the internet) to turn off the cable news stations – they are ALL pushing the same agenda.’

This is one time I’m not sure I agree with you, Hopef, about turning off the CNStations. As you state, media is obscuring details, inserting their own truths and I think I feel that around this issue some of us need to know what is being said so that we can better present the truth. Notice I said ‘some of us’ because there is no doubt others of us can’t handle the media garbage. I for one cannot. Those who can, I think, need to go into the sewers to better understand what’s being concocted there. Remember this is not like the nightly, weekly punditry or routine news. For example, if Chips Chica didn’t know what was being said she wouldn’t have been able to rebut it so effectively.

August 19, 2014 at 10:19 pm

“As you state, media is obscuring details, inserting their own truths and I think I feel that around this issue some of us need to know what is being said so that we can better present the truth.”

I agree with you vc in this particular context. But I was thinking more along the lines of those of us who have internet access, Twitter in particular.

Because then we can get the same misinformation – AND can push back in read time.

The stuff that Jake Tapper said, for example, was not obtained by watching CNN on TV – it was based on a tweet that Tapper sent. And people (including Chips, and others) were able to push back on Twitter right away.

Most people who rely on solely on cable TV for news are passive listeners – they are for the most part unlikely to actively push back to misinformation because it takes more time, and is not as effective. With Twitter, not only can you push back immediately – but OTHERS on Twitter can see your push-back. That is not the case if you send and email, snail mail or phone call a complaint to a news station about a particular story.

August 19, 2014 at 10:36 pm

We agree on the general merits (none) of cable TV watching, Hf. However, there are little pieces here I could quibble with you about, but haven’t the fortitude tonight. Will say that while there was push-back against Tapper on twitter, some of us would have missed what his cohorts in the station were saying and would therefore have been unable to tailor our push-back so it’d be more/most effective.

Re those passive listeners, I’m of the mind that we should continue to reach out to them even when we are frustrated by their apathy and their acceptance of the garbage they are fed. Most won’t actively push back, but I’m thinking more and more these days that we probably should make the effort to educate them for their own, as well as the general, good. That however, is a convo (sparked by my lunch date yesterday) for another day.

August 19, 2014 at 10:38 pm

Good points vc – all well taken! I do think those “passive TV viewers” will come around – they HAVE to.

August 19, 2014 at 10:45 pm

‘The days of being blissfully apathetic are slowly slipping away, if not well behind us.’

True, they are slipping behind for many.

And then there are those who aren’t really apathetic, they just trust a) the old sources and b) the unity of the old ‘reliable’ sources. I mean, if more than one ‘top’ source said it then there must be some truth to it, right.? They wouldn’t all make up such a story if there weren’t elements of truth. Never see smoke without fire…yada, yada. :roll: :roll:

Ay yi yi!

• 101 jackiegrumbacher
        August 19, 2014 at 10:27 pm

Hf, I always keep in mind the fact that it is to the advantage of the media owners to promote cynicism and thus disaffection among minority voters. It is also in their best interest if Americans start believing that need a strong “white” father figure, law and order president in 2016. They are looking for a double header out of Ferguson–depress the minority vote in 2014 and focus positive attention on to a tough GOPer for 2016.

August 19, 2014 at 9:40 pm

You’ve pretty much described how I’ve been feeling, although I couldn’t verbalize it.

• 104 amk for obama
      August 19, 2014 at 9:47 pm

orwell was such a rabblerouser, who didn’t know what he was talking about,

• 105 arapaho415
      August 19, 2014 at 9:51 pm

Meta,

Did you see this (posted around noonish our time), a gem discovered by JO’B.

It’s worth a click to see the other photos.

Everything about this execution by police is surreal.

Lyin’ Ryan saying the police are doing their job (didn’t watch the video) vs. what the police state in Ferguson actually looks like:
      Prague 1968

Supporters of Darren Wilson and the city of Ferguson deny that people of color exist in their communities, have (all white) PR firms that reassure audience that yes, Ferguson truly is a town from 1961 (when the Twilight Zone was prime time TV).

• 107 Alycee (@jazziz2)
      August 19, 2014 at 9:54 pm

I swear they are sloppily trying to run COINTELPRO, straight out of the 60’s mimeographed playbook…

August 19, 2014 at 9:29 pm

Hey! This is something we can use to good advantage…

Find a bill your care about.
    Choose to Support or Oppose it.
    Share your opinion with Congress & the world.

August 19, 2014 at 9:30 pm

ABOUT POPVOX
      POPVOX bridges the gap between the input the public wants to provide and the information Members of Congress want and need to receive. Designed by people who understand Congress, POPVOX is different from other political sites. It is not a discussion forum. It is a place for action. For more about the site, see About POPVOX or Why It Works.

August 19, 2014 at 9:33 pm

Why POPVOX Works

POPVOX was designed by people who understand Congress to get your message through in a way that Congress needs to receive it. POPVOX is different from other political sites. It is not a discussion forum. It is a place for action.

The key to POPVOX is transparency and accountability. POPVOX goes beyond just getting your message to Congress. It ensures that your input is counted. Instead of relying on overworked Congressional staff with inadequate tools to process your message through their office procedures, POPVOX counts the positions you take on a specific bill and catalogs your message so that Congressional staffers — and others looking for information on the issue — can assess what people are really saying. When the information coming into your Members of Congress is public, counted, sorted and searchable, your voice is amplified — and Congress can’t ignore it.

You take action on POPVOX by selecting from bills pending in Congress, choosing to support or oppose, and writing a message to Congress. By tying your input to a specific bill, you are doing more than expressing an opinion, you are asking your legislator to take specific action.

Your comment will be displayed publicly, with your screen name and district, on POPVOX as a part of the record for the bills you choose. Your comment will also be forwarded onto your Members of Congress with your real name, address, and phone number — information they need to know that you are a real constituent.

Be counted when decisions are made. With POPVOX your voice is:

Sorry…I think it sounds like a great tool :)

• 112 Dudette
      August 19, 2014 at 10:17 pm

On the surface it sounds like a very neat tool.

Haven’t looked through the website itself yet, but gotta say I cringed a bit when I did a search in Twitter and marjority of hits are from RWers — particularly Heritage Action, activist arm of Heritage Foundation and Fair Tax Nation. Look looking at profiles of individuals tweeting about it reads like GOP convention roll call. :-)

Maybe the righties just happen to be using it most recently, so their hits came up first. Hoping that’s the case and it really is for everyone,

Will look into it further.

August 19, 2014 at 10:30 pm

Thanks for the deeper investigation:) Definitely let us know…seems like it SHOULD be a good tool…maybe this needs to be “taken back’ from the RWNJ’s and made more democratic :) small d democratic…

35. August 19, 2014 at 9:29 pm

A bit of silliness.

36. 116 arapaho415
    August 19, 2014 at 9:31 pm

The article linked in this tweet is about AG Holder and the request by African American attorneys for St. Louis County Prosecutor Robert McCulloch to remove himself from the investigation of Brown’s death and let the Justice Department take over the case, not about the Brown Family Memorial Service (as is indicated in the tweet – confusing, I know).

The article also says that the federal autopsy has been completed.

37. August 19, 2014 at 9:32 pm

38. 118 99ts
    August 19, 2014 at 9:32 pm

I think someone linked to this in an earlier post – but worth reading if you haven’t seen it

On Ryan, Christie & a brief mention of she who would be President.

39. August 19, 2014 at 9:33 pm

40. August 19, 2014 at 9:36 pm

So well done, Captain Chipsticks, thought there was going to be some ‘colorful’ language. This was tame. For what he deserves. Anyway, I suppose now that this dimmest candle on the cake has had an entire TOD post dedicated to exposing and defining his idiocy, he will probably go around thinking he’s all that. Right? History will not be kind to these phonies.

41. August 19, 2014 at 9:40 pm

Chips, this is one hell of a post! This is what journalistic integrity is about…well done. Thank you very much.

42. August 19, 2014 at 9:43 pm

August 19, 2014 at 9:43 pm

Police to Al Jazeera journalist near Ferguson: ‘I’ll bust your head’
    Producer Aaron Ernst looks back on an encounter with local police near Ferguson that almost led to his arrest

44. August 19, 2014 at 9:46 pm

This is a big deal, TOD friends ….

… a very big deal given that these clerics are Sunnis condemning an ostensibly Sunni ‘caliphate.’

• August 19, 2014 at 10:49 pm

ISIS wants to destroy. And so many lives have been shattered. So many lives lost.

But in the end ISIS could end up being the catalyst for POSITIVE change in the Middle-East. It’s heartwarming to see people of different faiths, even historical enemies, willing to work together.

45. 128 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    August 19, 2014 at 9:47 pm

August 19, 2014 at 9:48 pm

That’s a fun story, all right.

• 130 carolyn
        August 19, 2014 at 10:00 pm

Perry is trying to undermine this case by making fun of it and laughing at it. That reeks of desperation to me. People who serve on grand juries take their responsibilities seriously, and they are justifiably upset at his treatment of them.
        Once again, the press and Perry’s side are trying to make a totally unrelated incident proof that they did nothing wrong. The County D.A.’s DUI has nothing to do with the case against Perry.

August 19, 2014 at 10:13 pm

So true. It’s all a shell game to them, the ol’ smoke and mirrors, because that’s all they have! Hope Perry goes down fast, although I won’t waste my time wishing him any more bad news than he’s earned all by himself. Couldn’t happen to a nicer guy.

August 19, 2014 at 9:49 pm

but, but … I thought you LIKED jake.

August 19, 2014 at 9:51 pm

oh goody. now ac is in ferguson. now, we will get all the facts.

48. August 19, 2014 at 9:51 pm

Thanks LP for the heads-up …

49. 136 MadameSoph
    August 19, 2014 at 9:52 pm

Thank you Chips for this excellent commentary on the sorry state of journalism today. So-called ‘journalists’ have sunken to simply reporting on tweets, opinion and innuendo. Those who actually research and verify and keep themselves out of the story are far too rare these days.

50. 137 HZ
    August 19, 2014 at 9:53 pm

Thank you for saying this, my Chips. This is why I feel so grateful to be a member of this great TOD family. You call it for what it is and that is what makes this place so special and whole. Thank you, my beautiful angel.HZ

August 19, 2014 at 9:56 pm

According to Adorno’s theory, the elements of the Authoritarian personality type are:

Blind allegiance to conventional beliefs about right and wrong
    Respect for submission to acknowledged authority
    Belief in aggression toward those who do not subscribe to conventional thinking, or who are different
    A negative view of people in general – i.e. the belief that people would all lie, cheat or steal if given the opportunity
    A need for strong leadership which displays uncompromising power
    A belief in simple answers and polemics – i.e. The media controls us all or The source of all our problems is the loss of morals these days.
    Resistance to creative, dangerous ideas. A black and white worldview.
    A tendency to project one’s own feelings of inadequacy, rage and fear onto a scapegoated group
    A preoccupation with violence and sex

52. 139 Dudette
    August 19, 2014 at 9:56 pm

Hmm…

August 19, 2014 at 9:58 pm

Speak out loud and proud!

“We will have to repent in this generation not merely for the hateful words and actions of the bad people but for the appalling silence of the good people.”
    ― Martin Luther King Jr.

August 19, 2014 at 9:59 pm

Investigative journalism as it should be! Thank you ever so much for this Ms Chipsticks;I notice that the I got some pieces that I had previously missed. I notice that the Byers misinformation got oodles of retweest, and I wonder if we can do our very, very best to get this eye-opening post retweeted and retweeted and …

55. 142 Dudette
    August 19, 2014 at 10:02 pm

MSNBC announcing Mo Gov will not ask the Ferguson prosecutor to recuse himself from the Michael Brown. [Color me, NOT surprised] :roll:

56. August 19, 2014 at 10:08 pm

August 19, 2014 at 10:12 pm

I’m having some very unpopular and unsettling thoughts about the James Foley situation right now. I will leave it that for now.

August 19, 2014 at 10:12 pm

oh great, now don lemon is holding a townhall named black and white in america. such a cute title too.

and our buddy, lil jake is “walking with the protesters”.

farce doesn’t even cover it.

59. August 19, 2014 at 10:15 pm

And now, Claire M. is defending the county prosecutor. She is FULL BLOWN behind him and also defends the Gov. for not asking him to step down. OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can’t believe this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is ????????? I just can’t find the words……….SIGH!!!!!!!

60. 161 arapaho415
    August 19, 2014 at 10:16 pm

61. 162 arapaho415
    August 19, 2014 at 10:17 pm

62. 164 GGAIL
    August 19, 2014 at 10:17 pm

Chips, this is AWESOME!
    As tired as I am, I was compelled to read it to the very end.

Beautiful!!

63. 165 jackiegrumbacher
    August 19, 2014 at 10:18 pm

Chips, thank you for laying it all out on the Tapper nonsense. It’s vital that the poseurs know we see through them and understand the depth of the hypocrisy. You shined a big light on the Tapper as journalist farce and exposed his phoniness for all the world to see. Brava!!!!

• 166 COS
      August 19, 2014 at 10:27 pm

This!!!! Thanks a million for this Chips. Not exactly related, but this reminds me of the praise bestowed upon Rand Paul when he makes these phony statements to appease blacks. I cringe every time I hear him being praised by the Emos and the media.

64. 167 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    August 19, 2014 at 10:26 pm

65. August 19, 2014 at 10:30 pm

Please RT this link to Yardarm’s excellent post on the former thread:

August 19, 2014 at 10:32 pm

another thread, may be? LL are you working on something now?

67. 173 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    August 19, 2014 at 10:33 pm

68. August 19, 2014 at 10:42 pm

thank you Chips for putting it all out there and telling all sorts of truths….

THANK YOU!