Aug

Rise and Shine

On This Day: First Lady Michelle Obama and guests watch Big Time Rush perform during the Kids’ State Dinner in the East Room of the White House, Aug. 20, 2012 (Photo by Sonya N. Hebert)

St Louis Post-Dispatch: From Eric Holder: A message to the people of Ferguson

Since the Aug. 9 shooting death of Michael Brown, the nation and the world have witnessed the unrest that has gripped Ferguson, Mo. At the core of these demonstrations is a demand for answers about the circumstances of this young man’s death and a broader concern about the state of our criminal justice system.

At a time when so much may seem uncertain, the people of Ferguson can have confidence that the Justice Department intends to learn — in a fair and thorough manner — exactly what happened.

Today, I will be in Ferguson to be briefed on the federal civil rights investigation that I have closely monitored since I launched it more than one week ago. I will meet personally with community leaders, FBI investigators and federal prosecutors from the Justice Department’s Civil Rights Division and the U.S. Attorney’s Office to receive detailed briefings on the status of this case.

The full resources of the Department of Justice have been committed to the investigation into Michael Brown’s death. This inquiry will take time to complete, but we have already taken significant steps.

More here

President Obama and Malia arriving at Cape Cod Coast Guard Air Station yesterday

In case you missed it:

SmartyPants: The Obama Way … on Ferguson

Yesterday President Obama once again talked about the shooting of Michael Brown and subsequent events in Ferguson. Like clockwork, he got criticized from the right for “racializing” the situation and from the left for not being bold enough in talking about the racial dynamics. Same story, eighty-second verse.

What I find interesting is that this time around, we’re seeing some journalists attempt to explain the President’s measured response to his critics on the left. Ezra Klein jumped into those waters as did Christi Parsons and Kathleen Hennessy at the LA Times. Both articles make claims that President Obama has learned from “mistakes” in the past and that he has changed his approach to dealing with this issue. I suspect there there is an element of truth to that. But overall, his response seems to fit perfectly into what I have always seen as “the Obama Way.”

More here

On This Day: President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama at Mintwood Place in Washington D.C. (Photo by Scout Tufankjian for Obama for America)

Another short R&S, we’ll catch up through the day – morning everyone!

76 Responses to “Rise and Shine”

1. 1 Allison
    August 20, 2014 at 9:39 am

GM Chips, GM TOD Family!

August 20, 2014 at 9:45 am

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

What? I am just a messenger.

3. August 20, 2014 at 9:55 am

How beautiful she looks in those two photos

August 20, 2014 at 9:59 am

• 10 japa21
      August 20, 2014 at 10:05 am

More importantly for PBO not coming out with snap judgements immediately after Benghazi instead of waiting for the facts.

• 11 57andfemale
        August 20, 2014 at 10:17 am

And the IRS “scandal”. He came out, outraged that the IRS would target the RW groups. Only to find out that EVERYONE with a potentially political agenda was being screened.

August 20, 2014 at 9:59 am

August 20, 2014 at 10:03 am

Just so we’re clear…THIS is PBO’s foreign policy. I support this global cooperation 110%! About time we’re not the only one’s fighting the world’s battles!

BERLIN (AP) — Germany said Wednesday it is prepared to arm Kurdish fighters battling Sunni insurgents in northern Iraq.
    Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier cited the “barbaric” actions of the Islamic State group that has taken control of large parts of Iraq in recent weeks, and the threat that their further advance could pose to the region and Europe.
    “We are prepared, in principle, to provide weapons and ammunition within our means,” Steinmeier told reporters in Berlin.
    He said Germany would closely coordinate its efforts with France, Britain and Italy, and other European countries had expressed a willingess to deliver weapons to the Kurds.
    France began shipping arms to Kurdish forces last week and has also supplied similar weapons to Western-backed Syrian opposition forces. The French government announced Wednesday it was getting a new shipment of humanitarian aid ready for Iraq as minorities under attack by Sunni militants issued a new appeal for help.
    A German defense ministry spokesman said a decision on the exact type and amount of equipment Germany sends would be taken within a week.
    Kurdish authorities in northern Iraq have submitted a “wish list” of weapons they need to the international community, said Jens Flossdorff. Training for Kurdish fighters was also being examined, he said.
    Germany, France and Britain have already sent dozens of tons of humanitarian aid to help refugees in northern Iraq.

• 14 japa21
      August 20, 2014 at 10:16 am

ISIS is in big trouble and it knows it, which is one of the reasons they did what wthey did with Rosen. They are starting to get desperate. Consider what has happened just in recent days.

Their attempt to massacre 40,000 innocents was stopped by a combination of US air strikes and Kurdish military action.

They lost the Mosul dam and other ground they had gained.

Their actions have forced the change in government in Iraq into something that hopefully will be better able to pull the different factions together.

Iraq and Saudi Arabia have actually reached out to each other, something totally unheard of, specially since SA had been a major benefactor for ISIS.

Perhaps most significantly, the top Sunni religious leader in SA has declared ISIS an enemy to Islam. Militarily, this does little, but psychologically it tears at the foundation of ISIS’s limited public support.

ISIS has counted on the population under its control to not fight back against it because they are all Sunnis together and through fear. They can no longer count on the Sunni togetherness to keep the locals from turning against them.

This is still not going to be over quickly. But the last couple weeks, and specially the last couple days has seen a major momentum shift.

The type of action currently being undertaken by the Western powers, most of whom were not involved in the Bush fiasco, and which is being led by PBO, is measured to do two things.

1. To debilitate ISIS enough that the Iraqi forces can finish them off, and

2. Not to antagonize the Iraqis by being too heavy handed.

The West is supporting the Iraqis, not taking over for them. This is critical, as it is important the Iraqis, when all is done, rightfully believe they overcame ISIS, not the West.

August 20, 2014 at 10:03 am

Although in Diane Foley’s statement, she basically implied as much. That really bothered me…

August 20, 2014 at 10:07 am

if rewarded by voters with their first Senate majority in a decade, Republicans don’t intend to use their new-found congressional power to just spin their wheels. Manu Raju reports today that GOP leaders have a very different kind of plan in mind.
    Mitch McConnell has a game plan to confront President Barack Obama with a stark choice next year: Accept bills reining in the administration’s policies or risk a government shutdown.

In an extensive interview here, the typically reserved McConnell laid out his clearest thinking yet of how he would lead the Senate if Republicans gain control of the chamber. The emerging strategy: Attach riders to spending bills that would limit Obama policies on everything from the environment to health care, consider using an arcane budget tactic to circumvent Democratic filibusters and force the president to “move to the center” if he wants to get any new legislation through Congress.

In short, it’s a recipe for a confrontational end to the Obama presidency.

• 22 japa21
      August 20, 2014 at 10:19 am

It is also a tactic that will be suicidal in 2016. But I don’t believe they will win the Senate.

• August 20, 2014 at 11:35 am

I’ve been quite optimistic that the repubs won’t gain more power in 2014 but we never know…

In my opinion, Congress is the most powerful branches of the three in the federal government. The omnipotent presidency is a myth. Pure and simple.

Congress legislates, Congress decides where goes the money.

The power of the presidency is limited. We could argue that “the bully pulpit” gives power to the President (political power that is, not constitutional power). Maybe in the past. But nowadays America suffers from a dysfunctional media that has abdicated the role of truth-checker, that is addicted to controversy. In this new environment, the bully pulpit doesn’t have a lot of power anymore. The president’s words are lost in the cacophony.

If the media doesn’t call out the liars, it puts all speech on equal footing. So in the end what really makes a difference is REAL, Constitutional power. And on that front, Congress is much more powerful than the president, at least when it comes to domestic matters.

9. 25 daisydem
    August 20, 2014 at 10:07 am

The President’s daughters amaze me! They are both beautiful (and I am sure accomplished …. though we are not privy to too much information about them and that is the way it should be. Above all, I respect their right to privacy and am happy that President Obama and Michelle are providing that). These pics of Malia show a young woman who seems demure and yet very confident at the same time. And happy. The smiles are so natural and sweet, and then her stride as she walks beside her Daddy is full of that Michelle Obama grace and confidence. I just love them all!

August 20, 2014 at 10:09 am

Then, there’s this:)

August 20, 2014 at 10:12 am

August 20, 2014 at 10:14 am

13. August 20, 2014 at 10:15 am

Does Begich have any shot at win?

• 34 Vicki
      August 20, 2014 at 10:18 am

Begich is favored. Please Jovie, democratic optimism is the way to go and in this case it is factual.
      RCP, an entirely GOP mouthpiece has an article up “Is Alaska Senate slipping away from GOP?”

• August 20, 2014 at 10:48 am

From the article you referenced, Jovie:

=====

Yet there are no signs of a Republican “wave” election; most of the positive trajectory remain attributable to a lucky Senate landscape this particular cycle and to the turnout advantages the older and whiter GOP automatically enjoys in midterms these days. So the assumption many Republicans seem to have that they’ll get all the “late breaks” in close races isn’t really warranted at this point. Nor is the much-discussed “enthusiasm gap” a reliable indicator. As Republican pollster Neil Newhouse warned recently (per the Washington Post’s Chris Cillizza), the same “gap” existed in 2012:

“The enthusiasm gap was taken to the woodshed by the Obama team’s [get out the vote] efforts,” writes Newhouse. “In a nutshell, the Democrats turned out voters who were ‘unenthusiastic,’ ‘unexcited’ and not ‘energized’ to vote, rendering the ‘enthusiasm gap’ meaningless.”

…So while Republicans can rightly be pleased that they avoided disaster during the Senate primary cycle, it’s far too early for gloating.

• 37 Vicki
          August 20, 2014 at 11:23 am

Optimism gets Democratic voters to the polls, Jovie
          Why would you repeat GOP propaganda

• 38 arapaho415
      August 20, 2014 at 10:32 am

Posted on Early Bird thread.

Depends on who you ask, @nytimes (62% Dem), Nate Silver (even) or WaPo (64% GOP):

• August 20, 2014 at 11:51 am

Just out PPP poll has Begich up by 4 pts over Sullivan.

14. August 20, 2014 at 10:22 am

Thank you for this Rise and Shine. Between Chips’ excellent piece on Tapper and Smartypants on the Obama Way, I feel fired up and ready to face the day! I just can’t believe how pathetic the press has become. Obviously there are exceptions but they are almost all citizen journalists or independent journalists. The level of journalism on the cable and major networks is just appalling.

• 41 arapaho415
      August 20, 2014 at 10:37 am

Worse than pathetic, agree that it is appalling. Or surreal or Twilight Zonish (which I posted several times yesterday, won’t repeat myself).

15. 42 JER
    August 20, 2014 at 10:25 am

Good Morning Chips and TOD.

16. August 20, 2014 at 10:25 am

17. 48 JER
    August 20, 2014 at 10:29 am

18. August 20, 2014 at 10:33 am

Bringing Jackie’s comments over from previous post…i am feeling so what she expressed…i thank you for this comment

jackiegrumbacher
    August 20, 2014 at 9:32 am
    Just a thought that’s been troubling me. The anger, fear, outrage, despair, depression and gut-wrenching grief that we’ve all been experiencing lately can take a big toll on our physical and mental health and I have seen many people here rightly reveal their deep anguish, heartache and tears. In the meantime, we all have personal challenges, exhaustion and worries to deal with even while campaigns around the country are heating up for the fall races. It’s going to be tough going in the weeks and months and ahead, so I think it’s crucial that we all pay special attention to keeping ourselves healthy. If the anger gets too overwhelming, step away or take a walk, or hug someone you love. If you feel it’s all hopeless, reach out to someone and take break. We’re all human and we’re all trying as hard as we can to do right by our families, our country and our beloved president. The beauty of checking in every day is that we all care about each other and lift each other up, no matter where in the world we come from or what we look like. So this is partly a thank you to fellow TODers and partly a wish that we remember to take care of ourselves and find whatever little ways we can to lift our spirits.

• 50 daisydem
      August 20, 2014 at 10:47 am

Thank you Jackie. We need this reminder to do this. I am going to pay heed to what you have suggested. I know for me that from 2008-2011 I was obsessed with the campaign, then the inauguration and then of course with the Republican shenanigans, and all the hate, and I began having problems with my blood pressure and things just got too much. I finally let some of that go, and became less involved on the blogs. I am not nearly as frequent a commenter here as I used to be on several blogs (especially some Alaskan ones … geez I wonder why that was? Snark!) but I do visit here many times daily. I read/listen to no other news sources. Incredible? No … I get all I need to know here at TOD and I feel safe and most of the time I can keep my emotions somewhat in check. Still, I think I need to get out and away more.

19. 51 laraofzhivago
    August 20, 2014 at 10:45 am

Good Morning TODVille!

Happy Birthday TN! (I am late to the party.)

Hope that my AG and his staff will find the right words and strategy to calm the anger, the anxiety and the hurt of the people of Ferguson. That being said, may an arrest warrant for Wilson be issued ASAP.

August 20, 2014 at 10:45 am

My point exactly…

21. 55 JER
    August 20, 2014 at 10:52 am

August 20, 2014 at 10:55 am

I think it’s fair to speculate that many of those vocal black pundits and bloggers (e.g., Dyson, Ta-Neshi Coates) who have been attacking PBO were NOT included in those calls…

• August 20, 2014 at 12:02 pm

Gov Nixon’s comments from the article…

Nixon told the Post-Dispatch that Obama “asked what were the rules of engagement, and what the thought process was” in deploying the National Guard.

“Here’s a fellow who’s had to order bombs dropped on Iraq,” Nixon said.

“… I think he certainly understood my reasoning.”

*********************
      equating Ferguson to Iraq….

does this mean that he wants to drop bombs on Ferguson… :green:

• 58 99ts
        August 20, 2014 at 7:32 pm

So I am hours behind – but Nixon is at war with his own people? Maybe he thinks this will give him the lead in for President!

23. August 20, 2014 at 11:01 am

• 60 57andfemale
      August 20, 2014 at 11:07 am

can someone tell me, or direct to me a link, about this? I don’t know what the story is with Christine Byers.

I cannot follow this stuff 24/7 lately. It’s too overwhelming.

24. 61 JER
    August 20, 2014 at 11:05 am

25. 62 arapaho415
    August 20, 2014 at 11:07 am

Top news in LA this morning.

Something similar happened last week (or the week before).

No, we don’t need handgun control — not.

This is close to where GGail works.

August 20, 2014 at 11:14 am

Finally, the I-voted-proof–ink in my finger is gone, after over 3 months. Either that frigging ink is a harsh chemical or I need to bathe more often.

27. 65 arapaho415
    August 20, 2014 at 11:14 am

To: GOP/MSM pundits:

August 20, 2014 at 11:16 am

Boom.

29. 69 dotster3
    August 20, 2014 at 11:17 am

Grand jury to consider Ferguson case thru mid-Oct. ——so long haul until any resolution/decision in this case. The controversial prosecutor, McCulloch, will not present the evidence—-that task has been assigned to 2 female prosecutors.

• August 20, 2014 at 11:42 am

I believe have seen situations where the jury is tasked to consider multiple levels of charges (manslaughter, second-degree murder, etc.). [I hope my memory is not too far gone, though I would be a major undertaking for me to give a specific case.]

If this is so, when would that situation be applicable? Is this one of those situations or is it a choose a charge and hope for the best?

30. 71 Vicki
    August 20, 2014 at 11:20 am

In FL George Zimmerman got away with murder, in part at least, because he was charged with a crime that was difficult to prove without a reasonable doubt.

This time, in MO, I want to see the prosecution bring the charge they are confident of winning.
    We all see plainly that 6+ shots to an unarmed teen is First degree Murder, but that will be difficult to get a white jury to agree upon.

I’d like to see a lesser charge brought if that will Guarantee Darren Wilson is behind bars for a good lenght of time.

31. 72 arapaho415