Aug

@ryanjreilly

Attorney General Eric Holder in Ferguson today

(Excerpts from his remarks, as provided by the Justice Department)

“We have seen a great deal of progress over the years. But we also see problems and these problems stem from mistrust and mutual suspicion.

I just had the opportunity to sit down with some wonderful young people and to hear them talk about the mistrust they have at a young age.

These are young people and already they are concerned about potential interactions they might have with the police.

I understand that mistrust.

I am the Attorney General of the United States, but I am also a black man. …I think about my time in Georgetown — a nice neighborhood of Washington — and I am running to a picture at about 8 o’clock at night. I am running with my cousin.

Police car comes driving up, flashes his lights, yells, ‘Where you going? Hold it!’ I say, ‘Whoa, I’m going to a movie.’

Now my cousin started mouthing off; I’m like, ‘This is not where we want to go. Keep quiet.’

I’m angry and upset.

We negotiate the whole thing and we walk to our movie.

At the time that he stopped me, I was a federal prosecutor. I wasn’t a kid. I was a federal prosecutor.

I worked at the United States Department of Justice.

So I’ve confronted this myself.

We are starting here a good dialogue. But the reality is the dialogue is not enough. We need concrete action to change things in this country. That’s what I have been trying to do. That’s what the President has been trying to do.

We have a very active Civil Rights Division. I am proud of what these men and women have done. As they write about the legacy of the Obama administration, a lot of it is going to be about what the Civil Rights Division has done.

So this interaction must occur. This dialogue is important. But it can’t simply be that we have a conversation that begins based on what happens on August 9, and ends sometime in December, and nothing happens.

As I was just telling these young people, change is possible. The same kid who got stopped on the New Jersey freeway is now the Attorney general of the United States.

This country is capable of change.

But change doesn’t happen by itself.”

120 Responses to “‘The Same Kid Who Got Stopped On The Freeway Is Now the AG Of The United States’”

1. 1 Judith Fardig
    August 20, 2014 at 7:42 pm

Eric Holder!!!

2. 7 Judith Fardig
    August 20, 2014 at 7:42 pm

is on the case. We can rest a bit easier.

3. August 20, 2014 at 7:45 pm

You know, until now, I regarded Ezra Klein just like an (irrateting) gadfly).

Until tthis:

I mean, he was born in the year 1984, which was a *book title* we had to read when in high school.

August 20, 2014 at 9:26 pm

Wouldn’t one of the “most chilling images to come out of Ferguson” be the one of Michael Brown, dead in the middle of the street for four hours?

August 20, 2014 at 7:47 pm

I love these men. Love them,and thank goodness every single day for their hard work, and unending dedication to justice and fairness for all.

August 20, 2014 at 7:48 pm

6. 15 Vicki
    August 20, 2014 at 7:49 pm

Chip, so glad you front paged this story.
    And once again, to you and Nerdy, you are the best at what you are doing at TOD. Your work is invaluable to me personally traveling through the turbulent waters of our time. I can never thank you two sufficiently.
    I also think TOD is a definitive and loving look at the actual day to day time when the 44th President’s name is Barack Obama. If the future citizens want to know what these times were like they will need to look no further than these pages.

7. 25 MightyPamela
    August 20, 2014 at 7:50 pm

I could sure use one of those AG Holder hugs right about now. I am a bookkeeping disaster today. God Bless me. Please tell me it’s is wine:30 now?? :}

August 20, 2014 at 7:52 pm

The warning for a new post is NOT showing on the bottom right….again! Grrrrr!

9. August 20, 2014 at 7:55 pm

August 20, 2014 at 7:59 pm

Man..I hope she uses his own words against him, played over and over again on what a Turtle win would mean for the people of KY….they really need to get past thinking that ANY REPUBLICAN gives a damn about them, their families, or their well being. Make him OWN HIS WORDS.

• August 20, 2014 at 8:25 pm

Agree, df. The DSCC has been hammering Mitch all day, doing exactly what you urge – making him ‘own his words.’

August 20, 2014 at 8:40 pm

I hope he doesn’t know what hit him. The people of KY deserve a senator that has their interests in mind when they’re in Washington. Turtle, and those like him, are precisely why people think that congress sucks. It does because people like him forgot long ago who put them there and who they work for. Get rid of these self serving takers that do nothing for anyone but themselves!

• 49 MightyPamela
        August 20, 2014 at 8:55 pm

or any progress which would indicate the well being of the US and/or world economies.

10. August 20, 2014 at 8:04 pm

This is definitely worth a read:

11. August 20, 2014 at 8:11 pm

Look at these cuties!

12. August 20, 2014 at 8:19 pm

The more I hear about Gov. Nixon, the more I feel besides him being spineless, that he is a DINO. As long as he could operate in the shadows, he didn’t feel the need to be accountable except to the good ole boys club of MO. Now that his feet are being held to the fire, his true color — YELLOW — is coming to light.

• August 20, 2014 at 8:23 pm

Amen to that, sistah. Coward and then some.

• 55 Linda
      August 20, 2014 at 8:24 pm

If it seems like the African-American community in Ferguson, Missouri is not crazy about Governor Jay Nixon (D-MO), a move he made as attorney general back in the early 1990s could be part of the problem.

As the Washington Post’s Philip Bump reported this week, one year after becoming Missouri’s attorney general in 1992 Nixon filed a motion to end St. Louis’ school desegregation program, claiming it was not cost effective.

Other than Emmanuel Cleaver…I cannot think of any Missouri Dem I respect….including Claire McCaskill

• 56 COS
      August 20, 2014 at 8:43 pm

Is this Nixon’s first term or second term? I think it will be his last term. Ferguson is a prime example that voting or not voting yields consequences, good or bad. This incident should drive people to the polls en masse.

13. August 20, 2014 at 8:28 pm

Interesting ….

14. August 20, 2014 at 8:30 pm

Yes, important to keep this issue front and center ….

15. August 20, 2014 at 8:32 pm

This is a big deal ….

…. and Putin only has himself to blame.

August 20, 2014 at 8:35 pm

TO or OT for the likes of DanntO & his mistress

17. August 20, 2014 at 8:46 pm

The St Louis police killed a man yesterday and a cell phone video is out.

‏@ryangrim 1h

St. Louis police release video of the recent killing of Kajieme Powell. It does not match their story. No words:

You can you tube it, I won’t put the link up. You can see it at HuffPo

• August 20, 2014 at 8:48 pm

Thank you for not posting the link, lamh, to the video.

Another Travesty.

• August 20, 2014 at 8:50 pm

Oh no, I’d never do that Bobfr.

I don’t know how people can watch stuff like that anyway. I just refuse to do so. So whenever I post videos, I never post anything I wouldn’t want on my own FB page.

That’s also why I didn’t post the link to the tweet, cause the video was attached.

• August 20, 2014 at 8:58 pm

Understood and appreciated, lamh!

The video documents a cold-blooded execution, in front of plenty of witnesses and it also documents the police immediately trying to suppress lots of folk who have their phones out and recording their behavior.

AG Holder now has two cases of white militia (aka police) executing black males and this one has a complete video record of the execution.

• August 20, 2014 at 9:04 pm

BTW, everyone, the comments to Ryan Grim’s tweet are justifiably expressions of shock and outrage at the contents of the video. Please be warned that if you watch it you will see a person executed.

• August 20, 2014 at 9:30 pm

This is just one example of why the DOJ Civil Rights division is reportedly thinking of expanding it’s case to include Ferguson PD overall, not just in Mike Brown case

18. 69 Nena20409
    August 20, 2014 at 8:49 pm

A Gem of a Thread, Chips.

Thanks.

19. 70 Nena20409
    August 20, 2014 at 8:56 pm

So POTUS ordered a rescue attempt for Our people and Brits held by ISIS/ISOL early this Summer. The Defense Dept were forced to come out and report this now for some media outlet got wind of this. Wow.

Thanks Pres Obama. Thanks to our Special Forces. I am so very Proud of this president. The Doer, never the bragger nor the talker. Just getting it Done kind of a POTUS.

Here’s to you president Obama -I -I -I

20. 71 99ts
    August 20, 2014 at 8:59 pm

GM from my time everyone – the most positive spin I can find for the FPD – this must be costing millions – for a town that is not wealthy – with some luck the town council and the police department will declare bankruptcy – hopefully the police will be on “unpaid leave”

21. 72 Nena20409
    August 20, 2014 at 8:59 pm

Greta V-S and Fox are idiotically complaining about POTUS’ attire today? Wow…..Hateful bigots.

GW Bush and others with I suppose the correct pigmentation…..No problem?

Hmm?

August 20, 2014 at 9:01 pm

TI :grin:

23. August 20, 2014 at 9:03 pm

Beyond belief. Warning, the video at the link is horrific

• August 20, 2014 at 9:27 pm

I didn’t watch the video but heard the account given by the SLPD.

Stand Your Ground. Suicide by Cop. Black man is killed. It’s his fault.

24. 77 MightyPamela
    August 20, 2014 at 9:07 pm

http://www.prks.org/16cD53X Wishing the National Park Service a very Happy 98th Birthday on Monday 8/25. And A Very Happy Birthday to tnmtngrl!! :)

• August 20, 2014 at 9:23 pm

Aaaw, thank you, MP. Since hubby is on the AT, my TOD family and over 70 Facebook friends have kept me company and made it a good day. Was able to talk to the hiker this morning and again earlier tonight. May not hear from him for next 3 days though. If lucky, a text might be possible. He has 235 miles to go.

• 79 MightyPamela
        August 20, 2014 at 9:36 pm

I do so envy him. I think he has exactly the right approach to his life, despite it may mean missing some important occasions ~ such as YOUR b’day! Good you are generous and loving, and enjoying your special day!

• August 20, 2014 at 9:59 pm

Many people envy him, MP. Not me, not my thing but I support him. Hiking pretty much saved him after we lost our grandson. Was his therapy. The many folks he has met, listened to, encouraged, etc. well, we say that Walker and his life continue to affect people and make a difference.

August 20, 2014 at 9:09 pm

I’ve spent about two minutes looking at the picture at the top – I look, grin, start to make my way down the thread, go back for another look, grin, head on down again… then turn back for another look, grin again…… and so on. :grin: TOD is definitely contributing to my mental deterioration.

26. 89 globalcitizenlinda
    August 20, 2014 at 9:09 pm

27. 90 smoothscotch
    August 20, 2014 at 9:22 pm

The head of the murderer of that journalist will be delivered next. PBO’s tone/facial expression says “somebody’s gonna pay”. In addition, some of what he said about, broadly, the middle east is not safe from them either, so they betta step up as we’re all in this shit. Apparently, there was a Canadian who joined this group as well as he was killed, was on our news last week. Decisions/actions have consequences from say Bush’s era, this president keeps on having to clean up shit for which he had nothing to do with, Now, these people want a war, but I think that there might be more of joint effort from a lot of nations to contain these terrorists. My take.

I need a glass of wine like those above.

28. 92 Nena20409
    August 20, 2014 at 9:28 pm

Dr Maddow……you may scream until the Elephants come Home…..Congress today are just not Congress of yesteryears. They will gladly wash their hands off. Pres Obama knows that. Case in point 2013, POTUS asked Congress to authorize strikes in Syria and Congress Ran. POTUS is going to be at the UN and he will be giving or conducting a Tutorial-like symposium. I am sure that UN ready or nut will be advised on US and her coalition to take care of ISIS/ISIL.

Pres Obama is Not going to have ground troops. He will work it out with those in the region to get rid of ISIS/ISIL. Saudi Arabia has a change of tune and Iran don’t care for the ISIS/ISIL. By Dec, tops early 2015…..ISIS/ISIL will have been contained. No doubt about that. Pres Obama doesn’t Bluff. Cantor found that out,

29. August 20, 2014 at 9:29 pm

• August 20, 2014 at 9:59 pm

I can’t have access to the video linked in Antonio French’s tweet, so I’m putting the link of a diary at the Daily Kos ( I know, sorry). Very graphic but it’s necessary for people to watch it, giving the circumstances:

And I think it’s equally important to watch the statement by the police spokesperson about the incident. Listen carefully ; the spokesperson describes the threat as worse than it was in reality…

Houston, we have a problem…

It’s like the police don’t know any strategy for diffusing tense situations, besides shooting at people. The two policemen could have stepped back, waited for back-up, or at worst shot once to injure the guy. But I count nine shots. NINE !!!

There needs to be a serious conversation in America about how police are trained, what are the rules for responding to immediate threats, what constitutes an immediate threat, etc.

Is the problem unique to policing in black communities ? Or is it a systemic problem in America, albeit worse in black communities ? What can be done about this ?

In the mean time, people should immediately get to their cell phones when they see police officers arriving .

• 102 Nena20409
        August 21, 2014 at 1:34 pm

They do know. When they come across their own kind….the 1st instinct is almost Never shoot to kill. The shoot to kill is mostly reserved for those scary Black and Brown persons.

30. August 20, 2014 at 9:29 pm

31. August 20, 2014 at 9:31 pm

Hey Chips,

Does anyone have the video that Maddow just showed on her show where AG Holder met Capt Ron Johnson in the restaurant?

I’d like to post it on my FB page

32. 109 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    August 20, 2014 at 9:32 pm

Y’all left me, but I found you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

33. 110 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    August 20, 2014 at 9:33 pm

So, some folks showed up to try and incite the protest.

• 111 Nena20409
      August 21, 2014 at 1:36 pm

Jay Nikon? Hmm? Nikon is a camera……certainly, shinning a light on MO…..perhaps, the Show Me State mantra might just fulfill it’s Motto.

34. 112 carolyn
    August 20, 2014 at 9:34 pm

Want to express my thanks to the ones I call The Three Wise Men: PBO, AG Holder, and SOS Kerry. Very grateful to these men…..solid adults in the room. I think I will add SODef Hagel to that group. So good to know that actual adults are in charge!!!

35. August 20, 2014 at 9:36 pm

36. 115 Nena20409
    August 20, 2014 at 9:37 pm

A Republican city councilman in Missouri apologized this week for posting racist messages about President Obama on Facebook, citing his own strong engagement with the Republican Party as the reason behind his actions.

According to television station KFVS, Poplar Bluff, Mo., councilman Peter Tinsley’s offensive posts were brought up during a city council meeting on Monday night. Tinsley apologized for his behavior, saying he didn’t intend to offend anyone when he made those posts last year, reported KFVS.

“I apologize from the bottom of my heart,” Tinsley said. “At one time, I was a very active republican, very opposed to Obama.”

/////

This was done last year and he was called out just this MONDAY.
    Imagine how he treats other people of color.

• 116 smoothscotch
      August 21, 2014 at 1:59 am

Wow, “an active republican, very opposed to Obama,” justifies this man’s posting racist’s messages? These people are really becoming NAKED before the world.

37. August 20, 2014 at 9:37 pm

I would love that house. :)

38. 119 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    August 20, 2014 at 9:42 pm