Aug

Access To Birth Control? ObamaCare Guarantees That

Irin Carmon: White House Issues New Fix For Contraceptive Coverage

The Obama administration has issued a new set of rules to provide contraceptive access to women whose employers object to their insurance plans covering birth control, which is required under the Affordable Care Act. The new policies are intended to fill gaps left by two Supreme Court moves: The landmark Hobby Lobby decision saying contraceptive coverage violated the religious liberty of a for-profit corporation, and a preliminary order in Wheaton College v. Burwell. With today’s regulations, employees of for-profit corporations like Hobby Lobby will be able to access an “accommodation” where the insurer directly provides the cost-free coverage with no financial involvement by the employer. That accommodation was originally limited to religiously-affiliated nonprofits like Little Sisters of the Poor; houses of worship are fully exempt.

For nonprofits like Wheaton College that object to even that accommodation – which involves them signing a form to their insurer – the Obama administration has created a new accommodation to the accommodation. “The rules, which are in response to recent court decisions, balance our commitment to helping ensure women have continued access to coverage for preventive services important to their health, with the Administration’s goal of respecting religious beliefs,” Health and Human Services Secretary Sylvia Burwell said. For the non-profits that object to the form – arguing that signing it triggers the very birth control coverage they oppose – the new rule allows those employers to write to HHS directly, instead of filling out the form. The Supreme Court first suggested the letter-writing option, and so far the litigants have accepted it. But there was some dispute among legal scholars before about whether the letter would result in actual coverage for the women who worked at those companies. The new rule clarifies that it does.

More here

Barack 2

132 Responses to “Access To Birth Control? ObamaCare Guarantees That”

1. August 22, 2014 at 5:20 pm

Great thread NW, as usual!

2. 7 Linda
    August 22, 2014 at 5:24 pm

Turn on CNN right now.

3. August 22, 2014 at 5:31 pm

• 27 Nena20409
      August 22, 2014 at 5:37 pm

;) C’mon now Jovie…..didn’t you read and see the picture of that foolish vagabond, James O’Keffee, dressed like OSL and somehow…..managed to “get through” the US Border Custom Inspectors :?: It was all over the rightie world bubble…..2 weeks ago or so.

Many GOPers today are scar-mongers. They are not acting honorably nor are they truthful. They are modern Rev Fr. Charles Coughlin in Congress masquerading as legislatures.

4. August 22, 2014 at 5:31 pm

I am continually in astonishment that people simply refuse to accept that human overpopulation is a dire and significant problem in the 21st century, and going forward. No one wants to touch it, and IMO, it is one of the most crucial issues we face. I also believe men must step up and assume equal responsibility for birth control.

5. 29 Nena20409
    August 22, 2014 at 5:31 pm

Great Post NW. Thank You.
    J4O a Au :star: is yours ;)

6. 31 Linda
    August 22, 2014 at 5:34 pm

CNN is going to continue the segment about the StL County policeman that shoved Don Lemon after the break.

The police chief actually went to talk to Lemon after he sent them the video of the officer ranting at the Oathkeeper meeting.

• 32 Nena20409
      August 22, 2014 at 5:44 pm

He is Busted.

My goodness. This man is carrying a loaded gun, pretending to serve All in his community? Holy Smokes!

7. 33 MadameSoph
    August 22, 2014 at 5:39 pm

I know I’m preaching to the choir here at TOD, but I thought I’d share this letter I emailed to friends and family today.

~~~
    What if Robert F. Kennedy Had Served 8 Years?

I have a thought experiment for Baby Boomers. As a Gen Xer, I hear my Boomer friends talk passionately and longingly about RFK, what a symbol of hope he was for their generation and what a force for change he could have been, if only he had not been assassinated.

O.K., lets explore that:

What if RFK had lived and won the Presidency in 1968? What if he had been re-elected in ’72?

What if RFK had been able to radically reform health care, usher in LGBT equality, reform the financial system, end the Vietnam war and was working hard to raise the minimum wage, reform immigration and the prison/justice system, reduce military spending, reduce/prevent pollution and climate change, equalize pay and opportunities for women and black/brown folks, improve education, etc?

He would have been doing all this with Nixon, Goldwater and Reagan’s supporters constantly on TV, in the media and behind the scenes, working to undermine, criticize, smear and instigate fear of and anger against him and his policies.

Imagine he had a Republican-controlled House of Representatives determined to dismantle the still newly enacted Civil Rights Act and the Voting Rights Act and railing against the Roe vs. Wade Decision. Phyllis Schlafly, George Wallace, Jesse Helms and others would have been calling him a traitor, incompetent, and a communist. William F. Buckley and other conservative talking heads of the time would have been appearing on talk shows and writing articles attempting to belittle him, calling him young, naive and in-over-his-head.

The hawks of the time would have labeled an emphasis on diplomacy “dangerous”. At the same time, the far left activists would have labeled him a “warmonger” for not completely disbanding the military, writing him off as “Part of the Establishment” and calling anything short of revolution a failure. His supporters would have been called “Ro-bots” by the extremes of both right and left.

Now imagine that he had looked like Martin Luther King Jr.

• August 22, 2014 at 6:21 pm

Good job, Madame. You go, girl. :)

• 35 MadameSoph
        August 22, 2014 at 6:27 pm

Thanks, tnmtngirl! I get fired up sometimes ’cause this man has accomplished and continues to accomplish so much for this country in spite of the unprecedented BS thrown at him.

• August 22, 2014 at 6:36 pm

I know, Breaks my heart over and over and over. I SMH a lot.

• 37 MadameSoph
            August 22, 2014 at 6:51 pm

That is what is so amazing, that he remains so strong and effective in spite of all the BS. That, to me, is part of his greatness, and the First Lady’s as well. I want to be a fly on the wall when he and FLOTUS are alone at the end of the day and can be real. You know they are just shaking their heads and saying to each other, “Can you believe these blankety-blank-blanks?” :-)

August 22, 2014 at 8:03 pm

‘I want to be a fly on the wall when he and FLOTUS’

This reminds me of two things, MmeS – i) LisaLovesObama, a TODobot for whom this was a dear wish … and ii) the history of the real fly that buzzed too close to PBO one fateful day. Remember him/her? :grin:

• 42 globalcitizenlinda
      August 22, 2014 at 8:10 pm

great contribution – right to the point of how clueless some on the left seem to be about PBO, his accomplishments and the political climate within which he is operating and achieving so much on behalf of us ordinary people;

I don’t know if you can add this to a tweet and put it anywhere in new thread/blogpost here; I would love to share it

August 22, 2014 at 5:42 pm

Oh…this is a nice place for Ezra and Annie Lowry to go on a vacation/date…with Chris Cizzilla as their third wheel…

Meanwhile, leave our President alone.

9. 45 kasai
    August 22, 2014 at 5:54 pm

I love the guy…and I have no doubt about this>>>..
    Political Scientist: Alderman Antonio French is ‘Strong Advocate’ for People of Ferguson

10. 50 Nena20409
    August 22, 2014 at 5:55 pm

11. 51 Nena20409
    August 22, 2014 at 5:58 pm

• 52 Vicki
      August 22, 2014 at 6:16 pm

SUCCESS. “Obamacare is the most significant achievement in the last 50 years.” One time, for sure, Bill Maher had it right. (I often think he is on target but I know many at TOD don’t care for him.)

I also loved a Billy Joel concert I went to at Madison Square Garden a few decades ago, but that is a whole other dispute. nevermind

August 22, 2014 at 6:51 pm

Obamacare is on a roll here. No wonder Ezra Klein is hazing a sad! :) No one is talking about website glitch right now.

• 54 99ts
      August 22, 2014 at 6:32 pm

Their share price has gone up 11% YTD (I’m not sure when your financial year starts – ours is July 1) – so much for Obamacare being bad for the health industry – they should be funding democrats – not GOPers

12. 55 Nena20409
    August 22, 2014 at 6:00 pm

13. 56 Nena20409
    August 22, 2014 at 6:07 pm

Linda, Look……It is getting more coverage at Mediaite…..That means, Huffpost and TPM would follow soon after :)

14. 59 Linda
    August 22, 2014 at 6:20 pm

Rich Lowry, editor of the National Review and Fox contributor, said during an immigration panel discussion on Thursday that Republicans who say Americans won’t do certain jobs, should be “shot” and “hanged.”

His statement on how to handle such Republicans was met with applause and laughter.

“The next time I hear a Republican strategist or a Republican politician say that there are jobs that Americans won’t do, that person should be shot, he should be hanged, he should be wrapped in a carpet and thrown in the Potomac River,” Lowry said. “You know that’s what they did to Rasputin, I think it was a different river. But let me tell you, it worked.”

Says the guy who saw stars shooting out of his tv when the Alaska half Governor spoke .

15. 60 kasai
    August 22, 2014 at 6:28 pm

16. August 22, 2014 at 6:29 pm

17. 64 Nena20409
    August 22, 2014 at 6:34 pm

18. 66 Nena20409
    August 22, 2014 at 6:37 pm

Hmm? How Large of an ego have these Vagabonds?

POTUS Golfs because he wants to Golf.

Those who hate it or complain and spout malarkey are envious and truly childish.

Keep Golfing POTUS. You have earned it.

• 67 Linda
      August 22, 2014 at 7:18 pm

Every cable network is yapping about the ” optics “…..

Up next on Hardball .. He just does not care about the ” optics ”

They justify it by saying ” His critics are complaining ” so the have a reason to yap about it.

Abby Huntsman said he just does not care about being President anymore…..she got some push back from Jonathon Allen who said “No, he doesn’t care about the criticism “

• 71 kasai
      August 22, 2014 at 7:20 pm

There you go Bob…patron that put that sign..has been banned for life..it seems:-)

• August 22, 2014 at 7:53 pm

BTW, everyone, my tweet was to convey a very specific message – a statement of racial hatred is conveyed by the sign irrespective of who posted it. America is as far from being post-racial as Putin is from becoming an empathetic supporter of gay rights.

• August 22, 2014 at 8:41 pm

You know, I’m just trying to imagine a bar where a customer can take the big chalkboard sign, and the chalk, and take the time to make big clear letters, and put it out front, and nobody noticed him doing it, and nobody noticed the sign, either customer or workers, until it became a Thing on twitter. The owner of the bar may not be present at the bar at all times; he may have managers who handle things. So the owner with whom Goldie Taylor spoke (and I love trust and respect her deeply) may not actually have had the full story. If it were an employee, firing would be a good thing. If it is a customer, banning for life is a good thing. I am glad that it became a big deal and I RT’d the name of the place, earlier, once online sources I trust put it out there. Because if it was up long enough for one person to get a photo and share it, it was not one single renegade person. I think the bar ought to do something big to express deep regret for not catching it because it is horrifying and disgusting and beyond the pale of any excuses. If they were to raise funds for a local library or soup kitchen or something, going on record with their patrons and community as a place where this is not acceptable and better not happen again, I would support them in that action. The outrage and pressure gives me hope and comfort. Stuff will happen; the community response we give is key.

• August 22, 2014 at 9:40 pm

“Because if it was up long enough for one person to get a photo and share it, it was not one single renegade person.”

Agree, Nancie.

“The outrage and pressure gives me hope and comfort. Stuff will happen; the community response we give is key.”

Yes. We must witness and respond, every time. That is the only way we can stanch displays of hatred and other forms of abuse.

August 22, 2014 at 8:20 pm

D-I-S-G-U-S-T-I-N-G..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• August 22, 2014 at 7:30 pm

Thank you for this dotster….

Our community’s challenge is to keep the focus where it should be, on recognizing that the protests in Ferguson can be a turning point for a city with a regrettable history of marginalizing its black citizens.

The sad but undeniable truth is that St. Louis has long devalued African-American lives. For some, it’s difficult to admit. For others, it’s hard to see. We don’t do empathy very well.

It’s easier to focus on distracting details of a shooting, or political battles between a governor and a prosecutor, and safe in our suburban enclaves, turn the page on Ferguson and pretend it was all a hazy hallucination.

This was not and is not a dream….

19. 82 globalcitizenlinda
    August 22, 2014 at 7:07 pm

after the back-to-back horrific incidents that have taken place in the world,I am trying to look for anything to help the mending of my heart, spirit and mind;

but I guess that there are people in this world who are determined to wound others and extract as much pain from so many as possible;

an example of that is a story that just flushed across my twitter timeline from BuzzFeed;

just looked at the words: No, A Missouri Bar Didn’t Advertise “A Mike Brown Special” ;

because the picture accompanying these words was a placard outside the store that has ” Mike Brown Special, 6 Shots of Something”,
    I could not click on it ;

I assumed the worst and I don’t know how much more this kind of hate I can take!!!

come on people, show some humanity and don’t do so much damage to others just because they are different from you

20. August 22, 2014 at 7:17 pm

My, those Ferguson cops are so professional

“Yeah, we’re walking right in to their homes and shooting them.”

21. August 22, 2014 at 7:24 pm

Must-See: Orlando Jones’ ‘Ice Bucket Challenge’ …. but it’s about #Ferguson

August 22, 2014 at 7:26 pm

NC’s Moral Monday’s should be a template for everyone that needs to see progress made and have their voices heard on the state level…

And here:

Anyone in NC should consider joining Rev. Barber and all the fine folks that march on Moral Monday!

23. 94 globalcitizenlinda
    August 22, 2014 at 7:27 pm

24. August 22, 2014 at 7:27 pm

25. 96 dotster3
    August 22, 2014 at 7:40 pm

Another suburban St. Louis policeman suspended after his facebook comments came to light, like “the protesters should have been put down like rabid dogs on the first night” and they’re a “blight on the community” etc. So some good and good riddance is coming out of this, weeding out some of the most hate-filled among them….

• August 22, 2014 at 7:48 pm

You cannot be a true christian and treat people this way. I say good riddance to these sicko cops.

• 104 0388jojothecat
      August 22, 2014 at 7:59 pm

If nothing else these young people need to vote and become candidates so that they can truly be in control of their communities, set policies that are fair to everyone, and fire these crocked cops. I am hearing on the radio that many in the police department are supporting the FPD and the killer cop.

August 22, 2014 at 8:23 pm

I think I heard today that in the Greater Ferguson area, voter turnout is very high (75%?) for presidential elections, but not high for municipal and local elections “held in April.” Felt better when I heard that, since it’s being bandied about that only 12% of the residents vote, with no caveat, as though it were each and every election.

• 106 Nena20409
      August 22, 2014 at 8:59 pm

It now the 3rd one….plus Wilson in hiding.
      Their behavior were able to spread for the environment allowed, tolerated and was in some shape or form, Complicit.

26. August 22, 2014 at 7:57 pm

Hamas again?

• August 22, 2014 at 8:00 pm

I thought that Israel had admitted that it was NOT Hamas responsible for the kidnapping of the teens
      ….which is it??

• August 22, 2014 at 8:30 pm

At this point though, I feel the question of “who started this?” Has ceased to have relevance for the conflict. Both sides have claimed that their actions are a response to the grievances of the other, going back decades. Meanwhile, of course, it’s the children who suffer.

Right now, of course, that’s the Palestinians. But down the road, as Israel’s right wing gains power, it will begin to lose the trust of its international allies. What I am worried about is what happens when the US stops its line. As destructive as Israel’s current actions are, they are much more restrained than some in the country’s body politic would have. If Israel replaces the US with Russia or China, countries that funded the Rwandan genocide, it gives me chills thinking about what might happen.

• August 22, 2014 at 8:30 pm

27. August 22, 2014 at 8:04 pm

Putin may just be mad enough to start WWIII. Increasingly, I think he is.

28. August 22, 2014 at 8:07 pm

A very gutsy guy; and a Maidan hero ….

29. August 22, 2014 at 8:12 pm

30. August 22, 2014 at 8:16 pm

A broad coalition of faith, labor, and social justice organizations will hold events in 12 mostly Southern states—Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Mississippi, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, and Wisconsin—with a different social justice theme every day. Friday kicked off with discussions of labor rights, fair and living wages, and economic justice. The weekend will feature actions on education and criminal justice, then equal protection under the law. A “Youth Moral Monday” will start the work week, then women’s rights will take the stage on Women’s Equality Day (August 26), followed by health care and environmental justice actions, and finally voting rights.

• August 22, 2014 at 8:22 pm

This is what OFA is doing here in Philadelphia to dovetail with Moral Mondays Week of Action…

For many people, a full-time job means having the peace of mind to know you can take care of your family.

But right now, for millions of Americans, even working full time isn’t enough to get by. Women are now the primary breadwinner in a record 40 percent of households with children — but economic security remains out of reach for way too many. You can chalk that up to poor access to child care, lack of paid leave, unequal pay, and a host of other issues that not enough lawmakers in Washington are concerned with.

That’s why OFA volunteers are hosting a national Day of Action on Tuesday to take a deeper look at this issue through the lens of one woman’s experience.

Folks are getting together in Philadelphia for a special screening of a powerful documentary about a single mother trying to get by on the minimum wage.

It’s free to attend — can you make it?

Here are the details:

What: Paycheck to Paycheck screening in Philadelphia

Where: 1144 Locust St.
      Philadelphia, PA 19107

When: Tuesday, August 26th
      6:00 pm

• 127 COS
      August 22, 2014 at 8:23 pm

Wonderful!!!

• August 22, 2014 at 8:27 pm

31. 130 kasai
    August 22, 2014 at 8:33 pm

Guess who Mellissa has on her show tomorrow …whole lot of PBO bashing..

32. 131 Dakota
    August 22, 2014 at 8:41 pm

LINDA!!! You are a ROCKSTAR!!! Excellent Job!!!

33. August 28, 2014 at 10:02 pm

Thank you for this wonderful post on Birth Control.
    Isn’t our President WONDERFUL?!!?
    Love him…