Aug

Democrat + Forward Thinking Policies = Growing Economy

bwagfdbciaaeyl1

Yahoo: Economy In U.S. Expands 4.2%, More Than Previously Forecast

The biggest gain in U.S. business investment in over two years helped the world’s largest economy expand more than previously forecast in the second quarter, raising expectations for the rest of 2014. Gross domestic product, the value of all goods and services produced, rose at a 4.2 percent annualized rate, up from an initial estimate of 4 percent and following a first-quarter contraction, Commerce Department reported today in Washington. Other reports showed the outlook for home sales improved in July, fewer people filed claims (INJCJC) for jobless benefits last week and consumer confidence climbed. Recent data showing American factories are receiving more orders and employment is picking up indicate companies such as General Electric Co. (GE) will probably see demand sustained into the second half of the year. “The recovery is becoming more well-entrenched,” said Scott Brown, chief economist at Raymond James & Associates Inc. in St. Petersburg, Florida, who correctly projected the gain in GDP.

“There is more optimism among businesses about increased demand. The drop in firings is probably helping Americans feel more secure in their jobs. The Bloomberg Consumer Comfort Index rose in the week ended Aug. 24 to the highest level in more than a month as views of household finances advanced to an almost four-month high, another report showed. Household consumption, which accounts for about 70 percent of the economy, grew at a 2.5 percent annualized rate, the same as previously estimated. Automobile sales near an eight-year high bode well for consumer spending and factory production. Consumers’ purchasing power improved, with disposable income adjusted for inflation rising at a 4.2 percent from April through June after a 3.4 percent gain in the first quarter. Gross domestic income, which reflects all the money earned by consumers, businesses and government agencies climbed at a 4.7 percent annualized rate in the second quarter, the most since early 2012. More hiring and stock-market gains that are boosting confidence also are healing household finances, which will help consumer spending. Payrolls in July marked the sixth month of gains exceeding 200,000, the longest such stretch since 1997, according to the Labor Department.

More here

08282014_fig1

Jason Furman: Second Estimate Of GDP For The Second Quarter Of 2014

1. Real gross domestic product (GDP) increased 4.2 percent at an annual rate in the second quarter of 2014, according to the second estimate from the Bureau of Economic Analysis. The strong second-quarter growth represents a rebound from a first-quarter decline in GDP that largely reflected transitory factors like unusually severe winter weather and a sharp slowdown in inventory investment. Growth in consumer spending and business investment picked up in the second quarter, and residential investment increased following two straight quarters of decline. Additionally, state and local government spending grew at the fastest quarterly rate in five years.

3. Over the last four quarters, real GDP has risen 2.5 percent, faster than the 2.0 percent annualized pace observed over the preceding eight-quarter period. Looking at four- and eight-quarter changes to smooth some of the quarter-to-quarter volatility, it is clear that many components of GDP are showing improvement. The growth rates of consumer spending, business investment and exports have all picked up, and the pace of declines in the Federal sector have moderated a bit. In addition, the State and local government sector has turned positive, after several years of steady cutbacks. One area that has slowed over the last four quarters is residential investment, which is discussed in greater detail in the next point.

More here

176 Responses to “Democrat + Forward Thinking Policies = Growing Economy”

1. 1 Jeff
    August 28, 2014 at 5:29 pm

The republicans are going to lose

2. 4 Roberta in MN
    August 28, 2014 at 5:30 pm

Sorry Chip & Nerdy wrong name

3. 5 Nena20409
    August 28, 2014 at 5:32 pm

2nd Au :star: for Jeff. :)

Congrats.

4. 6 Nena20409
    August 28, 2014 at 5:33 pm

Nerdy Wonka…..keep delivering the Truth, the righties and the National Press just simply can’t handle The Truth.
    I salute you, Ms. NW >-I >-I >-I Thanks, Lady!

5. 10 Allison
    August 28, 2014 at 5:34 pm

These pics bring a huge smile to my face. Thanks, NW!

August 28, 2014 at 5:34 pm

Congrats Jeff on #1!

Thanks NW for front-paging this wonderful economic news. Never mind the propaganda polls that are being floated out there in an attempt to discourage people about the economy.

August 28, 2014 at 5:37 pm

Exactly.

• 15 Vicki
      August 28, 2014 at 5:42 pm

I like the suit. Very becoming. But I’m not so sure that particular tie works with the suit. Wonder what more informed menswear apparel experts think about the cream suit/gray tie combo. (Total snark)

Or to put it another way….who cares about this minutia?? Anything to avoid real news or honest information sharing.

• 26 99ts
      August 28, 2014 at 6:35 pm

What a news item to wake up to – US media is seriously insane

• 27 Nena20409
      August 28, 2014 at 6:35 pm

Large sums of $$$$$$ law suits have a way of correcting despicable behaviors…..when those complicit have to pay…..WTG!

• 29 sabreen60
      August 28, 2014 at 9:54 pm

I got home this evening and had missed all the hoopla over the suit. I saw the suit and PBO was FINE. Sway was on full display! Oh, Hello TODers and congrats Jeff :D

8. 30 Linda
    August 28, 2014 at 5:37 pm

Is that Nancy Pelosi’s husband on his phone while PBO is being sworn in ?

August 28, 2014 at 5:40 pm

• 32 Vicki
      August 28, 2014 at 5:46 pm

This article is very encouraging in that Every possible way to hold malefactors accountable should be implemented.
      it will take an all-out effort and then some to change discriminatory behavior.

No fan in general of lawsuits but this one is righteous.

• 35 0388jojothecat
      August 28, 2014 at 5:49 pm

I can’t wait until MB’s parents and other plaintiffs lawsuits roll in that will bankrupt the city unless they disband the FPD.

• 36 nospin
      August 28, 2014 at 7:43 pm

I hope that is just the beginning. They should make Missouri go bankrupt and use the dollars to build up the Ferguson community by local investments etc.

10. 37 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    August 28, 2014 at 5:56 pm

BREAKING:
    CMS approves Pennsylvania Obamacare Medicaid Expansion after deleting worst parts of Corbett’s proposal! Corbett–down 25%–accepts!

August 28, 2014 at 5:58 pm

And here is your media, folks…

• 39 arapaho415
      August 28, 2014 at 6:31 pm

I have to admit that I appreciate the sense of humor that Twitter allows users to express.

From the WaPo article in @sherifffruitfly’s tweet:

And someone created @BarackTanSuit, but the Twitter account was suspended.

August 28, 2014 at 6:03 pm

• 48 arapaho415
      August 28, 2014 at 6:33 pm

I didn’t see President Obama’s statement, and arrived when the press conference was in progress.

Does anyone know what Erickson is referring too?

August 28, 2014 at 8:39 pm

Back there in the days I used to hear how you would be surprise about who was member of the KKK, so you might be surprise who supports the KKK, or you might not Erick Erickson.

13. 50 Judith Fardig
    August 28, 2014 at 6:05 pm

Thanks for the beautiful positive post, NW! Congratulations to Jeff again. I know many of you have mixed feelings about Cory Booker, but he did an excellent job for my Senator, Jeff Merkley, at a fundraiser here where they screened “Street Fight” about Booker’s first (losing) campaign for Mayor of Newark. It reminded me of a couple of episodes of The Wire. Anyway, Cory was gracious and humble.

• 51 arapaho415
      August 28, 2014 at 6:36 pm

Is it just me, or is Cory Booker keeping a low profile now?

Actually the MSM seems to have completely lost interest in all-things-NJ, while last year at this time it was impossible to escape from hearing about Christie and Booker — but absolute crickets where Barbara Buono was concerned.

• 52 Vicki
        August 28, 2014 at 7:35 pm

Low profile for sure.
        My guess is that until today he seemed to be #watingforhillary.
        I was happy to see Cory supporting jeff M.

14. 53 laraofzhivago
    August 28, 2014 at 6:07 pm

Wow!

15. 54 Nena20409
    August 28, 2014 at 6:11 pm

I went to PBSNews.com/youtube to get the POTUS’ presser today. I posted it and it didn’t show……So I will give it a few minutes and see if it pops up. I would hate to have a duplicate.

16. 55 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    August 28, 2014 at 6:13 pm

Sorry for the dup, below was the intended ICYMI:

17. 56 Nena20409
    August 28, 2014 at 6:19 pm

President Obama Today 8-28-14

18. 60 Nena20409
    August 28, 2014 at 6:20 pm

19. 61 Nena20409
    August 28, 2014 at 6:25 pm

Whenever you see president Obama and no matter what, if your 1st instinct is to nitpick, look for errors, gin up malarkey, etc……Hey it is YOU…..the wicked, racist, insignificant buffoon that has a severe case of ODS.

Go Directly to Blazes Haters.

You could NEVER Ever pull off a suit like POTUS. The man has it. Stop Your Hating, all the time!

20. 64 Nena20409
    August 28, 2014 at 6:27 pm

The Buffoons decimating the US National Press.

21. August 28, 2014 at 6:27 pm

Black man taken to jail for sitting in public area

At 9:43 a.m. on January 31, police were summoned to the skyway in downtown St. Paul’s First National Bank Building on a report of a man loitering. The video footage shows an officer asking the then-27-year-old man to provide his name.

“Why do I have to let you know who I am? Who I am isn’t the problem,” the man calmly replies.
    “Because that’s what police do when they get called,” the officer responds.

The man explains he was sitting in the skyway waiting to pick up his kids at 10 o’clock from the New Horizon Academy school. He says he had gotten off work at Cossetta at 9 a.m.

He tells the officer, “First off, that’s a public area. And if there’s no sign that [says], ‘This is a private area, you can’t sit here,’ no one can tell me I can’t sit here.”

“The problem is…” the officer says, before she’s cut off.

“The problem is I’m black. That’s the problem,” the man interjects. “It really is because I didn’t do anything wrong.”

22. August 28, 2014 at 6:30 pm
  23. 68 Nena20409
    August 28, 2014 at 6:32 pm
  24. August 28, 2014 at 6:33 pm

• 70 arapaho415
      August 28, 2014 at 6:44 pm

Whoa.

It’s amazing how the west coast seems not to exist for the MSM, unless there is an earthquake.

Everything Richardson said is beyond the pale, but I the most viscerally offensive was to compare the horrific Virginia Tech massacre to gay marriage — in a state whose most populated city is Portland, Oregon.

Can’t believe that even people in the non-Coastal, non-Interstate 5 corridor portions of the state would vote for him.

• 71 Judith Fardig
      August 28, 2014 at 7:31 pm

Richardson is a wingnut. Very few Mark Hatfield types left in the current Oregon Republican Party. Re-elect Kitzhaber!

• 72 Obama Grandmama
        August 29, 2014 at 12:08 am

Thanks for the info on Richardson. I am voting for Kitzhaber no matter what, but DR’s words arm me with info that may convince others to vote Kitzhaber too.

August 28, 2014 at 6:36 pm

26. August 28, 2014 at 6:43 pm

Fabulous post, NW. Thank you!! I’ve started looking around and seeing a lot of good news. Many of you here know Martin Longman, BooMan Tribune, consultant for DFA. He has been very accurate in his political predictions. There are always changes along the way and he takes note of those and adjusts, but he’s been saying he sees no Republican wave. This election is ours. All we have to do is get voters to the polls and people are working hard.

National TV.This is great. I feel a wave of BLUE in 2014!

• 77 SUE DUVALL SMITH
      August 28, 2014 at 6:49 pm

DEAR ALISON…CRUSH…SMASH….TRASH…PULVERIZE…ELIMINATE THE TURTLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!…AND DON’T BOTHER TO SWEEP HIM UP OFF THE PAVEMENT!!!!!!

27. 78 Nena20409
    August 28, 2014 at 6:49 pm

28. 82 globalcitizenlinda
    August 28, 2014 at 6:56 pm

I don’t know how many here were following the saga of Market Basket : in which employees, some suppliers, and the majority consuming public jointly rebelled against a new take-over CEO who was deemed hostile to workers;

yes there was also a family feud involved but the employees went on strike to oppose the ouster of a corporate leader who had always taken good care of his employees;

from the reports, the proposed replacement head (and cousin to the head favored by the employees) sounded a lot like Mitt and the leadership minted at Bain Capital ;

I am glad that the collective action of the community helped win one for the employees;

• 83 Vicki
      August 28, 2014 at 7:39 pm

I have been following this story and am absolutely overjoyed by the outcome. Arthur T is a beloved owner/boss and his people and the entire communtiy shut the business down to get this result.

29. August 28, 2014 at 6:57 pm

The article says Pres Obama set a deadline for himself that is 3 weeks away. Good article.

….As Obama’s staff has examined options during the past two months, they’ve met with at least 21 groups, including representatives of Hispanic, Irish-American, business, labor, agriculture and gay and lesbian organizations, the White House official said.

….The principle of prosecutorial discretion that is likely to be the legal linchpin for Obama’s executive action is firmly embedded in law and has long history in immigration enforcement extending back at least to the 1970s, said Stephen Legomsky, former chief counsel of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services at the Department of Homeland Security.

The idea is that Congress knowingly delegates discretion to set priorities in immigration enforcement to the president because it doesn’t provide enough funding to immediately deport all of the estimated 11.5 million undocumented immigrants in the country, Legomsky said…..

30. 85 Nena20409
    August 28, 2014 at 7:01 pm

Every time I see Mourning Joke’s ratings tanking……I let out a Yahoo sound ;)

31. 86 Nena20409
    August 28, 2014 at 7:04 pm

At least, Ron Paul has always said this……but…..Rand Paul……is shifty. Will the press care? Hmm? Which press?

• August 28, 2014 at 8:02 pm

I have no idea what Ron Paul has to say about this issue and will not take the time to read anything about his opinion on this topic or any other topic; he’s that ‘dead’ to me.

What is incontrovertible, regarding 9/11, is that at least one member of GWB’s cabinet stopped flying on commercial airliners in June/July of ’01 and the NIE that GWB failed to heed, in Aug ’01, made it clear that use of commercial planes to attack US assets was in the AQ playbook. What is also incontrovertible are the actions of GWB upon being informed of the attack – actions that to this day astonish me.

• 88 Nena20409
        August 28, 2014 at 8:50 pm

I am with you, Doc. The Bush installation regime didn’t care to know or prepare what what ended up happening. I am not a fan of either Pauls.

32. August 28, 2014 at 7:05 pm

• 90 globalcitizenlinda
      August 28, 2014 at 8:42 pm

amazing many would convert a profound statement about priority issues about war and peace into trivial matters of PBO’s suit;

I wonder what PBO thinks about the shallowness of many with media platforms/megaphones

• August 28, 2014 at 9:11 pm

He would be justified in being outraged because of the enormous harm they do, Linda.

• 92 HZ
          August 29, 2014 at 12:35 am

Thank you, Bobfr. You know your president well. It is a shame that they would do such a disservice to the people of this nation by focusing on the suit that the President of the United States was wearing rather than spread the depth of what he said. This is another awful day in this nation where’ playing journalism’ with a message from the President should call for outrage from the nation. It always shows me that these shallow people do not deserve to have a man of PBO’s brilliance stand before them. But PBO realizes that he is the peoples president. He will always do his job well. Trust me.

However, I am always so grateful to Chips for this space and all of the great contributors who can stand next to this president any day and proudly report to the American people. This is what gives me hope, TOD. They cannot trivialize his words. History will tell of this great man’s presidency in a brilliant way. Put that in the bank.

We have a world on fire, and these foolish people are focusing on the President’s suit? WTH is wrong with this nation. These fools do not deserve this great man. I truly feel this way.

Thank you again Nerdy for all that you do for this great space. Chips, you are the best, my love. You surely deserve all of our appreciation for having such brilliant and trusting contributors in this space. I am humbly grateful to you all. I love my TOD family. Focus, Together We Can, and Get into Action. We have an election to win in Nov. Be not distracted, by all means. HZ

33. 100 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    August 28, 2014 at 7:20 pm

Tweety was on in background, been too engrossed in number crunching to get up and change channel. He wants to claim hew was AGAINST the Iraq War. If I recall correctly, he was once of the #newstainers on tv, about to cream his jeans, the night we began ground operations…

August 28, 2014 at 7:34 pm

I nominate Gov Chris Christie to do the next #tansuit challenge.

35. 111 dotster3
    August 28, 2014 at 7:51 pm

I see “We don’t have a strategy” re. ISIS is the headline EVERYWHERE. If the media is not obsessing over The Suit, which is not new by the way—-I guess they wanted to paint a pic of PBO out suit shopping while all the stuff is going on, which indicates they have NO IDEA who President Obama is—he’s about as far away from a clothes horse as you can get—-even tho he always looks nice (and handsome), he is still wearing most of the same clothes he wore when I first started following him many many moons ago—–but anyhoo—-if they’re not obsessing about The Suit, they look to pluck out any phrase they can find—–out of context and incomplete—–which will send a negative message. Seems impossible but news media keeps sinking to an irresponsible new low. It’s beyond pitiful. They keep failing our country—big time.

August 28, 2014 at 7:59 pm

Well folks, this is to let you know that I’ve completed my 8hr trek (to the other side of beyond), and to thank you for your positive, virtual accompaniment. Knowing some of you were traveling with me definitely helped to ease the stress. It took every minute of the EIGHT hours, but I think it only did so because nobody had told the residents that rush hour isn’t meant to be an all-day phenomenon. Apart from traffic snarls, I daresay I could have done the trip in a little over 7hrs. ;) Now the next few days here will be spent trying to get a place close to the university for offspring to rent, IF he doesn’t get to the top of the waiting list. Kind of a weird way to do things, IMO because the uni-vee already has his deposit for 1st month rent. Anyhoo…!

• 115 GGAIL
      August 28, 2014 at 8:33 pm

Hi vc! So happy to see you made the trip safe and sound! Tell my nephew hello.

August 28, 2014 at 8:42 pm

Nephew says ‘Hello, Aunt G-G’ and thanks!

We tried calling you at the mid-way point when we stopped for gas but he couldn’t find your number on my jumbled phone. ( I haven’t tidied up and identified my previous calls so he couldn’t tell which was your number. :roll:)

• 117 GGAIL
          August 28, 2014 at 9:48 pm

Here’s.an idea… Get nephew.settled, have him ride back with you, then he can return to school via public.transportation…plane, train, etc.

August 28, 2014 at 9:54 pm

Thanks, GG, but that would prove seriously more stressful for me than for him!

My biggest worry now really is the getting settled part as offspring needs quiet, and his age group peers are not known necessarily for quiet living. Sharing a house with anyone is bound to be an issue, so please help to pray that he gets into ‘single’ housing on campus.

• August 28, 2014 at 8:35 pm

Glad you are safe, VC, and wishing you and ‘off spring’ a much easier time finding habitat than your journey to the uni-vee!

August 28, 2014 at 8:51 pm

‘off spring’ :grin: :grin:

Thanks, Bobfr. Not sure how I’ll find my way home, as I wouldn’t have made it so effortlessly here without his help. Sure I had a printout from Google Maps, but driving on busy highways plus trying to decipher (what I consider) tiny signs with ‘foreign’ names was challenging for someone who doesn’t like to drive in unfamiliar areas. I already know I don’t know HOW to retrace my steps, but that’s a worry for another day. ;) For today, we made it here (with TOD support) – ‘thank you, lord!’

• August 28, 2014 at 9:44 pm

Glad you made it, VC, and I’m sure you’ll find a way to ‘retrace your steps.’ Would suggest you select several exits/landmarks on the return path and exit at each and check your map, ask for help if necessary. You’ll be fine.

• 123 MightyPamela
          August 28, 2014 at 11:39 pm

VC, just go back the way you came! :) :) <3 (see email)

August 29, 2014 at 8:22 am

Easier said than done, MP! Apart from the one way streets and summer(? – looks pretty ‘permanent’ to me) construction, I’m almost convinced they had us going in concentric circles. I’m normally pretty good with north-south, east-west directions, but ..I don’t know. As an example, they had me going on Autoroute 20 for hours and hours; next thing I’m going north on Autoroute 40, then, Autoroute 30 for a while, then a couple other numbers in between, only to find myself heading south for ages before finding myself back on Autoroute 20 for another couple of hours!!!! I’m virtually convinced there’s a scam in there somewhere. ;) And all of these norths and souths – when I was clearly headed east were a part of the google directions! Really weird, if you ask me, but here I am, having driven all the way to ‘La belle province’ as the only driver! :) :) Bring on Mt. Everest!

• 125 jackiegrumbacher
      August 28, 2014 at 10:35 pm

Glad you’re back safe, VC.

August 28, 2014 at 10:40 pm

I’m not back yet, JackieG, but thanks for the positive vibes. I’m currently sitting in a hotel room, trying to unwind so that I can get some sleep …fingers crossed. I am quite tired and sleepy.

37. August 28, 2014 at 8:05 pm

38. August 28, 2014 at 8:11 pm

39. 132 dotster3
    August 28, 2014 at 8:11 pm

• August 28, 2014 at 8:50 pm

From the Article

“We’ve gone from having presidents who talk at us or about us like we’re not even part of the firmament of this country to having a president who IS us. That he is willing to say out loud for all to hear what we murmur in private is why he gets the applause and ovations his critics refuse to hear..”

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

40. August 28, 2014 at 8:31 pm

41. August 28, 2014 at 8:31 pm

42. August 28, 2014 at 8:33 pm

43. 139 dotster3
    August 28, 2014 at 8:34 pm

44. 140 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    August 28, 2014 at 8:35 pm

August 28, 2014 at 8:47 pm

How about enough about the suit, like I always say when it comes to FLOTUS and what she wears, if she likes what she is wearing then that settles it. Well if POTUS like the suit color, that settles it.

45. 143 Jeff
    August 28, 2014 at 9:12 pm

I can’t believe I know people that are supportive of Russia and what they are doing in Ukraine. It got to the point that I had to ignore him and try not to get too pissed off.

46. 145 99ts
    August 28, 2014 at 9:24 pm

Listening to Rachel – seems Sam Wang is the man to follow this election

47. 156 99ts
    August 28, 2014 at 9:31 pm

So Rachel giving the Ken Sorenson story – the relationship to McConnell – and notes “it seems the press has not yet caught up with this one”

Gosh – the political press doesn’t want to talk about the GOP paying bribes to achieve their ends – who would have thought

August 28, 2014 at 10:20 pm

No the press have not caught up with this Sorenson scandal, they rather talk about POTUS suit color. That’s what the press have sunk too

48. 158 Nena20409
    August 28, 2014 at 9:34 pm

49. 159 99ts
    August 28, 2014 at 9:40 pm

I find it just amazing – the whiff of a political/money/sex scandal and dems fold and go away – it has the OPPOSITE impact on the GOP – the bigger the scandal, the more they use it to get re-elected – and the media NEVER describes the b.s. of what they do.

50. 160 Nena20409
    August 28, 2014 at 9:41 pm

51. 161 Nena20409
    August 28, 2014 at 9:46 pm

August 28, 2014 at 9:47 pm

53. 163 Nena20409
    August 28, 2014 at 9:50 pm

54. 164 Nena20409
    August 28, 2014 at 9:52 pm

On this Great News Tonight,…..I bid TOD, G’Nite ;)

55. August 28, 2014 at 9:55 pm

56. August 28, 2014 at 9:56 pm

57. August 28, 2014 at 9:56 pm

58. 170 99ts
    August 28, 2014 at 10:15 pm

Does she have to be anti the President to win in Kentucky – I sure would have to hold my nose to vote for her – if the interview with Lawrence is anything to go by.

• 171 Alycee (@jazziz2)
      August 28, 2014 at 10:18 pm

Sad; however, I guess she knows her constituents. I’m sure true blue dems WON’T vote for Mitch, and if it takes shifting right to gain fence sitters and republicans, so be it. Will be keeping a close eye on her in the senate…

• 172 99ts
        August 28, 2014 at 10:23 pm

“Will be keeping a close eye on her in the senate…”

Luv the conclusion reached to write that last sentence :) As you say – she will say what is needed to win.

August 28, 2014 at 10:23 pm

The Democrats need to keep control of the Senate, and we have to do what ever we can to win. I was impress with Mrs Grimmes

59. September 1, 2014 at 11:39 am

Great post NW…although everyone tend to ignore the mandate!!!
    #shame.